PDA

View Full Version : Life Does anyone else have a Royals hangover now?

loochy
11-03-2015, 05:58 AM
I have that feeling that you get as a kid on the day after Christmas. I looked forward to watching the games every night. The win was incredible. But now I'm just kind of in a sports "no man's land". The Chiefs already blew it, the Mavs are not going to be good, and I don't like hockey. Daylight savings time just ended so I get to go to work in the dark and come home in the dark.

Sigh.

Bufkin
11-03-2015, 06:10 AM
I keep asking myself "what now?" It's kind of like when you finally bang that hot chick you've been going after for the last decade (not me personally since I'm pussy drought). I always told myself that a Royals World Series would be the peak of my sports fandom. Now that it's actually happened, I just want it again and again. Even still, if this is the only World Series victory I ever see from KC in my lifetime, it will be totally worth it.

Why Not?
11-03-2015, 06:54 AM
Loochy,

Great way to summarize that feeling. I'm elated we are the world champions. But, it's weird. After all those years of wishing baseball season would end already, the past few I wish there were more games. It's like the Royals were a part of my family this summer, and now that family member has gone on a vacation until March. I love all football so I'm good with sports but this was such an incredible ride, there is a bit of a void now that it is over. That being said, I'm gonna enjoy this and hope to have the same feeling this time next year!

BigMeatballDave
11-03-2015, 06:58 AM
Yep. :D

MahiMike
11-03-2015, 07:10 AM
Football has become boring now.

Fish
11-03-2015, 07:23 AM
I'm still physically hungover from the alcohol Sunday night. I think I slept 13 hours yesterday....

KCUnited
11-03-2015, 07:27 AM
The irony of moving away from KC the same year one of the teams wins a world championship was too much for me, so I went all in for October. I flew back for 6 postseason games, including the 2 WS games. Each time back was filled to the max with family, friends, and old haunts. It obviously paid off as it was without question the best month of my life. However, I'm oddly content, relieved, and excited to get back to relative sobriety, clean eating, repairing my bank account, and not thinking too much about sports in general.

Pilsner
11-03-2015, 07:29 AM
If you're into college basketball, I think that's starting to gear up.

stonedstooge
11-03-2015, 07:31 AM
<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qJTZrWv5Y9I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why Not?
11-03-2015, 07:33 AM
Football has become boring now.

It kinda has. I think I'll be fully into it again in a few weeks but it's not quite the same right now. I'm not sure if anything can match the emotional intensity of a baseball playoff run culminating in a WS championship

loochy
11-03-2015, 08:28 AM
I'm not sure if anything can match the emotional intensity of a baseball playoff run culminating in a WS championship

ESPECIALLY with the way the Royals did it. They brought nail biting excitement almost every game. The sad thing is the Chiefs are as unclutch as the Royals are clutch.

Sassy Squatch
11-03-2015, 08:30 AM
After the parade, probably.

loochy
11-03-2015, 08:32 AM

I don't live anywhere near KC so that's not an option for me. :(

wazu
11-03-2015, 08:40 AM

Yeah, I'm thinking it'll take another week for me. I need one full weekend of celebration before I ask"what now?" Probably helps if you live in KC.

Amnorix
11-03-2015, 08:47 AM
It is weird. I found it very strange to get up and do my normal routine going to work after winning the Super Bowl. I mean, the SB ends at like 10 p.m. or whatever and you go to bed at 1 am or whatever all amped up but eventually the alarm rings, and you just get up and go about your life.

I freely admit I'm massively spoiled. The number of championships Boston teams have compiled the last 14 years is ridiculous. And I have gained some perspective on it all. I'm still an ardent fan but I've definitely learned that whether any of those teams win championships or not doesn't put money in my bank account, or strengthen my relationship with my wife, or make me a better Dad.

But yeah, those memories don't really fade and should be cherished. You never know if/when you will ever get another championship.

sd4chiefs
11-03-2015, 08:55 AM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3jWXCzBB0Do" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KC native
11-03-2015, 09:05 AM
I have that feeling that you get as a kid on the day after Christmas. I looked forward to watching the games every night. The win was incredible. But now I'm just kind of in a sports "no man's land". The Chiefs already blew it, the Mavs are not going to be good, and I don't like hockey. Daylight savings time just ended so I get to go to work in the dark and come home in the dark.

Sigh.

You can jump on the Spurs bandwagon now. :D

loochy
11-03-2015, 09:07 AM
You can jump on the Spurs bandwagon now. :D

F the Spurs and their stupid frenchy PG and stupid Splitter with his stupid name and their crater face coach and their dirty river

Why Not?
11-03-2015, 09:19 AM
It is weird. I found it very strange to get up and do my normal routine going to work after winning the Super Bowl. I mean, the SB ends at like 10 p.m. or whatever and you go to bed at 1 am or whatever all amped up but eventually the alarm rings, and you just get up and go about your life.

I freely admit I'm massively spoiled. The number of championships Boston teams have compiled the last 14 years is ridiculous. And I have gained some perspective on it all. I'm still an ardent fan but I've definitely learned that whether any of those teams win championships or not doesn't put money in my bank account, or strengthen my relationship with my wife, or make me a better Dad.

But yeah, those memories don't really fade and should be cherished. You never know if/when you will ever get another championship.

I like your perspective. When I was a younger fella, sports seemed pretty life and death. Now, it's different. I celebrated Sunday night, ordered a bunch of championship gear, and am working a half day so I can watch the parade. Afterwards, life goes on. But, I do think it is huge for the city and the morale of people and will forever be a source of pride. Plus getting to see guys we have "known" since they were kids, win it all, is special. And you are 100% correct when you say this won't make me a better father. But it sure was fun buying Royals championship stuff with my sons!

loochy
11-03-2015, 09:21 AM
Did anyone sportscry when the Royals won?

I got tears when the Mavs won.

KC native
11-03-2015, 09:27 AM
F the Spurs and their stupid frenchy PG and stupid Splitter with his stupid name and their crater face coach and their dirty river

Splitter isn't on the Spurs anymore.

http://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/assets/4636903/cockypop2.gif

loochy
11-03-2015, 09:31 AM
Splitter isn't on the Spurs anymore.

http://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/assets/4636903/cockypop2.gif

Then F Ginobli with his flops and his giant nose

rabblerouser
11-03-2015, 09:34 AM
Only thing left to chase it is Chiefs football.

Ugh.

KC native
11-03-2015, 09:55 AM
Then F Ginobli with his flops and his giant nose

Don't forget his bald spot. LMAO

Amnorix
11-03-2015, 01:39 PM
I like your perspective. When I was a younger fella, sports seemed pretty life and death. Now, it's different. I celebrated Sunday night, ordered a bunch of championship gear, and am working a half day so I can watch the parade. Afterwards, life goes on. But, I do think it is huge for the city and the morale of people and will forever be a source of pride. Plus getting to see guys we have "known" since they were kids, win it all, is special. And you are 100% correct when you say this won't make me a better father. But it sure was fun buying Royals championship stuff with my sons!

Absolutely. I enjoyed the championship as much for my son that really likes football as for myself. He was born in '04 so he doesn't have any memory of the first championships BB/Brady won. This time he was almost 11 so he definitely knew what was going on.

Dayze
11-03-2015, 03:13 PM
Watching the rest of the NFL after the WS will be like chasing a nice 25yr old scotch with a Natty Light.

NWTF
11-03-2015, 05:36 PM
ESPECIALLY with the way the Royals did it. They brought nail biting excitement almost every game. The sad thing is the Chiefs are as unclutch as the Royals are clutch.

That is so True. That playoff loss to Indy a couple years ago, with that big of a lead in the 3rd qtr. Only a true choke artist team could blow that game.

The Chiefs and Royals are polar opposites in crunch time when their backs are against the wall. For the Royals someone always steps up make a play. For the Chiefs someone always steps up to choke the game away.

Pablo
11-03-2015, 05:41 PM
Watching the rest of the NFL after the WS will be like chasing a nice 25yr old scotch with a Natty Light.I'm just going to watch college football for another month or so to get my football fix. Then it's on to college basketball until it's baseball season again.

Can't remember a time in my life that I cared so little about the NFL in general. Thanks a whole lot to the Chuefs.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-03-2015, 05:53 PM
I'm still high as fuck from winning the Series. It's not let up even a little bit. I keep watching clips, reading articles, rival boards, etc. I can't come down and it's a great fucking problem to have. Maybe it's because I'm so old, and haven't had a team win a title since I was 13. I dunno, but I don't care either. It's sweet, and I can't get enough of it. I'm savoring every last fucking drop of this feeling.

KevB
11-03-2015, 05:55 PM
Great call Loochy, my wife, kids and I were just saying --- what are we supposed to do with our nights now? It's been an event every night for almost a month watching these guys. Comparison to Christmas is so true, feels just like that.

ghak99
11-03-2015, 06:03 PM
I really don't have a desire to give a shit about anything right now. The NFl could go on strike tomorrow, no fucks given. Satan leading a herd of my Ex's couldn't ruin this feeling.

The Royals fucking won it all!

Brock
11-03-2015, 06:28 PM
Still putting a smile on my face. Still can't quite believe it. Spontaneous laughter when I remember it happened.

lewdog
11-03-2015, 06:38 PM

The board needs to know your wife hates sports because of you.

Just saying.

Why Not?
11-03-2015, 07:03 PM
The board needs to know your wife hates sports because of you.

Just saying.

Thanks for selling me out. Lol. That's more about her then me. Plus she's full of shit. She watches baseball all the time. Granted, in the other room

Eleazar
11-03-2015, 07:04 PM
I don't want to go back to watching the Chiefs after this. We ought to have some more time to enjoy having a team that can win a title.

The Royals seemed least likely to ever do it, but we loved them anyway. Now that they have made good it's all the sweeter

Dayze
11-03-2015, 07:09 PM
I don't want to go back to watching the Chiefs after this. We ought to have some more time to enjoy having a team that can win a title.

The Royals seemed least likely to ever do it, but we loved them anyway. Now that they have made good it's all the sweeter

Same here. I just don't know how the NFL/Chiefs hand hold my attention like this past month of baseball has. And I'm not even a baseball guy. NFL sucks shit, and watching the Chiefs is even worse. 2 more months of meaningless football. Yay.

petegz28
11-03-2015, 07:18 PM
I don't know what to do right now...no baseball...no Royals.....you never want to see a winning team have to stop playing. It's like watching a game when you blow someone out, you just want it to continue.

As happy as I am that we won the World Series, I am just as sad to see this fairy tale season come to an end.

RedDread
11-03-2015, 08:10 PM
It's been amazing to me to see KC completely transform over the course of the last 9 years. The Royals were an afterthought and now wherever I go there is someone wearing gear.

On the other hand it sort of sucks. In 2013-14 this team felt like the best kept secret among a small cadre of dedicated fans. I was able to buy playoff tickets at the stadium last year with only 1,000 people waiting in line for fuck's sake.

I hope this inspires generations of young fans to root for this team for years to come. I want to hear stories of those kids who went to the parade today when I'm sitting in a home somewhere.

This is the type of city where embracing a winner feels genuine. I don't think we'd be spoiled by it even if we won 2 or 3 in a row. But, I'm sad because with the economics of baseball, luck, injuries etc...I don't know if I'll ever get to see a better team in my lifetime. Even one that wins a WS or Superbowl. It's bittersweet.

Jerok
11-03-2015, 08:17 PM
Just think about how amazing we're going to feel that first game in April

siberian khatru
11-03-2015, 08:28 PM
I woke up this morning with a pang of anxiety thinking it was a Royals game day. That's how much my mind and body had been conditioned over the last month. But I quickly realized that it was over, and that I had five months to sit back, relax and enjoy this.

lewdog
11-03-2015, 08:34 PM
I definitely do. It felt very weird to see it end. A few days after and something feels missing today. What a ride but also the very real reality that I just witnessed something I may only ever see 1-2 times in my entire life. There really is nothing like how this team played this year. The comebacks, the exciting young players, seeing an entire town rejuvenated.

It's weird to explain it but I definitely feel a bit depressed today. It's the type of run you never want to see end because you know just how rare it was to witness.

ROYC75
11-03-2015, 09:12 PM
Just think about how amazing we're going to feel that first game in April

And we get the Mets, at the K!

Until then, Chiefs ? Naw, what a drag that is going to be!

KU Basketball ? Wonderful, but still a few weeks away!:rolleyes:

No Pussy, gotta go back to chicken chocking! Yeah, that's the ticket! Now, where did I put that damn thing?

Rausch
11-03-2015, 09:15 PM
It's been amazing to me to see KC completely transform over the course of the last 9 years. The Royals were an afterthought and now wherever I go there is someone wearing gear.

I went in to pay on my loan today and the guy at the 1st desk says "Oh, look, another new Royals fan."

I smiled.

I'm a FRONT-RUNNER for wearing Royals gear.

Let that sink in...:)

11-04-2015, 05:22 AM
Unfortunately yes. When are the Chiefs going to finally give us this fucking experience. NEVER. Yet I'll keep watching every year like an idiot thinking the results will be different.