PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Special Teams competition

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-31-2015, 04:54 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Fierce-Competition-Taking-Place-Among-Chiefs-Special-Teamers/398380e3-05e0-49ff-a768-4db8518051cb
Fierce Competition Taking Place Among Chiefs Special Teamers

BJ Kissel

Chiefs Reporter

Chiefs.com

Email @ChiefsReporter

The battle is heating up as the regular season comes to a close

It started back in Chicago, where Dave Toub spent nine years (2004-12) developing a reputation with the Bears as one of the premier special teams coaches in the country.

His groups consistently ranked among the best in the NFL.

It was there that he ran a points system with his special teams group, grading every play from every player with either plus or minus points.

“It’s really a production system,” Toub explained. “Like if you make a tackle, for instance, then you get three points. If you miss a tackle then it’s minus three points. If we catch you loafing on tape then it’s minus four points.

“I mean, we keep track of everything.”

Toub brought this system to the Kansas City Chiefs, and the chart with everyone’s grades and rankings is posted right in the team room where everyone can see it.

“They’re competitive guys and so it doesn’t take much,” Toub explained of how it motivates his players. “You just set up a point chart and let them compete.”

Right now, second-year safety Daniel Sorensen is in the lead with one regular season game remaining.“Last year, I led it all and this year [Sorensen] is kind of edging me out a little bit right now,” veteran Frank Zombo explained.

Zombo, much like Sorensen, has seen extended action on defense recently with injuries to fellow linebackers Tamba Hali and Justin Houston, and for Sorensen, the injury to veteran safety Husain Abdullah has put him on the field more recently as well.

But despite the additional snaps on defense, that hasn’t affected either player’s ability to contribute on special teams.

“It’s big,” Chiefs coach Andy Reid said of this competition. “[Zombo] doesn’t want to come off the special teams thing because there’s a points race there and he wants to win that son of a gun.”

Last Sunday against the Cleveland Browns, Zombo played all 100 percent of the defensive snaps with both Houston and Hali out, and he also played 20 special teams snaps, which was tied for the team lead with, obviously, Sorensen, as well as D.J. Alexander and Jamell Fleming.

“It’s so important to him and he’s so invested in our special teams that he doesn’t want to come off the field,” Toub explained of Zombo. “He knows the value he brings.”

Alexander, the rookie fifth-round pick out of Oregon State, leads the Chiefs with 11 special teams tackles, followed by Zombo with 8 and Sorensen with 7.

But the points system goes much further than simple tackles statistics, and it’s something the guys take seriously.

“Sorensen is so consistent,” Toub explained. “He’s been playing above the line the whole season. I mean, he hasn’t had an average game all year.

“He just keeps getting better and better.”
And when it comes to defensive production, both players’ seasons kind of mirror one another.

Through the first eight weeks of the season, Zombo had played just 8 total defensive snaps and Sorensen had played only 9.

But over the past seven weeks, Zombo has played 160 defensive snaps and Sorensen has 180.

As both players step in and try to help on both offense and defense, the competition for the points title remains.

“It’s competitive but it’s all in good fun,” Sorensen said. “We’re out there with the main purpose of dominating while executing our assignment within the game plan.
“But it is kind of a fun thing to go back after the game and compare points.”

Rain Man
12-31-2015, 05:38 PM
That sounds like a fun system.

TimBone
12-31-2015, 06:03 PM
I wonder how many negative points a penalty counts for? Because it sure seems like we've had a ton of special team penalties the last couple of seasons.

staylor26
12-31-2015, 06:09 PM
I wonder how many negative points a penalty counts for? Because it sure seems like we've had a ton of special team penalties the last couple of seasons.

It's not just us. I feel like there is a flag on 80% of the returns I've seen all year in the NFL.

Mr. Laz
12-31-2015, 06:37 PM
Special teams have been pretty "meh" all year so it's fitting that Daniel "meh" Sorenson would be the ideal guy for them.