PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Has ownership forced past GMs/coaches to trade for backups?

BossChief
10-17-2015, 11:03 AM
Have the Hunts forced the hand of the GM/coaches to build the team around a veteran QB the last 30+ years?

I know this is far fetched and I'm not saying it's the case, but I think it's worth a discussion. A few of us have mentioned it over the years and I do think it's possible.

Ever since they blew the pick in 83, they seem shell shocked to try again and it's been consistent through the years that the way we've gotten our quarterbacks is by trading/signing vets with "fatal flaws" that "just need coached up" and have consistently passed on drafting quarterbacks.

Even the Draft Day movie had us frothing at the mouth to trade for a soon to be backup QB from another team. It's pretty much the DNA of this team for over 30 years.

The only constant during that time is ownership.

When the Hunts hire a new candidate, are they told this is a requirement? No first round quarterbacks?
Discuss

tk13
10-17-2015, 11:08 AM
I think this is the most unrealistic conspiracy theory in the Chiefs universe. It doesn't even make sense to me. Honestly I think it's kind of dumb to think Clark is out there telling Dorsey not to draft a QB because we failed at it when Clark was 18 years old. Why would Clark care?

Discuss Thrower
10-17-2015, 11:10 AM
Absolutely.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-17-2015, 11:23 AM
Approach it from the perspective of a GM.

What is your primary goal? Is it to win a Super Bowl, or to ensure that you don't lose your job? While A may result in B, the risks necessary to achieve A may make for a short tenure if you choose the wrong QB/coach combo.

Thus, this franchise, for whatever reason, has always had GMs who have gravitated towards the known commodity with a very defined floor rather than an unknown commodity with an unknown ceiling (and floor).

It's no different than most people in daily life, who mindlessly follow instructions from their employers rather than taking risks, it's just applied on a scale of sport rather than humdrum existence.

Red Dawg
10-17-2015, 11:27 AM
The problem has been the heat to always win immediately. So the GM gets a vet to speed up the process instead of going through any growing pains. That's the issue.

Just hasn't worked at all and we have passed over stud after stud like idiots. It needs to stop.

TimBone
10-17-2015, 11:27 AM
Absolutely not. It's one of the most stupid conspiracies on Chiefsplanet.

Shawny2X4
10-17-2015, 11:29 AM
I doubt this organization is actively against drafting a QB in the first round. The problem is that they are waiting for the next Andrew Luck, Aaron Rodgers, or Peyton Manning before they pull the trigger, which doesn't happen all too often. As I see it, they are risk averse; I would like to see them take more shots with QB prospects.

DaneMcCloud
10-17-2015, 11:31 AM
Carl Peterson recently admitted that he didn't have the patience to wait on a young QB to develop during his tenure in KC, nor did the coaches he hired. I don't believe that's mandated by ownership as much as it is by the people that both Clark and Lamar hired to run their franchise.

It's rather conspicuous that the Chiefs haven't drafted a QB in the first round since 1983 but if they had chosen someone, most likely, that player would have failed because it's pretty clear that management wasn't interested in developing a QB.

kc79
10-17-2015, 11:34 AM
Lamar let Carl run the show. It was Carl's decision not to draft a 1st rd QB. Pioli had Cassel, so he was set. Reid wanted Smith and Dorsey got him. My hope is Alex plays so bad they're forced to go after a QB in rd 1. Hoping for 1-15 and this time hopefully there will be a franchise QB waiting for us

ThaVirus
10-17-2015, 11:36 AM

What is your primary goal? Is it to win a Super Bowl, or to ensure that you don't lose your job? While A may result in B, the risks necessary to achieve A may make for a short tenure if you choose the wrong QB/coach combo.

Thus, this franchise, for whatever reason, has always had GMs who have gravitated towards the known commodity with a very defined floor rather than an unknown commodity with an unknown ceiling (and floor).

It's no different than most people in daily life, who mindlessly follow instructions from their employers rather than taking risks, it's just applied on a scale of sport rather than humdrum existence.

This is it.

These guys want to keep their jobs. Busting on a QB puts their paychecks at risk.

FlaChief58
10-17-2015, 11:37 AM
I think it is driven by the hunts. As far back as I can remember they would rather bring in someone elses trash, than try and draft and develop their own QB. Before the rookie salary cap, you could kind of understand their apprehension, but now, there is no reason to not draft a QB high when you so desperatly need one.

I just don't get why they'll draft prospect fatties and such in the top 2 rounds, but never seem to go after sure fire players, even if that means trading up, which we never seem to do.

tk13
10-17-2015, 11:41 AM
I think it's the exact opposite. Ownership does not interfere at all, and allows the front office to run the team how they see fit. As Hamas says, GMs or coaches may not want to take a risk if that risk means they lose their job. The reason it's been so long is because the Hunts haven't interfered, not because they have.

With Marty and Gunther... we were never really rebuilding. We were expected to win every season, not take a step back with a rookie QB. I'm not sure the fans would've even gone for it then. Even in San Diego, Marty probably would've stayed with Brees over Rivers if he'd had his way.

Vermeil traded for Green, a QB he was very comfortable with. Pioli went with Cassel, a QB he was comfortable with. Reid went with Alex, likely because he thought he was a better QB than Geno Smith, which has pretty much turned out to be true. Plus it's fair to say Alex would pick up Reid's offense much faster than anyone else.

The only one to kind of take a shot was Herm. Granted it wasn't in the 1st round... but Croyle was still a 1st day pick and he was given shots to take the starting job. Herm and Kuharich were so draft focused... I think if given more time, they probably would've tried again.

But there's the catch, they didn't get more time because they messed up, the team crashed and burned, and they were fired.

DaneMcCloud
10-17-2015, 11:42 AM
http://www.chiefsdigest.com/the-seemingly-unending-chiefs-search-for-a-franchise-quarterback/

Some have wondered over the years if there is some sort of ban instituted by ownership that a quarterback should not be drafted in the first round by the Chiefs.

“All Lamar (Hunt) wanted was to be informed and to be consulted if we traded a first-round pick,” Peterson said. “There was no mandate to stay away from the position.”

For Peterson, it had more to do with the two most successful head coaches that worked for him – Marty Schottenheimer and Dick Vermeil. Neither one wanted to deal with the roller coaster that comes from a young quarterback getting his first opportunity to play in the league.

“They didn’t want to go through that, and frankly neither did I,” Peterson said. “Hindsight always tells us we should have used the first rounder this year, or that year for a quarterback. When it’s early in the draft, you seldom have that kind of clarity.”

------------------------------------

Steadman and Schaaf drafted Blackledge in 1983 and only ran the team for six more years. Peterson ran the team for 20 seasons.

That's 26 of the last 32 years run by two management teams.

I'd imagine that sometime in the near future, the Chiefs will select a first round QB but that won't be any guarantee of future success.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-17-2015, 11:50 AM

If Dorsey doesn't come up out of the garbage rounds this year, I officially have no use for him.

RealSNR
10-17-2015, 11:51 AM
I doubt this organization is actively against drafting a QB in the first round. The problem is that they are waiting for the next Andrew Luck, Aaron Rodgers, or Peyton Manning before they pull the trigger, which doesn't happen all too often. As I see it, they are risk averse; I would like to see them take more shots with QB prospects.

THANKS FOR YOUR VALUABLE INPUT

Sandy Vagina
10-17-2015, 11:52 AM
If Dorsey doesn't come up out of the garbage rounds this year, I officially have no use for him.

I am certain this holds as much meaning to him as it does the rest of us.

rabblerouser
10-17-2015, 11:53 AM
Oh, Derek Carr is still available??

Let's take DEE FUCKING FORD.

Baby Lee
10-17-2015, 11:55 AM
Them, the Colonel and the Triumvirate hatched a secret plan for perpetual 9-7 and endless $30 BBQ buffets in the parking lot

RunKC
10-17-2015, 11:59 AM
http://www.chiefsdigest.com/the-seemingly-unending-chiefs-search-for-a-franchise-quarterback/

Some have wondered over the years if there is some sort of ban instituted by ownership that a quarterback should not be drafted in the first round by the Chiefs.

“All Lamar (Hunt) wanted was to be informed and to be consulted if we traded a first-round pick,” Peterson said. “There was no mandate to stay away from the position.”

For Peterson, it had more to do with the two most successful head coaches that worked for him – Marty Schottenheimer and Dick Vermeil. Neither one wanted to deal with the roller coaster that comes from a young quarterback getting his first opportunity to play in the league.

“They didn’t want to go through that, and frankly neither did I,” Peterson said. “Hindsight always tells us we should have used the first rounder this year, or that year for a quarterback. When it’s early in the draft, you seldom have that kind of clarity.”

------------------------------------

Steadman and Schaaf drafted Blackledge in 1983 and only ran the team for six more years. Peterson ran the team for 20 seasons.

That's 26 of the last 32 years run by two management teams.

I'd imagine that sometime in the near future, the Chiefs will select a first round QB but that won't be any guarantee of future success.

IIRC Pioli didn't want to draft one early BC he was overconfident in Cassel (ugh).
2014 was one of the worst offseasons in recent memory. It's incredibly disappointing that we didn't take a QB.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was true though. "We gotta get our Len Dawson" seems to be the plan for this regime.

This offseason will tell us a whole lot about Clark. There's no way they can piddle out Alex in 2016 and trading for/signing another retread like Bradford, RG3, etc will confirm this.

I personaly think the Hunt family is a huge part of this problem.

ChiefsCountry
10-17-2015, 12:24 PM
Carl Peterson recently admitted that he didn't have the patience to wait on a young QB to develop during his tenure in KC, nor did the coaches he hired. I don't believe that's mandated by ownership as much as it is by the people that both Clark and Lamar hired to run their franchise.

It's rather conspicuous that the Chiefs haven't drafted a QB in the first round since 1983 but if they had chosen someone, most likely, that player would have failed because it's pretty clear that management wasn't interested in developing a QB.

See Matt Blundin for best example. Never given a crack.

DaneMcCloud
10-17-2015, 12:26 PM
See Matt Blundin for best example. Never given a crack.

Or Elkins.

I have no idea if either would have been a legit NFL QB but neither were ever given the chance and most likely, the coaching.

ChiefsCountry
10-17-2015, 12:40 PM
Or Elkins.

I have no idea if either would have been a legit NFL QB but neither were ever given the chance and most likely, the coaching.

http://articles.philly.com/1995-08-02/sports/25709109_1_klingler-matt-blundin-rich-gannon

http://articles.philly.com/1994-07-27/sports/25846920_1_preseason-chiefs-president-carl-peterson-chiefs-coach-marty-schottenheimer

ILChief
10-17-2015, 12:41 PM
Oh, Derek Carr is still available??

Let's take DEE FUCKING FORD.

Bridgewater should have been the pick

Chiefshrink
10-17-2015, 01:21 PM
These guys want to keep their jobs. Busting on a QB puts their paychecks at risk.

Yep. Been far more 1st rd bust QBs than All Pro QBs for sure.

GloucesterChief
10-17-2015, 01:35 PM
I guess that the NFL just doesn't have the patience that a MLB or NHL team would have with building up slowly.

kccrow
10-17-2015, 01:53 PM
When the Chiefs passed on Aaron Rodgers to draft Derrick Johnson, it told me all I need to know about this franchise. They have been in position to draft a QB or trade up only a couple spots to draft a QB multiple times since then. Some were failures, some weren't. Brady Quinn, Marc Sanchez, Andy Dalton, Joe Flacco, Ryan Tannehill, and Derek Carr all come to mind recently. There were times prior to Rodgers as well. Failure.

splatbass
10-17-2015, 01:57 PM
No, I don't.

Conspiracy theories are easy, but rarely true.

DaneMcCloud
10-17-2015, 02:03 PM
When the Chiefs passed on Aaron Rodgers to draft Derrick Johnson, it told me all I need to know about this franchise. They have been in position to draft a QB or trade up only a couple spots to draft a QB multiple times since then. Some were failures, some weren't. Brady Quinn, Marc Sanchez, Andy Dalton, Joe Flacco, Ryan Tannehill, and Derek Carr all come to mind recently. There were times prior to Rodgers as well. Failure.

Give me a fucking break.

:facepalm:

No one in the NFL thought that Aaron Rodgers would become one of the greatest QB's ever or he would have been chosen #1 overall. He had flaws, plus, his head coach produced failure after failure at QB.

As for the rest, Quinn was garbage and Tannehill is a joke. Flacco was a reach and has needed multiple offensive coordinators and QB coaches to help him and the jury is still way out on Carr. He's as inconsistent as they come at QB.

It's taken Dalton five years to become a solid NFL QB and I seriously doubt he'd be flourishing in KC without an AJ Green, Zach Ertz, Bernard, Sanu and an excellent offensive line. He'd have been beaten and battered.

The biggest mistake the Chiefs have made in the past 20 years in terms of QB was trading for Trent Green and passing on Brees, who would have been amazing in Vermeil's Coryell offense.

kccrow
10-17-2015, 02:06 PM
Give me a fucking break.

No one in the NFL thought that Aaron Rodgers would become one of the greatest QB's ever or he would have been chosen #1 overall. He had flaws, plus, his head coach produced failure after failure at QB.

As for the rest, Quinn was garbage and Tannehill is a joke. Flacco was a reach and has needed multiple offensive coordinators and QB coaches to help him and the jury is still way out on Carr. He's as inconsistent as they come at QB.

It's taken Dalton five years to become a solid NFL QB and I seriously doubt he'd be flourishing in KC without an AJ Green, Zach Ertz, Bernard, Sanu and an excellent offensive line. He'd have been beaten and battered.

The biggest mistake the Chiefs have made in the past 20 years in terms of QB was trading for Trent Green and passing on Brees, who would have been amazing in Vermeil's Coryell offense.

I'm not giving you nor the Chiefs a fucking break. All of these guys looked the part in college, and to suggest otherwise is a fucking joke. I said some failed, and sometimes you just don't get the right guy. Look at Cleveland, but at least they keep fucking trying. The Chiefs are pathetic as a franchise and will continue to be pathetic until they draft a franchise QB. That won't happen unless you take shots.

TimBone
10-17-2015, 02:07 PM
If you want to make the argument that the Hunts have failed to step in and demand a premium QB prospect be drafted, then that's a much better argmuent. And one that I would likely agree where they have failed. However, to assume that the Hunts, who have been notorious for handing the team over to football minds and stepping aside, are telling the people that they put in charge to not draft a QB is just silly.

Baby Lee
10-17-2015, 02:08 PM
I'm not giving you nor the Chiefs a fucking break. All of these guys looked the part in college, and to suggest otherwise is a fucking joke. I said some failed, and sometimes you just don't get the right guy. Look at Cleveland, but at least they keep fucking trying. The Chiefs are pathetic as a franchise and will continue to be pathetic until they draft a franchise QB. That won't happen unless you take shots.

When you utter the phrase 'look at Cleveland' as a motivational ANYTHING, it's time to take stock of your life.

O.city
10-17-2015, 02:11 PM
Rodgers isn't rodgers anywhere but therr. It was the perfect situation.

Baby Lee
10-17-2015, 02:12 PM
Rodgers isn't rodgers anywhere but therr. It was the perfect situation.

Rodgers would have been fine here, if Trent didn't get Batmanned.

A little more iffy if he's ready to go in his sophomore year in the league with our diminishing O-Line and retarded QB coaching staff.

kccrow
10-17-2015, 02:13 PM
When you utter the phrase 'look at Cleveland' as a motivational ANYTHING, it's time to take stock of your life.

Tell me what makes KC any better than Cleveland, aside from a couple more W's a year? Not one thing. Nothing. Zero. Zilch. Nada. They are just as bad from a success standpoint. Take stock in that

O.city
10-17-2015, 02:14 PM
Rodgers would have been fine here, if Trent didn't get Batmanned.

A little more iffy if he's ready to go in his sophomore year in the league with our diminishing O-Line and retarded QB coaching staff.

He completely changed his throwing motion, with the help of that staff.

He may have been decent herr, but nothing like he is today

Baby Lee
10-17-2015, 02:15 PM
Tell me what makes KC any better than Cleveland, aside from a couple more W's a year? Not one thing. Nothing. Zero. Zilch. Nada. They are just as bad from a success standpoint. Take stock in that

But see, I'm looking to improve the Chiefs, not desperately seeking a new way to fail even more and longer.

DaneMcCloud
10-17-2015, 02:16 PM

The Chiefs didn't need a QB in 2005. They needed defense. Derrick Johnson was the correct choice for a team and regime needing to "Win Now".

It's hilarious to even suggest that Aaron Rodgers would have been the correct choice in 2005, especially since Vermeil retired after the 2005 season and Herm Edwards was hired as head coach, a guy that had no interest in offense.

splatbass
10-17-2015, 02:19 PM
Look at Cleveland, but at least they keep fucking trying.

And that has gotten them what? Decades of pure shit.

"At least they are trying". ROFL

Everyone gets a participation ribbon for trying.

kccrow
10-17-2015, 02:19 PM
He completely changed his throwing motion, with the help of that staff.

He may have been decent herr, but nothing like he is today

Umm. No.

https://youtu.be/65MpgO4hGFc

kccrow
10-17-2015, 02:20 PM
And that has gotten them what? Decades of pure shit.

"At least they are trying". ROFL

And eventually they'll get it right, meanwhile KC will continue to be SHIT.

kccrow
10-17-2015, 02:23 PM

The Chiefs didn't need a QB in 2005. They needed defense. Derrick Johnson was the correct choice for a team and regime needing to "Win Now".

It's hilarious to even suggest that Aaron Rodgers would have been the correct choice in 2005, especially since Vermeil retired after the 2005 season and Herm Edwards was hired as head coach, a guy that had no interest in offense.

LOL "Win Now." That's what makes KC pathetic. They won't Win Now, nor will they Win Later until they get a legitimate franchise QB. You draft them when you have the chance. Or should I say, you draft what you think will be one when you have the chance.

DaneMcCloud
10-17-2015, 02:24 PM
LOL "Win Now." That's what makes KC pathetic.

Then fuck off and go away

DaneMcCloud
Umm. No.

Idiot

O.city
+

Umm. No.

http://thesidelineview.com/columns/nfl/can-quarterbacks-mechanics-be-altered

Um, yes

splatbass

No, Cleveland won't eventually get it right. They have only had a good team for a short time (the Marty years) in my 53 year old lifetime. The Chiefs have had some damn good teams during that time.

DaneMcCloud

ROFL

DaFace
10-17-2015, 02:25 PM

The Chiefs are run like a governmental office - not an innovative company. They do what is safe and proven rather than what is unusual and groundbreaking.

RunKC
10-17-2015, 02:26 PM
Hindsight would tell us that Rodgers was the right pick, but again people keep going to the same problem this team has had forever: they can't draft.

QB is the problem to a lot of folks here and it's magnified. So say we draft one soon. yay! First round QB!!!

Now let's keep the people around who brought us Eric Fisher, Dee Ford, 2 wasted 2nd rd picks and a terrible QB contract and trust them to surround said QB with talent.
Seems to be following right in line with the guys they replaced who gave us Tyson Jackson, Glenn Dorsey and Jon Baldwin.

Problem is management.

O.city
10-17-2015, 02:28 PM
Hindsight would tell us that Rodgers was the right pick, but again people keep going to the same problem this team has had forever: they can't draft.

QB is the problem to a lot of folks here and it's magnified. So say we draft one soon. yay! First round QB!!!

Let's keep the people around who brought us Eric Fisher, Dee Ford, 2 wasted 2nd rd picks and a terrible QB contract.
Seems to be following right in line with the guys they replaced who gave us Tyson Jackson, Glenn Dorsey and Jon Baldwin.

Problem is management.

The process of drafting fisher and ford made sense, all things considered, and Fisher seems to have made strides this year.

Ford needs to play and see, now.

RunKC
10-17-2015, 02:30 PM
The process of drafting fisher and ford made sense, all things considered, and Fisher seems to have made strides this year.

Ford needs to play and see, now.

Fisher has been teetering on average and Dee Ford has been an embarrassment of epic proportions.

2014 was one of the worst offseasons I can remember in a long time.

DaneMcCloud
10-17-2015, 02:34 PM
Dee Ford has been an embarrassment of epic proportions.

Hyperbole much?

Baby Lee
10-17-2015, 02:34 PM

Now let's keep the people around who brought us Eric Fisher, Dee Ford, 2 wasted 2nd rd picks and a terrible QB contract and trust them to surround said QB with talent.

Problem is management.

Reid sez that's all on him. A few things we have to do better going forward.

splatbass
10-17-2015, 02:36 PM

A close friend of mine is a Browns fan and he is so miserable he makes Clay and SDW look like optimists. Be careful what you wish for.

kccrow
10-17-2015, 02:36 PM
http://thesidelineview.com/columns/nfl/can-quarterbacks-mechanics-be-altered

Um, yes

He still has an over the top throwing motion and he always will. He holds the ball a bit lower during his drop back, that doesn't change the throwing motion. When he sets to throw, he brings the ball up with his arm at 90 degrees to his body, delivers with his elbow meeting at eye level, and follows through.

kccrow
10-17-2015, 02:40 PM
A close friend of mine is a Browns fan and he is so miserable he makes Clay and SDW look like optimists. Be careful what you wish for.

Wish for? I'd say we already have it don't we? Browns are 2-3. Chiefs are 1-4. The Browns have, quite literally, been a QB away from being a damned good football team for some time and they've tried to get it right. They failed. I never said they had great talent evaluators, but they do have the right philosophy. If they do ever get it right, I think they'll be one hell of a football team.

RunKC
Hyperbole much?

Running away from RB's, getting lit up by a scrub RB in embarrassing fashion and being juked by a slow ginger QB says it all.

Baby Lee

SDW and Claynus aren't pessimists.

They're as tickled as shit.

They hate the Chiefs and all Chiefs fans like Al Davis' rotting corpse.

Their gym socks overfloweth.

The Franchise
10-17-2015, 02:42 PM

Problem is management.

What happened? 3 months ago this was one of the most talented teams in the league. Anyone who said differently didn't know what they were talking about. Dorsey was one of the top GMs.....look at all the talent he brought in!

The Franchise
10-17-2015, 02:43 PM
Running away from RB's, getting lit up by a scrub RB in embarrassing fashion and being juked by a slow ginger QB says it all.

I guess CJ Mosley must suck then because he's been juked out by Dalton.

DaneMcCloud
10-17-2015, 02:43 PM

He's had a rough start to his career and may never amount to anything.

But "epic proportions"? The guy was 23rd overall in the draft. No additional picks were given up to acquire him.

RGIII is a miss of epic proportions. Not Dee Ford.

TimBone
10-17-2015, 02:44 PM
I kinda wish you would have made this a poll, BossChief.

Also, for the folks arguing that management has indeed forced the team to trade for QB's rather than draft their own, have you offered any explanation other than 'The Hunts have been the only owners all this time, and we haven't drafted one in the first rounds since 1983'?

I mean, Peterson who was the GM forever, publicly said that he and his coaches didn't want one, and it was their decision. Pioli was a dumbshit blinded by Patriot success, and wanted Cassel. And Reid has publicly stated that he wanted Alex Smith when he and Dorsey were hired. That covers it all the way back to 1989.

Baby Lee
10-17-2015, 02:47 PM
What happened? 3 months ago this was one of the most talented teams in the league. Anyone who said differently didn't know what they were talking about. Dorsey was one of the top GMs.....look at all the talent he brought in!

Like I said, they remind me of someone you've seen be legitimately funny. Then they try an open mic night and the first heckler has them bounding off the stage in tears.

I don't KNOW what they are, except fragile, right now.

kccrow
10-17-2015, 02:51 PM
If I were an owner, I wouldn't hire nor keep coaches and GMs that were unwilling to draft a QB and use him. The history of the league shows good things happen much more frequently when you draft your own QB in the 1st round.

Interesting articles:

http://jerrybarca.com/blogs/drafting-a-super-bowl-winning-quarterback

http://www.sportradar.us/2012/01/31/from-draft-pick-to-super-bowl-winning-qb/

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/2ecbu2/super_bowl_winning_quarterbacks_not_drafted_by/

RunKC
10-17-2015, 02:55 PM
He's had a rough start to his career and may never amount to anything.

But "epic proportions"? The guy was 23rd overall in the draft. No additional picks were given up to acquire him.

RGIII is a miss of epic proportions. Not Dee Ford.

Dorsey has obviously done a good job finding talent from the waiver wire etc but he's whiffed badly on all of the critical resources. Fisher is somewhat understandable (still no excuse), but following that up with Dee Ford and what he's provided right now is a big reason we are where we are.

This team has a lot of talent, but we needed Alex, Fisher and Ford, decisions based with our top resources, to step up in a huge way. None of them have. That (and coaching) is why we suck.

Eureka
10-17-2015, 03:01 PM
The new GM over in Oakland took the opposite approach. He traded his franchise QB(Palmer) and then turned around and drafted Carr.

Will that workout any better for them? Prob not but the team who got Palmer is as happy as can be to get an older vet.

TimBone
10-17-2015, 03:06 PM
If I were an owner, I wouldn't hire nor keep coaches and GMs that were unwilling to draft a QB and use him. The history of the league shows good things happen much more frequently when you draft your own QB in the 1st round.

Interesting articles:

http://jerrybarca.com/blogs/drafting-a-super-bowl-winning-quarterback

http://www.sportradar.us/2012/01/31/from-draft-pick-to-super-bowl-winning-qb/

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/2ecbu2/super_bowl_winning_quarterbacks_not_drafted_by/
And this is where I say the Hunts have failed as owners to step in at some point and demand that it be made a priority. I'm not talking Jerry Jones or Daniel Snyder type meddling. But there is a happy medium between those owners and a hands off owner such as the Hunts.

TimBone
10-17-2015, 03:07 PM
And I don't mean that ownership needs to force them to draft a 1st round QB just to do it. But at least hold the GM/Coach accountable and have an explanation for why they passed on said QB.

Chief Roundup
10-17-2015, 03:22 PM
I always thought that there was an understanding that they could not draft a QB in the first without it getting approved by the owner prior the new CBA, because of the ridiculous contracts that were being paid to QBs.
We have primarily had retread HCs. Those guys don't want to deal with rookie QBs or have a QB that they think they can work with better than any rook.
I think it is currently allowed since the new CBA.
I think that Clark needs to or should have told whichever GM that it was one of the priorities on the list of needs for the KC Chiefs.

Coochie liquor
10-17-2015, 03:44 PM
This is it.

May be true, but this league is incestuous and nobody stays unemployed for long. So I'm not sure if that's totally the way it should be, but seems to be the way it is.

Easy 6
10-17-2015, 03:56 PM
If you want to make the argument that the Hunts have failed to step in and demand a premium QB prospect be drafted, then that's a much better argmuent. And one that I would likely agree where they have failed. However, to assume that the Hunts, who have been notorious for handing the team over to football minds and stepping aside, are telling the people that they put in charge to not draft a QB is just silly.

Exactly.

The Hunts have been hands off to a fault, no way they're mandating certain moves/non moves.

Otter
10-17-2015, 04:00 PM
I love the "no time" and "no patience" explination. But the team will go 30 years fucking patiently trying to find another teams backup under a proven losing formula.

Fucking bizzaro team.

Easy 6
10-17-2015, 04:05 PM

Still are one of the most talented teams, atleast on paper.

In my mind, much of our troubles have been coaching related. Reid is trying to field a flashy passing game when the available talent dictates leaning on the run, and Sutton cant make halftime adjustments to save his life and loves to go away from something that's working (like the dinver game).

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-17-2015, 04:43 PM
What has KC done better than Cleveland?

What?

WHAT?

DaneMcCloud
10-17-2015, 06:06 PM
What has KC done better than Cleveland?

What?

WHAT?

The Chiefs made the playoffs several times.

Cleveland's been to the playoffs once since 1994 and that was in 2002.

Three different owners since then and they're still garbage.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-17-2015, 06:07 PM
Cleveland West.

DaneMcCloud
10-17-2015, 06:10 PM
Cleveland West.

The same could be said of the Raiders, Chargers, Jacksonville, Tennessee and so many more teams.

Face it: There are a few very good teams that have Hall of Fame QB's, and there's the rest of the NFL that doesn't.

There is no such thing as parity.

The Franchise
10-17-2015, 06:25 PM
The same could be said of the Raiders, Chargers, Jacksonville, Tennessee and so many more teams.

Face it: There are a few very good teams that have Hall of Fame QB's, and there's the rest of the NFL that doesn't.

Rivers carries that Chargers team.

Sandy Vagina
10-17-2015, 06:31 PM

sounds more like you carry Rivers' semen in yo mouth

UL Washington
10-17-2015, 06:34 PM

Well they passed on Rodgers in the 2005 draft so that can't be true. :hmmm:

DaneMcCloud
10-17-2015, 06:37 PM

And they still haven't won anything.

Not even with a HOF TE and RB.

ChiefsCountry
10-17-2015, 06:42 PM
Since the Vermeil era, they really have only passed on 3 if you think about.

2001 - Brees
2009 - Sanchez
2014 - Bridgewater

2005 Rodgers would have been nice in hindsight, 2008 Flacco was a late 1st/early 2nd really a fringe pick, 2007 Quinn was picked right before. Others could have been had, but they are really just playing the hindsight game with them.

Hammock Parties
10-17-2015, 06:44 PM
No. But they are guilty of not forcing those running the team to do just that.

After Croyle flamed out it should have been a mandate that the team absolutely spend a 1st round pick on a QB. The Chiefs had wasted the last 15 years on retreads and a laughable third-rounder with nothing to show for it.

Clark has learned nothing. Either that or he doesn't care enough/isn't confident enough to direct a GM in such a manner.

TimBone
10-17-2015, 06:44 PM
And they still haven't won anything.

Not even with a HOF TE and RB.
Yeah, but it at least opened their window to win a championship there for a few years in the mid 2000's. There hasn't been a window for us where I thought we had a legitimate shot in over twenty years.

DaneMcCloud
10-17-2015, 06:52 PM
Yeah, but it at least opened their window to win a championship there for a few years in the mid 2000's. There hasn't been a window for us where I thought we had a legitimate shot in over twenty years.

The point is that there are no guarantees.

The Chargers won 14 games and still lost in the first round.

They've had a legit HOF QB in Brees that they let go, a good QB in Rivers, a HOF running back in Tomlinson and a HOF TE in Gates.

Zero championships, one AFC Championship appearance and a few division titles in a time when the AFC West has been historically weak.

This doesn't excuse the Chiefs from drafting a QB in the first but it also illustrates that unless you hit on a future HOFer, chances are slim for a Super Bowl win.

TimBone
10-17-2015, 06:54 PM
The point is that there are no guarantees.

The Chargers won 14 games and still lost in the first round.

They've had a legit HOF QB in Brees that they let go, a good QB in Rivers, a HOF running back in Tomlinson and a HOF TE in Gates.

Zero championships, one AFC Championship appearance and a few division titles in a time when the AFC West has been historically weak.

This doesn't excuse the Chiefs from drafting a QB in the first but it also illustrates that unless you hit on a future HOFer, chances are slim for a Super Bowl win.
There are guarantees, though. Guarantees that the Chiefs aren't winning shit with the current format. And that's the only guarantee with which I'm concerned.

DaneMcCloud
10-17-2015, 06:56 PM
There are guarantees, though. Guarantees that the Chiefs aren't winning shit with the current format. And that's the only guarantee with which I'm concerned.

Their inability to win anything goes way beyond the QB position at this point

TimBone
10-17-2015, 06:56 PM
Their inability to win anything goes way beyond the QB position at this point
That's debatable. But it's a solid point.

Baby Lee
10-17-2015, 07:01 PM
That's debatable. But it's a solid point.

Sure, when DANE says it.

TimBone
10-17-2015, 07:25 PM
Sure, when DANE says it.
Well, in my defense, I've just been skimming the thread looking for someone to defend the thought that the Hunts have a "no drafting a qb" rule in place. So, I hadn't read all of what you were posting.

EDIT: and I'm STILL waiting for someone to make that case. You hear people on on board bitching about it all the time. Now there's an actual thread to discuss it, and there's crickets. The only person to even say yes in this thread is Discuss, and of course he had no explanation.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-17-2015, 07:48 PM

There is an excellent crop in the field. No crying about Lucille or four hungry children allowed in this draft.

Time for action.

kccrow
10-17-2015, 07:56 PM
Well, in my defense, I've just been skimming the thread looking for someone to defend the thought that the Hunts have a "no drafting a qb" rule in place. So, I hadn't read all of what you were posting.

EDIT: and I'm STILL waiting for someone to make that case. You hear people on on board bitching about it all the time. Now there's an actual thread to discuss it, and there's crickets. The only person to even say yes in this thread is Discuss, and of course he had no explanation.

The fact that the Hunts have allowed GM's and coaches to follow a practice of not drafting first round QBs is concerning. You hire these people to win championships, and the philosophy used for over 30 years hasn't resulted in shit. At some point, as an owner, you have to pressure your GM and coaches to do what is necessary. Statistically, you are much more likely to win with a home-grown, first-round, franchise QB. As you guessed, that starts with actually drafting a QB in the first round. The Chiefs haven't done so since 1983. So, by deductive reasoning, the Hunts have allowed a "don't draft a first round QB" rule to exist. Whether or not the Hunts have "mandated" that practice or not is negligible.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-17-2015, 08:01 PM
The fact that the Hunts have allowed GM's and coaches to follow a practice of not drafting first round QBs is concerning. You hire these people to win championships, and the philosophy used for over 30 years hasn't resulted in shit. At some point, as an owner, you have to pressure your GM and coaches to do what is necessary. Statistically, you are much more likely to win with a home-grown, first-round, franchise QB. As you guessed, that starts with actually drafting a QB in the first round. The Chiefs haven't done so since 1983. So, by deductive reasoning, the Hunts have allowed a "don't draft a first round QB" rule to exist. Whether or not the Hunts have "mandated" that practice or not is negligible.

At the very least, you put your Jerry Jones hat on for 2 minutes, throw down the mandate, then let your people execute it.

splatbass
10-17-2015, 08:10 PM

Yeah, they've beat us in the playoffs, that is about it. They have't accomplished much otherwise. He's a "franchise QB", shouldn't they be competing for a SB every year? According to some here that is all that is needed, a franchise QB.

DaneMcCloud
10-17-2015, 08:27 PM
There is an excellent crop in the field. No crying about Lucille or four hungry children allowed in this draft.

Time for action.

While I certainly agree, I think that most of us expect the Clarks to not fire anyone and for the Chiefs to take a left tackle.

Business as usual.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-17-2015, 08:35 PM
While I certainly agree, I think that most of us expect the Clarks to not fire anyone and for the Chiefs to take a left tackle.

Business as usual.

Then they should be completely forsaken.

splatbass
10-17-2015, 08:36 PM
Then they should be completely forsaken.

You are free to stop following them. No one is holding a gun to your head.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-17-2015, 08:38 PM
You are free to stop following them. No one is holding a gun to your head.

All things as I see fit.

Otter
10-17-2015, 09:13 PM
Sure, when DANE says it. Anyone with decent football knowledge knows it's not the only reason for this team being a perennial slump. It's the one button that they haven't tried to push for so long after years and years of failure.</br></br>I understand why it gets annoying while agreeing there are other issues. It is kind of silly at this point. I kind of gave up bitching about it after not trying to develop a QB when they had Joe fucking Montana to mentor a young gun.</br></br>Plenty of blame to go around.</br></br>EDIT: I admit my wanting Hackenberg is only because I'm a total PSU homer. I really don't follow the game anymore to know who they should pick.

Rasputin
10-17-2015, 09:13 PM
What gets me the most is how Clark Hunt has talked about that he insist that they build the team through the draft and that is what he looks for in GM Coach like minded. Clark Hunt claims he wants to build the team through the draft then why the fuck time after time we don't do that with the most important position on the field the quarterback?

This really fucking erks me.

Dayze
10-17-2015, 09:21 PM
IMO Clark ( and most owners) view drafting a QB, particularly an early one, as a sign that the team isn't ready to compete....and thus, may effect ticket sales negatively.

I don't give a fuck if anyone thinks I'm right or wrong, I think this is exactly how Clark looks at it. And, I think this is compounded by the fact that anyone he brings in isn't going to want to hitch his wagon to a newly drafted qb. It's a good ol boys club and everyone is after their money. Development hinders their cash flow

Otter
10-17-2015, 09:25 PM
IMO Clark ( and most owners) view drafting a QB, particularly an early one, as a sign that the team isn't ready to compete....and thus, may effect ticket sales negatively.

I don't give a fuck if anyone thinks I'm right or wrong, I think this is exactly how Clark looks at it. And, I think this is compounded by the fact that anyone he brings in isn't going to want to hitch his wagon to a newly drafted qb. It's a good ol boys club and everyone is after their money. Development hinders their cash flow If there was success since Montana I'd understand that philosophy. The results speak for themselves.

Rasputin
10-17-2015, 09:29 PM

I don't give a fuck if anyone thinks I'm right or wrong, I think this is exactly how Clark looks at it. And, I think this is compounded by the fact that anyone he brings in isn't going to want to hitch his wagon to a newly drafted qb. It's a good ol boys club and everyone is after their money. Development hinders their cash flow

I'd say you are probably right and if true then I believe Clark Hunt is far and disconnect with the fans. I think a high draft pick quarterback would draw in fans that would get excited for the future and know we got something to build around. Fans are going revolt again because we don't have a future quarterback to build a team around for championships and people are tired of the retreads.

GloryDayz
10-17-2015, 09:44 PM
There are plenty of "hell no, no way!!" replies here, some even applying some sane logic, but I think it's totally possible. And, without the franchise explaining why they don't, the logic in the OP is as valid as any dissenter's.

I could connect the dots that so many years of being average to above-average might have put us in fewer opportunities to pick super-awesome QBs, but it doesn't explain why we passed-over QBs when we did.

And I can even connect the dots that you can get a QB in FA. But that was a while ago. When Payton gave them the, "don't call me, I'll call you" treatment, that should tell you a lot. So the Chiefs might be right that you CAN get good QBs in FA, but not the Chiefs.

So I think as long as the Chiefs are silent about why the are so skiddish about QBs (or whatever kept them from drafting them when they could), it's fine to throw it out there.

GloryDayz
10-17-2015, 09:52 PM
I'd say you are probably right and if true then I believe Clark Hunt is far and disconnect with the fans. I think a high draft pick quarterback would draw in fans that would get excited for the future and know we got something to build around. Fans are going revolt again because we don't have a future quarterback to build a team around for championships and people are tired of the retreads.

I'm not sure Clark could be more disconnected from fans. He lives in Dallas, surrounds himself with franchise nut-huggers, and when he's here, as far as I can tell, he pretty-much hides in his exclusive enclave (where only nut-huggers gain admittance). And I'm sure he doesn't have the balls to have a CP account. And if folks he knows do, well their nut-hugger creed/motto is to "keep bad news away from the boss, tell him he's pretty, tell him he's awesome, and tell him next year we'll be awesome."

So yeah, he has no fucking clue how fucked-up his franchise is.

jd1020
10-17-2015, 09:54 PM
Didn't Clark make it very clear that after the Pioli fiasco that both GM and HC report directly to him?

I find it very hard to believe that literally every single fucking FO to come to KC follows the same tired bullshit way of creating a roster without any influence from ownership.

splatbass
10-17-2015, 09:57 PM
I'm not sure Clark could be more disconnected from fans. He lives in Dallas, surrounds himself with franchise nut-huggers, and when he's here, as far as I can tell, he pretty-much hides in his exclusive enclave (where only nut-huggers gain admittance). And I'm sure he doesn't have the balls to have a CP account. And if folks he knows do, well their nut-hugger creed/motto is to "keep bad news away from the boss, tell him he's pretty, tell him he's awesome, and tell him next year we'll be awesome."

So yeah, he has no fucking clue how fucked-up his franchise is.

Most of this is assumptions based on nothing but your personal feelings.

GloryDayz
10-17-2015, 10:32 PM
Most of this is assumptions based on nothing but your personal feelings.

Well we've waited decades for a Hunt family tell-all story about how one NFL franchise, or this one at least, can go 46 years with out making it to the big game and so far it's not forthcoming. Therefore we're all kind of left to our opinions and logic.

Now, do you want to explain how this team seems to always strike-out, or go down looking, when it comes to QBs?

How about 46 years of being SB-less? Do tell!!!

Don't be so much of a Hunt nut-hugger, they're not going to invite you into the Hunt abode in Arrowhead.

Dayze
10-17-2015, 10:38 PM

I Agree. I think there is a small percentage of the fan base that is willing to suffer through the growing pains of a developmental qb. The other percentage thinks a solid run game and elite defense is where it's at. Which is tru, IF you can muster the pieces to field an elite, absolutely elite, defense. Fuck dude, I still have family and friends who think Alex is fucking serviceable. JFC.

And, I shit you not, these are the same people whole just want home game wins and they'll be fat and happy. "We'll get Em next year" etc bullshit. Needless to say, I'm not very popular with my opinion that the Chiefs have sucked ass for decades.

TimBone
10-17-2015, 11:28 PM
Absolutely. But at the same time, the owner can't walk in, demand that a first round qb be taken no matter what. That's bad business as well. Like I mentioned, ideally, am owner makes it known to the GM/HC that drafting a premiere QB is a top priority. If the HC/GM decide against drafting one when he's available, then they better have a reasonable explanation to give to the owner.

HemiEd
10-18-2015, 06:09 AM
Give me a ****ing break.

Nobody knew on draft day who would be 1.1 whether it would be Smith or Rodgers, it was widely speculated that it would and could be either. When Smith was picked, Rodgers fell.

I believe that ownership didn't like the impatience that the Chiefs fans showed with Blackledge and have made it a point to inform each new GM and head coach of it at time of hiring.

HemiEd
10-18-2015, 06:13 AM
Didn't Clark make it very clear that after the Pioli fiasco that both GM and HC report directly to him?

I find it very hard to believe that literally every single ****ing FO to come to KC follows the same tired bullshit way of creating a roster without any influence from ownership.

bingo.

We dare not risk taking a shot at greatness for fear of failing at mediocrity

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-18-2015, 06:40 AM
Absolutely. But at the same time, the owner can't walk in, demand that a first round qb be taken no matter what. That's bad business as well. Like I mentioned, ideally, am owner makes it known to the GM/HC that drafting a premiere QB is a top priority. If the HC/GM decide against drafting one when he's available, then they better have a reasonable explanation to give to the owner.

The fuck you say?...

rabblerouser
10-18-2015, 06:43 AM
Bridgewater should have been the pick

Derek Carr is a better QB than Bridgewater.

Time will show this.

rabblerouser
10-18-2015, 06:44 AM
The **** you say?...

No shit - Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder do that shit all the time lol

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-18-2015, 06:59 AM
Derek Carr is a better QB than Bridgewater.

Time will show this.

I don't know much about Flowbee, but Carr and the Raiders are slowly on the way up.

Eleazar
10-18-2015, 07:04 AM
This is the stupidest CP conspiracy theory there is.

rabblerouser
10-18-2015, 07:42 AM
I don't know much about Flowbee, but Carr and the Raiders are slowly on the way up.

Next Thing, they'll hire Haley and rape us twice a year.

Why??

Because Chiefs.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
10-18-2015, 07:56 AM

Occam's razor.

oldman
10-18-2015, 08:27 AM
I frankly find that whole "don't take a 1st round QB" thing a joke. The Hunt's hire what they think are the best people to run the team and let them do their jobs. Unfortunately, we've passed on some great QBs, but I maintain we also saved ourselves from a lot of failure. Until the rookie salary cap came to be, you could get hamstringed for several years. I believe that's the real reason we haven't gone with a QB.
As for the Hunt's being absentee owners, I'd point out the sports team across the lot from Arrowhead has an owner that lives in Arkansas. We heard the same BS about him until he opened up the purse strings.

Reerun_KC
10-18-2015, 08:28 AM
Yeah.... Not even close.....

Eleazar
10-18-2015, 08:35 AM
Yeah.... Not even close.....

Clark knows that you must draft a first round QB to win a super bowl, but he is obsessed only with money, so he doesn't want to win a super bowl. He wants to go 8-8. Because he makes more money when the team is 8-8 than if they win a super bowl.

He tells his GMs and head coaches that they may not ever draft a QB. GMs and head coaches willingly work under such conditions. Even joyfully do they work under such conditions - where the absolute proven super bowl recipe - is barred from them, because they are only about the money.

Andy Ried for example does not care about winning the Super Bowl, because he too wants to make sure he stays through his contract. Andy knows that he makes the most money if he's an 8-8 coach who survives his contract, not a Super bowl winning coach. He doesn't care because he's all about da money.

oldman
10-18-2015, 08:51 AM
I hope you were jesting, Cochise. I don't think Clark tells his people anything remotely like that. Andy would be much more likely to make a lot more money at the end of his tenure in KC if he had a SB ring rather being a career 8-8 coach.

Baby Lee
10-18-2015, 08:54 AM
I hope you were jesting, Cochise. I don't think Clark tells his people anything remotely like that. Andy would be much more likely to make a lot more money at the end of his tenure in KC if he had a SB ring rather being a career 8-8 coach.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/satire

splatbass
10-18-2015, 08:55 AM
No shit - Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder do that shit all the time lol

And the Redskins perpetually suck, and the Cowboys are mediocre most of the time. So what is your point? That Clark should emulate them?

chiefzilla1501
10-18-2015, 09:03 AM
Herm wanted to start Croyle. Carl forced Huard down his throat.

Haley wanted Hasselbeck and kaepernick and was dead set against cassel. Hell, weis wanted Clausen.

For Carl and pioli, they overrode their coach out of arrogance. Sadly, it seems like right now the coach and GM are on the same page. Hunt should push for a QB change. But the problems are because hunt doesn't do enough not because he's forcing the gms to do anything.

HemiEd
10-18-2015, 09:07 AM
I hope you were jesting, Cochise. I don't think Clark tells his people anything remotely like that. Andy would be much more likely to make a lot more money at the end of his tenure in KC if he had a SB ring rather being a career 8-8 coach.He is trying to make the notion that the ownership has actually influenced the consistent direction of this team for the 55 years of it's existence sound as ridiculous as he can.

Consequences for making a failed decision and gamble totally against team history and tradition can be implied at time of hiring.

splatbass
10-18-2015, 09:21 AM
He is trying to make the notion that the ownership has actually influenced the consistent direction of this team for the 55 years of it's existence sound as ridiculous as he can.

It is ridiculous. He doesn't have to try to make it that way.

If you look around the NFL you will find that the way the Chiefs have done it is more the norm than the way you think they should do it. The truth is that most GMs and HCs will not blow a decent team up and start over, they will try to make the changes to build on what they have instead. Most GMs and coaches are conservative.

And the ones that are more aggressive, and willing to continually blow the team up to try to get that franchise QB? We call them the Browns, Raiders and Redskins.

The bottom line: it is not a conspiracy by the Hunts, it is just business as usual in the NFL.

HemiEd
10-18-2015, 09:29 AM
It might go down like this:
Lamar/Clark-"We have a proud tradition here in KC of winning and being competitive thus keeping the fans interest.

Please tell me Scott/Andy/etc. how you feel we can field a competitive team the quickest? Would that be with an unproven rookie QB or would that be with an experienced battle tested veteran that we know can be competitive?"

Scott/Andy/etc. - Um gee, um well of course that would be with a battle tested veteran Clark, of course.

RunKC
10-18-2015, 09:32 AM
And if they don't draft a QB early next year? What will the excuse be then?

notorious
10-18-2015, 09:34 AM

Too risky.

Team is ready to win now.

Need offensive line help.

etc.

Baby Lee
10-18-2015, 09:36 AM

Only excuse left is 'wasn't best player on the board.'

HemiEd
10-18-2015, 09:38 AM
The bottom line: it is not a conspiracy by the Hunts, it is just business as usual in the NFL.
I don't see why it is being referred to as a conspiracy. They own the team and it is a business, end of story.

The fact that Chiefs ownership is well educated and practices good leadership skills, unlike some of the other owners, has nothing to do with the fact that they have every right to make their wishes known in a proper manner to their employees behind closed doors.

You are right, when a new regime begins, the timing would be to blow things up at the beginning. Herm came the closest to doing that, but he still didn't take a QB in the first round. Odd? Coincidence?

I have a bridge over the San Francisco bay I would like to sell.

oldman
10-18-2015, 09:45 AM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/satire

With this crowd, you can never be too sure.

While I agree we need an upgrade at QB, let's find out what we have in-house before we start lighting torches to head to #1 Arrowhead. Murray was widely considered a 1st rounder until he tore his ACL. The SECs all-time leading passer sounds like a guy I'd like to bring in for a look. Big deal that he's a 5th rounder. Need I remind some of you Tom Brady's selection round?

RunKC
10-18-2015, 09:49 AM
I don't see why it is being referred to as a conspiracy. They own the team and it is a business, end of story.

The fact that Chiefs ownership is well educated and practices good leadership skills, unlike some of the other owners, has nothing to do with the fact that they have every right to make their wishes known in a proper manner to their employees behind closed doors.

You are right, when a new regime begins, the timing would be to blow things up at the beginning. Herm came the closest to doing that, but he still didn't take a QB in the first round. Odd? Coincidence?

I have a bridge over the San Francisco bay I would like to sell.

Apparently he wanted Matt Ryan

HemiEd
10-18-2015, 10:04 AM
Need I remind some of you Tom Brady's selection round?

ROFL Matt Cassel!/Pioli

HemiEd
10-18-2015, 10:09 AM
Apparently he wanted Matt Ryan

Yep, if only he had gotten his wish! Instead, Brodie was given just a few games with a broken down LJ for his running back.

rabblerouser
10-18-2015, 10:09 AM

If he were capable of winning a SB, it would have been when he went to 4 straight NFC Championship games in Philly.

HemiEd
10-18-2015, 02:14 PM
To have failed to try is much worse than having tried and failed.

BigChiefFan
10-18-2015, 02:26 PM
With this crowd, you can never be too sure.

While I agree we need an upgrade at QB, let's find out what we have in-house before we start lighting torches to head to #1 Arrowhead. Murray was widely considered a 1st rounder until he tore his ACL. The SECs all-time leading passer sounds like a guy I'd like to bring in for a look. Big deal that he's a 5th rounder. Need I remind some of you Tom Brady's selection round?

Murray is a third stringer to Alex Smith, that's all you need to know about him. He's dog shit.

BigChiefFan
10-18-2015, 02:29 PM

I'll be done at that point. There's no excuse in the world to continue to ignore the QB position. 30 plus years of ignoring the position is insanity. My patience is over with these morons.

RealSNR
10-18-2015, 03:22 PM
Only excuse left is 'wasn't best player on the board.'

QBs are rarely EVER the best players on the board if you approach the position as, "The top QB available has a higher chance of busting than the top ______ available."

That's how you end up with worthless fucks like Dee Ford.

Baby Lee
10-18-2015, 03:35 PM
QBs are rarely EVER the best players on the board if you approach the position as, "The top QB available has a higher chance of busting than the top ______ available."

That's how you end up with worthless fucks like Dee Ford.

I'm just reporting reality. Not a lot of excuses left, but the one sitting there is a doozy.

keg in kc
10-18-2015, 03:41 PM
I think Lamar did. But I think the most recent bad QB trades were gm and head coach decisions. Although I also think all major moves require Clark's okay, and he's probably not at all opposed to the conservative approach.

keg in kc
10-18-2015, 03:46 PM
Murray is a third stringer to Alex Smith, that's all you need to know about him. He's dog shit.Or he's a second year player who spent year one in recovery and is entrenched behind a veteran backup with a massive contract and a starter with an even more massive contract on a franchise who doesn't traditionally give rookies or young players at key positions much of an opportunity unless dictated by injury or suspension.

DaneMcCloud
10-18-2015, 04:26 PM
Murray is a third stringer to Alex Smith, that's all you need to know about him. He's dog shit.

11-5
9-7
1-5

Why would you trust any decision that's made by the captain of the Titanic?

RealSNR
10-18-2015, 04:35 PM
That's why I was so furious about not starting Stanzi in 2011 and 2012. I didn't care if he actually was the worst QB on the roster. When your team sucks and you're playing for next year, and you've got ANY kind of young QB on your team, you start him until he implodes. Then you move on.

THAT'S the real kind of player development we need to see out of this team when it comes to the QB position. Everybody said in 2013 what a great job Reid and Dorsey had done with the QBs because they got their veteran starter and also brought in a developmental guy with a real arm (Bray).

Those developmental moves do you no good if they never fucking see the field beyond their usual scout team bullshit.

GloryDayz
10-18-2015, 05:23 PM
Welp, minimally, today's game certainly reflected ownership's values.