PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Pro Football Focus FAIL

Lex Luthor
09-30-2015, 03:20 PM
We all saw how Aaron Rodgers destroyed the Chiefs on Monday Night Football. He completed 24 out of 35 passes for 333 yards with 5 touchdowns and no interceptions. The Packers destroyed the Chiefs, and Aaron Rodgers showed everyone why he is an elite quarterback.

Well, everyone except the Poindexters at Pro Football Focus.

WHY AARON RODGERS’ GRADE WAS JUST AVERAGE VERSUS CHIEFS

Ben Stockwell explains why Packers QB Aaron Rodgers' game grade versus Kansas City doesn't measure up to his box-score stats.

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers ended last night’s game with a -0.8 grade overall. This isn’t a bad game, just because the number begins with a minus, but it is an average grade very close to zero for a player who threw five touchdown passes, which seems crazy on the face of it. It’s not.

On the surface, Rodgers’ raw statistics paint the picture of one of the best games of the season. 333 passing yards, five touchdown passes, no interceptions, a 138.5 passer rating; Rodgers’ should be supplanting Carson Palmer in our team of the week as the top quarterback, not earning a grade with a minus in front of it, right?

Well, not if you dig a little deeper into Rodgers’ performance on a play-by-play basis.

(Rest of bullshit justification and spin deleted)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/09/29/why-aaron-rodgers-earned-a-slightly-negative-grade/

:facepalm:

Modern statistics and analysis can certainly be useful tools for both football and baseball. But sometimes the statistical models they have created are just flat out wrong. When that happens they should just admit that they've got a fucked up model and they need to figure out why it's fucked up. Instead, they try to spin it and defend their fucked up model.

Any statistical model that evaluates Aaron Rodgers' performance this week as below average is fucked up beyond repair.

TEX
09-30-2015, 03:23 PM
Exactly TOTAL FAIL. I pointed this out yesterday when some were saying that Eric Fisher was our best O Lineman for the Packer game because this rag gave him a positive grade for the game.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
09-30-2015, 03:29 PM
Probably a Favre jock sniffer who came up with that grade

chiefzilla1501
09-30-2015, 03:31 PM
Exactly TOTAL FAIL. I pointed this out yesterday when some were saying that Eric Fisher was our best O Lineman for the Packer game because this rag gave him a positive grade for the game.

I don't think that's wrong. Fisher played OK. The guards were the ones who got destroyed. Even Grubbs.

TEX
09-30-2015, 03:32 PM
I don't think that's wrong. Fisher played OK. The guards were the ones who got destroyed. Even Grubbs.

You were one of the people I was talking about. Of COURSE!

Discuss Thrower
09-30-2015, 03:36 PM
PFF is a joke.

staylor26
09-30-2015, 03:44 PM

Typical CP overreaction to one bad play that was magnified. Fisher had a solid game overall. Get a ****ing clue.

aturnis
09-30-2015, 03:48 PM
Only shows that the QB metric is flawed. Most total performance QB metrics are flawed. We know this.

TEX
09-30-2015, 03:52 PM
Typical CP overreaction to one bad play that was magnified. Fisher had a solid game overall. Get a ****ing clue.

ROFL ROFL ROFL Dude, I cant have a discussion with a total f**king idiot, so I'm not evn gonna try with you.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
09-30-2015, 03:53 PM

I don't know about Fisher, I'm sure he was awful, but I definitely noticed LDT. What a waste of time.

KCTitus
09-30-2015, 03:54 PM
There's lies, damned lies, and then there's statistics...

Hell even Proctor used statistics to prove that Gunther was a better HC than Vermeil.

TEX
09-30-2015, 03:54 PM
PFF is a joke.

COMPLETE joke.

TEX
09-30-2015, 03:55 PM

Hell even Proctor used statistics to prove that Gunther was a better HC than Vermeil.

ROFL I remember that. Good old Johnny Boy!

Deberg_1990
09-30-2015, 04:14 PM
Alex Smith ended up having a solid night. 322 total yards

DaFace
09-30-2015, 04:14 PM
I like the idea of PFF, but stuff like this is just stupid.

chiefzilla1501
09-30-2015, 04:15 PM
You were one of the people I was talking about. Of COURSE!

You saw what you wanted to see.

Ldt was a disaster. Grubbs was a huge disappointment. Stephenson was getting beaten a lot. Didn't pay attention to Morse. Fisher was far from perfect. But by the second half, did anyone even notice him? It was the guards that were getting destroyed.

Chuck Fargers
09-30-2015, 04:49 PM
My eyes told me he was ballin'. When did PFF become the last word in metrics?

staylor26
09-30-2015, 04:50 PM
ROFL ROFL ROFL Dude, I cant have a discussion with a total f**king idiot, so I'm not evn gonna try with you.

Name 1 fucking time he got his ass kicked other than when he missed the down block. I'll wait...

xztop123
09-30-2015, 05:30 PM
mauga drops a game changing play

he cant catch, lacks side line speed. why is he in?

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-30-2015, 06:13 PM

Seriously.

So many dramatic people on here trying to build their forum cred lol

Coochie liquor
09-30-2015, 06:17 PM
Blowmo loves some PFF, enough said!!

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-30-2015, 06:39 PM
mauga drops a game changing play

he cant catch, lacks side line speed. why is he in?

Because he sux less than our other option

rabblerouser
09-30-2015, 06:59 PM
Alex Smith ended up having a solid night. 322 total yards

Come over here so I can slap you.

wazu
09-30-2015, 10:16 PM
This seems to me to show a flaw in the model PFF uses, but far from completely discrediting it. They explain point-by-point every play. The beauty of PFF is they do the best job of zeroing in on the individual performance with an unemotional point-driven analysis.

I do think they probably miss more on QB than any position. There are just too many variables. The savvy to make the right reads is so critical, while it seems they more measure the quality of the throw.

Reaper16
09-30-2015, 10:46 PM
PFF has value, but mishaps like this go to show what it really is: an attempt to turn subjective opinions into quantifiable data sets. It's not statistics in the way that has become important to MLB & NBA. It's barely statistics at all.

mdchiefsfan
10-01-2015, 03:55 AM
It seems PFF has taken an ESPN approach to reporting:

You want ratings? Say something controversial!

TEX
10-01-2015, 03:56 AM
Name 1 ****ing time he got his ass kicked other than when he missed the down block. I'll wait...

You still waiting? I'll save you some time. If you insist on being such an idiot, the burdon of proof is on you. Just go read the Fisher thread. Its all there. 1 time??? ROFL

Holladay
10-01-2015, 04:18 AM

Damn son, you brought back memories. Proctor and Sportswax...epic.

wazu
10-01-2015, 05:59 AM

Is that so blasphemous? Vermeil sucked as Chiefs coach, and he was given Carte Blanche and allowed to rebuild the team. Gunther went .500 with a crappy collection of leftovers.

chiefzilla1501
10-01-2015, 06:06 AM
You still waiting? I'll save you some time. If you insist on being such an idiot, the burdon of proof is on you. Just go read the Fisher thread. Its all there. 1 time??? ROFL

If people paid as close attention to how often the other olinemen failed, you would have just as many comments. Just because people talk louder about fisher's failures, doesn't mean he failed more than his teammates. I don't any body's saying Fisher had a good or great game. They're saying that of the pile of shit on the ol, he seemed to suck the least. At least in the second half, Fisher did not play badly.

TEX
10-01-2015, 07:35 AM
If people paid as close attention to how often the other olinemen failed, you would have just as many comments. Just because people talk louder about fisher's failures, doesn't mean he failed more than his teammates. I don't any body's saying Fisher had a good or great game. They're saying that of the pile of shit on the ol, he seemed to suck the least. At least in the second half, Fisher did not play badly.

Yes he did. You just refuse to see it because that's your way with the most obvious things. Its an established pattern with you. We have nothing further to discuss on the matter. You see what you want. I saw what actually happened.

Valiant
10-01-2015, 09:07 AM

Was that when green bay was in prevent?

Pasta Little Brioni
10-01-2015, 09:11 AM
Fisher actually played pretty well on Monday. Turdiff was an abortion though as was Stephenson. Alex had more time than any other QB this week and took seven sacks, so that's on him.

chiefzilla1501
10-01-2015, 09:24 AM
Yes he did. You just refuse to see it because that's your way with the most obvious things. Its an established pattern with you. We have nothing further to discuss on the matter. You see what you want. I saw what actually happened.

Bullshit

You see things in extremes. That's a pattern with you. Just like you're predicting a collapse to the chiefs because of one bad game. I'm pretty sure you predicted that last year too. Just like you look at Fisher with a magnifying lens and harp on every single mistake. But saying Fisher played OK but still needs improvement doesn't fit you're extreme story that he was terrible.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-01-2015, 09:26 AM
People are so caught up in wanting to be right that they can't objectively have a legit opinion any more. It's sad and pathetic at the same time. Fisher played well Monday. Nothing more nothing less.