PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Conley suddenly starts catching the ball

Mr. Laz
10-26-2015, 09:39 PM
It's great to see Conley and Wilson step up.

Conley couldn't catch a cold during his first few games. Suddenly he caught just about everything. Was it just nerves?

I haven't heard anything about it.

penbrook
10-26-2015, 09:44 PM
Wilson looking real good as well

wazu
10-26-2015, 10:52 PM
I'm guessing since he was drafted into the NFL as a wide receiver that at some point in his life he demonstrated the ability to catch a football. Maybe that ability is resurfacing.

DaNewGuy
10-26-2015, 10:54 PM
Probably just rookie nerves. People already wrote him off after a few games.

Mav
10-27-2015, 12:00 AM

Conley couldn't catch a cold during his first few games. Suddenly he caught just about everything. Was it just nerves?

No. Receivers struggle early because they think too much. He's just relaxed.

Shaid
10-27-2015, 12:03 AM
With your #1 receiver out, you get to play a lot more. Playing time cures all with a young guy trying to get his feet wet.

mdchiefsfan
10-27-2015, 04:24 AM
With your #1 receiver out, you get to play a lot more. Playing time cures all with a young guy trying to get his feet wet.

They seemed to be forcing the issue with him, as I feel he's seen the field quite a bit before last week. He just had a breakthrough day; now the question will shift to consistency and improvement. I agree with the overthinking group.

prhom
10-27-2015, 07:18 AM
It seemed to me like he was better at getting open this game. I couldn't really tell, but we're the Steelers playing more zone coverage? Maybe he is better at finding soft spots in the zone than beating man coverage?

Hoover
10-27-2015, 07:46 AM
Yeah the Steelers were probably stacking the box to contain Charles. He sucks along with Alex and the rest of the team.

Love,

ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsLV
10-27-2015, 07:50 AM

It's amazing that a young player, a rookie even, could improve isn't it? Seriously people around here judge players way too soon. I remember when JC was considered JAG and was too small to be a #1 back according to some here. Give these guys a couple years to develop before rushing to judgement.

Dunerdr
10-27-2015, 10:42 AM
I'm ready for more Wilson there's been several times I've seen him open and smith not looking. I'd go back and find them if I have a shot anymore.

MTG#10
10-27-2015, 10:48 AM
I havent watched a game since the shit-show in Cincy...Maclin is hurt?

thabear04
10-27-2015, 11:19 AM
I havent watched a game since the shit-show in Cincy...Maclin is hurt?

Yup had a concussion. But Reid didn't want to play him this game maybe he will play against the Lions.

xztop123
10-27-2015, 12:01 PM
I'm afraid West is going to save Alex Smiths career.

he's better than charles as a pure reciever/pass blocker

Dunerdr
10-27-2015, 04:28 PM

But his numbers are good!

aturnis
10-27-2015, 04:51 PM
He has a couple drops, but never saw him drop a lot. Mostly a rookie not catching the ball before thinking about his next move stuff.

Wilson rarely drops the ball and gets open fairly consistently. He didn't "step up" so much as Alex actually looked his way.

I think the major problem with the offense has been Alex's inability to see past Maclin and Charles. I think we saw the same issue with Cassel at times. When Bowe would go down, it forced him to recognize other receivers existed.

Mr. Laz
10-27-2015, 05:19 PM
He has a couple drops, but never saw him drop a lot. Mostly a rookie not catching the ball before thinking about his next move stuff.

Wilson rarely drops the ball and gets open fairly consistently. He didn't "step up" so much as Alex actually looked his way.

I think the major problem with the offense has been Alex's inability to see past Maclin and Charles. I think we saw the same issue with Cassel at times. When Bowe would go down, it forced him to recognize other receivers existed.
I think Conley drop like 4 out of his first 5 passes.

Then the Steeler game comes along and he doesn't drop a thing.

Rarely see such a sudden turnaround.

Hopefully Conley and Wilson really get a foothold so that even after Macling comes back they are still a major part of the rotation.

BossChief
10-27-2015, 07:28 PM
This is a system with a huge playbook and tons of nuances to each play.

I imagine he was overthinking every play early on, but when you are a starter with expectations, you don't have as much time to think and you have to just play.

I also remember reading about how his hands were terrible when he first got to Georgia and he put the work in to gain the rep for having great hands.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
10-27-2015, 08:05 PM
Have to agree this is a tough offense to learn and Conley seems smart enough to figure it out during this rookie year. He struggled in the those first 4 games just knowing his routes on top of bobbling some easy passes. If he can pick up 60% of his targets going forward, he'll be the WR2 we need him to be going forward with a healthy Maclin and Kelce hauling in 70% of their targets.

Dunerdr
10-27-2015, 08:19 PM
Guys lets talk about how we jus led up the race for number 1

Simply Red
10-27-2015, 08:20 PM
I was totally right about Conley.

pugsnotdrugs19
10-27-2015, 08:25 PM
He's a nice piece for our future and brings some fire to the offense. Say what you want, but with Maclin, Kelce, Conley and Wilson on the rise, and DAT doing more and more each week, the future at receiver looks strong for KC.

ThaVirus
10-27-2015, 08:48 PM

Horrible take

Discuss Thrower
10-27-2015, 08:52 PM
Not sure what was the more classic ChiefsPlanet groupthink take this offseason:

Conley becoming a #2 WR right out of the gate, or Catapano being a rotational DL earning a handful of sacks.