PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs have begun talks with Jaye Howard

RunKC
11-21-2015, 10:17 AM
Chiefs have begun talks with Jaye Howard on long-term deal

Howard is in the midst of a career season

Howard is a free agent after the season, says he wants to return

BY TEREZ A. PAYLOR

The Chiefs have started the process of keeping one of their best young defensive players in the fold for years to come, as multiple sources told The Star on Friday the team has begun talks with defensive tackle Jaye Howard on a long-term deal.

Howard, 26, has emerged as a force on the Chiefs’ defensive line this season, recording 40 tackles — the fourth-most on the team and the most among any Chiefs defensive lineman or edge rusher. Howard also has six tackles for loss, tied for second-most on the team, and 2 1/2 sacks while playing all along the defensive front.

Howard is listed at 6 feet 3 and 301 pounds, but he said in August that he has bulked up to 330 pounds after playing last season between 300 and 310. The extra weight has not come at the expense of his quickness off the ball — which has always been a weapon of his — and he’s used the combination to disrupt opposing offenses since the start of the season.

According to Pro Football Focus, Howard is the league’s 14th-best interior defensive lineman, which puts him several spots ahead of the Chiefs’ next high-rated player, Allen Bailey, who checks in at No. 49.

Howard has played a total of 405 snaps in nine starts this year, the second-most of any interior lineman on the team, behind only Bailey (440).

Howard is also rated as the league’s third-best interior defensive lineman against the run, ahead of stars such as St. Louis’ Aaron Donald, Arizona’s Calais Campbell and Houston’s J.J. Watt. The Chiefs’ run defense has been significantly better this year, too: After ranking 28th last season, the Chiefs currently check in at No. 8 with 97.7 yards allowed per game.

Howard represents one of John Dorsey’s best finds since Dorsey took over as the Chiefs’ general manager before the 2013 season. The Chiefs claimed Howard — a fourth-round pick of the Seattle Seahawks out of Florida in 2012 — off waivers shortly before the 2013 regular season. The Seahawks possessed a deep defensive line at the time, and proceeded to win the Super Bowl that season.

But Howard has been better than any Seattle interior lineman this season, at least according to Pro Football Focus, and given his age and production, Howard figures to earn a significant salary on the open market if he is allowed to hit free agency this season.

There is hope for a deal, though it remains to be seen if one will get done. Howard’s agent is Drew Rosenhaus, who also represents Bailey — someone the Chiefs signed to a four-year, $24 million extension last season — so the two sides have shown an ability to work together and forge a deal.

If a deal were to get done — and again, it remains to be seen if it will — it would give the Chiefs two big-money interior linemen, with a third, nose tackle Dontari Poe, set to become a free agent soon, as well.

But earlier this year, the Chiefs exercised a fifth-year option in Poe’s contract for 2016 worth approximately $6.1 million, so that gives them at least another year to get something done with the 6-foot-3, 346-pound Poe, who missed the entirety of training camp due to a herniated disk in his back but has still appeared in eight of the Chiefs’ nine games this season.

On Friday, Howard deferred all questions about his contract situation to his agent, though he did say that while any extension would have to make good financial sense — he does have a wife and twin newborns — he certainly prefers to return to Kansas City.

“I want to be here,” Howard said. “These guys are like family, man. These are my boys, man, and I like going to war with my brothers. Bailey, (Dontari) Poe, Nick Williams, (Mike) DeVito. I respect them on the field and we’re good. I know they’ve got my back, and they know I’ve got their back.”

Howard said he also feels comfortable with the coaches and the organization, and would like to be a building block for a defense that currently sits at No. 20 in the NFL with 341.4 yards allowed per game.

“I like Coach (Andy) Reid. I love playing for him,” Howard said. “Love this organization. We’re building something. We’ve got young players. Sooner or later, we’re going to be one of the top-10 (defenses) in the league.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article45675840.html#storylink=cpy

TLO
11-21-2015, 10:20 AM
Good.

TLO
11-21-2015, 10:23 AM
Step 1: Howard at NT
Step 2: Move Poe over to replace Devito at DE
Step : ?????
Step 4: Profit

rambleonthruthefog
11-21-2015, 10:23 AM
"trade him for a third" CP

Shaid
11-21-2015, 10:30 AM
Good, he's performed pretty well.

Sofa King
11-21-2015, 10:32 AM
good deal

RealSNR
11-21-2015, 10:34 AM
"trade him for a third" /Blackbob

FYP

Perineum Ripper
11-21-2015, 10:36 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/UwSoH9niSpvZC/giphy.gif

MotherfuckerJones
11-21-2015, 10:38 AM
Get er done! Ironic because I asked Aaron wilson on Twitter if there talks.

Simply Red
11-21-2015, 10:56 AM
good deal

I like your avatar.

BossChief
11-21-2015, 10:59 AM
He deserves a deal that keeps him in KC through his prime years.

The way he and Bailey have improved the last couple years is very impressive and a testament to their work ethics, the ability of our coaching staff to develop them and it's great to have a front office in place the proactively looks to retain its best players.

mdchiefsfan
11-21-2015, 11:12 AM
Say what you will about Dorsey, but he certainly acknowledges and retains talent.

It's quite refreshing in comparison to the "we want players who want to be Chiefs" approach by Pioli.

Sandy Vagina
11-21-2015, 11:14 AM
Excellent.. and about damn time. He's a keeper. Just hope the contract is not beyond reason. Bailey-Howard-Poe is an elite 34DL, and I hope it stays that way. Even if we have to get cheaper in the secondary (Smith/Berry).. I still believe that the war is won and lost in the trenches.

saphojunkie
11-21-2015, 11:16 AM
Step 1: Howard at NT
Step 2: Move Poe over to replace Devito at DE
Step : ?????
Step 4: Profit

I believe what you are looking for is:

Step 3: Draft Paxton Lynch.

MotherfuckerJones
11-21-2015, 11:26 AM
Now is the time to lock this defense up. Draft a QB who'll be cost effective his first contract. Keep this defense together. Sean Smith included

RunKC
11-21-2015, 11:29 AM
I think Berry will absolutely stay. I just can't see him leaving. I also think that DJ will stay for cheap and Tamba will want to come back, as well as Abdullah.

I just can't see these guys leaving. Dorsey sent a message to most of them that he believed in them and he will take care of them if they perform. I think that's something that players love.

For some reason, I think we will keep Jeff Allen too. Andy has always had a penchant for him. He was one of the guys Andy invited for a private visit before the draft in Philly and he's seemed to always had faith in him.

Now Donald Stephenson can go fuck himself and GTFO

Chiefshrink
11-21-2015, 11:30 AM
Say what you will about Dorsey, but he certainly acknowledges and retains talent.

I get your point and I realize that you can't be a perfect GM making all the right moves all the time but how does Dorsey explain letting David Irving get away and playing balls to the wall for Dallas this last month finally getting a chance and on the cusp of starting?:doh!:

RealSNR
11-21-2015, 11:32 AM
I think Berry will absolutely stay. I just can't see him leaving. I also think that DJ will stay for cheap and Tamba will want to come back, as well as Abdullah.

I just can't see these guys leaving. Dorsey sent a message to most of them that he believed in them and he will take care of them if they perform. I think that's something that players love.

For some reason, I think we will keep Jeff Allen too. Andy has always had a penchant for him. He was one of the guys Andy invited for a private visit before the draft in Philly and he's seemed to always had faith in him.

Now Donald Stephenson can go fuck himself and GTFO

Allen's been great this year. He's done whatever we needed him to do at either guard or tackle.

Stephenson can go chill with Linkenbach and McGlynn on the Island of Misfit AIDS

MotherfuckerJones
11-21-2015, 11:33 AM
I get your point and I realize that you can't be a perfect GM making all the right moves all the time but how does Dorsey explain letting David Irving get away and playing balls to the wall for Dallas this last month finally getting a chance and on the cusp of starting?:doh!:

Happens sometimes is all I can say. I didn't want him gone. There tough cuts sometimes. Especially when you have a good deep defense.

Chiefshrink
11-21-2015, 11:39 AM
Especially when you have a good deep defense.

This can be the only reason you mention here. I guess we are the DL Seattle Seahawks of 2013 for 2015.

RunKC
11-21-2015, 11:41 AM

With Dorsey's history here, I have all the faith in the world that he will find talented players. He's proven that every single year.

This is already a top 10 talented team and it's year 3 with a shortage of draft picks in rd 2 to start off his time here.
Imagine what another year or two of Dorsey's scouting can bring?

BossChief
11-21-2015, 11:46 AM
Berry
Smith
Howard
Allen

Keep those 4 and I'll be happy.

Keeping DJ and Abdullah would be a bonus.

hometeam
11-21-2015, 11:49 AM
Howards been beastin. Lock em up now before he gets too important.

KCCHIEFS27
11-21-2015, 11:51 AM
I was wondering why I saw drew rosenhaus in town

BossChief
11-21-2015, 12:09 PM
I was wondering why I saw drew rosenhaus in town

Hold on.

You saw him in KC?

If you aren't bullshitting, that's a really great sign.

penbrook
11-21-2015, 12:10 PM
Howard will get a deal similar to Baileys

penbrook
Tamba will either player another year or retire. He's not gonna play for any other team

MotherfuckerJones
Hold on.

You saw him in KC?

Hook line and sinker

KCCHIEFS27
11-21-2015, 12:53 PM
Hold on.

You saw him in KC?

No, I'm serious. I definitely saw him.

Rausch
11-21-2015, 12:58 PM
Make is so...

Rausch
11-21-2015, 12:58 PM
Hook line and sinker

LMAO

Coochie liquor
11-21-2015, 02:00 PM
I believe what you are looking for is:

Step 3: Draft Paxton Lynch.

This, unfortunately it will prob be Denver drafting him.

CoMoChief
11-21-2015, 02:16 PM
Paxton Lynch gives me the biggest fucking boner. Dude passes the eye test for sure. Dude looks like a big game QB. Big arm...accurate...accurate on long balls, moves well around the pocket to get free to get the ball out...can run a little bit to get extra yardage if plays break down or just to move the chains if there's open field ahead...that's playing the position well.

You do whatever you can to draft him, even if that means trading Jamaal Charles

Mr. Laz
11-21-2015, 02:19 PM
Outstanding

He's our best nose tackle.

poe-howard-bailey

pugsnotdrugs19
11-21-2015, 04:35 PM
This is the type of deal (like Bailey's last year before Seattle game) that could get done any day now... and if so, we'll be able to gauge better what they may be able to do as far as signing the other guys.

I have a really hard time seeing them let Berry walk out of the door, in fact I think you can bank on that one not happening.

The rest comes down to how confident they are in their young players coming up. If you think someone can replace DJ (I don't yet), let him go. Same with Smith, Allen, Hali, etc.

Tough calls for a talented bunch, but if you retain the core, should be alright...

Simply Red
11-21-2015, 06:06 PM
FYP

you seem nice.

Mr. Laz
11-21-2015, 08:33 PM
This is the type of deal (like Bailey's last year before Seattle game) that could get done any day now... and if so, we'll be able to gauge better what they may be able to do as far as signing the other guys.

I have a really hard time seeing them let Berry walk out of the door, in fact I think you can bank on that one not happening.

The rest comes down to how confident they are in their young players coming up. If you think someone can replace DJ (I don't yet), let him go. Same with Smith, Allen, Hali, etc.

Tough calls for a talented bunch, but if you retain the core, should be alright...

Unless they see Berry has some kind of leader or 'heart' of the defense i wouldn't think they would pay him 9/10 million per.

ChiefRocka
11-21-2015, 10:35 PM
Unless they see Berry has some kind of leader or 'heart' of the defense i wouldn't think they would pay him 9/10 million per.

Berry will restructure....right?!?

Tribal Warfare
11-21-2015, 10:36 PM
When Poe gets back to 100% with a full offseason of true rehab, it will bea damn good rotation on the DL