PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports YOU CAN'T DO THAT at Wisc HS events

displacedinMN
01-13-2016, 10:12 PM
I put long articles in Spoiler to make the OP short.

http://www.startribune.com/wisconsin-s-ban-on-common-game-chants-draws-boos/365228681/
The Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association sent an email to athletic directors last month with a list of cheers that have been deemed contrary to good sportsmanship. The list, published by the Appleton Post-Crescent, went viral Wednesday after a three-sport athlete was suspended for five games for tweeting her criticism of them. The three-word tweet included a profanity.

“Fundamentals”
“Sieve”
“We can’t hear you”
"Air ball”
"You can’t do that”
“There’s a net there”
"Season’s over”

Here are three paragraphs from the email, which was obtained by the Post-Crescent and published on its web site.

As we reviewed the fall tournaments and the sportsmanship evaluations and observations, we want to address concerns with a noticeable increase in the amount of chants by student sections directed at opponents and/or opponents’ supporters that are clearly intended to taunt or disrespect.

Not wanting to restrict creativity or enjoyment, an enthusiastic and boisterous display of support for a school’s team is welcomed and encouraged at interscholastic events when directed in a positive manner. However, any action directed at opposing teams or their spectators with the intent to taunt, disrespect, distract or entice an unsporting behavior in response in not acceptable sportsmanship. Student groups, school administrators and event managers should take immediate steps to correct this unsporting behavior.

Some specific examples of unsporting behavior by student groups including chants directed at opposing participants and/or fans. Among the chants that have been heard at recent high school sporting events are: “You can’t do that,” “Fundamentals,” “Air ball,” “There’s a net there,” “Sieve,” “We can’t hear you,” The “scoreboard” cheer, and “Season’s over” during tournament series play.

Last week, April Gehl of Hilbert High School responded to the email with her critical tweet. On Wednesday, she was told she would be suspended for her basketball team's next five games.

She told Ricardo Arguello of the Appleton newspaper: “I couldn’t believe it. I was like, ‘Really? For tweeting my opinion?’ I thought it was ridiculous.”

So does Kenny Ducey, writing on the Sports Illustrated web site: Gehl is a true hero for bringing these rules to light. In what state is a 16-year-old kid yelling “Airrrrr-ballllll” considered something that’s so disrespectful it needs to be banned? How is reminding the other team that you need to improve your fundamentals a bad thing? Who even chants “There’s a net there” anyway?

ESPN basketball analyst Jay Bilas was among those who thought the Wisconsin rules are a bit goofy.

It was the beginning of a Twitter rant that included this, among about a dozen other tweets.

The Forbes magazine website wrote about the situation with this headline: Teen Athlete Tweets: Wisconsin Incident Highlights Need For Adults To Stop Overreacting.

And Troy Machir of the Sporting News weighed in with this:

The WIAA has gone to extreme measures to make sure the athletic arenas and fields are as clean and positive as possible, yet the clearly forgot to ban the "overrated" chant, one of the most obnoxious and misused chants in all of sports.

Here's one for you, WIAA:

"Do better."

Back to Appleton. Gehl told the local newspaper she hasn't taken down the tweet because she's already been punished for it. And her mother, Jill Gehl, said the family isn't planning on appealing the suspension: “Sure, what she said wasn’t the right words and wasn’t the best thing to do. I wasn’t real upset with her because there have been a lot more worse things said on Facebook and Twitter to specific people. This to me was more of a general response to an organization per se, not an individual. So, sure, I’m upset with it. But we just have to deal with the consequences.”

http://www.startribune.com/wisconsin-s-ban-on-common-game-chants-draws-boos/365228681/
BANNED

Unsporting!

Among the list of 29 unsportsmanlike cheers, chants and actions listed in the Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association’s reference guide:

• Booing of any kind.

• “Over-rated!” chant.

• “Air ball!” chant.

• “You can’t do that!” “Funn-da-mentals!” “We can’t hear you!” “Warm up the bus!” chants.

• “Sieve, sieve, sieve!” chant.

• “Nah nah nah nah … hey hey hey, goodbye!” song.

• “Push it, push it, push it!” chant.

• Turning backs to a court or field during opponent introductions.

• Waving arms or making movements or sudden noises in an attempt to distract an opponent.

GloucesterChief
01-13-2016, 10:13 PM
Wisconsin is very disappointing.

01-13-2016, 10:15 PM
so you can't badger the opposing team in Wisconsin?

Jewish Rabbi
01-13-2016, 10:19 PM
Fuck we did that shit anyway when I was in high school. We read newspapers during our rivals basketball introductions... The local newspaper actually turned it into an ad ha. People were pissed.

They can't suspend the entire student section.

TinyEvel
01-13-2016, 10:26 PM
Looking forward to the Broncos reference guide to banned cheers that use the "Nationwide is on your side" tune.

Banned Cheers:

Peyton Manning chokes again

Should have retired earlier

Manning-Ception feels so good

Brock Osweiller took my job

How can we deflate our balls

Denver Donkeys go hee-haw

Coach
01-13-2016, 10:28 PM
Pussification of America continues....

Jewish Rabbi
01-13-2016, 10:29 PM
Looking forward to the Broncos reference guide to banned cheers that use the "Nationwide is on your side" tune.

Banned Cheers:

Should have retired earlier

This one has too many syllables.

TinyEvel
01-13-2016, 10:36 PM
This one has too many syllables.

Well I pronounce it RE-tir'd

Jewish Rabbi
01-13-2016, 10:40 PM
Well I pronounce it RE-tir'd

Retard? lol

TinyEvel
01-13-2016, 10:48 PM
Retard? lol

No. RE-turd

Toby Waller
01-13-2016, 10:55 PM
Can't you just merge this with the cheese thread?

stumppy
01-13-2016, 11:05 PM

You can't say that either.

Dayze
01-14-2016, 06:57 AM
wouldn't want the little HS athletes to get their feelings hurt.

luckily, in the real world, they'll never encounter hurtful words or face any challenges.

WhawhaWhat
01-14-2016, 06:58 AM
I guess I'm not going to any high school basketball games in Wisconsin then.

Fire Me Boy!
01-14-2016, 07:01 AM
The least you could do for the journalist/website is include the link.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-14-2016, 07:16 AM
There was a boys basketball game in Mercer Island, WA a few years back where the local high school team was playing Renton. Renton is comprised of a lot of minorities. When I was in school I played basketball and one time when I knocked a ball out of bounds the ref actually screamed "Black ball! I mean RED! RED BALL!" Mercer Island costs A LOT of money to live on. Bill Gates home is in Medina, on the island.

So naturally Renton is just piss pounding the Mercer Island boys team when a chant starts coming in from the crowd. "That's alright, that's okay, you're gonna work us one day! THAT'S ALRIGHT, THAT'S OKAY, YOU'RE GONNA WORK FOR US ONE DAY!!!"

It was wrong, but I laughed my ass.

Mav
01-14-2016, 08:18 AM

When I moved to Wisconsin, it was Christmas break my senior year. If you interstate transfer you have to be cleared by the WIAA to participate in athletics. They cost me the entire basketball season because they denied me being able to play and I had to appeal which didn't happen until after we had lost in the playoffs. Which I'm not saying it mattered for the team, I was like the 10th best player On the team, it's just that their process is stupid.

Mile High Mania
01-14-2016, 08:22 AM
There was a boys basketball game in Mercer Island, WA a few years back where the local high school team was playing Renton. Renton is comprised of a lot of minorities. When I was in school I played basketball and one time when I knocked a ball out of bounds the ref actually screamed "Black ball! I mean RED! RED BALL!" Mercer Island costs A LOT of money to live on. Bill Gates home is in Medina, on the island.

So naturally Renton is just piss pounding the Mercer Island boys team when a chant starts coming in from the crowd. "That's alright, that's okay, you're gonna work us one day! THAT'S ALRIGHT, THAT'S OKAY, YOU'RE GONNA WORK FOR US ONE DAY!!!"

It was wrong, but I laughed my ass.

I've heard that at many colleges... some there likely ran with it as a racist thing, but I've heard that at fraternity intramural games... it's just taunting and having fun.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-14-2016, 08:32 AM
I've heard that at many colleges... some there likely ran with it as a racist thing, but I've heard that at fraternity intramural games... it's just taunting and having fun.

WELL, I honestly hadn't considered the racist notion. I'm sure you're right, but that's all I thought it was. A bunch of spoiled rich kids talking shit to some normal to poor kids.

Perineum Ripper
01-14-2016, 08:36 AM
I sure hope they hand out juice boxes and participation trophies at the end of the game..maybe everyone will get a gold star sticker for being super duper

Pussy ass people

Chiefshrink
01-14-2016, 08:37 AM
Pussification of America continues....

Yep!:rolleyes::shake:

Discuss Thrower
01-14-2016, 08:51 AM
Funniest student section chant I anecdotally heard of was like over 10 years ago during the Kentucky HS finals at Rupp Arena (my aunt and uncle would attend sometimes even though their kids were way out of HS by that point).

Anyway, Lexington Catholic was playing a public school and at some point n the game their students all knelt down and started mumbling prayers before one kid announced 'amen'. They crossed themselves, stood up and started yelling "GOD'S ON OUR SIDE! GOD'S ON OUR SIDE! GOD'S ON OUR SIDE!"

Nzoner
01-14-2016, 08:59 AM
Wisconsin next documentary Making More Murderers

Sully
01-14-2016, 09:06 AM
I'd be amazed if this wasn't really already the rule, it's just being specified and enforced, now.

My assumption, as most state rules are pretty much the same, is that either by rule or encouragement students cheers and chants were supposed to be in support of their own team, and not directed at the other team. I believe that's the MSHSAA rule. These chants still happen, but because they are pretty tame the rule isn't strictly enforced. I announce our school's girls basketball games, and the actual rules for what I can and cannot say are ridiculous, and no one enforces them (ex: I am not to announce how many points a basket is worth).
I don't know what precipitated this new Wisconsin specification, and no, I doubt any of those chants are going to turn a player into mush on the court, but I'm betting they are being singled out as specifically against the rule against chants directed at the opposition as an easily identifiable cutoff point, instead of a subjective "Don't be so mean" rule which could be different from ref to ref and gym to gym.

Sully
01-14-2016, 09:08 AM
Funniest student section chant I anecdotally heard of was like over 10 years ago during the Kentucky HS finals at Rupp Arena (my aunt and uncle would attend sometimes even though their kids were way out of HS by that point).

Anyway, Lexington Catholic was playing a public school and at some point n the game their students all knelt down and started mumbling prayers before one kid announced 'amen'. They crossed themselves, stood up and started yelling "GOD'S ON OUR SIDE! GOD'S ON OUR SIDE! GOD'S ON OUR SIDE!"

This year, we played Rockhurst. A sign in our student section made me lose it pre-game...

"God Love Us For Free"

Discuss Thrower
01-14-2016, 09:08 AM
I announce our school's girls basketball games, and the actual rules for what I can and cannot say are ridiculous, and no one enforces them (ex: I am not to announce how many points a basket is worth).

Really? That never stopped me.

Sully
01-14-2016, 09:44 AM
Really? That never stopped me.

Doesn't stop me, either. It doesn't stop the vast majority of announcers that I've heard, nor do many of the rules. I have heard that our football announcer was told to tone it down, and a school very close to here has had to tone down their in-game theatrics substantially.
My point was just that this Wisconsin thibg was probably already a rule, and is now just going to be specifically enforced.

Discuss Thrower
01-14-2016, 09:47 AM
Doesn't stop me, either. It doesn't stop the vast majority of announcers that I've heard, nor do many of the rules. I have heard that our football announcer was told to tone it down, and a school very close to here has had to tone down their in-game theatrics substantially.
My point was just that this Wisconsin thibg was probably already a rule, and is now just going to be specifically enforced.

Thankfully, I never did more than one varsity football game. That's where some announcers go over the top to the point it's embarrassing.

Basketball was more of my thing. Wish I could still do it but graduate school and having no connections up here hamper that.

Sully
01-14-2016, 09:58 AM
I started doing the girl's basketball games last year, just to make myself more valuable, ettc. But I enjoy the heck out of it. Sitting on bleachers all day for tournaments sucks, but otherwise it's a ton of fun, and I do my best to show excitement even when there are 12 people in attendance.
I coach football, so I can't really announce those games, but I assume that'd be fun, but different.

wazu
01-14-2016, 10:02 AM
Irony is this letter helped me add a few taunts to my repertoire.

displacedinMN
01-14-2016, 10:10 AM
The least you could do for the journalist/website is include the link.

it was late, I was tired
Fixed

Bowser
01-14-2016, 11:18 AM
When the daughter played high school volleyball, I would line judge. The football team would come in and get rowdy in support of the girls, regularly dropping the YOU CAN'T DO THAT and YOU LET THE WHOLE TEAM DOWN chants fly several times a game.

There was a point in the match where our team had a wicked hit and the ball was close to the line, but I blew the call against us. The whole football team starts giving me the YOU LET THE WHOLE TEAM DOWN chant. My question is where the hell was this outrage back then when I could have used it, haha.

BlackHelicopters
01-14-2016, 11:22 AM
Fucktard state.

Bowser
01-14-2016, 11:26 AM
And yes, this is absolute ridiculousness. It's almost like we're terrified of just the mere possibility of somebody getting their sensibilities stepped on these days.

siberian khatru
01-14-2016, 11:32 AM
Jay Bilas had fun with this on Twitter the other day:

http://usatodayhss.com/2016/jay-bilas-royally-trolls-the-wisconsins-decision-to-ban-chants-at-high-school-games

ChiTown
01-14-2016, 11:35 AM
Jay Bilas had fun with this on Twitter the other day:

http://usatodayhss.com/2016/jay-bilas-royally-trolls-the-wisconsins-decision-to-ban-chants-at-high-school-games

I didn't read, but in general, I think Jay Bilas is a twat.

Thanks for letting me vent:D

The Franchise
01-14-2016, 11:51 AM
When the daughter played high school volleyball, I would line judge. The football team would come in and get rowdy in support of the girls, regularly dropping the YOU CAN'T DO THAT and YOU LET THE WHOLE TEAM DOWN chants fly several times a game.

There was a point in the match where our team had a wicked hit and the ball was close to the line, but I blew the call against us. The whole football team starts giving me the YOU LET THE WHOLE TEAM DOWN chant. My question is where the hell was this outrage back then when I could have used it, haha.

We all know why you were line judging at a high school girl's volleyball game. :thumb:

stevieray
01-14-2016, 11:55 AM
And yes, this is absolute ridiculousness. It's almost like we're terrified of just the mere possibility of somebody getting their sensibilities stepped on these days.
Fatherless generations being raised by women.

All emotion, all the time.

Discuss Thrower
01-14-2016, 11:56 AM
We all know why you were line judging at a high school girl's volleyball game. :thumb:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MJEAGd1bQuc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bowser
01-14-2016, 11:56 AM

Because the rest of the parents were too big of a candyass to take on the responsibility.

:D

Bowser
01-14-2016, 12:01 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MJEAGd1bQuc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ROFL

The Franchise
01-14-2016, 12:04 PM

Holy shit that was hilarious.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-14-2016, 12:18 PM

ROFL Holy fucking shit...

Hydrae
01-14-2016, 12:31 PM
so you can't badger the opposing team in Wisconsin?

I see what you did there. :)