PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gronk received injection in knee today

ct
01-14-2016, 04:21 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25449467/report-gronkowski-receives-knee-injection-at-hospital-on-thursday

After missing practice Tuesday and getting in a limited practice on Wednesday, New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski spent part of the day on Thursday at a local Boston hospital getting treatment on his right knee. According to a report from ESPN.com, he received an injection in that knee in an effort to get him healthy enough to suit up on Saturday against the Kansas City Chiefs.

Per ESPN's report, head coach Bill Belichick was asked about his level of concern regarding Gronkowski and said, "We'll list the players after practice like we do every day." That sounds like it's just about par for the course for the man in the hood. (As of 4:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, they've not yet released an updated report. When they do, it'll be here.)

Gronk first injured the knee back in Week 12 during a game against the Denver Broncos. He missed the following week's game against the Eagles before returning in Week 14 against the Texans and playing the final four games of the year. He had only 15 catches (with a 53.5 catch percentage) in those four games, though, an average of 3.75 per game. Prior to the injury, he'd averaged 5.2 catches a week and caught 62 percent of the passes thrown his way.

Some of that could obviously be due to the fact that the Patriots were hemorrhaging other weapons and offensive linemen down the stretch of the season. They should be significantly healthier for the game against Kansas City, with both Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola expected to play and the offensive line rounding into better shape as well.

Gronk is Tom Brady's No. 1 weapon in the passing game and should pose significant problems for the Chiefs' defense if he's able to go full speed. His matchup against Eric Berry, Ron Parker, and the K.C. linebackers should be one of the most interesting battles on the field when the Pats have the ball. The Chiefs finished the year second in Football Outsiders' DVOA (Defense-adjusted Value Over Average, which adjusts performance for down, distance, and opponent) on passes to tight ends, allowing only 42.4 yards per game to players at the position.

Still pretty vague on injection. cortizone? was it "drained" not necessarily "injection"? That't not nearly a big deal. Anyway, just passing along.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
01-14-2016, 04:31 PM
Cortisone for sure. It's going to feel a lot better for him.

chinaski
01-14-2016, 04:42 PM

Yup. I've had one in my elbow, it improved things dramatically within a few days, although it only masked the injury...the pain came back within a few months.

I recently had a steroid injection in my spine. Epidural/Fluroscope deal. Not exactly a pleasant experience, but it certainly took the edge off of my back injury.

I hope the Chiefs win, but being in perpetual pain sucks and I wish the best for him.

Rain Man
01-14-2016, 04:48 PM
I bet it was heroin.

Deberg_1990
01-14-2016, 04:50 PM
I shutter to think how much these guys are shot up and what with?

seedy underbelly of the NFL

Toby Waller
01-14-2016, 04:51 PM
http://adam-ross.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/north-dallas-forty.jpg

Halfcan
01-14-2016, 05:06 PM
Cocaine for sure. It's going to feel a lot better for him.

Cocaine, also known as benzoylmethylecgonine or coke, is a strong stimulant mostly used as a recreational drug and to treat injuries for Patriot football players.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-14-2016, 05:18 PM
I recently had a steroid injection in my spine. Epidural/Fluroscope deal. Not exactly a pleasant experience, but it certainly took the edge off of my back injury.

Had the very same injection about 9 hours ago. Local has worn off, waiting for the Kenalog to kick in.

DJ's left nut
01-14-2016, 05:26 PM
Dr. David Chao - usually a pretty interesting follow on twitter - believes this to be either a PRP or straight up stem cell injection due to the fact that cortisone shots are just done in the trainer's room and not the hospital.

I wasn't of the mind that either of those treatments were actually considered acceptable medical practice and therefore not really done in the states, but I could be wrong.

In either event, if that's the case, it would seem more of a hail mary than simple cortisone shot would've been.

Kiimo
01-14-2016, 05:34 PM
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k203/kiimosabe/Screen%20Shot%202016-01-14%20at%203.30.18%20PM.png~original

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k203/kiimosabe/Screen%20Shot%202016-01-14%20at%203.30.07%20PM.png~original

Disinformation? In MY Patriots press releases??

OnTheWarpath15
01-14-2016, 05:40 PM

Had one in my knee in mid-December. It's worked great. Was told it will likely wear off by the end of this month, mid-February at the latest.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-14-2016, 05:40 PM
Dr. David Chao - usually a pretty interesting follow on twitter - believes this to be either a PRP or straight up stem cell injection due to the fact that cortisone shots are just done in the trainer's room and not the hospital.

I wasn't of the mind that either of those treatments were actually considered acceptable medical practice and therefore not really done in the states, but I could be wrong.

In either event, if that's the case, it would seem more of a hail mary than simple cortisone shot would've been.

FWIW, getting a cortisone shot in the elbow or knee is quite a bit different than getting one in the spine. The first can be done w/o fluoroscopy, whereas the second needs imaging guidance to make sure that the needle penetrates the epidural space but no further. So yes, a shot in the knee would likely be at the facilities.

Stem-cell injections are done frequently in the states, including in CoMo. Both PRP and stem cell injections would be more a Hail Mary due to the proximity to game time. Hell, they could be doing it for the placebo affect. Gronk's stupid enough to believe anything.

stevieray
01-14-2016, 05:43 PM
That was my first thought.

Chiefshrink
01-14-2016, 05:49 PM

Tommy Reamon in that shot, former Mizzou RB who played prior to that at Ft.Scott Junior College when they were Nat'l Champs in 1970.

ClevelandBronco
01-14-2016, 06:04 PM
No Gronk, end of season and there's no need to bother anyone with a game this weekend.

BucEyedPea
01-14-2016, 06:09 PM
https://twitter.com/RapSheet

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2h2 hours ago

What I'm told on #Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski: He did not receive any knee injections. He's been getting treatment & getting ready to play.

BossChief
01-14-2016, 06:22 PM
Schefter > Rappaport

Ming the Merciless
01-14-2016, 06:24 PM
knee inflation

BossChief
01-14-2016, 07:00 PM
knee inflation

He wouldn't need to go to the doctor for someone to put a needle in there to deflate that....

BossChief
01-14-2016, 07:03 PM
Hmmmm

The Patriots amended their injury report to include a back injury for Gronk.

Did Gronk and Billichick go at it or something?

This is crazy.

MotherfuckerJones
01-14-2016, 07:05 PM
Hmmmm

The Patriots amended their injury report to include a back injury for Gronk.

Did Gronk and Billichick go at it or something?

This is crazy.

Gets crazier by the hour.

Skyy God
01-14-2016, 07:19 PM
Had one in my knee in mid-December. It's worked great. Was told it will likely wear off by the end of this month, mid-February at the latest.

$$ per week of relieve is stupid expensive.

Toby Waller
01-14-2016, 07:20 PM
http://usversusthem.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/cheaties.jpg

Basileus777
01-14-2016, 07:26 PM
PFT (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/14/gronkowski-has-back-injury-too/related/)is reporting that he has a back injury too.

vailpass
01-14-2016, 07:31 PM
Had the very same injection about 9 hours ago. Local has worn off, waiting for the Kenalog to kick in.
Damn.
Don't know what's ailing you but I hope you get on top of it...

MotherfuckerJones
01-14-2016, 07:34 PM
Damn.

Your thoughts on your game good sir?

vailpass
01-14-2016, 07:39 PM
Your thoughts on your game good sir?

Howdy MoFo-J,

So many variables. What percent will Big Ben and AB be at for Pitt? Which Peyton shows up? Can Denver move the ball on the ground? How cold will it be come game time?

Gun to my head I take Denver based on AB/Ben not being healthy enough to prison rape Denvers D like last time...

MotherfuckerJones
01-14-2016, 07:50 PM
Howdy MoFo-J,

So many variables. What percent will Big Ben and AB be at for Pitt? Which Peyton shows up? Can Denver move the ball on the ground? How cold will it be come game time?

Gun to my head I take Denver based on AB/Ben not being healthy enough to prison rape Denvers D like last time...

Bang bang bang! :D Ya I'm taking Denver because of that and being at home.

I'm just glad I don't have to hear the "win a playoff game." At least got that silverback gorilla off our back. Now time to dream bigger.

Toby Waller
01-14-2016, 07:56 PM
Howdy MoFo-J,

theyll be fine.

Steelers
Chiefs
Packers
Seahawks

vailpass
01-14-2016, 07:56 PM
Bang bang bang! :D Ya I'm taking Denver because of that and being at home.

I'm just glad I don't have to hear the "win a playoff game." At least got that silverback gorilla off our back. Now time to dream bigger.

Be sweet to see the AFCW monopolize the AFCCG...

TribalElder
01-14-2016, 07:59 PM
everyone lies

Basileus777
01-14-2016, 08:04 PM
Schefter > Rappaport
It's not just Schefter, but Reiss and Howe too that have confirmed it. Those three voices are far more credible when it comes to the Patriots than Rapoport.

BossChief
01-14-2016, 08:15 PM
Howdy MoFo-J,

IL be shocked if you guys don't win by at least 2 tds.

Rain Man
01-14-2016, 08:15 PM
Howdy MoFo-J,

I just can't imagine Manning being so bad that Landry Jones can beat him. I think the only questions to be answered are whether Rapist plays and how good he is.

vailpass
01-14-2016, 08:17 PM
IL be shocked if you guys don't win by at least 2 tds.

You've seen enough of these rodeos to know that's exactly when you need to worry...

vailpass
01-14-2016, 08:21 PM
I just can't imagine Manning being so bad that Landry Jones can beat him. I think the only questions to be answered are whether Rapist plays and how good he is.

Big Ben is an automatron. He will play.
Interesting thing to watch is if manning falters and they pull him for Brock.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-14-2016, 08:24 PM
Damn.

Herniated disc and a sprain of a sacroiliac ligament. Basically turned me into an invalid for five weeks, but I feel a hell of a lot better tonight than I have in weeks.

NJChiefsFan
01-14-2016, 08:26 PM
Big Ben is an automatron. He will play.
Interesting thing to watch is if manning falters and they pull him for Brock.

Is Brock going to be healthy enough?

vailpass
01-14-2016, 08:28 PM
Herniated disc and a sprain of a sacroiliac ligament. Basically turned me into an invalid for five weeks, but I feel a hell of a lot better tonight than I have in weeks.

And between work, school, and young family you have to power through. May better living through chemistry continue for you...

MotherfuckerJones
01-14-2016, 08:30 PM
Be sweet to see the AFCW monopolize the AFCCG...

Good chance that happens.

Toby Waller
01-14-2016, 08:31 PM

go to a chiropractor/kinesiologist /Kinesiology

vailpass
01-14-2016, 08:35 PM
Is Brock going to be healthy enough?

Yep. He got the bye week off, eased back into practice this week.
He's 25, he can STFU and play...

OnTheWarpath15
01-14-2016, 08:38 PM

I have two herniated disks at L4/L5 and L5/S1. Had massive issues with sciatic pain that burned to my toes, wasn't able to walk most days. Actually spent time in the hospital at one point it was so bad.

The thing that's helped me the most?

Acupuncture. I shit you not.

Haven't had an issue since, played 50+ rounds of golf last year.

Crazy.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-14-2016, 08:50 PM
And between work, school, and young family you have to power through. May better living through chemistry continue for you...

Thanks, man. I really appreciate it. All told, I think one of my life's clutchest moments was studying for finals while bedridden, getting out of bed, and getting a 95 on a test I needed to get a 93 on for an A in the class while loaded up with narcotics, ibuprofen, a back patch, and a donut. Winter Break was a Godsend though.

go to a chiropractor/kinesiologist /Kinesiology

Went to a chiropractor twice, didn't do much of anything. My hips are out of alignment too, which doesn't help. Overall, I'd prefer to go to an osteopath, as they practice evidence-based medicine and can still perform manipulations. I'm going to start PT next week.

I have two herniated disks at L4/L5 and L5/S1. Had massive issues with sciatic pain that burned to my toes, wasn't able to walk most days. Actually spent time in the hospital at one point it was so bad.

The thing that's helped me the most?

Acupuncture. I shit you not.

Haven't had an issue since, played 50+ rounds of golf last year.

Crazy.

I'm glad that has worked for you. I've had issues for years. The orthopedist I saw this week seems to think that the herniated disc has been there for a while b/c it was rounded off on the MRI. I had issues w/ sciatica about five years ago, but this was an entirely different ballgame.

When mine was at its worst my hamstring felt like it was constantly cramping, my calf felt like it had a tennis ball-sized knot in it, and I couldn't feel most of my toes on my left side.

It's amazing how much different your daily experience is just not dealing with pain. I can't imagine how bad it must be for people with end stage cancer, who need extremely powerful opioids just to stop excruciating pain.

It's certainly humbling to eat dinner on your hands and knees because you can't bear the pain of sitting or standing.

vailpass
01-14-2016, 08:58 PM
Thanks, man. I really appreciate it. All told, I think one of my life's clutchest moments was studying for finals while bedridden, getting out of bed, and getting a 95 on a test I needed to get a 93 on for an A in the class while loaded up with narcotics, ibuprofen, a back patch, and a donut. Winter Break was a Godsend though.

Went to a chiropractor twice, didn't do much of anything. My hips are out of alignment too, which doesn't help. Overall, I'd prefer to go to an osteopath, as they practice evidence-based medicine and can still perform manipulations. I'm going to start PT next week.

I'm glad that has worked for you. I've had issues for years. The orthopedist I saw this week seems to think that the herniated disc has been there for a while b/c it was rounded off on the MRI. I had issues w/ sciatica about five years ago, but this was an entirely different ballgame.

When mine was at its worst my hamstring felt like it was constantly cramping, my calf felt like it had a tennis ball-sized knot in it, and I couldn't feel most of my toes on my left side.

It's amazing how much different your daily experience is just not dealing with pain. I can't imagine how bad it must be for people with end stage cancer, who need extremely powerful opioids just to stop excruciating pain.

It's certainly humbling to eat dinner on your hands and knees because you can't bear the pain of sitting or standing.

Way to answer the bell. Be great when one of your little ones are older and gripe about an upcoming test, you have the perfect "let me tell you what difficult test preparation means" war story to unload.

Welcome to the do things because I have people depending on me club. It's the biggest gulag you'll ever love...

KC native
01-14-2016, 09:04 PM

I have my second one scheduled for Monday.

It provided minimal relief for me. Shifted where I felt the nerve pain and now my numbness goes all the way down my leg

jspchief
01-14-2016, 09:07 PM
http://usversusthem.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/cheaties.jpg
Asterix is gonna leave in a huff.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-14-2016, 09:12 PM
I have my second one scheduled for Monday.

It provided minimal relief for me. Shifted where I felt the nerve pain and now my numbness goes all the way down my leg

I haven't tried them, but supposedly McKenzie exercises can help centralize the pain in your low back.

Buehler445
01-14-2016, 09:21 PM

JFC. I've never heard of anyone spraining the sacroiliac. All the best bud.

TribalElder
01-14-2016, 09:55 PM
Mannings wife ordered 5 gallons of Ray Lewis's Deer Antler Spray a month ago

pugsnotdrugs19
01-14-2016, 10:03 PM
To the asshole who said it 'meant nothing' that Gronk missed practice earlier, well now with a back injury also added to it, they are calling him a game time decision. Now, I know he will play, but clearly something is wrong for this to flare up all of the sudden.

Smed1065
01-14-2016, 10:30 PM
I bet it was heroin.

:D

Dante84
01-15-2016, 12:09 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Need for epidural steroid injection implies nerve issue.
Only 2 days away means difficult to have a huge <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gronk?src=hash">#Gronk</a> game <a href="https://t.co/8u6AUmrynw">https://t.co/8u6AUmrynw</a></p>&mdash; David J. Chao, MD (@ProFootballDoc) <a href="https://twitter.com/ProFootballDoc/status/687857096168050689">January 15, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dante84
01-15-2016, 12:10 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I’m told that it’s the back injury that kept Gronk out of Tuesday’s practice, not his knee</p>&mdash; Ben Volin (@BenVolin) <a href="https://twitter.com/BenVolin/status/687801530058145792">January 15, 2016</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hospital visit &amp; injection likely was epidural steroid injection for back/disc issue, not knee. Completely legal. <a href="https://t.co/9YZyjZtHlZ">https://t.co/9YZyjZtHlZ</a></p>&mdash; David J. Chao, MD (@ProFootballDoc) <a href="https://twitter.com/ProFootballDoc/status/687837694664114176">January 15, 2016</a></blockquote>

Smed1065
01-15-2016, 12:26 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Need for epidural steroid injection implies nerve issue.
Only 2 days away means difficult to have a huge <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gronk?src=hash">#Gronk</a> game <a href="https://t.co/8u6AUmrynw">https://t.co/8u6AUmrynw</a></p>&mdash; David J. Chao, MD (@ProFootballDoc) <a href="https://twitter.com/ProFootballDoc/status/687857096168050689">January 15, 2016</a></blockquote>

Sounds better. No 1 with a #1 receiver.

We are going to where we have never before!

Sucks living away from KC this year 4 sure. Got my monies worth I guess. 1990 onward.

Imagine playing with your co-workers versus you and your family.

Chase looking better "Work For It".

big nasty kcnut
01-15-2016, 12:32 AM
This just in gronk treated with pcp. Angel dust ,the love boat.

Strongside
01-15-2016, 12:33 AM
Sounds better. No 1 with a #1 receiver.

We are going to where we have never before!

Sucks living away from KC this year 4 sure. Got my monies worth I guess. 1990 onward.

Imagine playing with your co-workers versus you and your family.

Chase looking better "Work For It".

I literally have no idea what you just said.

Smed1065
01-15-2016, 12:36 AM
I literally have no idea what you just said.

Means #1 rec out for both teams maybe. (probably)

We are going to the bowl. SB in case U missed it.

The uniqueness of this team is like family.

Really?

N00b!

smed speak, alot better than b4!

Pasta Little Brioni
01-15-2016, 01:05 AM
Simply Smed

Smed1065
01-15-2016, 01:14 AM
Simply Smed
Simply a winner.
Chiefs not me yet....
Working on it!

RobBlake
01-15-2016, 01:23 AM
Gronk is the reason the pats do not have to draft highly touted Wrs or fa wrs. I just can't see Brady having an effective game without effective threats.

TripleThreat
01-15-2016, 01:25 AM
Whatever it takes for them to beat us. They gonna. Need it

01-15-2016, 01:25 AM
Gotta love the coaches gamemanship. This shit is so annoying.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-15-2016, 01:37 AM
Simply a winner.
Chiefs not me yet....
Working on it!

I bet you make a mean chili mac

Smed1065
01-15-2016, 02:20 AM
Mac no b chili yes. Cast iron.

listopencil
01-15-2016, 04:33 AM
They injected a fetus into his knee. They're cloning his replacement and they want it to get playoff experience.

Sandy Vagina
01-15-2016, 08:01 AM
Gronk is the reason the pats do not have to draft highly touted Wrs or fa wrs. I just can't see Brady having an effective game without effective threats.

Should come down to KC turnovers and whether our pass rush can rattle Brady early on. If our rush is bringing their B+/A game? I do not see NE scoring more than 13 points, unless KC is turning the ball over on the short field.

Mecca
01-15-2016, 08:05 AM

I've had a PRP injection, it sucked.

MotherfuckerJones
01-15-2016, 08:10 AM
Guess he needed his extra estrogen shot

ARROW2
01-15-2016, 08:20 AM
**** Gronk. I don't believe shit that comes out of their mouths. **** Belichick and Tommesha and their fake praise of KC. Go up their and hit those punk ass bitches in the mouth, repeatedly, and then look at Pitt/Den and tell them they are gettin it next. Now is not the time to be friends. We can be cool after the game.

BossChief
01-15-2016, 08:43 AM

Look what the cat dragged in.

How ya been man?

MIAdragon
01-15-2016, 08:51 AM

It seems to work for some.

MotherfuckerJones
01-15-2016, 09:40 AM
NE is playing possum

kepp
01-15-2016, 09:47 AM
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k203/kiimosabe/Screen%20Shot%202016-01-14%20at%203.30.18%20PM.png~original

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k203/kiimosabe/Screen%20Shot%202016-01-14%20at%203.30.07%20PM.png~original

Disinformation? In MY Patriots press releases??

"Mr. Gronkowski has no knees that we're aware of." /Belichick

Bowser
01-15-2016, 09:57 AM
NE is playing possum

Yes. Gronk will be ready to roll and all this will be moot.

siberian khatru
01-15-2016, 10:03 AM
Why don't I just Xerox Gronk's medical reports to the Chiefs and let them look at them? /Belichick