PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Will the Broncos start Manning again?

Deberg_1990
12-14-2015, 05:05 PM
How long?? Soon, or wait until the playoffs start to unleash Hell on the AFC!

DENVER – Since Owen Daniels followed Gary Kubiak to Denver this spring, the veteran tight end has served as a translator for nearly everything about Kubiak’s offense. He knows how the running game should work, and how the play-action passing game is designed to function, and what plays work best in the red zone.

But now that the Broncos have been shut out of the end zone for seven consecutive quarters, including all of Sunday’s 15-12 loss to the Oakland Raiders, even Daniels is out of simple answers. Yet he knows this: The issues with Denver’s offense are far bigger than just the quarterback.

“We want Peyton to get back healthy. He's one of our guys. But Peyton or Brock, you know, I think with either situation, we have got to play way better around those guys,” Daniels told USA TODAY Sports. “We have to hold up our end of the bargain on that.”

But the Brock Osweiler or Peyton Manning question that has hovered over the Broncos through the past month, even as Kubiak so deftly managed to avoid it while Manning rehabbed his injured left foot, will soon come to a head whenever Manning is cleared to make his return to practice, even on a limited basis. And with the Broncos’ recent offensive struggles, including in a win at San Diego last week, the answer is becoming increasingly less clear.

Two weeks ago, after a home win against the New England Patriots, the only thing difficult about a decision to stick with Osweiler would be concern for Manning’s feelings. But now? The Broncos offense does not look ready to match up next week with the surging Pittsburgh Steelers, let alone ready to make a serious postseason run.

The offense the Broncos showed on Sunday, when it settled for four first-half field goals and then were shut out in the second half, was hardly better than it was when Manning was running the huddle in the first two months of the season. Many of the problems that plagued the Broncos early in the year, like a stagnant running game and a porous offensive line, remain. The Broncos, who were playing without No. 2 tailback C.J. Anderson, rushed for just 34 yards, while Osweiler was sacked five times, all in the second half, and all by Raiders outside linebacker Khalil Mack.

“We lost the line of scrimmage,” Kubiak said. “There is no doubt we got pushed around.”

This is not a new script for the Broncos.

This is a team that has been carried by defense for all but a handful of games, and Sunday was no exception. The Broncos’ shorthanded defense, playing without three of its top four safeties and without starting inside linebacker Danny Trevathan, dominated the Raiders in the first half in holding the Raiders to negative-12 yards. Yet the scoreboard read just 12-0 at halftime. Four times the Broncos drove inside the Raiders’ 25-yard line, and twice they had a first-and-goal only to be kept out of the end zone.

“I’m hot. We were not supposed to lose that game,” cornerback Chris Harris said. “Defensive-wise, we played great. I don’t know how many yards they had, we shut them down.”

That sounds like this could be a locker room headed for a split, especially after a day when there were so many players who could have been the scapegoat. There was right tackle Michael Schofield, who had such trouble blocking Mack. And there was tight end Vernon Davis, who was wide open when he dropped a fourth-down pass late in the fourth quarter. Or it could have been running back Ronnie Hillman, who averaged just 1.7 yards per carry. And there was Osweiler, who missed tight end Virgil Green in the end zone late in the first half and fumbled the ball in his own end zone for a safety.

But pointing fingers is dangerous, said veteran defensive end Antonio Smith, who insisted that the team is unified. If it didn’t split in September, when the offense first started to falter, it won’t now with such important games over the next two weeks.

“That boat has sailed. We already passed that obstacle. That was a test early in the season, and we don't do that,” Smith said. “You can't do it, and I just think, the way the chemistry of this team is, that seed never could grow.”

Instead, Smith said, the lesson from Sunday’s loss to Oakland for the entire team, not just the offense, needs to be about “capitalizing,” he said, as the Broncos head into back to back games against the Steelers and Bengals, games that could determine their postseason fate after the Broncos blew a chance on Sunday to move into first place in the AFC. Instead, while they remain in contention for a first-round bye, nothing feels secure – not even the AFC West, with the Chiefs now just two games back.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2015/12/13/peyton-manning-brock-osweiler-denver/77265980/

Mile High Mania
12-14-2015, 05:06 PM
Sure.

TimBone
12-14-2015, 05:18 PM
no1 curr

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-14-2015, 05:19 PM
I hope like hell Peyton is put back in. His career doesn't need to end on the sideline. What would be best is a Chiefs / Broncos Championship game.

bevischief
12-14-2015, 05:24 PM

Rain Man
12-14-2015, 05:32 PM
I'd rather see Osweiler in the playoffs than Manning. Is Manning a quarterback zombie? Sure. But he's more likely to put together a single team-carrying game than is Osweiler, even if it's the playoffs.

notorious
12-14-2015, 05:39 PM
They will have to if they want to make a last-ditch run.

displacedinMN
12-14-2015, 06:05 PM
Yes they will.

TribalElder
12-14-2015, 06:44 PM
Yes in the playoffs for 1 game

eDave
12-14-2015, 06:55 PM
I hope like hell Peyton is put back in. His career doesn't need to end on the sideline. What would be best is a Chiefs / Broncos Championship game.

I'm with this guy. Whatever your thoughts on Manning, I like to see guys like that go out on their own terms. Real drag to end this way.

Fuck him though.

TLO
12-14-2015, 06:59 PM
Probably so. Brock Asswielder is awful.

Iconic
12-14-2015, 07:10 PM
Osweiler starts @ PIT. If he loses that one they make the switch.

ARROW2
12-14-2015, 09:54 PM
Osweiler starts @ PIT. If he loses that one they make the switch.

If?

GloucesterChief
12-14-2015, 09:56 PM
Peyton was throwing absolute dead ducks when he was 'healthy'. Fivehead is done like a burnt steak.

tmax63
12-15-2015, 07:35 AM
I love their problem. Asswiper can run the offense like they want to but isn't very good. Fivehead is a better qb but can't run the offense because he's a statue. Neither one is a very good option.

Bob Dole
12-15-2015, 08:19 AM

His career didn't end on the sidelines. His career ended when the KC defense destroyed him.

MotherfuckerJones
12-15-2015, 08:20 AM
His career didn't end on the sidelines. His career ended when the KC defense destroyed him.

Heil Bob Dole!

Oxford
12-15-2015, 08:40 AM
Peyton was throwing absolute dead ducks when he was 'healthy'. Fivehead is done like a burnt steak.

Is his foot healed? If not he's not going to have enough velocity to be effective. But, if they are losing a playoff game, I'd bet they would bring him in to see what he had left.

Mile High Mania
12-15-2015, 08:03 PM
Take heed, citizens... Brock starts at PIT.

New World Order
12-15-2015, 08:04 PM

And the Pitt fans rejoice!

staylor26
12-15-2015, 08:15 PM
Well...mark that down as a loss.

KChiefs1
12-15-2015, 08:24 PM
Yeah because Osweiler won't be able to win from here on out.

MahiMike
12-15-2015, 08:38 PM
Osweiler will be top 10 QB next year.

MotherfuckerJones
12-15-2015, 08:41 PM
Osweiler will be top 10 QB next year.

Explain why. Thanks

GloucesterChief
12-15-2015, 08:41 PM
Is his foot healed? If not he's not going to have enough velocity to be effective. But, if they are losing a playoff game, I'd bet they would bring him in to see what he had left.

He was throwing dead ducks in week 1 when he was "healthy" I believe the foot thing is just a face saving sham.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-15-2015, 08:44 PM
Osweiler will be the tallest QB next year.

Fixed

Red Dawg
12-15-2015, 08:45 PM
Manning will start again. Last game I would think.

Squalor2
12-15-2015, 08:54 PM
fuck denver,

Iowanian
12-15-2015, 08:55 PM
This is the Broncos we are talking about.....I would rather see every QB on their roster smashed into drooling benchwarmers while they have to call jarious Jackson in to play their wildcard game.

Fuck Denver. Fuck their players. Buttfuck their fans. They should all find themselves under the hole in an outhouse near a seedy taco truck. And fuck taco John too. Right in the pussy.

Squalor2
12-15-2015, 09:09 PM
dammit debarge.

Hamwallet
12-15-2015, 09:16 PM
I want him back and running his offense in the playoffs. And then I want us to kick his ass on his own terms. That would be glorious.

trd84
12-15-2015, 09:47 PM

He's been throwing ducks the past few seasons. He just knew where to go to find a wide open guy. he didn't have to think he just reacted. He's still dangerous in the hurry up where he is calling the plays.

Squalor2
12-15-2015, 10:04 PM

keep it real vailpass

Chiefaholic
12-15-2015, 10:12 PM
The NFL is a business and Manning is the face of the franchise. No way in hell would they bench a healthy Manning and lose a playoff game. The media would hound them relentlessly.

Squalor2
12-15-2015, 10:27 PM
fiivehead. elway has to deal with a bowlin on the field.

Toby Waller
12-15-2015, 11:19 PM
of course he'll start again. Denver losing to Oakland already makes that a go.
They will more than likely lose to Pitt

TEX
12-15-2015, 11:40 PM
This is the Broncos we are talking about.....I would rather see every QB on their roster smashed into drooling benchwarmers while they have to call jarious Jackson in to play their wildcard game.

**** Denver. **** their players. Butt**** their fans. They should all find themselves under the hole in an outhouse near a seedy taco truck. And **** taco John too. Right in the pussy.

:clap: Very well said sir!