PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Andy Reid's beautiful mind was on display on this Chiefs touchdown play

arrwheader
12-09-2015, 02:00 PM
Re-post from Arrowhead Pride but I thought it was worth posting here for discussion. What do you think about Andy Reids play calling :).

http://Andy Reid's beautiful mind was on display on this Chiefs touchdown play

Andy Reid is an exceptional offensive football mind.

That statement really should be filed somewhere in the "duh" file, but it's something we lose sight of quite often. Reid has some maddening tendencies (his over-reliance on the pass, the predictable screens, clock management), but his overall ability to draw up plays that take advantage of opposing teams' weaknesses is one of the absolute best in the NFL.

Every now and then we see entire games in which Reid is about a dozen steps ahead of the opposing coach, having found some specific weakness to exploit. What's REALLY fun are games where Reid has also anticipated the adjustments that would be made to his exploitation of a team's weakness, and so he then exploits THAT. Those games are fairly rare (think the MNF destruction of the Patriots as the best example), but it sure is fun when Big Red has things clicking.

Reid didn't have a game like that Sunday, but he DID serve us all up a reminder that he's more than capable of flummoxing opposing teams' defenses with creative play design.

With 11:19 left in the fourth quarter, the Chiefs were facing second and goal on the one yard line. The Raiders had held strong on first down, stuffing Spencer Ware for no gain (I didn't realize that was possible, but they did it). The Chiefs were down six at the time and were looking to capitalize on a huge interception return by Josh Mauga. It was the kind of situation where being held to a field goal would be a huge stand for the opposition. The Chiefs needed a touchdown.

Reid had the Chiefs line up in a pretty standard goal line package.
https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/0HFohJVzyKaSIwpCaO5AzHQohkI=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4337881/Chiefs_Pic_3.0.png

Besides having Jeremy Maclin on the line, this is pretty basic stuff. Two tight ends (Travis Kelce and Demetrius Harris), a fullback (the incomparable Anthony Sherman), and the power back (Ware).

From all appearances the Chiefs were perfectly content to use second down as another shot at having Ware hammer the ball into the end zone (I was already tasting the fantasy points). A perfectly sound strategy, but highly conservative and a little boring.

Then Reid was all, "nah, let's get weird."

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Love what Reid did with this play shift/design. Caught the Raiders totally unprepared. <a href="https://t.co/VZhUTDtJ7Y">pic.twitter.com/VZhUTDtJ7Y</a></p>&mdash; Seth Keysor (@RealMNchiefsfan) <a href="https://twitter.com/RealMNchiefsfan/status/674449840462430212">December 9, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Holy players running all over the place, Batman.

In the span of about a second and a half, the Chiefs completely changed the layout of the field. Look at this.

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/kWI5I-9ksskG-lFgXSOgmPuH6B4=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4337891/Chiefs_Pic_4.0.png

Now you've got Ware lined up wide, Kelce in the slot, and Sherman / Harris / Maclin in a bunch formation on the right side. To use a way-too-often-used phrase, that escalated quickly.

It was interesting to watch how the Raiders responded. To their credit, they didn't seem to panic. Clearly, each individual defender was given a man assignment in the event of a player motioning off the line of scrimmage. So they all dutifully trotted into place, lining up in man coverage.

Of course, going to a simple man coverage against this particular formation in this part of the field presents some real problems. First, it spreads your defense out in an area of the field where a quarterback sneak is a real danger. The Raiders were obviously concerned about this issue, as they kept six guys on the line of scrimmage despite all the motioning. Trent Green speculated (and I agree) that the Raiders felt all the shifting and moving was merely a window dressing to try and draw defenders from the real threat (a QB sneak).

However, by doing so the expose themselves to a numbers issue. At this part of the field, all the Chiefs need to do is gain a yard and it's over. And so Oakland defenders really can't afford to give ANY room in coverage, lest Alex Smith make a quick throw before they can close the distance.

The problem is that a bunch formation (like the one above) doesn't leave a lot of room for defenders at the line of scrimmage. The one used here is particularly tough in that regard, with each Chief staggered vertically so as to remain about as close to one another horizontally (along the line of scrimmage) as possible.

Look at poor Charles Woodson (circled). He's put in an impossible situation. There are two other defenders at the line of scrimmage, and there's simply no room for him to be there as well without risking getting in their way once the ball is snapped, especially if the routes are drawn up well (which is generally a given with Andy Reid).

Woodson could go to the far left of the other defenders to get to the line of scrimmage, but then he risks giving up an easy touchdown on a quick slant. He could go to the inside (his right) to get to the line, but then you risk Maclin simply sprinting toward the sideline or the corner of the end zone with no hope of catching him. Since the NFL allows some contact by offensive players within a yard of the line of scrimmage, shading one way or the other is BEGGING Harris and Sherman to shield him out of the play.

So Woodson hangs back a couple of yards. The thing is, this essentially dooms the play as well.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This play is a TD the moment the ball is snapped barring a stud play by the DE or awful throw. Just a numbers game. <a href="https://t.co/xVo6rC7ShQ">pic.twitter.com/xVo6rC7ShQ</a></p>&mdash; Seth Keysor (@RealMNchiefsfan) <a href="https://twitter.com/RealMNchiefsfan/status/674452681587429376">December 9, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And really, what was Woodson supposed to do about it? He drove aggressively toward the line of scrimmage, moving inside in apparent anticipation of some sort of quick slant. It's a perfectly sound strategy on his part. Remember the Seahawks / Patriots Super Bowl pass breakup? Woodson was likely hoping on beating Maclin to the catch point and disrupting him.

Of course, Reid had kept things simple. With the alignment chosen, he knew there was likely no way the man covering Maclin could make it to the line of scrimmage in time to even out the numbers, and would be unlikely to break through the wall of Sherman and Harris (Both big, strong blockers. Way too much for Woodson to move) even if he did.

Here's what things looked like as Maclin caught the ball.

https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/WCw3D_46RnN3ZC1wU0q5F50724g=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4337911/Chiefs_Pic_5.0.png

The play is over 99 percent of the time at this point. Harris and Sherman do a good job forming a wall, and Maclin simply has to fall into the end zone (though the blocking was good enough and Woodson went far enough inside that he was able to walk in).

There were only two things that could have stopped this from being a touchdown with the way the teams lined up, and both are long shots.

First, there's the possibility the defensive end makes an unbelievable play on the ball and knocks it down or picks it off. This would require an absolutely incredible reaction by a defensive end who is watching for a QB sneak. Additionally, Reid (who is seriously really, really good at this stuff) anticipated this potential danger and had Jah Reid perform a cut block on the DE. This was done to freeze the defender in place for a split second (keeping him out of the throwing lane) and to keep his hands down (you tend to keep your hands down when a 320-pound man dives at your feet).

Cut blocks can be risky because if the defender isn't taken off his feet, you're now on the ground and he's got a clear path to the quarterback. However, in this case that doesn't matter. The play call is for an instant throw. Alex needs less than half a second. He just needs that throwing lane clear. Reid executes his job and this risk becomes minimal.

The second way this play could have been stopped is still pretty remote. If Woodson anticipates the exact type of throw that's going to be made here and just HURLS himself into the blockers at the snap, there's a chance he can split them and get to Maclin or muck things up enough that another defender gets the tackle.

This is really, really unlikely though. Woodson, to get there on time, would need to commit to the idea that this is a WR screen right at the snap. Basically, it would be a guess. If Maclin is, in fact, running a slant or a fade, that move puts Woodson dead in the water. And then, of course, there's the simple fact that Harris and Sherman are really big human beings. Even if he takes the giant risk and guesses correctly, there's still no guarantee any safety not named Eric Berry is busting through those two enough to make an impact.

In short, Andy Reid dialed up a play that, unless properly adjusted to IMMEDIATELY by the Raiders (note how quickly they shifted and Smith snapped the ball. They definitely wanted to prevent Oakland from a timeout or from thinking about how badly they were out-maneuvered), was almost guaranteed a touchdown.

That kind of "here, hold my clipboard while I pants you" out-coaching is rare in the NFL, and it's worth noting when it occurs. Andy Reid has done a lot of things right this year, and this play was one of them.

The Franchise
12-09-2015, 02:05 PM
The third way that the play could have failed was if Sherman or Harris whiffed on one of their blocks.

Saul Good
12-09-2015, 02:11 PM
This kind of crap is infuriating. We're congratulating a coach for scoring when the situation is 2nd and goal from the 1? This is why coaches get cute and twind up outsmarting themselves. It was a ridiculously complicated play when you only needed a yard and had 3 cracks at it.

TimBone
12-09-2015, 02:12 PM
Is that Jah Reid that somehow managed to end up on the ground about a half second into the play in the third pic? Jesus.

Mr. Laz
12-09-2015, 02:15 PM
This kind of crap is infuriating. We're congratulating a coach for scoring when the situation is 2nd and goal from the 1? This is why coaches get cute and twind up outsmarting themselves. It was a ridiculously complicated play when you only needed a yard and had 3 cracks at it.
This

That play was a single step away from being a 99 yrd pick-6.

Just line it up and pound it in:

Sherman at fullback

Ware at RB

boom

Frosty
Wasn't Maclin's 2nd TD pretty much the same play?

loochy
OR they could go to Ware right up the middle for the same result.

Why add all of the complexity?

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
12-09-2015, 02:16 PM
Is that Jah Reid that somehow managed to end up on the ground about a half second into the play in the third pic? Jesus.

I believe, from reading the OP, that Jah Reid was doing a cut block, going low on the DE to force him to react to him not the pass.

So, yeah, he would be on the ground as Maclin was catching the ball by design.

Frosty
12-09-2015, 02:19 PM
They ran Ware on first down for no gain. With Stephenson at LG and Fulton at C, they didn't seem to be getting much push up the middle. The screen worked twice and now gives opponents something to worry about, like Alex could fake it and then run it in if the defense spreads out more to cover the screen.

RunKC
12-09-2015, 02:20 PM
This is what Pete Carroll's dumbass should have done in the SB. Only time you go full out horizontal is in that situation inside the 5.

Sully
12-09-2015, 02:22 PM

On any quick, the Tackle is cutting the DE to keep his hands down and out of the passing lane. Standard deal.

TimBone
12-09-2015, 02:33 PM
On any quick, the Tackle is cutting the DE to keep his hands down and out of the passing lane. Standard deal.
Oh, makes sense. Thanks, Sully.

Saul Good
12-09-2015, 02:34 PM
OR they could go to Ware right up the middle for the same result.

Why add all of the complexity?

Because you don't get articles written about what a genius you are when you do that.

suzzer99
12-09-2015, 02:39 PM
We could have easily been flagged for blocking while the ball was in the air.

Bob Dole
12-09-2015, 02:42 PM
This

Sherman at fullback

Poe at RB

boom

FYP

arrwheader
12-09-2015, 02:43 PM
I thought it was a pretty cool play, but i kind of agree with not just pounding it in. I guess though they tried to do that on 1st down and it didn't work. I thought the same thing about the block on the inside there, looked kind of pathetic, but they did say it was by design to stop the pick or tipped pass. Thought it was a cool over all analysis of a successful play, and it was against the raiders so bonus!

Frosty
12-09-2015, 02:47 PM

I believe you can block within a yard of the line of scrimmage.

suzzer99
12-09-2015, 02:51 PM

Ah

TLO
12-09-2015, 02:54 PM
Reid calls a good play, scores a TD, and everyone still bitches.

Got it.

Bowser
12-09-2015, 02:54 PM
Pretty brilliant to throw it to your best wide receiver 1 yard out with two blockers directly in front of him. The Raiders were daring us NOT to score on that play.

Saul Good
12-09-2015, 02:55 PM

Plus the ball was thrown behind the LOS.

raybec 4
12-09-2015, 02:56 PM
My favorite part of this whole thing is how the "article" quotes tweets from the realmnchiefsfan like he's supposed to be some brilliant football analyst who's opinion we should immediately respect.

ExtremeChief
12-09-2015, 03:07 PM
My favorite part of this whole thing is how the "article" quotes tweets from the realmnchiefsfan like he's supposed to be some brilliant football analyst who's opinion we should immediately respect.

Be nice. That's SNR's homie.

Sandy Vagina
12-09-2015, 03:09 PM

If you read more from him, you would agree that (and he humbly says the same) he is very dedicated to breaking plays down all year for the Chiefs. He does a good job over there, yet stays grounded.

Simply Red
12-09-2015, 03:18 PM
ANY other team - that's a pick 6. / Lost in the Mall

Simply Red
12-09-2015, 03:18 PM
Reid calls a good play, scores a TD, and everyone still bitches.

Got it.

:clap: hoo boy

Mr. Laz
12-09-2015, 03:21 PM
FYP
How about Sherman, Poe and Ware in the backfield

Power Wishbone! (or pistol diamond)

run left = Poe and Sherman lead block with Ware running
run right = sherman and Ware lead block with Poe running

lot of beef in the backfield :D

Donger
12-09-2015, 03:28 PM
This

Sherman at fullback

Ware at RB

boom

http://twitchy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Screen-Shot-2015-11-16-at-11.27.39-AM-300x300.png

Simply Red
12-09-2015, 03:30 PM
This

Sherman at fullback

Ware at RB

boom

I actually do agree here.

TimBone
12-09-2015, 03:37 PM
Yeah...when they scored here, I believe I noted in game chat that I still didn't like the play call. It's just the type of play that this offense can turn into a disaster. Everything from a motion or formation penalty, to a four or five yard loss when someone whiffs on a block, to a pick six. Just kind of a dangerous call for the Chiefs.

Iconic
12-09-2015, 03:39 PM
Why don't we ever use the QB sneak. It's so fucking effective- like this makes NOOOO SENSE TO ME. You are literally guaranteed at least one yard.

Mr. Laz
12-09-2015, 03:55 PM
Why don't we ever use the QB sneak. It's so fucking effective- like this makes NOOOO SENSE TO ME. You are literally guaranteed at least one yard.

Well to be fair, Alex Smith does't seem to have a feel for running the sneak. He great at taking off from the pocket but on a sneak he is just as likely to run into the back of our Olineman.

I've only seen him sneak a few times though so the sample size is limited.

ModSocks
12-09-2015, 03:57 PM

Honestly, i'd take you more seriously if you were the REALraybec 4

Sandy Vagina
12-09-2015, 03:59 PM
Well to be fair, Alex Smith does't seem to have a feel for running the sneak. He great at taking off from the pocket but on a sneak he is just as likely to run into the back of our Olineman.

I've only seen him sneak a few times though so the sample size is limited.

Maybe Andy doesn't want Alex to take a hit to the head. Smith also doesn't really have a strong lower base, so I don't see him as ideal to churning out yds.

ModSocks
12-09-2015, 04:02 PM
Maybe Andy doesn't want Alex to take a hit to the head. Smith also doesn't really have a strong lower base, so I don't see him as ideal to churning out yds.

Same. He doesn't really strike me as QB sneak kinda guy.

FlaChief58
12-09-2015, 04:08 PM
Sure they could have pounded it in, but that was a beautifully designed and executed play

ChiliConCarnage
12-09-2015, 04:17 PM

Yeah, but it never gets called as long as it isn't really egregious. Would've been a legal play in college :)

milkman
12-09-2015, 04:22 PM
Yeah, but it never gets called as long as it isn't really egregious. Would've been a legal play in college :)

Those are legal blocks in the NFL.

You can block within a yard of the LOS while the ball is in the air.
These blocks are on the LOS.

mdchiefsfan
12-09-2015, 04:23 PM
Blockers can make their blocks as long as it is within 1 yard of the LOS

suzzer99
12-09-2015, 04:27 PM
And we have quorum.

Buehler445
12-09-2015, 04:35 PM
The third way that the play could have failed was if Sherman or Harris whiffed on one of their blocks.
Maclin drops it/ Smiff throws a horrid pass also kill that bitch.

Good way to dead your QB. I can't believe Brady does it so often.

mdchiefsfan
12-09-2015, 04:39 PM
And we have quorum.

LMAO

TigeRRUppeRRcut
12-09-2015, 05:16 PM
Wasn't Maclin's 2nd TD pretty much the same play?

Yep. Only chance of stopping these plays are a bad throw or a defender that can disrupt the passing lane

Pasta Little Brioni
12-09-2015, 05:23 PM
People act like just handing it off is an auto Td ROFL It was a damn good call.

Rain Man
12-09-2015, 06:55 PM
Those are legal blocks in the NFL.

You can block within a yard of the LOS while the ball is in the air.
These blocks are on the LOS.

Blockers can make their blocks as long as it is within 1 yard of the LOS

One could make an argument that it's a lateral and not a pass as well. I'm not convinced that the ball went forward. If that's the case, the blockers can do whatever the heck they want.

jspchief
12-09-2015, 07:06 PM
The fourth way is Sherman or Harris engage in their blocking before Maclin catches the ball, resulting in a penalty that's being called pretty frequently on these plays this year.

It's good play design, but the timing is critical and teams have been getting dinged for blocking too soon a lot.

Hammock Parties
12-09-2015, 07:06 PM
I have a problem with Alex getting credit for a TD pass on that. Total bullshit.

Credit Maclin with a TD run.

Direckshun
12-09-2015, 07:10 PM
Jesus, you guys are fucking ridiculous.

Brock
12-09-2015, 07:16 PM
I have a problem with Alex getting credit for a TD pass on that. Total bullshit.

A forward pass is a forward pass.

RINGLEADER
12-09-2015, 07:20 PM

This was my question. Was the fact that it was a lateral mean you can block early?

RINGLEADER
12-09-2015, 07:23 PM
Yeah...when they scored here, I believe I noted in game chat that I still didn't like the play call. It's just the type of play that this offense can turn into a disaster. Everything from a motion or formation penalty, to a four or five yard loss when someone whiffs on a block, to a pick six. Just kind of a dangerous call for the Chiefs.

It's just the kind of call that results in a false start, an incompletion, a sack, then a field goal.

But, to the team's credit, they have been converting more and more like a real offense lately (see the Kelce and Maclin TD throws last week).

RINGLEADER
12-09-2015, 07:23 PM

This wasn't a forward pass.

TribalElder
12-09-2015, 07:25 PM
Andy doesn't call plays on game day

Hammock Parties
12-09-2015, 07:38 PM

Except when it's thrown by an ass.

Saccopoo
12-09-2015, 08:25 PM

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=294745

Saccopoo
12-09-2015, 08:27 PM

Of course you would.

Don't you have a bet where you have to felate a pig if Smith passes for so many TD's this season?

DaFace
12-09-2015, 08:40 PM

:spock: He's the author of the article, genious.

DaFace
12-09-2015, 08:42 PM
One could make an argument that it's a lateral and not a pass as well. I'm not convinced that the ball went forward. If that's the case, the blockers can do whatever the heck they want.

In the broadcast, they said it was ruled as a lateral, but looks like they eventually called it a forward pass in the play-by-play.

DaFace
12-09-2015, 08:46 PM
Jesus, you guys are fucking ridiculous.

Pretty much this. It was a good play that worked perfectly, yet we're bitching about it. It is a well-written article that breaks down the play FAR better than anyone EVER does around here, yet people make fun of it as if it's stupid somehow.

In terms of pure Chiefs news and analysis, ArrowheadPride is WAY beyond anything you find on CP these days.

O.city
12-09-2015, 08:48 PM
Pretty much this. It was a good play that worked perfectly, yet we're bitching about it. It is a well-written article that breaks down the play FAR better than anyone EVER does around here, yet people make fun of it as if it's stupid somehow.

In terms of pure Chiefs news and analysis, ArrowheadPride is WAY beyond anything you find on CP these days.

Too many here think they have an idea of what's going on, then when someone actually shows what and explains why, they don't like it

jspchief
12-09-2015, 09:16 PM
Sad but true. CP sucks for football/Chiefs talk.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
12-09-2015, 09:26 PM

Yea we should totally take away all credit from Tom Brady's throws to Edelman too.

Moron.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
12-09-2015, 09:27 PM
TBH I was more impressed by the other play call that resulted in a Maclin TD. You see a defender try to jump into the passing lane after the fake handoff

Saccopoo
12-09-2015, 09:37 PM

Holy shit.

That's like a kick to the nuts man.

That's as real as it gets kids.

DaFace is right. This place has turned into a chit chat site with a Chiefs background/desktop.

Step up your fucking games boys and girls!

STEP IT UP!!!

DaFace
12-09-2015, 09:39 PM
Holy shit.

That's like a kick to the nuts man.

That's as real as it gets kids.

DaFace is right. This place has turned into a chit chat site with a Chiefs background/desktop.

Step up your fucking games boys and girls!

STEP IT UP!!!

Eh, I'm not really even complaining; I love CP for what it is. I just don't think we have any room to be bitching about real, original content that reveals something interesting about the game that we probably wouldn't have otherwise appreciated.

tonyetony
12-09-2015, 09:39 PM

Sorry Mr. Irrelevant nobody cares about your predictable trolling anymore. I just wanted to respond to one of your takes before you get perma-banned. Adios claynus.

mdchiefsfan
12-09-2015, 10:17 PM
The fourth way is Sherman or Harris engage in their blocking before Maclin catches the ball, resulting in a penalty that's being called pretty frequently on these plays this year.

It's good play design, but the timing is critical and teams have been getting dinged for blocking too soon a lot.

Not a penalty if the block occurs within 1 yard of the LOS.

MeatRock
12-09-2015, 10:36 PM

Dude, all Maclin had to do was catch the football and walk into the endzone. Don't be ridiculous. Smith deserves just as much credit for making a good throw there.

Brock
12-09-2015, 10:39 PM
Except when it's thrown by an ass.

Clever!

-King-
12-09-2015, 11:44 PM

THIS. It's not even close. AP is far superior for receiving chiefs news.
Posted via Mobile Device

tk13
12-09-2015, 11:45 PM
It's one of those plays that looks brilliant when it works, and people are going to scream when it doesn't. That's Andy Reid. I don't know why GoChiefs keeps complaining, other than attempting to troll. This kind of stuff has been Andy Reid's profile for almost 20 years now. Alex Smith has zip to do with it. He could disappear tomorrow and we're still going to throw a ton of screens and short passes that might as well be running plays, sometimes to the point of frustration. Eagles fans used to complain about the same things. Too many screens, getting away from the running game, clock management errors.

TLO
12-10-2015, 02:20 AM
THIS. It's not even close. AP is far superior for receiving chiefs news.
Posted via Mobile Device

What kind of "Chiefs news"are you expecting to get?

Mav
12-10-2015, 05:26 AM

Not on screens.....

Mav
12-10-2015, 05:28 AM
Sad but true. CP sucks for football/Chiefs talk.

Because idiots like Clay destroy real football talk.

Aspengc8
12-10-2015, 07:30 AM
Too many here think they have an idea of what's going on, then when someone actually shows what and explains why, they don't like it

This is why you see less and less posts from the guys that actually know the game and played or coached beyond high school level.

mdchiefsfan
12-10-2015, 07:45 AM
This is why you see less and less posts from the guys that actually know the game and played or coached beyond high school level.

Yup, which is unfortunate.

Sully
12-10-2015, 08:02 AM
In the broadcast, they said it was ruled as a lateral, but looks like they eventually called it a forward pass in the play-by-play.

Looking at the OP, Smith threw it from the 3, it was caught on the 2.

O.city
12-10-2015, 08:04 AM

Yeah, unfortunate.

loochy
12-10-2015, 09:11 AM

So I guess we should just ban everyone that didn't play or coach beyond high school.

Go make your own God damn forum where you can discuss with your "elite" friends.

Trivers
12-10-2015, 10:14 AM
So I guess we should just ban everyone that didn't play or coach beyond high school.

Go make your own God damn forum where you can discuss with your "elite" friends.

Such drama.:rolleyes:

Trivers
12-10-2015, 10:15 AM
Yeah, unfortunate.

So how do we change it?

I tried to start a thread when coaches discussed aspects of the Chiefs...and it faded away.

I highly enjoyed reading the breakdown of this play.

O.city
12-10-2015, 10:26 AM

No, just that people come here not really wanting to learn or change opinions when someone with more knowledge shows them this or that.

Not that I'm one with much knowledge, but there are some really good football minds here.

loochy
12-10-2015, 10:36 AM
So how do we change it?

I tried to start a thread when coaches discussed aspects of the Chiefs...and it faded away.

I highly enjoyed reading the breakdown of this play.

Then bump it back

kepp
12-10-2015, 10:41 AM

temper11
12-10-2015, 10:48 AM

I don't believe he did get credit for it. He is listed as 2 TDs. The one he ran for and the other was the other pass to Maclin that was a forward pass. This one was considered a lateral and the commentators said as much in the broadcast.

Chiefnj2
12-10-2015, 11:12 AM
KC has been running WR screens inside the 10 all year long. I don't think the Raiders were "surprised" by it. The big difference is that the WR's weren't executing blocks early in the season - thus all the calls for "just give it to Jamaal. Why are we running three pass plays inside the 5".

The play worked because of good blocking.

Sully
12-10-2015, 11:18 AM
KC has been running WR screens inside the 10 all year long. I don't think the Raiders were "surprised" by it. The big difference is that the WR's weren't executing blocks early in the season - thus all the calls for "just give it to Jamaal. Why are we running three pass plays inside the 5".

Also because the DE took the play off.

Frosty
12-10-2015, 11:24 AM

I think the point was that the Chiefs showed like they were going for a run heavy look and then shifted out of it put a FB and TE out there to block for Maclin. It wasn't like they did a WR bunch and ran a screen to it.

BossChief
12-10-2015, 12:54 PM
Very similar to the plays GB used to score on us.

Trivers
12-10-2015, 03:43 PM
Then bump it back

Good idea. thank you.

Hydrae
12-10-2015, 04:00 PM
Also because the DE took the play off.

Yep, right after Jah dove at his legs. Imagine that. :rolleyes:

Sully
12-10-2015, 04:18 PM
Yep, right after Jah dove at his legs. Imagine that. :rolleyes:
Do you watch that and see him coming off the ball as if he's playing all out on that snap?

Hydrae
12-10-2015, 04:53 PM
Do you watch that and see him coming off the ball as if he's playing all out on that snap?

No, I think he was supposed to be sure no one came around the end so he was not pushing up the field. I also think he was completely surprised by the pass and would not have had a chance at it at all, especially because he did do the instinctual thing and put his hands down where Jah was blocking him. The only way that DE was interrupting that play was if he left the line at the snap with his hands already up over his head. Never seen a DE do that at the snap.

Johnny Vegas
12-10-2015, 05:01 PM
Woulda coulda shoulda at least Reid wasn't one dimensional at the goaline where defenses are defending the run and now defenses have to consider this type of play as well as the run

beach tribe
12-10-2015, 05:22 PM
Agreed. I'm not impressed. Pound the rock till you score.