PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Comcast / Xfinity reviews..??

DRU
11-29-2015, 09:53 PM
I'm about to put an offer on a new house in an area where Xfinity is the only provider available. I'm a little bit worried because I'm seeing some info about data limitations and overage charges. I run my business from home and I use a LOT of data, both upload and download.

I do see some info about unlimited data plans, but then after that in fine print it says those plans are trial plans and could be discontinued at any time.

Any of you with Xfinity have issues with data limits? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Rausch
11-29-2015, 09:54 PM
Did they buy out the UK company that made the original Xfinity that was awesome?

Miles
11-29-2015, 09:59 PM
Might try calling them tomorrow and worst case see if they have some business offerings with assurances of no data caps. I have the shitty Comcast equivalent in Time Warner and seems like the market pressure has caused them to better their internet offerings and definitely noticed more effort in customer service of late.

petegz28
11-29-2015, 10:00 PM
I have them...they are okay but when stuff screws up it really screws up

KCrockaholic
11-29-2015, 10:03 PM
Not good. You're bound to have problems.

TribalElder
11-29-2015, 10:08 PM
I'm about to put an offer on a new house in an area where Xfinity is the only provider available. I'm a little bit worried because I'm seeing some info about data limitations and overage charges. I run my business from home and I use a LOT of data, both upload and download.

I do see some info about unlimited data plans, but then after that in fine print it says those plans are trial plans and could be discontinued at any time.

Any of you with Xfinity have issues with data limits? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Move to an area with google fiber

GloucesterChief
11-29-2015, 10:12 PM
Had it for years without a problem. Switched to ATT because ATT has Pac12 Network.

DaFace
11-29-2015, 10:16 PM
There aren't data caps in KC yet as far as I know, but they just added like 15 cities. I wouldn't be comfortable with Comcast if data caps are a concern.

CoMoChief
11-29-2015, 10:33 PM
It's nice. They're usually more expensive than the others. But if something goes wrong or your bill magically goes up, don't expect them to fix anything right the first time. Some of the worst customer service out there, next behind Sprint.

DRU
11-29-2015, 10:40 PM
Move to an area with google fiber

I actually have Google Fiber right now and I love it, but I'm tired of the house I'm in.

BWillie
11-30-2015, 12:50 AM
They are pretty awesome for the money if you live in KC. My house in Olathe I have Comcast with in home dvr, the fast internet tier and its $105 a month. At one of my other houses I have TWC and same service, shittier DVR, supposedly 300 mbps internet and its $175.

Everything about Infinity/Comcast is better, especially my internet speed and DVR. Im supposed to have virtually the same Internet sleed at them both but Comcasts is much faster.

I wouldn't worry about data caps, i use 10x the data of a normal family and ive never had issues. Their customer service does suck but its got much better in the last 5 yrs

SLAG
11-30-2015, 01:02 AM
I was a comcast / xfinity customer for a few years. They were Meh.
Support was not very helpful unless you knew what they needed to do.

They technically have data caps but they are "suspended" for the time being - at least in KC area / Chicago Area (The two places I've had comcast)

Speeds were ok - but you could tell when school got out at 3:30 and those neighborhood teens got their gaming on.

I was never happy with them overall and I had to call all the time to get random charges /or keep my rate plan.

ALL THAT Said...
I moved to an area with Suddenlink - and they are worse - they do enforce datacap - I have 350GB @50mbps down for $39 / mo ( Suppose to be $49 but there is a special I got) - Last month we used almost 700GB so i'm sure i'm going to need to pay more :(

Missing comcast

kcxiv
11-30-2015, 05:48 AM
getting the right cable service was a fucking nightmare, the internet side of comcast has been nothing but awesome for me. Very very very minimal downtime. THe only downtime i have had was because ATT "accidently" cut the line from on top of the telephone poles. Comcast came out on a Saturday and fixed it. Other then that, i have had 0 problems. I did buy my own modem so i dont have to rent theirs. saved money after about a year.

TV service about 7/10
internet service 10/10 cant complain one bit on that.

KCUnited
11-30-2015, 06:49 AM
My experience with Comcast has been rocky. Moved from KC and Google Fiber to Chicago and Comcast in May. We closed on our condo on a Thursday, set up the Comcast install for late in the day that Thursday. Comcast technician calls me on Wednesday saying there's no one at the install address. They came a day early when we hadn't even taken possession of the property. Who shows up a day early than the scheduled install date? As a result, they said they couldn't get anyone back out to us until Tuesday of the following week. That was after speaking to a manager. No acknowledgement of their fuck up, no apology for the inconvenience, just a too bad, deal with it attitude. I work from home, so without internet installed, I had to take an extra day off work until they finally made it out.

TV got off to a rough start with daily signal errors. We had another technician come out and he advised that the original install was done improperly. Since then, tv has been much better, but I still have to reboot the box a couple times a month due to signal/guide errors.

Internet has been fine, but wifi alone isn't powerful enough to run my work systems efficiently. I have to be connected to the line, which isn't really a problem as I have an office set up.

Customer service experience, LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

I'd put Comcast on the same or a tick below my Time Warner experience in KC (who I had to throw off my property after a rogue technician ripped out my Google Fiber connects after we switched). I find the Comcast remote and tv guide to be painfully slow compared to Google Fiber and the customer service is a 180 between the two providers. Comcast's customer service strategy seems to be make it a huge, unhelpful pain in the ass that people will just deal with their inferior product issues and never contact us. Comcast probably doesn't seem as bad to someone who's never experienced Google Fiber.

DRU
12-06-2015, 06:38 PM
Thanks for all the feedback.

I guess the big gamble is whether or not they're going to reinstate the data caps.

I talked to one guy at Comcast who told me "there's a chance they could bring the caps to Missouri and there's a chance they won't."

Another guy from Comcast told me "Yes, it's coming back to Missouri in a month or two."

I put an offer on the place, so I'm hoping it'll work out. Then I'll just have to deal with whatever issues I have until AT&T or Google gets out to Raymore, I guess.

bishop_74
12-06-2015, 06:54 PM
Technical support was pretty terrible. Otherwise I am very happy with my throughput and the X1 is nice as well. Switched over from Century Link and DirecTV and it is WAY better than that

King_Chief_Fan
12-06-2015, 06:57 PM

I guess the big gamble is whether or not they're going to reinstate the data caps.

I talked to one guy at Comcast who told me "there's a chance they could bring the caps to Missouri and there's a chance they won't."

Another guy from Comcast told me "Yes, it's coming back to Missouri in a month or two."

I put an offer on the place, so I'm hoping it'll work out. Then I'll just have to deal with whatever issues I have until AT&T or Google gets out to Raymore, I guess.
Caps will be in place for all sooner or later

BWillie
12-06-2015, 08:00 PM

I cant even imagine how this would work...it would be infuriating

mnchiefsguy
12-06-2015, 08:39 PM

We are in Raytown and are waiting on Google Fiber, so I have had the 105MB down/10MB up package with them.

Frankly, it is meh. Download Speed has been around 100, but ping times are awful. Half the time my Upload Speed gets less than 1 MB, despite Comcast running a new line to the house.

I am worried about data caps too. I do a lot of downloading, along with remote access for work, and my kids watch a fuck ton of Netflix, since we only got internet and not cable tv. I have had some big months of data usage (you can look up how much data you have used, the limit, when enforced is 250gb per month)---we regular use twice as much and nothing has been said.

I think as long as Google goes with no caps, Comcast will be forced to as well. They are trying real hard to compete. The sales rep that signed us up knew we were waiting on Fiber--I got the 105 package (burst I think it is called) for around 50-55 dollars per month once taxes are factored in.

Overall, it works. Had a couple of outages but both times the weather was really stormy.

If you get their modem/router combo, I would get your own router. I have been using the comcast device and the wireless signal sucks. I would buy a router, but once I get Google installed, I will have a wireless access point on each level of the house, so I have a switch I plan on using for the home network (once I get off of my ass and pull some cat6 cable).

Leaving Google fiber is tough..we did the same thing--we were renting a house and had it in 2014--moved into our current house and signed back up, but this fiberhood has taken a long ass time to get installed.

Gotta do what is best for the family though. We love the location and house we are in.

Best of Luck!

mnchiefsguy
12-06-2015, 08:44 PM

I think a lot of it depends on Google. If they put in data caps, everyone will pretty quickly. If they don't, I think some of the other providers might try it, and it would depend on how many customers they lose whether they stick or not.

It is certainly important for customers to make known that data caps are not acceptable--and I think they are. It was one of the first things I mentioned with Comcast, and it was clear he had heard it before many times.

GloryDayz
12-06-2015, 08:52 PM
I have two employees in MN and one in TX who telework 100% who use Comcast; they have no complaints.

King_Chief_Fan
12-06-2015, 08:57 PM
I think a lot of it depends on Google. If they put in data caps, everyone will pretty quickly. If they don't, I think some of the other providers might try it, and it would depend on how many customers they lose whether they stick or not.

It is certainly important for customers to make known that data caps are not acceptable--and I think they are. It was one of the first things I mentioned with Comcast, and it was clear he had heard it before many times.

Agree....at&t has caps just put in....I have a terabyte cap with the 1 gig download (up to) Not sure I will ever exceed that cap.

mnchiefsguy
12-06-2015, 09:30 PM
Agree....at&t has caps just put in....I have a terabyte cap with the 1 gig download (up to) Not sure I will ever exceed that cap.

It is tough to see one using that much data...but once you start streaming HD Netflix, man you chew through data like no one's business.

It is easy to see why some companies want caps--att, comcast, time warner....they are dependent on their tv service to be viable.

Google does not seem to care. Internet is their primary focus...they offer TV because they know many customers want to bundle their tv and internet together.

DaveNull
12-06-2015, 09:35 PM
Google offers TV because if they didn't, they'd be dealing with policing piracy full time.

gblowfish
12-06-2015, 09:38 PM
Comcast is crap. I hate them. Only cable service in my neighborhood. Their customer service is over seas somewhere. If you have anything go wrong, it's a major pain in the ass to get it fixed.

Mosbonian
12-06-2015, 09:43 PM
In my time I have had...

Comcast/Xfinity
Mediacom
Time Warner
DirecTV

From an internet perspective Time Warner and Comcast/Xfinity are about the same for me from a speed perspective. From a customer service "let me assist you" perspective Comcast is horrible if you want something done quickly. Once you been on the phone for 30 minutes then you get something corrected.

And for some reason when I had them it seemed like the program packages for TV viewing changed so much I never knew what channels I was getting from one month to the next.

With Time Warner what I can say is this...although I may not necessarily like their prices, at least I know the devil I am dealing with. Their cable connection serves me well, and the internet connection for what I need has always been reliable. I am not a massive data user so I am happy with what they provide. The channels and packages for TV are what I need as little as I watch TV.

DirecTV was great until you had been with them for a while....then for some reason you were treated like an ex-wife.

Mediacom...meh.