PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Ten Things About Today's Game

gblowfish
11-29-2015, 05:40 PM
Ten Things About Today's Game

10. I've been on vacation all week. It's the first time I've had a whole week off since last Christmas. Today was my final day off before returning to the Salt Mine tomorrow, and its funny as you watch the local TV weather wankers during the week how the forecast slowly changes. Last Monday they said rain on Thanksgiving, and it should clear out by Saturday morning and would be partly cloudy and low 40's today. Not so much. It's pissed rain here for four days straight, and it's supposed to rain again tomorrow. If you know it's going to be a wet, miserable day, you can dress for it. It still makes it an ordeal, but if you're going to be a Chiefs fan, you gotta be tough. Today I attended the game dressed as the Michelin Man: Four top layers and a rain poncho. It rained steadily the whole game, and luckily the temperature was just enough above freezing where it didn't stick to your body and then freeze. My hands are still pruney -if that's a word- but the coffee and Kahlua is bringing me back slow but sure. Today was a season defining win. Our Chiefs didn't quit. Our Chiefs wanted it more than Buffalo and played through tough injuries. A whole lot of good things to talk about today with a fifth straight win:

9. I remember with about three minutes left in the first quarter, Chiefs had zero yards rushing and about 25 yards passing. It looked like Buffalo was going to dominate in all facets, and make this a miserable, shitty day. They moved the ball on the ground, pass protected, and Watkins made Sean Smith his bitch. The Chiefs just kind of hung on by their fingernails, getting down 10-zip with about four minutes left in the first quarter. It could have been worse. Then in the second quarter, Ware finally broke a couple runs, and that seemed to open up the passing game. It was a tough day for both teams to hold on to the football, and the Chiefs did a great job with ball security. Buffalo lost two fumbles, and that was one of the keys to Chiefs victory.

8. Justin Houston hurt his left knee. Actually, he was gimpy before the injury that put him on his back. I think Incognito may have leg whipped him. Houston was walking it off earlier before the injury that put him down, which was another leg whip by his own player Ron Parker. He limped down the stairs on his own power, so I hope it's just a strain or a hyper-extension, and that nothing is torn up. Considering Houston had no tackles and no sacks, Zombo stepped up and did a pretty good job covering for him. Hali got the only sack, which was a big one to force a fumble and kill a Bills drive.

7. Alex Smith looked terrible in the first quarter. He finally came alive in the second quarter. At the ten minute mark, KC was down 10-0. Then Ware hits a dive play for about 15 yards, and from that point forward the passing game opened up. The first catch Maclin made was on a woefully under thrown ball. If Smith hits him in stride it's a TD. Ware punched it in on the next play, and got the Chiefs back into the ball game. Alex ended up throwing for just over 250 yards with 2 TD's and no picks, and was only sacked once. He also ran for 35 yards and picked up a couple critical first downs doing so. The TD to Maclin inside three minutes in the first half is what changed the game. That pass was well thrown. KC was only down by two at the half, which put the game in reach. Smith rarely rallies the team at the end of a half. He got it done today, and you have to give him props for that. I thought both Smith and Taylor played pretty good games today considering the conditions. I'll bet Baltimore wishes they still had Taylor on their roster.

6. Ware goes for over 100 yards, and the run he broke for 35 in the second half was a thing of beauty. If he keeps his balance, he's gone. He ran tough, and most importantly, held on to the football. Knile Davis did a nice job on kick returns today as well. He's a good player, and they should keep him on the active roster the rest of the season.

5. Sean Smith had a terrible first half, but he seemed to recover in the second half and did a better job in coverage on Watkins. It's been awhile since one of our corners gave up two TDs in one game. Berry had five tackles and seems to be back to his pre-illness self. Our pass rush was pretty quiet, especially after Houston went out. That could be a problem next week against the Faiders.

4. Big props to the Brazilian midget for his place kicking. He hit three field goals on a wet slimy field, and the one he did miss from 54 yards doinked off the crossbar just before halftime. The only stupid play by the specials was jumping off sides on a punt to give Buffalo a first down and sustain their TD drive in the third quarter. Luckily the two-point conversion failed, and that was all the Buffalo scoring for the day.

3. I think both Morse and Fisher had concussions. I know Fisher got hit upside the head and either hurt his neck, or had his bell rung. I didn't see what happened to Morse, but he was forced to leave the field without his helmet, and he was cursing real loud as he went down the stairs. Of all today's injuries, I think Houston might be the worst. It'll suck if he can't play next week. Needless to say, we need that guy.

2. Kelce had a nice TD grab today. The thing about Kelce was that he had very high energy on and off the field. He was dancing around on the sideline, looked psyched about playing, and kept the offense positive, especially early on when the team was down. Peters shows a lot of energy as well, and that kid is going to be a team leader. He just has the swagger. Swagger matters this time of year.

1. I think when we look back on the year, today will be seen as a season changing day. It was a quality comeback win over a quality opponent in miserable game conditions. KC won despite an injury to their best defensive player and to the tackle who protects the QB's blind side. Maclin and Smith earned their paychecks, and the defense stood up when they had to in the fourth quarter. A very satisfying win, and hopefully we can keep it rolling in the black hole to make it six straight. And btw, nothing better than beating ANY coach named Ryan. Rex can play with his feet all the way home on the flight to Buffalo tonight. I hope its snowing there, and they get our weather for a week!

Game highlights and stats are here:
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2015112908/2015/REG12/bills@chiefs#menu=gameinfo|contentId%3A0ap3000000590657&tab=analyze

cabletech94
11-29-2015, 05:42 PM
3rd and 11 for the win!!!! gooooooooooo smiff!!!!!! loved it!!!!!

(IN)

TinyEvel
11-29-2015, 05:46 PM
First!
Ohwait
Great take as always GB. I thought for sure when Houston went out and we had no offense yet it would be #becausechiefs all over again. Glad they nutted up. I'm going into all-homer mode for rest of season.

TLO
11-29-2015, 05:50 PM
3rd

cabletech94
11-29-2015, 05:50 PM
First!
Ohwaithaha!!!
Great take as always GB. I thought for sure when Houston went out and we had no offense yet it would be #becausechiefs all over again. Glad they nutted up. I'm going into all-homer mode for rest of season.

love the fire this team put on the field today (minus the first quarter).

and I am so glad that I benched Watkins on my fantasy team today..........:sadface:

Ming the Merciless
11-29-2015, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the write up!

JoeyChuckles
11-29-2015, 05:51 PM
I was at my first game in 8 years today, and I stuck it out till the end. I'd like to think I had some minor part in all this.

Good summary, it was exactly what I saw as well.

big nasty kcnut
11-29-2015, 05:53 PM
great read george. Also liked that for once flags were going to the other team and hurting them not us.

Bwana
11-29-2015, 05:55 PM
Another masterpiece, thanks George!

Marcellus
11-29-2015, 06:00 PM
Good summary, nice work George. Way to hang in tough conditions.

FloridaMan88
11-29-2015, 06:01 PM
On the subject of weather, why did the Chiefs wait until today's game to do the Will Shields halftime ceremony to honor his HOF induction?

A game earlier in the season would have probably ensured better weather odds for the ceremony.

SAUTO
11-29-2015, 06:02 PM
Hell muthafucken jjjeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

scho63
11-29-2015, 06:26 PM

10. I've been on vacation all week.
Hope you got your monies worth! :clap:

9. It looked like Buffalo was going to dominate in all facets, and make this a miserable, shitty day.
That was my initial feeling as well. We came out flatter than Peyton's forehead

8. Justin Houston hurt his left knee.
He looked pretty good in the locker room during the celebration. Don't see it as serious.
http://www.kcchiefs.com/media-center/videos/Chiefs-vs-Bills-Locker-Room-Celebration/d57ed800-eb72-4a1e-bb4f-8eae263ceb34

7. Alex Smith looked terrible in the first quarter. He finally came alive in the second quarter. At the ten minute mark, KC was down 10-0.
The Chiefs had lost 20 of their previous 21 games in which they trailed by at least 10 points. The Chiefs fell behind 10-0 before they rallied for the victory. Thank God we overcame that crappy stat!

6. Ware goes for over 100 yards. Knile Davis did a nice job on kick returns today as well.
Two good performances

5. Sean Smith had a terrible first half, but he seemed to recover in the second half and did a better job in coverage on Watkins.
It was the classic Tale of Two Cities Halves as Smith seemed to not be so timid in the second half and stuck to Watkins like glue. Smith went from Zero to Hero

4. Big props to the Brazilian midget for his place kicking. The only stupid play by the specials was jumping off sides on a punt to give Buffalo a first down and sustain their TD drive in the third quarter.
Our special teams expect Cairo really sucked for the most part due to another three penalties; the disaster from Harris, a holding call on one of Knile's nice returns and then I think they got another hold on a fair catch. This year we have been HORRIFIC with the holding calls on ST. last week it was the dumb Kelce hands to the face on a PAT and this week Harris was the Ass of the Day. He had two penalties. Even our MVP Colquitt sucked today.

1. I think when we look back on the year, today will be seen as a season changing day.
I'm going to politely disagree slightly as I think the win in Denver gave us the confidence that allowed us to steamroll the Chargers in San Diego and then come home and play a very tough Buffalo team and come out ahead. The Chiefs of yesteryear would find a way to screw this scenario up. I think today's win over Buffalo is a team who wins a game they are supposed to win! It's about time. :clap:

All the guys who stepped up due to injuries deserve the game ball; Zombo, Zach Fulton, Spencer Ware. Alex Smith probably had to look at the back of guys uniforms to figure out who the hell was in the game. No one watching TV ever saw Mitch Morse even go out and suddenly Fulton is taking snaps.

The lack of turnovers during the streak along with Alex's play is impressive and if there are anything to complain about, the penalties are tops along with a few more drops of sure INT's including Peters. That's two weeks in a row where we have dropped at least two sure INTs.

Great short but sweet writeup George and you must have been a freezy soggy mess. It looked like 1/2 the stadium emptied out at half.

Thanks as always! :clap:

Cheefzboy
11-29-2015, 06:37 PM
Id like to add number 11. Andy Reid always has the "well were in field goal range" look on his face every offensive possession. He always seems to be just trying to set up a field goal 99 percent of the time.

O.city
11-29-2015, 06:39 PM
Good write up george, per usual

EPodolak
11-29-2015, 06:44 PM
Happy about the way the offense picked up the defense today in the first half. Good team win.

tmax63
11-29-2015, 06:53 PM
I kept waiting for the team to fold as the injuries piled up. In years past it would of been over. Smith and Ware carried the day. How they did it I'm not sure but I have a lot more respect for the o-line to continue to function as well as they did.

Hydrae
11-29-2015, 07:11 PM
These players keep saying that they have a mission. Reid has them believing and it shows.

I lost a lot of hope when we lost to Chicago and have been slow to jump back on the bandwagon but this win shows me that we have turned the corner. I am on board to see where these guys will take us. Giddy up!

Rausch
11-29-2015, 07:13 PM
If used properly there are 3 HB's on this roster that could be bell-cow backs.

Three down backs that can do it all (Davis is dog $#it at pass blocking, so not him.)

KChiefs1
11-29-2015, 07:39 PM
Great read George.

milkman
11-29-2015, 07:43 PM
Frank Zombo is a black hole.

Squalor2
11-29-2015, 07:45 PM

nice read. this season feels like a shitty triathalon. we damn near drowned the first third, bike had a couple of flats, and now we get to ski downhill on a course we've never been on.

milkman
11-29-2015, 07:49 PM
I agree with schoo that the Denver game was the one that propelled this team.

This game was pivotal in this team's position moving forward.

The question now becomes 3, 5 or 6 seed.

I am not ready to concede the division to Denver.

ChiefsCountry
11-29-2015, 07:58 PM

I say it was Pittsburgh. If Big Ben plays we lose and the season really spirals from there IMO.

Rausch
11-29-2015, 07:59 PM
I say it was Pittsburgh. If Big Ben plays we lose and the season really spirals from there IMO.

If we beat Denver in game 1 that game is irrelevant...

Trivers
11-29-2015, 08:04 PM
thank you for writing!

milkman
11-29-2015, 08:07 PM

That game was pivotal as we look back.

I said "moving forward".

srvy
11-29-2015, 08:52 PM
Thanks Gblowfish mighty fine job but we expect that. What is going above and beyond is doing on your vacation and right after a miserable rainy cold game. None of us would have faulted you to have done it tomorrow after warmed up but you soldiered on. It is appreciated!

GloryDayz
11-29-2015, 08:56 PM
All the guys who stepped up due to injuries deserve the game ball; Zombo, Zach Fulton, Spencer Ware. Alex Smith probably had to look at the back of guys uniforms to figure out who the hell was in the game. No one watching TV ever saw Mitch Morse even go out and suddenly Fulton is taking snaps.

The lack of turnovers during the streak along with Alex's play is impressive and if there are anything to complain about, the penalties are tops along with a few more drops of sure INT's including Peters. That's two weeks in a row where we have dropped at least two sure INTs.

Great short but sweet writeup George and you must have been a freezy soggy mess. It looked like 1/2 the stadium emptied out at half.

Thanks as always! :clap:

I swear you just graded George's work. That's a first...

GloryDayz
11-29-2015, 08:57 PM
I think of beauty George... Awesome...

suzzer99
11-29-2015, 09:06 PM

Exactly - we should win tiebreakers if we win out the division, and at least one of Denver's losses will likely be in the division, and if we tie the division their conf record will be worse. So basically we have a very good chance to essentially be 1.5 games back after the Pats take care of business.

Edit: Ah crap - we almost certainly lose common games to Denver, since we went 1-3 in the NFC Central and they went 4-0. So we need to win the divisional record.

1. Head-to-head
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference
5. Strength of victory
6. Strength of schedule

Buehler445
11-29-2015, 10:07 PM
Great read George.

Glad you kept Hypothermia at bay.

I almost shut the bitch off after the first quarter. It looked like we were fucking soft ass and were going to shit the bed in an important game. But Reid/The Team rallied. I'll give Reid some credit there. We stack a ton of shit on him for the team looking like dogshit, so he needs some credit for motivation/rally.

I don't know if Ryan/Bills went away from Watkins or if we covered him better. If I were Taylor, I'd have thrown it anyway. Watkins was fucking murdering us with a claw hammer. Credit to Sutton/Smith/Peters for stopping the bleeding.

It's refuckingmarkable that the best back in the league (IMO) goes down, then Reid decides to hammer the run game. WTF? I'd really like to see the playcalling stay like this, even with Jamaal back. Jamaal is good in the pass game and I don't hate him getting looks, but the OL definitely works the run game better than pass pro and Charles can do anything in the run game, provided he returns to form.

Overall though, I agree with you. This was a huge F'ing game for the playoff picture, as are pretty much all the rest of them, but these guys were our direct competition for a wildcard. A loss here would have been horrible. And the team manned the fuck up and took this bitch. Just took it. That is outstanding. Looking back, I don't think you can say that about any Chiefs team since some of the Marty teams. Maybe a couple of Vermeil's teams, but they lost a shitton of games like that. And Some of the wins were probably just Roaf/Waters/Weigmann/Shields/et.al. eating dudes' souls. Bottom line though, this team showed something. That is awesome.

Chiefshrink
11-29-2015, 11:00 PM

Better concede now since Denver just knocked off the Pats which will be their game that turns their offense and Osweiler confidence in a positive direction.

Danguardace
11-30-2015, 03:38 AM
Great write up as usual.

The only points I would add is Andy and Alex found a way to win with the Running Game and Down Field passing game. If they can keep the vertical game as part of the attack that will open things up for Kelce and others underneath.

Also Spencer Ware looks like a race horse he is powerful and fast, I still have a lot of time of Davis too so with a good RB Trio Chiefs can really make up for missing Charles

Mav
11-30-2015, 03:47 AM
Great write up George!

BlackHelicopters
11-30-2015, 05:24 AM
In. Best observation : Morse cursing loudly.

jimidollar
11-30-2015, 07:27 AM
Another great 10 Things. Today was playoff win #1. Playoff win #2 is next week.

Halfcan
11-30-2015, 09:37 AM
Great write up as always!

I can't count how many games I went to out at Arrowhead in these kind of conditions-only to leave disappointed. When the fucking Bills came out and dominated-it looked like it was going to be another one of those days.

I spent the day in the car traveling back from Texas after a visit with my family. We stopped around halftime for a pizza just in time to see Alex throw one of his prettiest passes in his KC career for a TD. Where has this guy been?

The rest of the game we listened to the 101 Fox broadcast and they did an excellent job of painting the game in words. I think they are the best broadcast team in football. I loved hearing DJ being described as a human torpedo-blowing up the Bills back field. And at the end hearing how the Chiefs put the "Hammer Down" on the Bills. It was stated as one of the toughest fought games ever-which may be a bit hyped up- but it was surely a war of attrition with so many injuries.

This is one of those games we are used to the Chiefs losing- I am glad they fought back and gave all the fans out there in the rain a Big win.

bevischief
11-30-2015, 10:39 AM
Thanks again.

thabear04
11-30-2015, 11:07 AM
Nice write up.

gblowfish
12-01-2015, 09:29 PM
I just saw myself on This Week in the NFL on Showtime. Slapping hands with Alex after the game. I'm wearing a blue rain poncho.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
12-01-2015, 09:53 PM
Oh hell yeaaa

GloryDayz
12-01-2015, 10:08 PM
I just saw myself on This Week in the NFL on Showtime. Slapping hands with Alex after the game. I'm wearing a blue rain poncho.Link?

Discuss Thrower
12-01-2015, 10:32 PM
One thing I noticed was after Peters drew a defensive holding call, (I'm guessing) he made a point to go to the head linesman and get clarification on what he did wrong given the official made motions that looked like he was demonstrating exactly what the rook had done to earn a flag.

Rain Man
12-01-2015, 10:43 PM
One thing I noticed was after Peters drew a defensive holding call, (I'm guessing) he made a point to go to the head linesman and get clarification on what he did wrong given the official made motions that looked like he was demonstrating exactly what the rook had done to earn a flag.

That's a nice observation.

MotherfuckerJones
12-01-2015, 11:08 PM
Frank Zombo is a black hole.

His angle on Tyrod when he allowed a big run had me shaking my fucking head

MotherfuckerJones
12-01-2015, 11:12 PM

Agreed. If this teams wins a playoff game, it's because of that win in Denver. It's propelled this team.

RINGLEADER
12-01-2015, 11:59 PM
I just saw myself on This Week in the NFL on Showtime. Slapping hands with Alex after the game. I'm wearing a blue rain poncho.

Why wear the other team's colors?

Also, pull the hood down next time so we can see you...

gblowfish
12-02-2015, 07:22 AM
When its raining like that, all I care about is trying to stay dry. Don't care what color my clothes are. It ain't a fashion show out there...

Lil' Chubby
12-02-2015, 07:37 AM
Nice job gblowfish. Only thing I would add is a little more love for Maclin. He had his best game as a Chief.

Frosty
12-02-2015, 09:27 AM
Why wear the other team's colors?

Also, pull the hood down next time so we can see you...

When they showed the crowd shot at Arrowhead, I was thinking "Holy crap, there are a ton of Bills fans there". However, it turned out to be mostly Chiefs fans in blue ponchos.

RINGLEADER
12-03-2015, 12:42 AM
When they showed the crowd shot at Arrowhead, I was thinking "Holy crap, there are a ton of Bills fans there". However, it turned out to be mostly Chiefs fans in blue ponchos.

Well as I said during the game, major props to the Arrowhead faithful who showed up on such a crap day.