PDA

View Full Version : Football Matt Forte to Broncos among trades that would make sense

The Franchise
10-28-2015, 07:51 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000567542/article/matt-forte-to-broncos-among-trades-that-would-make-sense

Tamba Hali, OLB, to the Falcons
The 2-5 Chiefs should think about selling off some veterans. The 31-year-old Hali is set to be a free agent, and Kansas City has a former first-round draft pick in Dee Ford presumably waiting in the wings to replace Hali. Hali might be in his 10th season, but he's coming off a five-tackle, two-sack performance in which he also forced a fumble, and he could definitely help the Falcons. Atlanta ranks second against the run but 25th against the pass, with a league-low eight sacks -- if Hali can boost the Falcons' pass rush, their defense could suddenly become a factor. He's probably worth a fifth-rounder, but I'd be happy with a sixth if I were the Chiefs.

Derrick Johnson, ILB, to the Packers

The Packers tend to prefer to build from within, but their run defense has been a weak spot this season, and Johnson could be exactly what they need to ensure a Super Bowl push. Johnson is 32 and coming off an Achilles injury, but he's playing well this year, having contributed 38 tackles, four passes defensed, a pick and a sack. He's simply a darn good football player, someone who can stop the run but also make plays in space. Rookie Ramik Wilson has made two starts and is waiting in the wings for Kansas City, and the Chiefs could ship Johnson to Green Bay for a sixth-round pick.

Sean Smith, CB, to the Patriots

Three years ago, Bill Belichick successfully landed some needed cornerback help when he plucked Aqib Talib from the Bucs. This season, Smith could be Belichick's Talib. The seventh-year pro fits the Patriots' mold as a tall (6-foot-3) corner with long arms, and he could really help their secondary. I could see him moving for a sixth-rounder.

Bufkin
10-28-2015, 07:53 PM
I would love if the Falcons traded for Hali. I think a 5th would be reasonable. There's obviously the Pioli familiarization, and our pass rush is ass.

Marcellus
10-28-2015, 08:00 PM
Fuck all of that at this point. A bunch of 6th round picks?

DaneMcCloud
10-28-2015, 08:04 PM
That's an assload of dipshitery

pr_capone
10-28-2015, 08:09 PM
I am a-ok with trading off the guys getting long in the tooth. Not willing to give them away for 6th round picks though.

RunKC
10-28-2015, 08:10 PM
Tamba and DJ shouldn't be on this team next year, but it's more than that.

Keep them here. Don't **** them over like that for a ****ing 6th round pick midseason. They are team leaders and want to retire Chiefs.

Kman34
10-28-2015, 08:10 PM
This is dumb...The Chiefs aren't trading anybody...They foolishly think they can still make the playoffs...

TribalElder
10-28-2015, 08:11 PM
Fuck the Falcons for not trading us back tony G when their record was aids

oaklandhater
10-28-2015, 08:23 PM
This is dumb...The Chiefs aren't trading anybody...They foolishly think they can still make the playoffs...

after we lose to the Lions there hope will die

jonzie04
10-28-2015, 08:31 PM
5th and 6th round picks? Ummm, no thanks. I do wonder what the hell Seattle was thinking giving us a 5th for Mccray though. A 6th round pick for Smith is laughable. I think he has the trade destinations right but not a single one of those trades are happening at that value.

The Franchise
10-28-2015, 08:44 PM
I'd take a 3rd for Smith.

TimBone
10-28-2015, 08:53 PM
I would love if the Falcons traded for Hali. I think a 5th would be reasonable. There's obviously the Pioli familiarization, and our pass rush is ass.
It's best he stays here. You'd likely be disappointed with his decline if he went to ATL. I hope he retires a Chief after this year.

cdcox
10-28-2015, 08:53 PM
I didn't know that Matt Forte was considered to be a cheater?

notorious
10-28-2015, 08:55 PM
This garbage comes from the official NFL website?

Fist yourselves.

Rain Man
10-28-2015, 09:23 PM
This garbage comes from the official NFL website?

Fist yourselves.

This is perhaps the most excellent point of this thread. The NFL shouldn't be promoting articles like this on its web site. We already know that Goodell wants all of the free agents to go to New York.

Saccopoo
10-28-2015, 09:33 PM
Fuck.

This.

Bullshit.

Sixth rounders for some of the most productive even if aging players in the league at their positions? Guys who have been absolute warriors for this team their entire career? Who fucking wrote this fucking garbage?

And a sixth rounder for Sean Smith?

Pass the bong dude.

ThaVirus
10-28-2015, 09:41 PM
If Pioli were still running the show, trading Smith to NE for a 6th would be believable.

Sorter
10-28-2015, 09:44 PM
If Pioli were still running the show, trading Smith to NE for a 6th would be believable.

Could probably get better than a 6th given it's late in the season and S. Smith has experience with the same/similar concepts/terminology for their defense, so there isn't going to be a steep learning curve.

ThaVirus
10-28-2015, 09:59 PM
Could probably get better than a 6th given it's late in the season and S. Smith has experience with the same/similar concepts/terminology for their defense, so there isn't going to be a steep learning curve.

If we're not planning on re-signing him after the season, why not let him go for something reasonable?

At 2-5 with zero quality wins we're really on the outside looking in.

Baby Lee
10-28-2015, 10:06 PM
after we lose to the Lions there hope will die

where?

ClevelandBronco
10-28-2015, 10:13 PM

...They are team leaders and want to retire Chiefs.

I don't think it's entirely mean spirited to say they already have.

Discuss Thrower
10-28-2015, 10:21 PM
If anyone is dumb enough to cough up a pick for Sean Smith in the next few days, I'm all for it.

Shaid
10-28-2015, 10:21 PM
If we're not planning on re-signing him after the season, why not let him go for something reasonable?

At 2-5 with zero quality wins we're really on the outside looking in.

We'd get a better comp pick than this trade is giving us, that's why.

Discuss Thrower
10-28-2015, 10:22 PM
We'd get a better comp pick than this trade is giving us, that's why.

You can't trade comp picks.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-28-2015, 10:24 PM
This isn't baseball. None of those moves will happen.

ThaVirus
10-28-2015, 10:25 PM

Right.

And we'll need as many trade-able picks as possible to trade up in the 4th to draft Reid's project QB that will never see the field.

J Diddy
10-28-2015, 10:30 PM

What does that have to do w/ Jack poop?

salame
10-28-2015, 10:30 PM
what a terrible fucking article

Discuss Thrower
10-28-2015, 10:32 PM

Keep them here. Don't **** them over like that for a ****ing 6th round pick midseason. They are team leaders and want to retire Chiefs.

Who gives a flying fuck what they want? They've been paid handsome sums of money by the Chiefs; if the team determines they are more valuable elsewhere and can get something back by trading for draft picks then you trade them without question.

Rain Man
10-28-2015, 10:38 PM
Aside from the fact that nfl.com shouldn't be promoting articles like this, and setting aside the fact that the article itself is ignorant, we're going to need those guys in the playoffs.

jspchief
10-28-2015, 10:39 PM
If the Chiefs have no intention of pursuing any of these players next year, then getting something for them now makes sense. A 6th round pick may sound insulting, but it's better than the nothing they'll get in 4 months. Only S Smith has a chance at generating more interest from a team willing to give him a new contract now.

On the flip side, there's no way the Chiefs organization would do this. A fire sale of some of their (formerly) best players, and fan favorites to boot, is a great way to nuke 2016 season ticket sales even more than a 3 win season will.

It's logical. But it doesn't appeal to the emotions of the dipshits of nfl/chiefs fandom.

J Diddy
10-28-2015, 10:40 PM
Who gives a flying **** what they want? They've been paid handsome sums of money by the Chiefs; if the team determines they are more valuable elsewhere and can get something back by trading for draft picks then you trade them without question.

They are both probowl players who have more compensatory value than trade value.

This is the kind of shit that gets your cameras scoped out at games, fucker.

Discuss Thrower
10-28-2015, 11:08 PM
They are both probowl players who have more compensatory value than trade value.

This is the kind of shit that gets your cameras scoped out at games, fucker.

Nobody is going to sign Hali or DJ to a contract that is going to net a single 6th round comp pick. Especially not after bringing in Maclin.

Ming the Merciless
10-28-2015, 11:10 PM
We can't afford fisher and Albert

We can't afford bowe and maclin

Yet the broncos can just go sign Peyton Manning and then when that's not enough they can grab forte...

Cheaps

TEX
10-28-2015, 11:16 PM
I don't think it's entirely mean spirited to say they already have.

It is. But I expect it coming from a Donkey-Douche Boy-Idiot, so no harm. :shrug:

Ming the Merciless
10-28-2015, 11:19 PM
6th round picks?

Yet we give TWO top end second round picks for a fucking game manager?

What the fuck

Discuss Thrower
10-28-2015, 11:40 PM
6th round picks?

What the fuck

"That's the market."

jonzie04
10-29-2015, 12:20 AM
Nobody is going to sign Hali or DJ to a contract that is going to net a single 6th round comp pick. Especially not after bringing in Maclin.

For starters Maclin counts against comp picks for 2016, not 2017 like Hali and DJ would if we let them walk.

Secondly we received a 3rd for Albert 9.4 per year
5th for Jackson 5 per year.
5th Asamoah 4.5 per year
6th for Mccluster at 3 per year.

You don't think Hali and DJ are going to get at least 3 per year on the open market?

scho63
10-29-2015, 06:42 AM
I agree they are past their prime and going backwards but 6th round picks for all three??? :rolleyes:

:shake:

Simply Red
10-29-2015, 07:43 AM
**** all of that at this point. A bunch of 6th round picks?

i agree.

Simply Red
10-29-2015, 07:45 AM
We can't afford fisher and Albert

We can't afford bowe and maclin

Yet the broncos can just go sign Peyton Manning and then when that's not enough they can grab forte...

Cheaps

Yup and Maclin hasn't added shit.

Rausch
10-29-2015, 07:47 AM
I'm ok with trading Smith.

Any of them...

Rausch
10-29-2015, 07:48 AM
where?

UK...

Amnorix
10-29-2015, 07:51 AM
Would be classic Belichick to trade a 2016 6th for a position of need, see the guy leave the team after the year, and get a 2017 4th round comp pick for him.

He's done stuff like that several times. Soem of the trades we made last year were for guys where all we did was flip picks -- Pats gave their 5th for their 6th, or whatever, but since the Pats drafted 32nd and some of those teams were near the top of their round, the Pats only moved back like 10 picks or less.

Because of the comp pick situation for Smith, I'd think the Pats would be willing to go higher than a 6th if they thought the CB would be in the top 3 rotation for them. Pats/KC both know it will be a very late 6th after all.

Rausch
10-29-2015, 07:56 AM
Would be classic Belichick to trade a 2016 6th for a position of need, see the guy leave the team after the year, and get a 2017 4th round comp pick for him.

He's done stuff like that several times. Soem of the trades we made last year were for guys where all we did was flip picks -- Pats gave their 5th for their 6th, or whatever, but since the Pats are drafted 32nd and some of those teams were near the top of their round, the Pats only moved back like 10 picks or less.

Because of the comp pick situation for Smith, I'd think the Pats would be willing to go higher than a 6th if they thought the CB would be in the top 3 rotation for them. Pats/KC both know it will be a very late 6th after all.

It wouldn't make sense to make the trade then.

We'd be better off letting him go as a FA and getting a 4th or 5th comp pick...

Amnorix
10-29-2015, 08:26 AM
It wouldn't make sense to make the trade then.

We'd be better off letting him go as a FA and getting a 4th or 5th comp pick...

Agreed. Some teams are so impatient they will take the earlier pick over the comp pick.

If you think you're going to get a 5th round comp pick, then taking a 5th round pick for him now makes sense if the team has given up on the season. Two reasons -- first, the comp pick isn't in 2016, it's in 2017, so you get it a year early which has value. Second, comp picks are always at the end of the round, and are not tradeable. Any pick traded to you in the same round is higher than comp picks int hat round, and ARE tradeable, so they're a bit more valuable there too.

MotherfuckerJones
10-29-2015, 12:27 PM
I'd take a 7th for Alex Smith. I'd keep the other guys though. Don't need a bunch of sixths. Like others said, we'll take the comp picks.

Valiant
10-29-2015, 12:30 PM

Sorry, but unless they are playing for vet minimum. Their usefulness has crossed it point. If we can get value for them, trade them at this point in their careers.

Hell, I am sure Smith and DJ would like to go to superbowl contenders.

Chief_For_Life58
10-29-2015, 12:30 PM
i would definitely trade tamba and derrick to the falcons and packers. let them try and win something meaningful for once in their nfl careers

Hydrae
10-29-2015, 12:32 PM
i would definitely trade tamba and derrick to the falcons and packers. let them try and win something meaningful for once in their nfl careers

Yep, that worked out great for Tony G.

RippedmyFlesh
10-29-2015, 12:54 PM
6th round picks?

What the fuck

The so called "chart" goes out the window when it comes to the chiefs.
Apparently chiefs 2nd round = every other teams 6th round pick

Chief_For_Life58
10-29-2015, 12:58 PM

Lol Yea you're right . he had a better chance winning a playoff game with us in that time span

MotherfuckerJones
10-29-2015, 01:02 PM

He at least got to the NFC champ game.

Mr. Laz
10-29-2015, 01:12 PM
6th round picks?

Not unless there is a big salary cap benefit to moving them.

6th round picks are general just guys you want for special teams or because you think they are going to be undrafted and you don't want to have to stand in line to sign them.

Bowser
10-29-2015, 01:18 PM
6th round picks?

6th round picks are general just guys you want for special teams or because you think they are going to be undrafted and you don't want to have to stand in line to sign them.

But as has been said, better to move them and get something for them if they aren't in the plans next year.

The Franchise
10-29-2015, 01:20 PM
Keep in mind that this is Gil Brandt. Dude is senile.

Bowser
10-29-2015, 01:22 PM
Keep in mind that this is Gil Brandt. Dude is senile.

He's forgotten threefold the information about football than you and I combined will ever know, but man, he really needs to hang it up. I'm not sure if he still comes on NFL Network on SiriusXM, but he became basically unlistenable.

The Franchise
10-29-2015, 01:27 PM
He's forgotten threefold the information about football than you and I combined will ever know, but man, he really needs to hang it up. I'm not sure if he still comes on NFL Network on SiriusXM, but he became basically unlistenable.

Yep....he's still on SiriusXM and it's hard as hell to listen to him talk.

The Franchise
10-29-2015, 01:30 PM
If you haven't actually read the article....

1. Vernon Davis to the Broncos for a 6th
2. Matt Forte to the Broncos for a 3rd-4th
3. Hali to the Falcons for a 6th
4. Alshon Jeffery to the Giants for a 5-6th
5. Calvin Johnson to the Panthers for a 5th
6. DJ to the Packers for a 6th
7. Ronald Leary to the Steelers for a 4th
8. Sean Smith to the Pats for a 6th.

Bowser
10-29-2015, 01:30 PM
Yep....he's still on SiriusXM and it's hard as hell to listen to him talk.

"I remember going to the Army pro day in 1958, and there was this little safety named Michael O'Houlihan that probably tested better than anyone I saw up until 1974 when I saw Trevor McMichael test out better at long snapper from Creighton...."

Blahblahblahblah, in an old guy voice. Hate to be a dick about it, but it's just bad. And kind of sad, really.

The Franchise
10-29-2015, 01:31 PM
"I remember going to the Army pro day in 1958, and there was this little safety named Michael O'Houlihan that probably tested better than anyone I saw up until 1974 when I saw Trevor McMichael test out better at long snapper from Creighton...."

Blahblahblahblah, in an old guy voice. Hate to be a dick about it, but it's just bad. And kind of sad, really.

Pretty much. LMAO

And the listeners that call in? JFC. :facepalm:

Bowser
10-29-2015, 01:31 PM
Shit, WE should make a run at Ashlon Jeffery for a 5th.

Amnorix
10-29-2015, 02:01 PM
6th round picks?

There could be a salary cap benefit to moving them, depending on a number of factors.

But you underrate 6th round picks. You're right that they are not exactly for guys you THINK will be starters, but you can get very good ST players, very solid backups, and of course you can always get lucky (Brady, Terrell Davis, Adalius Thomas, Antonio Brown to name a few).

Hydrae
10-29-2015, 02:27 PM
4. Alshon Jeffery to the Giants for a 5-6th

Hell, I would do that in a heartbeat!