PDA

View Full Version : Life Eyeglasses and AR coatings

10-22-2015, 03:47 PM
How many of you lens wearers get the anti reflective coatings? I just got a new pair and had AR put on it for the first time. I'm finding them to be a complete pain in the ass to clean. Whenever I clean them I just get nothing but smearing. I'm tempted to send them back and have them redone with no coating at all.

Am I doing something wrong or is this normal for anti reflective coatings?

The other thing I keep hearing is that AR requires a liquid for cleaning rather than dry cleaning them like I usually do. This smearing is even worse when I use a lens cleaner solution from the eye doctors office.

Kaepernick
10-22-2015, 04:08 PM
Two part answer.

Part 1 - I always used the uber expensive LensCrafters fluid and never had a significant smearing issue with it. Very minor to not at all. As lens cleaning towels have changed, I have minimal smearing from time to time. No smearing at all to my AR lenses with the LensCrafters moist towlettes.

Part 2 - about 2 years ago the AR coatings on my 3 pairs of glasses all started to bubble up and peel at the edges. They look horrible around the edges. They are old as my eyesight has not changed in years. Are they peeling just due to age? Are they peeling because Lenscrafters changed their fluid formula. I dont know.

I will say the material used for cleaning cloths matters greatly. 20 years ago I got these amazing glass cleaning cloths that never streaked anything, they were so absorbent. Since all glass cleaning cloths I have bought recently streak to some extent, I use the super cloths for a final streak free finish wipe and buff. I had 20 of these and I am down to my last 3 after losing most of them and I guard them with my life. I would kill to identify what material these cloths are made of.

Bob Dole
10-22-2015, 04:11 PM
Bob Dole always washes his in dishwater before washing the dishes.

Rain Man
10-22-2015, 04:20 PM
Interesting topic. I just paid a small fortune a few months ago to replace my lenses and get some with AR and anti-scratch coatings.

I'm very confused about these things. I recalled having a bad experience with AR coatings several years ago where they would scratch easily, so I always turned it down. I've got a couple of pairs of older glasses from LensCrafters that I use for running, and they're like transparent steel. Easy to clean and haven't gotten scratched from years of use. I was thinking that they had anti-scratch but not anti-reflection.

I bought a new dressy pair from a small boutique place a couple of years ago, and they only sold AR and anti-scratch as a package. I said no, and it was the wrong decision. They lasted maybe two years and the lenses were getting scratched up. Also, it seemed like they were really hard to clean, always smearing up. I eventually got a huge scratch right across the middle, and went back to the store. I ended up getting new lenses with the package to my trepidation, but I apparently need the anti-scratch.

I've had the new lenses for a few months now, and no scratches yet, but they're still very hard to clean and I can't figure it out. My LensCrafter glasses are great if I just rinse them and wipe the water off, but with these newer glasses I have to really baby the lenses or they're just cloudy with smears. I really can't figure out what's different.

10-22-2015, 04:23 PM
Interesting topic. I just paid a small fortune a few months ago to replace my lenses and get some with AR and anti-scratch coatings.

I'm very confused about these things. I recalled having a bad experience with AR coatings several years ago where they would scratch easily, so I always turned it down. I've got a couple of pairs of older glasses from LensCrafters that I use for running, and they're like transparent steel. Easy to clean and haven't gotten scratched from years of use. I was thinking that they had anti-scratch but not anti-reflection.

I bought a new dressy pair from a small boutique place a couple of years ago, and they only sold AR and anti-scratch as a package. I said no, and it was the wrong decision. They lasted maybe two years and the lenses were getting scratched up. Also, it seemed like they were really hard to clean, always smearing up. I eventually got a huge scratch right across the middle, and went back to the store. I ended up getting new lenses with the package to my trepidation, but I apparently need the anti-scratch.

I've had the new lenses for a few months now, and no scratches yet, but they're still very hard to clean and I can't figure it out. My LensCrafter glasses are great if I just rinse them and wipe the water off, but with these newer glasses I have to really baby the lenses or they're just cloudy with smears. I really can't figure out what's different. that is the EXACT problem I am having.

Fish
10-22-2015, 04:28 PM
The coating really sucks. Get the glasses with the anti-reflective layer inside the glass. Went for that with my last glasses, and it's freakin awesome. No issues with fogging up, and the coating doesn't chip off over time.

Rain Man
10-22-2015, 04:33 PM
that is the EXACT problem I am having.

The coating really sucks. Get the glasses with the anti-reflective layer inside the glass. Went for that with my last glasses, and it's freakin awesome. No issues with fogging up, and the coating doesn't chip off over time.

It really disturbs me. I can't figure out if this small boutique is doing the coating differently or if something fundamental has changed. Whatever LensCrafters does is the way to go, but I don't know what it is, and my boutique place isn't doing it.

10-22-2015, 04:40 PM
while I like what the AR accomplishes, I'm slightly anal about keeping my lens clean, and this smearing is really annoying. With regular lenses I just wipe them with a dry microfiber cloth and I'm on my way. With AR I scrub and scrub and the film never disappears.

Molitoth
10-22-2015, 05:21 PM
It's a trade off.

Anti Reflection = Harder to clean

Completely normal experience.

Rain Man
10-22-2015, 05:35 PM
It's a trade off.

Anti Reflection = Harder to clean

Completely normal experience.

I didn't mind the reflection. It kept the CIA from reading my mind through my eyes. But the eyeglass place wouldn't let me have anti-scratch unless I also took anti-reflection. I'm pretty sure that's being done now because of the CIA.

JD10367
10-22-2015, 05:45 PM
The AR coating is definitely a pain in the ass to clean. Even the tiniest bit of leftover skin oil will smudge; I use Lenscrafters lens cleaning fluid and Kimwipes, and I still have to clean them three times because every time I get near the nose pads I pick up the tiniest bit of something and smear it all over.

However, it's worth the pain in the ass because, without the AR coatings, trying to drive at night is a fucking nightmare due to headlights and streetlights having more flare than a J.J. Abrams movie.

splatbass
10-22-2015, 07:59 PM
I have it on mine and have never had a problem. I use microfiber cloths or just my T-shirt.

cdcox
10-22-2015, 08:32 PM
I had this problem. Use a white tee shirt or other undergarment to dry them. Works great with no smears.

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-22-2015, 08:33 PM
I've told you guys before, just PM me your address and I will send you some stuff to wipe your glasses with. No charge.

Strongside
10-22-2015, 08:37 PM
I got microscopic bubbles in mine. Fuck those things.

Buzz
10-22-2015, 08:51 PM
Bought cheaters a year ago, cant see crap up close. Cheap Bifocals get me buy but the transition from looking top to bottom is crap. The top is crap, I can read the fine print, does this change with better glasses?

Rain Man
10-22-2015, 09:10 PM
Bought cheaters a year ago, cant see crap up close. Cheap Bifocals get me buy but the transition from looking top to bottom is crap. The top is crap, I can read the fine print, does this change with better glasses?

I need bifocals, but I got them a few years back and they drove me crazy. I may not have given myself enough time to adjust, but I sure need them. I'm always taking my glasses off for various things. I had those graduated bifocals instead of the ones with lines, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

synthesis2
10-22-2015, 09:26 PM
This is the industry that I have been in for the last 17 years so I know quite a bit about AR on lenses.

AR is great if you get a REALLY GOOD AR meaning inside the lens and high quality. They typically don't smudge or scratch at all.

CHEAP AR is absolute garbage and you might as well go ahead and not get it at all.

So this is truly a go top of the line or don't get it at all.

I'm a rep so I go to private offices as well as retail. Stay away from retail joints like lenscrafters, America's Best Etc. Find a good private practice that has high end stuff.

If you treat them good they should last years and the extra $$ you spend will go much further.

If you just want basic without AR it really does not matter where you go ( just don't go to America's Best (worst) )

Hope this helps.

Squalor2
10-22-2015, 09:50 PM
This is the industry that I have been in for the last 17 years so I know quite a bit about AR on lenses.

AR is great if you get a REALLY GOOD AR meaning inside the lens and high quality. They typically don't smudge or scratch at all.

CHEAP AR is absolute garbage and you might as well go ahead and not get it at all.

I'm a rep so I go to private offices as well as retail. Stay away from retail joints like lenscrafters, America's Best Etc. Find a good private practice that has high end stuff.

If you treat them good they should last years and the extra $$ you spend will go much further.

If you just want basic without AR it really does not matter where you go ( just don't go to America's Best (worst) )

Hope this helps.

you are correct. the best pair ive seen had the coating inside the lens layers.

Rain Man
10-22-2015, 10:00 PM
I didn't know there were options. I was just told that I was getting the AR. But I bet mine's just the coating given my cleaning challenges.

10-22-2015, 10:16 PM

Hope this helps.Thanks. I'll just go the super cheap route then and get them from zennioptical without the AR. My vision isn't so bad that I feel a need to spend $400 for glasses.

Squalor2
10-22-2015, 11:31 PM
Thanks. I'll just go the super cheap route then and get them from zennioptical without the AR. My vision isn't so bad that I feel a need to spend $400 for glasses.

i can see that.

10-22-2015, 11:50 PM
i can see that.

:) I know you can. LMAO

I purchased the first pair from Walmart at the low end for $180 and just fucking hated them. Not comfortable and the viewing corridor was crap even though I paid for the wider corridor. I went to my eye doctor and they were trying to sell me a pair for $400. There is no way I am paying that much for my prescription. Its more of an astigmatism correction than anything else. Barely any add value at all for reading.

ITs a racket what they try to charge for eye glasses these days.

Squalor2
10-23-2015, 12:09 AM

I purchased the first pair from Walmart at the low end for $180 and just ****ing hated them. Not comfortable and the viewing corridor was crap even though I paid for the wider corridor. I went to my eye doctor and they were trying to sell me a pair for $400. There is no way I am paying that much for my prescription. Its more of an astigmatism correction than anything else. Barely any add value at all for reading.

i agree its a racket. there are only so many vision equations that humans have 20/20 or some variation after. there is a low finite amount of vision corrections that can be made.

splatbass
10-23-2015, 01:19 AM

I purchased the first pair from Walmart at the low end for $180 and just fucking hated them. Not comfortable and the viewing corridor was crap even though I paid for the wider corridor. I went to my eye doctor and they were trying to sell me a pair for $400. There is no way I am paying that much for my prescription. Its more of an astigmatism correction than anything else. Barely any add value at all for reading.

I usually buy them when I'm in Korea. Top shelf stuff, super light frames and lenses, AR and transition (darken in sunlight) - the works for about $90 without insurance. I got my friend a pair when I was there in August, nice but without the extras for $75. And here is the catch - they are the exact same glasses you get here. It seems like it is a racket here in the US.

My eyes have been changing quickly though, and I decided recently I need progressive bifocals because not only close up but intermediate distances are starting to get fuzzy. So I went to the eye doctor and ordered some. $400, with insurance. Ouch.

10-23-2015, 02:54 AM
I usually buy them when I'm in Korea. Top shelf stuff, super light frames and lenses, AR and transition (darken in sunlight) - the works for about $90 without insurance. I got my friend a pair when I was there in August, nice but without the extras for $75. And here is the catch - they are the exact same glasses you get here. It seems like it is a racket here in the US.

My eyes have been changing quickly though, and I decided recently I need progressive bifocals because not only close up but intermediate distances are starting to get fuzzy. So I went to the eye doctor and ordered some. $400, with insurance. Ouch.

You can actually get that prescription from Zennioptical as well. I'm ordering progressives too.

Fire Me Boy!
10-23-2015, 04:23 AM
Microfiber cloths.

srvy
10-23-2015, 10:46 AM
This
http://www.mad4tools.com/ekmps/shops/madsupplies/images/uvex-cleaning-fluid-16oz-9992-000-14120-p.jpg

And this
http://www.treensafety.com/sites/default/files/styles/cloud-zoom-target/public/head%26eye/images/3090.060.001_-_S462_UVEX_Lens_Cleaning_Tissues_0.jpg?itok=4iDf7nbA

I keep this in my work truck for safety glasses and one at home stuff is the best I ever used. Our office actually setup cleaning stations around the office with this stuff. We get it at Contractors Supply in KCMO on North side of 18th Street just west of the Paseo but sure a search will find you local or Amazon.

splatbass
10-23-2015, 11:36 AM
You can actually get that prescription from Zennioptical as well. I'm ordering progressives too.

Cool, I'll check that out.

ArrowheadHawk
10-23-2015, 11:41 AM
Thanks. I'll just go the super cheap route then and get them from zennioptical without the AR. My vision isn't so bad that I feel a need to spend $400 for glasses.
I have used ZenniOptical for years. Best site I ever found to save money. If you don't like your glasses just buy a new pair. Also the cloth that comes with the glasses is nice for cleaning them. I highly recomend ZenniOptical.

srvy
10-23-2015, 12:15 PM
I bought Zenni safety glasses for times I am in an environment that I cannot wear contacts. It took way to long to ship and when they arrived they just didn't seem to focus right and made me a bit dizzy. I called and they gave me a ship back number and ordered me another pair and shipped. They arrived 3 weeks later same problem and I just ate them went back to eye doctor who did exam and my regular contact subscription. They were fine so beware quality control might be an issue.

Amnorix
10-23-2015, 01:45 PM
I need bifocals, but I got them a few years back and they drove me crazy. I may not have given myself enough time to adjust, but I sure need them. I'm always taking my glasses off for various things. I had those graduated bifocals instead of the ones with lines, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

I'm going to get progressive lenses for the first time in my life in a week or so. My very cute eye doctor gave me the bad news last week.

She said it takes up to a week to get used to them but you have to fight through it. Point your nose at what you're looking at and you will be fine. DON'T get them and then go drive. DON'T get them then go straight to work the next day. But for someone who never even had bifocals, it si going to suck bad.

Amnorix
10-23-2015, 01:46 PM
Microfiber cloths.

Yes. I got some as a promo a few months ago, and they are AWESOME. At least, I assume it's a microfiber cloth. Whatever it is, it fucking RULES. I got two of them, and keep one at work and one at home, and screw anything else...

Fire Me Boy!
10-23-2015, 02:10 PM
Yes. I got some as a promo a few months ago, and they are AWESOME. At least, I assume it's a microfiber cloth. Whatever it is, it ****ing RULES. I got two of them, and keep one at work and one at home, and screw anything else...

I keep them all over my house. And office. And car.

ExtremeChief
10-23-2015, 02:24 PM
My lenses are Crizal which I think is anti-reflective. I use the cleaning cloth that came with them and don't have any problems.

They are also transition lenses, which I thought would be great. They take forever to lighten up after coming in from outside and they don't darken in the car I guess since the windshield has UV protection? I'll probably never get them again.

Chief Pagan
10-23-2015, 02:29 PM
When I last got AR lenses I was using the eye store fluid and the tiny cleaning cloth that came with the lenses. Never could get rid of the smearing. I found that it is really important to have a clean cloth and the tiny ones are good for one or two cleanings before they got too dirty to work. I started using a large, soft linen (like you would use for drying dishes). Works much better and I can use the same one for a week or two and then toss it in the laundry. I also found, surprisingly enough, that the refill bottles from Walmart worked really well.

Hydrae
10-23-2015, 02:29 PM
I have progressive bifocals and it took a while to get used to them. Especially simply walking. It was like I couldn't see my feet or something. Very uncomfortable feeling.

ExtremeChief
10-23-2015, 02:38 PM
I have progressive bifocals and it took a while to get used to them. Especially simply walking. It was like I couldn't see my feet or something. Very uncomfortable feeling.

Stairs were what I struggled with. I still don't like wearing the damn things.