PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Don't We Get to Choose?

RINGLEADER
12-27-2015, 03:16 PM
OK so I saw the coin flip in the Jets/Pats game.

That has to go down as one of the most amazing things I've ever seen in a football game ever.

I guess IQ does count for something...

mdchiefsfan
12-27-2015, 03:18 PM
Insane

DaFace
12-27-2015, 03:21 PM
What happened?

GoShox
12-27-2015, 03:22 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The exchange that could help send the Jets to the playoffs... <a href="https://t.co/5ErbnKUyfE">pic.twitter.com/5ErbnKUyfE</a></p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/681221028358537221">December 27, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Buck
12-27-2015, 03:22 PM
What happened?

New England captain chose to kick (not defer), meaning the Jets automatically get to receive and choose which direction the kick goes.

If he had deferred, then the Jets would have chosen Kick or Receive and Pats would choose direction.

BossChief
12-27-2015, 03:24 PM
Wow

KCrockaholic
12-27-2015, 03:24 PM
Honestly the ref kinda set them up to make a mistake with saying "You want to kick?". Still, Slater needs to keep focus.

Buck
12-27-2015, 03:25 PM
I honestly think that New England wanted to defer and kick, but he said Kick instead of Defer.

TLO
12-27-2015, 03:25 PM
Ouch.

Buck
12-27-2015, 03:26 PM
<a class="embedly-card" href="https://streamable.com/1qwm">Streamable - simple video sharing</a>
<script async src="//cdn.embedly.com/widgets/platform.js" charset="UTF-8"></script>

SAUTO
12-27-2015, 03:27 PM
I honestly think that New England wanted to defer and kick, but he said Kick instead of Defer.

No fucking way you kick there. The ref confused that player

MahiMike
12-27-2015, 03:27 PM
College graduate

Buck
12-27-2015, 03:28 PM
No fucking way you kick there. The ref confused that player

Belichick has chosen to Kick first in OT before.

KCrockaholic
12-27-2015, 03:28 PM
No ****ing way you kick there. The ref confused that player

Reports are this was indeed the case.

BlackHelicopters
12-27-2015, 03:29 PM
Rocket Science

SAUTO
12-27-2015, 03:30 PM

Obviously the player was confused.

Buck
12-27-2015, 03:30 PM
Obviously the player was confused.

He was, but Belichick wanted to kick.

http://i.imgur.com/y7OB97j.png

ThaVirus
12-27-2015, 03:31 PM
No ****ing way you kick there. The ref confused that player

It really depends on the story of the game.

If your defense has been playing lights out, it can benefit you to kick first in OT.

NJChiefsFan

I think Slater was upset about they way they were kicking. If you read his reaction, he is upset about the way they were kicking.

tk13
I imagine the Steeler forums aren't taking this very well right now.

tk13
12-27-2015, 03:32 PM
Then again, Bill Simmons' conspiracy theory is that the Patriots threw OT because they want the Steelers out of the playoffs. They let them march down the field for a TD in like 5 plays.

SAUTO
12-27-2015, 03:34 PM
Then again, Bill Simmons' conspiracy theory is that the Patriots threw OT because they want the Steelers out of the playoffs. They let them march down the field for a TD in like 5 plays.

makes sense

RINGLEADER
12-27-2015, 03:35 PM

Belichek is the one guy crazy enough to come up with such a plan.

http://thestrandedstarfish.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Dr-Evil.png

Buck
12-27-2015, 03:37 PM
When I played football, we had 4 choices.

Kick
Receive
Choose Side
Defer

The last 2 are essentially the same thing, you just either choose your side first thing, or after you Defer and see whether the other team decides to Kick or Receive.

Pats wanted to Defer, let Jets pick Receive, and then pick their side. Since Slater said Kick, Jets automatically get to Receive and then they make their choice on side. Each team always gets once choice of something on coin flips.

Slater should have chosen a side or Deferred. The ref's questioning was a bit leading (I'm guessing the refs already knew they wanted to kick), and then he said "We want to kick." You can see him in that video I posted above pointing multiple times. They just wanted to kick in a certain direction, that's why he's pointing.

NJChiefsFan
12-27-2015, 03:42 PM

Kick
Receive
Choose Side
Defer

The last 2 are essentially the same thing, you just either choose your side first thing, or after you Defer and see whether the other team decides to Kick or Receive.

Pats wanted to Defer, let Jets pick Receive, and then pick their side. Since Slater said Kick, Jets automatically get to Receive and then they make their choice on side. Each team always gets once choice of something on coin flips.

Slater should have chosen a side or Deferred. The ref's questioning was a bit leading (I'm guessing the refs already knew they wanted to kick), and then he said "We want to kick." You can see him in that video I posted above pointing multiple times. They just wanted to kick in a certain direction, that's why he's pointing.

Yeah he is definitely upset about direction.

trd84
12-27-2015, 03:42 PM

Kick
Receive
Choose Side
Defer

This . He wanted to choose a side. But you can't choose both. You can pick a side or pick whether to kick or receive.

Saccopoo
12-27-2015, 03:44 PM

He surely is. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

dannybcaitlyn
12-27-2015, 03:45 PM

Yup. You have a HOF Qb on the side line. You go for the jugular first. Easy call in my book.

Rausch
12-27-2015, 03:46 PM
OK so I saw the coin flip in the Jets/Pats game.

That has to go down as one of the most amazing things I've ever seen in a football game ever.

I guess IQ does count for something...

Same as the Bettis-flip...

Buns
12-27-2015, 03:48 PM
It sounds to me like a Patriot (not Slater or Blakeman) says "We want to kick." Then Blakeman asks if they want to kick. He does not ask them if they want to kick first.