PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Doggity Report: Week Three

gblowfish
09-29-2015, 01:34 PM
My Pal Mr. Doggity with his take:

Week 3 - Griefs 28 at Packers 38
WEEK THREE: Have you ever looked at the score of a game and say, "This doesn't tell the story"? The fact that KC was within 10 points at the final gun does not begin to describe the wretched performance by a Chiefs team that seems to be regressing every week. By the third possession of the game, Kansas City was no longer a factor in this game. All of their stats came in garbage time, after the Pack had taken their foot off the gas. This thing was never close.

OFFENSIVE: The O-Line is the most offensive thing I've seen since Romeo Crennel coached here. The rookie, Morse is the only guy who played at an NFL starter level last night. Eric #1 Fisher looked like a child among men. He was beaten like a rented mule. Former Pro-Bowler, Grubbs was barely a speed bump on the highway to the backfield. Stephenson was torched and eventually resorted to an illegal leg whip just to slow down the rush. Perhaps the worst performance was by the Canuck doctor, Laurent Duvernay-Tardif. Which is a shame. He's a nice story, and I love saying his name. Everything sounds better in French, you know. For instance, "la ligne offensive est des ordures chaude", sounds much cooler than, "the offensive line is hot garbage". Charles redeemed his fumbles last week with three rushing TDs, and Jeremy Maclin finally broke the ridiculous nearly two year drought with no TDs by a wide receiver. Alex Smith, on the other hand, is not ever going to be a great QB. He holds the ball too long, he doesn't have good pocket presence, he has a dishrag arm. When he attempts to go deep, the ball has to arc like a punt to get there. By then, the defenders are all over the receivers. He simply can't throw a strike more than about 10 yards. And far too often he's throwing bubble screens and swing passes that are five to eight yards or more behind the line of scrimmage. And frankly, Smith doesn't have the cajones to put the team on his back and will them to win, like a Manning or Brady or Rodgers. Here's one of the worst stats I heard last night. The last time a Chiefs QB lead a scoring drive inside 2:00 of any half, it was Matt Cassell. Smith, in his third season in this offense, has ZERO 2-minute scoring drives. NONE. NADA.

DEFENSIVE: The good news is Derrick Johnson is now the leading tackler in Chiefs franchise history, with 1007. He was the leading tackler again last night. He's simply the quiet heart of this defense. The Chiefs did get to Rodgers once, and should have had a pick-6 that Josh Mauga had hit him in a bad place - his hands. Otherwise, the defense was gashed. Especially the weak links at right and nickel/dime corner. Marcus Cooper is still trying to unscrew his jockstrap. Rodgers hard counts drew Hali and Ford both offside, even though we were told they drilled this all week. And worse, both plays, the defense just gave up on the free play, once resulting in a TD. Jaye Howard was caught leisurely strolling to the sideline twice, by Rodgers' quick counts, resulting in KC getting flagged for 12 men. It was a sloppy, half-hearted effort. And I am even more pissed than I was before at Sean Smith's stupidity getting pulled over driving drunk. What an idiot.

SPECIALS: We have the best punter in the NFL - another couple of kicks deep. One went out on the two. DAT had nothing going. Knile Davis had one great run taking a kickoff into Packer territory, only to have Smith and the Speedbumps go three and out, and punt it away.

THROW HIM A BONE: I'm giving this one to DJ. The Chiefs have had Hall of Famers like Bell and Buchanan and Lanier and Culp and both Derrick and Emmitt Thomas. To be the all-time leading tackler in the history of a franchise known for its nasty defenses, is a very impressive feat.

DOGGITY DOG: Alex Smith is rapidly running out of excuses.

AFC WEST:
Doper Donkeys: Again, they didn't look great, but again, they had the bigger number at the end.

Beachbum Bolts: Got punked by the Vikings.

East Bay Convicts: They squeaked by the hapless Browns.

UP NEXT: The Been Gals in Cincy on Sunday.

gblowfish
09-29-2015, 01:35 PM
I read a stat (I think in the KC Star this AM) that in Smith's entire career, he's only one won game when his team has been down by 14 points or more. That's telling.

Red Dawg
09-29-2015, 01:40 PM
He is just not good enough. He must have flawless protection to be effective.

wazu
09-29-2015, 01:54 PM
Here's one of the worst stats I heard last night. The last time a Chiefs QB lead a scoring drive inside 2:00 of any half, it was Matt Cassell. Smith, in his third season in this offense, has ZERO 2-minute scoring drives. NONE. NADA.

Holy shit. How many different ways can one man suck?

Discuss Thrower
09-29-2015, 02:05 PM

Problem is that streak got broken when the Pack went into prevent.

rabblerouser
09-29-2015, 02:07 PM
Problem is that streak got broken when the Pack went into prevent.

We know how hollow his '2 minute scoring drive' was last night.

kcpasco
09-29-2015, 02:14 PM
5 minute 18 play 2 minute scoring drive executed perfectly.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-29-2015, 02:21 PM

Great question. But Reid locked him at a decent price thru 2017 and a winning record is better than what he had for the previous decade. This is a 10 win team considering a bulk of our schedule goes up against very talented teams.

gblowfish
09-29-2015, 02:46 PM
On 610 they also said that during Alex Smith's career, if the opposition scores 24 points or more, Smith loses 90% of the time. 24 points is approximately the league scoring average in the NFL. So, if Smith's defense doesn't hold a team to below the LEAGUE AVERAGE in a game, he's 90% likely to lose.

Discuss Thrower
09-29-2015, 02:47 PM
On 610 they also said that during Alex Smith's career, if the opposition scores 24 points or more, Smith loses 90% of the time. 24 points is approximately the league scoring average in the NFL. So, if Smith's defense doesn't hold a team to below the LEAGUE AVERAGE in a game, he's 90% likely to lose.

I've been trying to point that out for a while now.

Even if the Chiefs defense is healthy and playing well, it's just not likely it'll be good enough to get a win.

Because Smith.

The Franchise
09-29-2015, 02:50 PM

Clay has been posting that shit for a long time now.