PDA

View Full Version : Life Your kids and bad date choices.

Rain Man
10-24-2015, 10:34 PM
I was in a restaurant the other night, and three people sat down at a table near me. The first to sit down was a young woman who was average in every single respect. She was the American everywoman - not attractive but not homely, not overweight but not skinny, average height, medium brown hair, the whole thing. She didn't look like a Manhattan project worker, but she didn't breathe through her mouth. On a 10 point scale, you would rate her a 5.02. (Admittedly, she had an above-average jawline and smile.)

Moving to sit across the table was clearly her mother. The mother was virtually identical to the daughter but 25 years older. She was clearly visiting from a suburb somewhere, and had a hairstyle and glasses that screamed, "Don't notice me."

The third person sat next to the young woman, and was clearly her boyfriend. He was clearly a hipster dude - modern duck hunter beard, really bad hairstyle, notably plump, and I think he may have been wearing pajama bottoms for pants. He was smirk-worthy even from my table.

Given the angle of our seating, I could see the mother's face, and the two young people were facing the opposite direction. As they conversed, it was painfully clear on the mother's face that she was determined to be friendly and welcoming, but it was also clear that she was uncomfortable. Reading between the lines, I think she wanted an above-average boyfriend for her average daughter and didn't feel that she was getting it.

For those of you with kids who are beyond the dating threshold, how are they doing? Are they outkicking their coverage or aiming too low? Do you like the dates that they're bringing home, or do you get the same wooden smile that this mother had? Got any good stories about your kids' dates?

For the purposes of the poll, answer for your child with the nearest birthday if you have more than one child of dating age or beyond.

listopencil
10-24-2015, 10:38 PM
NB4Poll

listopencil
10-24-2015, 10:39 PM
My youngest turns 18 next week.

listopencil
10-24-2015, 10:39 PM
How many of posts can I make before you get that poll up?

listopencil
10-24-2015, 10:40 PM
...and still nothing.

listopencil
10-24-2015, 10:41 PM
Oh my God. What if Rain Man died while posting a poll and this is it?

listopencil
10-24-2015, 10:42 PM
If you type out your poll options in a text file on your desktop ahead of time, you can just paste them into the poll when you are ready.

ThaVirus
10-24-2015, 10:42 PM
My youngest turns 18 next week.

Pics?

You know the drill.

listopencil
10-24-2015, 10:43 PM
Pics?

You know the drill.

He's kind of bashful.

listopencil
10-24-2015, 10:45 PM
Both of my boys did well. Of course I will probably never approve of the girls' choices but they do all right as well.

Rain Man
10-24-2015, 10:46 PM
If you type out your poll options in a text file on your desktop ahead of time, you can just paste them into the poll when you are ready.

I've had a disturbing occurrence recently of accidentally hitting some keyboard button combination that goes "back", thereby deleting all of my poll typing. I can't figure out what I'm doing, because it's never happened before. I get 80 percent done with the poll, accidentally hit some key combination, and then I have to start over. It's a mystery right up there with the Bermuda Triangle.

listopencil
10-24-2015, 10:47 PM
I've had a disturbing occurrence recently of accidentally hitting some keyboard button combination that goes "back", thereby deleting all of my poll typing. I can't figure out what I'm doing, because it's never happened before. I get 80 percent done with the poll, accidentally hit some key combination, and then I have to start over. It's a mystery right up there with the Bermuda Triangle.

I have been accidentally hitting shortcuts on my keyboard that mess me up as well.

Rain Man
10-24-2015, 10:48 PM
I have been accidentally hitting shortcuts on my keyboard that mess me up as well.

Who's doing this to us? Someone is secretly infiltrating our personal space.

listopencil
10-24-2015, 10:51 PM
Who's doing this to us? Someone is secretly infiltrating our personal space.

Did you recently upgrade to Windows 10? I think this started when I upgraded to Windows 10.

Rain Man
10-24-2015, 10:57 PM
Did you recently upgrade to Windows 10? I think this started when I upgraded to Windows 10.

Yeah, and it's been problematic. Not horrible, but I'm having a number of minor to moderate annoyances. The worst is that MS Excel blew up a bunch of longstanding work because it does some sort of automatic date parsing that destroyed a bunch of tables. But it seems that a host of things have been less good than Windows 7 and 8.

listopencil
10-24-2015, 11:17 PM
Yeah, and it's been problematic. Not horrible, but I'm having a number of minor to moderate annoyances. The worst is that MS Excel blew up a bunch of longstanding work because it does some sort of automatic date parsing that destroyed a bunch of tables. But it seems that a host of things have been less good than Windows 7 and 8.

I find it to be annoying and intrusive.

ThaVirus
10-25-2015, 12:08 AM
He's kind of bashful.

I feel dirty.

listopencil
10-25-2015, 12:16 AM
I feel dirty.

You get used to it after a while.

Eureka
10-25-2015, 01:48 AM
I don't have kids and am single. My mother prob has lowered her expectation of the kind of woman she thinks I should be with and would be happy if I married then kids. So some of you guys should take it with a grain of salt that your kids can settle down and most likely have grandkids.

TimBone
10-25-2015, 01:55 AM
He's kind of bashful.
I mean, he's 18 tho, right?

Coochie liquor
10-25-2015, 03:57 AM
My oldest daughter is married, she pretty much married the 3rd guy she went out with. Andrew is her husband, and he is a good man. I like him a lot, treats her very good, works to support his family, and we have a lot of similar taste in things.
My youngest is 16, she has had a few boyfriends that I don't really care for, but her current bf is a good guy (seemingly), who reminds me of my oldest daughters husband.

Perineum Ripper
10-25-2015, 07:27 AM
I told my son when he starts dating to not get anybody pregnant

I told my daughter she isn't allowed to date until she is married or turns 64

displacedinMN
10-25-2015, 07:41 AM
My 16 year old daughter is above the curve. And 5'11"

She has dated one guy, he was ok. I have known him since 6th grade. Which is her downfall. Every person at her school she would want to date, I know. I had most of them in my class in 8th grade.

She won't have a serious date until college. She is a good judge of character and should make a good choice.

My 12 year old will need more guidance. I know some day she will proclaim "I AM IN LOOOOVVVEEE" Look out. If he is below par, he is out.

BucEyedPea
10-25-2015, 08:32 AM
My child won't introduce me to his/her dates.

I never meet them, 'cuz dating is "out-of-date" per mine. They all just hang-out. So I never know about them except for the first one. First one doesn't count because she just wanted to see what having a boyfriend was like. So it lasted two months.

The second one I found out about a year after they started dating. Three years older and good looking. He was an obnoxious, conceited asshole who worked for his dad, made good money but dissed college and kept trying to get her to quit and work with him instead. That BOTHERED me. Not only that, but the boy introduced her to his family and dad ( divorced ) and he did the same thing. Ultimately, he hurt her badly and it was sad and depressing. She finally got over it.

Current one is a nice boy from a good family. Didn't find out she even had this one either until more than a year. I think it started slowly, not really seeing each other regularly though, but now it's regularly. But she says they fight a lot. He came here this past July for a weekend when she was home. ( He lives 5 hrs away) Cracks me up they met in poetry class.

ThaVirus
10-25-2015, 08:48 AM
I told my son when he starts dating to not get anybody pregnant

I told my daughter she isn't allowed to date until she is married or turns 64

Me as a father

Bugeater
10-25-2015, 08:51 AM
My son is a trainwreck, he currently has two older girlfriends that he has been juggling. One he has been with for several years and she is a controlling psycho that he is afraid to dump, and the other must have extremely low self-esteem because she knows about #1 and tolerates it. #2 lives at an apartment complex down the street from our house, he often spends the night with her but will park his car at home and walk down there in case #1 comes to check on him. Meanwhile, I'm just sitting back waiting for it to all blow up in his face, and frankly I'm shocked it hasn't yet.

keg in kc
10-25-2015, 08:53 AM
Thank god I didn't have kids. I'd have passed on my horrendous dating choices.

Aries Walker
10-25-2015, 09:17 AM
I have two nephews and seven nieces and, with only a few exceptions, they all make pretty awful dating choices.

It must be added that the one with the birthday closest to mine is one of those exceptions - her husband, Brad, is a solid, stand-up guy, and they're expecting their second child in a few months.

That said, though, apparently Jessica is back with Keith. Don't even get me started.

NoGodsNoReids
10-25-2015, 11:30 AM
My son is a trainwreck, he currently has two older girlfriends that he has been juggling. One he has been with for several years and she is a controlling psycho that he is afraid to dump, and the other must have extremely low self-esteem because she knows about #1 and tolerates it. #2 lives at an apartment complex down the street from our house, he often spends the night with her but will park his car at home and walk down there in case #1 comes to check on him. Meanwhile, I'm just sitting back waiting for it to all blow up in his face, and frankly I'm shocked it hasn't yet.

top kek

Predarat
10-27-2015, 06:59 AM
Where is the option for "I got my kid FROM a bad date choice?"

Lzen
10-27-2015, 12:16 PM
My two boys (ages 22 & 19) both have girlfriends that my wife and I really like. The oldest is going to KU Med to become a nurse. They have been together about 4 or 5 years now. The younger one came along at a very good time because my son was dealing with some demons and she was just what he needed. She is very nice and likeable. They have been together for 3 years now. Both are very nice and likeable. I assume that both will eventually marry my sons. My daughter is not old enough to date yet.

Lzen
10-27-2015, 12:17 PM
My sister (who never had good taste in men) has 3 kids (1 boy and 2 girls, all in their 20s) who all have poor taste in this area. :shake:

The Franchise
10-27-2015, 12:20 PM
http://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/you-like-my-daughter-do-you-remember-this-i-can-make-anything-look-like-an-accident-63ea8.png

Pablo
10-27-2015, 12:27 PM
My son is a trainwreck, he currently has two older girlfriends that he has been juggling. One he has been with for several years and she is a controlling psycho that he is afraid to dump, and the other must have extremely low self-esteem because she knows about #1 and tolerates it. #2 lives at an apartment complex down the street from our house, he often spends the night with her but will park his car at home and walk down there in case #1 comes to check on him. Meanwhile, I'm just sitting back waiting for it to all blow up in his face, and frankly I'm shocked it hasn't yet.That's gonna be a fuuuun time for him when it all catches up to him. Just hope your property isn't on the receiving end of Psycho #1's outrage when it goes down.

Spott
10-27-2015, 12:33 PM
As long as he stays always from druggies and never gets anyone pregnant or plans on getting married, then I don't worry about who my son dates.

seclark
10-27-2015, 12:45 PM
i'm very much pleased w/both of my sons wives. don't think i'd have married them, but i'm sure they wouldn't marry me either.

twin#1 met his wife in air force boot camp. been married 12 years.

twin#2 has been chummy w/his wife since they were in the 6th grade. hell, she feels like one of our kids. they've also been married 12 years.

sec

Rain Man
10-27-2015, 01:01 PM
i'm very much pleased w/both of my sons wives. don't think i'd have married them, but i'm sure they wouldn't marry me either.

twin#1 met his wife in air force boot camp. been married 12 years.

twin#2 has been chummy w/his wife since they were in the 6th grade. hell, she feels like one of our kids. they've also been married 12 years.

sec

Twin #2 locked in early. Kind of a Wonder Years thing.

seclark
10-27-2015, 01:12 PM
Twin #2 locked in early. Kind of a Wonder Years thing.

no shit...always together. she even lived w/the twins when they went to college. her dad wasn't too thrilled about it at the time.
sec

gblowfish
10-27-2015, 01:18 PM
I'm old enough now where all these little kids I've seen my friends have as babies, and rug rats, and pre-teens, then teenagers and college grads, are now getting married. It's been a trip to see them grow up. And amazingly they've all turned out to be great kids and good people as adults. Very gratifying.

Graystoke
10-27-2015, 01:41 PM
My Daughter's 1st boyfriend was a good kid, but destined to be a loser. She realized this and dumped him.
Her current boyfriend is awesome. For a 24 year old he has got his shit together. Owns his own place, great job, going back to school to get his masters degree...I want to Marry him he is so awesome.

My boys go through girlfriends like candy. Its fun to watch. I think they try to one up each other in boob size. Its gotta hit critical mass here pretty soon

Amnorix
10-27-2015, 03:02 PM
Its fun to watch. I think they try to one up each other in boob size.

Yeah, I'll bet!

Son: Dad, this is double D. Double D, Dad.

GF: Err. Deidre. It's Deidre. Nice to meet you.

Son: There's two D's on her....errr...in her name, so yeah.

Baby Lee
10-27-2015, 03:15 PM
I would disown my kids unless they dated a Quarterback early.

Just Passin' By
10-27-2015, 03:26 PM

This could be a concern for any sons in the family.

Shox
10-27-2015, 03:33 PM
Very funny story one of my good friends experienced.

He has three daughters, all very, very pretty. When they we all young (5, 8 & 9) I think, they were eating at a fast food place in a downtown metro city. A couple of guys who had on dirty clothes, long-hair, tats all over, the stereotypical guy you don't want your daughter around got in line behind them.

When he got to his table he told all of the daughters he did not every want them to date or bring a guy like them home. Almost instantly the 5 year old said; "don't worry dad, I will just meet them around the block and you will never know".

Made me so glad I only had boys.

Baby Lee
10-27-2015, 03:35 PM
This could be a concern for any sons in the family.

Scared his boyfriend will quit on his CFL team?

seclark
10-27-2015, 03:35 PM
Very funny story one of my good friends experienced.

He has three daughters, all very, very pretty. When they we all young (5, 8 & 9) I think, they were eating at a fast food place in a downtown metro city. A couple of guys who had on dirty clothes, long-hair, tats all over, the stereotypical guy you don't want your daughter around got in line behind them.

When he got to his table he told all of the daughters he did not every want them to date or bring a guy like them home. Almost instantly the 5 year old said; "don't worry dad, I will just meet them around the block and you will never know".

Made me so glad I only had boys.

yeah, my daughter dated a kid that called me "pops". i'm glad that didn't last very long.
sec

BigBeauford
10-27-2015, 03:55 PM

Unless that qb is Alex Smiff. Then they might as well date a LT amirite?