PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Recipes you know by heart

Fire Me Boy!
11-15-2015, 07:53 AM
What dishes have you cooked so many times you know it by heart? I'm not talking stuff you wing and make up on the spot; I'm talking things you know so well you can replicate with very good consistency every time - so well you could give good instructions and amounts so someone else could replicate with similar results?

Please include the recipe.

Thanks.

BigMeatballDave
11-15-2015, 08:28 AM
Alfredo

1 pint of heavy cream. 1lb of finely grated Parmesan. 1 stick of butter.

Heat cream on medium, add butter. When butter is melted, add cheese. Continue on medium heat stirring almost constantly until mixture is smooth. Enjoy.

kstater
11-15-2015, 08:49 AM
Biscuits and gravy

2c flour
Tbs baking powder
1/2 tbs salt
1/2 tbs sugar
8 tbs butter
2/3 c milk

1/4 package sausage
Handful flour
Bit of butter
Milk
Salt
Pepper

Make biscuits, put in oven. About time done cleaning up the biscuits turn the cast iron skillet on high and render sausage. Cook gravy. Biscuits done about 2 minutes after gravy is done

cabletech94
11-15-2015, 08:51 AM
I have a holiday sweet and spicy nut mix (go ahead and laugh).

1 container of cashews. I container of peanuts. 16 oz of pecans.
1 egg. 1 cup brown sugar. 2 tablespoons of cinnamon. 1 Teaspoon (and a half) cayenne pepper.

mix well. oven that sombitch at 350 for 20 minutes, stir halfway through. let dry for like an hour. profit.

as I've grown older, I've learned the concept of parchment paper. makes clean up a breeze, and will actually help speed up that hour dry time.

Great Expectations
11-15-2015, 08:59 AM
Ingredients:
3 Tbs. olive oil
3 3/4 lb. bone-in beef short ribs (6 to 8 pieces)
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 celery stalks
2 carrots
1 medium onion ( I like to use a Spanish one)
2 or 3 garlic cloves
1 can tomato paste
3 bay leafs
1/2 bottle of Cabernet

Season beef with salt and pepper and sear all sides in cast iron Dutch oven and remove.

Purée garlic, celery, carrots, and onion. Add salt and put in the bottom of the Dutch oven. Cook for 2-3 minutes, scrape off the bottom and do it again. Add tomato paste and cook for another couple of minutes. Next add red wine and scrape the bottom clean.

Add water to cover the rest of the meat and put in the oven at 350 for 4 hours. Serve over rice.

Fansy the Famous Bard
11-15-2015, 09:00 AM
Mac and cheese.

2 boxes of noodles. Boil until soft
Dump in strainer to remove excess water.
In bowl add boiled noodles milk and cheese mix.
Stir for... Oh crap I forgot how long to stir. My recipe sucks.

Perineum Ripper
11-15-2015, 09:10 AM
Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches

Mennonite
11-15-2015, 09:17 AM

Do you put the peanut butter and jelly on separately, or do you mix them both together before adding them to the bread? I'm a mixer.

GloucesterChief
11-15-2015, 09:19 AM
Tomato gravy
Salad shirazi
Caprese salad
White clam sauce
Alfredo sauce
Lasagna

BigMeatballDave
11-15-2015, 09:19 AM

Hey, dick. What kind of jelly do I use?

:)

BigMeatballDave
11-15-2015, 09:21 AM
Tomato gravy
Salad shirazi
Caprese salad
White clam sauce
Alfredo sauce
LasagnaThis is far too much detail.

ChiefRocka
11-15-2015, 09:35 AM

throw a sliced banana on there.

scho63
11-15-2015, 09:39 AM
Lemon water

1 glass of water
1 wedge of lemon
6 ice cubes

Stir well

Serve chilled

Enjoy

Simply Red
11-15-2015, 09:52 AM
Too many to list. :)

GloucesterChief
11-15-2015, 09:53 AM
They are all pretty simple and I don't use measurements.

Tomato gravy:
Tomato Paste
Tomato Puree
Water
Basil
Oregano
Fresh crushed Garlic
Salt
Optional:
Olive oil
Meat

Optional: brown meat in olive oil in bottom of stock pot unless using seafood.

Add first three ingredients to a pot with a 1:1 puree to water and 2:1 puree to paste. Mix well. Add spices to taste. Bring to simmer and cook until desired consistency.

Salad Shirazi
Cucumber
Tomato
Red Onion
Dried Mint
Lime juice
EVOO
Salt and Pepper

Dice veggies and mix. Mix lime juice, mint, and olive oil. Mix veggies and lime juice mixture. Salt and pepper to taste.

Caprese Salad:

Cherry tomatoes
Fresh Mozzarella
Fresh Basil
EVOO
Optional:
Balsamic vinegar reduction.

Slice mozzarella in chunks, halve cherry tomatoes, and pick fresh basil. Mix tomatoes mozzarella, and basil with olive oil. Drizzle with balsamic reduction.

White Clam Sauce

Clams
Clam Juice
Olive oil
Fresh crushed garlic
White wine
Fresh cracked black pepper
Dried basil

Saute garlic in olive oil. Add all other ingredients but clams. Mix well, add clams and cook for about 10 minutes.

Alfredo
Heavy whipping cream
Parmesan Cheese
Pecorino Cheese
Fresh cracked black pepper

Bring whipping cream to near simmer, mix in cheese and stir well to dissolve. Add black pepper

Lasagna

Lasagna noodles
Tomato gravy
Meat
Ricotta
Aged Mozzarella or any other Italian cheese like Provolone or Romano.

Cook lasagna noodles till al dente and brown meat. Layer noodles, tomato gravy, meat, and ricotta till you reach the top of the baking dish. Top with mozzarella. Bake at 400 until cheese is browned.

Perineum Ripper
11-15-2015, 09:54 AM
Do you put the peanut butter and jelly on separately, or do you mix them both together before adding them to the bread? I'm a mixer.

I like to put the peanut butter on one slice and jelly on the other slice then combine for magical deliciousness

Perineum Ripper
11-15-2015, 09:56 AM
Hey, dick. What kind of jelly do I use?

:)

I prefer Smuckers Grape..there is also a Amish store close by that make homemade jelly that is really good

I have also heard of people using strawberry jelly..I say trial and error to find the perfect combo for you

rockymtnchief
11-15-2015, 11:45 AM
I prefer Smuckers Grape..there is also a Amish store close by that make homemade jelly that is really good

I have also heard of people using strawberry jelly..I say trial and error to find the perfect combo for you

We have an Amish store up here. They have a lot of tasty things in their store. They need to have a sampler day though. Some of their products sound good, but I'm not spending money on something I haven't tried or has been suggested to me.

BigMeatballDave
11-15-2015, 11:56 AM

Actually, I prefer Jam. :)

If I can't find Jam I just let the jelly get warm.

Living in Ohio, there are no shortage of Amish stores, but I don't think I've had Amish jelly.

If I buy something Amish, it's cheese.

Smucker's is in Ohio. Orrville, to be precise. I lived there from 2000-2002.

rockymtnchief
11-15-2015, 12:37 PM

Living in Ohio, there are no shortage of Amish stores, but I don't think I've had Amish jelly.

Do you know the difference between jam and jelly?:D

BigMeatballDave
11-15-2015, 12:39 PM

Not specifically, no. Jam is easier to spread. :)

GloucesterChief
11-15-2015, 12:41 PM
Not specifically, no. Jam is easier to spread. :)

Jam is made with whole fruit usually just straining out the seeds and skin. Jelly is made with just fruit juice.

Jewish Rabbi
11-15-2015, 12:42 PM

I can't jelly my dick in your ass!

rockymtnchief
11-15-2015, 12:46 PM
I can't jelly my dick in your ass!

:clap:We get a lot of miles out of that joke at work.

Fire Me Boy!
11-15-2015, 01:06 PM
I have a holiday sweet and spicy nut mix (go ahead and laugh).

1 container of cashews. I container of peanuts. 16 oz of pecans.
1 egg. 1 cup brown sugar. 2 tablespoons of cinnamon. 1 Teaspoon (and a half) cayenne pepper.

mix well. oven that sombitch at 350 for 20 minutes, stir halfway through. let dry for like an hour. profit.

as I've grown older, I've learned the concept of parchment paper. makes clean up a breeze, and will actually help speed up that hour dry time.

No laughing. I love spiced nuts. That does look pretty spicy though. I do a spiced pecan that's similar - 1 lb. pecans, 1 egg white, 1 c. brown sugar, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, 1 tsp. vanilla. 350 for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.

And yeah, parchment paper is a must for just about everything.

Fire Me Boy!
11-15-2015, 01:06 PM
Alfredo

1 pint of heavy cream. 1lb of finely grated Parmesan. 1 stick of butter.

Heat cream on medium, add butter. When butter is melted, add cheese. Continue on medium heat stirring almost constantly until mixture is smooth. Enjoy.

That's a shitload of parm, but I'm gonna give that try. I love me some alfredo.

Fire Me Boy!
11-15-2015, 01:16 PM
White Corn Chili
1 lb. ground chuck
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1 can pinto or black beans, partially drained
1 can white corn, drained (or 1/2 package of frozen)
1 jar salsa

Brown the beef and drain. Add everything to a skillet, bring to a boil, cover, drop heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.

Pasta Carbonara
5-6 oz. pancetta, prociutto, or bacon, diced small
3-5 medium cloves of garlic, sliced thin
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
4 Tbsp. good olive oil
2 oz. dry white wine
1 lb. rigatoni
Big handful of parmesan
Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
4 egg yolks
Reserved pasta water

Do all your prep first. Once you start this sauce, this goes really quick. Get your water boiling and drop the pasta. Cook to your liking. Will probably take 12+ minutes. When it's about 1/2 way done, heat the oil on medium. While cold, add the meat and cook until the fat is rendered. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper, and cook for 30 seconds, stirring the entire time. Deglaze with the wine. Bring to a boil for 1 minute, drop heat all the way to low.

Meantime, using starchy pasta water - about 1 cup - slowly whisk water into the egg yolks to temper them.

Drain pasta, return to stock pot. Pour oil mixture, cheese, and pepper over the pasta. Slowly pour in the egg yolks WHILE STIRRING VIGOROUSLY for a full minute.

GloucesterChief
11-15-2015, 01:18 PM
That's a shitload of parm, but I'm gonna give that try. I love me some alfredo.

It is missing black pepper.

Fire Me Boy!
11-15-2015, 01:21 PM
It is missing black pepper.

Alfredo doesn't necessarily have pepper. IF you insist on it, it should be white pepper so the black flakes don't detract from the pure color of the sauce. Otherwise it looks like sawmill gravy on pasta.

mdchiefsfan
11-15-2015, 01:53 PM
Spaghetti sauce:

1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can of tomato sauce
1lb of ground beef/ground turkey
1lb of mild Italian sausage
1 packet of spaghetti seasoning
1/2 yellow onion finely diced.

Bufkin
11-15-2015, 01:59 PM
Water.

Water.

Bufkin
11-15-2015, 02:01 PM
Tuna tartare is a simple recipe I learned as a kid that I still make to this day. By memory of course.

3 3/4 pounds very fresh tuna steak
1 1/4 cups olive oil
5 limes, zest grated
1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
2 1/2 teaspoons wasabi powder
2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons hot red pepper sauce
2 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 1/2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
1 1/4 cups minced scallions, white and green parts (12 scallions)
3 1/4 tablespoons minced fresh jalapeno pepper, seeds removed
5 ripe Hass avocados
1 1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds.
Grated parmesan to top it off

Perineum Ripper
11-15-2015, 02:32 PM
We have an Amish store up here. They have a lot of tasty things in their store. They need to have a sampler day though. Some of their products sound good, but I'm not spending money on something I haven't tried or has been suggested to me.

Awesome sample day would be awesome..I'm like you with seeing things I want to try but don't want to spend the money..I don't know about the stores around you but the one here is fairly expensive

Perineum Ripper
11-15-2015, 02:34 PM

I like the Pepper Jack cheese they have here..I also buy lots of fruits and vegetables from the store..I get deli meat from time to time

I like jam on my biscuits and corn bread

Saccopoo
11-15-2015, 02:39 PM
Pizza dough, bread (French, Italian, Naan, etc.), pierogies, lobster thermidor, chicken piccata, lasagna, chicken tikka masala, cheesecake, ribs, pork butt (rub, mop sauce, bbq sauce), shark 'n bake, the mother sauces, etc.

I haven't looked at a recipe in a decade plus.

rockymtnchief
11-15-2015, 02:49 PM
Awesome sample day would be awesome..I'm like you with seeing things I want to try but don't want to spend the money..I don't know about the stores around you but the one here is fairly expensive
The one here buys a lot of scratch-and-dent/near expiration date products that are name brands and are priced very well. The actual Amish products are a little pricey. I'd spend the extra cash if I knew I'd like their product. I've bought a couple products that sounded tasty, but let me down. I also bought a few products out of curiosity and was happily surprised.

If they had a sample day, there's about 20 things I'd test. If I liked them I'd definitely pay extra for them.

Jewish Rabbi
11-15-2015, 03:05 PM
:clap:We get a lot of miles out of that joke at work.

What's the difference between a garbanzo bean and a chick pea?

Saccopoo
11-15-2015, 03:17 PM
What's the difference between a garbanzo bean and a chick pea?

No one ever paid to have a garbanzo on their face.

rockymtnchief
11-15-2015, 03:33 PM
No one ever paid to have a garbanzo on their face.

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

GloucesterChief
11-15-2015, 04:25 PM
Alfredo doesn't necessarily have pepper. IF you insist on it, it should be white pepper so the black flakes don't detract from the pure color of the sauce. Otherwise it looks like sawmill gravy on pasta.

I prefer it with pepper to break up the color and to give a bit different flavor than just cheese.

sd4chiefs
11-15-2015, 06:44 PM
grilled cheese sandwich.

Buzz
11-15-2015, 07:04 PM
Spaghetti sauce:

1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can of tomato sauce
1lb of ground beef/ground turkey
1lb of mild Italian sausage
1 packet of spaghetti seasoning
1/2 yellow onion finely diced.

Lord, I pray for Mr. mdchiefsfan, may he walk through the valley of the shadow of death.

BigMeatballDave
11-15-2015, 07:58 PM
I like the Pepper Jack cheese they have here..I also buy lots of fruits and vegetables from the store..I get deli meat from time to time

I like jam on my biscuits and corn bread

There is an Amish cheese factory I visit every year in Holmes County, which is kind of between Columbus and Cleveland.

I go hungry because they put out free samples of every flavor they make, which is around 100.

tooge
11-15-2015, 08:04 PM
I make Ciopino, which is a tomato based seafood stew.

tooge
11-15-2015, 08:09 PM
Recipe is to sauté onions and celery and garlic in Evo. Add white wine and clam juice. Salt, pepper, red chili flakes to taste. Cook about ten minutes then add diced maters, crab leg pieces, mussels, and cod chunks. Cook fifteen minutes then add shrimp and cook another five minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve in sourdough bread bowls. If I'm feelin rich, I'll add small lobster tails as well.

eDave
11-15-2015, 08:18 PM
Quite good:

One can Bushes Chili beans
http://www.bushbeans.com/sites/default/files/styles/product_hero_2x/public/product/603-2918-hero-pinto-mild.jpg?itok=ksISKXBG
One can Chicken (drained)
http://ll-us-i5.wal.co/dfw/dce07b8c-2a64/k2-_76d4db4b-0ac2-4d8a-9ce4-4e33dfa43241.v1.jpg-3258e016ab1d0038d0ca120d268bc149f027ef55-webp-450x450.webp
Add some hot picante
http://texas-wholesale.com/images/products/358383%20-2168-PACE-PICANTE-HOT-8oz-.jpg
Heat, simmer, then wrap in a tortilla with cheese, lettuce and Pico

Poor Mans Buritto

SAUTO
11-15-2015, 08:25 PM
Chili

Buzz
11-15-2015, 08:34 PM
Tacos

Cook a pan of bacon.
Brown 1lb of hamburger and drain grease.
Heat 1 can of refried beans.
Put half of bacon grease, chopped bacon in both with taco seasoning and a half can of diced tomatoes with green chilies in each.
Simmer beans and cook the hamburger on high till seared in bits.

Chop lettuce, tomatoes.
Heat taco shells in oven and tortillas in microwave.
Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream and salsa.

BucEyedPea
11-16-2015, 04:22 PM
What dishes have you cooked so many times you know it by heart? I'm not talking stuff you wing and make up on the spot; I'm talking things you know so well you can replicate with very good consistency every time - so well you could give good instructions and amounts so someone else could replicate with similar results?

Please include the recipe.

Thanks.

a roux for any cream sauce

Donger
11-16-2015, 04:25 PM
Hungarian Goulash

cron912
11-16-2015, 04:29 PM
Boiled Water

Fill pan with water
Turn on burner
Place pan on burner
Watch water until it begins to boil

Stewie
11-16-2015, 04:32 PM
Several bread recipes
Slow-cooked chicken/noodle soup
Meatloaf
Breakfast sausage and spicy sausage
Homemade shredded hash browns
Potato Salad
Cole slaw
Swedish pancakes

I'm sure there are more. I'll have to think about it.

J Diddy
11-16-2015, 07:05 PM
Baked potato
peanut butter and jelly
ramen noodles
Campbell's chicken noodle soup
Frosted Mini wheats with 2% milk
Instant Pudding
Instant Jello
Microwaveable burritos
Tostino's Pizzas
Ribeye grilled
Sliced Cucumber With vinegar
Hamburger
Chicken legs

Just Passin' By
11-16-2015, 07:11 PM
Hungarian Goulash

Feel free to share that one with the class.

Fire Me Boy!
11-16-2015, 07:14 PM
Tostino's Pizzas

Totino's.

Squalor2
11-16-2015, 08:54 PM
Hungarian Goulash

fyp you misspelled Honey Grahams.

Squalor2
11-16-2015, 09:26 PM
tallow or lard.

beef fat or pork fat. the best fat of either animal comes from the belly and neck.

1- allow the fat to rest and cool for 3 days if fresh.

2- remove all of meat and connective tissue from the fat.

3 skillet those pieces for your dog or throw away.

4- add the cleaned fat to a pot.

5- set temperature to medium low or as close to 140 you can get.

6- render uncovered til fat is melted. the key word is melted. tallow should look like canola oil. pork will look like weak milk.

7- allow to cool to room temp/next day. refrigerate until solid. cut the impurities off the top and bottom

8- portion and keep in the fridge for 6 months or freeze for years.

cooking a burrito to crispy in a little tallow is gorgeous. homemade lard is the genius to biscuit making

Fire Me Boy!
11-16-2015, 09:33 PM
tallow or lard.

beef fat or pork fat. the best fat of either animal comes from the belly and neck.

Don't know about tallow, but widely considered the best lard is leaf lard, which comes from around the kidneys.

Squalor2
11-16-2015, 09:43 PM
haven't heard of leaf lard. ill look that up.

Squalor2
11-16-2015, 09:54 PM
Don't know about tallow, but widely considered the best lard is leaf lard, which comes from around the kidneys.

you're right, that is the best place to get lard from a pig.