PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs OL ranked top 10

Chief Roundup
10-08-2015, 12:28 PM
Can't post a link but I seen our OL is ranked 10 by PFF.
If our OL is ranked that high they are not the biggest issue. More evidence that Reid and Smith are the real issues with this team.

Hootie
10-08-2015, 12:29 PM
PFF as a tool is like WPI to breaking Chiefs news

TEX
10-08-2015, 12:35 PM
PFF as a tool is like WPI to breaking Chiefs news

Exactly. Ranked 30th in passing on some other sites. 27 PFF. That's bottom 5 either way in pass blocking, right? :shrug:

Chief Roundup
10-08-2015, 12:36 PM
Stats are stats no matter where they come from. No they are not perfect but they are not wrong either.

Chief Roundup
10-08-2015, 12:39 PM
Exactly. Ranked 30th in passing on some other sites. 27 PFF. That's bottom 5 either way in pass blocking, right? :shrug:
3rd in run blocking does skew the overall ranking.
But a middle of the road OL should be good enough.

DC.chief
10-08-2015, 12:48 PM
PFF is a terrible tool at grading certain (most) things. This is one of them.

Chiefnj2
10-08-2015, 12:50 PM
I don't think it necessarily means you are middle of the road if your pass blocking sucks and run blocking is good. Especially for Andy's system that gives Charles less than 15 runs per game and relies upon the pass. Smith makes the pass blocking worse than it is, but even with an average QB the pass blocking would be below average.

TEX
10-08-2015, 12:54 PM
I don't think it necessarily means you are middle of the road if your pass blocking sucks and run blocking is good. Especially for Andy's system that gives Charles less than 15 runs per game and relies upon the pass. Smith makes the pass blocking worse than it is, but even with an average QB the pass blocking would be below average.

That's exactly the case.

TEX
10-08-2015, 01:03 PM

I agree... The run blocking is based on a small sample size and factors QB scrambles etc. A Middle of the road line should be good enough for good QB's, but not with a QB who has a history of needing more. Dorsey can't use the same philosophy to construct an OL in KC for Smith that he did in GB, where he had a QB who could function well regardless. Just my take.

BossChief
10-08-2015, 01:12 PM
Its possible that the OL is ranked highly because PFF pins most of the sacks on Alex Smith due to him holding the ball more than 3 seconds.

DaneMcCloud
10-08-2015, 01:19 PM
Stats are stats no matter where they come from. No they are not perfect but they are not wrong either.

LMAO

What PFF provides are NOT "stats".

It's a few British guys sitting in a room trying to "grade" the performance of players in which they're completely clueless as to their assignments.

oaklandhater
10-08-2015, 01:27 PM
Can't post a link but I seen our OL is ranked 10 by PFF.
If our OL is ranked that high they are not the biggest issue. More evidence that Reid and Smith are the real issues with this team.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=295123

oaklandhater
10-08-2015, 01:28 PM
Its possible that the OL is ranked highly because PFF pins most of the sacks on Alex Smith due to him holding the ball more than 3 seconds.

This

oaklandhater
10-08-2015, 01:28 PM
LMAO

It's a few British guys sitting in a room trying to "grade" the performance of players in which they're completely clueless as to their assignments.

Any one can see Smith is holding on for way too long.

hitchief
10-08-2015, 01:35 PM

oh my god yes, he has so much time back there that he gets complacent and then holds the ball to long cause he doesn't want to throw the ball to wide open wr's

thank the lord for the obvious pointing out once again another Alex problem holding this most excellent of teams back!

Bewbies
10-08-2015, 01:35 PM

You haven't been here long?

oaklandhater
10-08-2015, 01:48 PM
You haven't been here long?

Sarcasm is "a sharp, bitter, or cutting expression or remark; a bitter gibe or taunt."[1][2] Sarcasm may employ ambivalence,[3] although sarcasm is not necessarily ironic.[4] "The distinctive quality of sarcasm is present in the spoken word and manifested chiefly by vocal inflections".[5] The sarcastic content of a statement will be dependent upon the context in which it appears.[6]

BWillie
10-08-2015, 01:56 PM
In theory, PFF should be a great tool to find out how a given player is doing. They specifically watch how one individual player does on every snap, and how they perform. Most fans and media outlets focus on the end result and maybe 3-4 plays that stuck out in their mind. Doesn't mean that it's perfect though, because lots of these PFF rankings do seem odd.

DaneMcCloud
10-08-2015, 02:04 PM
In theory, PFF should be a great tool to find out how a given player is doing.

Football isn't baseball. It's not a pitcher versus a batter or fielder versus a hit. It's not batting with runners in scoring position or is it on base percentage.

Football is a true team sport. Each individual has their own assignment. People that don't know those assignments can't accurately judge how a player is doing. Those same people can't accurately state that a player missed a block when they don't know if that's true or not.

PFF can provide some insight but it's extremely flawed. Only the players and coaches know specifically how a player grades out from week to week.

Bob Dole
10-08-2015, 02:05 PM

Your mentor Claynus is in another thread discounting stats.

Real ones...not this crap.

Chief Roundup
10-08-2015, 02:08 PM
That is where Andy needs to be calling what the team does best instead of he is fantasizing about.

Chief Roundup
10-08-2015, 02:10 PM
Your mentor Claynus is in another thread discounting stats.

Real ones...not this crap.
Wrong again. Drunk again? Pay attention and you will know better than this you miserable asshat.

Red Dawg
10-08-2015, 02:20 PM
They must be talking about 10 years ago. How stupid. The last 3 games the announcers have trashed our OL and they deserved it.

xztop123
10-08-2015, 06:46 PM
Reid does not allow alex smith any audibles (even protection) at the line.

IDK if this is due to the time it takes all the relaying of the playcalls from him to the OC or if thats just what he does.

Does anyone remember if he let Mcnabb have line control?

Rausch
10-08-2015, 07:39 PM
Wrong again. Drunk again? Pay attention and you will know better than this you miserable asshat.

I'm drunk nearly every post my fingers type and I know this line isn't anywhere close to top 10 in anything other than sacks allowed.

You look that up?...

tecumseh
10-08-2015, 08:04 PM
Maybe there was a play or two where the OL was top ten.

DaneMcCloud
10-08-2015, 10:11 PM
Maybe there was a play or two where the OL was top ten.

Most likely in warm ups

Psyko Tek
10-08-2015, 10:54 PM

do you actually watch the games?

Psyko Tek
10-08-2015, 10:57 PM
LMAO

REALLY? BRITISH?
ANYBODY QUOTING THIS SIGHT FROM NOW ON SHOULD GET A 5 DAY BAN, AND DRUG TESTING

you piss on a q tip, and then PM Bob Dole to ask him where to send it
starting with the OP

Chiefnj2
10-09-2015, 06:45 AM
REALLY? BRITISH?

starting with the OP

The guy who did the OL rankings and analysis. Where is he from and what football experience does he have?

Chief Roundup
10-09-2015, 07:28 AM
I'm drunk nearly every post my fingers type and I know this line isn't anywhere close to top 10 in anything other than sacks allowed.

You look that up?...

Did I look up what specifically?
I don't believe this is a top OL either. The biggest point in all of this is that if the OL can run block better then the coaching staff, Reid, should be playing to that strength. No I don't think they are worthy of the 3rd ranking for run blocking. Either way the HC should be playing to the strength of his team and he is not.
If we ran the ball more our run blocking and pass block ranking would change. More than likely improving our pass blocking, because we would not be so predictable.

Chief Roundup
10-09-2015, 07:35 AM
REALLY? BRITISH?

starting with the OP

At least they are not French and next time you want to comment try to contribute something to it besides stupidity and hatred.

kccrow
10-09-2015, 08:56 AM
You have to understand what PFF is looking at and what the "ranking" entails to get anything meaningful from it. You look at the cumulative scores of individual player performance and things can look better than they are. If one guy fails every play, the play often fails. I don't like their "unit" rankings because of this. I do like their individual player rankings, however.

kccrow
10-09-2015, 09:12 AM
At least they are not French and next time you want to comment try to contribute something to it besides stupidity and hatred.

Hey, I'm French, dick.

Since you hate them so much, stop using a camera, watching movies, using your car, riding a bike, using your microwave, flying on planes, wearing jeans, wearing polo shirts, drinking milk, using binoculars, taking aspirin, taking any drug administered by a hyperdermic needle, using dry cell and liquid storage batteries, anything using the modern DivX, and so forth since the French are responsible for inventions that have made these possible or made them directly (most of these). If you do well with that, then carry on.

Chief Roundup
10-09-2015, 09:18 AM
Hey, I'm French, dick.

Since you hate them so much, stop using a camera, watching movies, using your car, riding a bike, using your microwave, flying on planes, wearing jeans, wearing polo shirts, drinking milk, using binoculars, taking aspirin, taking any drug administered by a hyperdermic needle, using dry cell and liquid storage batteries, anything using the modern DivX, and so forth since the French are responsible for inventions that have made these possible or made them directly (most of these). If you do well with that, then carry on.
A little sensitive of someone using the common knowledge that you can't or couldn't depend on the French.

kccrow
10-09-2015, 09:21 AM
A little sensitive of someone using the common knowledge that you can't or couldn't depend on the French.

Who cannot depend on them? The U.S. World Police Force? Are you offended they don't dabble in everyone's affairs militarily? What a shame they aren't as politically connected to war as we are here.

ChiefGator
10-09-2015, 09:31 AM
Hey, I'm French, dick.

You left out freedom.

Chiefnj2
10-09-2015, 10:07 AM
Hey, I'm French, dick.

Does that mean you give up?

Chief Roundup
10-09-2015, 10:33 AM
Don't be pissed at me dude. This common knowledge has been shown in movies such as the Patriot. Not my fault they were viewed that way.

Bowser
10-09-2015, 12:18 PM
The Chiefs' line IS top 10

http://cdn.styleforum.net/b/b8/b834f2bb_for-me-to-poop-on.jpeg

DaneMcCloud
10-09-2015, 01:46 PM
Don't be pissed at me dude. This common knowledge has been shown in movies such as the Patriot. Not my fault they were viewed that way.

:facepalm:

kccrow
10-09-2015, 10:37 PM
Does that mean you give up?

I gave up a long time ago, now I'm just biding my time sipping wine and kissing all the ladies I can.

Saccopoo
10-09-2015, 10:40 PM

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/45/Statue_of_Liberty_Paris_001.jpg

kccrow
10-09-2015, 10:44 PM
LOL Sac, I just spit on my keyboard a bit.

Bwana
10-09-2015, 10:54 PM
Top 10 yeah right. :whackit:

Chiefshrink
10-10-2015, 01:50 PM

They actually pass block ? Who knew?:shrug:

Rausch
10-10-2015, 02:07 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/45/Statue_of_Liberty_Paris_001.jpg

Would not hit it...

TEX
10-10-2015, 02:59 PM
They actually pass block ? Who knew?:shrug:

ROFL Exactly.

Chiefshrink
10-10-2015, 03:24 PM
ROFL Exactly.

Just imagine if their run blocking was good and their pass blocking was mediocre. Charles would rush for 2000 and Maclin and Kelce would join Charles in the Pro Bowl. Right now their run blocking is mediocre at best.

keg in kc
10-10-2015, 03:36 PM
I still think the playcalling and the guy behind center both have a direct impact on the line. Reid's incredibly predictable and calls a ridiculous amount of short passing plays that run laterally rather than downfield and even when he doesn't Smith still won't attack very often beyond intermediate zones, basically not unless a guy is 'Alex Smith open', so defenses essentially just have to worry about the first 15 yards past the los. I'd be interested to see what Al Saunders would have done with this lineup, particularly with a qb whose eyes were downfield. Not that I think this line would be on par with the epic early 00s line, but I bet both factors would make them look a lot better.

TEX
10-10-2015, 04:37 PM
I still think the playcalling and the guy behind center both have a direct impact on the line. Reid's incredibly predictable and calls a ridiculous amount of short passing plays that run laterally rather than downfield and even when he doesn't Smith still won't attack very often beyond intermediate zones, basically not unless a guy is 'Alex Smith open', so defenses essentially just have to worry about the first 15 yards past the los. I'd be interested to see what Al Saunders would have done with this lineup, particularly with a qb whose eyes were downfield. Not that I think this line would be on par with the epic early 00s line, but I bet both factors would make them look a lot better.

Good points all but the biggest direct impact on the OL is the OL suckage itself. I'm betting that's an OL coaching issue. Heck should have been fired yesterday.

ViperVisor
10-10-2015, 08:54 PM

http://i.imgur.com/s5dLJEr.jpg

keg in kc
10-10-2015, 09:29 PM
Good points all but the biggest direct impact on the OL is the OL suckage itself. I'm betting that's an OL coaching issue. Heck should have been fired yesterday.I actually think Smith is significantly detrimental to the appearance of the line's play. More so than the actual play of the line itself.

BlackOp
10-10-2015, 11:14 PM

God...I was going to add an insult there but...the fact you would mention "The Patriot" Hollywood propaganda as a form of historical accuracy is embarrassing...might as well use Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Dissing the French is some tired-ass meme that ignorant people use when parroting their military father's lack of individualized thinking ....or whatever news channel has brainwashed them.

There is a high probability that those that use this cliche have no real exposure to french culture...or their contributions to modern civilization.

French are pussies in war...but "merica can carpet bomb civilian neighborhoods with impunity...impunity being the media doesn't show these acts on the 1067 cable channels of corporate "TV". Those dead children dont count...they dont have Applebees over there.

Sandy Vagina
10-11-2015, 05:56 AM
http://i.imgur.com/s5dLJEr.jpg

Now THIS.. I understand, lol.

beach tribe
10-11-2015, 07:01 AM

Jamaal Charles skews the overall rating.

beach tribe
10-11-2015, 07:14 AM

I'm thinking it's a flawed analysis. On one hand, you have how Quickly a QB gets rid of the ball, and on the other, how long a QB has to get rid of the ball. If it's PFF, don't be surprised.

I'm going to straighten this all out for you with some hardcore scientific data that I have gathered, using this new measurement tool, that I like to call my own fucking eyeballs.
They are dog shit.

This is where the inner homer fucks me every single time.

I knew they were dog shit.......and I bet on them panning out.

THEY NEVER DO!!!!!

NEVER!!!!!!

lmaohttp://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh90/bbeal29/tumblr_m6bmcgbj2e1rziwwco2_500_zpsiejlihwo.gif (http://s254.photobucket.com/user/bbeal29/media/tumblr_m6bmcgbj2e1rziwwco2_500_zpsiejlihwo.gif.html)

Can't wait for that 1st round fatty..........pumped.

milkman
10-11-2015, 07:37 AM

When nearly 90% of your pass attempts are 10 yards or less, of course you are getting the ball out quickly.

It's the rest of the drop backs that he fails at.

chiefzilla1501
10-11-2015, 07:53 AM

How many of these were from a failed blitz pickup? Or a designed quick screen? Or due to failed pocket recognition to extend the play? Or when he takes a quick look at his primary read then immediately moves to the checkdown? Because that is vintage Alex Smith.

You are the only person in the world, it seems, that has trouble seeing ALex Smith for what he is. Even the media gets it... finally. He's a guy who is effective at all the easy stuff but fucks you because he'll never take any chances... ever.

Sandy Vagina
10-11-2015, 08:57 AM
When nearly 90% of your pass attempts are 10 yards or less, of course you are getting the ball out quickly.

It's the rest of the drop backs that he or the OL fails at.

added to your post.. :thumb:

Sandy Vagina
10-11-2015, 09:01 AM
How many of these were from a failed blitz pickup? Or a designed quick screen? Or due to failed pocket recognition to extend the play? Or when he takes a quick look at his primary read then immediately moves to the checkdown? Because that is vintage Alex Smith.

You are the only person in the world, it seems, that has trouble seeing ALex Smith for what he is. Even the media gets it... finally. He's a guy who is effective at all the easy stuff but ****s you because he'll never take any chances... ever.

This DOES disappoint me as well, and I have always said as much.

I do acknowledge that sometimes, Alex is just rattled, and his fundamentals get broken during stretches of pressure.

I am NOT all that happy with Alex's play so far and since the Houston first half....

BUT

that doesn't mean I don't blame the OL, playcalls, and miserable defense also... and yes... more so.

Always said... Alex will not save a team with this many deficiencies. He is what he is... a pretty good QB (top 15) if his team around him doesn't really suck.