PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Wow Amendola says its legal block will appeal of fined

chiefscafan
01-19-2016, 11:37 AM
Look at this take of the incident by a NE reporter makes me sick and understand why everyone hates the patriots.

FOXBORO — In the second quarter of the Patriots’ win over the Chiefs, Danny Amendola was back inside the Patriots’ 10-yard line to receive a punt. As the ball was coming his way, he moved aside to hopefully have the ball bounce into the end zone for a touchback.

During that process, he hit Jamell Fleming with a violent shoulder to head hit. He was flagged for necessary roughness, but Amendola said afterwards he thought the play was clean.

“I’ll appeal if I’m getting fined, but I thought it was a clean hit,” Amendola said. “We’re coached to do that. It’s a big play if I block that guy and the ball bounces in the end zone. We get the ball on the 20-yard line, so it’s a big play in the game, big play for field position.”

Funny but didn't look like he was moving aside looked like an intentional spear to me.

cmh6476
01-19-2016, 11:39 AM
Hard to justify it being necessary

teedubya
01-19-2016, 11:39 AM
Fuck the Patriots.

Baby Lee
01-19-2016, 11:41 AM
'Little ol' me? I'm just gonna get out of everyone's way. Mind if I stash my helmet under your chin?'

The Franchise
01-19-2016, 11:41 AM
Hope he breaks his fucking neck.

loochy
01-19-2016, 11:42 AM
Wow Amendola says its legal block will appeal of fined
Funny but look like he was moving aside looked like an intentional spear to me.

wut

New World Order
01-19-2016, 11:42 AM
NE lost a whole 2 yards off of that penalty.

listopencil
01-19-2016, 11:43 AM
The announcers at the time said it was illegal to block that way. I'm trying to remember the phrase they used. From what they said it's not even a question of the way he blocked, it's turning back and blocking someone in the direction of the goal line like that when you are receiving the kick. I don't know. I'll try to find it.

Sassy Squatch
01-19-2016, 11:43 AM
Holy bad grammar, Batman.

New World Order
01-19-2016, 11:47 AM
Holy bad grammar, Batman.

I think the reporter is from the Middle East

listopencil
01-19-2016, 11:48 AM
This isn't the part I was talking about, I am still looking. But it's a really good video of the hit.

<iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/i6hd" allowfullscreen="" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" scrolling="no" style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;" frameborder="0"></iframe>

chiefscafan
01-19-2016, 11:48 AM
Sorry just woke up had to post this my phone auto correct to of instead of if but can you believe this crap?

TLO
01-19-2016, 11:50 AM
Look at this take of the incident by a NE reporter makes me sick and understand why everyone hates the patriots.

FOXBORO — In the second quarter of the Patriots’ win over the Chiefs, Danny Amendola was back inside the Patriots’ 10-yard line to receive a punt. As the ball was coming his way, he moved aside to hopefully have the ball bounce into the end zone for a touchback.

During that process, he hit Jamell Fleming with a violent shoulder to head hit. He was flagged for necessary roughness, but Amendola said afterwards he thought the play was clean.

“I’€™ll appeal if I’€™m getting fined, but I thought it was a clean hit,” Amendola said. “We’€™re coached to do that. It’€™s a big play if I block that guy and the ball bounces in the end zone. We get the ball on the 20-yard line, so it’€™s a big play in the game, big play for field position.”

Funny but look like he was moving aside looked like an intentional spear to me.

“I’€™ll appeal if I’€™m getting fined, but I thought it was a clean hit,” Amendola said. “We’€™re coached to do that. It’€™s a big play if I block that guy and the ball bounces in the end zone. We get the ball on the 20-yard line, so it’€™s a big play in the game, big play for field position.”

What in the hell??

Sassy Squatch
LMAO what's with the video taking up half the page. Jesus Christ.

TLO
WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?

TLO
01-19-2016, 11:52 AM
YOU BROKE THIS THREAD LISTOPENCIL

loochy
01-19-2016, 11:52 AM
WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?

Don't you mean:

WHAT€™S GOING ARE TO€™HERE?€™

Toby Waller
01-19-2016, 11:53 AM
Lol

KCCHIEFS27
01-19-2016, 11:55 AM
Is this an introduction thread about scientology? Because I don't understand what's going on.

Perineum Ripper
01-19-2016, 11:57 AM
This thread is a gaggle fuck..the spirit of Amendola is fucking this page all up

Toby Waller
01-19-2016, 11:59 AM
I don't trust anyone who's last name starts with a vowel

listopencil
01-19-2016, 12:02 PM

You will watch my video. YOU WILL WATCH MY VIDEO!

No, really, I have no idea what the fuck is going on with that. It's huge.

MikeMaslowski
01-19-2016, 12:04 PM
I don't trust anyone who's last name starts with a vowel

Obama?

Bowser
01-19-2016, 12:07 PM
He has to appeal. Otherwise he's admitting what he did was wrong, and he's not going to lose face like that. I just hope some gunner for the Broncos lays his a similar shot on him this weekend.

Toby Waller
01-19-2016, 12:11 PM
Obama?

Neither Republic or Democrat Presidents are tell ing the truth

loochy
01-19-2016, 12:12 PM
Neither Republic or Democrat Presidents are tell ing the truth

Cruz
Trump
Rubio

don't start with vowels

BucEyedPea
01-19-2016, 12:12 PM
This was already discussed in another thread. We all thought it was a dirty hit here...until:

You look at three videos from different angles, then it isn't clear. He looks like he's going for the shoulder but his head lands just above the numbers of his shirt.

However Amendola is allowed to block because he didn't give a fair catch signal.

The NFL rules define a kickoff or punt returner trying to field a kick in the air as a defenseless player, but there are no specific protections written into the rules for players on the kicking team. Unneccesary roughness can be called when a player throws himself into an opponent who “should not have reasonably anticipated such contact by an opponent, before or after the ball is dead” as well as when a player uses any part of the “helmet or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/17/belichick-amendolas-block-was-a-legal-play/

Patriots are clearly in your heads.

loochy
01-19-2016, 12:14 PM
No, we all still think it was a dirty hit except for you and Asterix

MikeMaslowski
01-19-2016, 12:22 PM
I mean "really"??? Not sure why I quoted but is he fugging serious? Vontae Burfict (sp) is going to miss three games (history of violence) for a glancing hit and this idiot doesn't think his BS stupid effing hit was deserving of a fine? God I hate them even more now. And "necessary" roughness, what a tool that writer is.

Toby Waller
01-19-2016, 12:23 PM
Cruz
Trump
Rubio

don't start with vowels

Trump is the new Pat Paulson

New World Order
01-19-2016, 12:23 PM

LMAO

It completely covered ChiefsCaFan's post

loochy
01-19-2016, 12:25 PM
Trump is the new Pat Paulson

not a vowel

penguinz
01-19-2016, 12:27 PM
This was already discussed in another thread. We all thought it was a dirty hit here...until:

You look at three videos from different angles, then it isn't clear. He looks like he's going for the shoulder but his head lands just above the numbers of his shirt.

However Amendola is allowed to block because he didn't give a fair catch signal.

Patriots are clearly in your heads.This has nothing to do with the flag or why he should be fined. No one is arguing wether or not it was legal to block Flemming during the play. The issue is that he led with his helmet.

Rain Man
01-19-2016, 12:28 PM
This has nothing to do with the flag or why he should be fined. No one is arguing wether or not it was legal to block Flemming during the play. The issue is that he led with his helmet.

Yeah, I've got no problem with the hit. It was a bit surprising, but that's just good coaching since most teams wouldn't do it.

My issue is that he planted the hit right in Fleming's face when it was totally unnecessary and avoidable.

Amnorix
01-19-2016, 12:29 PM
No, we all still think it was a dirty hit except for you and Asterix

I think the penalty it drew was correct, as the hit ended up being too high -- neck/chin area. That said, it clearly wasn't spearing, because Amendola hit him with his head, not the front of his helmet.

:shrug:

displacedinMN
01-19-2016, 12:31 PM
should be suspended

CleveSteve
01-19-2016, 12:34 PM
I think the reporter is from the Middle East

:hmmm:

He was flagged for necessary roughness,

You may be on to something...

http://www.universalmartialartsacademyandtrainingcenter.org/sites/site-354/images/sifu/5ed2b6ed-7f00-0001-007b-6a5883b77e58.jpg

BigMeatballDave
01-19-2016, 12:35 PM
For crying out loud will someone please fix the thread title.

:)

The Franchise
01-19-2016, 12:36 PM

Die in a fire, cunt.

Dunit35
01-19-2016, 12:38 PM
:hmmm:

You may be on to something...

http://www.universalmartialartsacademyandtrainingcenter.org/sites/site-354/images/sifu/5ed2b6ed-7f00-0001-007b-6a5883b77e58.jpg

Great movie.

loochy
01-19-2016, 12:39 PM
I think the penalty it drew was correct, as the hit ended up being too high -- neck/chin area. That said, it clearly wasn't spearing, because Amendola hit him with his head, not the front of his helmet.

OK, so then BEP is alone here

Baby Lee
01-19-2016, 12:49 PM

She has Amendola to snuggle with.

jspchief
01-19-2016, 12:50 PM
I suspect she's alone a lot. Who could put up with with such a massive cunt?

Fire Me Boy!
01-19-2016, 12:53 PM
Great movie.

You and I define "great" very differently, my friend.

ChiefGator
01-19-2016, 12:58 PM
I said this in some other thread, but that looks to me like "targeting" and I think the refs should be allowed to eject a player for clear targeting of a defenseless player. He looked to be spearing him with his helmet to me.

I actually like that rule in college.

ClevelandBronco
01-19-2016, 01:03 PM
The announcers at the time said it was illegal to block that way. I'm trying to remember the phrase they used. From what they said it's not even a question of the way he blocked, it's turning back and blocking someone in the direction of the goal line like that when you are receiving the kick. I don't know. I'll try to find it.

In addition to the hit itself, which could have been flagged for leading with the crown of the helmet, IIRC, did the announcers say that it was some form of an illegal crack back block?

listopencil
01-19-2016, 01:14 PM
In addition to the hit itself, which could have been flagged for leading with the crown of the helmet, IIRC, did the announcers say that it was some form of an illegal crack back block?

I think Fouts was saying it was a blind side block but that doesn't look correct from my reading of the rule. I haven't been able to find a replay that has the comment in it I was looking for.

Bowser
01-19-2016, 01:16 PM
I think Fouts was saying it was a blind side block but that doesn't look correct from my reading of the rule. I haven't been able to find a replay that has the comment in it I was looking for.

I think Fouts was trying to go for the "defenseless player" angle with that comment.

TimBone
01-19-2016, 01:19 PM
Seriously though, after Fleming's performance against Denver in week 2, he kinda deserved that hit. Didn't he? DIDN'T HE?

kysirsoze
01-19-2016, 01:20 PM
Obviously should be suspended, but of course not. Can't fucking believe he's bitching about the fine. What a piece of shit. I hope Talib pokes his fucking eye out.

listopencil
01-19-2016, 01:23 PM
I think Fouts was trying to go for the "defenseless player" angle with that comment.

That does sound right as I recall. The other announcer was saying something about how that rule doesn't apply to someone from the kicking team?

listopencil
01-19-2016, 01:25 PM
It's hard for me to remember because I usually try to tune out Fouts' voice. He's a giant, insufferable prick that couldn't call a game straight if his mother's life depended on it.

kysirsoze
01-19-2016, 01:28 PM
It's hard for me to remember because I usually try to tune out Fouts' voice. He's a giant, insufferable prick that couldn't call a game straight if his mother's life depended on it.

Yeah, I muted it in the third quarter. I wish we could have access to stadium ambient sounds instead.

Rain Man
01-19-2016, 01:28 PM

I remember them saying that and didn't understand it at all. If defenders are chasing a returner you're allowed to block them in that direction, so I thought maybe they were just making stuff up.

kysirsoze
01-19-2016, 01:30 PM
I remember them saying that and didn't understand it at all. If defenders are chasing a returner you're allowed to block them in that direction, so I thought maybe they were just making stuff up.

I got the impression that when someone has turned up field and are awaiting a punt, they are considered defenseless regardless of which team they are on. I don't know if that's in the rules, but that's what the announcers were saying.

Amnorix
01-19-2016, 01:31 PM
I said this in some other thread, but that looks to me like "targeting" and I think the refs should be allowed to eject a player for clear targeting of a defenseless player. He looked to be spearing him with his helmet to me.

Spearing, even though he pretty clearly hit him with his shoulder, primarily?

ChiefGator
01-19-2016, 01:34 PM

Not clearly. Not clearly at all.

TimBone
01-19-2016, 01:38 PM
Yeah, I muted it in the third quarter. I wish we could have access to stadium ambient sounds instead.
Ohhh....so you missed his call when the Pats recovered the Knife Davis fumble. He didn't even try to contain his joy.

Garcia Bronco
01-19-2016, 01:39 PM

It was a blind side block if I recall and it is illegal in the rules on a punt or kick return.

Amnorix
01-19-2016, 01:40 PM

Not clearly. Not clearly at all.

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/229/files/2016/01/hit3-590x900.png

When I think spearing, I think leading directly with the helmet first and pretty much exclusively into the guy. Alot of collisions involve the helmet, obviously, in some fashion, with it off to the side etc. Here, the helmet wasn't what primarily delivered the impact. It was the shoulder.

https://gfycat.com/AgileAlarmingGrackle

Was it unnecessarily rough? Yes, I think so. Was it a cheap shot? Definitely arguable, since the guy was defenseless (whatever the rules say), and I think a hard block could have been delivered in a cleaner fashion without trying to decleat the guy. Was it spearing? I think clearly not.

Garcia Bronco
01-19-2016, 01:41 PM

doesn't matter what you hit them with. If the hit is the shoulder or above it's illegal anymore.

Scorp
01-19-2016, 01:43 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4PfsIm1K0vU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

listopencil
01-19-2016, 01:43 PM
I got the impression that when someone has turned up field and are awaiting a punt, they are considered defenseless regardless of which team they are on. I don't know if that's in the rules, but that's what the announcers were saying.

There is a specific list of what a "defenseless player" is considered to be:

http://www.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/15_Rule12_Player_Conduct.pdf

...and the Chief on this play isn't covered. But the refs are actually free to call "Unnecessary Roughness" without a specific reason:

UNNECESSARY ROUGHNESS
Article 8 There shall be no unnecessary roughness. This shall include, but will not be limited to:

MikeMaslowski
01-19-2016, 01:44 PM

When I think spearing, I think leading directly with the helmet first and pretty much exclusively into the guy. Alot of collisions involve the helmet, obviously, in some fashion, with it off to the side etc. Here, the helmet wasn't what primarily delivered the impact. It was the shoulder.

Would you defend that if it was Brady? /thread

Garcia Bronco
01-19-2016, 01:44 PM

Doesn't matter if it was his pinky that he led with...you can't hit people in the head anymore except within 3 yards of the LOS.

Rain Man
01-19-2016, 01:45 PM
At the time, I wished death on Amendola, and be clear that I really wish the Patriots would go 0-16 next season.

After watching replays, my only issue is that he essentially made it a throat and head hit, which was unnecessary. I hesitate to say it, but it's possible that it wasn't an intentional cheap shot, and I don't really know which rule applies. I half-think that it was called because it was a violent hit that was high and unexpected, and just looked like it was unnecessary.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-19-2016, 01:49 PM

What pieces of trash you and Asterix are

listopencil
01-19-2016, 01:50 PM
At the time, I wished death on Amendola, and be clear that I really wish the Patriots would go 0-16 next season.

After watching replays, my only issue is that he essentially made it a throat and head hit, which was unnecessary. I hesitate to say it, but it's possible that it wasn't an intentional cheap shot, and I don't really know which rule applies. I half-think that it was called because it was a violent hit that was high and unexpected, and just looked like it was unnecessary.

Yeah. I think they called it Unnecessary Roughness because he was unnecessarily rough.

Amnorix
01-19-2016, 01:52 PM
doesn't matter what you hit them with. If the hit is the shoulder or above it's illegal anymore.

err...yeah, I know. I agree that the hit is ILLEGAL. I've said that from the start. The hit was too high, and properly flagged for unnecessary roughness.

The question is, is it spearing? Maybe there is a formal definition of it somewhere, but I don't think it's spearing because he didn't hit the guy primarily with his helmet first.

Amnorix
01-19-2016, 01:53 PM
Doesn't matter if it was his pinky that he led with...you can't hit people in the head anymore except within 3 yards of the LOS.

errr...yeah, I know.

I AGREE IT WAS AN ILLEGAL HIT AND WAS PROPERLY FLAGGED.

Amnorix
01-19-2016, 01:53 PM

What pieces of trash you and Asterix are

And Rain Man, apparently. :rolleyes:

Bugeater
01-19-2016, 01:55 PM
I think the penalty it drew was correct,
You mean 2 yards?

Amnorix
01-19-2016, 01:55 PM

Completely agree with this. Properly flagged.

I've watched Amendola for 3 years or whatever. He's no Burfict. I think he meant to deliver a hard, clean block, but got too high and because the guy was defenseless that made it look even worse. I think the penalty was properly assessed, and that a fine would not be unreasonable at all.

Amnorix
01-19-2016, 01:56 PM
You mean 2 yards?

Actually I meant unnecessary roughness, but the two yard penalty is the only penalty the ref could level, unless he was going to eject the guy which is practically never done in the NFL.

In another thread, someone mentioned the team having the option to have the penalty added to the distance needed to make a first down isntead, which would be fine with me. Obviously that's a pretty dramatic change to NFL rules, but a lousy two yard penalty for unnecessary roughness isn't really what anyone wants to see (unless you're Burfict).

BigMeatballDave
01-19-2016, 02:01 PM
Chiefs should have gotten the ball back on that penalty. I know it's not the rule, but it's useless penalty at this point.

BigMeatballDave
01-19-2016, 02:05 PM
In this situation, like many others like it, technically there is no penalty levied.

BigMeatballDave
01-19-2016, 02:09 PM
I wonder if the NFL would ever adopt a Targeting rule?

CleveSteve
01-19-2016, 02:12 PM
They basically had one with the spearing rule until they had to explain away why James Harrison was doing "legal" things with his helmet. The spearing rule ain't in the rules anymore. It used to read under 15 yards and possibility of ejection:

Any tackler using his helmet to butt, spear, or ram an opponent

-also used to say in same version-

Any tackler using the crown of his helmet as a weapon.

But, Steelers, so...

I remember as a kid there was Chuck Cecil (when he played for AZ) on the cover of SI with the headline "Is Chuck Cecil too violent for the NFL?" after a series of fines for spearing penalties. Then... they just stopped calling it... eventually put in all these pigeonholed caveats "well, if they are a runner in position to defend themselves then it's ok," etc. Why not just enforce the rules you already had on the books?

srvy
01-19-2016, 02:23 PM

Was it unnecessarily rough? Yes, I think so. Was it a cheap shot? Definitely arguable, since the guy was defenseless (whatever the rules say), and I think a hard block could have been delivered in a cleaner fashion without trying to decleat the guy. Was it spearing? I think clearly not.

That still his head is past the point of impact. Strange how you captured that point in the play:rolleyes:

Amnorix
01-19-2016, 02:31 PM
Chiefs should have gotten the ball back on that penalty. I know it's not the rule, but it's useless penalty at this point.

That still his head is past the point of impact. Strange how you captured that point in the play:rolleyes:

errr...unless you tackle ass first, isn't every tackle going to look like that?

listopencil
01-19-2016, 02:36 PM

His head is always going to be past the point of impact because Amendola turned his head to the left and hit with his shoulder. It was Unnecessary Roughness because Amendola's shoulder made contact too high on the body and he hit instead of blocking in a situation that didn't call for a hit.

Amnorix
01-19-2016, 02:38 PM
His head is always going to be past the point of impact because Amendola turned his head to the left and hit with his shoulder. It was Unnecessary Roughness because Amendola's shoulder made contact too high on the body and he hit instead of blocking in a situation that didn't call for a hit.

This is exactly my view.

Of course, I'm agreeing with a Broncos fan, so I doubt this is going to get us much traction around here. :D

Spott
01-19-2016, 02:39 PM
Should be suspended. His hit was every bit as dirty and intentional as the one on Antonio Brown. Hopefully that bastards gets a couple of nasty ACL tears.

Just Passin' By

It's the same blindside hit rule that they called against Fitzgerald in the Cardinals/Packers game, and it's a borderline call here. It boils down to whether Amendola is considered to be in front of the player when he hits him, or if he's still considered to be on his side. If the league does fine Amendola, he'll have a decent argument on appeal.

ChiefGator
And I am willing to bet that is NOT how Belichick teaches them to tackle. I am betting part of his tackling instructions includes "wrap up" the one you are tackling. The hit looks even worse since he drops his arms and essentially launches himself as the other player's head.

Amnorix
01-19-2016, 02:40 PM
Should be suspended. His hit was every bit as dirty and intentional as the one on Antonio Brown. Hopefully that bastards gets a couple of nasty ACL tears.

:rolleyes:

Amnorix
01-19-2016, 02:41 PM
And I am willing to bet that is NOT how Belichick teaches them to tackle. I am betting part of his tackling instructions includes "wrap up" the one you are tackling. The hit looks even worse since he drops his arms and essentially launches himself as the other player's head.

Wasn't a tackle, it was a block. Trying to make sure he didn't "fair catch" the punt.

Garcia Bronco
01-19-2016, 02:42 PM
err...yeah, I know. I agree that the hit is ILLEGAL. I've said that from the start. The hit was too high, and properly flagged for unnecessary roughness.

The question is, is it spearing? Maybe there is a formal definition of it somewhere, but I don't think it's spearing because he didn't hit the guy primarily with his helmet first.

Not it is not "spearing" but spearing is a generic term anymore that doesn't mean a whole bunch.

srvy
01-19-2016, 02:43 PM
He launched and led with crown of helmet. His head was down looking down at ground. Most the impact was with the shoulder but he grazed the chin and facemask. Most the real world believes it was dirty except Mass.

listopencil
01-19-2016, 02:47 PM

To be fair, the guy is a Wide Receiver. He's probably not that great of a blocker being a small-ish WR. I would imagine that on Offensive plays where he is required to block that he uses this technique to get a "+" on plays where he has to move his man out of the play. On Special Teams he's listed as a return guy, he's not put out there to engage in conventional blocking.

Garcia Bronco
01-19-2016, 02:47 PM
I wonder if the NFL would ever adopt a Targeting rule?

there is in essence is a targeting rule...but the term is different. The refer to it as "lining up" the other player. It is now, as of two seasons ago, illegal to line up a player and make above the shoulder contact outside of 3 yards of the LOS. Neither the runner or defender is allowed to do this.

It's not exactly the same rule and doesn't have the same consequences but this video does a great job of explaining it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000238662/article/new-nfl-rules-crownofhelmet-change-to-help-runner-defender

ChiefGator
01-19-2016, 02:54 PM
there is in essence is a targeting rule...but the term is different. The refer to it as "lining up" the other player. It is now, as of two seasons ago, illegal to line up a player and make above the shoulder contact outside of 3 yards of the LOS. Neither the runner or defender is allowed to do this.

It's not exactly the same rule and doesn't have the same consequences but this video does a great job of explaining it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000238662/article/new-nfl-rules-crownofhelmet-change-to-help-runner-defender

Right, that is about the running back and defender, as you pointed out. Thanks for posting it, btw.

Amendola's play will result in an ejection in five years. I'ld bet on rule changes coming down like that. It goes against the spirit of the game and all the lessons on safely tackling. It had a very high risk of concussion to both Amendola and Flemming.

I am not saying Amendola is a bad player or that he intended to hurt Flemming.. but the play itself was dangerous to both players.. unnecessarily so.

Bowser
01-19-2016, 02:59 PM
Do you have an image that shows Amendola charging in helmet first, or do you just have an image of the impact?

ChiefGator
01-19-2016, 03:00 PM
Do you have an image that shows Amendola charging in helmet first, or do you just have an image of the impact?

A couple pages back there is video of it.

Toby Waller
01-19-2016, 03:01 PM
Lol Jesus Christ, the Patriots fan base has been taught by their team to be brainwashed spin doctors.
He fucking hit the guy helmet to helmet and in the most unrealistic, unnecessary way that no punt returner has ever thought or felt the need to. This never happens. No one does this.
How the hell do bend that into a on the fence,I don't know,maybe,maybe not type of Happy reasoning?
The idiot speared the other player =end of story.

Dayze
01-19-2016, 03:05 PM
I wish the NFL would play one game a year sans pads and helmets.

lol

jspchief
01-19-2016, 03:28 PM
If this isn't already expressly illegal in the rulebook, I wouldn't be surprised to see it addressed in the off season. In terms of danger to the player, it's not much different than blowing up a punt returner looking in a punt.

As for Asterix and the rest of the Patriots scrotum washers, it's really no surprise they're defending this.

listopencil
01-19-2016, 03:42 PM
If this isn't already expressly illegal in the rulebook, I wouldn't be surprised to see it addressed in the off season. In terms of danger to the player, it's not much different than blowing up a punt returner looking in a punt.

As for Asterix and the rest of the Patriots scrotum washers, it's really no surprise they're defending this.

They could just add "member of kicking team attempting to down a ball by catching it" to the list of Defenseless Players. I wouldn't mind seeing that. No reason to set people up for injury.

listopencil
01-19-2016, 03:47 PM
As of right now there is substantial incentive to make a play like Amendola did. If the ball looks like it is going to hit the ground close to your own Goal Line, and a guy from the other team looks like he is in position to down it, it makes sense to block him away from that spot so the ball goes in for a touchback. The only problem I see with what Amendola did according to the rules as they are written is that he did more of a hit than a block and he made contact too high on the other guy's body. Unnecessary Roughness, but it's a subjective call.

Just Passin' By
01-19-2016, 03:50 PM

3. "Blindside" Block. It is an illegal "blindside" block if the initial force of the contact by a blocker's helmet (including facemask), forearm, or shoulder is to the head or neck area of an opponent when the blocker is moving toward his own endline and approaches his opponent from behind or from the side.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c8823a/printable/leagues-official-player-safety-rules

jspchief
01-19-2016, 03:56 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c8823a/printable/leagues-official-player-safety-rules

That doesn't really address this situation since there are times when the block wouldn't come from the side or behind, but still be dangerous to the player.

I'm curious about this scenario because I can't think of another time that I've seen a returner do this. The typical reaction is to clear out, probably to avoid accidental touching.

listopencil
01-19-2016, 03:59 PM
That doesn't really address this situation since there are times when the block wouldn't come from the side or behind, but still be dangerous to the player.

I'm curious about this scenario because I can't think of another time that I've seen a returner do this. The typical reaction is to clear out, probably to avoid accidental touching.

Yeah, it didn't look like a blind side block to me from Amendola's starting position. It had the effect of a blind side block because the Chief was looking up at the ball and not expecting to be plowed.

listopencil
01-19-2016, 04:05 PM
How ironic would it be for one of the Bronco Special Teamer's to light Amendola the fuck up on a similar play, and just explain afterward that he didn't want to be the victim of injury on a legal play by Amendola?

listopencil
01-19-2016, 04:06 PM
"Hey. I was just trying to block him away from the ball. I'm a DE/LB and that's how I block."

New World Order
01-19-2016, 04:06 PM
How ironic would it be for one of the Bronco Special Teamer's to light Amendola the **** up on a similar play, and just explain afterward that he didn't want to be the victim of injury on a legal play by Amendola?

They're definitely dirty enough to do it.

listopencil
01-19-2016, 04:11 PM
They're definitely dirty enough to do it.

Suppose you have a Gunner that gets down to the Goal Line and sets himself up to do the same thing that the Chief was trying to do. Shaquil Barrett (2nd string DE/LB who plays Special Teams) gets into position to the side of the Gunner. Amendola runs in, towards his own Goal Line, obviously not in position to receive the kick, and charges our Gunner. Barrett then plows the living shit out of him to block him away from the ball. Legal?

Just Passin' By
01-19-2016, 04:14 PM

:spock:

The penalty that was called doesn't address the situation of the penalty that was called?

jspchief
01-19-2016, 04:25 PM
:spock:

The penalty that was called doesn't address the situation of the penalty that was called?
The penalty that was called was unnecessary roughness.

And no, the rule you posted doesn't address the situation I mentioned in my post where the block could come frome the front (not blindside) but still puts the player at significant risk.

Maybe you should go back and read it again. Perhaps I can find a crayon font to get it into your stupid fucking head.

Chiefaholic
01-19-2016, 04:52 PM

Hopefully Von Miller doesn't call for a fair catch on a Brady interception this weekend. Then he can lay one of those legal hits on Brady as well. I'm sure the league wouldn't have a problem with that what-so-ever.

DaKCMan AP
01-19-2016, 05:49 PM
The definition of launching with the crown of your helmet:

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/229/files/2016/01/Screen-Shot-2016-01-16-at-5.40.29-PM.png

srvy
01-19-2016, 05:53 PM
Sometimes I wonder if the league hasn't legalized bountygate in a weird sort of way with concussion protocol. You have a cheating Owner and his franchise with a head coach ready willing and able to cheat. He has his players that will do his bidding.

So now you have NFL Doctors roving around looking for players a little goofy. Off you go to sideline for evaluations then possibly to locker room for further testing. This can eat better than a quarter away for a player that can go back into the game. If said cheaters get lucky your out of the game maybe a few more.

Now back to the cheating organization who knows coming into the game opponent is banged up in secondary, Linebacking and O line. Hey why not have your players take the risk and headhunt because cheating owner will just pay players fine with no repercussions hell Godell is his bud . Banged up secondary with game plan to spread us out throw slants win win.

May sound far fetched but anything is possible with NE. This is the thing with cheaters once proven you will always be suspect and worthless cheats. But those East coast values don't mean nothing Championships are everything.

End rant.

Toby Waller
01-19-2016, 05:56 PM

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/229/files/2016/01/Screen-Shot-2016-01-16-at-5.40.29-PM.png

the cleats look stupid with the -Nike- written on the side.
looks like discount shoes

srvy
01-19-2016, 06:16 PM
Check out @JamellFleming's Tweet: https://twitter.com/JamellFleming/status/688552033960497152?s=09

srvy
01-19-2016, 06:19 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">If Vontaze Burfict got suspended for 3 games for a shoulder. What yall think this weak dude should get? <a href="https://t.co/8GAwUtlQtg">https://t.co/8GAwUtlQtg</a></p>&mdash; JamellFleming (@JamellFleming) <a href="https://twitter.com/JamellFleming/status/688552033960497152">January 17, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Deberg_1990
01-19-2016, 06:38 PM
Hard to believe that Amendola, an offensive player and a guy who's been injured over and over throughout his career would think this was ok?

I wonder how he would react if he was hit the same way while on offense??

GloucesterChief
01-19-2016, 06:43 PM
Its too bad that the CBA doesn't allow the NFL to increase the fine on appeal. Amendola deserves it and a suspension. That was blatant and deliberate targeting.

Dayze
01-19-2016, 07:04 PM
he deserves everything he gets in terms of brutal hits coming his way. I don't wish a big injury on a player, but if one happens to him I'm certainly not gonna lose any fucking sleep over it. Karma motherfucker.

and aftwerwards, we can all remind him of how much of a fucking douche he was.

Garcia Bronco
01-19-2016, 07:07 PM
Right, that is about the running back and defender, as you pointed out. Thanks for posting it, btw.

Amendola's play will result in an ejection in five years. I'ld bet on rule changes coming down like that. It goes against the spirit of the game and all the lessons on safely tackling. It had a very high risk of concussion to both Amendola and Flemming.

I am not saying Amendola is a bad player or that he intended to hurt Flemming.. but the play itself was dangerous to both players.. unnecessarily so.

Any runner. Not just running backs

Mike in SW-MO
01-19-2016, 09:46 PM
Hard to believe that Amendola, an offensive player and a guy who's been injured over and over throughout his career would think this was ok?

I wonder how he would react if he was hit the same way while on offense??

Ah, but there is the distinction. The rules are designed to protect the offensive players.

Deberg_1990
01-19-2016, 10:16 PM
Ah, but there is the distinction. The rules are designed to protect the offensive players.

Yep. Good point

Pasta Little Brioni
01-19-2016, 10:40 PM

...and once again the Pat ball washers get absolutely owned. How pathetic they are.

Toby Waller
01-19-2016, 10:42 PM
...and once again the Pat ball washers get absolutely owned. How pathetic they are.

no..he just lost a contact and was busy looking for it

Pasta Little Brioni
01-19-2016, 10:54 PM
no..he just lost a contact and was busy looking for it

Due to atmospheric pressure. (What kind of moron would use an excuse like that)

Just Passin' By
01-20-2016, 01:26 AM
The penalty that was called was unnecessary roughness.

And no, the rule you posted doesn't address the situation I mentioned in my post where the block could come frome the front (not blindside) but still puts the player at significant risk.

Maybe you should go back and read it again. Perhaps I can find a crayon font to get it into your stupid ****ing head.

Yes, because it was supposedly a blindside tackle, which is why the mention of heading towards one's own goal.

And the 'situation' you mentioned isn't a penalty. There's no "He hit him too hard" penalty in that situation.

irocdave
01-20-2016, 01:30 AM
Sometimes I wonder if the league hasn't legalized bountygate in a weird sort of way with concussion protocol. You have a cheating Owner and his franchise with a head coach ready willing and able to cheat. He has his players that will do his bidding.

So now you have NFL Doctors roving around looking for players a little goofy. Off you go to sideline for evaluations then possibly to locker room for further testing. This can eat better than a quarter away for a player that can go back into the game. If said cheaters get lucky your out of the game maybe a few more.

Now back to the cheating organization who knows coming into the game opponent is banged up in secondary, Linebacking and O line. Hey why not have your players take the risk and headhunt because cheating owner will just pay players fine with no repercussions hell Godell is his bud . Banged up secondary with game plan to spread us out throw slants win win.

May sound far fetched but anything is possible with NE. This is the thing with cheaters once proven you will always be suspect and worthless cheats. But those East coast values don't mean nothing Championships are everything.

End rant.

That right there is what the Rams have perfected. 3 weeks ago they targeted a Seahawk tight end and ear holed him. 15 yards, great. Luke Willson was out for 3 weeks for that cheap shot.

Lets also not forget a certain Pats receiver who obviously got his bell rung in last years SB but stayed in the game. Then their was that D lineman that was on the other team playing the team known as cheaters, that "might" have had a concussion and left the game for testing. The Pats abused that system in the biggest game of this past February.

My take is Amendola should have been suspended a game for that weak cheap shot.

threebag
01-20-2016, 05:59 AM
Amendola is a piece of shit. Should be suspended.

loochy
01-20-2016, 08:07 AM
Amendola is a piece of shit. Should be suspended.

Was Amendola on the field while the Pats were running out the clock at the end of the game?

Someone should have just ran up and speared him out of nowhere.

jspchief
01-22-2016, 05:10 PM
Amendola fined. Eat shit.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/690520640454049792

Patriots WR Danny Amendola said he received notice of a fine from the NFL for his hit on Chiefs CB Jamell Fleming. He plans to appeal.

01-22-2016, 05:53 PM
Amendola fined. Eat shit.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/690520640454049792

Patriots WR Danny Amendola said he received notice of a fine from the NFL for his hit on Chiefs CB Jamell Fleming. He plans to appeal.

He is a Patriot so they will let him off.

ClevelandBronco
01-22-2016, 05:58 PM
He is a Patriot so they will let him off.

Dezman Moses was ordered to pay the fine for Amendola.

Dayze
01-22-2016, 06:08 PM
or it'll be some piddly fine compared to what he actually makes.

Like me getting fined $10 for being late for work or something of the like.

Wilson8
01-23-2016, 09:56 AM
Danny Amendola fined for hit on Jamell Fleming

Posted by Josh Alper on January 22, 2016, 10:43 AM EST

FOXBORO, MA - JANUARY 16: Jamell Fleming #30 of the Kansas City Chiefs is hit by Danny Amendola #80 of the New England Patriots in the second quarter during the AFC Divisional Playoff Game at Gillette Stadium on January 16, 2016 in Foxboro, Massachusetts. (Photo by Elsa/Getty Images)
Getty Images

Patriots head coach Bill Belichick said that Danny Amendola’s block on Chiefs cornerback Jamell Fleming while Fleming was attempting to down a punt in last Saturday’s game was a “legal play,” but the officials disagreed.

Amendola, who opted not to field the punt as the punt returner, was penalized for unnecessary roughness on the play. The league also disagreed with Belichick’s assessment.

Mike Reiss of ESPN.com reports that Amendola said Friday that the league informed him that he has been fined for the hit. He didn’t disclose the amount of the fine, but the NFL’s schedule of fines for the season calls for a $23,152 fine for an illegal hit on a defenseless player.

Amedola said early in the week that he would appeal any fine for the hit and repeated that vow on Friday.

Dezman Moses fined $17,363 for roughing the passer
Posted by Josh Alper on January 22, 2016, 5:24 PM EST

FOXBORO, MA - JANUARY 16: Danny Amendola #80 of the New England Patriots shoves Dezman Moses #54 of the Kansas City Chiefs after a play in the second quarter during the AFC Divisional Playoff Game at Gillette Stadium on January 16, 2016 in Foxboro, Massachusetts. (Photo by Elsa/Getty Images)
Getty Images

Patriots wide receiver Danny Amendola isn’t the only player who drew a fine as a result of a penalty they committed in last weekend’s divisional playoff game.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Chiefs linebacker Dezman Moses drew a $17,363 fine after drawing a roughing the passer penalty in the loss to the Patriots.

Moses picked up the penalty in the second quarter of the game for hitting Patriots quarterback Tom Brady late on an incompletion to Brandon LaFell. The penalty moved the Patriots into the red zone and Brady would sneak the ball into the end zone a few plays later to give the Patriots a 14-3 lead on their way to a 27-20 victory.

Moses and Amendola also scuffled with each other after Amendola’s block on Jamell Fleming during a punt play that led to his own fine, although neither was fined for that interaction.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/