PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs What is our best front six against the pass?

Rain Man
10-01-2015, 05:49 PM
At the Packers game, I noticed that Sutton used a two-man defensive line on almost every play in the first half. Presumably this was based on the assumption that Rodgers passes a lot. The challenge is that it didn't really slow Rodgers down and the Packers running game was also productive.

Once Green Bay went up by 75 or whatever, they started running the ball a lot and Sutton switched to a three-man defensive line and completely shut down the run.

It got me wondering. While they rotated linemen, I think our four regular linebackers were always on the field - Houston, Johnson, Mauga, and Hali.

Not putting any blame on Mauga, but it seems to me that he's not a pass rusher. He's more of a run stopper. So why would you have him in there instead of, say, Allen Bailey or Jaye Howard? Those guys seems to provide an equivalent pass rush and are presumably stronger against the run.

So imagine that it's 1st and 10 against a passing team such as the Green Bay Packers. Who are the six guys you'd most like to see up front on the field?

TLO
10-01-2015, 05:50 PM
Frank Zombo, Eric Hicks, Ryan Sims, Donnie Edwards, Dante Hall, and Kris Wilson

Perineum Ripper
10-01-2015, 05:53 PM
If we had Jackson and Dorsey back we would shut shit down

Rain Man
10-01-2015, 05:54 PM
I can see an advantage to having only two linemen and four linebackers, because perhaps you can camouflage a blitz better. But I don't think Mauga really blitzes all that much, so I think I'd rather have Poe, Bailey, and Howard on the line on a 1st and 10. Those guys stuff the run pretty well and don't hurt us on pass rushing, in my opinion.

KCrockaholic
10-01-2015, 05:56 PM
That wasn't hard.

Rain Man
10-01-2015, 05:58 PM
That wasn't hard.

That's my thinking, too. Is Mauga in all the time because he's the defensive signal caller, perhaps?

KCrockaholic
10-01-2015, 06:22 PM
That's my thinking, too. Is Mauga in all the time because he's the defensive signal caller, perhaps?

He's not the defensive signal caller though.

Iconic
10-01-2015, 06:32 PM
Who's Dee Ford? Someone off the practice squad?

Seriously what the fuck is going on with him? Did he shit in Sutton's applesauce or something? Dude gets like 0 play. You see so little of him that you can't even tell if he just sucks ass or if he's being sheltered. I just don't get it.

Saccopoo
10-01-2015, 06:34 PM
Mauga sucks either way.

I'd rather have one of the safeties in there versus Mauga.

dannybcaitlyn
10-01-2015, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the analysis. I was wondering why we were getting gashed in the running game early. Looked like a totally different defense up front then the one that stuffed Denvers running attack.

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-01-2015, 07:31 PM
How come Sorenson was not on the list ! :cuss:

penbrook
10-01-2015, 08:11 PM
Howard, Bailey, Devito, Houston, Johnson, Mauga. As of right now!

wazu
10-02-2015, 06:53 AM
Howard, Bailey, Devito, Houston, Johnson, Mauga. As of right now!

Good ole' pen.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-02-2015, 09:27 AM
The two man line is the reason they have struggled against the run the last couple years. It's infuriating that as soon as they bring in the third guy they are like a brick wall on D, but yet they still keep trying that 2-4 front. It just gives teams too many free rushing yards.

The Franchise
10-02-2015, 09:51 AM
Against the pass?

Bailey, Poe, Howard, Houston, DJ, Wilson

Rain Man
10-02-2015, 12:52 PM
The two man line is the reason they have struggled against the run the last couple years. It's infuriating that as soon as they bring in the third guy they are like a brick wall on D, but yet they still keep trying that 2-4 front. It just gives teams too many free rushing yards.

Yeah, I don't mind them doing something exotic against the pass, and I don't think run defense matters very much in the modern NFL. If you give up 6 ypc rushing, you can still be a #1 defense because most plays are passes.

But my concern is whether Mauga beefs up the pass defense or whether one of our linemen would have a similar impact and also play the run more stoutly.

Maybe Mauga gives the team more opportunity to disguise pass coverages? But even saying that, it didn't seem like there was much variation against Green Bay in pass coverage. Maybe I don't know what to look for.