PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs have not had 3 straight winning seasons since 1997

jLoy88
12-21-2015, 03:09 AM
Enjoy this era while it lasts.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/kan/

-King-
12-21-2015, 05:20 AM
Fire Reid!
Posted via Mobile Device

Red Dawg
12-21-2015, 05:48 AM
We should hope Reid and Dorsey stay for a long time. The best franchises that win have continuity year after year. Turning over the staff and roster ever few years only leads to losing most likely.

Sandy Vagina
12-21-2015, 07:06 AM
http://37.media.tumblr.com/b0173301d69ed63e8a05125eb7ce387e/tumblr_n3n5p6ePBB1rsxqqio1_500.gif

Really is impressive. Shows that the Chiefs are back to being consistently relevant. Keeps team morale high. Helps to bring in quality free agents, and can help to retain proven players about to hit the market.

Deberg_1990
12-21-2015, 07:11 AM
Andy Reid isn't perfect but he's a damn fine football coach.

The Chiefs have a very well run organization now. Clark was right to snag Reid up right away. Look how many badly coached football teams there are around the league.

Marcellus
12-21-2015, 07:45 AM
Fire Sutton.

Mav
12-21-2015, 08:30 AM
Well here I'll get it started.

Here's to mediocrity, let the BBQ roll!

Three7s
12-21-2015, 08:47 AM
truefan.gif

Lzen
12-21-2015, 08:48 AM
I was one of these when the Chiefs were losing 5 straight who was ready to get rid of Reid (and Alex Smith, FWIW). The play calling was bad, Smith played scared, the offensive line couldn't block (how did Stephenson get a starting spot at RT?). It sucks that we had to go through that but this winning streak is pretty damn impressive. Kudos to Reid and Smith for making adjustments and never giving up on the season. Now just get us that playoff win and I'll consider it a successful season.

RustShack
12-21-2015, 08:51 AM
Remember when you all wanted them fired a couple months ago?

DJ's left nut
12-21-2015, 09:37 AM
If only this team had more talent than the one Dorsey inherited, then we'd really be in good shape.

Discuss Thrower is still an idiot.

scho63
12-21-2015, 09:48 AM
They got a long way to go to catch Marty and his 9 straight years of a winning record.

rabblerouser
12-21-2015, 09:56 AM
I'm still waiting for another playoff win.

I wasn't even in high school yet, last time the Chiefs won a playoff game...

kcchiefsus
12-21-2015, 10:06 AM
To win consistently you need a good quarterback and a good head coach, along with consistency. Since we haven't been able to find a good quarterback, besides Trent Green who was already old enough that he was never going to be here that long, we haven't had a quarterback that would consistently have this team in contention year in and year out. If we would find a quarterback in the draft FINALLY it would make everything else so much easier. I doubt it will ever happen though, this franchise is cursed.

scho63
12-21-2015, 10:21 AM
To win consistently you need a good quarterback and a good head coach, along with consistency. Since we haven't been able to find a good quarterback, besides Trent Green who was already old enough that he was never going to be here that long, we haven't had a quarterback that would consistently have this team in contention year in and year out. If we would find a quarterback in the draft FINALLY it would make everything else so much easier. I doubt it will ever happen though, this franchise is cursed.

One important thing you have missing- lack of injuries. Just ask the Ravens or Chargers about that one.

Discuss Thrower
12-21-2015, 10:23 AM
If only this team had more talent than the one Dorsey inherited, then we'd really be in good shape.

Don't expect me to pay utilities; it was your choice to let me live rent free inside your head.

O.city
12-21-2015, 10:23 AM
We've lost our best offensive player and defensive player for prolonged periods of time.

Everyone has injuries, that's where the depth comes in

VAChief
12-21-2015, 10:27 AM

We don't win 6 games this year with a young, healthy Trent Green. His best years were behind arguably the best offensive line ever assembled by the Chiefs. I like Trent, but his skill sets would not be a good fit for this team.

DJ's left nut
12-21-2015, 10:27 AM
Don't expect me to pay utilities; it was your choice to let me live rent free inside your head.

Say dumb shit and then make 'dome' references.

So you're a Jim Rome fan, eh?

You're still an idiot. And as the loudest of Clay's mindless underlings, you haven't exactly acquitted yourself well.

Please, do remind us all how much worse this team is than the 2012 team. You were so convincing the last time...

DJ's left nut
12-21-2015, 10:29 AM
We don't win 6 games this year with a young, healthy Trent Green. His best years were behind arguably the best offensive line ever assembled by the Chiefs. I like Trent, but his skill sets would not be a good fit for this team.

Green was a pretty elite triggerman so it's hard to say.

I don't know that he survives the season, but Green was outstanding at knowing exactly where to go with the ball and getting it there on time. Even with a worse line around him, had he spend 2 or 3 years in this offense, I think he'd have generally been able to pick and pop much like Rivers has done this season.

His inability to move around to avoid the hits may eventually have led to him missing too much time to be a difference maker, but I think Green was one of those kinds of quarterbacks that made his surrounding cast look better than it was; very much a poor man's Manning.

RunKC
12-21-2015, 10:29 AM
Discuss crying about people insulting his troll posts as a personal attack in 3...2...1

"But he was attacking me and not my post guys"ROFL

Saul Good
12-21-2015, 10:33 AM

Our roster reminds me of the Royals roster this year. We don't have much in the way of star players, but the depth and versatility has been amazing. Injuries seem to be a bigger factor in the league every year. Maybe the new trend is going to be building teams that can survive a war of attrition.

DJ's left nut
12-21-2015, 10:38 AM
Our roster reminds me of the Royals roster this year. We don't have much in the way of star players, but the depth and versatility has been amazing. Injuries seem to be a bigger factor in the league every year. Maybe the new trend is going to be building teams that can survive a war of attrition.

That's not a new trend - it's what Ron Wolf did in GB for years.

Horizontal roster building; depth across the team. It's essentially exactly the opposite of the stars/scrubs approach from Pioli.

I still can't understand how people forgot so quickly why those teams cratered. I mean, the obvious is Cassel but the supporting cast on those squads was just so friggen abysmal. The NFL is all about exploiting matchups and in any given game there were 3 mismatches on either side of the ball for the Chiefs because Pioli simply couldn't firm up the depth on this roster.

And unlike Pioli, Dorsey has shown a willingness and an ability to go kick over every rock trying to find a contributor. He uses every single spot on this roster to great effect, as opposed to Pioli that only seemed to give a shit about the top 25 or so and let the remaining half of the roster atrophy to the point that most of the guys we cut never played another NFL game.

Dorsey's not doing anything new here - he's doing what he learned under Wolf with the Packers and its absolutely the right way to go about doing things.

KCChiefsFan88
12-21-2015, 10:48 AM

Agreed, and I am a big Trent Green fan.

Trent Green would have gotten killed behind this offensive line.

VAChief
12-21-2015, 10:53 AM
Green was a pretty elite triggerman so it's hard to say.

I don't know that he survives the season, but Green was outstanding at knowing exactly where to go with the ball and getting it there on time. Even with a worse line around him, had he spend 2 or 3 years in this offense, I think he'd have generally been able to pick and pop much like Rivers has done this season.

His inability to move around to avoid the hits may eventually have led to him missing too much time to be a difference maker, but I think Green was one of those kinds of quarterbacks that made his surrounding cast look better than it was; very much a poor man's Manning.

I would also say AS likely doesn't go 13-3 with that offense Trent had. Either one of them take us to a SB in 95 and maybe 97.

C3HIEF3S
12-21-2015, 11:00 AM
Keeping a team together that's 1-5 is pretty damn astounding.

mcaj22
12-21-2015, 11:06 AM
Fire Sutton.

That was still a valid argument in the beginning of the season until Sutton started adjusting/putting guys in better spots/rotating players.

Discuss Thrower
12-21-2015, 11:08 AM
Say dumb shit and then make 'dome' references.

So you're a Jim Rome fan, eh?

You're still an idiot. And as the loudest of Clay's mindless underlings, you haven't exactly acquitted yourself well.

Please, do remind us all how much worse this team is than the 2012 team. You were so convincing the last time...

Amazing what happens when Romeo Crennel isn't the head coach isn't it?

Haven't listened to a minute of Jim Rome programing in a year, but hey, you can assume whatever you want to assume.

In regards to the OP: they've managed to get above .500 three years in a row thanks to two non consecutive seasons playing backup QBs. Awesome. Notice how they weren't competitive against teams with good quarterback play in both 2013 and now 2015.

I'll say it again as I said before the season started: the ceiling with Reid as coach and Smith at QB is one playoff win in three or four appearances. Hooray, they'll probably luck into playing Brian Hoyer in the wild card round where all they have to worry about is blocking Watt and Clowney and making sure DeAndre Hopkins doesn't skull**** the secondary. The Chiefs finally break the playoff streak only to get housed by Brady or Roethlisberger.

Next year with a harder schedule and without the services of at least one of Sean Smith, Jaye Howard and Tamba, people here will Homer it up and will think the team is just a few bounces away from a SB (Take away one Charles fumble against Denver and they win the division!!! ) and will crow about how whatever first round OL Dorsey takes in May in addition to whatever middle tier FA signings are brought in to shore up other deficiencies.

I'm not going to insult your intelligence here by rehashing the impact most rookies have.

Bottom line is the team is slightly improved over the 2013 team that ultimately got embarrassed by a one dimensional Colts team. Secondary is better and the defensive line is better, and Maclin is playing better than Bowe, but it's not going to be good enough for a serious playoff run -this year or next.

They didn't beat good teams in 2013, they beat two good teams in 2014 because of injuries to key players for Seattle (and still needed some referee help) and because they caught the Patriots when they were playing like ass early in the season. 2015 they didn't belong on the field with the Bengals defense or against Aaron Rodgers.

Of course that's not really the goal here, fans have lowered their expectations to the point of just being happy for a playoff win. Fine. I get it. I don't remember the Chiefs winning a playoff game because I was in preschool. But if they win one this year it's because they caught all the right breaks against depleted teams in both the regular season and one game in the playoffs.

The defense isn't good enough because of coaching and personnel. They're not good enough to sustain the < 17 ppg average they've earned the last eight weeks and that's the only way the team can win. It's an offensive league.

The offense isn't good enough because the line isn't good enough because of personel and coaching, and because it's a two man receiving show where both of those guys aren't perfect enough to mask the deficiencies around them. The offensive issues are compounded by a QB that doesn't take risks, takes sacks at a high clip and can't be relied upon to score points in a 2 minute drill situation because of every aforementioned factor. Unless Dorsey somehow trades for the Dallas offensive line, it's not going to be good enough.

I guess I'll be happy with a record being broken that has made the Chiefs a punchline for the better part of two decades (if they pull that out and that's not all that likely either) , but I'm not going to ever believe it's going to translate to anything meaningful beyond that. The team just flat out isn't good enough and their record this year backs that up.

DJ's left nut
12-21-2015, 11:17 AM
So in short, you're just going to bitch a lot.

You're already rationalizing away playoff wins, FFS.

You really should just root for a different team at this point. They've improved across the board (literally every position group is better) over the last 3 years and you're still just moping around. It's pretty pathetic, really.

That post right there is your Magnum Opus. It's the capstone piece on what has been a remarkable run of menstruating and bitching.

stevieray
12-21-2015, 11:22 AM

Haven't listened to a minute of Jim Rome programing in a year, but hey, you can assume whatever you want to assume.

In regards to the OP: they've managed to get above .500 three years in a row thanks to two non consecutive seasons playing backup QBs. Awesome. Notice how they weren't competitive against teams with good quarterback play in both 2013 and now 2015.

I'll say it again as I said before the season started: the ceiling with Reid as coach and Smith at QB is one playoff win in three or four appearances. Hooray, they'll probably luck into playing Brian Hoyer in the wild card round where all they have to worry about is blocking Watt and Clowney and making sure DeAndre Hopkins doesn't skull**** the secondary. The Chiefs finally break the playoff streak only to get housed by Brady or Roethlisberger.

Next year with a harder schedule and without the services of at least one of Sean Smith, Jaye Howard and Tamba, people here will Homer it up and will think the team is just a few bounces away from a SB (Take away one Charles fumble against Denver and they win the division!!! ) and will crow about how whatever first round OL Dorsey takes in May in addition to whatever middle tier FA signings are brought in to shore up other deficiencies.

I'm not going to insult your intelligence here by rehashing the impact most rookies have.

Bottom line is the team is slightly improved over the 2013 team that ultimately got embarrassed by a one dimensional Colts team. Secondary is better and the defensive line is better, and Maclin is playing better than Bowe, but it's not going to be good enough for a serious playoff run -this year or next.

They didn't beat good teams in 2013, they beat two good teams in 2014 because of injuries to key players for Seattle (and still needed some referee help) and because they caught the Patriots when they were playing like ass early in the season. 2015 they didn't belong on the field with the Bengals defense or against Aaron Rodgers.

Of course that's not really the goal here, fans have lowered their expectations to the point of just being happy for a playoff win. Fine. I get it. I don't remember the Chiefs winning a playoff game because I was in preschool. But if they win one this year it's because they caught all the right breaks against depleted teams in both the regular season and one game in the playoffs.

The defense isn't good enough because of coaching and personnel. They're not good enough to sustain the < 17 ppg average they've earned the last eight weeks and that's the only way the team can win. It's an offensive league.

The offense isn't good enough because the line isn't good enough because of personel and coaching, and because it's a two man receiving show where both of those guys aren't perfect enough to mask the deficiencies around them. The offensive issues are compounded by a QB that doesn't take risks, takes sacks at a high clip and can't be relied upon to score points in a 2 minute drill situation because of every aforementioned factor. Unless Dorsey somehow trades for the Dallas offensive line, it's not going to be good enough.

I guess I'll be happy with a record being broken that has made the Chiefs a punchline for the better part of two decades (if they pull that out and that's not all that likely either) , but I'm not going to ever believe it's going to translate to anything meaningful beyond that. The team just flat out isn't good enough and their record this year backs that up.
Damn, for a grown man, you sure act like a complete crybaby.

rabblerouser
12-21-2015, 11:23 AM
One important thing you have missing- lack of injuries. Just ask the Ravens or Chargers about that one.

I don't know if you've noticed, but we've lost our top nickel back, 2 RBs, and our Oline has been decimated.

Good teams overcome injuries.

The Packers had 25 people on IR in 2010. They won the Super Bowl anyway.

Discuss Thrower
12-21-2015, 11:24 AM
Damn, for a grown man, you sure act like a complete crybaby.

It's almost like I've learned pattern recognition or something.

DJ's left nut
12-21-2015, 11:27 AM
I don't know if you've noticed, but we've lost our top nickel back, 2 RBs, and our Oline has been decimated.

Good teams overcome injuries.

The Packers had 25 people on IR in 2010. They won the Super Bowl anyway.

No kidding. The Chiefs haven't been hit as hard as the Ravens or Chargers, but I'd put them at above average in terms of the dings they've suffered through this year.

3 wins in a row without Houston (not to mention the entire comeback against the Bills without him). Losing Charles and Gaines. DeVito and Bailey gone for long stretches. Poe's slow return to form.

I don't think the Chiefs have to apologize for any good health this season. A few teams have had worse but many have had better.

Sandy Vagina
12-21-2015, 11:28 AM

No. You're just a twat with no substance or mettle.

http://i1.celebixy.pl/70597142a406597a566304bf6fac956e618c13ea/tumblr_lffkrg7nv61qex40do1_500-gif

BigRichard
12-21-2015, 11:28 AM
Never wanted to get rid of Reid but wanted to see Alex gone. Still not a fan of Alex. Need to keep looking for a better prospect.

Sandy Vagina
12-21-2015, 11:29 AM
No kidding. The Chiefs haven't been hit as hard as the Ravens or Chargers, but I'd put them at above average in terms of the dings they've suffered through this year.

3 wins in a row without Houston (not to mention the entire comeback against the Bills without him). Losing Charles and Gaines. DeVito and Bailey gone for long stretches. Poe's slow return to form.

I don't think the Chiefs have to apologize for any good health this season. A few teams have had worse but many have had better.

Sounds wrong to say, but don't forget Jeff Allen... and then there's Ben Grubbs. Two decent starters... replaced by scrubs, really.

stevieray
12-21-2015, 11:36 AM
or you just like being miserable and it's a self fulfilling prophecy.

:shrug:

staylor26
12-21-2015, 11:37 AM
I've already said it a million times, but Discuss is the biggest idiot on the board bar none. What a fucking tool.

brucey_72
12-21-2015, 11:50 AM
I'm still waiting for another playoff win.

I wasn't even in high school yet, last time the Chiefs won a playoff game...

Last time the Chiefs won a playoff game I wasn't quite 3 years old yet.

UK_Chief
12-21-2015, 12:32 PM
Reid and Dorsey get some shit but overall they've done a good job. Win a playoff game and I'm sold

Chiefspants
12-21-2015, 12:38 PM

More and more I've learned that the playoffs in any sport are a complete crapshoot. The trick for any GM should be to build a playoff caliber team, because ANYTHING can happen come playoff team.

Do I expect Alex and Andy to win the Super Bowl? No.

But did anyone expect Joe Flacco or Tom Coughlin's teams to go all the way? Absolutely not.

The fact that this team can compete with the best should excite anybody. Waving away playoff contention as if it isn't a major accomplishment puts you in a confusing place as a fan.

rockymtnchief
12-21-2015, 12:48 PM
More and more I've learned that the playoffs in any sport are a complete crapshoot. The trick for any GM should be to build a playoff caliber team, because ANYTHING can happen come playoff team.

Prime example, a sub-500 Seattle team beating a good Saints team a few years back in the first round of the playoffs.

Shekelsteinberg
12-21-2015, 12:49 PM

This whole post made me cringe. You should be embarassed tbh fam.

Discuss Thrower
12-21-2015, 01:07 PM
The fact that this team can compete with the best should excite anybody. Waving away playoff contention as if it isn't a major accomplishment puts you in a confusing place as a fan.

Oh they "competed" with Green Bay this year, didn't they.

Chiefspants
12-21-2015, 01:20 PM

Football is a hard game. Almost every NFL team gets blown out at least once a season. If that's all it took for you to waive the white flag, the Chiefs might not be for you.

O.city
12-21-2015, 01:25 PM
Green Bay really competed with denver this year huh?

Rausch
12-21-2015, 01:41 PM

Do I expect Alex and Andy to win the Super Bowl? No.

But did anyone expect Joe Flacco or Tom Coughlin's teams to go all the way? Absolutely not.

We have yet to prove we can beat a team with a top 10 offense.

That we'll have to prove in the playoffs.

The good news for us is there is no healthy AFC team with a top 10 offense...

Chiefspants
12-21-2015, 02:17 PM
We have yet to prove we can beat a team with a top 10 offense.

That we'll have to prove in the playoffs.

The good news for us is there is no healthy AFC team with a top 10 offense...

It's true that this team has a lot to prove.

Luckily the AFC is wide open this year. So wide that some success in the playoffs isn't out of the question.

I'd like to think my expectations and assessment of the team is fairly reasonable.

I won't lie, the continuous moping about the team is getting pretty tiring. Is it possible we get bounced from the first round? Sure. In fact I still don't think Alex and Andy can lead a championship team.

But that doesn't mean I won't enjoy the ride while it lasts.

tk13
12-21-2015, 02:17 PM
Reid is what he is... and he hasn't changed in two decades of coaching. He'll abandon the run, make time management errors and become obsessed with the short passing game.

That said, the guy has coached in the NFL for 17 years now. He has had a losing season 3 times. That is an amazing accomplishment. There aren't many coaches who've done better. He has a legit shot to finish top 10 all time in coaching wins if he coaches at least 2-3 more years.

TLO
12-21-2015, 02:22 PM
http://i.imgur.com/IVw7QRs.gif

KChiefs1
12-21-2015, 02:30 PM
They got a long way to go to catch Marty and his 9 straight years of a winning record.

With his every other year of 13-3.

bdj23
12-21-2015, 06:16 PM
This whole post made me cringe. You should be embarassed tbh fam.

Shekelsteinberg
Tbh
Fam
Cringe

Hi 4chinz

milkman
12-21-2015, 08:18 PM

Martyocrity for the MF.......something.

milkman
12-21-2015, 08:20 PM
I think that Discuss makes some valid points.

I can't agree with much of it, however.

The one point he makes about this being an offensive league is true, but only in the regular season.

Teams winning the SB are still winning because of defense.

Saccopoo
12-21-2015, 09:04 PM

That might have been the best offensive line in the history of the NFL.

beach tribe
12-21-2015, 09:22 PM

NE gets excused of getting their ass stomped by us because they were playing shitty early in the season, but we get no such treatment for our early season blunders.

I'm glad I'm not the only person here who thinks you are a fucking whiney bitch.

Squalor2
12-21-2015, 10:11 PM

im just going to copy your post on a chiefs forum

guess you arent a chiefs fan?

Bearcat
12-21-2015, 10:16 PM
No. You're just a twat with no substance or mettle.

http://i1.celebixy.pl/70597142a406597a566304bf6fac956e618c13ea/tumblr_lffkrg7nv61qex40do1_500-gif

Oh, the irony of using House... LMAO