PDA

View Full Version : Football Niners tanking rest of season to get 1st pick in draft?

King_Chief_Fan
11-04-2015, 10:17 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/15840/with-blaine-gabbert-at-qb-49ers-not-expected-to-win-another-game

rabblerouser
11-04-2015, 10:18 AM
Yes. They have terrible QBs and want to actually do something about it.

Jim Tomsula is the perfect sacrificial coach, too.

Mr. Laz
11-04-2015, 10:22 AM
So who in the draft is worth sacrificing the season for?

The Franchise
11-04-2015, 10:25 AM
Hopefully there is a small school OT with immense potential that they are able to draft.

salame
11-04-2015, 10:25 AM
Hopefully there is a small school OT with immense potential that they are able to draft.

seems to be the best format for future success

l4z4rd
11-04-2015, 10:34 AM
They want to offload him in the offseason and don't want to risk him getting injured.

rabblerouser
11-04-2015, 10:38 AM
They want to offload him in the offseason and don't want to risk him getting injured.

No, that's RGIII

(the other overhyped spread-option QB who can't read NFL defenses to save his life...or career)

RunKC
11-04-2015, 10:42 AM
I think we'll win probably 6 or 7 games putting us around the 10-12th pick.

If we are for sure out of the playoff race in December, play Aaron Murray. We won't do that though.

I have a horrible feeling deep in my stomach that Andy will once again peddle Alex out there next year and not get us a QB.

The Franchise
11-04-2015, 10:42 AM
No, that's RGIII

(the other overhyped spread-option QB who can't read NFL defenses to save his life...or career)

No....that's also Kaepernick.

Iczer
11-04-2015, 10:44 AM
Is it time to start preparing for another 49er's retread? How long before Kaepernick is traded to KC for three 3rd round picks?

KC native
11-04-2015, 10:45 AM

If we are for sure out of the playoff race in December, play Aaron Murray. We won't do that though.

I have a horrible feeling deep in my stomach that Andy will once again peddle Alex out there next year and not get us a QB.

That would be the perfect spot to draft Boykin and get a proven winner at QB.

In the fourth quarter, Boykin is 23 of 31 for 340 yards and four touchdowns, 10.97 yards per attempt and 10.75 yards per dropback. He’s added 17 carries for 177 yards (10.41 yards per carry) and three touchdowns with 52.9 percent of the carries going for five yards or more and six runs of 10 yards or more. His 98.9 fourth-quarter QBR leads all Power 5 quarterbacks.

In the red zone, Boykin is 29 of 41 for 246 yards, including 16 touchdown passes without an interception. He’s added 15 carries for 78 yards and five touchdowns. His 96.5 QBR in the red zone is third among Power 5 quarterbacks.

On third-down plays, Boykin is 35 of 59 for 560 yards, with four touchdown passes, one interception, 9.49 yards per attempt and 9.22 yards per dropback. He’s added 26 carries for 131 yards, (5.0 yards per carry) and two touchdowns. Only Texas Tech’s Patrick Mahomes (97.8) has a better QBR on third down among Power 5 quarterbacks.

Chief_For_Life58
11-04-2015, 10:46 AM
there goes connor cook

RunKC
11-04-2015, 10:47 AM
That would be the perfect spot to draft Boykin and get a proven winner at QB.

No thanks. I would rather not draft Diet RG3.

KC native
11-04-2015, 10:48 AM
No thanks. I would rather not draft Diet RG3.

Boykin is better than RG3. He actually reads defenses. He has better numbers. He doesn't get hurt.

The Franchise
11-04-2015, 10:49 AM
there goes connor cook

Thank God.

Dave Lane
11-04-2015, 10:50 AM
Is it time to start preparing for another 49er's retread? How long before Kaepernick is traded to KC for three 3rd round picks?

I might give 8 8th round picks for him.

KC_Lee
11-04-2015, 10:55 AM
Best case scenario for KC now; Stanford's Kevin Hogan in round 2.

We all know it's going to be a fatty in round 1.

KC native
11-04-2015, 10:58 AM

That's a terrible scenario.

The Franchise
11-04-2015, 11:00 AM

Best case scenario is drafting top 10 and selecting Paxton Lynch.

RunKC
11-04-2015, 11:01 AM
Boykin is better than RG3. He actually reads defenses. He has better numbers. He doesn't get hurt.

Everything I've read about this kid is that he ran the no huddle spread offense in college without making reads or progressions and Patterson brought that to TCU to make him more comfortable.

He's not being prepared to play in the NFL.

RunKC
11-04-2015, 11:03 AM
Best case scenario is drafting top 10 and trading up for Paxton Lynch or Jared Goff.

FYP

We won't get either of those guys if we stay put. SF, CHI and HOU all need a QB and will be in front of us.

KC_Lee
11-04-2015, 11:03 AM
That's a terrible scenario.

Show me one scenario where KC takes a QB in round #1? I don't care the draft position, top 10, mid range (11 - 20) or end of round #1. KC will not draft a QB in round 1.

This team cannot and will not break the narrative of Alex Smith as the starting QB. Reid is tied to him to tightly and will not do anything that would jeopardize that fact.

I'm not saying Hogan is the next coming, just saying that is the best we can hope for as Chiefs' fans.

KC native
11-04-2015, 11:05 AM
Everything I've read about this kid is that he ran the no huddle spread offense in college without making reads or progressions and Patterson brought that to TCU to make him more comfortable.

He's not being prepared to play in the NFL.

Patterson brought the spread in so TCU could compete in the Big 12.

Boykin struggled when we had a dogshit OC that was stuck in the 80's. He ran a spread offense in high school so when we moved to the spread offense he flourished.

Boykin audibles and checks out of called plays based on his reads. He did a lot less of that last year due to it being a new offense. This year he knows the playbook front to back and has the freedom to check out of things that aren't going to work. He also does progressions really well.

The Franchise
11-04-2015, 11:07 AM
FYP

We won't get either of those guys if we stay put. SF, CHI and HOU all need a QB and will be in front of us.

I'm fine with trading up. I think SF goes Goff since he's local. We just need to jump the other teams.

O.city
11-04-2015, 11:10 AM
The more I read and see, I don't think a qb goes top 10 this year

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-04-2015, 11:36 AM

We don't need to waste a 1st rd pick on a QB. Waste. We have Murray and they resigned Bray for a reason.

We need to draft some huge talented OL to fix this offense.

KC_Lee
11-04-2015, 11:47 AM
We don't need to waste a 1st rd pick on a QB. Waste. We have Murray and they resigned Bray for a reason.

We need to draft some huge talented OL to fix this offense.

Hello from Nashville TN, home of two back to back 1st round OL picks.

Chance Warmack (2013 10th overall) & Taylor Lewan (2014 11th overall)

The line is sieve and got their new franchise QB hurt and his back damn near good killed last week.

Oh the last truly great drafted OL for KC? That would be the 3rd rounder Will Shields...

Discuss Thrower
11-04-2015, 11:56 AM
Hello from Nashville TN, home of two back to back 1st round OL picks.

Chance Warmack (2013 10th overall) & Taylor Lewan (2014 11th overall)

The line is sieve and got their new franchise QB hurt and his back damn near good killed last week.

Oh the last truly great drafted OL for KC? That would be the 3rd rounder Will Shields...

Yup. If your first round picks have a 50%+ chance of busting, might as well reach for a position that has a more immediate impact on the field of play.

Jon Baldwin sucked and was probably an instance of Pioli trying to outsmart the league, but I'd much rather reach for a WR in a general sense than not unless you're looking at a ridiculously can't-miss OL/DL prospect that's fallen to your draft slot.

The Chiefs are going to be the same loser franchise they've been almost the entirety of their existence next spring and will take a tackle to pave the way for letting Fisher go instead of paying him franchise LT money instead of taking a chance at a QB in the first round should one of that caliber fall to 15th-20th.

Because Chuefs

saphojunkie
11-04-2015, 11:59 AM
Our best OL was drafted in the second round, not first overall.

Paxton Lynch in the first, no matter the cost.

Saccopoo
11-04-2015, 12:30 PM

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/slides/photos/003/519/626/hi-res-Preview_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

manchambo
11-04-2015, 12:41 PM
Isn't it better to do it on purpose, as opposed to inadvertently like the Chiefs are doing it?

Eleazar
11-04-2015, 12:45 PM
They've lost 6 out of 7. Tanking would be to leave Krapernick out there.

KC_Lee
11-04-2015, 12:49 PM
Our best OL was drafted in the second round, not first overall.

Paxton Lynch in the first, no matter the cost.

Actually 3rd round if you are referring to Shields but your point is well taken.

Saccopoo
11-04-2015, 12:51 PM
Show me one scenario where KC takes a QB in round #1? I don't care the draft position, top 10, mid range (11 - 20) or end of round #1. KC will not draft a QB in round 1.

This team cannot and will not break the narrative of Alex Smith as the starting QB. Reid is tied to him to tightly and will not do anything that would jeopardize that fact.

I'm not saying Hogan is the next coming, just saying that is the best we can hope for as Chiefs' fans.

They can absolutely break that narrative. However, it's foolish to think that Smith won't be starting in 2016 even if they draft a QB in the first round. Nor would you really want a noob signal caller under center next season. Reid's offense is relatively complex and it will take a season of adjustment for a rookie to immerse themselves into the Chiefs offensive narrative. Smith gets it for another season and if you are an understanding fan, that's exactly how you want it to go even if they draft a QB high in 2016.

And if they truly like a guy, like Paxton Lynch (who is absolutely surging in the eyes of the media and the casual fan), I can see them working trades to make a higher selection happen. You like a guy, you make it happen to go get them.

However, there are a number of pretty solid QB prospects in this draft. I personally like Paxton Lynch and did so prior to his mercurial rise to fame after beating Ole Miss this season, but that doesn't mean that the guys after him are chopped liver.

Christian Hackenberg of Penn State was, at one time, viewed as a potential #1 overall selection, being favorably compared to Andrew Luck his freshman year - which was absolutely stellar. However, the system or the surrounding pieces didn't do him any favors his sophomore year, where he almost looked like he regressed, but he's having a very good year this year (redshirt junior) and had the Nittany Lions sitting at a surprising 7-2 so far in 2015. He's showing excellent poise and composure this season and still has a huge arm to go along with that pro ready frame. More of a pocket passer, but can get out and scramble when required.

Kevin Hogan of Stanford suffered the fate of being the guy to follow Andrew Luck. However, he has progressed every year and, like the aforementioned Hackenberg, he's got a NFL body and a big arm with good athleticism. His numbers don't knock your socks off, but he's in a system that features the ground game first and is playing with a dynamic threat in McCaffery, who is getting all the publicity right now. But he would be an excellent QB in Reid's system and has the arm talent and game understanding to develop into a real NFL level guy.

Cook and Goff are both very solid prospects who have both enjoyed being mentioned as potential "first QB taken in the 2016 NFL Draft" type of players.

If there is a guy that they like, I have no doubts that they will go and get him. Dorsey has to understand that Smith is beginning to fade in terms of accuracy and arm strength (at least it's quite noticeable this season so far) and has to know what is on the roster behind him. Daniel is a FA after the season and Murray looks to be the heir apparent to #1 clipboard holder. Bray hangs around for arm strength alone.

Even if the Chiefs don't pick in the top 10, they will have a shot at a pretty good signal caller who should be able to make the transition to the NFL.

If you remember the '83 draft, Elway was the runaway #1 pick, but most of the guys that followed were pretty solid pro prospects and many turned out to have excellent careers.

There might not be three Hall of Famers in the 2016 QB class, but it's a pretty solid one through five selection and there are a couple of dark horses in this draft as well that will be available in the mid to late rounds.

Bowser
11-04-2015, 12:54 PM
If ever there was a year the Chiefs were going to get a QB in round 1, this is the year. Get the kid and let him back up Alex for what essentially should be his last year in KC, all the while learning how to prepare to be an NFL QB from Alex and Reid. If they choose not to do that this year, then I might actually start to believe it will never happen again.

RunKC
11-04-2015, 01:03 PM
Yup. If your first round picks have a 50%+ chance of busting, might as well reach for a position that has a more immediate impact on the field of play.

Jon Baldwin sucked and was probably an instance of Pioli trying to outsmart the league, but I'd much rather reach for a WR in a general sense than not unless you're looking at a ridiculously can't-miss OL/DL prospect that's fallen to your draft slot.

The Chiefs are going to be the same loser franchise they've been almost the entirety of their existence next spring and will take a tackle to pave the way for letting Fisher go instead of paying him franchise LT money instead of taking a chance at a QB in the first round should one of that caliber fall to 15th-20th.

Because Chuefs

Amazing that people would still take Geno Smith over Eric Fisher.

We would be an even bigger laughingstock with that clown when we have a LT who's actually playing solid football for a hopeful future QB.

Eleazar
11-04-2015, 01:05 PM

We would be an even bigger laughingstock with that clown when we have a LT who's actually playing solid football for a hopeful future QB.

Exactly

Discuss Thrower
11-04-2015, 01:13 PM

Dee Milliner would have been defensible. Or Sammy Watkins. And at the time, Sheldon Richardson.

It wasn't a trinary option of Joekel/Fisher/Geno Smith...

RunKC
11-04-2015, 01:22 PM
Dee Milliner would have been defensible. Or Sammy Watkins. And at the time, Sheldon Richardson.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Eric Fisher has the 11th best pass blocking efficiency among NFL OTs that played &gt;50% of their team&#39;s snaps (per <a href="https://twitter.com/PFF">@PFF</a>). <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash">#Chiefs</a></p>&mdash; Brandon Kiley (@BKSportsTalk) <a href="https://twitter.com/BKSportsTalk/status/659821619922141184">October 29, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Eric Fisher is playing as well as any pick in the top 10 of that draft right now. He's played well this year.

It was the right pick.

Valiant
11-04-2015, 02:08 PM

Umm. We are the chiefs 2nd or higher.

KCTitus
11-04-2015, 03:05 PM

Yeah, no kidding...no spread offense QB's for me, thank you. I want a pocket passer QB that plays in a pro style offense.

That said, would Chase Daniel be starting today?

DaneMcCloud
11-04-2015, 03:18 PM

Dee Milliner has been garbage. Richardson had baggage and has already been suspended by the league.

And finally, Sammy Watkins wasn't drafted until 2014, you fucking dumbass twat.

Discuss Thrower
11-04-2015, 03:54 PM
Dee Milliner has been garbage. Richardson had baggage and has already been suspended by the league.

And finally, Sammy Watkins wasn't drafted until 2014, you fucking dumbass twat.

I just realized tonight this there is no reason to watch the Royals and Chiefs every move. My very young daughters were confused by my emotions and reactions, as they've never seen me that way. In some ways, it was kind of scary for them, which hit me pretty hard.

I've been a die hard supporter of both teams since I left in February 1993 but it's time for me to acknowledge my current responsibilities. Reading books and watching educational programs is more important than a watching baseball team 2,000 miles a way in a city in which I don't live.

Pretty humbling..

Mr. Laz
11-04-2015, 06:16 PM
I'll say it again, NFL teams should discount the ability to run when evaluated quarterbacks.

If not consider even consider it a negative.

Running gives QB's an option other than using their eye to find their secondary and third options. They don't learn to read defenses as well or even seem to learn their offensive schemes as well. Maybe their coaches just don't use as complicated scheme will running QB's.

Either way, running isn't a good thing for a college QB when it comes to transitioning to the NFL.

Mr. Laz
11-04-2015, 06:20 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Eric Fisher has the 11th best pass blocking efficiency among NFL OTs that played &gt;50% of their team&#39;s snaps (per <a href="https://twitter.com/PFF">@PFF</a>). <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash">#Chiefs</a></p>&mdash; Brandon Kiley (@BKSportsTalk) <a href="https://twitter.com/BKSportsTalk/status/659821619922141184">October 29, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Eric Fisher is playing as well as any pick in the top 10 of that draft right now. He's played well this year.

It was the right pick.
and that's after having start of his career interrupted by injury and the missing of his first 2 OTA/TC. He's missed so much development time it's not really even his 3rd season yet.

If the team hadn't made him play his entire 1st season injured, he would be much more developed right now.

notorious
11-04-2015, 06:43 PM
It's amazing how much Gabbert sucks.

NJChiefsFan
11-04-2015, 08:42 PM
I'm fine with trading up. I think SF goes Goff since he's local. We just need to jump the other teams.

I bet they wish they were using that reason the last time they took a QB high.

jonzie04
11-04-2015, 09:18 PM

Sammy Watkins wasn't in the draft. Oops looks like Dane already let you know. :clap:

DaneMcCloud
11-04-2015, 09:30 PM

Fuck off, child.

I hope you flunk out of college, cockbag.

Indian Chief
11-04-2015, 10:59 PM
More than anything else, the 49ers are so many players away from being good that picking 1st or 10th makes no difference for them.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-04-2015, 11:56 PM
Tanking doesn't exist. Kap is just that bad. It took Curtis Painter for Indy to get Luck, Gabbert can definitely seal number one for the Niners.

Rausch
11-05-2015, 08:11 AM
If the 49'ers were trading for OUR b/u QB, well, then they'd be tanking it...

Tombstone RJ
11-05-2015, 10:10 AM
they may be tanking, Gabbert sucks and they won't play Kaep. I think it's more financial than wanting the number 1 pick because I think they don't have to pay Kaep unless he gets injured, if he gets hurt, they have to pay him big time.

RunKC
11-05-2015, 10:18 AM
49ers set up a great contract that is essentially a year-by-year contract for Kaepernick IIRC.