PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Ron Parker: the ultimate team player.

Direckshun
11-27-2015, 03:21 PM
Pretty amazing group of safeties we have this year. If Seattle didn't have two All Pros at the position, I'd easily argue that Berry/Parker/Abdullah is the best safety corps in the NFL. Having Branch and Sorenson on the back end isn't too bad either.

Going to be interesting, literally every single one of them except Parker is a free agent at the end of 2015. They'll likely keep Berry and Sorenson, but can Dorsey manage to retain Husain Abdullah, too?

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article46637640.html

Defensive back Ron Parker is Chiefs’ ‘ultimate team guy’
By Blair Kerkhoff
November 26, 2015

Last line of defenders are lumped together as defensive backs, but that generic term fails to explain the specific skill sets of the cornerbacks, safeties and nickel corners.

Ron Parker is an excellent source for this. He’s played them all.

“Whatever the coaches ask me to do, I try and do my best,” Parker said.

That’s a good thing because perhaps no player on the roster has been asked to shift more than Parker.

A year ago, Parker had 11 starts at strong safety and four at cornerback. He opened this year at safety.

But the season-ending injury to Phillip Gaines against the Green Bay Packers in the third game meant a move to the nickel corner and adjustment for Parker.

“It was a big challenge, playing more nickel,” Parker said. “At first I wasn’t comfortable there. But it kind of played out the way it did when I moved to other positions. It’s uncomfortable until I can work with it and rep in it.”

Parker has started seven games at safety and three at nickel. He’s second on the team in tackles with 45 after leading the team in that department last year, and he’s come up big during the team’s four-game winning streak that’s resulted in a 5-5 record entering Sunday’s home game against the Buffalo Bills.

Parker recorded two sacks against the Lions, doubling his career total, and had one of the Chiefs’ five interceptions in the victory at Denver. On the season, Parker has 10 passed defended, second on the team to cornerback Marcus Peters’ 14.

Beyond the stats sheet, Parker’s acceptance of his changing roles and desire to pour everything into new ventures is what coach Andy Reid means when he repeats, “I like this team.”

“There’s no question that no one wants to do a job they don’t feel like they’re prepared to do,” defensive coordinator Bob Sutton said. “But with Ron, it was, ‘OK, let’s go. Help me get ready.’

“He’s the ultimate team guy.”

Prep work was the tough part.

“That position is its own world,” Sutton said. “It’s not an easy job. You’re involved in a lot of things, from blitzing to cover in man and zone, and he’s done a really nice job.”

Parker’s athletic life has been defined by versatility. He played football, baseball and basketball at Beaufort High in South Carolina, and multiple positions at each sport. Parker said he was driven by curiosity.

“I wanted to see what it was like playing different positions,” he said. “It’s always been my mentality.”

Parker enrolled at Independence Community College in Kansas and returned to his home state to finish school at Newberry College, where he became a three-time Division II All-America.

Parker put up big numbers in college, leading the conference in interceptions in each of his final two seasons but wasn’t invited to the NFL Combine. And he wasn’t selected in the draft.

He signed with Seattle in 2011 and appeared in five games with the Seahawks and Oakland Raiders that year. He played three games with the Carolina Panthers in 2012 before finding a home with the Chiefs in 2013.

He started to grow roots when Parker signed a five-year, $30 million deal with the Chiefs after last season.

“When I signed the deal and thought about the numbers, it felt unreal,” Parker said.

The Chiefs may have felt like they were getting a bargain, paying one player who can effectively play multiple positions.

“When you’re moving around, the important thing is you have to know what’s going around you,” Parker said. “Where there’s help, what you can and can’t do. With me, it’s all about understanding the game. And then not going out there and moaning about being moved around.”

MotherfuckerJones
11-27-2015, 03:22 PM
His slot play is huge for this defense. He's not a great corner but has done well in nickel for us.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
11-27-2015, 03:24 PM
To all the people who were outraged by his extension

Direckshun
11-27-2015, 03:32 PM
Were people outraged by his extension?

thabear04
11-27-2015, 03:40 PM
His slot play is huge for this defense. He's not a great corner but has done well in nickel for us.

Agree.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
11-27-2015, 03:42 PM

Yes, there were ppl criticizing him for getting paid because of his most notable accomplishments were batting down balls against a backup QB in buffalo last year at corner. Clearly, his biggest contributions are at safety. Glad the regime didn't mess this signing up

SAUTO
11-27-2015, 03:43 PM

Black bob

MotherfuckerJones
11-27-2015, 04:07 PM

I wasn't especially with Berrys condition how could anyone be?

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-27-2015, 04:34 PM
Wait, was that the Buffalo game he single handedly won last year for us /

staylor26
11-27-2015, 04:40 PM
That's my adopt-a-chief :D

Also, I remember quite a few people complaining about that contract.

TLO
11-27-2015, 05:59 PM
Black bob

Where is Bob anyway?

RealSNR
11-27-2015, 06:37 PM
Where is Bob anyway?

TigerUppercut IS BlackBob.

OldSchool
11-27-2015, 10:25 PM

Yup, thought we paid too much to keep him.

alpha_omega
11-27-2015, 10:29 PM
Let's not forget he had a couple of really shitty games in the not too distant past.

The concern regarding the dollars was justified.

GoShox
11-27-2015, 11:54 PM
Let's not forget he had a couple of really shitty games in the not too distant past.

The concern regarding the dollars was justified.

He's always been solid as a safety. It's the games where they've played him at corner (minus the Bills game) that he's looked terrible

MotherfuckerJones
11-28-2015, 12:25 AM
Let's just take a minute and think about the guys Dorsey has found off the scrap heap the past few years: Ron Parker, Charcandrick West, Jaye Howard, Spencer Ware, Husain Abudllah (He was at Minnesota and was good but left for a year for religious purposes and we sign him a year later. Wasn't a bunch teams lining up for him), Albert Wilson. Dorsey and his scouts have been really good.

pr_capone
11-28-2015, 12:30 AM
I was one that was less than thrilled at Ron Parker's re-signing. I'm happy that he is doing well at Safety. Hope we never see him at corner again. Still believe that Abdullah could be started in his place with minimal, if any, drop off.

RunKC
11-28-2015, 12:44 AM
Let's just take a minute and think about the guys Dorsey has found off the scrap heap the past few years: Ron Parker, Charcandrick West, Jaye Howard, Spencer Ware, Husain Abudllah (He was at Minnesota and was good but left for a year for religious purposes and we sign him a year later. Wasn't a bunch teams lining up for him), Albert Wilson. Dorsey and his scouts have been really good.

His draft picks are starting to play good ball too (save Dee Ford). Give it another year or two and we will be just as talented as the Bengals and Cardinals.

Gotta find the QB tho.

rabblerouser
11-28-2015, 01:02 AM
Ron Parker is fantastic. I love our Dbacks.

MotherfuckerJones
11-28-2015, 01:08 AM
His draft picks are starting to play good ball too (save Dee Ford). Give it another year or two and we will be just as talented as the Bengals and Cardinals.

Gotta find the QB tho.

Absolutely. QB this draft for me.

MotherfuckerJones
11-28-2015, 01:09 AM

Finally we have a defense playing with an edge. I've been waiting for years for this.

Direckshun
11-28-2015, 01:17 AM
Our defense is just fucking stacked, and fully healthy (with the exception of Poe, but even he is playing at seemingly 80%). Bailey should be back soon.

TimBone
11-28-2015, 03:13 AM
TigerUppercut IS BlackBob.
Nope.

TLO
11-28-2015, 04:40 AM
Nope.

No?

DaNewGuy
11-28-2015, 05:03 AM
I was one that was less than thrilled at Ron Parker's re-signing. I'm happy that he is doing well at Safety. Hope we never see him at corner again. Still believe that Abdullah could be started in his place with minimal, if any, drop off.

Agreed

TimBone
11-28-2015, 05:27 AM
No?
Nah.

ChiefGator
11-28-2015, 08:02 AM
Still believe that Abdullah could be started in his place with minimal, if any, drop off.

You need lots of good secondary players for the brand of football the NFL has now. Can't ever have too many.

Which, may not be a problem next year.. hopefully we can get some of these players wrapped up to contracts too.

Red Dawg
11-28-2015, 08:26 AM
I was not out raged by his extension. We needed him at safety when the EB situation was up in the air.

milkman
11-28-2015, 09:52 AM
Yes, there were ppl criticizing him for getting paid because of his most notable accomplishments were batting down balls against a backup QB in buffalo last year at corner. Clearly, his biggest contributions are at safety. Glad the regime didn't mess this signing up

His work at nickle this season is just as valuable as his work at safety.

SAUTO
11-28-2015, 11:02 AM

Hasn't he been playing the slot corner position quite a bit lately?

Saccopoo
11-28-2015, 11:11 AM

Starting three CBs are playing great right now. Past them, there is virtually nothing at CB.

Safety play has been solid, however Abdullah hasn't looked as good this year as last year Sorensen has looked good as a SS box safety, but not as good in pass pro. They will need to add depth at both positions in the draft this next year.

BossChief
11-28-2015, 11:37 AM
Dude is one of our best defenders now.

Emmitt Thomas and Al Harris have this secondary playing out of this world.

MotherfuckerJones
11-28-2015, 11:41 AM
Dude is one of our best defenders now.

Emmitt Thomas and Al Harris have this secondary playing out of this world.

His versatility is our savior. He's saved our asses once Gaines went down.