PDA

View Full Version : Football Big Ben: Steelers practice 2-point tries every day, will 'keep doing it' in games

DaFace
09-23-2015, 08:45 PM
If the end result of the new rule is to dramatically increase 2-point conversions, I will be ecstatic.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13723921/ben-roethlisberger-says-pittsburgh-steelers-keep-going-2-point-conversions

Big Ben: Steelers practice 2-point tries every day, will 'keep doing it' in games
Jeremy Fowler, ESPN Senior NFL Writer

PITTSBURGH -- The Steelers are setting the tone in a new era of 2-point conversions, and that isn't stopping any time soon, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said.

The Steelers are 3-for-3 on 2-point tries in the NFL's first season of extra points attempted from the 15-yard line instead of the 2, tempting offenses to double down because of the increased chances of missed kicks. Last Sunday, Pittsburgh became the first team in 17 years to successfully make a 2-pointer in the first quarter of a game.

"Oh, we're going to keep doing it," Roethlisberger said. "We don't practice it this much to not do it. We practice it every single day. ... I tried to tell you guys early on that we would do it, and I think you guys kind of didn't quite believe it. But it's something we feel comfortable with."

Kickers have missed nine extra-point attempts through two games, compared with eight from all of last season. The nine missed extra points are the most in the NFL since 2010, when 11 extra points were missed all season, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

After Heath Miller's 2-yard touchdown catch in the first quarter of Sunday's 43-18 win over San Francisco, the Steelers kept kicker Josh Scobee on the sideline while the offense stayed on the field. The Steelers got the 8-0 lead thanks to Roethlisberger's connection with Antonio Brown in the end zone.

In the second quarter, still no Scobee. Roethlisberger found Miller for a score and a 16-3 lead. Scobee missed his first extra point attempt, which came after the Steelers' third touchdown of the day.

Roethlisberger likes the advantage of taking a bigger-than-expected early lead, just as the Colts did in 1998 off an extra-point fake.

"If you're up 8-0 and they go score, they have a decision to make," said Roethlisberger of opponents. "We feel like we're a team that's going to do it enough that it's going to be hard to get a beat on us."

Each week, Roethlisberger and quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner select their seven favorite plays at the goal line, then rank them. They can use the plays in that week's game or carry them over to the next.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher, who's long been involved in NFL competition matters, said the league wanted teams to face difficult choices with the conversion, but he figured the philosophical shift among coaches would happen later in the year.

"Obviously they've got 2-point plays that are working," Fisher, whose team hosts the Steelers in Week 3, said. "Obviously we are going to have to spend a lot of time on it. That's Mike [Tomlin's] choice. I think we are going to see more and more of it as the season goes on."

Discuss Thrower
09-23-2015, 08:47 PM
While it's definitely more exciting and the logical thing to do, what happens when some player gets detonated on a 2 pointer that winds up being ultimately pointless to the final outcome of the game?

mr. tegu
09-23-2015, 08:47 PM
Once we accomplish throwing the ball past the line of scrimmage near the end zone I wouldn't mind seeing some two point attempts.

Marcellus
09-23-2015, 08:48 PM
Its a smart strategy, even before the change in PAT distance.

TambaBerry
09-23-2015, 08:55 PM
Well 9 misses in two games is a lot of misses

TLO
09-23-2015, 08:57 PM
While it's definitely more exciting and the logical thing to do, what happens when some player gets detonated on a 2 pointer that winds up being ultimately pointless to the final outcome of the game?
Not sure if serious.

cdcox
09-23-2015, 09:00 PM
I wondered how long it would take a team to decide to focus on getting really good at 2 point attempts. Sooner than I thought. The thing is, if you can get good enough on 2 point attempts that the math makes sense from the new PAT distance, it probably made sense at the old PAT distance too.

Discuss Thrower
Not sure if serious.

My point is it's an additional exposure to injury that would not have occurred prior to the rule change.

NFL can't have it both ways when it comes to player safety.

Easy 6
Once we accomplish throwing the ball past the line of scrimmage near the end zone I wouldn't mind seeing some two point attempts.

TimBone
09-23-2015, 09:28 PM
Two weeks, not two games. Your point still stands though. Definitely a lot of misses now that it's been moved back.

DaFace
09-23-2015, 09:30 PM
My point is it's an additional exposure to injury that would not have occurred prior to the rule change.

I suppose that's true in the strictest sense but seems to overstate the real risk here. It's one thing to make a rule to make it so you can't blow up a receiver in the ribs when fully extended to make a catch. This is just a normal, everyday play that isn't any more risky than 100 other plays per game.

chiefzilla1501
09-23-2015, 09:36 PM
If I was stuck with scobee as a kicker, I would consider the same strategy.

CoMoChief
09-23-2015, 09:47 PM
What else are the Steelers gonna do? Run their kicker they got off the street out there to miss FG's...or advance the ball 6ft ???

Seems like a pretty easy decision to me.

Simply Red
09-23-2015, 09:51 PM
Two weeks, not two games. Your point still stands though. Definitely a lot of misses now that it's been moved back.

Very nice motion there Tim, it shows a solid effort to maintain friendship with TambaBerry.

It says - "listen friend 'look, you were somewhat off' - but it is okay" "what you said is true, but slightly off" "but still okay and stays true"

Nice move Tim. I don't suspect you'll make many enemies soon, on CP. :clap:

tk13
09-23-2015, 10:02 PM
I think the most interesting aspect of it would be the effect on roster makeup. If you evolved into a league where everyone went for two all the time... would teams start focusing more on making sure they excelled in short yardage plays? Everyone talks about chunk plays, but you'd have games being decided by who executed a two yard goal line play the best.

Discuss Thrower
09-23-2015, 10:03 PM
I think the most interesting aspect of it would be the effect on roster makeup. If you evolved into a league where everyone went for two all the time... would teams start focusing more on making sure they excelled in short yardage plays? Everyone talks about chunk plays, but you'd have games being decided by who executed a two yard goal line play the best.

Moar buttsechz footbaol

tk13
09-23-2015, 10:04 PM
What else are the Steelers gonna do? Run their kicker they got off the street out there to miss FG's...or advance the ball 6ft ???

Seems like a pretty easy decision to me.

The other aspect of this is that Heinz Field is generally regarded as one of the toughest, if not the worst, place to kick the ball in the league. Even good kickers agree that place is brutal to kick. I can see why the Steelers would be one of the first teams to consider this strategy.

tk13
09-23-2015, 10:09 PM
Moar buttsechz footbaol

I don't know about that... but if you are poor in short yardage you could yourself in some tough situations.

A team that scores 3 TDs and misses every two pointer would lose to a team that scored 2 TDs, got both 2 pt. conversions and then kicked a FG. Is that the best way to determine who wins a game? I don't know. But it would be a situation where you'd want to excel in short yardage. The other team could hit a couple 50 yard bombs, and you'd still beat them because you could pound it in from 2 yards out and they couldn't.

Hammock Parties
09-23-2015, 10:12 PM
you'd still beat them because you could pound it in from 2 yards out and they couldn't.

The Steelers didn't pound it in, though. Ironically this is what Alex Smith does well.

https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/MZUNVH4w5vRRbtngT08GjRtQAe8=/1200x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079374/pit2.0.gif

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/5GA6PzUZ0_NEI8aq_yWLYKHIY3I=/1200x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079428/stl2.0.gif

Discuss Thrower
09-23-2015, 10:14 PM
I don't know about that... but if you are poor in short yardage you could yourself in some tough situations.

A team that scores 3 TDs and misses every two pointer would lose to a team that scored 2 TDs, got both 2 pt. conversions and then kicked a FG. Is that the best way to determine who wins a game? I don't know. But it would be a situation where you'd want to excel in short yardage. The other team could hit a couple 50 yard bombs, and you'd still beat them because you could pound it in from 2 yards out and they couldn't.

If you normally suck at short yardage, get creative. Throw in a swing tackle or two at TE and run the triple option.

ThaVirus
09-23-2015, 11:19 PM
This is a more favorable strategy for elite offenses.

I wouldn't suggest it for our current Chiefs team.

Discuss Thrower
09-23-2015, 11:23 PM
This is a more favorable strategy for elite offenses.

I wouldn't suggest it for our current Chiefs team.

One of things I didn't like about the whole idea.

On the one hand, it should force teams to be more innovative and risk taking.

On the other, it widens the gap between teams with elite QBs and ones without.

RealSNR
09-23-2015, 11:29 PM
Very nice motion there Tim, it shows a solid effort to maintain friendship with TambaBerry.

It says - "listen friend 'look, you were somewhat off' - but it is okay" "what you said is true, but slightly off" "but still okay and stays true"

TimBone is a lobster fucker.

He has sex with lobsters.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-24-2015, 03:25 AM
Haley/Ben = Rapeballs.

Why Not?
09-24-2015, 03:36 AM
[QUOTE=RealSNR;11751639

He has sex with lobsters.[/QUOTE]

And?

dannybcaitlyn
09-24-2015, 05:36 AM
I don't like our chances of going for two because play calling and Smiff. So when the Steelers come to arrowhead and do it, I believe we are fucked!

MahiMike
09-24-2015, 06:04 AM
Just another example of the man trying to keep the white guy down.

Reerun_KC
09-24-2015, 06:05 AM
Reid would throw it 4 yards behind the LOS on a 2 pt conversion basically keeping g this offense as ineffective as possible.

Guy is boardline Herm level stupid.

Marcellus
09-24-2015, 06:23 AM

How many times have you seen a player get hurt on goal line play? The mere fact everyone is lined up so close prevents momentum and speed which makes it the safest kind of play on the field.

Absolutely ridiculous to bring player safety into this.

TEX
09-24-2015, 07:22 AM
How many times have you seen a player get hurt on goal line play? The mere fact everyone is lined up so close prevents momentum and speed which makes it the safest kind of play on the field.

Absolutely ridiculous to bring player safety into this.

No its not. Its another play with full contact. Its ridiculous not to, especially when the NFL alters rules annually in the name of safety.

scho63
09-24-2015, 07:33 AM

And it's the GOOD weather we are in now-wait until Winter! :eek:

Mr. Laz
09-24-2015, 07:49 AM
They don't really have much choice since their kicker sucks.

TimBone
09-24-2015, 11:16 AM

That was nice of you to notice. I really enjoy the positive vibes.

Rausch
09-24-2015, 11:31 AM
How does this help their defense?...

Buehler445
09-24-2015, 01:11 PM
Reid would throw it 4 yards behind the LOS on a 2 pt conversion basically keeping g this offense as ineffective as possible.

Guy is boardline Herm level stupid.

I think you forgot how dumb Herm was.

Let's take a look at his playbook.

Run Larry Johnson off left guard
Punt

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-24-2015, 02:26 PM

Tim treats me like a turd.

Rasputin
09-24-2015, 03:53 PM
Our 8-man football team would go for two every single time unless coach just wanted to kick an extra point after the 45 point mercy rule at half time.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-24-2015, 04:07 PM
Too bad their defense sucks monkey nuts