PDA

View Full Version : Football Rashad Jennings told not to score by Giants

DaNewGuy
09-14-2015, 02:50 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/13656963/rashad-jennings-new-york-giants-says-was-told-not-score-end-dallas-cowboys-game?sf13059153=1 On my phone at work can CP post the whole story for me

Bowser
09-14-2015, 02:52 PM
New York Giants running back Rashad Jennings confirmed Monday that he was ordered not to score on two run plays inside the Dallas Cowboys' 5-yard line with less than two minutes left in Sunday night's game and the Giants leading by three.

"On the first-down play, I was told, 'Rashad, don't score,'" Jennings said. "On second down, 'Rashad, don't score.' I was tempted to say, 'Forget it,' and go score because I could. But I didn't want to be that guy. But definitely, I was asked not to score."

Jennings said his orders came in the huddle from quarterback Eli Manning, who spoke with him after the game and took responsibility for the way things turned out -- a 27-26 loss. Jennings said he was under the impression that Manning was relaying orders he got from the sideline.

Offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo is the Giants' offensive playcaller, but coach Tom Coughlin has the power to overrule him. Coughlin took responsibility for the late-game play calling Sunday night. McAdoo is permitted to speak to the media only once a week, and not after games.

Editor's Picks

Graziano: Giants' defense bends, then breaks -- big time

Even worse than Eli Manning's terrible decision to throw out of the back of the end zone was the fact that Tony Romo shredded the Giants' defense on a pair of lightning-quick, fourth-quarter drives when the Giants should have had the Cowboys put away.

Somehow, Cowboys win as Tony Romo delivers late

Almost in spite of themselves, the Dallas Cowboys were able to beat the New York Giants on Sunday. Somehow.

After the game, Jennings told ESPN, "As a running back, it's really tough when they tell you not to score" but didn't elaborate.

Jennings said this was the first time he has been given such an order since he was in college, and back then the reason was that his team had a lead and a chance to run out the clock with the ball still in its hands. That wasn't the case Sunday, but it still was odd to ask Jennings not to score.

Had he scored a touchdown on first down and Josh Brown hit the 33-yard extra point, the Giants would have led by 10 with 1:50 left. Had he scored on second down, there would have been 1:43 left.

Part of the problem was that the Giants were confused about the timeout situation. Jennings said Monday that he and the rest of the team believed the Cowboys had called their final timeout after the first-down play. That was based on the belief that the Cowboys had called their second timeout after Odell Beckham Jr.'s third-down catch the play before.

But Dallas had not been charged with a timeout there. The clock had stopped because the Cowboys were called for an offside penalty on Beckham's catch. Even though the Giants declined the penalty, the rules say the clock stops after such a penalty in the final five minutes of the fourth quarter.

The NFL said the clock used to run on the snap after all penalty calls but that in 1985 the rules were changed to shorten game time, allowing the clock to run following certain penalty calls prior to the 5:00 mark of the fourth quarter.

The league kept the traditional timing rules in place for that critical end-of-game period, as well as for the final two minutes of the first half, because, NFL spokesman Michael Signora said Monday, those are "particularly exciting parts of games" and "there was no desire to reduce the number of plays that might occur in those time segments."

"On the first-down play, I was told, "Rashad, don't score." On second down, "Rashad, don't score." I was tempted to say, "Forget it," and go score because I could. But I didn't want to be that guy."

Giants running back Rashad Jennings, on not scoring at the end of Sunday's game vs. Dallas

When Jennings was told not to score on second down, the Giants believed they would be able to churn 40 seconds off the clock and run their third-down play with a little more than a minute to go. When the Cowboys stopped the clock with 1:43 to go after the second-down run, the Giants were surprised.

As for the runs themselves, Jennings insists he could have scored on either one.

"On one of them it would've been a grind," Jennings said. "But on the other, I cut the wrong way [on purpose] and found somewhere soft to fall."

Jennings and the Giants were obviously disappointed to lose a game they led by three with the ball on the opponent's 1-yard line and less than two minutes to go. Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo went down the field "like a knife through butter," in the words of Coughlin, for the game-winning touchdown after Manning threw an incomplete pass on third down and the Giants settled for a field goal.

But while the instructions surprised him, Jennings wanted to make it clear that he wasn't second-guessing whoever told him not to score.

"I'm not mad," he said. "We're doing this as a team, and we thought it was best for us not to score at that point. Of course I wanted to, but that's just the football player in you."

The night didn't get a lot better for the Giants, whose departure from Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport was held up until 4 a.m. CT, delaying their arrival in Newark, New Jersey, to 9 a.m. ET.

Frosty
09-14-2015, 02:55 PM
Giants should have run two more times and actually tried to score when they did run.

-King-
09-14-2015, 02:55 PM
Tom Coughlin ladies and gentlemen.

mdchiefsfan
09-14-2015, 02:56 PM
Another example of why you play to win; not play to not lose. Just score and let the chips fall where they may.

DaFace
09-14-2015, 02:57 PM
Someone needs fired. They were down by 3 at the time, so a touchdown would have put them up by 9 minimum, and most likely 10.

There are times that it can be a good strategy to burn clock rather than score. However, this was not one of them.

wazu
09-14-2015, 02:57 PM
Incredible. That loss had to hurt for Guants fans as much as a regular season game can. I'd feel sorry for them, but I root for the Chiefs.

notorious
09-14-2015, 02:59 PM
That pretty much does it for Coughlin.

Of course, the last time this was said they won a Superbowl.........

Rain Man
09-14-2015, 03:00 PM
"Scoring too fast" can occasionally be an issue when you're up by one score. It's never an issue when it puts you up by two scores in the final two minutes.

jimidollar
09-14-2015, 03:04 PM
This is the dumbest shit I've ever heard. Score, motherflippers!!

chiefzilla1501
09-14-2015, 03:06 PM
The pass on third down wasn't bad, elis execution was bad. If what Jennings is saying is true, then holy shit this is another level of stupid

Hootie
09-14-2015, 03:13 PM
it makes no sense

...you go up by 10, and the game is over. It just is. It would take a Bostick level of dipshittery to even get close to having that game go into OT and it would still require Dallas scoring a TD and a FG, with no timeouts, in 90 seconds

...however, not a good professional move on Jennings part for selling out his QB/coach

rabblerouser
09-14-2015, 03:18 PM
And there are people who think this shit isn't rigged

ROFL

big nasty kcnut
09-14-2015, 03:22 PM
That what his girlfriend told him the night before the game!

Nzoner
09-14-2015, 03:22 PM
it makes no sense

...you go up by 10, and the game is over. It just is. It would take a Bostick level of dipshittery to even get close to having that game go into OT and it would still require Dallas scoring a TD and a FG, with no timeouts, in 90 seconds

...however, not a good professional move on Jennings part for selling out his QB/coach

It makes perfect sense if a few of the boys in the good 'ol network has a shipload of cash on the Dallas moneyline :D

loochy
09-14-2015, 03:24 PM
wow.

wow that they asked him to do this

wow that they asked him to do it again

wow that they then THREW THE BALL after that

wow that he actually comes out and says this

just wow

Reerun_KC
09-14-2015, 03:25 PM
And yet people don't think the longer XP and 2 pt conversion wont cause a coach to panic because of the risk...

NFL coaches aren't the smartest when it comes to basic logic...

Hootie
09-14-2015, 03:26 PM
meh

i'm leaving this thread ... i'm not gonna sit here and argue stupid bullshit about the NFL being rigged

rabblerouser
09-14-2015, 03:27 PM
It makes perfect sense if a few of the boys in the good 'ol network has a shipload of cash on the Dallas moneyline :D

Yup. Then it makes PERFECT sense. Manning gets the call in his helmet...passes it on to Jennings.

If Jennings scores, Dallas has NO CHANCE of winning.

All the sudden, Romo to Williams/Dunbar (i think??) looks like Montana to Rice/Taylor against the Bengals and Dallas wins by 1.

rabblerouser
09-14-2015, 03:28 PM
meh

i'm leaving this thread ... i'm not gonna sit here and argue stupid bullshit about the NFL being rigged

You'd rather shake your head in disbelief and go "it makes no sense" than to understand what DOES make sense??

rabblerouser
09-14-2015, 03:32 PM
wow.

just wow

After January 2013 playoff against the Colts...nothing's shocking to me.

The lead that was too good to be true...WAS too good to be true.

gblowfish
09-14-2015, 03:34 PM
BEAT
THAT
SPREAD!!!

rabblerouser
09-14-2015, 03:36 PM
BEAT
THAT
SPREAD!!!

ROFL

DaFace
09-14-2015, 03:37 PM
wow.

just wow

Yep. I can almost be OK with him being told not to score if the plan is to run it again on 3rd down to get the clock under a minute. But even then, I'll take a 10-point lead with 2 minutes on the clock over a 3 point lead with 50 seconds on the clock every single time.

rabblerouser
09-14-2015, 03:39 PM
Yep. I can almost be OK with him being told not to score if the plan is to run it again on 3rd down to get the clock under a minute. But even then, I'll take a 10-point lead with 2 minutes on the clock over a 3 point lead with 50 seconds on the clock every single time.

If you want to win.

Andy Reid has done exactly that (Arizona last year??)

-King-
09-14-2015, 03:46 PM
Well this thread took a turn for the retarded
Posted via Mobile Device

DaNewGuy
09-14-2015, 03:53 PM
I knew Rabble would be here in a heartbeat lol

rabblerouser
09-14-2015, 04:19 PM
I knew Rabble would be here in a heartbeat lol

I've got rousing to rabble!!

rabblerouser
09-14-2015, 04:28 PM
Well this thread took a turn for the retarded
Posted via Mobile Device

What do expect me to post in this thread???

Do you expect me to stand around with all the other low-rent bottom feeders, mouth agape and honestly stunned??

No...I'VE SEEN THIS BEFORE, LOL.

I'm not shocked, surprised, hurt, perplexed, confused or even slightly wondrous as to how Dallas won, or why Coughlin instructed Manning to orchestrate the dive.

highBOLTage
09-14-2015, 06:34 PM
Tom Coughlin ladies and gentlemen.

And yet people don't think the longer XP and 2 pt conversion wont cause a coach to panic because of the risk...

NFL coaches aren't the smartest when it comes to basic logic...

Clicking the link and reading: Jennings says Eli told him not to score. Coughlin says he did not tell Eli to have Jennings not score. Eli got confuzzled on how many TOs Dallas had left and thought it would be better to get rid of the TOs versus going up 10 pts. :)

rabblerouser
09-14-2015, 06:53 PM
Clicking the link and reading: Jennings says Eli told him not to score. Coughlin says he did not tell Eli to have Jennings not score. Eli got confuzzled on how many TOs Dallas had left and thought it would be better to get rid of the TOs versus going up 10 pts. :)

Yeah.

Because being up 2 scores is sometimes not better than being up 1 score, depending on how many TOs your opponent has left :hmmm:

MahiMike
09-14-2015, 07:01 PM
The fix is in!

Kaepernick
09-14-2015, 07:05 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/13656963/rashad-jennings-new-york-giants-says-was-told-not-score-end-dallas-cowboys-game?sf13059153=1 On my phone at work can CP post the whole story for me

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y517/Fotoman7/BugsBunnyMaroon_zps5e1d22dd.jpg

Rain Man
09-14-2015, 08:15 PM
I kind of wish that Herm Edwards would comment on this.

cmh6476
09-14-2015, 08:18 PM
he was going against him in his fantasy league while cruz started julio

Smed1065
09-14-2015, 08:29 PM

Just to flip shit @ conspiracy theory.

Over/Under was 42 IIRC so Giants had money on under.

Philly had the over so scored.

:hmmm:

Rain Man
09-14-2015, 08:44 PM
he was going against him in his fantasy league while cruz started julio

It would be interesting if some player in a meaningless late-season game whiffed a tackle so his fantasy team could win. I wonder what the league would do about that. Apparently it's not technically gambling, right?

Smed1065
09-14-2015, 08:46 PM
It would be interesting if some player in a meaningless late-season game whiffed a tackle so his fantasy team could win. I wonder what the league would do about that. Apparently it's not technically gambling, right?

Be awful hard to prove esp with RG in charge....

Nzoner
09-14-2015, 09:06 PM
Just to flip shit @ conspiracy theory.

Over/Under was 42 IIRC so Giants had money on under.

Philly had the over so scored.

:hmmm:

I got the O/A at 52 and 56 so that makes no sense

Hootie
09-14-2015, 09:12 PM
Yeah no way the Dallas/NYG O/U was only 42

Simply Red
09-14-2015, 09:16 PM
Sandy Hook hoax then the VA reporter shooting, now this crap!

Buehler445
09-14-2015, 09:17 PM
Someone needs fired. They were down by 3 at the time, so a touchdown would have put them up by 9 minimum, and most likely 10.

There are times that it can be a good strategy to burn clock rather than score. However, this was not one of them.

This. I don't care who you are. You are fucking fired.

Incredible. That loss had to hurt for Guants fans as much as a regular season game can. I'd feel sorry for them, but I root for the Chiefs.

Fuck the Giants. We always shit the bed against them. Do you remember that Tiki Barber fuckfest? Fuck them. Right in the fucking eye.

rabblerouser
09-14-2015, 09:56 PM
This. I don't care who you are. You are ****ing fired.

**** the Giants. We always shit the bed against them. Do you remember that Tiki Barber ****fest? **** them. Right in the ****ing eye.

Oh yeah. 2005.

I remember that. We couldn't stop the run and couldn't run.

Horrid.

Smed1065
09-14-2015, 11:20 PM
I got the O/A at 52 and 56 so that makes no sense

My bad meant 52 when I checked.

thabear04
09-15-2015, 10:14 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">For all of your phone and desktop wallpaper needs ... <a href="http://t.co/Zykwr0W89P">pic.twitter.com/Zykwr0W89P</a></p>&mdash; SportsPickle (@sportspickle) <a href="https://twitter.com/sportspickle/status/643770141902282752">September 15, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Valiant
09-15-2015, 11:26 AM

also the fact how the fuck you not know the timeouts. Every QB I have ever seen talk about the fields say they look at the scoreboard and monitors, those things show the timeouts.

This is just very strange. No fucking football player past HS would think one score is lead is better than a two score lead.

9-10 point lead with under 2 minutes vs. 6 point with a minute plus??

One you would just need to march in a minute and score one TD to win the other you would need to march score a TD, then convert the onside kick and then connect on a FG to win or tie the game in under two??

rabblerouser
09-15-2015, 11:41 AM
also the fact how the **** you not know the timeouts. Every QB I have ever seen talk about the fields say they look at the scoreboard and monitors, those things show the timeouts.

This is just very strange. No ****ing football player past HS would think one score is lead is better than a two score lead.

9-10 point lead with under 2 minutes vs. 6 point with a minute plus??

One you would just need to march in a minute and score one TD to win the other you would need to march score a TD, then convert the onside kick and then connect on a FG to win or tie the game in under two??
Yeah, let's fall down twice and wildly overthrow out the back of the end zone on 3rd, kick the FG, and go into a 2-man prevent!!

They'll NEVER see that coming!! ;)

petegz28
09-15-2015, 11:53 AM
This. I don't care who you are. You are ****ing fired.

**** the Giants. We always shit the bed against them. Do you remember that Tiki Barber ****fest? **** them. Right in the ****ing eye.

https://youtu.be/rb7FgSzeGqg