PDA

View Full Version : Royals Word of Advice to the Young Guys

gblowfish
10-24-2015, 11:59 AM
For you guys who are 30 or younger and are Royals fans.

ENJOY THIS RIDE.

In 1985 I was 26 years old. I had seen the Royals pushed down by the Oakland A's, then the New York Yankees. Then the Royals got to the big dance in 1980; Brett got Roids (not steroids, Ass Roids) and Amos Otis blew out his ankle. That Sack o Shit Dick with Ears Pete Rose and his Phillies team mates sent us all home in a deep depression. Not until 1985 was the mountain top reached, in an epic battle with our cross state rivals the St. Louis Cardinals.

Then 29 years of nuthin.

29 years.

If you would have told me in 1985 the Royals would go almost 30 years without winning squat, I would have said you were insane. In 1990, the Royals had BOTH Cy Young winners (1989 AL and NL winners) on their roster.
The Royals got Bo Jackson. The Royals had a hall of fame 3rd Baseman.

Nothing.

For 29 fucking years.

So my advice to you is ENJOY EVERY PITCH, EVERY MOMENT, EVERY GAME. There are no guarantees this will ever happen again in your lifetime. I've been very lucky to see it happen twice in my lifetime. I hope you young guys will get to feel the amazing thrill of having your team win a Worlds Championship.

And I pray if we do win -and I pray we DO win- that you won't have to wait 29 years more to see it happen again.

Go Royals. Bring it home. Be Champions.

rabblerouser
10-24-2015, 12:24 PM

ENJOY THIS RIDE.

In 1985 I was 26 years old. I had seen the Royals pushed down by the Oakland A's, then the New York Yankees. Then the Royals got to the big dance in 1980; Brett got Roids (not steroids, Ass Roids) and Amos Otis blew out his ankle. That Sack o Shit Dick with Ears Pete Rose and his Phillies team mates sent us all home in a deep depression. Not until 1985 was the mountain top reached, in an epic battle with our cross state rivals the St. Louis Cardinals.

Then 29 years of nuthin.

29 years.

If you would have told me in 1985 the Royals would go almost 30 years without winning squat, I would have said you were insane. In 1986, the Royals had BOTH Cy Young winners (1985 AL and NL winners) on their roster.

Nothing.

For 29 ****ing years.

So my advice to you is ENJOY EVERY PITCH, EVERY MOMENT, EVERY GAME. There are no guarantees this will ever happen again in your lifetime. I've been very lucky to see it happen twice in my lifetime. I hope you young guys will get to feel the amazing thrill of having your team win a Worlds Championship.

And I pray if we do win -and I pray we DO win- that you won't have to wait 29 years more to see it happen again.

AMEN!!

LET'S DO THIS!!

Buehler445
10-24-2015, 12:28 PM
Good advice, George.

big nasty kcnut
10-24-2015, 02:21 PM
Lets do this!

splatbass
10-24-2015, 02:37 PM

ENJOY THIS RIDE.

Then 29 years of nuthin.

29 years.

If you would have told me in 1985 the Royals would go almost 30 years without winning squat, I would have said you were insane. In 1986, the Royals had BOTH Cy Young winners (1985 AL and NL winners) on their roster.

Nothing.

For 29 fucking years.

Well said.

Discuss Thrower
10-24-2015, 02:43 PM
... so do you want us to stay off your lawn or...

jonzie04
10-24-2015, 02:46 PM
Damn, I wish I was a baseball fan. :( Congrats to all the Royals fans out there.

Lex Luthor
10-24-2015, 02:50 PM

ENJOY THIS RIDE.

Then 29 years of nuthin.

29 years.

Nothing.

For 29 fucking years.

We are about the same age, and I suspect you've been a Royals fan ever since Opening Day in 1969, just as I have.

I gave a similar speech to my son this morning.

KCrockaholic
10-24-2015, 02:57 PM
Thanks, George.

HemiEd
10-24-2015, 02:57 PM
I think I appreciate it even more this time George, the team got pretty good fairly quickly after expansion with EK owning the team. He stood toe to toe with Steinbrenner.

The 29 year drought that I truly believed would never end, has made me savor this team. When they called up Hosmer and Moose, I read it right here on CP. AlNorth (sp?) and/or DuncanIdaho I believe had started a thread about it and how good they would be.

I thought is was pretty funny last night when Davis was trying to get the last out, I could tell my pulse was pretty rapid and was checking it. Then zoomed in on George Brett doing the very same thing. :D

Living in market now, I believe I have only had to miss four games this year!

Lzen
10-24-2015, 04:27 PM
Damn you're old

Bob Dole
10-24-2015, 04:34 PM
Bob Dole agrees 100%

Enjoy not being mathematically eliminated by the end of July.

Prison Bitch
10-24-2015, 05:04 PM
George is confused. We had both Cy winners in 1990, not 1986.

Baby Lee
10-24-2015, 06:48 PM
Clint represent

C3HIEF3S
10-24-2015, 07:21 PM
Been a Royals fan since 2012 when I got into baseball.
72 wins in 2012
86 in 2013
AL champs 2014
AL champs 2015

I'm lucky and this isn't going unappreciated.

KCrockaholic
10-24-2015, 07:29 PM
I don't mind the new age Royals fans. I'm only 25 myself. But it's so annoying hearing people from outside KC call everyone a bandwagon fan. I've been following this team since I was born. I've lived with the complete yearly shitfest. I'm glad New York and LA teams don't know what going your entire life without a winning baseball team feels like. They can fuck themselves.

Deberg_1990
10-24-2015, 07:33 PM
My advice to you young Chiefs fans:

Kill yourself

alnorth
10-24-2015, 07:33 PM
I got into the Royals in the mid 90's. Just in time to watch them monumentally suck in 100-loss seasons, but not quite in time to see them play worth a damn.

I'm not as old a fan as George, but I think I've waited long enough for this.

Chiefaholic
10-24-2015, 07:35 PM
Everybody knows that the Cards have been my team since I was a young toddler. However, I don't get the cross state hate. I root for all teams that represent Missouri, unless it's a head to head matchup. Go Royals and make Missouri proud!

DJJasonp
10-24-2015, 07:36 PM
I was a sophomore in HS in '85.......the ONE and ONLY time I ever called my dad at work, was the day of the parade, asking him if it was ok to ditch school for the parade.

Will never forget it.

For the guys in their 20s or 30s with kids....if we win, make sure you get your kids to the parade - it's something they'll never forget!

Bugeater
10-24-2015, 07:36 PM
I don't mind the new age Royals fans. I'm only 25 myself. But it's so annoying hearing people from outside KC call everyone a bandwagon fan. I've been following this team since I was born. I've lived with the complete yearly shitfest. I'm glad New York and LA teams don't know what going your entire life without a winning baseball team feels like. They can fuck themselves.
You forgot Boston. They need to fuck themselves too.

ChiefsCountry
10-24-2015, 07:40 PM
I'm enjoying every single minute of it.

The Royals were my first sports love. The strike in 1994, of course the Chiefs getting Montana and being good in the 90s swung my favorite team to them. But the Royals were my first true love and seeing them finally come back its glorious.

tk13
10-24-2015, 07:41 PM
I mentioned this in the game thread yesterday... but in the last 40 seasons, the Royals now have more American League pennants than anyone but the Yankees. The Red Sox are the only other team with 4 in that span. So in a way we're all pretty lucky. Even if you go back to the expansion era, only 2-3 other teams jump ahead of us.

But as someone who came in at the end of George Brett's run and never got to live through the 70s... you never would've guessed it'd take this long to find success, so the last two years have been amazing. I think that's why I wasn't even that nervous going into game 6 last night. This team had played its behind off to get homefield, and here were with a great team and two shots to win it. It was fun and I was going to enjoy it.

Chiefaholic
10-24-2015, 07:42 PM
You forgot Boston. They need to **** themselves too.

And the Rockies and A's as well.... Not because they're accustomed to winning. But, rather the cities they represent ****ing suck.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-24-2015, 07:43 PM

ENJOY THIS RIDE.

Then 29 years of nuthin.

29 years.

Nothing.

For 29 fucking years.

Man, you really know how to get me in my feels over Kansas City sports teams. I pray we get to all experience this together! Forever Royal!!!

ChiefsCountry
10-24-2015, 07:45 PM
I mentioned this in the game thread yesterday... but in the last 40 seasons, the Royals now have more American League pennants than anyone but the Yankees. The Red Sox are the only other team with 4 in that span. So in a way we're all pretty lucky.

But as someone who came in at the end of George Brett's run and never got to live through the 70s... you never would've guessed it'd take this long to find success, so the last two years have been amazing. I think that's why I wasn't even that nervous going into game 6 last night. This team had played its behind off to get homefield, and here were with a great team and two shots to win it. It was fun.

If you just want to think about it since they became a franchise in 1969, Yankees, A's, Red Sox and Orioles are the only teams to win the pennant more than the Royals. Thats with 29 year suckage in there.

Squalor2
10-24-2015, 07:48 PM
dunno gblow, the championships are few in our lives. i never won one in baseball or football. my right arm socket is fucked from all the balls i threw. my ankles are fucked from tackles or slides. i have more pride in the games i played in than the ones i watch. maybe we root for the little bit of us that could play but didn't.

tk13
10-24-2015, 07:55 PM
If you just want to think about it since they became a franchise in 1969, Yankees, A's, Red Sox and Orioles are the only teams to win the pennant more than the Royals. Thats with 29 year suckage in there.

Yeah, that's pretty amazing. And then you think about how the Twins owned our division for several years, or all the great Oakland A's teams since Beane took over, or all the good Mariners teams, including the one that won 116 games and had the best regular season of modern times... and those teams never made it this far, and struggled to even win playoff series. What the Royals have done two years in a row is tough.

Baby Lee
10-24-2015, 07:57 PM
Damn, I wish I was a baseball fan. :( Congrats to all the Royals fans out there.

Baseball fandom is easy to turn on and off. It's incredibly boring when there's a dozen games a day every day for half the year. It's incredibly exciting when every pitch and stolen base counts.

From May to the end of September, it's like tubing down a lazy river. Fun to do every once in a while with a six pack at your side.

In October, if your favorite team is involved, it's suddenly the X-Games on meth.

Prison Bitch
10-24-2015, 08:13 PM
AL titles since we came into the league in 1969: 4

AL titles in that time for Angels, Mariners, White Sux combined: 2

TambaBerry
10-24-2015, 08:22 PM
This is what I said when I was a one year old about KU, then 20 years later we won again.

Baby Lee
10-24-2015, 08:38 PM
It just keeps getting better

http://uproxx.com/sports/2015/10/taco-bell-world-series-giveaway/

KCrockaholic
10-24-2015, 08:40 PM
Taco Bell breakfast is just horrible. Horrible.

ChiefsCountry
10-24-2015, 08:44 PM
Taco Bell breakfast is just horrible. Horrible.

Those AM crunchwraps are amazing.

KCrockaholic
10-24-2015, 08:47 PM
Those AM crunchwraps are amazing.

I went on the first day Taco Bell breakfast opened and I just hated it. It was like little kids playdough. Looked fake as hell, and tasted bland and bad texture.

I'll be the first to admit, Taco Bell is my #1 drunk food spot, but that breakfast I wont have it again.

Reaper16
10-25-2015, 10:33 AM
Of course we're enjoying every minute of it, George. I've suffered through the drought the same as you, only I wasn't even alive for the good years that preceded it. OF COURSE I'm not taking this for granted, and OF COURSE I know that I could never see this level of success from the team ever again. This current run is the anomaly, and I'm enjoying it for me and I'm enjoying it for you.

Mama Hip Rockets
10-25-2015, 05:25 PM
I was three years old in 1985, so I have never really witnessed a world championship and been able to fully appreciate it. I got close enough to taste it last year, and I will be bitterly disappointed with anything less this year.

WilliamTheIrish
10-25-2015, 07:55 PM
This has been my 9th postseason experience with this team.
76,77,78,80, 81 (strike shortened, split season, won the 2nd half division title) 84, 85, '14 and now '15.

There has been a lot of heartache. A LOT. Last season, I never felt the anxiety over any postseason game. It was just the most incredible run ever.

But Friday, I found myself in old habits. Pacing, watching the game by peeking around the corner from the hallway into the living room. Then I turned on the radio and let Denny and Co. Be the elixir that allowed me to sit calmly through that most incredible 9th inning by Wade Davis.

Our window will close soon but I don't care. There will be new players taking the place of our current heroes and I'll worry about that when the time comes.

Right now? Right now we are going to be besties with every Yankee fan in the world after the a Royals knock off the Mets.

You're welcome Yankee fans.

TLO
10-25-2015, 08:00 PM
I've followed the Royals faithfully since 2005 when I was 10 years old.

I'm not taking a single second of this for granted.

Bearcat
10-25-2015, 08:12 PM
What was the general vibe in '85? I know people have said it wasn't their greatest team, but my guess would be fans would have been pretty disappointed had they not won the World Series that year, at least once they got there? I mean, they had done everything else in recent years... finally beat the Yankees and made it to the WS in '80, back to the ALCS the previous season, they really had nothing else to accomplish at that point.

Regardless (and not to compare the two), I was thinking about the thread asking if Royals fans would be disappointed if they didn't win the WS this year, and the comment below on "bitterly disappointed" and those I've read/heard say not winning the WS will diminish what they've done, and I just can't see it that way. This has been fucking amazing and if they don't win this next series, I'm never looking back on this as "those two years they couldn't win a World Series." That's not how sports work.

Like George said, enjoy every minute of it.... if you're not, you're doing it wrong.

gblowfish
10-25-2015, 08:31 PM
The general vibe in 85 was that the Royals were lucky to win the AL West. They barely squeaked in. Back then, there was just the ALCS (2 divisions AL West and AL East) No wild card then. Everybody thought Toronto was the best team in the AL, and KC had to rally to win that series. Then it got personal vs. St. Louis. There was more on the line than just winning a WS. It was St. Louis had won like eight of them and we had never won squat, and St. Louis constantly reminded us of that fact. So getting pushed to the brink in that one too -we were down three games to one- and coming back and then just waxing the Cardinals in game 7, was incredible and quite frankly pretty unbelievable. Most old school Royals fans think their best team ever was 1977.

Also, PB is correct that the year the Royals had both Cy Young winners was 1990. I forgot Sabes won in 1989. He also won in 1985. In 1990 the Royals had Sabes and Mark Davis, who won with San Diego in 1989. He was a major bust in KC. American League hitters tore him up.

Baby Lee
10-25-2015, 08:38 PM
Most old school Royals fans think their best team ever was 1977.

I was too little for '77. We went to games, but I was just a kid checking out the stadium and how high in the air we were.

In '80, I was in prime young fan grooming years. We didn't have a TV, so I had to go to a friend house to watch the games we didn't go to. But we drove our teacher crazy with UL Washington cinnamon toothpicks everywhere.

The whole Brett era was my favorite. Can't pick a single year, except 85.

lewdog
10-25-2015, 09:28 PM
I hear all the stories about the Kansas City A's and the Royals from my dad who was born in 1953 and raised in Overland Park. He attended many games as a kid and had virtually given up hope for this franchise in my teenage years. It's been nice to have something to discuss on a weekly basis on phone calls with him. Just 5 years ago we were hoping this team would become borderline relevant (making a playoff push and probably missing out). Now with back-to-back World Series appearances, only those of us who have followed this team for decades will really appreciate what we are seeing. I keep telling my wife that what I am witnessing may never happen again in my life, that's how rare it's been and could be for the Royals.

Bl00dyBizkitz
10-25-2015, 10:42 PM
I remember being a kid going to grade school and looking at the Football and Baseball standings every morning. It was pretty sad seeing the Royals at the bottom and just hoping they weren't the absolute worst team in the league that year. Watching the Royals and Chiefs over the years, I just got used to failure at an early age. Even watching the Royals make the Wild Card last year, I joked to my sister saying I'd run screaming down the road if the Royals won the World Series, and we ended up 90 feet away from tying it in Game 7.

What the Royals have done these last few years to breed success, I will never forget. I will always appreciate this. I would even trade another 20/30 years of mediocrity if I could just say that I saw my Royals win the World Series and finally make the world bite their tongue for all the ridicule they've received. I'll never forget these moments.

BWillie
10-26-2015, 12:30 AM
Shit, I was 1 when the Royals last won the World Series. By the time of my cognitive memory, I do not remember the Royals EVER being good except quasi good/lucky in 2003. I've been a die hard Royal fan for DECADES. It's not this easy, it's really not, especially for the Royals.

splatbass
10-26-2015, 01:06 AM
I watched my first Royals games at Municipal Stadium when I was 9. Lou Pinella was playing for the Royals then. We didn't win much, but it was a lot of fun. Since then we have had some good years and a whole lot of suck. A couple of years ago I thought we would never be back in the World Series. 29 years is a long time to not even make the playoffs.

I'm going to enjoy the hell out of this while it lasts.

eDave
10-26-2015, 01:21 AM
I remember 1985. I was a freshman at NWMSU. Living and watching in the dorm.

When we won, we went on a panty raid. I caught a pair. Looked for that big ole bitch all year.