PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chase Daniel isn’t the answer for everything that’s killing the Kansas City Chiefs.

oaklandhater
10-19-2015, 12:14 PM
http://www.scout.com/nfl/chiefs/story/1600824-qb-change-not-enough-to-fix-chiefs-woes

Fans want to see heads roll after a 1-5 start, starting with Alex Smith. But does Kansas City Chiefs Head Coach Andy Reid have the stones to pull the trigger?

First off, if you’re expecting something radical, immediately, don’t hold your breath. It took nine circles of Hell knocking on the door in 2012, lawsuits a mountain of scar tissue, paper bags, airplanes and tragedy for Clark Hunt and family to finally blow up the Scott Pioli Era and start clean.
The 2015 Kansas City Chiefs aren’t there. Yet.
Of course, after a fifth straight defeat — this one a 16-10 slog at Minnesota on Sunday — they’re inching closer to the kind of awful nobody expected to see anytime, certainly not anytime soon, as long as Andy Reid was on the headsets and John Dorsey was buying the groceries.
But 1-5 is 1-5. And here we are.
So: What’s next?
Start backup Chase Daniel against the Steelers at home? The former Mizzou star has done everything asked of him in a Chiefs uniform — which, granted, hasn’t been much — but he’s also in a contract year with a contract that doesn’t seem earmarked for a return engagement.
If football was Madden, you’d throw quarterback Aaron Murray to the wolves and see what happens. Just because.
But this isn’t Madden. It’s reality. And the reality is that, in an untrusting game, a untrusting business, the Chiefs lead the league in at least one other intangible right now besides crushing disappointment: Loyalty.
And they’re paying for it.
They can’t really run the ball (18 totes, 57 yards) without Charles. They couldn’t really block with him. Each week, the defense looks great for three quarters at a time, while the offense only looks functional for one.
That’s not how you become a purported Super Bowl contender. It’s how you become the Oakland Raiders.
To paraphrase the late Yogi Berra, 90 percent of every NFL battle is half mental. Committing eight penalties for 95 yards on the road, as the Chiefs did at TCF Bank Stadium, is bound to get you beat 90 percent of the time. With 13:30 to go in the first half, Smith had thrown for a grand total of just one yard while his offensive line had been whistled for three holding calls.
For the third time in four weeks, and for the third straight away tilt, Reid’s men looked outcoached and underprepared for the first two-and-a-half quarters of the matchup.
That’s on Andy.
And Andy’s staff.
And Dorsey, who brought the pieces for the chess board.
And Alex Smith, who has to try to maneuver them without getting his brains beat in.
The only thing all of them have done consistently since mid-September is let down the other parties involved, invalidate all that faith.
It’s as if the 2015 Chiefs were put on this Earth to torture people. Mainly, their fans.
Those same fans have turned their collective backs on Smith, the way they turned their backs on Matt Cassel nearly four years earlier. A nice guy who couldn’t win games by the sheer force of his arm and/or will or hang on to the ball has been replaced by a nice, smart guy who can hang on to the ball but also can’t win games by the sheer force of his arm and/or will. Adversity sifts the elite signal-callers from everybody else, and the more things around No. 11 fall apart, the more wanting his skill set appears.
To put it another way, Smith looks dynamic as a lead man when he’s gt the Foo Fighters backing him up. Replace Dave Grohl and the gang with Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem, though, and the locals treat big Alex like just another Muppet.
Maybe Daniel can squeeze more blood from this stone, but you wonder. Dumb mistakes and brain cramps are becoming frequent, more damning, and nothing wears away at a team’s psyche the way losing does — be it losing games or losing star players (Charles for the season; wideout Jeremy Maclin for the game with a fourth-quarter concussion). The only thing worse than a 1-5 locker room is a 2-9 locker room, when egos and agendas start crossing off the calendar days until 2016.
Even when fate smiles on Reid right now, it’s as if his roster doesn’t know how to get out of its own way. With 4:38 left in the contest, the visitors down 16-10 but having just completed a 37-yard dart to tight end Travis Kelce, Chiefs tailback Charcandrick West — one of the understudies carrying the flag for Charles — fumbled the ball away at the Minnesota 38. Upon replay review, the rock appeared to have been accidentally jarred loose by a teammate rather than a Vikings defender.
Three circles down. Six to go.

The Franchise
10-19-2015, 12:16 PM
Put Murray in and find out if we need to wipe the QB slate clean once again.

Prison Bitch
10-19-2015, 12:19 PM
Wait - he's not?

oaklandhater
10-19-2015, 12:22 PM
Put Murray in and find out if we need to wipe the QB slate clean once again.

We didn't do it with Stanzi we wont do it with Murray either :(

kepp
10-19-2015, 12:23 PM
What do you do when the QB and the OL have equal parts of the blame? If they think that's the case, then don't throw Murray in and kill his confidence. Use Daniel until the OL can be upgraded. We aren't going to win with any of our QBs this year.

Fire Me Boy!
10-19-2015, 12:25 PM
To put it another way, [Alex] Smith looks dynamic as a lead man when he’s got the Foo Fighters backing him up. Replace Dave Grohl and the gang with Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem, though, and the locals treat big Alex like just another Muppet.

ROFL

Back in my movie-reviewing days, I'd occasionally get bets from friends that I couldn't fit certain phrases into my review. This feels like a friend said, "Hey, I'll bet you can't work calling Alex Smith a Muppet into this week's article."

The Franchise
10-19-2015, 12:26 PM
What do you do when the QB and the OL have equal parts of the blame? If they think that's the case, then don't throw Murray in and kill his confidence. Use Daniel until the OL can be upgraded. We aren't going to win with any of our QBs this year.

All that gets you is the mantra of "let's wait and see what we have from Murray....we don't need to draft a QB".

He played 4 years in the SEC and he's not a rookie. Putting him in isn't going to kill his confidence....and if it does....then he's not the guy we need behind center.

Reerun_KC
10-19-2015, 12:27 PM
Regardless, Reid isn't going to pull Smith for anyone. That is his handpicked QB to run in junk offense. You don't give 2 draft picks and extend the QB, then bench him 1 1/2 year later.

Benching Smith means Reid failed at his job.

RealSNR
10-19-2015, 12:27 PM
Alex didn't look this bad in 2014 when he had a worse offensive line and fewer receiving options.

He's failing to accomplish even the basic tenets of the Game Manager's Manifesto each game.

And that's why he has to go. A sudden regression like this is NOT good.

The losses are one thing if he looked competent in those losses. He doesn't. He's one-reading over half of his dropbacks. When he has time or buys time, he doesn't see dudes who are wide open beyond 10 yards down the field. And this year he's got Cassel-like accuracy on his checkdowns and bubble screens.

Andy HAS to see this in Alex.

Reerun_KC
10-19-2015, 12:28 PM
All that gets you is the mantra of "let's wait and see what we have from Murray....we don't need to draft a QB".

He played 4 years in the SEC and he's not a rookie. Putting him in isn't going to kill his confidence....and if it does....then he's not the guy we need behind center.:clap:

Fire Me Boy!
Regardless, Reid isn't going to pull Smith for anyone. That is his handpicked QB to run in junk offense. You don't give 2 draft picks and extend the QB, then bench him 1 1/2 year later.

Benching Smith means Reid failed at his job.

1-5 kinda means that, too.

ptlyon
Alex Smith gives us the best chance of winning. Winning the draft lottery.

FloridaMan88
10-19-2015, 12:29 PM
Who is saying that Chase Daniel is the answer?

The Chiefs should start Aaron Murray and see if he is a legit QBOTF prospect.

We know that Chase Daniel is not. He is a nice back-up QB, but nothing more.

RealSNR
10-19-2015, 12:30 PM

The line really isn't as bad as people think it is.

Aaron Murray will get sacked, but he'll get sacked behind ANY offensive line

Red Dawg
10-19-2015, 12:32 PM
As long as Alex gets paid the money he's getting he will start this year and next year. The only way out is to cut him and just pay him dead money.

His salary to Clark is pocket change but no way in hell do they do anything but keep rolling his sorry butt out there. The only hope for next year is if Dorsey can convince Clark to get rid of him and just eat the cash because the fans are done.

Reerun_KC
10-19-2015, 12:32 PM
1-5 kinda means that, too.

In the eye fans its does... But to Dorsey and Hunt? We really don't know. So for Reid to pull Smith and bench the QB he wanted and he wanted extended. That really puts Reid and the franchise in a bad spot.

chiefscafan
10-19-2015, 12:34 PM
So we get one of the top picks in next year's draft, what makes you guys so sure we take a QB.

I can already see them say Alex is signed for another year and we already have Muarry and bray too. What the problem is Alex doesn't have enough time to throw we need to draft an OT.

I'm hoping to god this doesn't happen but I can see this as a distinct possibility

The Franchise
10-19-2015, 12:38 PM
At 1-5.....we are done. Changes should start taking place.

1. Fire Andy Heck. There is ZERO reason that this offensive line should look this bad after year 3.

2. Bench Smith, start Murray. I don't want to hear shit about confidence.

3. Fisher moves to LT and Allen starts at RT. Put Fanaika in at RG. You signed that piece of shit to a contract this offseason. He literally can't be any worse than Fulton at this point. And if he is....who gives a shit.

4. Bench Hali and start Ford. Once again....can't be any fucking worse at this point.

kcfanXIII
10-19-2015, 12:40 PM
I don't think Chase is the answer, but I believe his skill set fits better with the other members of this offense. He can move better and roll with the pocket while looking down field. We can all agree too much is getting through the Oline, but I feel like everyone else in the league seems to be able to mitigate their weaknesses on their lines.

KCUnited
10-19-2015, 12:42 PM
We also have to be prepared to lose Childress to another coaching opportunity. /no one

KC_Lee
10-19-2015, 12:43 PM
So we get one of the top picks in next year's draft, what makes you guys so sure we take a QB.

I can already see them say Alex is signed for another year and we already have Muarry and bray too. What the problem is Alex doesn't have enough time to throw we need to draft an OT.

I'm hoping to god this doesn't happen but I can see this as a distinct possibility

Or the short list of QBs KC will trade for;

- Kappernick
- RGIII
- Mettenburger

I fear that one of those three will be on the team next year via a trade where we give up at least a 3rd round pick if not more.

RealSNR
10-19-2015, 12:45 PM
At 1-5.....we are done. Changes should start taking place.

1. Fire Andy Heck. There is ZERO reason that this offensive line should look this bad after year 3.

2. Bench Smith, start Murray. I don't want to hear shit about confidence.

3. Fisher moves to LT and Allen starts at RT. Put Fanaika in at RG. You signed that piece of shit to a contract this offseason. He literally can't be any worse than Fulton at this point. And if he is....who gives a shit.

4. Bench Hali and start Ford. Once again....can't be any fucking worse at this point.
Fanaika's on injured reserve

Sandy Vagina
10-19-2015, 12:46 PM

- Kappernick
- RGIII
- Mettenburger

I fear that one of those three will be on the team next year via a trade where we give up at least a 3rd round pick if not more.

Oh, I liked Mettenberger. Chiefs for life!

Fire Me Boy!
10-19-2015, 12:46 PM

- Kappernick
- RGIII
- Mettenburger

I would hate every second of it, but would laugh hysterically if we said Kaepernick to start in front of Alex. LMAO

Mr_Tomahawk
10-19-2015, 12:47 PM

- Kappernick
- RGIII
- Mettenburger

I'd take Mettenburger.

The Franchise
10-19-2015, 12:49 PM
Fanaika's on injured reserve

Oh yeah....shit. Ummm....put LDT back in there then. At least he flashed some potential. Fulton just looks like shit.

KC_Lee
10-19-2015, 12:54 PM
Oh, I liked Mettenberger. Chiefs for life!

I'd take Mettenburger.

Brodie Croyle 2.0. Cannon for an arm but not much else. Hell, he's win less in all his starts just like Brokie!!!

Seriously guys, we need to stay away from this path again. No more getting other team's scraps.

ARROW2
10-19-2015, 12:55 PM

Benching Smith means Reid failed at his job.WHAT?!

SO WHAT!!!! Is he succeeding right now? I don't give a fuck if he gave up his first born for this no talent scrub. Newsflash, HE IS FAILINNG AT HIS JOB RIGHT NOW WITH SMIFF!!!!

Mr_Tomahawk
10-19-2015, 12:56 PM
Brodie Croyle 2.0. Cannon for an arm but not much else. Hell, he's win less in all his starts just like Brokie!!!

Seriously guys, we need to stay away from this path again. No more getting other team's scraps.

I was just picking from your list, if I had to...

ARROW2
10-19-2015, 12:57 PM
In the eye fans its does... But to Dorsey and Hunt? We really don't know. So for Reid to pull Smith and bench the QB he wanted and he wanted extended. That really puts Reid and the franchise in a bad spot.

Are they in a good spot now? Is sticking with Smiff going to improve that spot? I hate reasoning like this. Be a fucking MAN instead of a fat ass Walrus and admit your mistake and move the fuck on.

KC_Lee
10-19-2015, 01:04 PM
I was just picking from your list, if I had to...

That list is like picking whether you want a plate of cat poop, dog poop, or raw sewage. No matter what you pick it's still a pile of crap.

Bob Dole
10-19-2015, 01:11 PM
They should start Murray just to see if they need to draft 2 QBs next year, or 3.

MotherfuckerJones
10-19-2015, 01:15 PM
He's not the answer but he can do what Alex is doing right now for a fraction of the cost. Good business is what it is. Time to move on.

chiefzilla1501
10-19-2015, 02:18 PM

He played 4 years in the SEC and he's not a rookie. Putting him in isn't going to kill his confidence....and if it does....then he's not the guy we need behind center.

If Murray looks like he did in the preseason, he's not ready. His footwork was a complete mess. He played in the sec but Georgia seems to coach some really awful habits to their qbs. We are kind of stuck in a shitty place right now because chase isn't a long term answer and Murray isn't ready.

The Franchise
10-19-2015, 02:19 PM
If Murray looks like he did in the preseason, he's not ready. His footwork was a complete mess. He played in the sec but Georgia seems to coach some really awful habits to their qbs. We are kind of stuck in a shitty place right now because chase isn't a long term answer and Murray isn't ready.

Then how are we stuck in a shitty place?

If Smith = shit and Murry/Daniel aren't ready.....then that means that you draft a QB next year. This team is shitty enough to get a top 5 pick and good number of the shitty teams won't be taking a QB. We're in the perfect situation to take a QB in the 1st round.

chiefzilla1501
10-19-2015, 02:24 PM
Then how are we stuck in a shitty place?

If Smith = shit and Murry/Daniel aren't ready.....then that means that you draft a QB next year. This team is shitty enough to get a top 5 pick and good number of the shitty teams won't be taking a QB. We're in the perfect situation to take a QB in the 1st round.

I would rather we learn something from the QB we're trying out. So for me, Daniel shouldn't even be in the picture. I'd like to see Murray out there. But I don't think he's ready and hope that's not a career limiting decision.

Saccopoo
10-19-2015, 02:38 PM
I would rather we learn something from the QB we're trying out. So for me, Daniel shouldn't even be in the picture. I'd like to see Murray out there. But I don't think he's ready and hope that's not a career limiting decision.

If he's not ready by year two in the system as well as after four years of starting in the SEC then he's never going to be ready. He's past the stage of having to be coddled.

They should find out if he can play or not. Right now.

The Franchise
10-19-2015, 02:39 PM
If he's not ready by year two in the system as well as after four years of starting in the SEC then he's never going to be ready. He's past the stage of having to be coddled.

This.

FloridaMan88
10-19-2015, 03:05 PM

Agreed.

Start getting Murray ready to start now with first team reps in practice and target after the bye week to get his first start.

There is nothing to lose at this point... either he is terrible and helps the Chiefs lock up a #1 overall pick, or he plays well and proves to be a legit QBOTF prospect.

chiefzilla1501
10-19-2015, 03:08 PM

I don't mind them playing him. I completely disagree on everything else. Murray's problem is footwork which is coachable, but if it's off, game reps isn't going to fix it. And Murray is a true pocket passer so he needs a good OL we don't have. I'd love to see Murray get reps but I hope not as an evaluation period because I don't see him doing well if he's thrown to the wolves, and I don't think that should have much bearing on his future potential.

jspchief
10-19-2015, 04:10 PM
Here's my plan of action if I'm Hunt.

1. Tell Reid to relinquish playcalling duties to the OC of his choice.

2. Murray starts getting all 2nd string snaps immediately.

3. Tell Reid that all coaching efforts are geared towards starting Murray the week after the bye. Reid gets the Monday after the bye to make his presentation on why Murray shouldn't start, but make him aware that ownership is biased towards seeing him play. It's going to be a hard sell to keep Murray off the field.

4. Inform John Dorsey that competition at the QB spot is priority #1 in 2016. Daniel is out. Murray is gone if he hasn't played his way into the conversation as a legit starter. Alex Smith at best is a placeholder while a rookie gets a year of coaching, at worst is backup to Murray for a year before he's cut.

5. Tell Bob Sutton that I want noticeable change in the defensive play. Whether it's QB pressure or turnovers. The defense has to start playing with fire and punishing opponents with every single tackle. Any player not playing up to expectations begins losing snaps to younger players

bevischief
10-19-2015, 04:15 PM
Nuke from orbit its the only way to be sure.

mcaj22
10-19-2015, 04:16 PM

3. Tell Reid that all coaching efforts are geared towards starting Murray the week after the bye. Reid gets the Monday after the bye to make his presentation on why Murray shouldn't start, but make him aware that ownership is biased towards seeing him play. It's going to be a hard sell to keep Murray off the field.

4. Inform John Dorsey that competition at the QB spot is priority #1 in 2016. Daniel is out. Murray is gone if he hasn't played his way into the conversation as a legit starter. Alex Smith at best is a placeholder while a rookie gets a year of coaching, at worst is backup to Murray for a year before he's cut.

5. Tell Bob Sutton that I want noticeable change in the defensive play. Whether it's QB pressure or turnovers. The defense has to start playing with fire and punishing opponents with every single tackle. Any player not playing up to expectations begins losing snaps to younger players

or he could take the easier route, fire them all, cut Smith, eat the money for a year, and don't resign any upcoming FAs from this pile of crap roster.

start the rebuild over and let the veterans go, the window is closed after two shit garbage coaching regimes that ruined up to 7 years of players prime years for most of the Chiefs homegrown talent.

jspchief
10-19-2015, 04:23 PM
or he could take the easier route, fire them all, cut Smith, eat the money for a year, and don't resign any upcoming FAs from this pile of crap roster.

start the rebuild over and let the veterans go, the window is closed after two shit garbage coaching regimes that ruined up to 7 years of players prime years for most of the Chiefs homegrown talent.
Not going to happen. Hunt might be willing to tank the rest of an already lost season, but he's not going to burn it all down for a 3 year rebuild.

Bugeater
10-19-2015, 04:26 PM

Here's Clark's actual plan of action:

1. Bang Tavia

2. Count money

3. Ignore Chiefs while watching a soccer game

Easy 6
10-19-2015, 04:38 PM

10 of 10