PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Tire help

BossChief
11-11-2015, 08:52 AM
I have a 2011 Nissan Frontier and I need to replace 2 of the tires on it and a friend of mine sold me 2 barely used ones for dirt cheap (100 for the pair) and let me know they aren't exactly the same size.

The stock tires are 265-70-r16

The ones he sold me are 265-75-r16

I brought them to Farm n fleet to have them put on and they called me back saying I really shouldn't put them on my truck because it can screw up my drivetrain being they aren't the same size as the other 2.

I had them hold off on putting them on and figured I'd ask you guys if that's a legit concern (the truck is 4wd).

I guess I've always had matching tires, but the deal was too good to pass on and if I need to, I can resell them.

Baby Lee
11-11-2015, 09:07 AM
I had them hold off on putting them on and figured I'd ask you guys if that's a legit concern (the truck is 4wd).

The more sophisticated your system, the more important that specs are adhered to. This is particularly true with tire sizes and AWD/4WD. The transmission/transaxle is rotating at a certain speed, distributing power to the wheels. It's doing so expecting that each rotation will propel each tire a certain distance. If your tires are different sizes, they travel slightly different distances per revolution. If there's no slip feedback, that difference has to be absorbed by the system by either dragging the smaller tires a little bit to keep up with the bigger ones, or stressing the transmission/transaxle when each tire's distance to revolution ratio is different.

If you value your transmission, and do a lot of highway driving [where the differential builds up because the system can't correct like it could slipping on gravel or dirt or coming off the ground, I'd match the tires.

Simply Red
11-11-2015, 09:09 AM
as long as there's clearance regarding tire height to bumper seam gap - you'll be fine.

Simply Red
11-11-2015, 09:09 AM
your tire will have 5% actually less than that - increase in height - shouldn't be any other conflictions.

Simply Red
11-11-2015, 09:12 AM
so here - if your truck is NOT lowered - let it rip - you'll be just fine, in fact - your truck will hook the road better (grip)

The more height - the better the grip. Due to gravity and physics alone.

Simply Red
11-11-2015, 09:13 AM
Do you have any Football questions while I'm here?

ptlyon
11-11-2015, 09:14 AM

What are your thoughts on why the drop kick is barely used anymore?

Baby Lee
11-11-2015, 09:16 AM
What are your thoughts on why the drop kick is barely used anymore?

Flutie retired.

BossChief
11-11-2015, 09:19 AM

You seem funny.

PS Thank you for the morning chuckle

kepp
11-11-2015, 09:34 AM
I'd assume that having different sized tires when in 4wd would give you similar results as sharp turning on dry pavement when in 4wd. You know how the tires "jerk" because the two front ones are traveling different distances when the drivetrain is expecting them to travel the same distance?

Tombstone RJ
11-11-2015, 09:42 AM
edit: I misread your OP, I think you will be ok IF you keep both tires on the same axel and I'd keep them on the rear axel. If you rotate them, just switch sides (hopefully they are not directional tires).

kepp
11-11-2015, 09:50 AM
edit: I misread your OP, I think you will be ok IF you keep both tires on the same axel and I'd keep them on the rear axel. If you rotate them, just switch sides (hopefully they are not directional tires).

If he's in 2wd, yes. But when in 4wd the drivetrain is going to want all four tires moving the same distance per rotation.

Tombstone RJ
11-11-2015, 09:57 AM
If he's in 2wd, yes. But when in 4wd the drivetrain is going to want all four tires moving the same distance per rotation.

Yah, that might be a problem. That being said, I see 4WD trucks driving around with different size tires on. For example, they will have one tire with absolutely no tread on it (causing it it to spin faster) and on the other side they will have a brand new tire with tread on it, so in theory, even if they are the same size tires, one is spinning faster (or slower) than the other because of tread wear. Now, long term, this will affect the differential and turning and all that and also, the people who are doing this basically look like they don't give a crap because it's an old jeep or whatever. But yah, when the truck is in 4WD there might be issues.

kepp
11-11-2015, 10:02 AM
I think the gist of it is that you'd be better off finding another two cheapo tires of the same size.

ROYC75
11-11-2015, 10:05 AM
2wd, same axle, OK. Do not mix them up on rotation.

4wd, engaged, not good.

Baby Lee
11-11-2015, 10:25 AM
Yah, that might be a problem. That being said, I see 4WD trucks driving around with different size tires on. For example, they will have one tire with absolutely no tread on it (causing it it to spin faster) and on the other side they will have a brand new tire with tread on it, so in theory, even if they are the same size tires, one is spinning faster (or slower) than the other because of tread wear. Now, long term, this will affect the differential and turning and all that and also, the people who are doing this basically look like they don't give a crap because it's an old jeep or whatever. But yah, when the truck is in 4WD there might be issues.

That's why I talked about sophistication. A lot of the 4WDs you see with janky tires are big beefy Detroit steel that can take all kinds of abuse. As you get into computer control and integrated systems, this kind of stress, particularly the more chronic it is [highway driving, with the prolonged high traction rotational differential] burns little expensive things out.

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-11-2015, 12:24 PM
I think the gist of it is that you'd be better off finding another two cheapo tires of the same size.

Why can't he just find one to match one of the two ?

Simply Red
11-11-2015, 12:25 PM
Why can't he just find one to match one of the two ?

perhaps Used tires? :shrug:

Buehler445
11-11-2015, 12:31 PM
Don't. You'll shred your transfer case. Unless you never use 4wd.

BossChief
11-11-2015, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys.

SAUTO
11-11-2015, 08:39 PM
Page 8-41 of your owner's manual tellsyou everything you need to know. Basically don't do it

Saccopoo
11-11-2015, 10:41 PM
Total no-no on an AWD/4WD vehicle.

As previously mentioned, will squirrel up the transfer case, especially in highway driving with AWD/4WD engaged.

Can also lead to a fucked up ABS braking system at it will see differing wheel speed rotations and the speed sensors will send varying information to the system and your breaking will be under uneven pressure.

No bueno amigo.

pr_capone
11-12-2015, 12:48 AM
I have a 2011 Nissan Frontier and I need to replace 2 of the tires on it and a friend of mine sold me 2 barely used ones for dirt cheap (100 for the pair) and let me know they aren't exactly the same size.

The stock tires are 265-70-r16

The ones he sold me are 265-75-r16

I brought them to Farm n fleet to have them put on and they called me back saying I really shouldn't put them on my truck because it can screw up my drivetrain being they aren't the same size as the other 2.

I guess I've always had matching tires, but the deal was too good to pass on and if I need to, I can resell them.

Per my little brother...

You do not want to put those tires on your vehicle. The wrong size will cause excessive wear in the transfer case. Going to the wrong size is bad enough but most shops wont recommend putting on the same size tire that has a greater difference than 4/32 in tread on a vehicle with an AWD/4WD system.

19now11
11-12-2015, 02:26 AM
that would be the case if the bigger number (tire hight) was different. the 75 is the width and id assume it wouldnt hurt your tcase so long as u kept em on the same axle...

Simply Red
11-12-2015, 06:39 AM
that would be the case if the bigger number (tire hight) was different. the 75 is the width and id assume it wouldnt hurt your tcase so long as u kept em on the same axle...

no it's the height - not the width.

Baby Lee
11-12-2015, 06:51 AM
no it's the height - not the width.

Depends on which number changes. The 265 is the millimeter width, and the 70/75 is the percent of the width the height of the sidewall is. So in this case where only the the percentage changes, the height indeed changes. But it's conceivable that say a 245-75 is shorter than a 265-70, or a 255-75 is taller than a 265-65

Simply Red
11-12-2015, 08:23 AM
Depends on which number changes. The 265 is the millimeter width, and the 70/75 is the percent of the width the height of the sidewall is. So in this case where only the the percentage changes, the height indeed changes. But it's conceivable that say a 245-75 is shorter than a 265-70, or a 255-75 is taller than a 265-65

yes - that's exactly what i'm saying.

Simply Red
11-12-2015, 08:23 AM
bout to go to work - any football related questions?

Buehler445
11-12-2015, 08:29 AM
bout to go to work - any football related questions?

Fuck the Donks?

duncan_idaho
11-12-2015, 08:41 AM
Side note/question:

Anyone else tried to buy just two tires for a FWD vehicle recently?

I had a car I was driving into the ground recently, that had a flat on one of the rear tires. I tried to purchase just a new front set of tires, as I rarely take this thing on the highway, and almost never drive more than 10 miles at a time (I work from home). I had two tire shops refuse to sell me just a pair of tires and put them on the front axle, because of new recommendations from tire manufacturers to always put the best tread on the rear axle, even in FWD vehicles, to prevent hydro planing.

Anyone else run into this (I had it happen at NTB and a local shop)? Internet research backs up their story, but the whole things seems pretty ludicrous to me, for a few reasons:

1) having the best tread on the front axle of a FWD car is going to help you in many more situations than just worrying about hydro planing.

2) even if you're buying a set of tires, in a FWD vehicle, the front tires are always going to wear faster, right? So how do you ever rotate a set and get the most life out of it?

kepp
11-12-2015, 09:37 AM
Side note/question:

I had a car I was driving into the ground recently, that had a flat on one of the rear tires. I tried to purchase just a new front set of tires, as I rarely take this thing on the highway, and almost never drive more than 10 miles at a time (I work from home). I had two tire shops refuse to sell me just a pair of tires and put them on the front axle, because of new recommendations from tire manufacturers to always put the best tread on the rear axle, even in FWD vehicles, to prevent hydro planing.

Anyone else run into this (I had it happen at NTB and a local shop)? Internet research backs up their story, but the whole things seems pretty ludicrous to me, for a few reasons:

1) having the best tread on the front axle of a FWD car is going to help you in many more situations than just worrying about hydro planing.

2) even if you're buying a set of tires, in a FWD vehicle, the front tires are always going to wear faster, right? So how do you ever rotate a set and get the most life out of it?

...3) it's my freaking car

Tombstone RJ
11-12-2015, 12:13 PM
Side note/question:

Yah, this is bs IMHO. Tire shops want you to buy 4 new tires, period. I've had many FWD cars over the years (growing up in Colorado) and if my two best tires are on the front, everything is fine. That being said, you don't want trash tires on the back (for breaking reasons, the rear tires tend to lock up first in slick conditions, causing the rear end to slide around) and you really need to know how do drive properly in snow and ice conditions.

But yah, one of the reasons FWD cars are SO DARN AFFORDABLE compared to other cars or 4WD vehicles I've owned is because you almost never need to buy 4 new tires at a time (if you don't have the $). You rotate the two best tires on the car to the back axel and you put two new tires on the front.

Super easy, very cheap fix to tires wearing out on FWD car.

Bugeater
11-12-2015, 12:27 PM
Side note/question:

So have them put them on the back, and then bring the vehicle home and rotate them in your driveway.

Buehler445
11-12-2015, 12:34 PM
Side note/question:

You are 100% right. You always want the best tread in the front even in a RWD situation. That is the most catestrophic if the tire fails and the front wheels do most of the braking so you need the best rubber in the front.

Tell them to do it your way or you will find someone that will.

Buehler445
11-12-2015, 12:35 PM
Yah, this is bs IMHO. Tire shops want you to buy 4 new tires, period. I've had many FWD cars over the years (growing up in Colorado) and if my two best tires are on the front, everything is fine. That being said, you don't want trash tires on the back (for breaking reasons, the rear tires tend to lock up first in slick conditions, causing the rear end to slide around) and you really need to know how do drive properly in snow and ice conditions.

But yah, one of the reasons FWD cars are SO DARN AFFORDABLE compared to other cars or 4WD vehicles I've owned is because you almost never need to buy 4 new tires at a time (if you don't have the $). You rotate the two best tires on the car to the back axel and you put two new tires on the front.

Super easy, very cheap fix to tires wearing out on FWD car.

When I was in college I had absolute rags on the back and I hydroplaned one time in five years, and I got it back pretty quickly. Pretty good tradeoff IMO.

SAUTO
11-12-2015, 01:20 PM
Side note/question:

personally i think its crazy talk. i understand where they are coming from BUT i would want the better tires on the driving/steering end of a front wheel drive car...

SAUTO
11-12-2015, 01:22 PM
BUT if you rotate them consistently you should be pretty close to wearing thee whole set out at the same time...

duncan_idaho
11-12-2015, 01:43 PM
Yeah, thought it was silly. I brought them home and rotated them myself.

NTB tried to claim legal liability if they didn't install them that way. I was kind of stuck (late on Sunday), so I went ahead and bought them.

But the whole thing does come across as a scam to sell more tires. Glad I'm not crazy (seems to be the consensus).

Radar Chief
11-12-2015, 03:00 PM
Yeah, thought it was silly. I brought them home and rotated them myself.

NTB tried to claim legal liability if they didn't install them that way. I was kind of stuck (late on Sunday), so I went ahead and bought them.

But the whole thing does come across as a scam to sell more tires. Glad I'm not crazy (seems to be the consensus).

Well, at least not on this topic. ;)

19now11
11-12-2015, 03:09 PM
my bad. i hate being wrong....guess thats why im an alex supporter. nothing to see here. move along.:banghead:

ptlyon
11-12-2015, 03:16 PM
my bad. i hate being wrong....guess thats why im an alex supporter. nothing to see here. move along.:banghead:

You're just somebody that fails at life is all

19now11
11-12-2015, 04:24 PM
hey i still have a chance. alex aint in a wheelchair yet. im riding this bitch all the way to the end.

Radar Chief
11-12-2015, 04:47 PM
hey i still have a chance. alex aint in a wheelchair yet. im riding this bitch all the way to the end.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wcW_Ygs6hm0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Boise_Chief
11-12-2015, 05:01 PM
The 265 75 is one inch larger in diameter 31 in as opposed to 30 in. It isn't a great idea.