PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs, Seahawks contenders; Steelers, Falcons pretenders

beach tribe
12-10-2015, 05:49 PM
Chiefs, Seahawks contenders; Steelers, Falcons pretenders

Welcome to the time of year when things really become interesting in the NFL. The next four weeks will bring clarity to the currently muddled playoff picture. As usual, there are plenty of teams hoping they can do enough to keep playing well into January.

Every game, all season

Since there are so many squads still vying for postseason spots, it's worth handicapping the field at this stage. In doing so, it's also wise to operate under a designated set of rules. So this space will be devoted to teams that: 1) have a record of at least .500 or better; 2) are within one at least one game of claiming a wild-card spot; and 3) aren't alone in first place in their division. Those factors alone allow for this project to be confined to 11 teams.

There are other benefits, as well. That criteria means we can avoid dissecting the chaos that is the NFC East. It also allows for certain assumptions to be made: for example, that the postseason field will include Carolina, Arizona, New England, Denver and Cincinnati (all of whom already have won 10 games). Those factors further alleviate the need to evaluate the possibilities of all those teams hovering around the 5-7 mark. Nobody needs to waste time working out the probability of miracles happening.

Besides, there are plenty of candidates worth discussing. So here are the best guesses at who are the real contenders left in the postseason race and which teams are going to be best remembered as pretenders:

Kansas City Chiefs (7-5, second in AFC West): Kansas City has won six straight games, and the Chiefs' prospects only look better in the final four weeks of the season. Their opponents during that stretch -- San Diego, Baltimore, Cleveland and Oakland -- have a combined record of 14-34, and Kansas City has already beaten the Chargers and Raiders on the road. This isn't just about schedules, though. The Chiefs have rebounded from a 1-5 start because they've squeezed every last bit of talent out of their roster since losing Pro Bowl running back Jamaal Charles to a season-ending knee injury in Week 5. Quarterback Alex Smith hasn't thrown an interception in 305 attempts. Unknown running backs like Spencer Ware and Charcandrick West have kept the ground game viable. A defense that surrendered three 30-point efforts in the first four games has become suffocating. This is no longer a team hoping to make the playoffs. It's one that is now capable of doing some damage once it gets in. FINAL VERDICT: CONTENDER

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000598293/article/chiefs-seahawks-contenders-steelers-falcons-pretenders

Strongside
12-10-2015, 05:57 PM
Media is all over our balls right now. This usually doesn't end well, but I don't feel that way about this team.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
12-10-2015, 05:57 PM
Watch the Steelers offense tailspin against the Bengals and Broncos

TigeRRUppeRRcut
12-10-2015, 05:59 PM
We're basically Top 5 in defense and offensive efficiency - and this is before playing our final 4 games against really, really bad teams
http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-points-per-drive-statistics/2015/

ModSocks
12-10-2015, 06:01 PM
Media is all over our balls right now. This usually doesn't end well, but I don't feel that way about this team.

Same.

The difference between this team and teams in the past is that this one feels like it knows how to finish a team out.

Frosty
12-10-2015, 06:04 PM
The Steelers are basically the 2003 Chiefs with a worse running game.

kccrow
12-10-2015, 06:06 PM
I definitely don't see the Steelers as pretenders with Roethlisberger back. I'd swap them and Indy. The only advantage Indy has is they might win their division.

chiefzilla1501
12-10-2015, 06:08 PM
I definitely don't see the Steelers as pretenders with Roethlisberger back. I'd swap them and Indy. The only advantage Indy has is they might win their division.

I tend to agree with the article. The Steelers are a good team, but their schedule is brutal. All the other teams have pretty easy sailing. Even though the chiefs schedule is soft, still a good chance they lose one. Which is okay because I don't think any of these teams will win out.

Iconic
12-10-2015, 06:13 PM
I tend to agree with the article. The Steelers are a good team, but their schedule is brutal. All the other teams have pretty easy sailing. Even though the chiefs schedule is soft, still a good chance they lose one. Which is okay because I don't think any of these teams will win out.

If we manage to win out think of the fucking momentum we will have- OH MY GODDDD. I could seriously see us in the Superbowl if we manage to remain this hot.

THIS IS SUCH AN EXCITING TIME TO BE A CHIEFS FAN

scho63
12-10-2015, 06:15 PM

I DO NOT want to face the Steelers in the playoffs-they scare me the most, more than Denver or New England.

TLO
12-10-2015, 06:21 PM
We're getting all the Escalades right now.

scho63
12-10-2015, 06:22 PM

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Joe Seahawk
12-10-2015, 06:30 PM
I think we might win out. Ravens, then browns and Rams at home, finishing up at AZ which probably wont mean anything to them

Shaid
12-10-2015, 06:58 PM

Where do I pick mine up? :D

jerryforeverrice80
12-10-2015, 07:02 PM

i want a black one with tinted windows and rims.:D

SAUTO
12-10-2015, 07:08 PM
i want a black one with tinted windows and rims.:D

100 grand

CoMoChief
12-10-2015, 07:14 PM
If we manage to win out think of the fucking momentum we will have- OH MY GODDDD. I could seriously see us in the Superbowl if we manage to remain this hot.

THIS IS SUCH AN EXCITING TIME TO BE A CHIEFS FAN

Or...we run into a good team in rd 1 of the playoffs and lose.

that is the more likely scenario. Dreams crushed. 1 Arrowhead Dr...where all of the sports dreams go to die.

KChiefs1
12-10-2015, 07:40 PM

But David Carr says they win out while the Chiefs lose to SD & OAK in Arrowhead.

Bugeater
12-10-2015, 07:43 PM
I think we might win out. Ravens, then browns and Rams at home, finishing up at AZ which probably wont mean anything to them
No1curr

KChiefs1
12-10-2015, 07:49 PM

I have no doubt that the Seahags do that.

I think it will come down to you guys & Arizona. I have no faith in Carolina.

Aries Walker
12-10-2015, 08:33 PM
I DO NOT want to face the Steelers in the playoffs-they scare me the most, more than Denver or New England.

Chances are we'll be the Number 5 slot, and the Colts will be the bottom-level division winner, sooooo ...

Hydrae
12-10-2015, 08:39 PM

I almost want to lose one. All streaks come to an end and the longer it goes the more likely it is to end. I would rather that happen in the next 4 games so we can start a new streak to run into February!

Saccopoo
12-10-2015, 08:46 PM
I almost want to lose one. All streaks come to an end and the longer it goes the more likely it is to end. I would rather that happen in the next 4 games so we can start a new streak to run into February!

http://cdn3.teen.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/anna-kendrick-dude-no.gif

Losing to a shit team isn't going to make them want it more.

These guys look driven right now. They are closing out games and are really playing well on both sides of the ball.

You want the momentum to carry over into the playoffs while they are red hot.

Remember Green Bay the year they won it? Momentum.

Toby Waller
12-10-2015, 08:52 PM
just ridiculous propaganda.

After this weekend,some of the optimism may change

jspchief
12-10-2015, 09:20 PM
Steelers and Bengals are the 2 teams I want no part of in the post season.

ThaVirus
12-10-2015, 09:29 PM

Agreed. Matchup nightmares right there.

eDave
12-10-2015, 09:30 PM
Agreed. Matchup nightmares right there.

It's all in the game planning, IMO.

chiefzilla1501
12-10-2015, 09:34 PM

We still don't know how Dalton will do in a playoff game. Who knows. The game was on the road on a short week. Sean Smith just returned from suspension. And we marched on offense at will, then pussied out in the end zone. If the chiefs play their game, they can be dangerous against anybody.

Brock
12-10-2015, 09:55 PM

I doubt ben makes it to the end of the season.