PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs What do you want the Chiefs to do with their FAs?

Pages : [1] 2

pugsnotdrugs19
12-21-2015, 07:11 PM
This is an idea that's really been going through my head, especially with the Jah Reid re-signing. I think Reid may be provided some camp competition, but I believe they plan to start him next year. Which brings me to this question...

What do you want the FO to do with the rest of our upcoming FAs?

Roughly 31 million in cap space right now and 6 of that goes to draft picks. 25 million left, with potential to go up a couple million via cuts.

Personally, as of this day, I consider Berry, DJ, and Howard must keeps. These guys are playing at their highest levels and they don't have any true potential replacements on the surface. It will be costly to do so as well.

Then, I think if Tamba wants to truly be a Chief for life, you try to bring him back at a discount and hopefully Ford is ready to take over at least half the downs.

I think Marcus Peters' emergence and potential makes Sean Smith the most expendable of the class. If he can grow into the top 10, top 5 corner he can truly be, they need to save the cash here. (Though they likely won't have enough anyway)

Would also like to keep either Abdullah or Branch with the $ left at that point.

Keep in mind-- Kelce, Poe and Fisher are all due the following year and while Fisher will likely receive a 1st round tender for 2017, the other two will command nice contracts as well.

The Chiefs deep talent pool has created a nice problem, and one that fortunately we can wait a little longer to delve into as the 2015 season rolls along. Nonetheless, tough decisions are ahead and I'd like to see what different individuals want to take place.

In the meantime, go Chieeeeeeeeeeefssssssss

O.city
12-21-2015, 07:14 PM
They can keep who they want, money shouldn't be an issue.

I love him, but Charles is going to be an interesting case. May end up cut

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-21-2015, 07:16 PM
You think Sean Smith is expendable ???? !!!!

You're a dumbass !

CapsLockKey
12-21-2015, 07:17 PM
I thought Howard was already given an extension. At least I recall hearing there were talks recently.

Mr. Laz
It's all going to depend on who is asking for what.

offensive needs:
RT
TE
WR

Defensive needs:
CB
CB
MLB

ModSocks
Pay them all the monies!

pugsnotdrugs19
12-21-2015, 07:18 PM
You think Sean Smith is expendable ???? !!!!

You're a dumbass !

Sorry that I don't think it's a good idea to give a 29 year old corner 10 million a year when you have a kid coming up with elite potential? :shrug:

SAUTO
12-21-2015, 07:19 PM
I can't see them cutting Charles

milkman
12-21-2015, 07:19 PM
I think we need to draft DJ's replacement, unless he gives a hometown discount, and keep Smith.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-21-2015, 07:20 PM
They can keep who they want, money shouldn't be an issue.

I love him, but Charles is going to be an interesting case. May end up cut

I get what you're saying, but given that Andy has praised Jamaal as one of the greatest backs ever, I can't see them cutting him loose after an injury.

And it may be better for the team, I don't know, but I wouldn't bank on it.

O.city
12-21-2015, 07:20 PM
I can't see them cutting Charles

I don't think k they will, but man, I dunno.

O.city
12-21-2015, 07:22 PM
I think dj has been the most important player on the defense this year, with Hali being a close 2nd.

milkman
12-21-2015, 07:22 PM
Sorry that I don't think it's a good idea to give a 29 year old corner 10 million a year when you have a kid coming up with elite potential? :shrug:

You keep the best corners for as long as you can while they remain productive.

We don't know yet what we have with Gaines.

Peters would be your only sure thing.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-21-2015, 07:25 PM
You keep the best corners for as long as you can while they remain productive.

We don't know yet what we have with Gaines.

Peters would be your only sure thing.

This is true, but to give out a big contract to a guy like that for past production could cripple the team for a couple years financially.

If they like what they've seen out of Nelson and Gaines, even in practice, and they like the draft class, I'm not sure you keep him.

I still remember Gaines being named a year two breakout player by Louis Riddick on ESPN this August. I think they like him a lot, and most everyone comes back as good or better from ACL's these days. Hopefully it's the case here.

BossChief
12-21-2015, 07:28 PM
With rollover, we will have 40m in cap space.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-21-2015, 07:30 PM
Forgot about the rollover, thanks Boss

Also, does anyone know the max amount that can be rolled over?

I mean surely a team with 30 mill of space right now can't roll all of that over...

DaneMcCloud
12-21-2015, 07:30 PM
Keep everyone but Avant and Stephenson

DaneMcCloud
12-21-2015, 07:31 PM

Jah Reid's on that list so I don't know how that affects the $40 million number?

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-21-2015, 07:31 PM

Peters is great , he's gonna have his own Island but he can't cover both sides of the field.

Mr. Laz
12-21-2015, 07:32 PM

People on CP are saying give almost 20 million of that to Eric Berry and Sean Smith. Who knows, Smith might be asking for more than 10 mill per.

DaneMcCloud
12-21-2015, 07:33 PM
People on CP are saying give almost 20 million of that to Eric Berry and Sean Smith. Who knows, Smith might be asking for more than 10 mill per.

The average might be ten but the true number could be considerably less

Mr. Laz
12-21-2015, 07:34 PM
Peters is great , he's gonna have his own Island but he can't cover both sides of the field.
Need 3 cornerbacks that can basically start ... 2 edge, 1 slot

Need another 2 imo as viable backups who can step in during injury and play special teams.

5 corner backs needed in this pass happy NFL imo

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-21-2015, 07:35 PM
I think we need to draft DJ's replacement, unless he gives a hometown discount, and keep Smith.

This would be our best move, if we could find the next Kuechly it would be our best investment.

Mr. Laz
12-21-2015, 07:35 PM
The average might be ten but the true number could be considerably less

very true, team can backload to help the cap

BossChief
12-21-2015, 07:39 PM

Those 2 change the way opposing teams play us and take the ball away both directly and indirectly.

I'd rank priority of re-signing our guys like this

Berry
Howard
Smith
DJ
Allen
Branch/Abdullah
Devito

BossChief
12-21-2015, 07:42 PM

We just pay their first year salary as a signing bonus to make their cap number what we want year 1.

We've been doing that for awhile.

Mr. Laz
12-21-2015, 07:43 PM
Those 2 change the way opposing teams play us and take the ball away both directly and indirectly.

Berry
Howard
Smith
DJ
Allen
Branch/Abdullah
Devito
for me:

Howard (top priority to keep with a bullet)
Smith(no options on roster)

DJ
Berry (drops due to anticipated salary demands. Maybe not :shrug: )
Branch
Devito
Allen (just can't stay healthy, probably need to move on)

chiefzilla1501
12-21-2015, 07:43 PM

Given our QB situation, it makes total sense. Draft a QB early. Go all-in the next few years. Consider a reset in a few years when Alex is done and transition the team to a new QB with some rebuild.

Front-load veterans like Sean Smith and DJ. Backload the shit out of younger guys like Howard and Poe.

BossChief
12-21-2015, 07:45 PM
for me:

Howard
Smith

DJ
Berry (drops due to salary anticipated salary demands. Maybe not :shrug: )
Branch
Devito
Allen (just can't stay healthy, probably need to move on)

Eric Berry is the emotional leader of the team.

He's easily priority 1. He won't be hard to get a deal done with, though.

Mr. Laz
12-21-2015, 07:47 PM

We have no idea what he'll be asking for

I just ASSume since he made so much in previous contract that he isn't going to ask for less now. That is a lot for a safety. We have like 5 capable safeties on team now and let another good one(kurt coleman) go last FA period because had so many

milkman
12-21-2015, 07:50 PM

Is Berry really the emotional leader?

I am a big Berry fan, but from my couch, it sure looks like Peters is that guy already.

chiefzilla1501
12-21-2015, 07:52 PM
We have no idea what he'll be asking for

I just ASSume since he made so much in previous contract that he isn't going to ask for less now. That is a lot for a safety. We have like 5 capable safeties on team now and let another good one(kurt coleman) go last FA period because had so many

Safety is a tough one for me too. I love how Abdullah and Branch are playing. And I cringe thinking about the years with Kendrick Lewis. But three years straight we've gotten a guy off the street to play well for us for ridiculously cheap. I can't imagine we keep all 3. We have to make tough choices somewhere.

BossChief
12-21-2015, 07:53 PM
Eric Berry deserves to be the highest paid safety in the NFL because he is the best safety in the NFL. The fact he's the emotional leader of this team is a bonus.

The only way they shouldn't make him the highest paid safety is if ERIC BERRY cones to the table asking for less.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-21-2015, 07:57 PM

I am a big Berry fan, but from my couch, it sure looks like Peters is that guy already.

I think Berry is THAT guy and Peters is the next generation and supplying the team with a huge amount of enthusiasm. It's a great combination with Berry beating Cancer all to hell at the same time.

BossChief
12-21-2015, 08:06 PM

When you get a minute, go watch the pre game rallies and the post game celebrations in the locker room.

When Berry speaks, everyone shuts up and listens.

That role was Houston and is being filled by Berry right now and he's impressive at it.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-21-2015, 08:07 PM
Berry needs to be kept. 110% must. He's a 'game changer' in the NFL.

Let's not forget that Ron Parker has been our NB when we aren't in base defense since week 4 and has looked damn good. He has been a true hybrid this year. Again, makes SS more expendable....

milkman
12-21-2015, 08:07 PM
When you get a minute, go watch the pre game rallies and the post game celebrations in the locker room.

When Berry speaks, everyone shuts up and listens.

That role was Houston and is being filled by Berry right now and he's impressive at it.

The Chiefs web site?

BossChief
12-21-2015, 08:10 PM
The Chiefs web site?

Yes

penbrook
12-21-2015, 08:13 PM
Anyone who thinks we're cutting one of the greatest RBs of all time has officially lost their fucking mind!

Hali is already signed so he isn't a FA. DJ, Berry, and Howard are your must keeps - Tier 1
Smith, Abdullah, and Branch are your keep if you can - Tier 2 and your Stephenson and Allen are your don't re sign - Tier 3

Mr. Laz
12-21-2015, 08:13 PM

If Peters isn't now, he will be soon.

Seems to me that we missed DJ more when he was gone.

In no way am i saying that i don't like Berry, or don't want him, he's one of our best.

There is just always a price to be set.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-21-2015, 08:20 PM
Anyone who thinks we're cutting one of the greatest RBs of all time has officially lost their fucking mind!

Hali is already signed so he isn't a FA. DJ, Berry, and Howard are your must keeps - Tier 1
Smith, Abdullah, and Branch are your keep if you can - Tier 2 and your Stephenson and Allen are your don't re sign - Tier 3

Dorsey >penbrook

Direckshun
Berry and DJ are locks to return.

Howard is in talks right now.

The question will be: how do we keep Sean Smith? In my opinion you threaten him with the tag if he's asking for the moon, draft a CB in round 1, then let him loose in 2017 if he doesn't come down.

If he does come down at any point, you ink him.

Abdullah and Branch have probably played themselves out of a contract here. They'll be starters like Kurt Coleman was. So long and thanks for all the fish.

You can re-sign Sorensen on the cheap and Dorsey has a knack for landing excellent free agent safeties on the cheap. He's amazing at it.

I let Allen an Stephenson walk. I let DeVito walk, too -- he's played himself out of a contract for us.

As for Hali, I make it very clear: you'll have to sign a bargain deal with us, but if you do, you get whatever you want. You can sit out 50% of our practices, you can split snaps with Ford, you can get the best seat on the bus, whatever.

If he's not down for that, we wish him well and roll with Ford.

penbrook
Good thing about Dorsey is that say Smith does command 10 mil a year he will find a way to make the deal seem genius! A la Parker deal

Direckshun
And, by the way, I keep Charles. WTF.

penbrook
12-21-2015, 08:21 PM

The question will be: how do we keep Sean Smith? In my opinion you threaten him with the tag if he's asking for the moon, draft a CB in round 1, then let him loose in 2017 if he doesn't come down.

Abdullah and Branch have probably played themselves out of a contract here. They'll be starters like Kurt Coleman was. So long and thanks for all the fish.

You can re-sign Sorensen on the cheap and Dorsey has a knack for landing excellent free agent safeties on the cheap. He's amazing at it.

I let Allen an Stephenson walk. I let DeVito walk, too -- he's played himself out of a contract for us.

As for Hali, I make it very clear: you'll have to sign a bargain deal with us, but if you do, you get whatever you want. You can sit out 50% of our practices, you can split snaps with Ford, you can get the best seat on the bus, whatever.

Hali is better than Ford! He already has a deal in which he can make more money by reaching 8 sacks, 10 sacks and 12 sacks on the season.

O.city
12-21-2015, 08:22 PM

I think you've gotta keep one of branch or abdullah.

Branch has been a great signing for us

penbrook
12-21-2015, 08:23 PM
I think you've gotta keep one of branch or abdullah.

Branch has been a great signing for us

Abdullah was great before he got injured as well. You resign both if you can

O.city
12-21-2015, 08:24 PM
I'd be ok with dj, berry and howard, let everyone else walk,

Take that money and sign Wilkerson

BossChief
12-21-2015, 08:26 PM
We're already in talks with Howard?

Direckshun
12-21-2015, 08:27 PM
In 2013, we signed Abdullah for nothing.

2014, Kurt Coleman.

This year, Tyvon Branch.

Trust Dorsey at safety. The guy is Midas at finding cheap free agent safeties.

milkman
12-21-2015, 08:27 PM

Mentioned in a tweet a week or 3 ago.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-21-2015, 08:28 PM
Damn it. For the last time, Tamba Hali is not on the roster after this season. His 5-year deal from 2011 expires after the 2015 season.

Direckshun

Saw that news weeks ago.

SAUTO

I always thought Jimmy Wilkerson got a bad deal here. I think it's a good idea to give him another shot too

BossChief
12-21-2015, 08:29 PM

How is Wilkerson gonna get on the field?

Howard, Bailey and Poe all play a lot.

MW is gonna want a lot.

Sean Smith gives us more impact, IMO.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-21-2015, 08:29 PM

If you're getting Wilkerson, there's no point in signing Jaye.

SAUTO
12-21-2015, 08:30 PM
Damn it. For the last time, Tamba Hali is not on the roster after this season. His 5-year deal from 2011 expires after the 2015 season. extension to lessen his cap # this year. He technically has four more years iirc but they are void years

BossChief
12-21-2015, 08:30 PM
Damn it. For the last time, Tamba Hali is not on the roster after this season. His 5-year deal from 2011 expires after the 2015 season.

If he wants to play, he will be welcomed back. He won't play elsewhere.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-21-2015, 08:31 PM
extension to lessen his cap # this year. He technically has four more years iirc but they are void years

Almost all of the talk about Tamba's future suggests he's gone after this year if we don't resign him?

Confusing.

O.city
12-21-2015, 08:32 PM
Fine, let howard walk, cut charles.

Wilkerson plus Sean smith

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-21-2015, 08:33 PM
where's phil taylor ?

Direckshun
12-21-2015, 08:35 PM
Wilkerson is going to want LeBron money.

We're getting virtually the same player in Wilkerson at half the price.

Direckshun
12-21-2015, 08:35 PM
where's phil taylor ?

Riding the bench in Cleveland.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-21-2015, 08:36 PM
Fine, let howard walk, cut charles.

Wilkerson plus Sean smith

I think Wilkerson is gonna approach 100 million.

O.city
12-21-2015, 08:38 PM
True.

O.city
12-21-2015, 08:38 PM
I would rather invest at rt more than Jah reid

Direckshun
12-21-2015, 08:40 PM
Well the Jah Reid signing guarantees the Chuefs won't have to force a signing or a high pick at tackle unless they find a player they truly love.

Reid also ensures they don't have to re-sign Allen or Stephenson.

SAUTO
12-21-2015, 08:42 PM
Almost all of the talk about Tamba's future suggests he's gone after this year if we don't resign him?

Confusing.

Because he has no actual salary next year. All money on books next year had already been paid iirc.

penbrook
12-21-2015, 08:43 PM
Because he has no actual salary next year. All money on books next year had already been paid iirc.

No he signed a 4 year extension! Basically if he wants to play another year they will pay him but if wants to retire than there is no cap hit!

pugsnotdrugs19
12-21-2015, 08:43 PM
Also, on Over the Cap it says Hali is a FA after this year

DaneMcCloud
12-21-2015, 08:45 PM
Well the Jah Reid signing guarantees the Chiefs won't have to force a signing or a high pick at tackle unless they find a player they truly love.

Reid also ensures they don't have to re-sign Allen or Stephenson.

It would be outright dumb not to re-sign Allen.

He's their best LG and RT and his injuries mean he will come dirt cheap.

Stephenson can gorge himself on a Titanic sized bag of dicks.

DaneMcCloud
12-21-2015, 08:45 PM
Also, on Over the Cap says Hali is a FA after this year

He signed a one year deal.

I expect him to do the same next year, unless he decides to retire.

penbrook
12-21-2015, 08:47 PM
He signed a one year deal.

I expect him to do the same next year, unless he decides to retire.

He's on a year by year basis

Direckshun
12-21-2015, 08:47 PM
It would be outright dumb not to re-sign Allen.

He's their best LG and RT and his injuries mean he will come dirt cheap.

Stephenson can gorge himself on a Titanic sized bag of dicks.

$$$$$

DaneMcCloud
12-21-2015, 08:49 PM
$$$$$

What?

Besides the fact this was a stupid post, which team is going to offer this broke dick, who missed 15 games last year and numerous games this year, big money?

Are you new?

SAUTO
12-21-2015, 08:51 PM
No he signed a 4 year extension! Basically if he wants to play another year they will pay him but if wants to retire than there is no cap hit!

Wrong. He has no salary next year.

ThaVirus
12-21-2015, 08:51 PM
How is Wilkerson gonna get on the field?

Howard, Bailey and Poe all play a lot.

MW is gonna want a lot.

Sean Smith gives us more impact, IMO.

Uh, Wilkerson would start here from day 1.

DaneMcCloud
12-21-2015, 08:53 PM

Wilkinson won't be a Chief.

Direckshun
12-21-2015, 08:53 PM
What?

Besides the fact this was a stupid post, which team is going to offer this broke dick, who missed 15 games last year and numerous games this year, big money?

Are you new?

Offensive line play was probably at a 20 year low in quality this year in the NFL.

Any OL who isn't completely worthless is about to get overpaid or overdrafted. Dramatically.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-21-2015, 08:54 PM

But again, we won't have to worry about it cause we can't pay him and Houston 16+ mil a year like the Jets will have to.

ThaVirus
12-21-2015, 08:54 PM
Wilkinson won't be a Chief.

He won't and I'm totally fine with that.

I was just answering Boss's question. Wilkerson is probably the second best 3-4 DE in the league. He'd start for 32 of 32 teams.

ThaVirus
12-21-2015, 08:55 PM
But again, we won't have to worry about it cause we can't pay him and Houston 16+ mil a year like the Jets will have to.

That's fine. He'd be a luxury at this point.

DaneMcCloud
12-21-2015, 08:55 PM
Offensive line play was probably at a 20 year low in quality this year in the NFL.

Any OL who isn't completely worthless is about to get overpaid or overdrafted. Dramatically.

Stephenson failed at left tackle, right tackle and left guard.

He won't be back in KC and if he is, it won't be for anything more than veteran minimum, which means he costs nothing until the 2nd week of the season.

He gone.

Squalor2
12-21-2015, 08:57 PM
This is an idea that's really been going through my head, especially with the Jah Reid re-signing. I think Reid may be provided some camp competition, but I believe they plan to start him next year. Which brings me to this question...

What do you want the FO to do with the rest of our upcoming FAs?

Roughly 31 million in cap space right now and 6 of that goes to draft picks. 25 million left, with potential to go up a couple million via cuts.

Personally, as of this day, I consider Berry, DJ, and Howard must keeps. These guys are playing at their highest levels and they don't have any true potential replacements on the surface. It will be costly to do so as well.

Then, I think if Tamba wants to truly be a Chief for life, you try to bring him back at a discount and hopefully Ford is ready to take over at least half the downs.

I think Marcus Peters' emergence and potential makes Sean Smith the most expendable of the class. If he can grow into the top 10, top 5 corner he can truly be, they need to save the cash here. (Though they likely won't have enough anyway)

Would also like to keep either Abdullah or Branch with the $ left at that point.

Keep in mind-- Kelce, Poe and Fisher are all due the following year and while Fisher will likely receive a 1st round tender for 2017, the other two will command nice contracts as well.

The Chiefs deep talent pool has created a nice problem, and one that fortunately we can wait a little longer to delve into as the 2015 season rolls along. Nonetheless, tough decisions are ahead and I'd like to see what different individuals want to take place.

In the meantime, go Chieeeeeeeeeeefssssssss

puggsie. we won 8 in a row and...

jLoy88
12-21-2015, 08:57 PM
DJ is one contract I would not give two shits about being over market. Guy is a stud and leader and so noticable on every play

O.city
12-21-2015, 08:58 PM
Allen needs to be back, but damn he gets hurt alot

Direckshun
12-21-2015, 09:03 PM
Stephenson failed at left tackle, right tackle and left guard.

He won't be back in KC and if he is, it won't be for anything more than veteran minimum, which means he costs nothing until the 2nd week of the season.

He gone.

I was alluding to Allen.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-21-2015, 09:03 PM
puggsie. we won 8 in a row and...

Oh yeah I know. Just makes for good conversation on a Monday.

milkman
12-21-2015, 09:06 PM
Allen needs to be back, but damn he gets hurt alot

I just don't see how you can invest in a guy that can't stay on the field.

The 2016 draft should be targeting a tackle and a guard.

DaneMcCloud
12-21-2015, 09:07 PM
I just don't see how you can invest in a guy that can't stay on the field.

The 2015 draft should be targeting a tackle and a guard.

Eh, vet min with incentives.

Otherwise, no.

TLO
12-21-2015, 09:08 PM

Berry
Howard
Smith
DJ
Allen
Branch/Abdullah
Devito

I'd really like to see Branch back. Guy has a knack for the ball.

Direckshun
12-21-2015, 09:09 PM
Is Allen better or worse than Jon Asamoah?

Yeah. So why are we under the delusion that he's going to leave $20m on the table?

DaneMcCloud
12-21-2015, 09:11 PM

Yeah. So why are we under the delusion that he's going to leave $20m on the table?

Wut

Squalor2
12-21-2015, 09:13 PM
gawd. its not the offseason you santanals.

milkman
12-21-2015, 09:15 PM

So the fuck what.

O.city
12-21-2015, 09:17 PM

He's better, but he's also rarely on the field. Being dependable is substantial

Direckshun
12-21-2015, 09:17 PM
Wut

He's getting an Asamoah deal.

No lineman is available for a good deal this offseason. Let Jah Reid be your guide.

penbrook
12-21-2015, 09:19 PM
Jah Reid isn't great but he also isn't bad. Tell me where we are gonna find a better RT and who is it?

BlackOp
12-21-2015, 09:21 PM
Smith is the prototypical 3-4 press cover guy.....he's like 6-3. KC needs to keep their corners in place. You cant cheap out on that position...not in this scheme. They've got Peters on the cheap for a few years... KC took care of Berry..he better return the favor. I still say Safety is the most expendable position...if Berry wants the moon, he can get it from another team.

Charles is an interesting situation. The team is actually playing better without him...but you cant cut/trade him because of an injury. That's bad LR mojo...

ModSocks
12-21-2015, 09:28 PM
I'd really like to see Branch back. Guy has a knack for the ball.

Is that what they call it? "Knack for the ball?" When you get two hella lucky bounces your way? I like the guy too and wouldn't mind him back, but knack for the ball? Not yet.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-21-2015, 09:29 PM
Speaking of Jon Asomoah, he got released today by Atlanta via an injury settlement.... not that it really matters to us.

ModSocks
12-21-2015, 09:30 PM

Not with that injury history. Similar potential, sure, but much worse injury history and that'll cost him good $$$.

TEX
12-21-2015, 09:31 PM
Smith is the prototypical 3-4 press cover guy.....he's like 6-3. KC needs to keep their corners in place. You cant cheap out on that position...not in this scheme. They've got Peters on the cheap for a few years... KC took care of Berry..he better return the favor. I still say Safety is the most expendable position...if Berry wants the moon, he can get it from another team.

Charles is an interesting situation. The team is actually playing better without him...but you cant cut/trade him because of an injury. That's bad LR mojo...

This. Especially since we dont know how Gains will be when he returns. If its all good with him, we'll be that much better.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-21-2015, 09:31 PM

Who cares? It's the Monday after a game.

How long can we be expected to talk about how to beat the Cleveland Browns? Really? Cause I don't have much interest in anything else this season right now than winning that game. Do that, then we move on to Oakland.

Direckshun
12-21-2015, 09:42 PM
Not with that injury history. Similar potential, sure, but much worse injury history and that'll cost him good $$$.

You're wrong.

If I started a poll asking Planeteers which one they'd rather sign for $20m, we both know who they'd pick.

BlackOp
12-21-2015, 09:43 PM
This. Especially since we dont know how Gains will be when he returns. If its all good with him, we'll be that much better.

I know this wont be a popular opinion...but I'm not sure this defense would miss Berry too much overall... at least not impact it like losing DJ or S. Smith. A 9 million dollar safety is a poor allocation of funds.

ModSocks
12-21-2015, 09:44 PM
I know this wont be a popular opinion...but I'm not sure this defense would miss Berry too much overall... at least not impact it like losing DJ or S.Smith.

Currently being heralded as one of the best safeties in the league this season, it's quite possible that what you DON'T see on t.v is what matters so much.

ModSocks
12-21-2015, 09:46 PM
You're wrong.

If I started a poll asking Planeteers which one they'd rather sign for $20m, we both know who they'd pick.

They'd pick the 3rd option, neither. 20m for how many years?

Direckshun
12-21-2015, 09:47 PM
They'd pick the 3rd option, neither. 20m for how many years?

Well that's the deal Asamoah got, and it's the deal Allen is going to get.

milkman
12-21-2015, 09:48 PM
You're wrong.

You are the most likable fucking moron ever.

Direckshun
12-21-2015, 09:51 PM
You are the most likable ****ing moron ever.

You think this forum would pick Asamoah over Allen?

You would? Didn't think so.

If you're chafing at the $20m deal, I don't blame you. It's the deal Asamoah got, and if you think Allen is better than Asamoah, guess what.

BlackOp
12-21-2015, 09:51 PM
Currently being heralded as one of the best safeties in the league this season, it's quite possible that what you DON'T see on t.v is what matters so much.

Just being pragmatic...having a talented cover corner is more important to the over-all scheme. KC is stocked at safety...Sure, I would like KC to keep everyone but paying Berry CB money is stupid.

milkman
12-21-2015, 09:54 PM
You think this forum would pick Asamoah over Allen?

You would? Didn't think so.

If you're chafing at the $20m deal, I don't blame you. It's the deal Asamoah got, and if you think Allen is better than Asamoah, guess what.

No, you ****ing moron.

I am not giving either of them that kind of money.

And Asamoah can thank a moron of your same magnitude for that money.

You and Scott Pioli should exchange notes.

Direckshun
12-21-2015, 09:57 PM
No, you ****ing moron.

I am not giving either of them that kind of money.

And Asamoah can thank a moron of your same magnitude for that money.

You and Scott Pioli should exchange notes.

I'm not saying they're WORTH that cash. I'm saying that's the going rate.

If you don't think there's another moron out there willing to sign Allen to the same overpriced deal, well, you've already been wrong once about Asamoah.

DaneMcCloud
12-21-2015, 09:59 PM
You're wrong.

The more you post, the more obvious it is that your football knowledge is zero

O.city
12-21-2015, 10:00 PM
Allen is alot like Schwartz before he came here with injury issues.

I don't see him getting 20 mil

Direckshun
12-21-2015, 10:01 PM
The more you post, the more obvious it is that your football knowledge is zero

I'm almost certain you've misunderstood my point, like milk did.

I'm willing to bet gigantic piles of cash on it.

BossChief
12-21-2015, 10:07 PM
You're wrong.

He's gonna have to get paid on a deal that's voidable after 1 year if we give Allen anywhere near 20m and that better be for like 5 years.

milkman
12-21-2015, 10:12 PM
I'm almost certain you've misunderstood my point, like milk did.

I'm willing to bet gigantic piles of cash on it.

No, I didn't misunderstand.

You asked in your hypothetical poll which one we as planeteers would sign for 20 mil.

Any planeteer that respoinded with anything other than "Go fuck yourself, I ain't signing either" is a moron in your neighborhood.

MotherfuckerJones
12-21-2015, 10:13 PM

Does this include bonuses and increases?

pugsnotdrugs19
12-21-2015, 10:15 PM
Berry is a top 3 safety in the game this season. Not just free safety, but every damn safety in the league, he's one of the best. You don't let that go. Like most cases, his work may not be seen on the camera, but he's almost always doing something to help the defense overall.

MotherfuckerJones
12-21-2015, 10:23 PM
Berry is the leader on this team now along with Houston. They're best friends. Berry is going nowhere. Keep Berry for sure. I've wanted to have this discussion for awhile now. I really want to keep Sean Smith, but he's going to get paid and a lot. Getting Gaines back next year will be huge. Tough decisions for who gets paid and who has to go. I expect DJ and Tamba back on hometown discounts. I'm hoping to see Jaye Howard locked up soon. I want to keep this defense together for as long as we can.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-21-2015, 10:25 PM
Berry is the leader on this team now along with Houston. They're best friends. Berry is going nowhere. Keep Berry for sure. I've wanted to have this discussion for awhile now. I really want to keep Sean Smith, but he's going to get paid and a lot. Getting Gaines back next year will be huge. Tough decisions for who gets paid and who has to go. I expect DJ and Tamba back on hometown discounts. I'm hoping to see Jaye Howard locked up soon. I want to keep this defense together for as long as we can.

Pretty much my feelings exactly.

I don't think we can afford to tie a bunch of money up to Smith when Kelce, Poe, and Fisher are all due the following year. Smith isn't going to get better. Those guys should.

MotherfuckerJones
12-21-2015, 10:27 PM
Pretty much my feelings exactly.

I don't think we can afford to tie a bunch of money up to Smith when Kelce, Poe, and Fisher are all due the following year. Smith isn't going to get better. Those guys should.

If we can't keep smith I hope we tag and trade him if possible. I don't know what the franchise tag would cost though.

Squalor2
12-21-2015, 10:30 PM
you sad and lonely farty tongue humpers.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-21-2015, 10:30 PM
If we can't keep smith I hope we tag and trade him if possible. I don't know what the franchise tag would cost though.

It would cost more than his average salary, almost for sure.

Direckshun
12-21-2015, 10:32 PM
No, I didn't misunderstand.

You asked in your hypothetical poll which one we as planeteers would sign for 20 mil.

Any planeteer that respoinded with anything other than "Go **** yourself, I ain't signing either" is a moron in your neighborhood.

Well milk, I've got bad news for you: you owe me a pile of cash.

Because in my initial post ***in this thread***, I openly endorsed letting Allen walk. I then later explained it's because he is NOT worth what I think he'll fetch, which is approximately Asamoah's deal, which is (a.) too rich for our blood and (b.) too much for Allen anyway.

I know this conversation has had some interesting contours, but the idea that I'm endorsing that kind of deal for Allen in this thread is patently false.

DaneMcCloud
12-21-2015, 10:37 PM
Well milk, I've got bad news for you: you owe me a pile of cash.

Because in my initial post ***in this thread***, I openly endorsed letting Allen walk. I then later explained it's because he is NOT worth what I think he'll fetch, which is approximately Asamoah's deal, which is (a.) too rich for our blood and (b.) too much for Allen anyway.

I know this conversation has had some interesting contours, but the idea that I'm endorsing that kind of deal for Allen in this thread is patently false.

A guy that was at best mediocre, before missing 15 games, only to follow that up by missing at least 8 games, isn't getting $5 million a year.

What NFL are you following?

RealSNR
12-21-2015, 10:37 PM
Berry and Howard are the only must-keeps.

RealSNR
12-21-2015, 10:39 PM
A guy that was, at best mediocre, before missing 15 games, only to follow that up by missing at least 8 games, isn't getting $5 million a year.

Asamoah got his money by sucking on Pioli's big ol' chili dog.

That being said, it's still alarming that a team gave that much to a guy who had done nothing but suck dick his entire career, especially during his contract year.

Geoff Schwartz, also known as the JAG of the century, got $4 million from the Giants. And right now that's not looking like such a bad deal considering our hole at the guard spots last year.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-21-2015, 10:43 PM
Berry and Howard are the only must-keeps.

DJ is also until proven otherwise by his play + and his potential successors.

BlackOp
12-21-2015, 10:44 PM
Berry is a top 3 safety in the game this season. Not just free safety, but every damn safety in the league, he's one of the best. You don't let that go. Like most cases, his work may not be seen on the camera, but he's almost always doing something to help the defense overall.

DJ is the #2 rated 3-4 LB this season...you dont let that go. He's more important than the #1 rated safety on the planet.

Paying $9 million for a safety is something a desperate team does....that has a lot of cap. If you build a team based on the fans emotional attachment...you will be in the cellar. Ask Belichick if he would pay a safety $9 million..let alone use a top 5 pick on one...especially when he could sign two good ones already on the roster. I think you know the answer to that rhetorical question.

Ragged Robin
imo Tamba still has a couple years in him if he wants (obviously at a discounted contract), even if it's just a reduced role like a situational pass rusher he can still make an impact

speed and endurance go with age, he'll still have strength and technique

Direckshun
A guy that was at best mediocre, before missing 15 games, only to follow that up by missing at least 8 games, isn't getting $5 million a year.

About 25 GMs are feeling heat this offseason about their shitty OL play. OL play has been atrocious across the league.

For every decent lineman who hits the market, he's going to have a LOT of potential suitors, and every one of them will be overpaid in free agency or over drafted in April.

DaneMcCloud
12-21-2015, 10:46 PM
About 25 GMs are feeling heat this offseason about their shitty OL play. OL play has been atrocious across the league.

For every decent lineman who hits the market, he's going to have a LOT of potential suitors, and every one of them will be overpaid in free agency or over drafted in April.

No GM is forking over $5 million per for a guy that can play every third game

pugsnotdrugs19
12-21-2015, 10:47 PM
DJ is the #2 rated 3-4 LB this season...you dont let that go. He's more important than the #1 rated safety on the planet.

Paying $9 million for a safety is something a desperate team does....that has a lot of cap. If you build a team based on the fans emotional attachment...you will be in the cellar. Ask Belichick if he would pay a safety $9 million..let alone use a top 5 pick on one...especially when he could sign two good ones already on the roster. I think you know the answer to that rhetorical question.

1. I said DJ is a must keep.

2. Berry is also the #1 overall safety if you're going by PFF, so you've failed again there too.

Keep them both.

Oh and FYI, Belichick gave Devin McCourty, an elite free safety just like Berry, over 9 million per year just this summer. So many f**king flaws in that last post.

Direckshun
12-21-2015, 10:48 PM

You have more confidence in leaguewide GM decision making in the face of desperation than I do.

penbrook

2. Berry is also the #1 overall safety if you're going by PFF, so you've failed again there too.

Keep them both.

But they said Charles wasn't a Top 100 player!

O.city
Keep the middle of your defense solid, always.

O.city
12-21-2015, 10:51 PM
I'm also guessing you didn't realize Belicheck just gave a safety a 5 year 47.5 million dollar deal

O.city
12-21-2015, 10:51 PM
So, yeah, looks like old bill knows how important safeties are

pugsnotdrugs19
12-21-2015, 10:53 PM
So, yeah, looks like old bill knows how important safeties are

Yeah.... he got a little lost on that post, even questioning my position on DJ... Sigh.

BlackOp
12-21-2015, 10:57 PM

Keep them both.

Oh and FYI, Belichick gave Devin McCourty, an elite free safety just like Berry, over 9 million per year just this summer. So many f**king flaws in that last post.

KC has two good safeties...whom I think are not under contract in 2016 and know the system. I'd take them over one player. I would take S. Smith over Berry if it came to that...Corners are just more valuable. I haven't forgotten watching Manning exploit Flemming.

-King-
12-21-2015, 10:58 PM
But they said Charles wasn't a Top 100 player!

You! Have to stop using exclamation points in all your posts! Who exactly are you telling at!!?
Posted via Mobile Device

Jiu Jitsu Jon
12-21-2015, 11:03 PM
https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.Md9160dc1b3b4d0ac4e1043fad1464323o0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=271&h=153

pugsnotdrugs19
12-21-2015, 11:04 PM
KC has two good safeties...whom I think are not under contract in 2016 and know the system. I'd take them over one player. I would take S. Smith over Berry if it came to that...Corners are just more valuable. I haven't forgotten watching Manning exploit Flemming.

He's going on 29 bro. Like if it's a 2-3 year deal, maybe. But bottom line is he isn't going to get better than he is now. They've drafted plenty of corners over the last couple of years... The only safety on our 2016 roster right now is Parker. That ain't enough.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-21-2015, 11:05 PM
https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.Md9160dc1b3b4d0ac4e1043fad1464323o0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=271&h=153

Was that your reaction after yet another non-winning season?

Squalor2
12-21-2015, 11:09 PM
welp. pretty much you posters are bitter cunts, bitches and losers. none of you 3 make chiefsplanet better. you know this and if you live to 100. you are usless

MotherfuckerJones
12-21-2015, 11:09 PM

<marquee> SCOREBOARD<marquee>

pugsnotdrugs19
12-21-2015, 11:11 PM
welp. pretty much you posters are bitter ****s, bitches and losers. none of you 3 make chiefsplanet better. you know this and if you live to 100. you are usless

Yeah, I'm gonna need you to clean up the grammatical errors and elaborate things a tad bit better before you're taken half way seriously.

BlackOp
12-21-2015, 11:13 PM
He's going on 29 bro. Like if it's a 2-3 year deal, maybe. But bottom line is he isn't going to get better than he is now. They've drafted plenty of corners over the last couple of years... The only safety on our 2016 roster right now is Parker. That ain't enough.

You keep Berry and let Smith roll..it will cost you a draft pick...KC will be using one on his replacement early. A position of strength becomes a liability...in a defense predicated on the corners holding court while the pressure gets there. Chiefs already have capable replacements for Berry in house that will come a LOT cheaper. Berry is a great player..dont get me wrong but not nearly as important in this scheme.

Smith is 29 but Berry just had cancer...that's a lot of guaranteed money if they go that route. What if he has a relapse?

Hoover
12-21-2015, 11:17 PM
I'll add my thoughts.

1. KC isn't going to sign any meaningful free agents this year. Maybe a bargin saftey like in years past if we have to replace someone.

2. Sean Smith is the top priority, followed by Berry, DJ, and Howard.

3. If guys like DeVito and Hali want to play on bargain deals because they love it here I'm all for it. If they are looking to cash in it's just not going to work.

4. I love and admire Jamall Charles. But if I'm the GM of this team I have the balls to cut him. It has absolutley nothing about him as a player, it has everything to do with the depth of this team. The story I'd spin is yeah, we are fu@king good enough to cut Jamaal Charles, who will sign with the Packers and lead them to a Super Bowl and I will buy his GB Jersey too. When you boil it all down, you can cut Charles and keep Sean Smith and that defense intact. That's the move you make to make a prolonged run a multiple championships.

5.If we loose players like Branch, Abdullah, or Howard we will get third round compensatory picks. A nice consolation prize.

6. If all goes as planned, we are not drafting one single defensive player in the upcoming draft. Maybe a stud MLB if there is one for us sitting there in round one, but that it. You all better get ready for some big fatty RTs, TE, RB, and WRs. bucause that's all we will be shopping for.

BlackOp
12-21-2015, 11:19 PM
welp. pretty much you posters are bitter ****s, bitches and losers. none of you 3 make chiefsplanet better. you know this and if you live to 100. you are usless

And...you make it better how? If you call someone "useless"..you are implying you have something insightful to offer. Random insults on the internet are something any neglected 14 year old can do...

ChiefAshhole1056
12-21-2015, 11:24 PM
The Chiefs continued to pay Berry his full salary as planned when he was undergoing chemo, they aren't going to back away from the guy now because he's too pricey.

He is clearly the heart and soul of this team right now, something that you pay premier dollar for. And that's what we're going to give this man, I hope y'all know that right? Like market-setting contract numbers for a safety because not one other safety in the league offfers what Berry does. An iconic, soon to be Walter Payton Man of the Year award winning, dominating team leader that also does his job better than any other safety in the league currently.

This team will always follow him and fight for this man because of what he went through, and how hard he fought to get back to this point. You don't let that go, and you pay him the worth he brings to your team. Which like it or not will most likely shatter the current highest contract (Byrd, 54 mil/6 yr) and be closer to the $60 mil range.

RunKC
12-21-2015, 11:25 PM
First thing Dorsey needs to do before signing anyone is go to Dustin Colquitt and tell him to restructure his astronomical salary heading into next season or he'll be cut. $4m+ for a punter is insane.
Jamaal Charles is also going to be a hot topic to restructure.

RFA's to keep:
West, Zombo, D. Harris, N. Williams and Sorenson for 600k/piece.

Top priority:

Howard
Berry
DJ

Those are the key players. This team runs on defense, and each of the 3 is an elite player at every level.

Next you look to keep one of Branch or Abdullah. We should be able to keep one for a decent low price. I prefer Branch. That puts us 4 deep at Safety, which is great depth.

Allen will likely leave IMO and get overpaid ala Geoff Schwartz. Offer him a smaller contract heavy in incentives. Nbd if he leaves.
This OL has grown substantially this season and having 4/5 starters returning playing their experienced position will make the OL start well next year instead of rebooting and waiting to gel.

Sean Smith is basically gone. Looking at the crazy contract Flowers got, Smith will get more, especially in a league that wants to have tall, long CB's like the Seattle model. Oh well.

Tamba is probably done, but if he comes back, it will be like this year.

I'd prefer to sign at least one veteran CB that is reliable with Peters being the only known going into next season.

After that you can find your starting LG, future #2 CB and depth at RT/WR/DL/TE, etc in the draft.

Squalor2
12-21-2015, 11:26 PM
Was that your reaction after yet another non-winning season?

you suck cock,

you are the assdhad that asked chiefsplanet about winning?

ChiefAshhole1056
12-21-2015, 11:28 PM
Why are people insistent on signing Sean Smith instead of franchising him? Get one more year out of the guy on a salary you'd probably have to pay him in a long term contract anyway, and also still allows you to address the CB position like you would if he left.

I dont want to commit to a soon-to-be 30 CB who's only going to get slower and I also dont want to rely on Phillip Gaines as my CB2 coming off an ACL injury. Franchise him for a year, draft another CB in the early rounds, and be in even better shape in 2017.

Hoover
12-21-2015, 11:33 PM
I'd prefer to sign at least one veteran CB that is reliable

The price tag for that is like 6mil a year, so just bite the bullet and keep the STUD you have. There is no incentive for this team to shop for player on the open market. None! The only position you do that for is saftey if we lose both Abdulah and Branch,

BlackOp
I'll add my thoughts.

1. KC isn't going to sign any meaningful free agents this year. Maybe a bargin saftey like in years past if we have to replace someone.

2. Sean Smith is the top priority, followed by Berry, DJ, and Howard.

I would say Smith, DJ, Howard then Berry. Dorsey rolled the dice on DJ coming back healthy...and won. They need to start grooming his replacement this draft. I'm down with a 1st round LB if one is available.

Direckshun
I look really hard at drafting a CB in the 1st.

BigChiefFan
First thing Dorsey needs to do before signing anyone is go to Dustin Colquitt and tell him to restructure his astronomical salary heading into next season or he'll be cut. $4m+ for a punter is insane.
Jamaal Charles is also going to be a hot topic to restructure.

RFA's to keep:
West, Zombo, D. Harris, N. Williams and Sorenson for 600k/piece.

Top priority:

Howard
Berry
DJ

Those are the key players. This team runs on defense, and each of the 3 is an elite player at every level.

Next you look to keep one of Branch or Abdullah. We should be able to keep one for a decent low price. I prefer Branch. That puts us 4 deep at Safety, which is great depth.

Allen will likely leave IMO and get overpaid ala Geoff Schwartz. Offer him a smaller contract heavy in incentives. Nbd if he leaves.
This OL has grown substantially this season and having 4/5 starters returning playing their experienced position will make the OL start well next year instead of rebooting and waiting to gel.

Sean Smith is basically gone. Looking at the crazy contract Flowers got, Smith will get more, especially in a league that wants to have tall, long CB's like the Seattle model. Oh well.

Tamba is probably done, but if he comes back, it will be like this year.

I'd prefer to sign at least one veteran CB that is reliable with Peters being the only known going into next season.

After that you can find your starting LG, future #2 CB and depth at RT/WR/DL/TE, etc in the draft.
I say we retain Berry, DJ, and Hali on a fairly team friendly deals. Keep Howard and franchise Smith. It's a given most RFAs are retained. I predict we use the franchise tag on Smith.

Hoover
Why are people insistent on signing Sean Smith instead of franchising him? Get one more year out of the guy on a salary you'd probably have to pay him in a long term contract anyway, and also still allows you to address the CB position like you would if he left.

I dont want to commit to a soon-to-be 30 CB who's only going to get slower and I also dont want to rely on Phillip Gaines as my CB2 coming off an ACL injury. Franchise him for a year, draft another CB in the early rounds, and be in even better shape in 2017.

Shit yeah. I'm all for tagging him. No problem what so ever.

Hoover
12-21-2015, 11:35 PM
I look really hard at drafting a CB in the 1st.

Get over it. Never going to happen.

Fat Andy will demand toys and fatties for the offense.

Squalor2
12-21-2015, 11:36 PM
And...you make it better how? If you call someone "useless"..you are implying you have something insightful to offer. Random insults on the internet are something any neglected 14 year old can do...

you are correct. pugsnotdrugs19, random 14 year olds. insightful,

BlackOp
12-21-2015, 11:39 PM
He is clearly the heart and soul of this team right now, something that you pay premier dollar for. And that's what we're going to give this man, I hope y'all know that right? Like market-setting contract numbers for a safety because not one other safety in the league offfers what Berry does. An iconic, soon to be Walter Payton Man of the Year award winning, dominating team leader that also does his job better than any other safety in the league currently.

This team will always follow him and fight for this man because of what he went through, and how hard he fought to get back to this point. You don't let that go, and you pay him the worth he brings to your team. Which like it or not will most likely shatter the current highest contract (Byrd, 54 mil/6 yr) and be closer to the $60 mil range.

That is more emotional than fact. KC played better with him out last season...if you lose an "impact" player your team should see a tangible decline in production. Like losing Maclin, DJ or Houston.

ChiefAshhole1056
12-21-2015, 11:40 PM
If Maxwell just got paid 10.5 mil a year, better believe that Sean is going to easily get at least 12. Franchise tag for CBs last year was $13 mil, I suspect that's probably going to be at least $14.5 mil or so next season.

Chiefshrink
12-21-2015, 11:40 PM
Just being pragmatic...having a talented cover corner is more important to the over-all scheme. KC is stocked at safety...Sure, I would like KC to keep everyone but paying Berry CB money is stupid.

I don't know BO, I get your point but because of the emergence of the " athletic TE who plays like a WR type player in the last 10-15yrs because more teams are drafting these type of TEs, the safety position is just about as important as a shut down corner in covering these type of TEs. And when you look at the Chiefs especially this year our defensive play against TEs is very very good because we have talented depth at that position as some of you have stated.

ChiefAshhole1056
12-21-2015, 11:41 PM

His last two first round picks were pass defense-oriented.

RunKC
12-21-2015, 11:42 PM
The price tag for that is like 6mil a year, so just bite the bullet and keep the STUD you have. There is no incentive for this team to shop for player on the open market. None! The only position you do that for is saftey if we lose both Abdulah and Branch,

I would love to keep Sean Smith, but his price tag will skyrocket. Flowers got a $9.1m avg/yr offer from SD and he's a midget. Byron Maxwell just got a $10.5 avg/yr deal from Philly.

It's almost guaranteed that Sean Smith will get $10m avg/year or higher with his value to this league.

I'm of the opinion that no matter what you do with Smith, you draft a CB high in this draft.
Mr. Direkshun will be illustrating this as well as I will: the CB class for the 2016 draft looks as good as any we've seen in several years.

ChiefAshhole1056
I don't know BO, I get your point but because of the emergence of the " athletic TE who plays like a WR type player in the last 10-15yrs because more teams are drafting these type of TEs, the safety position is just about as important as a shut down corner in covering these type of TEs. And when you look at the Chiefs especially this year our defensive play against TEs is very very good because we have talented depth at that position as some of you have stated.

Dorsey has definitely shown a desire to solidify that position.

BryanBusby
There are teams out there that have to give stupid deals to reach the salary floor (see: Oakland and Hudson). I could see the Browns giving him that much if Schwartz bails out (hint: he will).

Here's who I see sticking around:
Berry (No way he's leaving. A fan and franchise favorite.)

DJ
Hali
DeVito

I see them taking team friendly deals to stay at home, and with a contender.

Zombo
West
Sorensen
Williams
King

Cheap.

Abdullah

A good player in the secondary.

Maybe they keep Howard. Will depend on what he wants.

I think they want to keep Sean Smith, but he's hitting hitting that point where he's going to get his only shot to cash in on a big money, several year deal. The Oakland Raiders will have something like 75 million dollars in cap space, and will suck a cock for any good CB. I wouldn't be shocked if they offered him a deal near Revis territory. Will Dorsey match Revis figures? No, probably not.

Branch might stay if they can't keep Abdullah for some reason. Otherwise, I see him trying to latch on with a good team for better dollars.

I believe the Chiefs will have the room to go after a FA or two. Mohamed Sanu, Travis Benjamin or Marvin Jones would make a lot of sense. The lack of anything worth a shit at WR beyond Maclin is very noticeable.

Squalor2
12-21-2015, 11:50 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna need you to clean up the grammatical errors and elaborate things a tad bit better before you're taken half way seriously.

i think you like children.

TLO
12-21-2015, 11:54 PM

Yeah, because the Chiefs have never taken a CB in the first round!

DaneMcCloud
12-22-2015, 12:02 AM
There are teams out there that have to give stupid deals to reach the salary floor (see: Oakland and Hudson).

It's one thing to shell out more money for dependable, reliable players.

Allen doesn't fall into that category.

penbrook
12-22-2015, 12:03 AM
Holy shit for the last fucking time we are not cutting the best player on our team and a future HOF in Charles. I will bet both my balls he will be a Chief for life

RunKC
12-22-2015, 12:06 AM

Yes, but I can see a team doing that. I wouldn't give him a big deal by any means, and it would have to be heavy in incentives.

The problem we've had every single year with this regime is rebooting and starting new players at new positions across the OL.
We finally have our starters locked up at every position next season, depending on how they feel about Grubbs.

Losing Jeff Allen won't hurt. Losing Grubbs and Allen shouldn't hurt. 2nd round G should be able to do a solid job and see no loss in production.
Andy might even get that guy in the first knowing his love of fatties.

Direckshun
12-22-2015, 12:06 AM
Holy shit for the last ****ing time we are not cutting the best player on our team and a future HOF in Charles. I will bet both my balls he will be a Chief for life

Well I guess we win either way on that bet.

BlackOp
12-22-2015, 12:08 AM

It's really about attrition...Chiefs dont have a Branch or Abdullah waiting to take Smith's CB spot. ..Gaines is an undersized slot corner...just like they dont really have someone to cover DJ's position. IMO that makes Berry expendable...if it comes down where the money needs to go. Serviceable safeties are..obviously... much easier to find than 6-3 press corners.

Hoover
12-22-2015, 12:15 AM
Yeah, because the Chiefs have never taken a CB in the first round!
That's not my point at all. It's not going to happen because we are spending HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS on this defense. You can't just keep patching the offense with some duct tape, thus unless there is some crazy talent sitting there at CB or MLB, we going to invest in the offense with this next draft. There has to be some balance, and Andy Reid is our coach.

ChiefAshhole1056
12-22-2015, 12:18 AM
Why are people ok with letting Berry leave because of money, but refuse to let go of JC? Which one has been more instrumental to the teams success this year? If anything, JC has proven to be the easiest to replace out of all of the high-paid starters.

ChiefAshhole1056
12-22-2015, 12:19 AM
That's not my point at all. It's not going to happen because we are spending HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS on this defense. You can't just keep patching the offense with some duct tape, thus unless there is some crazy talent sitting there at CB or MLB, we going to invest in the offense with this next draft. There has to be some balance, and Andy Reid is our coach.

This team is skating by because the vast amount of talent on defense, why not keep adding to a strength?

Hoover
12-22-2015, 12:20 AM
Why are people ok with letting Berry leave because of money, but refuse to let go of JC? Which one has been more instrumental to the teams success this year? If anything, JC has proven to be the easiest to replace out of all of the high-paid starters.

He's also the easiest peice to replace through the draft.

BlackOp
12-22-2015, 12:23 AM

KC needs to invest heavily in O-line...which is stating the obvious. MLB is the only other position I see the team needing...and that is a "grooming" move. I'm not sure KC needs much on the skill positions...it will take a #2 WR at least a year to grasp the playbook.

ChiefAshhole1056
12-22-2015, 12:23 AM

Dorsey doesn't even need a draft pick nowadays. Just pick one off waivers or a UDFA like Ware or West.

Hoover
12-22-2015, 12:26 AM
KC needs to invest heavily in O-line...which is stating the obvious. MLB is the only other position I see the team needing...and that is a "grooming" move. I'm not sure KC needs much on the skill positions...it will take a #2 WR at least a year to grasp the playbook.

Agree. Where we are going to be drafting we will be in prime position to take a RT.

Hoover
12-22-2015, 12:27 AM
Dorsey doesn't even need a draft pick nowadays. Just pick one off waivers or a UDFA like Ware or West.

The best thing anyone can say about a teams GM

BlackOp
12-22-2015, 12:29 AM

Because Berry isn't as good as Charles....I dont think that's even up for debate. I DO however think losing him helped this team reevaluate how to use him...way too much of a crutch and stunted the passing game.

Think of it like this...if Denver had either Berry or Charles..who would you rather not see twice a year?

BryanBusby
12-22-2015, 12:31 AM

No he doesn't, so KC should really just pass. He's going to get at least 4 mil a year over 3+ years. There are desperate enough teams dumb enough to think he just needs to be in their conditioning program.

As for the O-Line, I think they seem set at letting Jah Reid be the Right Tackle. I'm wondering if they seem content with Frenchman and Fulton as the Guards and just anticipate both dudes just need more playing time.

ChiefAshhole1056
12-22-2015, 12:31 AM
Because Berry isn't as good as Charles....I dont think that's even up for debate. I DO however think losing him helped this team reevaluate how to use him...way too much of a crutch and stunted the passing game.

Think of it like this...if Denver had either Berry or Charles..who would you rather not see twice a year?

Thats not the issue at hand though, this is about the better player for KC. You got a full dose of JC last year, and one of Berry this year, which one mad a bigger impact to the Chiefs and their success?

ChiefAshhole1056
12-22-2015, 12:35 AM
No he doesn't, so KC should really just pass. He's going to get at least 4 mil a year over 3+ years. There are desperate enough teams dumb enough to think he just needs to be in their conditioning program.

Jah Reid just got a 3 year, $10.2 mil contract to solidify tackle depth and can be a spot starter. Do you feel Jeff Allen isn't worth just as much if not more to this team than Jah Reid to supply essentially the same role?

pugsnotdrugs19
12-22-2015, 12:37 AM
you are correct. pugsnotdrugs19, random 14 year olds. insightful,

Do you even know what the f**k you're saying right now?

It's pugsnotdrugs, not drugsnotpugs you moron. Literally do not understand what you are bitching about, and I'm not sure you do either.

DaneMcCloud
12-22-2015, 12:38 AM
Jah Reid just got a 3 year, $10.2 mil contract to solidify tackle depth and can be a spot starter. Do you feel Jeff Allen isn't worth just as much if not more to this team than Jah Reid to supply essentially the same role?

Allen would easily get $4 million per as a full time starter at right tackle or left guard, if he had played at least 30 of the last 32 games.

The problem is that he's played in 11 of the last 30 games, many of which he couldn't finish.

BryanBusby
12-22-2015, 12:39 AM
Jeff Allen isn't worth anything on the bench.

I'd keep him if the terms are good, but are you willing to give the guy possibly 5 mil a year when he's good for missing a lot of games?

BlackOp
12-22-2015, 12:39 AM
Thats not the issue at hand though, this is about the better player for KC. You got a full dose of JC last year, and one of Berry this year, which one mad a bigger impact to the Chiefs and their success?

You keep JC....he's one of the best RBs I've ever seen. Now if Berry was the second coming of Ronnie Lott...or Ed Reed...he was billed as such but he's not at that level..getting paid like it though.

If KC decides to move Charles..there will be 31 teams inquiring.

DaneMcCloud
12-22-2015, 12:40 AM
As for the O-Line, I think they seem set at letting Jah Reid be the Right Tackle. I'm wondering if they seem content with Frenchman and Fulton as the Guards and just anticipate both dudes just need more playing time.
The best thing about Dorsey is that he's always looking to upgrade the roster, regardless of the position.

Outside of Fisher and Morse, I don't think anyone's job is safe.

RunKC
12-22-2015, 12:43 AM
If Jeff Allen is broken, why would we try to bring him back cheap? Why even at all if that's the case?

Geoff Schwartz and Branden Albert are both broke dicks who we let other teams overpay in free agency and replaced with draft picks. I can easily see that happening with Jeff Allen this spring.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-22-2015, 12:44 AM
Andy told Gannon and Kevin Harlan in their production meetings Saturday that he feels LDT is playing the best of any offensive lineman right now for him.

Alas, your future RG

BryanBusby
12-22-2015, 12:47 AM
The best thing about Dorsey is that he's always looking to upgrade the roster, regardless of the position.

Outside of Fisher and Morse, I don't think anyone's job is safe.
I'd suppose it comes down to how they stack needs and what they can get value wise.

I could see them making upgrades on the line, but also feeling okay if it doesn't happen.

Maybe I am being a little too generous, but Fulton hasn't looked terrible at LG to me.

BryanBusby
12-22-2015, 12:49 AM
If Jeff Allen is broken, why would we try to bring him back cheap? Why even at all if that's the case?

Geoff Schwartz and Branden Albert are both broke dicks who we let other teams overpay in free agency and replaced with draft picks. I can easily see that happening with Jeff Allen this spring.
At a good rate, Allen is a very nice rotation guy and the durability isn't as concerning if he isn't starting.

Schwartz and Albert wanted starting pay, and I am sure Allen will also be looking for the same.

ChiefAshhole1056
12-22-2015, 01:02 AM
You keep JC....he's one of the best RBs I've ever seen. Now if Berry was the second coming of Ronnie Lott...or Ed Reed...he was billed as such but he's not at that level..getting paid like it though.

He's my personal favorite Chief of all-time, I also think he's top 10 ever talent-wise. But right now, his presence aren't as beneficial to the team as Berry is. Berry is the heart and soul of the team right now, and Charles' production is being replicated with two non-draft picks.

I personally want him to go somewhere else to a more reputable team like the Pats or Panthers so the national media will give him some love and more people can see the greatness we have been blessed to witness the past 8 years. Just have to be ok with accepting less in a trade for him than what he's really worth.

DaneMcCloud
12-22-2015, 01:03 AM
I'd suppose it comes down to how they stack needs and what they can get value wise.

I could see them making upgrades on the line, but also feeling okay if it doesn't happen.

Maybe I am being a little too generous, but Fulton hasn't looked terrible at LG to me.

I kind of feel like a broken record but i can't understand why the line isn't Fisher/Morse/Fulton/LDT/ then a free agent or draft choice.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-22-2015, 01:04 AM
I kind of feel like a broken record but i can't understand why the line isn't Fisher/Morse/Fulton/LDT/ then a free agent or draft choice.

It's kinda odd but Fulton is miles better as a center than as a guard.

BryanBusby
12-22-2015, 01:13 AM
That would be the best choice, really.

I think that line up with Mitchell Schwartz at RT would be a good ass line.

BlackOp
12-22-2015, 01:18 AM
He's my personal favorite Chief of all-time, I also think he's top 10 ever talent-wise. But right now, his presence aren't as beneficial to the team as Berry is. Berry is the heart and soul of the team right now, and Charles' production is being replicated with two non-draft picks.

You could say the same about Berry..his production can be met by his back-ups. This is about next season..not 2015. His story is a great one but it's pinned to this season.

I think "Berry is the heart and soul" of this team a bit idealistic. They arent winning because of his pep speeches..they are winning because Dorsey is a rockstar at building depth. Berry hasn't made very many game changing plays... I would say DJ and Tamba are equally a steadying presence in the locker room...along with Reid.

DaneMcCloud
12-22-2015, 01:23 AM

A vet minimum contract with incentives for each game played would be ideal for Allen.

If he can't play another game this season, it's unlikely he could find a better deal elsewhere.

-King-
12-22-2015, 01:47 AM
You could say the same about Berry..his production can be met by his back-ups. This is about next season..not 2015. His story is a great one but it's pinned to this season.

I think "Berry is the heart and soul" of this team a bit idealistic. They arent winning because of his pep speeches..they are winning because Dorsey is a rockstar at building depth. Berry hasn't made very many game changing plays... I would say DJ and Tamba are equally a steadying presence in the locker room...along with Reid.
Berry is one of the 3 best safeties in the league this season. We wouldn't be as good without his run defense and pass coverage.
Posted via Mobile Device

Direckshun
12-22-2015, 06:18 AM
You guys trying to move Morse from a position he's good at to accommodate an iffy player are no different than Reid for moving Fisher to RT for Stephenson.

J Diddy
12-22-2015, 06:43 AM

Of course they would, for next to nothing. You don't get much for a 30 year old running back with an acl in both knees. It doesn't matter what he had prior to.

MotherfuckerJones
12-22-2015, 07:12 AM
Andy told Gannon and Kevin Harlan in their production meetings Saturday that he feels LDT is playing the best of any offensive lineman right now for him.

Alas, your future RG

That means nothing really to be honest. He's just talking up his player IMO. LDT is not playing better than Morse, Allen or Fisher.

RealSNR
12-22-2015, 08:06 AM

Alas, your future RG
:facepalm:

LDT deserves the RG spot next year. He's getting better.

Somewhere along the way, morons like you forgot that it takes time for players to get really good. If they had their way, we would have given up on Allen Bailey, Jaye Howard, Derrick Johnson, among others on our current team. And that's not even counting players like Dante Hall, Brian Waters, and Tony Richardson from past teams.

LDT played football at fucking McGill. He may as well have been playing a fucking completely different sport for fuck's sake. Quit your bitching and give him a goddamn chance. He's currently playing at an adequate level with the occasional glaring mistake. Those will be eliminated in due time.

RunKC
12-22-2015, 09:14 AM
$3m still has incredible value to us with what we are facing cap wise. So let me ask you what you'd rather spend the $3m on:

Husain Abdullah or Jeff Allen?
Tyvonn Branch or Jeff Allen?
DJ or Jeff Allen?
Mike DeVito or Jeff Allen?

I think I would rather use $3m on all of those options over Jeff Allen every time.

TEX
12-22-2015, 09:17 AM
$3m still has incredible value to us with what we are facing cap wise. So let me ask you what you'd rather spend the $3m on:

Husain Abdullah or Jeff Allen?
Tyvonn Branch or Jeff Allen?
DJ or Jeff Allen?
Mike DeVito or Jeff Allen?

I think I would rather use $3m on all of those options over Jeff Allen every time.

Yep.

DJ's left nut
12-22-2015, 09:33 AM
I think DJ's being undervalued quite a bit here.

Our ability to play so many Nickel groupings is due in large part to DJ's ability to be elite in both coverage and run support. In many ways, he's like having an extra player on the field.

You take DJ out of this defense and we'll have to play a lot more base defense on first and second downs to keep the run D from getting gouged. In terms of their impact on the team, I think DJ's arguably the most important guy to keep around.

For the next 2 seasons, I'd go:
DJ
Smith
Howard
Berry

That being said, the next 2 seasons aren't the only thing that matters. Moreover, impact on the field also isn't the only thing that matters. When you consider the next 5 seasons as well as the impact on the franchise at large, it does change things a bit. At that point I think you have to say:

Howard
Berry
DJ
Smith

Smith is just so damn important to this defense. At the same time, he's going to be 29 next year and the wall is coming soon enough. If you could get him on a deal that you can escape in 2 years, I'd say you make the move. That said, that just doesn't seem terribly likely. He'll probably end up the top FA corner on the market.

I guess you look at Byron Maxwell's crazy-ass deal and you can see that it's really just a 2 year deal for $22 million w/ an easy escape hatch after year 2. Truth be told, I'd probably just franchise him instead.

If it were me, when you look at the combination of cost and impact, I think DJ's the guy I'd target first. He's going to be more affordable than Howard and you know what you'll get from him. I think his impact on the defense is greater than anyone else's in the short term and retaining him shouldn't be cost prohibitive. Then I'd look to Howard and finally Berry. But really, you pretty much just keep the lines open on all 3 of those guys and try desperately to structure deals in a way that would allow you to tag Smith as well.

DJ's left nut
12-22-2015, 09:48 AM
A vet minimum contract with incentives for each game played would be ideal for Allen.

If he can't play another game this season, it's unlikely he could find a better deal elsewhere.

Games played incentives are considered 'likely to be earned', I believe. Though it may be a little different for Allen because I think the designation depends on how a guy did the previous year. Since Allen was hurt so often this year, bonuses based on things like 'playing 70% of offensive snaps' may be deemed NLTBE.

That said, he's looks to have appeared in 10 games this year so that's going to be the baseline for next season. At least 10 games worth of incentives will be considered 'likely to be earned' incentives and we'll have to clear space for them up front.

The LTBE incentives count against your cap but perhaps Allen's injury history in 2015 would make it possible for us to structure the deal with a lot of NLTBE incentives that we'd have to pay for at the end of the year rather than clear space for beforehand. The 'percent of snaps' benchmarks are probably going to be considered NLTBE given the number of games he played in but not for the entire game. I'd imagine his percentage of snaps taken this year are well below 50%. The problem is that to make the deal palatable for Allen, you can't make the incentives too hard to reach and you can't make them all or nothing (i.e. $2 million if he plays in 70% of the teams snaps; he'll likely prefer something like $100K per game played; the first 10 of which would be LTBE).

Honestly, I think Fulton makes Allen something of an afterthought. The line is substantially better when Allen is in and playing well, but we can't let getting him extended hamstring anything else at this point.

The Franchise
12-22-2015, 10:20 AM

Holy shit.....you're a fucking idiot.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-22-2015, 10:24 AM
:facepalm:

LDT deserves the RG spot next year. He's getting better.

Somewhere along the way, morons like you forgot that it takes time for players to get really good. If they had their way, we would have given up on Allen Bailey, Jaye Howard, Derrick Johnson, among others on our current team. And that's not even counting players like Dante Hall, Brian Waters, and Tony Richardson from past teams.

LDT played football at ****ing McGill. He may as well have been playing a ****ing completely different sport for ****'s sake. Quit your bitching and give him a goddamn chance. He's currently playing at an adequate level with the occasional glaring mistake. Those will be eliminated in due time.

You wanna chill your shit real quick? Maybe tell me where I said I didn't like LDT in that post? Cause I literally said nothing that suggested I had a problem with LDT playing. Nothing.

O.city
12-22-2015, 10:27 AM
I still think it's hilarious someone said Belicheck would never pay a safety 9 million per year when he just did last aummer

DJ's left nut
12-22-2015, 10:35 AM
I still think it's hilarious someone said Belicheck would never pay a safety 9 million per year when he just did last aummer

What's more interesting is how the Bills use McCourty - they use him a LOT like the Chiefs use Parker.

If you look at the deal the Pats gave Chung, that's more in line with how Belichick would generally pay a 'pure' safety, IMO. But the Pats have lined McCourty up at CB and in the Nickel on occasion.

Truth be told, I don't think the Pats would give Berry the kind of deal that some are suggesting because I don't think he's as capable in coverage as many are giving him credit for. He's a great run-support safety that is average to maybe slightly above average in coverage.

I don't think that's worth the kind of money that a great coverage safety would be worth. To me, he's a slightly better version of Kam Chancellor. Now ultimately I'd say the market would support a $9-$10 million AAV for that level of player, but the market will support a lot of things that I don't think are wise.

But seriously, the 5/$25 we gave for Parker looks like a steal to me.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-22-2015, 10:39 AM
Ehhhh. Berry has been much much better than average in coverage this gear, IMHO.

Mr. Laz
12-22-2015, 10:47 AM

Jaye Howard is way better than people talk about ... must keep.

Sean Smith we have ZERO replacement options for ... must keep.

DJ we have zero replacement for but the position is easier to find ... important keep

everyone else is based on money:

Berry - we have safeties all over the place. Dorsey finds cheap and effective safeties every year. If you pay big for Berry is because leadership impact. You only go so high imo.

Allen if he's dirt cheap, we still need to have an option because he can't stay healthy. Is he even worth a roster spot consider the injuries?

I like Branch better than Ron Parker

Devito if he's cheap

we need more corners, less safeties

Right tackle is another key, rather not have jah reid as a starter

#2 TE (fuck you, Harris)
CB x 3 (goodbye Fleming and Cooper)
MLB (replacing DJ pretty soon)

penbrook
12-22-2015, 10:57 AM
LDT is improving each and every week. The only hope we really have on the line is the fucking LG spot! Fisher has been nails this year and same with Morse. LDT is improving and so is Reid. Just need a adequate LG. Remember guys we don't need a superstar at every position. With Smiths running ability we just need someone who is average

bricks
12-22-2015, 11:05 AM
They should keep wverybody and expand on top of what they have.

Get some more DBs in here that would give us depth and that could play the nickel and dime slots.

Draft some more offensive lineman for depth and that are starting material.

I would draft another WR that could compete with Conley or Wilson that could either start or solidify depth with respect to the position.

Draft an inside linebacker that's better than Mauga and could start and that has tremendous upside.

Draft, draft, draft and draft to solidify depth and to have some young up and comers. Keep everybody. I like this nucleus we have. We need to get better if we want to compete and win a Super Bowl in the future jabronis.

O.city
12-22-2015, 11:09 AM
What's more interesting is how the Bills use McCourty - they use him a LOT like the Chiefs use Parker.

If you look at the deal the Pats gave Chung, that's more in line with how Belichick would generally pay a 'pure' safety, IMO. But the Pats have lined McCourty up at CB and in the Nickel on occasion.

Truth be told, I don't think the Pats would give Berry the kind of deal that some are suggesting because I don't think he's as capable in coverage as many are giving him credit for. He's a great run-support safety that is average to maybe slightly above average in coverage.

I don't think that's worth the kind of money that a great coverage safety would be worth. To me, he's a slightly better version of Kam Chancellor. Now ultimately I'd say the market would support a $9-$10 million AAV for that level of player, but the market will support a lot of things that I don't think are wise.

But seriously, the 5/$25 we gave for Parker looks like a steal to me.

Yes, parker has been a great sign, as have the other 2 safeties.

I don't know what the market has for berry. Just have to let it play out.

I th8nk k it's a little optimistic to think there's any chance Sean smith is here next year. He's getting 10 million per, pretty easily I'd imagine. At 29, that's a tough pill.

DJ's left nut
12-22-2015, 11:15 AM
I feel like 2017 may be another 'comp pick bonanza'.

Look at it this way - Chase Daniel is going to get signed to a decent deal by somebody. Maybe he'll get a chance to start, maybe not, but a team like the Cowboys aren't going to let another season get away from them because they were forced to play Matt Cassel. I'd be shocked if Daniel couldn't swing an AAV in the neighborhood of $5 million/season at this point and if he does, that becomes a legitimate shot at a 4th round pick. Allen may get a Schwartz deal. Smith will get a massive offer from someone.

We really could be looking at another 3-4-5 scenario and that sure would be a nice thing to have in our pockets and something that we should consider when planning the roster going forward.

chiefzilla1501
12-22-2015, 11:18 AM
Jaye Howard is way better than people talk about ... must keep.

Sean Smith we have ZERO replacement options for ... must keep.

DJ we have zero replacement for but the position is easier to find ... important keep

everyone else is based on money:

Berry - we have safeties all over the place. Dorsey finds cheap and effective safeties every year. If you pay big for Berry is because leadership impact. You only go so high imo.

Allen if he's dirt cheap, we still need to have an option because he can't stay healthy. Is he even worth a roster spot consider the injuries?

I like Branch better than Ron Parker

Devito if he's cheap

we need more corners, less safeties

Right tackle is another key, rather not have jah reid as a starter

#2 TE (**** you, Harris)
CB x 3 (goodbye Fleming and Cooper)
MLB (replacing DJ pretty soon)

Something interesting to consider when you look at Dorsey's approach to building a roster. And it's an approach I really like. Dorsey seems to prefer locking low positional value players to short-term deals. Fanaika, Jah Reid, Mauga... even looking at deals he gave to Demps and Branch. Meanwhile, the big money contracts and high draft picks have gone mostly to playmakers. I think his approach is... I'm going to give you more money early because you fill a gap, but we're going to try like hell to replace you.

When you look at fanaika, mauga, reid, parker, even Grubbs.... these deals are easy to back out of by the 3rd year. Some of them even sooner. So that hints at how we'll approach the offseason. He'll probably attack the bottom of the list by convincing them to take front-loaded deals with easy backouts. If they won't do it, he'll walk away so we have to be prepared for a few of these guys to walk.

The Franchise
12-22-2015, 11:20 AM
I feel like 2017 may be another 'comp pick bonanza'.

Look at it this way - Chase Daniel is going to get signed to a decent deal by somebody. Maybe he'll get a chance to start, maybe not, but a team like the Cowboys aren't going to let another season get away from them because they were forced to play Matt Cassel. I'd be shocked if Daniel couldn't swing an AAV in the neighborhood of $5 million/season at this point and if he does, that becomes a legitimate shot at a 4th round pick. Allen may get a Schwartz deal. Smith will get a massive offer from someone.

We really could be looking at another 3-4-5 scenario and that sure would be a nice thing to have in our pockets and something that we should consider when planning the roster going forward.

As long as we bring back DJ, Berry and Howard.....and then build more depth in the draft....I'm perfectly fine with that.

RunKC
12-22-2015, 11:24 AM
I look at the utter annihilation our defense suffered when Sean Smith was not playing. We even had Gaines and it was still a disaster.

And then you have Marcus Peters and...

Gaines off an ACL
unknown Steven Nelson
Jamel Flemming
Marcus Cooper

Yikes. Keeping him will be very difficult but maybe Dorsey can work his magic.

DJ's left nut
12-22-2015, 11:25 AM
I th8nk k it's a little optimistic to think there's any chance Sean smith is here next year. He's getting 10 million per, pretty easily I'd imagine. At 29, that's a tough pill.

Smith is the kind of guy that a smart GM walks away from, I know.

We got a screaming bargain on him over his prime years (Clay, once again, is an idiot). If he never played another down in KC after 2015, that contract would have worked out as perfectly as you could ever hope for a FA contract.

Now he's on the downside of his career (CBs don't age well at 30ish) and he's going to be looking for one last big pay day. Inertia, which I'm falling victim to here as well, would say that you simply can't let the guy get away with what he's been able to do for the team.

But yeah, that kind of money for an aging corner is risky business and could very easily blow up on you. It's probably best to walk away, but if you do it, you'd better build up a ton more depth in the draft.

Really, the best case scenario to me is to franchise the guy. If you can fit his tag # under the cap, draft another CB to build depth in the secondary and then get him for one more season, you have to do it. He'd flip shit over it (because going into the market at 30 is not nearly as marketable), but he won't sit out.

O.city
12-22-2015, 11:25 AM
I figure one of branch and abdullah ends up starting somewhere, although it's something I think we should look at when worrying about our depth at corner.

All of our safeties are very comfortable covering in the slot.

If Gaines can come back and play outside, I'd look at using Sean Smith's money to sign those safeties and another lower tier cb, along with drafting one.

The Franchise
12-22-2015, 11:29 AM
Who do you bring back? Abdullah or Branch? Or do you let both walk and draft a safety on day 2?

O.city
12-22-2015, 11:29 AM

We got a screaming bargain on him over his prime years (Clay, once again, is an idiot). If he never played another down in KC after 2015, that contract would have worked out as perfectly as you could ever hope for a FA contract.

Now he's on the downside of his career (CBs don't age well at 30ish) and he's going to be looking for one last big pay day. Inertia, which I'm falling victim to here as well, would say that you simply can't let the guy get away with what he's been able to do for the team.

But yeah, that kind of money for an aging corner is risky business and could very easily blow up on you. It's probably best to walk away, but if you do it, you'd better build up a ton more depth in the draft.

Really, the best case scenario to me is to franchise the guy. If you can fit his tag # under the cap, draft another CB to build depth in the secondary and then get him for one more season, you have to do it. He'd flip shit over it (because going into the market at 30 is not nearly as marketable), but he won't sit out.

I wouldnt be opposed to tagging him. Gaines going down hurts because from where I sit, he was groomed to be the other guy there.

Id love to keep smith, he's a great fit on this defense, I don't think he'll be as good anywhere else.

But $ talks.

Skyy God
12-22-2015, 11:30 AM
We're in win now mode, so keep as many of the contributors as possible.

O.city
12-22-2015, 11:31 AM
Who do you bring back? Abdullah or Branch? Or do you let both walk and draft a safety on day 2?

Honestly, I'd bring both back, but that probably means you lose berry.

I think abdullah stays, branch is gone (which sucks because I like the guy alot) and berry may stay.

If we run into the Pats somewhere, branch is gonna be huge in terms of slowing gronk.

Mr. Laz
As long as we bring back DJ, Berry and Howard.....and then build more depth in the draft....I'm perfectly fine with that.

What are we going to do without Sean Smith next year?

Peters is fine
Gaines is still so unknown and then probably a slot guy

then what?

Cooper again? fleming?

You pretty much have to have 2 edge guys to run Sutton's scheme.

Sean Smith leaving pretty much locks us into a 1st round CB next draft.

DJ's left nut
I figure one of branch and abdullah ends up starting somewhere, although it's something I think we should look at when worrying about our depth at corner.

All of our safeties are very comfortable covering in the slot.

If Gaines can come back and play outside, I'd look at using Sean Smith's money to sign those safeties and another lower tier cb, along with drafting one.

Let's not forget that Abullah will be 31 next year and Branch 30. Neither of them are going to be guys that a ton of teams are chasing as long term starters. You look at how quickly a guy like Donte Whitner fell off and it has to make you pretty skittish about using a guy that age as a starter.

When you can utilize them in spot-duty, the age isn't as big a deal, but I just don't know that teams are looking to pay substantial sums for 30+ yr old safeties.

DJ's left nut
12-22-2015, 11:34 AM
What are we going to do without Sean Smith next year?

Peters is fine
Gaines is still so unknown and then probably a slot guy

then what?

Cooper again? fleming?

You pretty much have to have 2 edge guys to run Sutton's scheme.

Sean Smith leaving pretty much locks us into a 1st round CB next draft.

Nah, Gaines has the skills to be an edge player. It's just a question of his development.

O.city
12-22-2015, 11:34 AM
Let's not forget that Abullah will be 31 next year and Branch 30. Neither of them are going to be guys that a ton of teams are chasing as long term starters. You look at how quickly a guy like Donte Whitner fell off and it has to make you pretty skittish about using a guy that age as a starter.

When you can utilize them in spot-duty, the age isn't as big a deal, but I just don't know that teams are looking to pay substantial sums for 30+ yr old safeties.

That's true.

If you could get them both in for 2 years, and around 15 mil, I think it wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Actualky, probably less money.

O.city
12-22-2015, 11:35 AM
Also, at some point you rely on your coaching and development to fill gaps.

We can't pay Sean smith 10 million per for 3 or 4 years

Mr. Laz
12-22-2015, 11:41 AM
Nah, Gaines has the skills to be an edge player. It's just a question of his development.

base on what?

not what he's done so far

DJ's left nut
12-22-2015, 11:41 AM
That's true.

If you could get them both in for 2 years, and around 15 mil, I think it wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Actualky, probably less money.

Way too much. Overpaying for mediocrity will kill you more than overpaying for starters, IMO.

We got Abdullah and Branch this year for about $3 million total (after all incentives for Branch are paid). You're talking about more than doubling that and spending $7.5 million/season on a pair of backup safeties.

That's what the draft is for. That's enough money for a genuine every down starter. That's the kind of move that costs you Howard or Berry. Try to bring one of them back at 2/$5 million and fill the other one with another Branch/Demps or draft pick.

O.city
12-22-2015, 11:42 AM
Way too much. Overpaying for mediocrity will kill you more than overpaying for starters, IMO.

We got Abdullah and Branch this year for about $3 million total (after all incentives for Branch are paid). You're talking about more than doubling that and spending $7.5 million/season on a pair of backup safeties.

That's what the draft is for. That's enough money for a genuine every down starter. That's the kind of move that costs you Howard or Berry. Try to bring one of them back at 2/$5 million and fill the other one with another Branch/Demps or draft pick.

I was thinking that much for both of them combined but your probably right therr.

RunKC
12-22-2015, 11:42 AM

How do you feel about this DJ?

$34.5m projected in the bank and I believe the CB tag will rise to roughly $14m. With $7m needed for the draft, that would leave us with about $14m to sign everybody else.

I wonder if Dorsey will restructure multiple contracts (hi Colquitt) and structure his new deals to give guys a little less in their first year while giving them a signing bonus?
Maybe do that with Berry or Howard and give them $3m less than their yearly avg and say "hey here's a hefty signing bonus that's guaranteed because you deserve it".

After the cap work Dorsey pulled last season, I have faith in him to do what he wants.

DJ's left nut
12-22-2015, 11:44 AM
base on what?

not what he's done so far

Expound.

He showed a fair amount of edge ability as a rookie; many saw that ability and predicted a breakout season for him. To start this season the Chiefs weren't wanting to jerk him around so they put him in the Nickel rather than ask him to cover for Smith when Smith was suspended.

What he did as a rookie absolutely demonstrated the physical tools necessary to be an outside CB. Playing the Nickel was a coaching decision built around Reid's absurd fascination with continuity. And remember, it wasn't Gaines getting his ass kicked in those games - it was Fleming.

The year of lost development will hurt and perhaps makes putting him on an island a season too soon, but if we commit to it we could see a Brandon Carr kind of learning curve where he comes into his own over the course of the season and is a genuine asset by the end of the year.

chiefzilla1501
12-22-2015, 11:45 AM

$34.5m projected in the bank and I believe the CB tag will rise to roughly $14m. With $7m needed for the draft, that would leave us with about $14m to sign everybody else.

I wonder if Dorsey will restructure multiple contracts (hi Colquitt) and structure his new deals to give guys a little less in their first year while giving them a signing bonus?
Maybe do that with Berry or Howard and give them $3m less than their yearly avg and say "hey here's a hefty signing bonus that's guaranteed because you deserve it".

After the cap work Dorsey pulled last season, I have faith in him to do what he wants.

Backload guys like Berry and Howard. Frontload guys like Sean Smith and DJ. It's absolutely doable and it's consistent with how Dorsey has handled contracts. This time our cap situation gives us a lot of flexibility to do it.

RunKC
12-22-2015, 11:48 AM

Let Jeff Allen walk, try like hell to sign one of these guys, sign Sorenson for 600k and then draft another developmental S in the mid rounds would be my plan.

The Franchise
12-22-2015, 11:49 AM
I'm fine with bringing Allen back if he agrees to an incentive laden deal.

DJ's left nut
12-22-2015, 11:51 AM

Berry and Howard are both young enough that I wouldn't be opposed to a deal that's heavier in bonus because you have to figure it's at least 3 years before they've aged out of their primes and with the June 1 designation, you essentially get a 4th season to push out that accelerated hit. So if you sign them to 5 year deals with a heavy signing bonus, it should reduce the AAV needed to sign them, keep the first year hit more reasonable and doesn't really put the team at substantially greater risk.

Really, that's the only way they'll be able to get it done and keep those guys. And frankly, I'm still not sure it would be enough (though I think you're forgetting the 2015 rollover; it's going to be cancelled out in large part by Hali's voided years). It's going to be extremely difficult to get DJ, Howard, Berry and Smith back in here without significant re-structures that would carve into the long-term flexibility we'll likely wish we had back come time to extend Kelce and/or Poe.

I think the answer probably ends up being to let Smith walk; it's just getting harder and harder to avoid that conclusion.

O.city
12-22-2015, 11:52 AM
I didn't realize the ages of abdullah and Branch so yeah, probably lessen those deals substantially

O.city
12-22-2015, 11:53 AM
Smith is gone.

Charles may be gone too.

chiefzilla1501
12-22-2015, 11:53 AM

While Dorsey has cut a lot of backup guys loose, he's also had a history of giving them frontloaded contracts with easy bailouts. So I don't entirely agree that these are moves that keep you from signing Berry or Howard. Dorsey seems to love making a series of these small moves but then actively uses the draft to find ways to get out of the contract.

Because we're talking about 2 safeties here, I could easily see this happening, because he'll want a stopgap until he finds a replacement.