PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs DJ Alexander AFC Special Teams Player of the Week

Frosty
01-06-2016, 11:52 AM
Go Beavers!

http://www.chiefs.com/news/article-2/DJ-Alexander-Named-AFC-Special-Teams-Player-of-the-Week/662ddcf3-57b3-46af-b060-c8ba98db6a09

Bowser
01-06-2016, 12:00 PM
:homer:

The Franchise
01-06-2016, 12:00 PM
Fucking nice.

Bowser
01-06-2016, 12:01 PM
And good for him. Wasn't he knocked out of the game earlier?

And let's give it up to the former Jayhawk that completely blew his assignment and let Alexander in free for the blocked punt up against his own goal line!

Frosty
01-06-2016, 12:09 PM
:homer:

Guilty as charged. My other guy, Steven Nelson, did a nice job running down the punt returner to prevent the TD. Saved 4 points.

Mr. Laz
01-06-2016, 12:11 PM
And good for him. Wasn't he knocked out of the game earlier?

And let's give it up to the former Jayhawk that completely blew his assignment and let Alexander in free for the blocked punt up against his own goal line!

yep, thought he was dead.

Mr. Laz
01-06-2016, 12:11 PM
Now we just need DJ Alexander to become the next DJ at linebacker

Frosty
01-06-2016, 12:12 PM

Yeah, it wasn't a completely amazing play by Alexander, thanks to not being blocked. He's been a really good ST player this year, though.

SAGA45
01-06-2016, 12:21 PM
I became a big fan of Alexander after watching some of his gamefilm shortly after he was selected. Has some fantastic instincts. In the backfield ALOT! Lots of potential with him! I love the depth the Chiefs at ILB with Alexander and Wilson.

Mr. Laz
01-06-2016, 12:28 PM
I became a big fan of Alexander after watching some of his gamefilm shortly after he was selected. Has some fantastic instincts. In the backfield ALOT! Lots of potential with him! I love the depth the Chiefs at ILB with Alexander and Wilson.

depth is great, Mauga at starter, not so much

SAGA45
01-06-2016, 12:37 PM
depth is great, Mauga at starter, not so much

Hey...I don't know...Mauga has had his moments...moreso than last year. However, I agree in that I'd much rather Ramik Wilson be starting instead. He's a more natural playmaker but Mauga has the clear edge in experience in Sutton's defense

Mr. Laz
01-06-2016, 12:45 PM
Hey...I don't know...Mauga has had his moments...moreso than last year. However, I agree in that I'd much rather Ramik Wilson be starting instead. He's a more natural playmaker but Mauga has the clear edge in experience in Sutton's defense

Mauga has been significantly better than i expected but not bad still doesn't equal good.

Mauga is not a thumper in the running game and he's too slow to be much help in the passing game.

JAG

bsp4444
01-06-2016, 01:02 PM
Can't wait to see March come back, too.

DJ's left nut
01-06-2016, 01:12 PM
Mauga has been significantly better than i expected but not bad still doesn't equal good.

Mauga is not a thumper in the running game and he's too slow to be much help in the passing game.

JAG

Watching him try to shadow Manziel was positively painful.

Many teams are doing far worse than Josh Mauga as the worst player on their D....but yeah, there's room for improvement there. For me, Alexander is the more likely guy to make that leap as I still don't care for Wilson's tendency to pick and poke around the scrums.

Fuck it - Jaylon Smith falls to us in the first because of the knee injury and proceeds to rape faces. I love me some Jaylon...

O.city
01-06-2016, 01:16 PM
Watching him try to shadow Manziel was positively painful.

Many teams are doing far worse than Josh Mauga as the worst player on their D....but yeah, there's room for improvement there. For me, Alexander is the more likely guy to make that leap as I still don't care for Wilson's tendency to pick and poke around the scrums.

**** it - Jaylon Smith falls to us in the first because of the knee injury and proceeds to rape faces. I love me some Jaylon...

Yeah, Mauga isn't great. He's been better this year and I think you could do alot worse, or better.

I would really like to be able to have 2 inside guys that can play in the subset nickel so we aren't open to being ran on, but with the dl we have right now it isn't an issue.

Frosty
01-06-2016, 01:29 PM
Has Wilson even played this season? I'm not sure I have even seen him on ST.

Warpaint69
01-06-2016, 01:35 PM
Has Wilson even played this season? I'm not sure I have even seen him on ST.

He started for Mauga when Mauga was hurt.

DJ's left nut
01-06-2016, 01:39 PM
Yeah, Mauga isn't great. He's been better this year and I think you could do alot worse, or better.

I would really like to be able to have 2 inside guys that can play in the subset nickel so we aren't open to being ran on, but with the dl we have right now it isn't an issue.

For all intents and purposes, we do have 2 inside guys that play the nickel.

Houston's role in the nickel is essentially to play ILB alongside DJ w/ Hali sliding down into the 4th DL. With Houston being so good at setting the edge, he plays like any premier ILB would in that role. A stronger ILB likely wouldn't impact our nickel sets much at all.

Frosty
01-06-2016, 01:41 PM
He started for Mauga when Mauga was hurt.

I was thinking Wilson was hurt during that time but I guess not. Looks like he has 20 tackles on the year.

Direckshun
01-06-2016, 01:42 PM
Should we move on from DJ this offseason, and I have no idea why we would, we'd still be pretty good at ILB.

Mauga
Wilson
March
Alexander

DJ's left nut
01-06-2016, 01:43 PM
Should we move on from DJ this offseason, and I have no idea why we would, we'd still be pretty good at ILB.

Mauga
Wilson
March
Alexander

That would be a truly horrific set of ILBs. There's not a legitimate Mike in that group.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-06-2016, 01:46 PM
What needs to be done is move Sorenson to maugas spot and move mauga to the bench.

DJ's left nut
01-06-2016, 01:49 PM
What needs to be done is move Sorenson to maugas spot and move mauga to the bench.

A 200 lb Ted backer is a worse idea than Johnny Manziel at quarterback.

Mr. Laz
01-06-2016, 01:56 PM

Sutton has already done it on passing downs

He pulls Mauga and puts sorenson and DJ inside

I'm not sure why since Sorenson is slow as fuck and takes terrible angles for tackling.

Sutton shares your love for Sorenson.

Another reason to question Sutton's sanity.

DJ's left nut
01-06-2016, 02:00 PM

I'm sure why since Sorenson is slow as fuck and takes terrible angles for tackling.

Look at his pro day numbers - Sorensen actually times equal or worse to Mauga in almost all quickness/speed drills. And it's not like they're distinguishable on the field either; Sorensen doesn't play any faster than he times.

So take Mauga, make him lighter and weaker and less athletic, and you have Sorensen.

What's next - move Berry to SLB?

Mr. Laz
01-06-2016, 02:04 PM
What's next - move Berry to SLB?ROFLROFL

Moving Berry on passing downs would be better than Sorenson

Berry has great running game instincts and closing speed.

You've seen Berry break up sweeps by under-cutting the Oline and still making the tackle? Outstanding.

btw i only said to do that while Houston was hurt, not permanently :harumph:

penbrook
01-06-2016, 02:11 PM

Mauga
Wilson
March
Alexander

I want you to raise your right hand now slap yourself with it

O.city
01-06-2016, 02:19 PM

I'm not sure why since Sorenson is slow as **** and takes terrible angles for tackling.

It's normally abdullah but with the injury, it's been sorenson.

O.city
01-06-2016, 02:21 PM
For all intents and purposes, we do have 2 inside guys that play the nickel.

Houston's role in the nickel is essentially to play ILB alongside DJ w/ Hali sliding down into the 4th DL. With Houston being so good at setting the edge, he plays like any premier ILB would in that role. A stronger ILB likely wouldn't impact our nickel sets much at all.

He needs to be rushing the passer in those situations more though.

You brought up Jaylon smith, that would be awesome in that we'd essentially be able to sit in base sets all the timr.

Mr. Laz
01-06-2016, 02:24 PM

ROFL

Mr. Laz
01-06-2016, 02:26 PM

Mauga
Wilson
March
Alexander
nah, we need to hang on to DJ like we did Hali.

He still has something left and we dont' have a replacement ready.

O.city
01-06-2016, 02:29 PM
Hopefully dj wants to stay, he's played so well this year I could see some team getting a little crazy with money

DJ's left nut
01-06-2016, 02:43 PM
He needs to be rushing the passer in those situations more though.

You brought up Jaylon smith, that would be awesome in that we'd essentially be able to sit in base sets all the timr.

Who comes off the field, is my question.

Sure, send Houston - who's coming off the field to make room for Jaylon Smith in the Nickel set?

Hali - Howard - Bailey - Poe

Houston - DJ

Peters - Berry - Parker - Abdullah - Smith

There's your 11 with our current personnel. Even if we lose Howard or Smith, it won't change anything there. And we're presuming DJ stays in your hypothetical.

The only thing I could see is if we were to draft Smith and move Houston into Hali's role, allowing Smith and DJ to play LB. I wouldn't be opposed to it, but you're now presuming that Hali has gone elsewhere, no?

RunKC
01-06-2016, 02:53 PM
Look at his pro day numbers - Sorensen actually times equal or worse to Mauga in almost all quickness/speed drills. And it's not like they're distinguishable on the field either; Sorensen doesn't play any faster than he times.

So take Mauga, make him lighter and weaker and less athletic, and you have Sorensen.

What's next - move Berry to SLB?

When Branch lined up at OLB and got the sack on Carr Laz immediately came to mind.

It was both glorious and hilarious.

O.city
01-06-2016, 03:30 PM
Who comes off the field, is my question.

Sure, send Houston - who's coming off the field to make room for Jaylon Smith in the Nickel set?

Hali - Howard - Bailey - Poe

Houston - DJ

Peters - Berry - Parker - Abdullah - Smith

There's your 11 with our current personnel. Even if we lose Howard or Smith, it won't change anything there. And we're presuming DJ stays in your hypothetical.

The only thing I could see is if we were to draft Smith and move Houston into Hali's role, allowing Smith and DJ to play LB. I wouldn't be opposed to it, but you're now presuming that Hali has gone elsewhere, no?

In the nickel set, they bring the safety down into the box, taking a mlb off.

I dint remember houston playing next to dj, I'll have to check that out.

I don't like having to bring sorenson or abdullah down in the box, but our freaky dl let's it happen.

I'd like to have another big bad ilb in there

ThaVirus
01-06-2016, 03:36 PM

This is funny. Well done, penbrook.

ThaVirus
01-06-2016, 03:37 PM
Isn't Alexander like 230? He's a bit on the small side.

Mr. Laz
01-06-2016, 03:43 PM

Derrick Johnson was 242 when he was drafted.

Not that small

Frosty
01-06-2016, 03:50 PM
He looks bigger than Zombo here:

http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/BR2EIIqw4QWPBJn7WiUllA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3NfbGVnbztmaT1maWxsO2g9Mzc3O3B4b2ZmPTUwO3B5b2ZmPTA7cT03NTt3PTY3MA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/Sports/ap/201601031727628420212

I imagine he can adds some weight pretty easily. Oregon State players usually seem to be able to. I think we had a pretty bad strength guy under Riley.

Frosty
01-06-2016, 03:54 PM
Just because:

http://www.chiefsdigest.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/spt041631chiefs06-300x227.jpg

DJ got up there to block that.

ThaVirus
01-06-2016, 04:02 PM
Derrick Johnson was 242 when he was drafted.

Not that small

A difference of 10 pounds is pretty significant, I feel.

I'm not insanely worried about it or anything, but we're already looking to be a little light with Ford out there in 3-4 years with no obvious replacement for DJ.

Just something to think about.

RunKC
01-06-2016, 04:02 PM

Well Bobby Wagner is an inch taller and only 2 lbs heavier when he came out of Utah State.

He's got nice 4.5 range speed and plays physical. Seems like he just needs to get a year in the weight room.

ThaVirus
01-06-2016, 04:09 PM
Well Bobby Wagner is an inch taller and only 2 lbs heavier when he came out of Utah State.

He's got nice 4.5 range speed and plays physical. Seems like he just needs to get a year in the weight room.

I think Belcher was only 230-something as well.

Not that he was great or anything, but he wasn't afraid to get in there and knock some shit.

O.city
01-06-2016, 04:59 PM
I think Belcher was only 230-something as well.

Not that he was great or anything, but he wasn't afraid to get in there and knock some shit.

I just don't care as much anymore about the "thumper" ilb. Athletes that can run

DJ's left nut
01-06-2016, 05:03 PM
I just don't care as much anymore about the "thumper" ilb. Athletes that can run

Yeah, that's easy to say.

Then you watch them play the Browns and see Zombo and Ford be completely incapable of setting the edge. You see Mauga get absolutely washed out of any inside plays.

There's still a need for size/strength in this league and frankly I think the worms started to turn back towards it a little bit.

They still need muscle in their LB corps.

ThaVirus
01-06-2016, 05:06 PM
There's still a need for size/strength in this league and frankly I think the worms started to turn back towards it a little bit.

The league evolves. No doubt about it.

O.city
01-06-2016, 05:06 PM
Yeah, that's easy to say.

Then you watch them play the Browns and see Zombo and Ford be completely incapable of setting the edge. You see Mauga get absolutely washed out of any inside plays.

They still need muscle in their LB corps.

That's easy though, they aren't athletes that can run. Ford is, zombo and Mauga are average players.

I'm looking for the bowmans and wagners of the world if we're talking about spending high picks on them. Kuechly imo, is the ideal mlb.

ThaVirus
01-06-2016, 05:11 PM
Bowman, Keuchly, Wagner, David are rare because they can run with any TE or RB in the league and can also wade through the shit to blow up runs to the interior. You can't pass on them but you also can't run right at them.

I can't think of a single successful purely coverage linebacker in the league off the top of my head.

O.city
01-06-2016, 05:17 PM
Bowman, Keuchly, Wagner, David are rare because they can run with any TE or RB in the league and can also wade through the shit to blow up runs to the interior. You can't pass on them but you also can't run right at them.

I can't think of a single successful purely coverage linebacker in the league off the top of my head.

It was so awesome to watch bowman and willis in San fran together with the cowboy in front of them. They were fucking monsters.

DJ's left nut
01-06-2016, 05:23 PM
That's easy though, they aren't athletes that can run. Ford is, zombo and Mauga are average players.

I'm looking for the bowmans and wagners of the world if we're talking about spending high picks on them. Kuechly imo, is the ideal mlb.

Mauga's a 240 lb man that ran a 4.6 - he's absolutely an athlete that can run.

O.city
01-06-2016, 05:27 PM

He can run fast, doesn't make him a strong functional athlete, but thats a whole different argument and set of circumstance.

And I don't think he plays near that fast either.

BossChief
01-06-2016, 05:37 PM
Hopefully dj wants to stay, he's played so well this year I could see some team getting a little crazy with money

He's not going anywhere. If he wants to play, he will be a Chief.

BossChief
01-06-2016, 05:38 PM

Not after he gets an interception...

ThaVirus
01-06-2016, 05:43 PM
It was so awesome to watch bowman and willis in San fran together with the cowboy in front of them. They were fucking monsters.

They were stacked.

Justin Smith, Bowman, Willis, and Aldon Smith were all legitimately elite. I think they only allowed 14 PPG one season. I want to say 2011.

Mr. Laz
01-06-2016, 07:27 PM

On the field it looks more like a 5.1

I think Poe passed him while they were chasing Jonny Foosball.