PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs won't change approach if Tamba Hali and Justin Houston don't play

Direckshun
12-26-2015, 03:15 AM
What a clusterfuck.

I honestly think Hali and Houston playing hobbled upon their return has a chance to doom our postseason.

http://espn.go.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/15256/chiefs-would-change-defensive-approach-if-hali-and-houston-dont-play

Chiefs won't change approach if Tamba Hali and Justin Houston don't play
Adam Teicher
1:00 PM ET

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- This is not how the Kansas City Chiefs pictured things, that they would try to win a late-season game critical to their playoff hopes without either of their top pass rushers, Tamba Hali and Justin Houston.

But that’s how it could be for the 9-5 Chiefs on Sunday against the Cleveland Browns at Arrowhead Stadium. The Chiefs would clinch a playoff spot by beating the Browns if either of two competitors for an AFC wild-card spot, the New York Jets or Pittsburgh Steelers, loses its game.

“You try not to reduce your standards of what your expectations are," defensive coordinator Bob Sutton said. “The (opposing) offense doesn’t discount us because of who is playing. We’ve got to play at a certain level and play in a certain manner all the time.

“If that would be the case, then the next guys up are Dee Ford and Frank (Zombo) and we’ve got to do a great job with it and just go get ‘em. We’re not going to change what we do on defense, obviously."

The Chiefs have yet to rule out Hali or Houston for Sunday’s game, but neither has practiced this week. There seemed to be some optimism that Hali, who broke his thumb in Sunday’s win over the Ravens and subsequently had surgery to insert three screws, would be available to play.

Houston has a hyperextended knee and hasn’t played since he was injured in a Nov. 29 game against the Bills.

Ford has replaced Houston and Zombo would replace Hali. Each has had standout games for the Chiefs recently. Ford had three sacks in a Dec. 13 win over the Chargers and Zombo two sacks late in a Dec. 6 win over the Raiders.

“We’re like everybody in the NFL," Sutton said. “We’d all like to have our starting players. If we don’t, we’re fortunate to have some guys that I think can come in and play pretty well."

Bob Dole
12-26-2015, 07:05 AM
A broken thumb isn't really "hobbled". People play with that sort of injury almost every week.

Direckshun
12-26-2015, 07:07 AM
A broken thumb isn't really "hobbled". People play with that sort of injury almost every week.

People say that, but I don't buy it.

Ever break your thumb? Exactly how much were you doing with it while it was broken?

Hali has to grab, punch, and handfight to do his job effectively. Not to mention he's facing against a 300 lbs behemoth 60 times a game.

jspchief
12-26-2015, 08:36 AM
This game has all the makings of a loss. Long win streak, home game on the holidays, 3rd shit weather home game (fans will be subdued), injuries, unconventional opposing QB, team starting slow 3 consecutive weeks.

Why Not?
12-26-2015, 08:44 AM
This game has all the makings of a loss. Long win streak, home game on the holidays, 3rd shit weather home game (fans will be subdued), injuries, unconventional opposing QB, team starting slow 3 consecutive weeks.

If the Chiefs lose this game, they exposed themselves as frauds of the highest order. The Browns are crap. Get 9 other dudes from this board and we'll meet at Arrowhead tomorrow and rush for 150 against the Browns. This is the surest thing to a win for this team in a decade. Yes, I know, Chiefs. But seriously this game will be 30-10ish or I'll eat my hat

DaFace
12-26-2015, 08:51 AM
Against a team like the Raiders? Maybe. Not the Browns though. If we lose this game, we didn't deserve the playoffs anyway.

lewdog
12-26-2015, 08:55 AM
If the Chiefs lose this game, they exposed themselves as frauds of the highest order. The Browns are crap. Get 9 other dudes from this board and we'll meet at Arrowhead tomorrow and rush for 150 against the Browns. This is the surest thing to a win for this team in a decade. Yes, I know, Chiefs. But seriously this game will be 30-10ish or I'll eat my hat

I'm donating all my Chiefs gear to kids in Africa if we lose this game. What should I bet?

jspchief
12-26-2015, 09:00 AM
I don't necessarily agree that it makes them frauds. It's the NFL. The margin for error is small and good teams lose to bad teams every week. Both Superbowl teams last year lost to a bad Chiefs team.

A part of me even thinks getting a loss out the way now could be a good thing to bring back focus, keep them sharp. Of course I'd like even more for them to flat out dominate and keep pressure on Denver.

jjchieffan
12-26-2015, 09:32 AM
The OP says that neither Houston or Hali have been ruled out this week. Actually, Houston is listed as out. Hali is listed as questionable.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-26-2015, 09:53 AM
And we're up against a future Hall of Fame QB that can scramble better than any QB in the History of football.

Halfcan
12-26-2015, 10:29 AM
Chiefs will still win this one by a wide margin.

NJChiefsFan
12-26-2015, 10:30 AM
I'm still not sure what Direckshun thinks Hali's injury will do to our chances.

CoMoChief
12-26-2015, 11:17 AM
So who's the starting QB for CLE? Manziel still?

ARROW2
12-26-2015, 11:17 AM
Fuck Cleveland. Is SONIC open?

tk13
12-26-2015, 11:22 AM
I don't necessarily agree that it makes them frauds. It's the NFL. The margin for error is small and good teams lose to bad teams every week. Both Superbowl teams last year lost to a bad Chiefs team.

A part of me even thinks getting a loss out the way now could be a good thing to bring back focus, keep them sharp. Of course I'd like even more for them to flat out dominate and keep pressure on Denver.

Look no further than a couple weeks ago when Philly went into New England and whipped them. It doesn't mean New England is a fraud. It's just hard to win every single week. You can't invalidate their entire season because of one game.

Only problem with a loss is it puts a dent in our playoff hopes. With our luck the Jets would beat New England this weekend and put us in the hole.

stevieray
12-26-2015, 11:23 AM
With our luck the Jets would beat New England this weekend and put us in the hole.

Geez, I wish you guys would stop already. I'm as shell shocked as anyone else, but damn.

tk13
12-26-2015, 11:26 AM
Geez, I wish you guys would stop already. I'm as shell shocked as anyone else, but damn.

I was joking, but I'd still rather not leave it up to anyone else to lose.

I said when we were 2-5 that we had a chance to win a playoff game this year because the AFC is not strong...when 95% of this place was ready to tank, so don't put me on that bandwagon.

stevieray
12-26-2015, 11:30 AM
I was joking, but I'd still rather not leave it up to anyone else to lose.

I said when we were 2-5 that we had a chance to win a playoff game this year because the AFC is not strong...when 95% of this place was ready to tank, so don't put me on that bandwagon.

Oh I agree, I'd like to seal up the playoffs tmrw.

And yes, you were one of the most vocal about weak the AFC is....it's been a quirky year, no doubt.

If we do make the playoffs, that's twice in three years. at least we are headed in the right direction after the carousel of coaches.

tk13
12-26-2015, 11:40 AM
Oh I agree, I'd like to seal up the playoffs tmrw.

And yes, you were one of the most vocal about weak the AFC is....it's been a quirky year, no doubt.

If we do make the playoffs, that's twice in three years. at least we are headed in the right direction after the carousel of coaches.

I think Reid has faults but he wins games, pretty much every year. That's really hard in the NFL. Yeah that reminds people of Marty, but Reid also has won a bunch of playoff games too. There really aren't that many coaches with a better resume overall. If he can stick around a few more years and somehow manage to win a title he'll probably be a HOF coach.

stevieray
12-26-2015, 11:47 AM
I think Reid has faults but he wins games, pretty much every year. That's really hard in the NFL. Yeah that reminds people of Marty, but Reid also has won a bunch of playoff games too. There really aren't that many coaches with a better resume overall. If he can stick around a few more years and somehow manage to win a title he'll probably be a HOF coach.

IIRC, Isn't he like top twenty in wins?

A win tmrw sure would be nice for the fans..after 7 of the first 10 away, and showing up in bad weather...if we can seal it and not have to worry about the Raider game, that would be pretty cool, and give us a chance to get healthy.

Why Not?
12-26-2015, 11:50 AM
I'm donating all my Chiefs gear to kids in Africa if we lose this game. What should I bet?

Tease it down to feel great about it. Chiefs -5 and under 48

BossChief
12-26-2015, 11:52 AM
IIRC, Isn't he like top twenty in wins?

A win tmrw sure would be nice for the fans..after 7 of the first 10 away, and showing up in bad weather...if we can seal it and not have to worry about the Raider game, that would be pretty cool, and give us a chance to get healthy.

Next week will be to win the division and to knock Denver out.

stevieray
12-26-2015, 11:53 AM
Next week will be to win the division and to knock Denver out.

One game at a time, but that would be epic.

1-5 to AFC Champs?

:eek::eek::eek:

ARROW2
12-26-2015, 12:06 PM
Even if the Jets lose, the Raider game is going to be important because wouldn't you rather still have the 5 seed and that matchup instead of the 6 seed? I understand we can spank Denver in Denver but I would rather go to Houston if Denver doesn't lose. if Denver loses, then we have to play to win the division. Raider game will matter, period. No way around it.

stevieray
12-26-2015, 12:07 PM
Even if the Jets lose, the Raider game is going to be important because wouldn't you rather still have the 5 seed and that matchup instead of the 6 seed? I understand we can spank Denver in Denver but I would rather go to Houston if Denver doesn't lose. if Denver loses, then we have to play to win the division. Raider game will matter, period. No way around it.

But it doesn't knock us out of the playoffs.

NJChiefsFan
12-26-2015, 12:12 PM
But it doesn't knock us out of the playoffs.

Right or wrong, I don't see KC losing to Oakland if they are already clinched and it's just about seeding. My concern is if there is a lot of pressure on the game and Oakland has a reason to beat us. First things first though, need to beat Cleveland.

Rausch
12-26-2015, 12:17 PM
Against a team like the Raiders? Maybe. Not the Browns though. If we lose this game, we didn't deserve the playoffs anyway.

This.

I worry about that Raider game if we're not healthy...

pugsnotdrugs19
12-26-2015, 12:27 PM
If Hali truly is hampered by this injury the next few weeks, we can only hope Houston comes back and Ford can take some pressure off of Hali...

ARROW2
12-26-2015, 12:29 PM
I get that but I want the best possible path to the SB. If we are not thinking that way then why are we playing the games. It is there for the taking. Getting the 3 guarantees that we won't have to go to Foxboro in second round, if at all. Getting 6 seed guarantees it if we get past WC game. Don't want that unless it is AFCCG.

stevieray
12-26-2015, 12:31 PM
I get that but I want the best possible path to the SB. If we are not thinking that way then why are we playing the games. It is there for the taking.
They aren't going to finish the season coasting, regardless.

ARROW2
12-26-2015, 12:31 PM
Don't want to go to Foxboro for divisional round. We could go to Foxboro from 5 seed if Pitt loses to Denver but do you really see that happening?

ARROW2
12-26-2015, 12:32 PM
They aren't going to finish the season coasting, regardless.

Nope. Not when you were 1-5.

Rausch
12-26-2015, 12:33 PM
Don't want to go to Foxboro for divisional round. We could go to Foxboro from 5 seed if Pitt loses to Denver but do you really see that happening?

Did anyone really see Tebow winning a playoff game?...

stevieray
12-26-2015, 12:35 PM
Nope. Not when you were 1-5.

:rockon:

alpha_omega
12-26-2015, 06:11 PM
.....If we lose this game, we didn't deserve the playoffs anyway.

Shazam. This.

Mr. Laz
12-26-2015, 06:18 PM
They better change their approach.

different players need a different scheme.

I assume they will move Ford to RDE and then start Zombo in Houston's place

MatriculatingHank
12-26-2015, 06:39 PM
If we lose this game, we didn't deserve the playoffs anyway.

If the Chiefs don't win by 14 or more they don't deserve the playoffs.

ARROW2
12-27-2015, 03:50 AM
:rockon:

You do realize I was agreeing with you on that point don't you? They won't let down because of where they came from, 1-5.

Chiefs will be fine. **** Johnny Football.

Direckshun
12-27-2015, 06:35 AM
In a way, these last two games will be a great dress rehearsal for Dee Ford and Frank Zombo. They're against lousy teams with very good offensive lines. We'll be able to see if they can get after the QB against really good tackles.

If they can't over the next couple weeks, we could be in trouble when the playoffs arrive.

RunKC
12-27-2015, 10:17 AM
In a way, these last two games will be a great dress rehearsal for Dee Ford and Frank Zombo. They're against lousy teams with very good offensive lines. We'll be able to see if they can get after the QB against really good tackles.

If they can't over the next couple weeks, we could be in trouble when the playoffs arrive.

Really?

Joe Thomas is the best LT in the league. I can't think of many playoff teams, if any at all, that have a LT even close to his level.

Direckshun
12-27-2015, 10:27 AM
Really?

Joe Thomas is the best LT in the league. I can't think of many playoff teams, if any at all, that have a LT even close to his level.

What quality tackles do the playoff teams have? (Jets included.)

In order:

1. Jets
2. Bengals
3. Texans
4. Steelers
5. Patriots
6. Broncos

pugsnotdrugs19
12-27-2015, 10:34 AM
What quality tackles do the playoff teams have? (Jets included.)

In order:

1. Jets
2. Bengals
3. Texans
4. Steelers
5. Patriots
6. Broncos

Whitworth, Smith (CIN)
Brown (HOU)
Gilbert (PIT)
Vollmer (NE)

RunKC
12-27-2015, 10:39 AM
Looking at this list makes me thankful we have Eric Fisher. It is incredibly difficult to get a quality LT in the league today.

He's not elite, but he's reliable.