PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs MNchiefsfan: Spencer Ware is more than just a power back for the Kansas City Chiefs

DaFace
01-08-2016, 12:33 PM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2016/1/8/10727274/spencer-ware-more-power-running-back-kansas-city-chiefs

Spencer Ware is more than just a power back for the Kansas City Chiefs
By MNchiefsfan @RealMNchiefsfan on Jan 8, 2016, 10:50a

Look, I get it, Spencer Ware is a monster.

At 5'10, 228 pounds, the man is built like a powder keg. Seriously, look at his Twitter profile picture.

http://i.imgur.com/FM32wy3.png

If you were to wander onto that page knowing he's a football player, you'd absolutely guess linebacker or fullback.

And unlike some bigger backs, Ware's size translates on the field. There are plenty of backs who look as though they should move the pile, but lack... something. Whether it's lower body strength, the ability to get low, or just the right kind of attitude, I've seen plenty of "big" backs that don't show the ability to gain yards after contact.

Then there's Ware. He does not have that problem.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ware&#39;s most special trait, though, is obviously his power. Just forces his way to yards other RB&#39;s can&#39;t get. <a href="https://t.co/x3fhxS5w92">pic.twitter.com/x3fhxS5w92</a></p>&mdash; Seth Keysor (@RealMNchiefsfan) <a href="https://twitter.com/RealMNchiefsfan/status/684605757648551937">January 6, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mercy.

(There's lots more at the link, but it's a giant pain to post all the images, and they deserve the clicks.)

ChiefAshhole1056
01-08-2016, 12:36 PM
Solid article. Hope he gets more carries than West going forward with West being more of the receiving back.

Mr. Laz
01-08-2016, 12:40 PM
I want more carries early for Ware.

Instead of just using Ware when the defense is tired, i want to use him to tire out the defense.

O.city
01-08-2016, 12:41 PM
He's got really good balance

DaFace
01-08-2016, 12:42 PM
I want more carries early for Ware.

Instead of just using Ware when the defense is tired, i want to use him to tire out the defense.

I personally like the balance we have. Both guys get their shots in both halves of the game, but West makes them miss chasing him down in the 1st, and Ware beats the shit out of them in the 2nd. I wouldn't mind Ware getting more carries in the first, but then he might be more tired in the 2nd and wouldn't be as effective.

Regardless, it's a good problem to have.

ChiefGator
01-08-2016, 12:43 PM
West is pretty good too really. Great job building depth at that position and coaching them up.

Rain Man
01-08-2016, 12:45 PM
How on earth did Seattle not notice his ability?

Mr. Laz
01-08-2016, 12:45 PM
I personally like the balance we have. Both guys get their shots in both halves of the game, but West makes them miss chasing him down in the 1st, and Ware beats the shit out of them in the 2nd. I wouldn't mind Ware getting more carries in the first, but then he might be more tired in the 2nd and wouldn't be as effective.

Regardless, it's a good problem to have.

ware wears defense out in 1st letting West hit the homeruns in the 2nd

just sayin :D

ChiefAshhole1056
01-08-2016, 12:47 PM

They've had a surplus of talent at that position for a while. They always liked Turbin and Micheal a lot, so I guess they figured they could afford to let him leave.

Mistake.

Prison Bitch
01-08-2016, 12:58 PM
Seattle also gave us Jaye Howard. Two studs. Their surplus talent is better than most teams' starting talent

The Franchise
01-08-2016, 01:02 PM
Seattle also gave us Jaye Howard. Two studs. Their surplus talent is better than most teams' starting talent

Ron Parker as well.

RobBlake
01-08-2016, 01:06 PM
should the chiefs move on from JC?

The Franchise
01-08-2016, 01:08 PM

Short answer? No.

Long answer? You're a fucking moron.

Eleazar
01-08-2016, 01:33 PM

Move on, as in trading or releasing him? No.

Begin to plan for life after Charles, who probably has 1 or 2 truly productive years left, absolutely.

penbrook
01-08-2016, 01:34 PM

Same thing about Parker

penbrook
01-08-2016, 01:35 PM
Short answer? No.

Long answer? You're a ****ing moron.

Reid already said no one can replace JC he is a special player. So in other words fuck off Charles is staying here for life!

RobBlake
01-08-2016, 01:38 PM
Short answer? No.

Long answer? You're a ****ing moron.

Who is the moron for not getting assets for a player who is injury prone? was a bust in the playoffs? Who's fumble prob cost you home field advantage

Mr. Laz
01-08-2016, 01:40 PM
Short answer? No.

Long answer? You're a fucking moron.

ROFLROFL

Mr. Laz
01-08-2016, 01:42 PM

we already paid JC.

If we were going to move on we should have made that decision before we gave him the restructure to increase his pay last year.

DJ's left nut
01-08-2016, 01:43 PM
That article might as well have been titled "What Spencer Ware does better than Knile Davis..."

Because physically, not much separates the two of them. Then you watch those plays and you see that Ware picks up nearly 30 yards on 3 carries that would've yielded 6-8 for Davis simply because he sees the holes so much better.

That really is a nice article. I also fell into the 'Ware is a power back' trap but he opened some eyes over the last few weeks and those clips do a lot to show how.

Mr. Laz
01-08-2016, 01:46 PM
That article might as well have been titled "What Spencer Ware does better than Knile Davis..."

Because physically, not much separates the two of them. Then you watch those plays and you see that Ware picks up nearly 30 yards on 3 carries that would've yielded 6-8 for Davis simply because he sees the holes so much better.

That really is a nice article. I also fell into the 'Ware is a power back' trap but he opened some eyes over the last few weeks and those clips do a lot to show how.
Ware has heart and Davis doesn't

DJ's left nut
01-08-2016, 01:49 PM
Ware has heart and Davis doesn't

Ware has vision and Davis doesn't.

I've never seen a reason to question Davis's motor. He doesn't dodge contact, he simply doesn't run with the right leverage to power through it. He's not a guy that pusses out on returns, he simply can't find lanes.

I don't understand why folks go after Davis's character - he's been a good soldier. He's just not particularly talented.

jonzie04
01-08-2016, 01:52 PM
I dont understand why everyone here hates arrowheadpride. They have some good stuff over there.

DaFace
01-08-2016, 01:53 PM

I've never seen a reason to question Davis's motor. He doesn't dodge contact, he simply doesn't run with the right leverage to power through it. He's not a guy that pusses out on returns, he simply can't find lanes.

I don't understand why folks go after Davis's character - he's been a good soldier. He's just not particularly talented.

Yeah, it's definitely a matter of vision. If you look at the third gif in the link, Davis would have plowed straight ahead and dropped for a 2-3 yard gain, where Ware saw the hole, hopped to the side, and turned it into a 10-15 yarder.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-08-2016, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE=Cochise;12007014]Move on, as in trading or releasing him? No.

Begin to plan for life after Charles, who probably has 1 or 2 truly productive years left, absolutely.[/QUO

If he only has 1 or 2 productive years left then the smart thing to do would be to trade him while he's got some value. I LOVE Charles and he's a HOF back but we are a more balanced team without him. Ware and West have had more production.

DJ's left nut
01-08-2016, 01:59 PM
Yeah, it's definitely a matter of vision. If you look at the second gif in the link, Davis would have plowed straight ahead and dropped for a 2-3 yard gain, where Ware saw the hole, hopped to the side, and turned it into a 10-15 yarder.

The 2nd and 3rd clips really showed it, yeah.

In the 2nd clip, Davis probably just gets back to the LOS. #50 had absolutely blown that play up and Davis would've just put his head down, hit him a yard behind the line and tried to power him forward. That head fake cut by Ware to commit the defense before bouncing outside is damn impressive.

The jump cut in the 3rd clip is straight out of Madden. Davis gets his 2-3 yards by just running between Fisher/Allen and calling it a day. Ware's ability to move a yard to his right without coming forward at all and doing so quickly enough to immediately create a hole is just amazing. The eyes to spot it impresses the hell out of me but the athleticism to execute that move is perhaps even more incredible.

Really, those videos show some physical skills I just didn't see in him. That takes his ceiling up a peg, IMO.

DJ's left nut
01-08-2016, 02:01 PM
If he only has 1 or 2 productive years left then the smart thing to do would be to trade him while he's got some value. I LOVE Charles and he's a HOF back but we are a more balanced team without him. Ware and West have had more production.

This is a potential SB team for the next 3 seasons - worry about the future in the future and do everything in your power to keep the best team on the field right now.

Trading Charles would be nuts. We're in an up spot on the competitive cycle right now - you don't dump premium talent at that point if there's any way to avoid it.

DaFace
01-08-2016, 02:01 PM
The 2nd and 3rd clips really showed it, yeah.

In the 2nd clip, Davis probably just gets back to the LOS. #50 had absolutely blown that play up and Davis would've just put his head down, hit him a yard behind the line and tried to power him forward. That head fake cut by Ware to commit the defense before bouncing outside is damn impressive.

The jump cut in the 3rd clip is straight out of Madden. Davis gets his 2-3 years by just running between Fisher/Allen and calling it a day. Ware's ability to move a yard to his right without coming forward at all and doing so quickly enough to immediately create a hole is just amazing. The eyes to spot it impresses the hell out of me but the athleticism to execute that move is perhaps even more incredible.

Really, those videos show some physical skills I just didn't see in him. That takes his ceiling up a peg, IMO.

Yep, the 3rd one was the one I was referring to (picked the wrong one in my post). The combination of being able to find those holes and punish the guys who have to come up from the secondary is incredible.

Mr. Laz
01-08-2016, 02:05 PM

apparently you haven't noticed Davis slowing down to avoid taking big hits

Heart vs Vision :shrug: probably lacks both, but when players lack heart it effects their vision because they stop looking and start trying to avoid.

Simply Red
01-08-2016, 02:07 PM
His vision is fantastic.

DaFace
01-08-2016, 02:08 PM
This is a potential SB team for the next 3 seasons - worry about the future in the future and do everything in your power to keep the best team on the field right now.

Trading Charles would be nuts. We're in an up spot on the competitive cycle right now - you don't dump premium talent at that point if there's any way to avoid it.

I also think that trading him (at least without having him involved in the decision) would be a blow to the camaraderie in the locker room. The team is setting a trend of rewarding guys who work hard and are productive, and dumping Charles because we can technically get better value with the other guys would send the wrong signal IMO.

I think we're finally getting to the point that guys aren't demanding a premium to stay here (and in some cases, are even giving us a discount). You don't get player buy-in like that by shitting on productive guys who have been here their whole careers.

The Franchise
01-08-2016, 02:10 PM
Who is the moron for not getting assets for a player who is injury prone? was a bust in the playoffs? Who's fumble prob cost you home field advantage

Talk to me when you're an actual Chiefs fan.

mcaj22
01-08-2016, 02:34 PM
I don't watch much college football but LSU had Jeremy Hill, Spencer Ware, Alfred Blue, Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham all on the same team, even for one brief season... how in the world did they not win everything.

The Franchise
01-08-2016, 02:39 PM
I don't watch much college football but LSU had Jeremy Hill, Spencer Ware, Alfred Blue, Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham all on the same team, even for one brief season... how in the world did they not win everything.

http://coacheshotseat.com/chsblog/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/LesMiles811818.jpg

Pitt Gorilla
01-08-2016, 02:40 PM
I don't watch much college football but LSU had Jeremy Hill, Spencer Ware, Alfred Blue, Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham all on the same team, even for one brief season... how in the world did they not win everything.Honestly? Because LSU. They always have a TON of talent, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Sandy Vagina
01-08-2016, 03:42 PM
I dont understand why everyone here hates arrowheadpride. They have some good stuff over there.

a few bad apples, but otherwise, an excellent KC site. I just wish the post format was different. It's annoying to read through new/old posts when the threads get very long.

I like the mix of West and Ware just fine. We're really going to need the OL and them to force Houston's defense into a balance of keying on the run as well as pass.

jspchief
01-08-2016, 03:59 PM
Who is the moron...
You. You are the moron.

jspchief
01-08-2016, 04:02 PM
Les Miles is an offensive moron.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-08-2016, 04:06 PM
West getting ready to come up on NFL network

RINGLEADER
01-08-2016, 04:43 PM
I think Ware is the better runner over West. Dude just destroys other teams.

Skyy God
01-08-2016, 04:50 PM
I think Ware is the better runner over West. Dude just destroys other teams.

Maybe, but neither has been 100% durable this year.

The timeshare is working just fine.

RunKC
01-08-2016, 04:51 PM
West is nice to use first hand bc players are fired up in the first series or two. West is very good at maneuvering his body to avoid tackles and picking up extra yards. He's not as good as Jamaal at doing that, but he's given us that ability.

I love that we mix up the thunder at lightning with these two backs. It wears out defenses and forces them to focus on the run up the middle, which Reid then turns into misdirection.

wazu
01-08-2016, 04:52 PM

Who here hates AHP? They are a must-follow on Twitter. A bit true-fannish, but not nauseatingly so.

DaFace
01-08-2016, 04:55 PM
Who here hates AHP? They are a must-follow on Twitter. A bit true-fannish, but not nauseatingly so.

I think there used to be some level of disdain when it first came around because it seemed kind of close to WPI - a site for fans who know little about the game to spout bullshit.

It's definitely more than that these days though. It still has the fan angle and a touch of homerism, but it's about the most informative site out there in terms of just keeping up with team news, not to mention a few solid contributors like MNchiefsfan. His breakdowns are like gif'd up on steroids.