PDA

View Full Version : News RIP Trapper John

gblowfish
12-31-2015, 09:17 PM
Wayne Rogers passes away. Bummer.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Wayne Rogers, whose Trapper John McIntyre on "M.A.S.H." was among the most beloved characters on one of the most popular shows of all time, died Thursday.

The actor was surrounded by family when he died in Los Angeles of complications from pneumonia at age 82, his publicist and longtime friend Rona Menashe told The Associated Press.

As army surgeon Trapper John on "M.A.S.H.," Rogers swapped wisecracks with partner in martinis and mischief Hawkeye Pierce, played by Alan Alda.

The two doctors blew off steam between surgeries pulling pranks, romancing nurses and tormenting their tent-mate Frank Burns, always with an endless supply of booze and one-liners.

In one typical crack, Trapper answers a question with "How should I know? I dropped out of school to become a doctor."

Rogers was on the show for just the first three of its 11 seasons on CBS, but his run, and his character, are especially revered by show devotees.

An Alabama native and Princeton graduate, Rogers had parts on many short-lived shows before "M.A.S.H.," specializing in westerns like "Law of the Plainsman" and "Stagecoach West."

In the years after MASH he returned to TV regularly, with a recurring role in the early 1990s on "Murder, She Wrote."

He moved beyond acting to see serious success later in life as a money manager and investor. In 1988 and 1990 he appeared as an expert witness before the House Judiciary Committee to speak in favor of maintaining the Glass-Steagall banking laws of the 1930s.

In recent years he was a regular panelist on the Fox News stock investment show "Cashin' In."

Rogers is survived by his wife Amy, two children, Bill and Laura, and four grandchildren.

threebag
12-31-2015, 09:19 PM
RIP

siberian khatru
12-31-2015, 09:21 PM
I met him a few years ago when he stopped by the paper I was working at to discuss his local business interests. He seemed like a decent guy. RIP.

Baby Lee
12-31-2015, 09:22 PM
He was one of the most palatable 'celebrity experts' out there. Always an entertaining guest on Maher's shows. He was liberal as heck, but in a loving [hat tip, NewChief] affable and knowledgeable way.

stevieray
12-31-2015, 09:34 PM
I read that he was very giving and helped a lot of people out in business, etc.

Thanks for the laughs! Rogers, Alda and Linvillle were fantastic together.

RIP

Kman34
12-31-2015, 09:51 PM
Rest in peace Trapper....

eDave
12-31-2015, 09:55 PM
I read that he was very giving and helped a lot of people out in business, etc.

Thanks for the laughs! Rogers, Alda and Linvillle were fantastic together.

RIP

That's good to know. From what I know, he was a huge asshole. Huge.

RIP anyway.

stevieray
12-31-2015, 09:59 PM
That's good to know. From what I know, he was a huge asshole. Huge.

RIP anyway.

Really? like?

Deberg_1990
12-31-2015, 10:05 PM
I fully expected to open this thread and see a 'RIP Pernell Roberts'

mlyonsd
12-31-2015, 10:08 PM
Was one of those shows back in the day you tuned in every week to watch.

RIP.

eDave
12-31-2015, 10:08 PM
Really? like?

You'll have to PM me for details. :)

TrebMaxx
12-31-2015, 10:13 PM
RIP. Grew up with that show.

DaneMcCloud
12-31-2015, 10:23 PM
You'll have to PM me for details. :)

Don't do it, Stevie!

:D

It sucks to find out that people you admire from afar are really assholes in reality.

HonestChieffan
12-31-2015, 10:28 PM
I met him in the early 70's and he was a really fun and down to earth person. Too bad people who do much for others end up having people dog on them. Worse when its scumbags who can't wait to bag on them. RIP Mr. Rogers, a fine actor and a good person.

Baby Lee
12-31-2015, 11:14 PM
Don't do it, Stevie!

:D

It sucks to find out that people you admire from afar are really assholes in reality.

Hey!! We keep you around!! ;)

REDHOTGTO
01-01-2016, 02:00 AM
Sad deal, 82 ? Just means I'm getting older too, dam, really love M.A.S.H. Miss the whole crew

Mr. Laz
01-01-2016, 07:53 PM
RIP

Deberg_1990
01-01-2016, 08:20 PM
Who was better?

Trapper John or BJ Hunnicut?

Cheater5
01-01-2016, 08:28 PM
Who was better?

Trapper, hands down; he was much funnier, and BJ was a big pussy.

Rain Man
01-01-2016, 08:37 PM
Who was better?

Tough question. They were both good, and Hunnicutt was a more believable character. I think Trapper John was a more interesting character, though, and seemed to go better with the show. BJ was more of a background character in my opinion.

stevieray
01-01-2016, 09:08 PM
Tough question. They were both good, and Hunnicutt was a more believable character. I think Trapper John was a more interesting character, though, and seemed to go better with the show. BJ was more of a background character in my opinion.

Eh, I think they were both great , in that the war changed the characters over time...where as humor got them through in the beginning..see Henry, Frank, Klinger in a dress....and experience and wisdom helped them endure to the end...Potter, CEW III and Klinger as CC.

Mojo Jojo
01-02-2016, 04:40 AM
Two of the three who played Trapper are dead...if you have a dead pool I'd take Elliot Gould.

nychieffan
01-02-2016, 05:09 AM
Think I watched every episode, Trapper was a great character RIP.

O.city
01-02-2016, 08:39 AM
Always enjoyed trapper. Rip