PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs September 29th at Green Bay: Revelation

pugsnotdrugs19
09-29-2015, 10:39 AM
Hello, fellow CP'ers. It's was difficult to get out of bed this morning. Even breakfast tasted worse than normal here, Lol. An embarrassing primetime defeat at Green Bay left a taste in our mouths (almost) as bad the heartbreak created by Denver and the Thursday night debacle. I pondered posting last night on all of this, but I decided to swallow my frustration and take a more subjective look back at last night's game. This is what I see for the Chiefs, and moving forward.

After the sluggish (or downright pathetic) first half performance, I was furious. Then came the Smith INT to Shields in the 3rd quarter, one of the poorer throws I've seen in a long time. For the first time in the Reid era, I wanted Alex Smith pulled from a game. I had proclaimed that enough was enough, and it was time to give Daniel the keys. Of course, in what was likely the right move, that did not happen. Defensively I thought the front was getting a solid push but could not finish plays when given the chance, but ultimately it was the secondary and their unwillingness to press receivers on the line that killed the gameplan. You CANNOT let Green Bay's receivers run free off the line. Rodgers simply gets rid of the ball too fast.

Then came the offensive showing late in the game. Now, I know a lot of people are looking at this and saying 'PND, it was garbage time, it means nothing..' I was skeptical at first glance too. Then I took a second look. Call it garbage time all you want, but Dom Capers was throwing EVERYTHING his defense had at the Chiefs with the lead in the 3rd/4th quarter. I'd venture to say he blitzed around or over 70% of the time, even getting creative with some corner blitzes along the way. Point being, the defense the Chiefs were suddenly hitting big plays against WAS NOT vanilla. It actually was the furthest thing from vanilla to be 100% correct. Capers put a good chunk of the Green Bay defense's playbook on tape in that 2nd half, and he'd better hope they don't pay for it later on. Andy and Alex were forced to do what they so desperately have tried to avoid over the last couple of years, and it actually worked. The offense looked explosive at times late in the game, something Reid and Smith have refused to game plan as in their tenure. This revelation brings me to the conclusion.

9/28/15. I will forever remember this game for being the night of revelation under the Alex Smith/Andy Reid era. One of two things is going to now happen to this team.

1) Reid and Smith go back to their old ways of ball-less offense, Jamaal Charles flourishes, and we remain a 7-9 to 9-7 level team. Probably 8-8 with this year's schedule, and fans begin to call for heads.

2) Reid looks at what was clear to me and sees that even with Green Bay in full attack mode, the offense showed some real explosive capability when their hand was forced late for Alex to push the ball downfield. Seriously guys, the offense late in that game was the closest thing we've seen to the one from the late 2013 season and the Indianapolis playoff game. The talent is there to make big plays and put points up and the coaches have to continue on this path in order to have success. Defensively I'm really not all that concerned. They get Smith back this week and we will know more of what they are about with that.

Bottom Line: We didn't expect to win, but we expected a better first half. IMHO, there isn't a worse time and place to go against an NFL team than 7:30 PM at Lambeau Field against the Green Bay Packers. Let's not forget that no team in the league (except MAYBE New England) can hope to win that game at this point. For the Chiefs, the line needs to protect Alex when teams rush four better. Alex needs to protect the line against the blitz and hit hot routes when the opportunity is there. And finally and most importantly, Andy Reid needs to continue with the offense that was seen late in that game for the Chiefs to become any sort of true team anyway.

This team could have kept it close last night and continued to play their conservative offense all year, but that won't help them in big games (specifically January, if there). With the revelation of a real NFL passing attack late in the game, all due to being blown out, Andy Reid and the Chiefs now have a chance to save themselves. It could be the ultimate ship-sinker, or the greatest blowout blessing in disguise in our history. Until next time. We're on to Cincinatti.

EDIT: Good article here... http://arrowheadaddict.com/2015/09/29/chiefs-2015-plenty-of-super-bowl-teams-face-adversity/

ptlyon
09-29-2015, 10:46 AM
January? Fucking JANUARY???

Bewbies
09-29-2015, 10:47 AM
I think you've got your username backwards.

Mr. Flopnuts
09-29-2015, 10:49 AM
October 29th?

ptlyon
09-29-2015, 10:50 AM
October 29th?

And this

pugsnotdrugs19
09-29-2015, 10:52 AM
I think you've got your username backwards.

That's fine as long as you've taken your own second look at things.

Rain Man
09-29-2015, 10:59 AM
I don't think the Chiefs offense showed up in the second half. I think Green Bay just decided to let them have long drives to run out the clock, and ended up playing them too soft.

duncan_idaho
09-29-2015, 10:59 AM
I call bullshit on Green Bay playing defense the same way. Once it went up 31-7, the Pack started giving much bigger cushion on the corners and playing more of a prevent style D that allowed the Chiefs to move the ball in the middle of the field and eat up huge chunks of time.

And the blitzes weren't that exotic, either. Very typical of that D, if you've watched them much.

The Franchise
09-29-2015, 11:03 AM
Reid couldn't get this team ready after 11 days. We're about to get fucked on a short week against the Bengals.

pugsnotdrugs19
09-29-2015, 11:04 AM
I call bullshit on Green Bay playing defense the same way. Once it went up 31-7, the Pack started giving much bigger cushion on the corners and playing more of a prevent style D that allowed the Chiefs to move the ball in the middle of the field and eat up huge chunks of time.

And the blitzes weren't that exotic, either. Very typical of that D, if you've watched them much.

The 60 yarder to Maclin was not off coverage. Can't play that card every time. We'll see in the games going forward what's really going on.

Chiefnj2
09-29-2015, 11:41 AM
I don't think the Chiefs offense showed up in the second half. I think Green Bay just decided to let them have long drives to run out the clock, and ended up playing them too soft.

KC executed the 8 minute, two minute drive to near perfection.

Donger
09-29-2015, 11:49 AM
I could be wrong, but it seemed like the Packers defense intentionally went soft later in the game. I don't think that scenario can be expected going forward. Or, maybe it can be...

notorious
09-29-2015, 11:50 AM
Damn, Halloween snuck up on me this year.

pugsnotdrugs19
09-29-2015, 11:52 AM
Damn, Halloween snuck up on me this year.

Already addressed that :clap:

B_Ambuehl
09-29-2015, 11:55 AM
I've seen this post before. Remember a few years back when the chiefs were down by 30 at the half in Denver and Casshole came out and threw for nearly 300 against a prevent D in the 2nd half? CP'ers were using that half as evidence Casshole "had what it takes" to be a viable playoff starter.

loochy
09-29-2015, 12:02 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/L4TYWQn8rALRu/giphy.gif

Mr. Flopnuts
09-29-2015, 12:10 PM
October 29th?

I'd asked for a reason. Not sure why you deleted your reply, but I've got you covered homeboy.

notorious
09-29-2015, 12:11 PM
This thread had character with the mistake in the title. Now it's just another thread.

:(

Mr. Flopnuts
09-29-2015, 12:11 PM
This thread had character with the mistake in the title. Now it's just another thread.

:(

ROFL Sorry, bruh.

Molitoth
09-29-2015, 12:13 PM
2) the offense showed some real explosive capability when their hand was forced late for Alex to push the ball downfield.

This is the problem with Alex Smith. He has shown enough that everyone on earth knows he can push the ball downfield but he is just so ****ing scared to throw an INT that he refuses to take any risk until he knows that he HAS TO because he is getting his ass kicked. He knows that the lack of INT's on his stat sheet is going to keep him in a job making millions.

pugsnotdrugs19
09-29-2015, 12:15 PM
I never said that they would get this ship going the right direction... said the opportunity should be there. Big difference.

Ming the Merciless
09-29-2015, 12:15 PM
there may have been some blitzes but that doesn't mean they weren't playing soft zonzes in the backfield letting the chiefs have the middle and run the clock out.

They were forcing short quick plays into the middle ....& flats

I cant bring myself to watch that game again but you CAN mix blitzes in with nickels and dimes and softer zones...

Just because they were blitzing here and there doesn't mean they weren't letting us have little bits in the middle /flats to run time off...

Just sayin