PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs should shift focus in 2016 (not a rebuild but... maybe a little)

chiefzilla1501
10-04-2015, 08:46 PM
Chiefs should think twice before re-signing Berry, Poe, and keeping higher paid defensive options like DJ. They should use those savings to invest in their OL. And it's not because of Alex Smith. I've been one of the biggest opponents of bringing in OL help. We could go with our team right now if bridgewater was our guy. This team is well built for Chase too, but he's not the answer.

The Chiefs have 2 young guns in Murray and Bray. This year's QB class is pretty deep with Goff, Kessler, Cook, Hackenberg, Cardale, etc.... These guys are all pocket QBs. No doubt in my mind the Chiefs need to draft a QB in round 1 this year. And the uncomfortable reality is that to support Murray and to support any of 2016's QBs, the Chiefs will need to completely change their approach and that could mean making some big cuts on defense.

I know this has been discussed a ton. But I don't know if anyone's really thought of how much this team will need to change even if we expect Murray to be our next guy.

kccrow
10-04-2015, 09:02 PM
Poe isn't in a contract year, but I'd let Berry, DJ, and Hali walk. Draft a QB, invest heavy into the O-Line. Let QB develop for a year and then get rid of Smith in 2017 when he saves you 9.7 mil against the cap.

lewdog
10-04-2015, 09:04 PM
You have to have built something in order to rebuild it.

The Franchise
10-04-2015, 09:04 PM
I'd re-sign Berry to a deal around 4 years, $25 million.

Bewbies
10-04-2015, 09:06 PM
I'm not ready to give up on Berry yet. I'd like to see how he looks by the end of the year. Probably next year too.

Hali and DJ can go though.

And we need a new QB. Preferably in round 1 of the draft.

Mr_Tomahawk
10-04-2015, 09:08 PM
Sac said this years QB is not that great and it is NOT deep.

I trust in Sac.

Sassy Squatch
10-04-2015, 09:08 PM
I'm not ready to give up on Berry yet. I'd like to see how he looks by the end of the year. Probably next year too.

Nah, bitch. That's where out shiny new LTOTF is coming from.

Bewbies
10-04-2015, 09:10 PM
Nah, bitch. That's where out shiny new LTOTF is coming from.

If you're not trolling I wish your dad had the good sense to let your mom swallow you instead of pretending to pull out.

chiefzilla1501
10-04-2015, 09:17 PM
You have to have built something in order to rebuild it.

I think we have a good enough team to support a more mobile QB. If the Chiefs had a Bridgewater type option, they'd be in good shape to transition.

The Chiefs won't have Chase in their backpocket anymore. By next year, they'll have two backup QBs who don't fit in with the system we built for Alex Smith. Hopefully we draft a QB and that QB probably won't fit into the system either.

mr. tegu
10-04-2015, 09:28 PM
We had a decent line before Reid got here. It sure didn't take him long to turn it into one of the patented horrible lines from his Philly days.

Discuss Thrower
10-04-2015, 09:33 PM
2016 is meaningless...

RunKC
10-04-2015, 09:37 PM
You do whatever the **** you can to get Goff. If the Jets can trade up for Sanchez we can trade up for Goff.

Cardale and Boykin are spread QB's in systems where they don't do much to make reads. They are in the same mold as Kaepernick, Alex, RG3 and Kolb.

Discuss Thrower
10-04-2015, 09:45 PM
2016 is gonna be a wasted year because of how bad the '13 and '14 drafts were.

Going in to next year, Chiefs need two tackles, a guard, and a #2/#3 WR. TE wouldn't hurt either. I won't bother hoping for a QB given Alex's contract situation and the franchise inertia of undervaluing actually drafting a guy. Defense is going to need an overhaul, two OLBs, a CB, a safety for depth and probably a NT or DE for good measure.

That's a two years of drafting folks..

chiefzilla1501
10-04-2015, 09:50 PM
You do whatever the **** you can to get Goff. If the Jets can trade up for Sanchez we can trade up for Goff.

Cardale and Boykin are spread QB's in systems where they don't do much to make reads. They are in the same mold as Kaepernick, Alex, RG3 and Kolb.

Cardale is a much different QB than those guys. And he's actually struggling right now in OSU because they're trying to run the read option through him and it's a terrible fit. Cardale isn't mobile enough to be that QB. Cardale is much more similar to Big Ben than he is those guys. But he's a much bigger project than Big Ben ever was because his value won't be escaping pressure. It will be in buying time because he's tough to tackle.

chiefzilla1501
10-04-2015, 09:54 PM
2016 is gonna be a wasted year because of how bad the '13 and '14 drafts were.

Going in to next year, Chiefs need two tackles, a guard, and a #2/#3 WR. TE wouldn't hurt either. I won't bother hoping for a QB given Alex's contract situation and the franchise inertia of undervaluing actually drafting a guy. Defense is going to need an overhaul, two OLBs, a CB, a safety for depth and probably a NT or DE for good measure.

That's a two years of drafting folks..

Wut? If we stay put, our defense doesn't need an overhaul. They either need better coaching from Sutton or a better coach. The talent is plenty good.

JCharles1981
10-04-2015, 11:40 PM
Poe isn't in a contract year, but I'd let Berry, DJ, and Hali walk. Draft a QB, invest heavy into the O-Line. Let QB develop for a year and then get rid of Smith in 2017 when he saves you 9.7 mil against the cap.

The last time the Chiefs invested heavy on the O-Line (Will Shields, Willie Roaf, Brian Waters, Casey Wiegman), they ended up having one of the franchise's worst defenses since the 1980's. No team can successfully make it to the Superbowl if either their defense or offense is the worst in the league.

JCharles1981
10-04-2015, 11:42 PM

Not going to happen on Clark Hunt's watch, unfortunately. When he had the opportunity to pick up a solid, rookie QB in the 2013 draft, he settled for an Offensive Tackle, all because Andy Reid convinced him that recruiting Alex Smith was a good idea. Same thing happened when former GM Scott Pioli tried getting Chiefs fans excited when he brought Cassell over from the Patriots 7 years ago.

Dave Lane
10-05-2015, 01:27 AM

I trust in Sac.

How would he know unless the QB is from Utah.

The other amazing thing is I've never heard this response from a Chiefs fans before.

BlackOp
10-05-2015, 01:39 AM
I'd keep DJ over Berry...apart from the situation in his personal life..I'm still waiting for him to make an impact play since his rookie season. KC has enough good safeties.

The more pressing question is should they resign S. Smith? I'll take him over Berry...

mdchiefsfan
10-05-2015, 03:54 AM
Not going to happen on Clark Hunt's watch, unfortunately. When he had the opportunity to pick up a solid, rookie QB in the 2013 draft, he settled for an Offensive Tackle, all because Andy Reid convinced him that recruiting Alex Smith was a good idea. Same thing happened when former GM Scott Pioli tried getting Chiefs fans excited when he brought Cassell over from the Patriots 7 years ago.

Chromatic
10-05-2015, 05:45 AM
So judging by this thread everything has to go right with drafting in 2016 and 2017 and MAYBE we can hope for some kind of good run in 2018.

Chiefs.

Chromatic
10-05-2015, 05:48 AM
My expectations are so low I just want one good playoff run and maybe a SB appearance before the whole concussion tsunami starts to zap the talent pool and revenue from the sport.

tredadda
10-05-2015, 05:48 AM
If we do go with a 1st round QB then we need to avoid at all costs Hackenberg. The last time we drafted a QB from Penn State in Round 1 was 1983. We all know how much that scarred this organization.

ChiTown
10-05-2015, 05:55 AM
I agree, we should be ready to compete for a Super Bowl by 2061.......My kids will be in retirement age. Sounds about right

mcaj22
10-05-2015, 06:15 AM
Eric Fisher: First overall
Donald Stephenson: Third round
Jeff Allen: 2nd round
Mitch Morse: 2nd round

isnt that "investing?" you want them to invest more (and fail)?

ChiTown
10-05-2015, 06:17 AM
Eric Fisher: First overall
Donald Stephenson: Third round
Jeff Allen: 2nd round
Mitch Morse: 2nd round

isnt that "investing?" you want them to invest more (and fail)?

Never invest too heavily in a Junk Bonds......

Sandy Vagina
10-05-2015, 06:28 AM
I was taking a look at this a month or so ago, but I think it is still accurate, even if a position or two can be shifted over.

Departures:
QB / Chase Daniel
WR / Jason Avant
WR / Frankie Hammond Jr.
OL / Jeff Allen
OL / Donald Stephenson
OL / Eric Kush
DL / Mike Devito
DL / Jaye Howard
LB / Tamba Hali
LB / Derrick Johnson
LB / Frank Zombo
DB / Eric Berry
DB / Sean Smith
DB / Husain Abdullah
DB / Tyvon Branch
DB / Jamell Fleming

Offense

QB: Alex Smith (17,800,000), Aaron Murray (654,106), Tyler Bray (575,000)
RB: Jamaal Charles (6,000,000), Knile Davis (826,504), Charcandrick West (ERFA)
FB: Anthony Sherman (2,000,000)

TE: Travis Kelce (979,826), James O'Shaughnessy (574,563), Demetrius Harris (ERFA), Brian Parker (525,000)
WR: Jeremy Maclin (12,400,000)
WR: Chris Conley (728,108), De'Anthony Thomas (713,527)
WR: Albert Wilson (603,334)

LT: Eric Fisher (7,060,613)
LG: Ben Grubbs (6,300,000)
C: Mitch Morse (1,062,062), Zach Fulton (634,555)
RG: Laurent Duvernay-Tardif (543,075)
RT: Paul Fanaika (2,133,333), Curtis Feigt (525,000)

Defense

LDE: Rakeem Nunez-Roches (547,621)
NT: Dontari Poe (6,146,000), Nick Williams (ERFA)
RDE: Allen Bailey (5,250,000)

LOLB: Justin Houston (19,100,000)
LILB: Ramik Wilson (658,030), Josh Mauga (2,750,000)
RILB: Justin March (528,333), D.J. Alexander (574,563)
ROLB: Dee Ford (2,225,100) , Josh Martin (ERFA)

LCB: Phillip Gaines (755,758)
RCB: Marcus Peters (2,178,217), Marcus Cooper (585,000)
NCB: Steven Nelson (680,988)
SS: Daniel Sorenson (ERFA)
FS: Ron Parker (3,250,000)

Special Teams
K: Cairo Santos (600,667)
P: Dustin Colquitt (4,450,000)
LS: James Winchester (525,000)

Some things stand out for me.

1. The Chiefs HAVE to make signing/drafting TWO fatty OL a top priority.
2. The Chiefs REALLY should get a contract done for Jaye Howard.
3. The Chiefs should absolutely NOT go into 2016 with Sorenson as a starter, lol.
4. The Chiefs are again very thin on CB depth, so another strong priority.
5. The Chiefs will probably be bleh yet again unless Heck and Sutton are shit-canned.

Reerun_KC
10-05-2015, 06:33 AM
Gotta shit can Reid, Buttons and the QBs. Without question.

BigMeatballDave
10-05-2015, 06:41 AM
Not a bad idea, but Reid has to go for any of this to change/work.

Molitoth
10-05-2015, 06:46 AM

I trust in Sac.

A QB class doesn't need to be DEEP if you fucking draft one in the top 10 like you are supposed to and don't fiddle around with waiting until round 5.

BigMeatballDave
10-05-2015, 06:57 AM
A QB class doesn't need to be DEEP if you fucking draft one in the top 10 like you are supposed to and don't fiddle around with waiting until round 5.

Draft position means shit. Russel Wilson says Hi!

Just get the right one.

Reerun_KC
10-05-2015, 07:04 AM
It's like clockwork with Chiefs fan and QB.

T
When QB is discussed.... Safe pick and RGs dominate.

Red Dawg
10-05-2015, 07:45 AM
It does not matter what they do until they have a real QB that teams have to respect.

That should be the only Dorsey is doing. Looking for a freaking QB in the draft and finding a way to get rid of Smith.

TEX
10-05-2015, 07:50 AM
It does not matter what they do until they have a real QB that teams have to respect.

That should be the only Dorsey is doing. Looking for a freaking QB in the draft and finding a way to get rid of Smith.

Yep.

KC_Lee
10-05-2015, 07:58 AM
It's like clockwork with Chiefs fan and QB.

When QB is discussed.... Safe pick and RGs dominate.

And living down here in Nashville for over 10 years I've watched the Titans take three QBs in the first round.

Young (Dumb Bust)
Locker (Broken Bust)
Marriota :hmmm:

One team, 10 years, 3 QBs. At least they keep trying to fill the position with a young player to build around and don't keep putting in JAG after JAG after broke dick JAG like KC.

hitchief
10-05-2015, 08:42 AM
Agree with the premise and just looking at the numbers it makes a lot of sense.

The whole team is not playing up to their potential and that's on coaching.

D is close to the bottom of the league right now and the O is sputtering along.

This oline has a lack of talent but you should be able to scheme up something to help them out. The pocket is collapsing way too fast on almost every drop back so if they know this why not roll Alex out of the pocket more often. etc.

Three7s
10-05-2015, 08:46 AM
The defense worries me far more than the offense right now. Everyone said all off-season that this should be a top 10 unit. Well, right now it's close to dead last.

The Franchise
10-05-2015, 09:16 AM
The defense worries me far more than the offense right now. Everyone said all off-season that this should be a top 10 unit. Well, right now it's close to dead last.

Sutton.

Discuss Thrower
10-05-2015, 10:02 AM
Sutton.

Because he doesn't have good personnel.

It's Houston, Howard and Sean Smith right now.

The Bad Guy
10-05-2015, 10:24 AM
As much as it pains me to admit, they have to let Berry walk. I know he's just getting back, but the amount of impact plays he's made since the 2nd half of 13 does not justify paying him.

I would probably re-sign Jaye Howard because Devito shouldn't be brought back either and you need options just in case Poe never re-gains his form.

Let Stephenson walk too. I'll sink with Fisher for a year (hopefully Alex's last as a Chief) instead of giving him a long-term deal.

The Bad Guy
10-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Because he doesn't have good personnel.

It's Houston, Howard and Sean Smith right now.

That's just not true.

The Bad Guy
10-05-2015, 10:26 AM
Sutton has more to work with this year than he did last. He's not adjusting, lineman aren't twisting or stunting, blitzes are insanely predictable.

He's as much of the problem as the OC play calling.

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-05-2015, 10:27 AM
You just fix this OL and it solves tons of problems. Looks to me though we need a different OL coach.

The Franchise
10-05-2015, 10:27 AM
Sutton has more to work with this year than he did last. He's not adjusting, lineman aren't twisting or stunting, blitzes are insanely predictable.

He's as much of the problem as the OC play calling.

This. The talent he has is improved from last year and somehow they're playing worse.

The Franchise
10-05-2015, 10:28 AM
As much as it pains me to admit, they have to let Berry walk. I know he's just getting back, but the amount of impact plays he's made since the 2nd half of 13 does not justify paying him.

I would probably re-sign Jaye Howard because Devito shouldn't be brought back either and you need options just in case Poe never re-gains his form.

Let Stephenson walk too. I'll sink with Fisher for a year (hopefully Alex's last as a Chief) instead of giving him a long-term deal.

Howard needs to be at NT and Poe needs to be moved to DE.

Poe - Howard - Bailey

Discuss Thrower
10-05-2015, 10:29 AM
I don't see how the team does anything more than maybe sneak into a WC berth only to get turned away once they get there next year.

The 2013/2014 drafts really fucked the team.

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-05-2015, 10:30 AM

They just drafted the all time leading passer in the SEC, Murray.

tecumseh
10-05-2015, 11:00 AM
Coaching staff needs to be relieved. Certainly at end of season if record is under .500.

The Bad Guy
10-05-2015, 11:08 AM
I'd keep DJ over Berry...apart from the situation in his personal life..I'm still waiting for him to make an impact play since his rookie season. KC has enough good safeties.

The more pressing question is should they resign S. Smith? I'll take him over Berry...

I would absolutely keep Sean Smith.

You have no idea what Gaines will be once he gets back and Nelson doesn't project as an outside corner.

He's still only 28. I'd give him a 4 year, 36 million dollar deal without blinking.

The Bad Guy
10-05-2015, 11:10 AM
You have to get rid of Heck/Chung, and Sutton/Brasher at the end of this year at minimum.

The Franchise
10-05-2015, 11:12 AM
You have to get rid of Heck/Chung, and Sutton/Brasher at the end of this year at minimum.

I just don't see Reid doing that, unfortunately.

chiefzilla1501
10-05-2015, 11:19 AM

I get what Dorsey was doing. If you have Alex Smith, build a good defense, running game and tight ends. Then people bitched that Alex didn't have receivers. Then they bitched about the ol. If your QB needs all those things to be successful, he's not the right QB.

The chiefs had an opportunity to being in a great transition option in Bridgewater. The team fits him perfectly. But that option is gone now. If we make an aggressive transition to a QB in 2016, it'd probably going to be a pocket Passer. If it's a pocket Passer, now I worry less about my defense and worry more about giving him good protection and some receiving weapons.

So where are we now? We have a Damon Huard option in chase who will probably leave KC next year but fits this system perfectly. And you have two qbs who can't play this year because they are really bad fits for a system that doesn't have great pass pro. I like a lot of what Dorsey has done. But that Bridgewater pick was a huge miss and now we're stuck with trying to make a broken Alex Smith work... Or pushing reset.

BigMeatballDave
10-05-2015, 11:25 AM
Coaching staff needs to be relieved. Certainly at end of season if record is under .500.

Absolutely. You don't go from 11-5 to 9-7 to 7-9?

I'd be shocked if Clark guts the coaching staff. Maybe after the 4th year. We'll see. Reid is on a 5 yr deal, right?

Discuss Thrower
10-05-2015, 11:27 AM
Sutton and/or Heck will get scapegoated not long after Week 17 ends. That will be the only change made between now and 2018.

The Franchise
10-05-2015, 11:28 AM
I'm more apt to give Reid a season to see how this team does without Alex Smith.