PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Heating and Cooling type question...

The Franchise
11-25-2015, 01:02 PM
We live in a 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom house that we bought a little over 2 years ago. The main problem that we've had since we moved in is that the master bedroom and bathroom are always hotter than the rest of the house. Doesn't matter if it's winter or summer. I've tried closing off the vents in the other parts of the house during the summer but it doesn't seem to make a huge difference. Now that it's winter time and the heater is running....it's once again hotter in those two rooms.

Those two rooms are on the side of the house that sees the most sun and the bathroom doesn't have a fan in it. Would shading the windows and installing a vent fan in the bathroom make a huge difference?

I'm sure this is a common problem that people have run into before.

Eureka
11-25-2015, 01:07 PM
Longer ducting runs to those rooms from the heater system will help a little. Hopefully those rooms don't have shorter duct runs.

Shaid
11-25-2015, 01:11 PM
My master bath and bedroom are interior to the house with the garage on one side so they are natually hotter. I do the vent thing as well but a lot of times I will leave the bathroom fan on in the bathroom to pull hot air out and will crack the bedroom window a little in the winter.

thawk
11-25-2015, 01:18 PM
You have a design problem and you are going to have to find a good company to come in and figure it out. Seems builders the past 20 years or so chisel all the contractors and if it was built as a spec house especially they will always go with the lowest price available and then you have design problems. Do some research of HVAC contractors in your area and find a good one. May be a fairly inexpensive fix but who knows until you know what the real problem is.

Shaid
11-25-2015, 01:20 PM
I also use those portable radiator heaters in the downstairs bedrooms in the winter. Hot air flows up so I can practically leave the heat in the rest of the house off with those going.

thawk
11-25-2015, 01:25 PM
If you have a 2 story house with (1) system that always gets hard to control. You may have to check into zoning the system, then you could have a thermostat in upstairs and in downstairs. Possibly even another in the master suite.

The Franchise
11-25-2015, 01:26 PM
If you have a 2 story house with (1) system that always gets hard to control. You may have to check into zoning the system, then you could have a thermostat in upstairs and in downstairs. Possibly even another in the master suite.

1 story.

thawk
11-25-2015, 01:31 PM
Sorry, I seen the post above mine and thought it was you. Zoning is still an option. I have been a contractor in SEK for 24 years and I do a lot of zoning just for these reasons plus you can turn other parts of the house up or down when you are / are not using it.

The Franchise
11-25-2015, 01:35 PM
Sorry, I seen the post above mine and thought it was you. Zoning is still an option. I have been a contractor in SEK for 24 years and I do a lot of zoning just for these reasons plus you can turn other parts of the house up or down when you are / are not using it.

Why would the room be hotter during the winter time though? You'd think that it would be colder because the heat isn't getting there.

FlaChief58
11-25-2015, 01:39 PM
It stays hotter in the summer and winter? My man cave and master bedroom used to be hotter in summer and colder in winter. I fixed it by replacing the windows, adding insulation in the attic and running an 18" duct directly off of the air handler an splitting it down to 12" at each room. Worked like a charm

thawk
11-25-2015, 01:51 PM
Don't know but almost certainly a duct issue. Being hotter in summer and winter is usually a sign of a lot of hot air migrating, like upstairs but on a single story house IDK. Like I said really need to have a real good contractor look at it. If it was windows or insulation I would think it would be hot in summer cold in winter.

ptlyon
11-25-2015, 01:54 PM
Maybe you and the Mrs need to cool it down a bit

bevischief
11-25-2015, 04:04 PM
Menopause...

lewdog
11-25-2015, 05:47 PM
I've got the exact same situation as you. Same amount of rooms and single level house like you. That side of our house is the west and southwest side of the house. Our master bedroom and bathroom together. We have two AC zones in our house so I keep that side a few degrees cooler when running the AC. We also put up dark sun screens on all those windows. While it's still hotter over there, the sun shades have helped tremendously from when we moved in. I would start with doing some sort of window screens(can be removed) or window tinting. It wasn't terrible expensive.

Bugeater
11-25-2015, 05:51 PM
The only simple solution is to set the fan to run all the time thereby keeping the air circulating constantly. Otherwise you're probably looking at modifications to the ducting system which could be difficult if it's not easily accessible.

The Franchise
11-25-2015, 06:11 PM
I've got the exact same situation as you. Same amount of rooms and single level house like you. That side of our house is the west and southwest side of the house. Our master bedroom and bathroom together. We have two AC zones in our house so I keep that side a few degrees cooler when running the AC. We also put up dark sun screens on all those windows. While it's still hotter over there, the sun shades have helped tremendously from when we moved in. I would start with doing some sort of window screens(can be removed) or window tinting. It wasn't terrible expensive.

I think I'm going to pick up some window tinting tonight and see if that helps. Next step is to install a bathroom fan.

Brock
11-25-2015, 06:17 PM
Be sure to buy a quiet fan. Cheap ones are noisy as fuck.

Also, don't forget you need to duct that air to somewhere outside, you do not want humid air venting into the attic.