PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The Doggity Report: Week One

gblowfish
09-14-2015, 12:55 PM
My friend Mr. Doggity blogs the Chiefs kind of like how I do my Top Ten stuff here on the CP. I'm not going to link, because last time many of you said you didn't like his interface, and it was too hard to read. So I'll cut and paste him. All comments should be directed to Mr. Doggity. Don't kill the messenger - find him at:
http://doggitychiefs.blogspot.com/2015/09/week-1-chiefs-27-at-texans-20.html

Week 1 - Chiefs 27 at Texans 20

WEEK ONE: Back in the saddle for the classic "Cowboys and Indians" matchup, except this time the Indians won. This was clearly a tale of two halves. Kansas City came out of the gate hot, scoring on five of their first six possessions. The defense continued last year's QB harassment but thankfully added another dimension - +2 in turnovers. The second half, the good guys kind of went into autopilot mode, and allowed the Texans to think they could get back into the game. In the end, the biggest catch so far of Jeremy Maclin's Chiefs career came when he gathered up the onside kick and went to a knee.

OFFENSE: The O-line looks like a quilt. Not one starter from last year's starting line, in fact a rookie under center, a guard making his first NFL start and a tackle that just arrived in town last week, and had about four days to study the complex Andy Reid playbook. And all they had to do is face arguably the nastiest defensive line in the NFL, and unquestionably the best individual defensive player in J. J. Watt. The line held up. They did allow Watt a couple of sacks and a total of six tackles behind the line, but they never let him disrupt the game the way is capable of doing. On the other hand, the line could not open running lanes, and Jamaal and Knile were never able to get anything going on the ground. This lack of a running game hampered the ability to chew up the clock and salt away the game in the second half. Kelce was a beast with six grabs for 106 and two scores. Maclin had a respectable day, as well - almost making a circus catch in the second half that was overturned on review. Maclin is a major upgrade from Bowe. For one thing, he led the NFL last year with the fewest dropped balls. Smith was very efficient, completing over 2/3 of his attempts with no picks and three TD's. He also picked up a couple of first downs with his legs. At least one of those looked like a designed play - an old fashioned, Barry Switzer-style Oklahoma option. Solid job against a solid defense on the road, indoors.

DEFENSE: The front seven remains the best unit in league, in my opinion. Bringing back Poe, DeVito, Johnson and the emergence of Ford, plus the incomparable duo of Hali and Houston clearly put this bunch in elite status. The real unsung gamers yesterday were backups Jaye Howard and Allen Bailey. Howard had a sack, and Bailey had two, they made 9 tackles between them and Bailey had a fumble recovery on a QB strip by Houston. Safety is another strength on this team with Parker, Abdullah and Berry. However the corners were exposed a bit in the second half. Young Marcus Peters showed flashes, making a nice pick of the Texan's first pass attempt. He showed great recovery speed to break up passes. But he plays too far off receivers and got burned a few times. There were two TD's scored on him, although he had decent position on both, he couldn't make the play. Fleming is probably the weak link, as he attempts to fill in for Sean Smith, who is suspended for an offseason DUI. He was second on the team in tackles, but that was mostly because his man caught the ball a lot. He got away with an interference in the first half, and was often not in good position, or did not look back for the ball. That will get you flagged in this league, more often than not. Expect Manning to look for #30 early and often on Thursday.

SPECIALS: We still have the best punter in the NFL, despite two touchbacks on balls that could have been downed inside the 5, caused by flyers who stepped over the goal line. Santos looked pretty solid except on that 50-yarder. It was 4th and 1 there, and at that stage of the game, I'd have gone for it. What do you have to lose? Even if you don't make it, the ball is still 7 or 8 yards farther back than if you miss the field goal. The goof ups by the flyers not having the presence to know where the goal line is, cost the team on two drives. DAT, on the other hand, had a great game. He had over a 16 yard average on punt returns. You'll take that every day. Thomas had one fumble, but thankfully KC recovered it. The punt and kick coverage teams did a solid job, allowing just 3.5 yards per return.

THROW HIM A BONE: I'm giving it this week to Travis Kelce. What more can you ask of the guy? Over 100 yards receiving and two scores, sure. You expect that. But he also did a respectable job blocking - not usually his forté - against a very aggressive defense.

DOGGITY DOG: I like it when it's hard to decide because there were not really any stinky performances, but I'm giving it to Eric "oh! I think it's broken!" Fisher, who, despite a full week of practice at right tackle, suddenly came up lame when he had to start against J. J. Watt, forcing Reid to start a guy who was playing X-box a week ago.

The AFC WEST:
Doper Donkeys - They barely escaped at home against the Ravens in what had to be the worst looking game by two allegedly good teams that I can remember. Both teams had their only TD's on Pick-6's. Neither Peyton Manning or Joe Flacco - about $40 million worth of 2015 payroll - could find the end zone. In fact, the first play for either team inside the red zone didn't come until late in the 3rd quarter, and it only lasted one play before the runner was thrown for a loss. This was as riveting as a nil-nil draw in a rec-league soccer match.

Beach Bum Bolts - They also barely won at home against the Lions. Phyllis Rivers throw two INT's including a pick-6 in the first half and fell behind 21-3. But the Lions did what they do best, blew a big lead and wrapped up the narrow victory with a bow on top for San Diego.

East Bay Convicts - The Raiders are the Raiders, aren't they? They were mauled at home by the Bengals, and likely lost their only good player, Derek Carr with a hand injury.

NEXT UP: Donkeys come to The Head for Thursday Night Football, baby!

stumppy
09-14-2015, 01:30 PM
Good read.

gblowfish
09-14-2015, 01:39 PM
Doggity predicts Danny Noonan will be our starting left tackle vs. Denver...

SAUTO
09-14-2015, 04:27 PM
Good read

KChiefs1
09-14-2015, 04:38 PM
Good read.

Hammock Parties
09-14-2015, 04:43 PM
Sorry, but I still remain unconvinced that Maclin is any kind of upgrade to Bowe.

5 catches for 52 yards...very Bowe-like numbers.

ThaVirus
09-14-2015, 04:48 PM
Sorry, but I still remain unconvinced that Maclin is any kind of upgrade to Bowe.

A player can have a hell of an impact without showing up on the stat sheet

Eleazar
09-14-2015, 04:49 PM
Anyone have any links to any other random people's blogs?

rabblerouser
09-14-2015, 04:55 PM
Doggity predicts Danny Noonan will be our starting left tackle vs. Denver...

Herman's Hermits??

Hammock Parties
09-14-2015, 04:56 PM
A player can have a hell of an impact without showing up on the stat sheet

Were we better on third down? No.

Did we have more long scoring drives? No.

More big plays? Certainly not.

We scored 27 points so people are happy but 17 of those happened because of the defense.

Waiting to see Maclin be better than Bowe because so far, he isn't.

rabblerouser
09-14-2015, 04:58 PM

We scored 27 points so people are happy but 17 of those happened because of the defense.

First of all, making weight, not being suspended, and being on the active roster automatically makes Maclin better than Nowe. I mean Bowe.

And yes; this is still the same team with the same problems.

SAUTO
09-14-2015, 04:59 PM

JFC, you are really trolling now, no way you are this fucking stupid.

Hammock Parties
09-14-2015, 05:05 PM
JFC, you are really trolling now, no way you are this fucking stupid.

I'm not trolling. I've been saying it for months. No evidence since has convinced me otherwise.

SAUTO
09-14-2015, 05:13 PM
I'm not trolling. I've been saying it for months. No evidence since has convinced me otherwise.

Then you aren't watching, or are truly a dumbass.

In reality it's probably a lot of both mixed.

BigMeatballDave
09-14-2015, 06:38 PM

http://allthingsd.com/files/2011/11/double_facepalm.png

frozenchief
09-14-2015, 07:00 PM

There were several bits of evidence that Maclin is better than Bowe. On the pass that was overturned because of bullshit NFL rules, Maclin caught the ball. It would have bounced out of Bowe's hands at best. More than likely it would have landed somewhere in Bowe's vicinity while the corner was glued to him.

On Maclin's catches, he established he could get separation from the corner. Bowe couldn't. (Still can't. Hell, he was inactive for the shitstains, I mean, the Browns.)

Maclin got the onside catch.

His numbers were not great but I view that more as playcalling than anything else. One of those touchdowns goes to Maclin instead of Kelce and Maclin's numbers are far different.

I also think some of Maclin's issues are Smith's conservative play. I'm not trying to open that door but there were a couple of plays where Smith ran out of bounds or threw the ball away instead of staying, taking the hit and throwing to Maclin. Maybe he would have made it. Maybe not. But I can't help but think that QBs like Brady, Rogers or Favre would have made pass attempts in at least a few of those situations.

To me it is significant that our O-line, patched together as it is, gave Smith enough time to make the plays he did against an excellent front 7. Given the abilities Maclin showed last year, and showed yesterday, I think that this duo will improve over this year. The biggest issue, though, is whether Smith will feel more comfortable airing it out. That remains to be seen.

Dante84
09-14-2015, 07:42 PM
So are you two Facebook official yet, or what?

DaFace
09-14-2015, 07:47 PM
Nice write-up. I always like reading different perspectives, even though they largely tell different stories. It's interesting to see what different people pick up.

Has Mr. Doggity ever posted on the Planet? I know you've mentioned his name numerous times, but couldn't remember if he was ever a poster here.

MMXcalibur
09-14-2015, 07:49 PM
When the Chiefs are rolling, nobody let Clay on the bandwagon.

Hoover
09-14-2015, 07:53 PM

Apparently you choose box scores over actually watching the game. Maclin looked GREAT

Bwana
09-14-2015, 08:10 PM
Good stuff :thumb:

Titty Meat
09-14-2015, 09:35 PM

Bowe's not even playing STFU

gblowfish
09-14-2015, 09:40 PM
Nice write-up. I always like reading different perspectives, even though they largely tell different stories. It's interesting to see what different people pick up.

Has Mr. Doggity ever posted on the Planet? I know you've mentioned his name numerous times, but couldn't remember if he was ever a poster here.

He hates the negativity here. Mostly coming from me.

gblowfish
09-14-2015, 09:44 PM
Anyone have any links to any other random people's blogs?
I asked Peter King to post something, but he can't stand the poop threads on here....