PDA

View Full Version : Royals Thoughts on Game 3

Why Not?
10-29-2015, 11:47 PM
First thing, are the national media and fans ever going to learn? To be fair, I heard a lot about the Royals early in the day, but by the afternoon it was all about Syndergaard and how if he wins tomorrow, it's a new series, blah blah blah.

Syndergaard has great upside and has pitched well. However, he is clearly inferior to the two pitchers already seen and handled by the Royals. He went 9-7 with a 3.24 era. Hardly Clemens mid to late 80's there. He also has thrown about 30 more innings this year than last, and his best pitch is a plus plus fastball. You know how we handle that. Additionally he is a rookie making his first WS start Under immense pressure. Make no mistake, this is as good as an elimination game for the Mets.

For the above reasons, I think we have the pitching matchup in our favor for this game. No doubt, Ventura has been inconsistent this year and it's been awhile since his last dominant start, but a few things work in his favor:

A)This is his 3rd WS and 9th overall postseason start. You hear from players all the time that there is nothing like post season experience. Syndergaard has had two playoff starts. Game 2 against LA 6 1/3 3 ER and a loss. Decent start. K'd 9 and walked 4. Betcha both of those totals take a nosedive in this game. His 2nd start was game 2 of the NLCS where he went 5 2/3 dominant innings with 1 ER 1 walk and another 9 K. The innings pitched is the main point here. My whole theory has been that out starters did not have to out pitch their Met counterparts, just match them. Volquez did that to a T in game 1 and Cueto obviously out pitched De Grom in game 2. So, can Ventura match Syndergaard for 6 innings? I think he can because

B)Remember, this was supposed to be our ace this year. That didn't quite work out but we all know Ventura has it in him to go 7 shutout innings. He is a pretty emotional guy who looks for reasons to fire himself up. Here are two that I am sure he has to be aware off. First off, literally everyone is talking about how great the guy who is going to save the season for the Mets is. Not much being said about the guy who is pitching for the team up 2-0, going for a kill shot. If I'm Dave Eiland or Salvy or Cueto, I make sure Ace knows that. Secondly, this is a legend play for Ventura. This has a chance to be the last meaningful game of the 2015 WS. I know, you know, the Mets know, the Royals know, everybody knows this series is over at 3-0. The Royals can forfeit games 4 and 5 and the series is still over and we all know it. Last year, Ventura could only look on as the game 7 he got the team to, played out. That had to hurt. Tomorrow(tonight for you guys), for all intents and purposes, he can end the World Series.

C)Volquez, Ventura and Cueto seem really close and like to pick each other up. You saw how Cueto pitched dedicating himself to pitching for Edison's dad. I'm sure Ventura wants to follow suit

And finally,

D)um, the Mets lineup still kinda sucks. Clearly, this was an offensive one trick pony. Keep Murphy in the park, the Mets struggle. Again, much of what I heard on national radio today was how the Mets hitters will be much more comfortable at home and find their grove. I think that's silly. Baseball is baseball. See the ball and hit it. Where you play the game has no ability to influence how you hit a baseball. It may have some influence on what happens to a ball after you hit it(ala Rogers Center or Minute Maid)but the Mets are just not a great lineup. Again, match Syndergaard,go 6 strong and get it to the rested bullpen

This is the chance to step on their throat. Do not give them a single shred of hope. Win tomorrow and the only question remaining is, what day is the parade??

I say Royals 5-2. What say you?

10-30-2015, 12:24 AM
All I care about is that it doesn't go to extra innnings

Why Not?
10-30-2015, 12:52 AM

Yeah, that would not rule. Unless the Royals won. Then you could start Franklin Morales game 4

Buehler445
10-30-2015, 02:18 AM
Yordano always scares the shit out of me. He can look like a beast up there in the first and give up 6 in the second.

He's also been prone to the Homerun ball and the last thing we need is to get Murphy or Duda some confidence.

I'm hoping he goes 5 dominant ones with some run support. I think we can close that up.

EPodolak
10-30-2015, 02:26 AM
In these games where everything is at stake, nothing that happens would surprise me. I don't care who's pitching.

KCUnited
10-30-2015, 05:44 AM
I'm rooting for a sweep, but like the CS, KC really just needs to pick up 1 game in NY. Tonight may be their best opportunity with Ventura running out. While Chris Young is a true professional and balled out for us in game 1, I'm not super confident in his ability to be effective twice within a series if he's given the nod in game 4. Then the questions surrounding Volquez and his availability and effectiveness against Harvey in game 5 makes me think tonight would be an ideal night to pick up a game in NY, to at the very least, get it back to KC only needing 1 more win.

That said, since the comeback against Houston in the DS, KC is playing like they can't be beat so I'm not sweating any of these games, really.

Bob Dole
10-30-2015, 06:00 AM
Our bats have to stay hot. We win this it will completely crush their tiny black souls.

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-30-2015, 06:19 AM
People are still calling in on Sirius saying the Mets sweep the next 4 games and win in 6.

Dumbasses !

If Ventura is on his game we win. They are not an offense to be scared of at all. Keep hitting the inside corners on Murphy and he can't go park. The rest is chump change.

Dartgod
10-30-2015, 06:20 AM
I like it. Sign me up!

Lex Luthor
10-30-2015, 06:31 AM
Seriously?

If they Royals win the game, it can go 30 innings for all I care.

10-30-2015, 06:34 AM
Seriously?

If they Royals win the game, it can go 30 innings for all I care.

I don't want to miss the end of the game because I have to go to work. Therefore I hope it doesn't go to extra innings.

lewdog
10-30-2015, 06:37 AM
You know what I think about winning? Why not!

Why Not?
10-30-2015, 06:38 AM
People are still calling in on Sirius saying the Mets sweep the next 4 games and win in 6.

Dumbasses !

If Ventura is on his game we win. They are not an offense to be scared of at all. Keep hitting the inside corners on Murphy and he can't go park. The rest is chump change.

Dude, it's kind of weird. I get the delusional fans, but I was listening to Mad Dog radio on the drive home and Dan Graca(whom I like, usually)was practically predicting a Mets sweep at Citi field. Kevin Millar said it's definitely going back to KC. It's just odd.

Why Not?
10-30-2015, 06:39 AM
You know what I think about winning? Why not!

That's how I feel about it.

Great Expectations
10-30-2015, 07:38 AM
The National pundits I heard on MLB radio last night were saying the series is over, the Mets have no shot. That kind of rhetoric makes me nervous. Tonight is by far our best matchup over the next 3 and the Mets are -135. They will likely be -165 tomorrow.

Jerm
10-30-2015, 07:45 AM
Dude, it's kind of weird. I get the delusional fans, but I was listening to Mad Dog radio on the drive home and Dan Graca(whom I like, usually)was practically predicting a Mets sweep at Citi field. Kevin Millar said it's definitely going back to KC. It's just odd.

FS1 goofs the other night were saying the same things for the most part...it's all baffling to me. I think a sweep is way more likely than this even going back to K.C.

All in all I don't think we sweep but I don't think we're coming back to K.C. either.

Bearcat
10-30-2015, 08:14 AM
This game seems too obvious. Ventura on the mound, the first two games haven't dispelled the thought that it's the least scary lineup they've faced, the Royals have done well after seeing their pitchers a couple times through the order, all the momentums... the only downside is taking away the DH, but Morales hasn't been a huge factor so far.

jimidollar
10-30-2015, 08:20 AM
This game seems too obvious. Ventura on the mound, the first two games haven't dispelled the thought that it's the least scary lineup they've faced, the Royals have done well after seeing their pitchers a couple times through the order, all the momentums... the only downside is taking away the DH, but Morales hasn't been a huge factor so far.

Yeah, coming into the series, I was worried about not having Ken in NY. We've pretty much won without him. I think we'll still be able to put up enough runs to win.

ROYC75
10-30-2015, 08:39 AM
I see things a little different here,yet the same ending results.The way I see this is the Mets were so sure of winning fresh off their sweep of the Cubs, they really under estimated KC. Their pitching was built up, propped up into thinking they were invincible. The whole NY, East Coast and National media basically laid this out because of the young armed power pitching Mets.

Syndergaard and his 100% guarantee the Mets will win the WS goes right along with this way of thinking. KC was here last year, NY wasn't, talking is great but you have to bring it onto the field, play after play. The problem for the Mets is they were young, inexperienced on this stage. Being confident is one thing, arrogant and showing a lack of respect by expecting because of recent sucess is another.

This has caught them off guard and now in a hole 2 games to none. KC is still confident yet showing the poise that there is much more work to be done. The Mets are reeling and banking on a good outing from their young lad,Syndergaard. Can he maintain his composure in a do or die game ? How many people feel the Mets can come back if KC wins this game ? May I see a show of hands ? The Mets weakness couldn't expose the Royals weakness, yet the Royals strengths were too much for the Met strenghts in the 1st two games.

They say you ride in the game that brought ya here, it's either do or die or sink or swim for the Mets in Game # 3. It doesn't matter how you title it, put up and show up time for the Mets because they got caught with their guard down.

If I was a betting man, I say the pressure is too much for the young lad tonight as well. IMHO, Syndergaard has watched but hasn't faced a lineup this deep as the Royals are. He will get an inning or 2 until we get some runs on him, the question is how will he react? Can the Mets bats wake up some?

KC wins tonight, Mets the next 2, KC in 6 games!

ChiTown
10-30-2015, 09:32 AM

Dumbasses !

It's NOT completely irrational for anyone to think that. I doubt it happens, but I can certainly understand why there are some that might think that way.

That said - KC in 6

mr. tegu
10-30-2015, 09:50 AM
I said before when the playoffs started that I wanted to face the Mets in the World Series. They won the worst division in the inferior league. They quite simply just aren't nearly as good as the Royals and I think Wednesday really showed just how much better the Royals are.

Their starting pitching was supposed to be their strength, but those numbers are propped up by playing in the national league. I think many people vastly underrated that aspect and didn't really take it into consideration. They had a pretty good second half but their offense is nothing like what the Royals just got through in the first two rounds. They depend so much on just a few players and this was hidden in their prior post season rounds by Murphy doing what he was doing. Most people knew that wasn't going to continue. Any hitter can beat you but the bottom of that lineup just doesn't do much to scare you.

The Royals have been the best team all season in the best league. Ventura pitched pretty well against Toronto and he is going to dominate tonight. I think 8 innings of 1 run ball and we cruise to an easy victory. I know people get worried because it is baseball and anything can happen in any game (and that is true) but we are the vastly superior team so I am very confident we win easy tonight and close it out tomorrow.

ROYC75
10-30-2015, 10:03 AM
Hey Mets fans, you look terrified!

Kidd Lex
10-30-2015, 10:10 AM
Imagine for a moment the starting pitchers switched towns and Ventura was a Met developed in their farm system and had the last two years he's had here. The narrative would be about how amazing Ventura is - imagine his numbers in the NL - he would be right up there as one of their best pitchers. He had a 3.20 era in 2013 and a 4.08 in 2014. In the NL and that division those numbers would be improved half a run imo.

All the pressure is squarely on the Mets - win one in Gotham and the Royals are golden.

Halfcan
10-30-2015, 12:13 PM
From day one, the Royals goal was to get back to the Series and win it this time. They are playing focused and inspired baseball. I am proud of this team. They never give up. So far they have beat the Mets in every aspect, pitching, hitting and defense.

Mets have a heartbreaking extra inning loss and then a complete beat down loss under their belts. I am sure the pressure is all on them. I like our chances and hope we can close them out for the Championship.

HC_Chief
10-30-2015, 12:36 PM
Nice analysis. :thumb:

I know one thing for certain: I AM GOING TO THE GAME TONIGHT BITCHES, AND I WILL BE REPPING KC!! WOO HOOO!!! CAPITAL LETTERS & STUFF!!!!

<font size=50,color="blue">LET'S GO, ROYALS!</font>

Why Not?
10-30-2015, 01:28 PM
Nice analysis. :thumb:

I know one thing for certain: I AM GOING TO THE GAME TONIGHT BITCHES, AND I WILL BE REPPING KC!! WOO HOOO!!! CAPITAL LETTERS & STUFF!!!!

<font size=50,color="blue">LET'S GO, ROYALS!</font>

Hell yeah! Be nice to hear some Royals cheers especially late once the hopes of Mets fans die off

DaWolf
10-30-2015, 02:02 PM
I should be confident but being a KC sports fan has me always bracing for the worst. I NEED the Royals to win two more games to convince me that we are not a cursed fan base in KC...

Lightrise
10-30-2015, 02:21 PM
I like the Royals chances, but I admit that I never bet against a NY team in NY in championship ballgames. So it's sweet when NY teams lose there. I would have pitched Ventura in KC and Cueto in NY but looking back its better the other way around, especially given the outcome. How do you prepare Ventura for this? Don't be surprised if the benches empty at some point tonight. I would laugh my ass off if he gets a hit.

RealSNR
10-30-2015, 05:30 PM
Yordano always scares the shit out of me. He can look like a beast up there in the first and give up 6 in the second.

He's also been prone to the Homerun ball and the last thing we need is to get Murphy or Duda some confidence.

I'm hoping he goes 5 dominant ones with some run support. I think we can close that up.

He was fine against Toronto. This is a big park. He'll be fine

ChiliConCarnage
10-30-2015, 05:40 PM
Think like it'll be close. Keep it in the park, Yo. Give the late game magic a chance to work

booger
10-30-2015, 08:12 PM
My thoughts are I think Joe Buck glued a goats pubes to his face

Miss Andrews can grow a better beard

kcxiv
10-30-2015, 08:47 PM
It might go to 7 games, but a sweep or a 4-1 was highly unlikely. Both teams are really good.

Iowanian
10-30-2015, 08:48 PM
Thoughts on game three.

Since the 3rd inning, it has been like taking a shit....in reverse.

Al Bundy
10-30-2015, 08:48 PM
Not going well and I got banned from the game thread.. lol

Rasputin
10-30-2015, 08:50 PM
Thoughts on game three. I'm going have to tell my grandkids about the day Raul Mondesi is the first player in MLB history to make his debut in the World Series.

Why Not?
10-30-2015, 08:54 PM
Man I was way off about soon to be perennial #3 pitcher Ventura. What an egg that guy laid. Then Ned decided to fold up shop early by pitching a dude who should only appear in 14-2 games

Al Bundy
10-30-2015, 08:55 PM
Man I was way off about soon to be perennial #3 pitcher Ventura. What an egg that guy laid. Then Ned decided to fold up shop early by pitching a dude who should only appear in 14-2 games

Yep, pretty disappointing.

Great Expectations
10-30-2015, 09:06 PM
Duffy should've gone 3-4 innings, but Ventura shit the bed tonight after being gifted 3 runs in 2 innings. I know cardinal fan hates momentum, but if Ace doesn't shit the bed I think we keep the pressure on Thor and had a chance to win this game 5-3 or 6-4. Instead we started trying to hit 3 run homers with nobody on base and had quick innings allowing him to go longer than I thought he would (there were guys in there pen warming up in the second inning).

Al Bundy
10-30-2015, 09:12 PM
Duffy should've gone 3-4 innings, but Ventura shit the bed tonight after being gifted 3 runs in 2 innings. I know cardinal fan hates momentum, but if Ace doesn't shit the bed I think we keep the pressure on Thor and had a chance to win this game 5-3 or 6-4. Instead we started trying to hit 3 run homers with nobody on base and had quick innings allowing him to go longer than I thought he would (there were guys in there pen warming up in the second inning).

Ventura was the sole reason the Royals lost.

Why Not?
10-30-2015, 09:15 PM
I agree. The media will blow Syndergaard and he was good, not great, we got 3 runs with 7 hits and a walk in 6 innings. This was a winnable game. Ventura shit himself and like I said, Ned kind of punted. Do the same thing to Matz tomorrow. I don't see the CY/Medlen combo getting crushed or anything tomorrow. All of our bullpen guys will be good to go, save Morales who Shouldn't appear again, and hopefully Madson finishes here. We can make this mimic the ALCS

Great Expectations
10-30-2015, 09:18 PM
Yep, with Madson (who had a great stretch earlier in the year) and Morales out of the equation our bullpen should be much better tomorrow. My main concern is our struggles vs lefties.

Baby Lee
10-30-2015, 09:19 PM

There you go. :thumb:

Looks like not even the full 9.

Bearcat
10-30-2015, 09:20 PM
There you go. :thumbs:

Looks like not even the full 9.

WHEW!

booger
10-30-2015, 09:21 PM
Wtf is a met anyway?

Baby Lee
10-30-2015, 09:22 PM
Wtf is a met anyway?

A city slicker.

Why Not?
10-30-2015, 09:22 PM
Wtf is a met anyway?

Short for Metropolatin or however you spell it

booger
10-30-2015, 09:24 PM
A city slicker.

Short for Metropolatin or however you spell it

East coast freaks! Stupid name for a baseball team

Why Not?
10-30-2015, 09:25 PM
Yep, with Madson (who had a great stretch earlier in the year) and Morales out of the equation our bullpen should be much better tomorrow. My main concern is our struggles vs lefties.

Well we did beat Sale and Keuchel this year. Plus pounded Price once in the regular season and basically beat him twice in the playoffs. Matz is 0-1 with a 3.72 era in the post season. This game will again be about if our pitcher(CY)can give us 4-5 shutout or 1 run innings

DRU
10-30-2015, 09:31 PM
That was a bummer.

Great Expectations
10-30-2015, 09:33 PM
If we don't win tomorrow whomever wins game 5 will probably win the series. I think we get one great start from Cueto/Ventura and one awful one, both have been either great or terrible.

Instead of using everyone a little bit tonight I wish we would've burned one guy and had multiple people very fresh. Hopefully Ned has his warlock voodoo going strong. Can we put him on a jet to NOLA real quick?

BigMeatballDave
10-30-2015, 09:39 PM
Wtf is a met anyway?

This is funny because my 72 yr old mother asked me the same thing. LOL

10-31-2015, 01:26 AM
Whats a Knick?

Yes I know it was short for knickerbockers but WTF kind of name is that for a basketball team.

Baby Lee
10-31-2015, 01:32 AM
Whats a Knick?

Yes I know it was short for knickerbockers but WTF kind of name is that for a basketball team.

Effing Dutch and their short pants. Goes back to when they settled New Amsterdam [NYC]. The Knickerbocker name was a common Dutch surname, and they dressed in the short pants, so that style of dress was named after it. Just like your underwear is called your knickers.
Came to be shorthand for longtime residents of NA/NY through many generations, kind of like the DAR, to differentiate from newer immigrants and migrants to the area as it became a metropolis.

http://blog.fonda.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/RebeccaFondaKnickerbocker.jpg

10-31-2015, 01:34 AM
Effing Dutch and their short pants. Goes back to when they settled New Amsterdam [NYC]. The Knickerbocker name was a common Dutch surname, and they dressed in the short pants, so that style of dress was named after it. Just like your underwear is called your knickers.
Came to be shorthand for longtime residents of NA/NY through many generations.

http://blog.fonda.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/RebeccaFondaKnickerbocker.jpg
I think they should be called the knickerbockers then. fuck New Yowk

NJChiefsFan
10-31-2015, 07:08 AM
East coast freaks! Stupid name for a baseball team

I believe they wanted to unite the Dodger and Giants fans after both teams left for California. Hence the mixed Dodger and Giants colors.

Prison Bitch
10-31-2015, 09:26 AM
Last year we led 2-1 also. Lost 3/4 to lose the Series.

BigMeatballDave
10-31-2015, 09:32 AM

They lost game 3 vs Toronto, too. Came back the next day and pushed their shit in.

Your point?

Why Not?
10-31-2015, 09:47 AM

Entirely different scenario. Last year we lost game 1 at home, allowing SF to meet their goal of a split of the first two, so when we went to SF and hit the usual goal of winning 1 of the mid 3 on the road, we had to be perfect in the final two including knowing we were facing Madbum at some point in game 7.

Bumgarner pushed our shit in all series. We've scored more runs off of every one of the Mets big 3 then we did off of Him in like 20 innings or whatever it is.

It would be huge to win one in NY since not doing so would leave no room for error in the last 2 games, but having seen the big 3 once, none of em scare me or I doubt any of the Royals like Madbum last year

srvy
10-31-2015, 10:03 AM
Wtf is a met anyway?

Metropolitan

They shortened it to Mets.

MahiMike
10-31-2015, 04:17 PM

Yeah I'm quite pissed at ventura. That guy is a thrower - not a pitcher. Need an upgrade there.

MahiMike
10-31-2015, 04:18 PM
Metropolitan

Metrosexuals

GloucesterChief
10-31-2015, 05:01 PM
Metropolitan

Just like the As are really the Athletics. Neither franchise uses their real name all that often.