PDA

View Full Version : Football Power Rankings

bevischief
12-01-2015, 11:20 AM
PFT’s Week 13 Power Rankings

Posted by Mike Florio on December 1, 2015, 7:17 AM EST
Cam Newton
AP
1. Panthers (11-0; last week No. 2): It’s been a year since they’ve lost a regular-season game. The real question for the rest of the current year is whether they’ll win three games in the postseason.

2. Broncos (9-2; No. 6): The Broncos could be paying a quarterback $19 million next year, after all. Just not the one they thought.

3. Patriots (10-1; No. 1): Will Tom Brady eventually be throwing passes to Tony Gonzalez, Randy Moss, and/or Terrell Owens?

4. Bengals (9-2; No. 4): The Bengals are back. As long as they don’t have to play at night.

5. Cardinals (9-2; No. 3): Good teams find a way to win even when they’re playing the opposite of good.

6. Vikings (8-3; No. 8): The Steve Hutchinson/Nate Burleson Tit-for-Tat Bowl finally has both teams playing for something other than spite.

7. Packers (7-4; No. 5): If Peyton Manning or Tom Brady had young teammates who weren’t spending enough time preparing to play, the last thing either of them would need to do is complain about it publicly.

8. Seahawks (6-5; No. 9): Russell Wilson played better than ever with Marshawn Lynch not in the building. Which may not be a coincidence.

9. Chiefs (6-5; No. 10): Yes, the 49ers kept the wrong guy.

10. Steelers (6-5; No. 7): That fake field goal was so bad that the Colts were laughing at it.

11. Colts (6-5; No. 14): 4-0 is the new 40.

12. Texans (6-5; No. 15): Few teams have improved more than this one during the season, and few can figure out how they did it.

13. Raiders (5-6; No. 13): Every time the Raiders give us a reason to give up on them, they give us a reason not to.

14. Bills (5-6; No. 12): They need to finish 4-1 to match what they did without LeSean McCoy, Tyrod Taylor, Charles Clay, and Rex Ryan.

15. Jets (6-5; No. 16): Stephen Ross no longer owns the Dolphins; the Jets do.

16. Bears (5-6; No. 20): Thirty years after a team to never forget, the Bears are gradually piecing together a season to remember.

17. Washington (5-6; No. 25): I like that at home; I hate that on the road.

18. Giants (5-6; No. 11): How bad would they have played in Washington if they hadn’t had two weeks to get ready?

19. Falcons (6-5; No. 17): Matty Ice has a modified nickname.

20. Buccaneers (5-6; No. 18): Is it a drop if it never actually touches your hands?

21. Lions (4-7; No. 24): The Lions have mastered Cooterball.

22. Ravens (4-7; No. 28): Thanks, Ravens, for the annual reminder that the Texans actually paid many millions of dollars to Matt Schaub.

23. Rams (4-7; No. 21): Apparently, “kiss my ass” comes from the Competition Committee’s special parliamentary procedures known as Robert’s Rules of Odor.

24. Dolphins (4-7; No. 22): If the Dolphins fire someone every time they lose to the Jets, the Dolphins may eventually have no one left to fire.

25. Jaguars (4-7; No. 23): At least folks in Jacksonville can enjoy the holidays without being distracted by playoff seedings.

26. Eagles (4-7; No. 26): At this rate, the Eagles may give the Titans a first-round pick to take Chip Kelly.

27. Saints (4-7; No. 27): Drew Brees will make it to 45 only if he becomes a kicker.

28. Chargers (3-8; No. 31): The Chargers are so bad that beating the Jaguars is actually an upset.

29. 49ers (3-8; No. 29): The 49ers are so bad that Rob Schneider is calling them out.

30. Cowboys (3-8; No. 19): At least the expectations won’t be quite as high next year.

31. Titans (2-9; No. 30): If the NFL played 45 minutes game, the Titans would be a lock for the Super Bowl.

32. Browns (2-9; No. 32): A Pick Six and a Kick Six and anyone who watched that one got sick at least six times.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/page/2/

Quesadilla Joe
12-01-2015, 11:27 AM
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/12/01/carolina-panthers-undefeated-cam-newton-offense-nfl-week-12

Peter King's power rankings...

1. Carolina (11-0). They have one game remaining that would concern me: Dec. 20, at Giants. The Giants have been giant killers over the years, starting with beating the 13-0 Broncos behind Kent Graham in 1998. Panthers should be 13-0 entering New Jersey on Dec. 20, FYI, if they beat the bad Saints and the badly slumping Falcons the next two weeks.

2. Denver (9-2). Just 24 days ago the Broncos were 7-0, and fans were praying, “Just get us through the season with Manning without disaster.” Today they’re praying, “Whatever you do, don’t take Osweiler out of the lineup.”

3. New England (10-1). I would likely still have them No. 1, even with a loss, if Gronkowski wasn’t iffy. His injury made all the difference Sunday night. Well, that plus the muffed punt by Chris Harper, the practice-squadder the Pats cut Monday.

4. Arizona (9-2). Man, Bruce Arians really doesn’t like officials, does he?

5. Cincinnati (9-2). As dangerous a team as there is in football when Andy Dalton is on.

6. Minnesota (8-3). Only two teams have allowed fewer than 200 points: the Vikings, whom Mike Zimmer coaches now (194), and Cincinnati, where Zimnmer was the longtime defensive coordinator (193).

7. Green Bay (7-4). Entering December, the Pack is 2-2 in division games. Losses to Lions and Bears … at Lambeau. Road-field advantage Thursday night at Detroit?

8. Seattle (6-5). Maybe without the voice in the back of his head whispering, “Get it to Graham,” Russell Wilson can have more of the same boffo games that he had Sunday against Pittsburgh.

9. Pittsburgh (6-5). Seattle 39, Pittsburgh 30. One of the most impressive losses of the season. The Steelers will be heard from in January.

10. Kansas City (6-5). If the CBS crew doing this week’s Chiefs game at Oakland wants a fun factoid, here’s one they could use Sunday: “Well, it’s December, and it’s notable that Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith hasn’t thrown an interception since September.”

11. Indianapolis (6-5). Matt Hasselbeck is older than the coach of the Miami Dolphins. Hasselbeck has out-won Dan Campbell this year, too.

12. Houston (6-5). All of the sudden the Sunday night game in 12 days, New England at Houston, has Tom Brady saying, “Gronk? Gronk? Need you in this one, buddy. Need a big guy over the middle.”

13. New York Jets (6-5). I should have written a good chunk about the best I’d ever seen Ryan Fitzpatrick—his Sunday performance against Miami, featuring the beautiful music he made with Brandon Marshall downfield.

14. Washington (5-6). Read the Kirk Cousins story today on our site. You’ll learn a lot about a very good person and a quarterback who just might be a long-term solution for Washington.

15. Buffalo (5-6). Did someone kidnap the Bills’ pass rush? Last six games: Seven sacks. Fairly disgraceful—and that’s even with a terrific performance beating up Tom Brady eight days ago.

Also receiving votes…

16. Chicago (5-6). Fairly soon a lot of people could be saying, “Boy, was I wrong about Jay Cutler.”

17. Tampa Bay (5-6). The loss of rookie linebacker Kwon Alexander to a four-game PED suspension will be a big blow.

18. Oakland (5-6). Derek Carr in Nashville: 330 yards, no picks, fifth win of the year. We’re getting used to this.

19. New York Giants (5-6). Giants-Jets Sunday! All aboard the Mediocrity Train! Combined record: 11-11!

20. Detroit (4-7). Could have put Atlanta (6-5) here with two more wins. One problem: no trust in the Falcs.

Mile High Mania
12-01-2015, 11:28 AM
So many of these out there... http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000592115/article/nfl-power-rankings-week-13-carolina-panthers-claim-no-1

Broncos #5, Chiefs #10 here

loochy
12-01-2015, 11:31 AM
30. Cowboys (3-8; No. 19): At least the expectations won’t be quite as high next year.

this warms my heart

MotherfuckerJones
12-01-2015, 12:05 PM
So many of these out there... http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000592115/article/nfl-power-rankings-week-13-carolina-panthers-claim-no-1

Broncos #5, Chiefs #10 here

I'm just glad to be relevant. Boy it sure seems were destined for a third matchup don't it? Just have that feeling.

Rausch
12-01-2015, 12:06 PM
I'm just glad to be relevant. Boy it sure seems were destined for a third matchup don't it? Just have that feeling.

If we're healthy by then I really like our chances...

staylor26
12-01-2015, 12:17 PM
If we're healthy by then I really like our chances...

And if Reid commits to this power running game/play action offense. Ware has the ability/playing style to get us deep into the playoffs. Best thing about him is he's still fresh too.

Mile High Mania
12-01-2015, 12:18 PM
As I mentioned yesterday, as long as the game is in Denver - I don't care who they play. :D

Denver can secure a #2 seed at this point, they control their destiny at this point being tied with CIN for that spot and playing them in Denver in 4 weeks.

Some are thinking #1 ... and while nice, it's hard to find a 2nd loss for NE at this point. It's not unthinkable, but not too realistic.

Hell, I think DEN is locked into the 3 seed, I like their chances down the stretch, but the game @ PIT and CIN in Denver, those are tough matchups for most teams.

Rausch
12-01-2015, 12:22 PM
And if Reid commits to this power running game/play action offense. Ware has the ability/playing style to get us deep into the playoffs. Best thing about him is he's still fresh too.

By the playoffs West should be good to go again. That's one beastly 1-2 punch at HB.

Our line needs to get healthy as well though. Defenses like the Bengals or Donks could eat a banged up line alive...

Frosty
12-01-2015, 12:22 PM
Power rankings are stupid but at least some of the comments in this one are amusing.

Jets (6-5; No. 16): Stephen Ross no longer owns the Dolphins; the Jets do.

Rausch
12-01-2015, 12:24 PM
Hell, I think DEN is locked into the 3 seed, I like their chances down the stretch, but the game @ PIT and CIN in Denver, those are tough matchups for most teams.

I think the Den D has the ability to hold both those teams down and keep the game close.

If they don't I don't see Den being able to score 14 or 21 in the 4th to come back. Important thing is not giving up the big play to two teams that are able to make the big play at any time...

Mile High Mania
12-01-2015, 01:01 PM
I think the Den D has the ability to hold both those teams down and keep the game close.

If they don't I don't see Den being able to score 14 or 21 in the 4th to come back. Important thing is not giving up the big play to two teams that are able to make the big play at any time...

I'm sensing a 'big play' warning? And, I totally agree.

sd4chiefs
12-01-2015, 01:27 PM
28. Chargers (3-8; No. 31): The Chargers are so bad that beating the Jaguars is actually an upset.

:LOL:

MahiMike
12-01-2015, 01:39 PM
Chiefs (6-5; No. 10): Yes, the 49ers kept the wrong guy.

Oh no he diun!

MotherfuckerJones
12-01-2015, 01:54 PM
I see that little putz Setsuna isn't puffing his chest about the Jaguars anymore

Hydrae
12-01-2015, 02:03 PM
Chiefs (6-5; No. 10): Yes, the 49ers kept the wrong guy.

Oh no he diun!

I knew that when they kept Kaep in the lineup and Alex was still there. I felt at the time that they should have put Alex back in at the end of that season and into the playoffs. But then again, I am not an NFL GM. :shrug:

Baby Lee
12-01-2015, 04:25 PM
Would note that 4 of our 5 losses are in the top 7, as is one of our wins.

Two, maybe three were winnable.

We're still underperforming, but we're underperforming as a potential championship contender. We're not underperforming because we're littered with scrubs.

It's one thing to point out that our destiny is in our hands, but it's even more important to point out that our potential for greatness is limited only be what's in their heads.