PDA

View Full Version : Draft Needs

RunKC
11-30-2015, 08:44 AM
Preface: QB is obviously number 1 on the board should a good player be attainable.

Week 13 Version

I would solely place the first 2 rounds of this draft on QB and OL. Ben Grubbs has been a bit disappointing and Jeff Allen has been good, but injury prone.
We also don't have a set RT that's worth a damn. Stephenson should be gone, as well as Fanaika.
Hopefully we can get Allen back, but I'd still take an OL in the first 2 rounds either way. I'd also take another OL in the 4th/5th round to develop ala Zach Fulton and LDT.

CB is still an issue. We have 3 strong should we keep Sean Smith, which I think will be a big priority this spring. Gaines coming off an ACL tear could hurt us a bit.
I would see if we can nab Casey Hayward or Jeremy Lane in free agency. If not, draft a athletic player with the speed and height to learn. Steven Nelson seems like a nice developmental pick, but we need to keep adding there.

I'm a bit iffy on WR. I love our first 3 WR's of Maclin, Wilson and Conley. You can see Conley already being a mismatch for DB's out there. I would expect him to be ready for a bigger role in 2016.
I'd love to see us look for another speed guy. Maybe a John Brown/ Tyler Lockett esque player. I don't think DAT is a reliable WR. He's a gadget guy with limited route fundamentals.

I think that TE is yet another area we should look at. I'm not a huge fan of Demetrius Harris, and Parker has been "meh". O'Shags has been a nice surprise, but we need more depth.
If the right prospect is there, I'd pull the trigger.

Safety is the last majors piece right now. Branch has been nice depth, but this year you have 3 of our safeties (Berry, Abdullah, Branch) all free agents.
This is an underrated need due to the strength we have there right now. I'd love to see another center fielder with solid coverage skills and excellent speed back there.

What are your thoughts?

jonzie04
11-30-2015, 12:47 PM
DL. We will be losing either Poe or Howard and Devito soon

ILB. DJ cant play forever

WR. We really need a high end #2 That can step up into the #1 role if (when) Maclin gets hurt.Wilson and Conley aren't there. They might get there eventually but I wouldn't bank on it. If they do take a big step forward, good, you can never have enough good WR's

OT. We have Grubbs, Fulton, and Tardif at Guard. I think we resign Allen to play RT. I dont think we need to invest too heavily here, but I do think we should be looking for a Swing tackle.

CB We all saw what happened earlier this season. And we're still in the same boat. If Smith, Peters, or Parker get hurt we are absolutely fucked. We could really use another mid round prospect, and a few different jags.

OLB Hali can't play forever, Ford has shown next to nothing. That being said though most teams only have one decent edge rusher if that, and they aren't Justin Houston.

QB.

In order of importance mainly due to who we have on the roster and where we would need help immediately I would say

1. #2 WR
2. CB
3. ILB
4. OLB
5. DL
6. OL

QBs the wild card. We really need help in other areas but if you have a guy you think can become the franchise QB then you draft that sum bitch.

O.city
11-30-2015, 01:21 PM
Rosters change so much yes to year, just take best player available and keep building depth accross the board

kccrow
11-30-2015, 01:58 PM
Oh boy, many things to happen yet... but...

Critical Needs

OL - Right tackle has been a problem area, or should I say any tackle spot Eric Fisher hasn't manned this year. Donald Stephenson shouldn't return and neither should Jah Reid. Jeff Allen is a free agent that has looked good this season and might be a high priority re-sign candidate, Ben Grubbs is washed up, and whatever is going on at the other guard spot with Fulton and Duvernay-Tardiff doesn't inspire confidence. Minimally, this team needs about three players to better the depth situation, but ideally at least one starter at right tackle. Do note Eric Fisher is a free agent in 2017.

DB - Sean Smith, Eric Berry, Husain Abdullah, and Tyvon Branch are all free agents while Philip Gaines is coming off of injury. This is a situation where I don't think you can retain everyone and probably won't be able to keep both Smith and Berry. Marcus Cooper and Jamell Fleming are also free agents. Minimally, the Chiefs will need a starter at cornerback or strong safety and overall depth at both positions.

OLB - To this point Dee Ford is a colossal bust with recurring back problems and Tamba Hali has clearly lost a step off the edge. The remaining depth behind Hali and Houston is relatively abysmal, but Dezman Moses and Frank Zombo are free agents anyhow. The Chiefs need to address this more than once.

QB - Minimally, a backup is needed and, depending upon how things fall, could use a prospect to develop to replace Smith in the future. Haven't sniffed a real glimpse of Aaron Murray nor Tyler Bray and Chase Daniel is due to be a free agent.

DL - You can never have enough quality depth when it comes to big fellas. DeVito is likely done, Howard is a pending free agent (I think KC will make him priority 1) and so too is Nick Williams, plus Poe and Bailey have been injured this year. Do note that Dontari Poe is a free agent in 2017. KC will add at least one defensive lineman, and probably two.

Minimal Needs/Upgradable Areas

WR - The Chiefs have a true #1 in Jeremy Maclin, but there isn't much after him in terms of reliability. Albert Wilson has flashed, but he really belongs in the slot. Rookie Chris Conley has also shown some ability. After that, Jason Avant is a free agent and then there is a bunch of nothing worth noting. The Chiefs need to continue to rotate this stable, and bring in competition for the X receiver role. Do note that Wilson is a free agent in 2017.

RB - This will depend on the rehabilitation of Jamaal Charles and what the Chiefs decide to do with Knile Davis. Charcandrick West is an ERFA and Spencer Ware is under contract through next season, so the hole wouldn't be huge, but it doesn't mean that KC won't look if a good back falls in their laps.

TE - Demetrius Harris, who hasn't been good, is a restricted free agent at season's end and Travis Kelce will only have one year remaining on his rookie deal. James O'Shaughnessy has flashed some, but KC would be wise to add another TE to the stable.

ILB - Ramik Wilson has flashed a bit, and Justin Marsh (IR) looked very good in preseason, so its nice to see some young potential. However, Derrick Johnson is aging and is a free agent (although I suspect he'll be retained) and Josh Mauga is a very average player. If the Chiefs have the opportunity to upgrade here, they'd be wise to make the investment.

Edit:
If I had to rank them:

1. DB
2. OL
3. OLB
4. DL
5. DB (whichever not #1)
6. QB (had Alex not started to actually play well with decent line play, I'd have this #1)
7. WR
8. TE
9. ILB
10. RB

Saccopoo
11-30-2015, 07:46 PM
Has anyone noticed Jah Reid the past couple of games?

Exactly. Perhaps he's growing into the system at the RT position. I think that they'd prefer to keep Allen at guard and keep Grubbs (because they have to contractually) as backup at either G position.

Defensively, depth is a big issue. OLB and CB and S are needs. If Willams and Nunez-Roches develop, DL is not an issue.

1. CB
- Depth behind Smith, Peters and Gaines is non-existent. Parker has played well as nickle/FS, but that's it.

2. QB
- Not sold that anyone past Smith can play at this level and they need to get in a guy ASAP if this is the case.

3. OT
- Reid has played better but is still susceptible to speed and power rushers. Either he or Stephenson can be retained as swing tackle, but getting a top level ROT into the system quickly to gel would be nice.

4. OLB
- Zombo plays hard but he doesn't have the speed. Moses looks lost in regular snaps. Ford? Who freaking knows and if he's got a reoccurring back injury, that doesn't bode well for his long term future.

5. S
- Lots of FA issues here with Berry, Abdullah and Branch set to hit the open market. Sorensen has been solid as a ST and box safety but is not a dual zone threat player that this system demands.

6. TE
- Harris can block, but he's a liability on the field as he continues to make bad judgement decisions on the field and doesn't have good hands. O'Shaugnessy looked good before injury but that's about it.

7. WR
- Depends on Conley getting his shit together. He's looked better, but hasn't had the surest of hands and his route running hasn't been overly good. Wilson is a nice option in the slot but depth is needed.

8. ILB
- DJ is having a career year coming off achilles surgery, but everything else is a question mark. Alexander has shown nothing. Wilson is the guy he was in college - finds a pile, but doesn't put himself in position to make impact plays. Mauga is JAG.

9. RB
- Davis will most likely not be retained and additional depth is needed for ST. Would be nice to have a guy who works well in both pass and run that's not a complete midget.

10. DL
- Really depends on Poe's back, but if he's healthy and they sign Howard (which I would assume would be one of four priority signings) then everything is okay here. Both Nunez-Roches and Williams have looked okay in limited snaps and they might even be able to eek out another year or two from DeVito, who has looked pretty good this season coming back from achilles surgery.

jslade
11-30-2015, 10:00 PM
I would agree with all of that, but especially at the running back position. Charles isn't getting any younger, and who knows how well he will come back from injury. We have Alex Smith at quarterback, you NEED a good running game. I'd say if it is possible, go there first...

Tribal Warfare
11-30-2015, 10:11 PM
1) QB

2)NT/DT ( if Poe isn't ever the same)

3) OLB ( If Ford isn't panning out)

4) OL

5) DB

Saccopoo
11-30-2015, 11:54 PM
I would agree with all of that, but especially at the running back position. Charles isn't getting any younger, and who knows how well he will come back from injury. We have Alex Smith at quarterback, you NEED a good running game. I'd say if it is possible, go there first...

They might have a shot at Elliott.

I know that the current train of thought is that you can get a RB anywhere in the draft, but guys like Peterson, Charles, Gurley show that having a top flight RB does actually help the offense.

Do you make the pick if a talent like Elliott is still on the board when the Chiefs draft?

Direckshun
12-01-2015, 01:17 AM
1. QB
2. WR
3. OL

From there, we probably need a rotational DE since we won't be able to keep DeVito, and another passrusher.

kccrow
12-01-2015, 04:27 AM
They might have a shot at Elliott.

I know that the current train of thought is that you can get a RB anywhere in the draft, but guys like Peterson, Charles, Gurley show that having a top flight RB does actually help the offense.

Do you make the pick if a talent like Elliott is still on the board when the Chiefs draft?

I'd take Elliott for sure if he's there when KC picks in round 1, but I bet he goes top 10. This draft may not be that loaded at the top.

Direckshun
12-01-2015, 05:33 AM
The best a top flight RB does for you is ground you in mediocrity.

Sadly, we have evidence of that here in Kansas City, as they do in Minnesota. Pass.

RunKC
12-01-2015, 08:52 AM
I think our 2nd year players will be getting more action next season. I'd also bring back Jah Reid as depth on a vet minimum deal. He seems to be getting better each week, and that's good for a backup.

If I had to do a mock I'd go:

1. Carson Wentz QB NDSU
2. Tyler Johnstone OT Oregon
3. Rashard Higgins WR CSU

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-01-2015, 04:35 PM
1) QB

2)NT/DT ( if Poe isn't ever the same)

3) OLB ( If Ford isn't panning out)

4) OL

5) DB

As much as everybody always screams about us not drafting a QB. It's not a need. I think Daniel and murray are both starting caliber. And Bray was signed to two more years for a reason.

Saccopoo
12-01-2015, 06:50 PM
I think our 2nd year players will be getting more action next season. I'd also bring back Jah Reid as depth on a vet minimum deal. He seems to be getting better each week, and that's good for a backup.

If I had to do a mock I'd go:

1. Carson Wentz QB NDSU
2. Tyler Johnstone OT Oregon
3. Rashard Higgins WR CSU

That's pretty early for Wentz. DII and he's coming off of wrist surgery.

I mean, I like the guy a lot, but Round One?

Tribal Warfare
12-02-2015, 12:02 AM
As much as everybody always screams about us not drafting a QB. It's not a need. I think Daniel and murray are both starting caliber. And Bray was signed to two more years for a reason.

We don't have an immediate starter, because if we did Murray would be the 2nd string QB this season.

Until proven otherwise that we have the QBOTF, it's very much a need.

Lil' Chubby
12-02-2015, 07:34 AM
1. D-Line - Devito will be gone and we will probably tag Howard
2. Safety - Almost all our safeties are free agents
3. Cornerback - Smith is a goner and Gaines will start. They will want another tall CB
4. O-line - Allen, Reid and Stephenson are all free agents
5. Quarterback - Murray will replace Daniel but we need to groom a starter. It would be a bigger need if Dorsey didn't resign Bray

I think this would be nice first three assuming we finish 10-6:

1. Jarran Reed, DT/DE, Alabama
2. Jeremy Cash, SS, Duke
3. William Jackson III, CB, Houston

Disclaimer: If Connor Cook somehow falls to us in the first we run to the podium and draft him!

FRCDFED
12-03-2015, 11:59 AM

Yes, Charles isn't getting any younger; however, the depth at RB next year will be Charles, West, Ware. Therefore, unless there is a special talent available that will bump any of those three out of the rotation then that draft pick is better spent elsewhere. Maybe address RB after next season.

Draft Order:

1. BPA
2. BPA
3. BPA
4. BPA
5. BPA
6. BPA
7. BPA

hitchief
12-04-2015, 11:07 AM
Yes, Charles isn't getting any younger; however, the depth at RB next year will be Charles, West, Ware. Therefore, unless there is a special talent available that will bump any of those three out of the rotation then that draft pick is better spent elsewhere. Maybe address RB after next season.

Draft Order:

1. BPA
2. BPA
3. BPA
4. BPA
5. BPA
6. BPA
7. BPA

agree with this line of thinking as the team is pretty strong across the board but could use upgrades at almost all positions.

so you pick the BPA and they either play or plug and play very soon.

RunKC
12-11-2015, 02:00 PM
Week 14 version

OL-we need to draft one in the first 3 rounds no matter what simply for depth. If Allen leaves, we need to draft in higher, preferably round 2.

WR-this is a huge need. If the Chiefs are going "all in" and refuse to go QB, I think this would be a high priority in round 1. Right now we are ****ed if Maclin goes down.

DL-DeVito is probably not coming back, but Nick Williams looks like a really solid rotational DE. Sure we have Roches as our developmental player, but I'd like to add one more.

Safety-We are losing one of Abdullah or Branch, maybe both. The hope is that we can bring one of these guys back and draft our 4th S to rotate.

CB-Deep, talented class. I'd draft one in the first 3 Rds if the talent was there. It's a need whether we sign Sean Smith or not.

So I've got our top 3 needs as follows:

1. WR
2.OT
3.CB

Note: this is with the thought that our brass are all in and won't pick QB.