PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Hey Hockey Nerds....

gblowfish
11-18-2015, 01:02 PM
I've kind of wondered why we don't have a Missouri Mavericks choice on the CP for local sports talk? It's KC only hockey team, and its a minor league team in the Islander's farm system. Is it because they're minor league? I'd guess so... Anyway, my wife got two freebies in the IPL private suite for last night's game, Mav's won 4-1. I'm not a big hockey fan, but my sister who lives in St. Louis LOVES the Blues and is a season ticket holder. I had some hockey questions from watching the game; maybe you long term fans can answer for me, as I am just a casual fan:

Question 1: The Mav's goalie banged his stick against the ice in front of the net three or four times. He smacked the ice like a beaver smacking his flat tail on the water. Why would he do that? What's it mean? I think it meant somebody was about to be released from the penalty box, but not sure...

Question 2: Both teams changed lines about every minute to 90 seconds. Is that normal? These guys can only skate for 90 seconds before they get tired?

Question 3: Why does the Zamboni have head lights? Do they scrape the ice in the dark???

Inquiring minds want to know.

And, are many of you Maverick fans, and do you go to a lot of games? I'd be more enthusiastic about them if the mascot wasn't a horse and their team colors weren't blue and orange. Sorry, that color scheme would burn my skin if I tried wearing it....

ptlyon
11-18-2015, 01:04 PM
Fuck the Blues

alpha_omega
11-18-2015, 01:05 PM
Ask one of our Canadian members.

Sorry, i forgot we even had a hockey team. I am of no help otherwise.

gblowfish
11-18-2015, 01:05 PM
Fuck the Blues

Well, I guess that's better than "Fuck your Sister...."

ptlyon
11-18-2015, 01:06 PM
Well, I guess that's better than "**** your Sister...."

Haven't seen your sister :shrug:

rockymtnchief
11-18-2015, 01:07 PM
#1 It could mean time is ending in a penalty or the period. It could also mean someones on your ass. I'd have to see it to know.

#2 90 second shifts are long. Some teams change 45-60, depending on the situation. Trust me, 90 seconds at 100% is pretty tough.

#3. Some arenas are outdoors, so I assume they just build them all with headlights. Not sure.

KCUnited
11-18-2015, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the reminder to neg bricks.

Bearcat
11-18-2015, 01:22 PM
Question 1:
What rockymtnchief said. acts as a warning so they don't get caught in a breakaway situation, but there are other reasons as well.

Question 2:
Not necessarily an issue for one shift, even though you're talking about what can be a lot of stop/start and physical play in 30-45 seconds, but they have to also keep their legs under them for the entire game and sometimes for consecutive nights.

Question 3: I had no idea there was a zamboni.com ...http://zamboni.com/about/fun-facts/

Predarat
11-18-2015, 01:24 PM
Also for #3 during pregame and sometimes intermission the arena lights are off for the pre game stuff, and sometimes they dark the lights for intermission.

KC_Lee
11-18-2015, 02:37 PM
Question 1: The Mav's goalie banged his stick against the ice in front of the net three or four times. He smacked the ice like a beaver smacking his flat tail on the water. Why would he do that? What's it mean? I think it meant somebody was about to be released from the penalty box, but not sure...

Yes, signaling the end of a penalty, but not all goalies do this.

Question 2: Both teams changed lines about every minute to 90 seconds. Is that normal? These guys can only skate for 90 seconds before they get tired?

Not really a change for players being tired but more strategy at times. And as some have said not every shift is full replace.

Question 3: Why does the Zamboni have head lights? Do they scrape the ice in the dark???

See Predarat's response, plus the same folks that put head lights on the Zamboni are the same people that put headlights on riding lawn mowers. :D