PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Elway hates loud noises (1990)

petegz28
01-02-2016, 12:25 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5ED3-s3bNmI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Donger
01-02-2016, 12:28 PM
WTF? A penalty threat over crowd noise?

ptlyon
01-02-2016, 12:28 PM
Percy Snow. Good times.

B2chiefsfan
01-02-2016, 12:30 PM
This ain't golf folks...

stevieray
01-02-2016, 12:31 PM

Shanahan knows this all to well, too.

Yep, i was there for that game. It was horseshit. Unheard of.

Baby Lee
https://psucherunning.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/tumblr_ltrst4smbz1qfo3ndo4_250-loud-noises.gif

Halfcan
01-02-2016, 12:35 PM

Yep so was I. Elway was such a crying little bitch. The crowd got louder after that.

I mean what kind of pussy QB complains to the ref it is too loud. :rolleyes:

I still hate Elway over any player in NFL history.

01-02-2016, 12:37 PM
Yep so was I. Elway was such a crying little bitch. The crowd got louder after that.

One could argue that that series is what created Arrowheads mystique.

dlphg9
01-02-2016, 12:39 PM
Damn that gives me goose bumps. I've never heard Arrowhead that loud.

ptlyon
01-02-2016, 12:39 PM

And here I thought it was Camaro's and mullets

Brock
01-02-2016, 12:40 PM

Yes. Then the crowd got louder. The ref just kind of looked at elway and shrugged.

Donger
01-02-2016, 12:42 PM

Wow. That's pretty pathetic for Elway to complain and even worse for the referee to threaten a non-existent rule.

Dartgod
01-02-2016, 12:45 PM
Yes. Then the crowd got louder. The ref just kind of looked at elway and shrugged.

Yeah, was just going to post the same thing. I was also at that game. After the penalty, the crowd got louder and Elway cried some more.

Baby Lee
01-02-2016, 12:45 PM
Damn that gives me goose bumps. I've never heard Arrowhead that loud.

At :16, bar none the loudest I ever heard it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-7IGugeB2mk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

stevieray
01-02-2016, 12:47 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-7IGugeB2mk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Stadium was moving under your feet.. at the least, it felt that way.

Halfcan
01-02-2016, 12:50 PM

That was an amazing game. The crowd was so loud after that return it was like someone was pounding against your chest.

Lots of broken chairs after that one.

One of my favorite games.

Al Bundy
01-02-2016, 12:54 PM
Fuck that pussy ass ref.

Deberg_1990
01-02-2016, 12:55 PM
Heh, Elway was such a bitch

Is the crowd noise not as loud anymore or is it because of the radios in the QBs helmets that we don't hear any complaints anymore??

Halfcan
01-02-2016, 01:00 PM

Exactly!

I was at the Faders game when we set the noise record, but I really believe this game was louder-much louder.

I could not talk for days, my voice was shot.

Bwana
01-02-2016, 01:00 PM

Yeah I remember when the NFL had that "rule" for awhile. :shake:

ClevelandBronco
01-02-2016, 01:02 PM
You guys don't remember that this used to be a fairly common thing?

This is from a Chicago Tribune Q&A in 2005 with former referee Jerry Markbreit:

"Jerry, Is there still a crowd noise rule in the NFL, or did they do away with the delay of game penalties imposed on the crowd if the quarterback could not call the play? They used to penalize the home team. Is that rule still in effect?"

"Yes. Obvious inability of the offense to hear team signals because of crowd noise is handled under NFL rules by the following procedure: If the quarterback indicates to the referee that he cannot hear the signals, and the referee agrees, the referee will stop the clock and extend his arm fully over his head. The referee will announce over the wireless microphone that he has asked the defensive team to assist in quieting the crowd. If the crowd noise continues, the referee will again raise his arm and announce that any further crowd noise that is disruptive will result in the forfeiture by the defense of one of its remaining time outs. In the absence of any time outs remaining, a five-yard penalty against the defense will be assessed. Thereafter, if crowd noise reoccurs, the referee will stop the clock and assess the above loss of time out or five-yard penalty."

Donger
01-02-2016, 01:04 PM
Holy crap. It really was an actual rule?

http://www.examiner.com/article/a-noise-rule-vs-the-12th-man-unheard-of-or-is-it

ClevelandBronco
01-02-2016, 01:05 PM
Holy crap. It really was an actual rule?

http://www.examiner.com/article/a-noise-rule-vs-the-12th-man-unheard-of-or-is-it

Sure was, misguided as it may have been.

TLO
01-02-2016, 01:05 PM

So many blocks in the back. LMAO

Dunit35
01-02-2016, 01:12 PM
Which one of you was flipping off Denver at the 1:05 mark?

petegz28
01-02-2016, 01:17 PM

I'll do you one better. Vanover's punt return for a TD in OT on Monday Night Football against the Chargers.

Arguably the loudest Arrowhead has ever been. I was at the game but afterwards we were partying in the parking lot and they were replaying it on the radio and you couldn't even hear Holthus during the play and he was screaming....the crowd was just insanely loud.

01-02-2016, 01:24 PM
Exactly!

I was at the Faders game when we set the noise record, but I really believe this game was louder-much louder.

I could not talk for days, my voice was shot.

Yep, I have been saying that since last year when all the guiness bullshit started. I don't care how loud it was last year. Never even touched how loud it was in the 90s.

KChiefs1
01-02-2016, 01:32 PM

I was at that game.

Welcome to the NFL in the early 90's when crowd noise was bad.

KChiefs1
01-02-2016, 01:33 PM

I was there!

Rain Man
01-02-2016, 01:36 PM
You guys don't remember that this used to be a fairly common thing?

This is from a Chicago Tribune Q&A in 2005 with former referee Jerry Markbreit:

"Jerry, Is there still a crowd noise rule in the NFL, or did they do away with the delay of game penalties imposed on the crowd if the quarterback could not call the play? They used to penalize the home team. Is that rule still in effect?"

"Yes. Obvious inability of the offense to hear team signals because of crowd noise is handled under NFL rules by the following procedure: If the quarterback indicates to the referee that he cannot hear the signals, and the referee agrees, the referee will stop the clock and extend his arm fully over his head. The referee will announce over the wireless microphone that he has asked the defensive team to assist in quieting the crowd. If the crowd noise continues, the referee will again raise his arm and announce that any further crowd noise that is disruptive will result in the forfeiture by the defense of one of its remaining time outs. In the absence of any time outs remaining, a five-yard penalty against the defense will be assessed. Thereafter, if crowd noise reoccurs, the referee will stop the clock and assess the above loss of time out or five-yard penalty."

That rule made me laugh. If anyone had consulted a fan before making this rule, they would've quickly been told the fatal flaw.

Donger
01-02-2016, 01:38 PM
Was a penalty ever given during the time when this rule was in effect?

displacedinMN
01-02-2016, 01:39 PM
I used to have one of those yellow hats. They gave them to the NWMO band when we came down. We also got to sit in the stands that year-in fact, we may have been at that game. I have to look.

The crowd noise rule was a big then then. Crowds were no allowed to be too loud. Unlike today.

One of the biggest complainers was Bo Schembechler of Michigan. The crowd at Minnesota shut the game down many times. Around this same time-early 90's

Brock
01-02-2016, 01:40 PM

No.

Rain Man
01-02-2016, 01:40 PM

I think one or maybe two. I know that it was called at least once in some game I was watching. They also gave a handful of warnings, none of which seemed to be effective.

Rain Man
01-02-2016, 01:43 PM
No.

I swear I saw it once, but maybe it was just a warning. This article agrees that it was never called: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/24/sports/football/24noise.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Spott
01-02-2016, 01:43 PM
Proof of how much of a pussy he actually was.

Lonewolf Ed
01-02-2016, 01:44 PM

I was there, too, and it pissed everyone off so much since DeBerg tried to get some help from the refs against Pittsburgh in their stadium and the refs ignored him, got a delay of game, but when Elway threw a fit here, the refs told us to quiet down. :cuss:

displacedinMN
01-02-2016, 01:46 PM
I was there, too, and it pissed everyone off so much since DeBerg tried to get some help from the refs against Pittsburgh in their stadium and the refs ignored him, got a delay of game, but when Elway threw a fit here, the refs told us to quiet down. :cuss:

True. I remember that .

Deberg_1990
01-02-2016, 01:46 PM
I remember a game (might have been this one?) Where Marty attempted to quiet the crowd after a ref warning. It probably was several games.

Spott
01-02-2016, 01:49 PM
I remember a game (might have been this one?) Where Marty attempted to quiet the crowd after a ref warning. It probably was several games.

I think that was the 93 game that was on MNF against Denver. That game was also the home opener and Montana's first game in KC so it was pretty loud that game.

Rain Man
01-02-2016, 01:49 PM
Proof of how much of a pussy he actually was.

It was duly entered into the record as Evidence Item #1,207,964.

GloucesterChief
01-02-2016, 01:50 PM
I used to have one of those yellow hats. They gave them to the NWMO band when we came down. We also got to sit in the stands that year-in fact, we may have been at that game. I have to look.

The crowd noise rule was a big then then. Crowds were no allowed to be too loud. Unlike today.

One of the biggest complainers was Bo Schembechler of Michigan. The crowd at Minnesota shut the game down many times. Around this same time-early 90's

You can add Pete Carroll to that list. After Washington State beat USC in 2002, he whined and complained about the crowd using thunder sticks and got them banned by the Pac10.

TinyEvel
01-02-2016, 01:50 PM
God I hope we're that loud tomorrow. Even just close to that loud. And I hope we win and Denver loses and I'll be there next week handing out rolled up magazines as megaphones.

Rain Man
01-02-2016, 01:51 PM
God I hope we're that loud tomorrow. Even just close to that loud. And I hope we win and Denver loses and I'll be there next week handing out rolled up magazines as megaphones.

I'm yelling right now.

01-02-2016, 01:59 PM
Its going to be a fun tailgate. What time will you be there?

stevieray
01-02-2016, 02:00 PM

I'm stoked!

Randallflagg
01-02-2016, 02:14 PM

I remember that game like it was yesterday. When we FINALLY made it out of the parking lot - my ears were ringing so badly I couldn't hear the post game show. Good times. I remember the bronco fans screaming that there was clipping...screw 'em.

Toby Waller
01-02-2016, 02:14 PM
I'm yelling right now.

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/anchorman-i-dont-know-what.gif

http://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/2013-10/enhanced/webdr06/27/17/anigif_enhanced-buzz-32140-1382909490-7.gif

seclark
01-02-2016, 02:15 PM
I'll do you one better. Vanover's punt return for a TD in OT on Monday Night Football against the Chargers.

Arguably the loudest Arrowhead has ever been. I was at the game but afterwards we were partying in the parking lot and they were replaying it on the radio and you couldn't even hear Holthus during the play and he was screaming....the crowd was just insanely loud.

yeah, i was there too...that's when they had the dui checkpoint out on the highway right where you left the parking lots. clusterfuck.
sec

RINGLEADER
01-02-2016, 02:15 PM

You don't remember those?

I was at this game. Whenever the refs would do this "there will be a penalty if it is too loud" the crowd at Arrowhead just went nuts. Definitely louder than when we set the noise record.

RINGLEADER
01-02-2016, 02:18 PM
LOL.

"Thank you for your cooperation."

Superbowltrashcan
01-02-2016, 02:18 PM
As long as cellphones are permitted in the stadium, (and I am not suggesting they be banned) crowd noise will forever be a fraction of what it was in the 90s. When you are at the game tomorrow, for that matter any game or concert, look around and see just how many people are actually engaged in the event as opposed to checking text messages and making Instagram posts. They distract folks. I notice it at every game, every event. Not a judgement, just reality.

Randallflagg
01-02-2016, 02:23 PM
As long as cellphones are permitted in the stadium, (and I am not suggesting they be banned) crowd noise will forever be a fraction of what it was in the 90s. When you are at the game tomorrow, for that matter any game or concert, look around and see just how many people are actually engaged in the event as opposed to checking text messages and making Instagram posts. They distract folks. I notice it at every game, every event. Not a judgement, just reality.

Afraid that I can't argue with that one. My Wife and I attended my granddaughters Christmas recital a couple of weeks ago and twenty minutes before the show I looked around the theater and nearly every head was bent, looking at their phones. Looked like everyone in the place was praying...

ptlyon
01-02-2016, 02:30 PM

I was there a well. Loudest I've ever heard it, except maybe the run back of Hall also against fuck you San Diego at the reopening of Arrowhead.

rico
01-02-2016, 02:56 PM
I hate Elway. I just really, really...can't fathom the sight of his awful, whiney, self-entitled face.

I'd hate him even if he weren't a Donk.

If he were a Chief, he'd be my least favorite Chief of all time. I hate his stupid face.

Halfcan
01-02-2016, 02:58 PM
Which one of you was flipping off Denver at the 1:05 mark?

Everyone in the stadium!

Fuck the Cheating Donks-flipping Elway off right now.

Halfcan
01-02-2016, 03:00 PM
I hate Elway. I just really, really...can't fathom the sight of his awful, whiney, self-entitled face.

If he were a Chief, he'd be my least favorite Chief of all time. I hate his stupid face.

This!!

He has to be one of the Most hated players to ever come into Arrowhead. As soon as he trotted his horse face out of the tunnel-the whole place shook from the noise.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-02-2016, 03:04 PM

I wasn't there for that game, and I've heard the stories about Vanover's return against SD in '94, but the loudest I've ever heard was Dante's return in the No Punt Game.

Halfcan
01-02-2016, 03:05 PM

ROFL

Last week Vs. the Browns- 4th quarter winding down-game on the line-4th down....

and the people in front of us were doing selfies instead of cheering on the defense. :rolleyes:

Also KC Wolf used to come out and beat the crap out of a couple of guys dressed in the opposing players uniforms. Now he just rides around on a 4 wheeler. More politically correct I guess. :rolleyes:

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-02-2016, 03:11 PM
I actually think that novelty adds to crowd noise. One thing I've noticed is that fans of teams who have had long runs of bad luck are absolutely unhinged. In baseball, Pirates crowds were the loudest I've ever heard during their first playoff run a few years ago. I think that the long run of futility for the Chiefs also contributed to how loud the fans were at that time. The fact that the noise was bouncing off of a concrete surface like Astroturf also probably helped.

jspchief
01-02-2016, 03:17 PM
Moments like that are so much better than this fabricated guinness world record bullshit. Flashing decibels on a jumbotron will never beat the organic reaction of a frenzied crowd after a huge play in a big game.

Also, Arrowhead will never be the same. The wine and cheese level has priced itself out of the fanatic.

Donger
01-02-2016, 03:20 PM
You don't remember those?

I was at this game. Whenever the refs would do this "there will be a penalty if it is too loud" the crowd at Arrowhead just went nuts. Definitely louder than when we set the noise record.

I didn't start watching football until the late 90s.

stevieray
01-02-2016, 03:20 PM
Moments like that are so much better than this fabricated guinness world record bullshit. Flashing decibels on a jumbotron will never beat the organic reaction of a frenzied crowd after a huge play in a big game.

Also, Arrowhead will never be the same. The wine and cheese level has priced itself out of the fanatic.

Sadly, this is true... even after TD's.

Rain Man
01-02-2016, 03:21 PM

At the sports bar last week, some people were commenting on how the Chiefs stadium was clearing out in the fourth quarter. I had to explain that the camera was on the 2nd level where people buy tickets and then sit inside and watch on TV, so it's empty the whole game. I can't stand that phenomenon.

TimBone
01-02-2016, 03:27 PM

I'm on my phone. Someone please positive rep this post nine or ten times for me.

big nasty kcnut
01-02-2016, 03:33 PM
Elway such a pussy. He probably never fixed a car. His wife is only with him because he rich if he didn't have money his wife would never date a horse.

jspchief
01-02-2016, 03:33 PM
At the sports bar last week, some people were commenting on how the Chiefs stadium was clearing out in the fourth quarter. I had to explain that the camera was on the 2nd level where people buy tickets and then sit inside and watch on TV, so it's empty the whole game. I can't stand that phenomenon.
Those tickets are like $250+ per seat. To sit on couches inside and drink at a ridiculously overpriced bar.

big nasty kcnut
01-02-2016, 03:34 PM
I also flip off elway!

vailpass
01-02-2016, 03:38 PM
Elway such a pussy. He probably never fixed a car. His wife is only with him because he rich if he didn't have money his wife would never date a horse.

This one might be my favorite...

tk13
01-02-2016, 03:38 PM
I actually think that novelty adds to crowd noise. One thing I've noticed is that fans of teams who have had long runs of bad luck are absolutely unhinged. In baseball, Pirates crowds were the loudest I've ever heard during their first playoff run a few years ago. I think that the long run of futility for the Chiefs also contributed to how loud the fans were at that time. The fact that the noise was bouncing off of a concrete surface like Astroturf also probably helped.

I think that happened with the Royals too. The Alex Gordon triple in game 7 against the Giants, the Goins dropped fly against the Blue Jays, the Cespedes play that led to Escobar's inside the park HR. All plays where the fielders said afterwards they couldn't hear or communicate.

Rain Man
01-02-2016, 03:41 PM
Those tickets are like $250+ per seat. To sit on couches inside and drink at a ridiculously overpriced bar.

I honestly don't understand it at all. Who buys those tickets? What's so attractive about the inside part?

I went to a game in Cleveland with a friend of mine a few years back (Chiefs@Browns), and he had club-level tickets in Cleveland's stadium. It was the same deal. He and I sat in our seats and watched the game, and 80% of the people in our section never left the bar and restaurant.

rico
01-02-2016, 03:43 PM

Yeah, dude.

And when his wife kisses him and gets a bubblegum-like piece of Elway-gum froth stuck in her mouth, I wonder if she ever thinks to herself, "is this really worth it?!?!?"

01-02-2016, 03:47 PM
I honestly don't understand it at all. Who buys those tickets? What's so attractive about the inside part?

I went to a game in Cleveland with a friend of mine a few years back (Chiefs@Browns), and he had club-level tickets in Cleveland's stadium. It was the same deal. He and I sat in our seats and watched the game, and 80% of the people in our section never left the bar and restaurant.

thats the section where business deals are getting conducted. They are not there for the game.

Spott
01-02-2016, 03:58 PM

I'm certain she would do something with a horse.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-02-2016, 04:02 PM
I think that happened with the Royals too. The Alex Gordon triple in game 7 against the Giants, the Goins dropped fly against the Blue Jays, the Cespedes play that led to Escobar's inside the park HR. All plays where the fielders said afterwards they couldn't hear or communicate.

Good point.

I first noticed it with the Angels and the Rally Monkey. New fans don't really pay attention to breaks in the action and they don't have any scar tissue, so they cheer every good thing and in every tense action.

MotherfuckerJones
01-02-2016, 04:09 PM
Horse Faced Pussy

Chromatic
01-02-2016, 04:42 PM
Hey, that's my video. Awesome.

Is it making the rounds again?

REDHOTGTO
01-02-2016, 06:22 PM
That was an amazing game. The crowd was so loud after that return it was like someone was pounding against your chest.

Lots of broken chairs after that one.

One of my favorite games.
It was just like that, hurt your chest !
The only thing I heard louder was the 53yd field goal to beat Denver ,went from dead silence to 30 jets taking off and standing right behind them!

01-02-2016, 08:10 PM
The only thing I heard louder was the 53yd field goal to beat Denver ,went from dead silence to 30 jets taking off and standing right behind them!

Stoyanovich rocked that day.

Halfcan
01-02-2016, 09:04 PM

:clap:

Arrowhead will never come close to that again.

big nasty kcnut
01-02-2016, 09:05 PM
Stoyanovich rocked that day.Watched that game in Spokane Washington. Glad i had a buddy who could switch game so to see the chiefs on the big screen. That day was rocking with tons of chiefs fans.

ptlyon
01-02-2016, 09:13 PM
Watched that game in Spokane Washington. Glad i had a buddy who could switch game so to see the chiefs on the big screen. That day was rocking with tons of chiefs fans.

I was in Boulder for business. I walked out of the pizza place right afterward with two flip offs and a big "FUCK YOU DENVER"

stevieray
01-02-2016, 09:16 PM
I was in Boulder for business. I walked out of the pizza place right afterward with two flip offs and a big "**** YOU DENVER"

I was in Denver, at a friends house, Bronco fans present .

:rockon:

KsBubba
01-02-2016, 09:24 PM
I don't know if a crowd today could handle being that wound up.

ptlyon
01-02-2016, 09:27 PM

:rockon::holdman::toast:

rico
01-02-2016, 09:53 PM

Haha me too.

Bronco fans are awful.

And my best friends are Donk fans.

It's so weird.

REDHOTGTO
01-02-2016, 10:01 PM
Donk fans are the very worst ! 13 yrs of season tix, only got in 1 fight, Dumas donkey fan

lewdog
01-02-2016, 10:14 PM

That's the only game I've seen at Arrowhead.

rico
01-02-2016, 10:29 PM

Come on, dude. Go easy!!! It already sucks knowing we weren't there to begin with! It would have been AWESOME watching that game with you, bro!!!

Chromatic
01-02-2016, 10:33 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HR86Cd13eX0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hive
01-02-2016, 10:36 PM
I'd be pissed if someone was playing the clarinet next to me. The guy flipping off Elway was also cracking me up. Midwest.

Rain Man
01-02-2016, 11:06 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HR86Cd13eX0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rison was juking around with 4 seconds left and I was yelling through 20 years of time for him to just get out of bounds.

threebag
01-02-2016, 11:13 PM

Like how the cheating bastards try to trip Vanover on the return.

Hive
01-02-2016, 11:18 PM

I've been to two. I've seen Tyler Palko and Brady Quinn start a game. FML.

Rain Man
01-02-2016, 11:22 PM
Like how the cheating bastards try to trip Vanover on the return.

That was the most blatant tripping attempt I've ever seen. Was that the penalty they called, or was it for the late hit out of bounds?

threebag
01-02-2016, 11:31 PM
Think it was the late hit out of bounds.

gblowfish
01-02-2016, 11:46 PM
I was at the Loud Noises game. Fuck Elway.

threebag
01-02-2016, 11:56 PM
Fuck Elway.

This.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-03-2016, 12:16 AM
Fantasy football is another reason you won't ever see crowds like that again