PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Now we know: Reid called first half plays, Pederson second half

wazu
01-19-2016, 01:52 PM
Since Pittsburgh!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Pederson: He will call plays. Had been calling plays for the 2d half of Chiefs games since the Steelers game.</p>&mdash; Jeff McLane (@Jeff_McLane) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jeff_McLane/status/689529231680806912">January 19, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

wazu
01-19-2016, 01:53 PM
This is going to warrant some analysis.

MIAdragon
01-19-2016, 01:55 PM
That makes zero sense, zero.

Coochie liquor
01-19-2016, 01:57 PM
So Pederson fucked us on the last drive?

DaFace
01-19-2016, 01:57 PM

Especially since we've sucked ass in the 2nd half recently, so this would be a pretty clear indicator that his playcalling sucks balls.

Chief Northman
01-19-2016, 01:58 PM
Before everyone freaks out and points to how our second half offensive production over the winning streak was better than first half production - remember this:

Reid scripts a lot of plays. This is done purposefully to get a feel for defensive tendency so in order to be able to make effective adjustments in the 2nd half. I know many are wanting to lambaste Reid for the clock management debacle this past weekend (and his general tendency to be poor at it), but that debacle may have been more on Pederson than Reid if true. You could see Smith's frustrations with how long it was taking to get plays in....

wazu
01-19-2016, 01:59 PM
So Pederson fucked us on the last drive?

Yes, Philly media asked and he confirmed. I'm actually more interested in comparing results throughout the full season and postseason.

wazu
01-19-2016, 02:00 PM
Before everyone freaks out and points to how our second half offensive production over the winning streak was better than first half production - remember this:

Reid scripts a lot of plays. This is done purposefully to get a feel for defensive tendency so in order to be able to make effective adjustments in the 2nd half. I know many are wanting to lambaste Reid for the clock management debacle this past weekend (and his general tendency to be poor at it), but that debacle may have been more on Pederson than Reid if true. You could see Smith's frustrations with how long it was taking to get plays in....

Good points. I'm still interested in comparing, but it does require some context.

xztop123
01-19-2016, 02:05 PM
There should be a no-huddle offense installed. Especially for blowout games where we are down 2 + touchdowns late in the game.

I have yet to ever see the team operate in no huddle since Reid has arrived.

xztop123
01-19-2016, 02:06 PM
Also our opening drive offense seems to be very good. I'd bet it's one of the best in the league

The Franchise
01-19-2016, 02:08 PM
So was Doug Pederson holding back our offense?

Chief Northman
01-19-2016, 02:09 PM

Not really.
I've been part of coaching staffs where we had coordinators/play callers up top (booth) during the first half to get a better view/perspective of what opponent's are trying to do with personnel/formations based on what we scripted. Other coaches track tendency. At half, we would meet, discuss a few key considerations and tendencies, then the coordinator would be down on the sideline to not only call plays, but be present to reinforce the adjustments and technique considerations for the players.....

I am not saying the situation is similar, but, Reid could be setting up his offensive staff to track tendency through his scripted calls. Pederson could be the guy who analyzes the defensive tendency and then generates/decides on the best matchups/plays to use moving forward once situational defensive looks have been tested or revealed.

Quesadilla Joe
01-19-2016, 02:10 PM
I didn't check yards or how many points were from the defense/ST's but...

1st half points scored since the Pitt game- 162
2nd half points scored since the Pitt game- 132

Bowser
01-19-2016, 02:11 PM
That's.....strange

DaneMcCloud
01-19-2016, 02:15 PM
So was Doug Pederson holding back our offense?

If this is true, then absolutely.

How many times this season did the offense coming out firing on all cylinders in the first half, only to crawl into a shell of conservatism in the second half?

The Franchise
01-19-2016, 02:23 PM
Offense only points

vs. Steelers
1st half - 6 points
2nd half - 14 points

vs. Lions
1st half - 24 points
2nd half - 21 points

vs. Broncos
1st half - 19 points
2nd half - 10 points

vs. Chargers
1st half - 13 points
2nd half - 14 points

vs. Bills
1st half - 14 points
2nd half - 16 points

vs. Raiders
1st half - 7 points
2nd half - 21 points

vs. Chargers
1st half - 10 points
2nd half - 0 points

vs. Ravens
1st half - 17 points
2nd half - 3 points

vs. Browns
1st half - 17 points
2nd half - 0 points

vs. Raiders
1st half - 14 points
2nd half - 7 points

1st half total - 141
2nd half total - 106

ChiliConCarnage
01-19-2016, 02:25 PM
It seemed like our first drive offense was typically good. I assumed a lot of that was a set of scripted plays.

If you took out the first drive I suppose that'd skew the numbers a bit.

The Franchise
01-19-2016, 02:29 PM
So the question is.....

Will Childress take over that role? Will he be calling plays in the 2nd half or will all of the playcalling revert back to Reid?

salame
01-19-2016, 02:31 PM
i call bs

DaneMcCloud
01-19-2016, 02:32 PM
i call bs

So Doug Pederson is lying at his introductory press conference in Philly?

salame
01-19-2016, 02:34 PM
So Doug Pederson is lying at his introductory press conference in Philly?

it's a very tough thing to disprove

srvy
01-19-2016, 02:35 PM
Yes, Philly media asked and he confirmed. I'm actually more interested in comparing results throughout the full season and postseason.

He wanted to get that head coach contract signed sooner than later. The league office needs to shut this down till after super bowl. We don't know what goes on with these coaches. They could be in financial desperation getting a contract rolling with head coach money is enticing. Not to mention loss of focus know these aren't your guys anymore. I think Luria sent Andy and the Chiefs a giant FU.

Quesadilla Joe
01-19-2016, 02:38 PM
It seemed like our first drive offense was typically good. I assumed a lot of that was a set of scripted plays.

If you took out the first drive I suppose that'd skew the numbers a bit.

They scored 51 points on their opening drive since the Pitt game.

DaneMcCloud
01-19-2016, 02:45 PM

So you believe that Doug Pederson blatantly lied in his very first press conference?

salame
01-19-2016, 02:46 PM
So you believe that Doug Pederson blatantly lied in his very first press conference?

Do you not find it coincidental?

DaneMcCloud
01-19-2016, 02:48 PM

What?

The fact that the points decreased in the second half? That the Chiefs became more conservative in the second half?

Frosty
01-19-2016, 02:52 PM
If this is true - "ha ha, Philly".

DJ's left nut
01-19-2016, 02:52 PM

Lied to his detriment, no less.

I'd imagine that yards per play, total yards and pretty much all things offensive were worse in the 2nd half than the first over that time period.

If Pederson was lying, he wasn't helping himself.

I suspect he wasn't.

DaneMcCloud
01-19-2016, 02:54 PM
Lied to his detriment, no less.

I'd imagine that yards per play, total yards and pretty much all things offensive were worse in the 2nd half than the first over that time period.

If Pederson was lying, he wasn't helping himself.

I suspect he wasn't.

Exactly.

If he was going to lie about playcalling, why not claim that he called the first half plays and Andy called the second half?

ChiefGator
01-19-2016, 02:56 PM

More causal than coincidental I think.

Bowser
01-19-2016, 02:58 PM
I can't get around the thought of Andy and Pederson thinking it would be a good idea to split playcalling duties up between them. I could kind of understand it better if one guy was the running game coordinator and the other was the passing game coordinator, I guess. This just sounds like one massive clusterfuck that was not beneficial at all.

I just chuckled at the thought of Marty and Gunther splitting up defensive playcalling duties between them for the halves.

DaneMcCloud
01-19-2016, 03:00 PM
I can't get around the thought of Andy and Pederson thinking it would be a good idea to split playcalling duties up between them. I could kind of understand it better if one guy was the running game coordinator and the other was the passing game coordinator, I guess. This just sounds like one massive clusterfuck that was not beneficial at all.

I just chuckled at the thought of Marty and Gunther splitting up defensive playcalling duties between them for the halves.

My guess would be that giving up the play calling duties during the second half would theoretically allow Andy to focus on the entire team and his head coaching responsibilities.

BossChief
01-19-2016, 03:02 PM
It seems the relationship between Pederson and Reid has taken a shift.

First Andy handed over some playcalling
Next, Andy grants permission to Philly to interview Pedersen
Next it leaks that Pederson got the job a few days before the teams divisional round playoff game (I'm sure Andy didn't appreciate that)
Next Pederson leaks that he wants Childress for his OC
Next we hear Andy told him he can't have permission to take any coaches with him
Next Pederson reveals strategy while he was at KC...

mcaj22
I told you guys Pederson sucked and Philly sucks.

They will be a horrible team next year.

Bowser
My guess would be that giving up the play calling duties during the second half would theoretically allow Andy to focus on the entire team and his head coaching responsibilities.

Yeah, I suppose. But if Andy can't do both for the entirety of the game, then he SHOULDN'T do both. Let Childress call the plays unless he shows he has no feel for it and let Andy focus on the whole team.

mcaj22
01-19-2016, 03:05 PM
It seems the relationship between Pederson and Reid has taken a shift.

First Andy handed over some playcalling
Next, Andy grants permission to Philly to interview Pedersen
Next it leaks that Pederson got the job a few days before the teams divisional round playoff game (I'm sure Andy didn't appreciate that)
Next Pederson leaks that he wants Childress for his OC
Next we hear Andy told him he can't have permission to take any coaches with him
Next Pederson reveals strategy while he was at KC...

Seems there was a gentlemans handshake between KC and Philly for Pederson as long as they (Philly) didn't try to poach anyone else from the staff.

I guess Philly tried to pull a fast one and poach at least Chilly, warranting the Chiefs to promote him so they could block. They can block lateral coaching positions, as long as it's not a promotion on the Eagles to a better position.

I'm personally getting sick of the Eagles, they wanted nothing to do with this regime 3 years ago, and now they want everything to do with it, are in the Chiefs business and as far as I'm concerned can go pound sand.

wazu
01-19-2016, 03:06 PM
It felt like we ran the ball a lot more in the second half than in previous years. I'm a little concerned we will lose that now, and go back to Andy throwing it all over and giving the opponent more possessions.

ChiefRocka
01-19-2016, 03:09 PM
Why?

mdchiefsfan
01-19-2016, 03:14 PM
Seems there was a gentlemans handshake between KC and Philly for Pederson as long as they (Philly) didn't try to poach anyone else from the staff.

I guess Philly tried to pull a fast one and poach at least Chilly, warranting the Chiefs to promote him so they could block. They can block lateral coaching positions, as long as it's not a promotion on the Eagles to a better position.

I'm personally getting sick of the Eagles, they wanted nothing to do with this regime 3 years ago, and now they want everything to do with it, are in the Chiefs business and as far as I'm concerned can go pound sand.

There are only assistant coaches and head coaches. Chilly moved laterally, he was not promoted.

BossChief
01-19-2016, 03:15 PM

The eagles didn't want Chilly, Pederson did.

Also, a team doesn't have to do that stuff to block teams from hiring their assistants anymore...even for coordinator jobs.

The only permission they need to grant is for a HC position.

jspchief
01-19-2016, 03:17 PM
What would his motive be?

mcaj22
01-19-2016, 03:18 PM
The eagles didn't want Chilly, Pederson did.

Also, a team doesn't have to do that stuff to block teams from hiring their assistants anymore...even for coordinator jobs.

The only permission they need to grant is for a HC position.

when did that change? I figure that's why there was a co-promotion to OC. Two guys is pretty rare.

jd1020
01-19-2016, 03:21 PM
6 first half points.

BossChief
01-19-2016, 03:27 PM
when did that change? I figure that's why there was a co-promotion to OC. Two guys is pretty rare.

The new cba, I think.

MikeMaslowski
01-19-2016, 03:27 PM
Boss posted this in another thread but it fits here. DP explaining the reasoning and confirming he was the play caller.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000625398/article/pederson-explains-chiefs-clockburning-drive-vs-pats

rabblerouser
01-19-2016, 03:32 PM

At that point, a real NFL QB would have taken the game over himself and started calling his own plays.

I also saw on twitter that the Chiefs had headset problems in Foxboro. Go figure.

listopencil
01-19-2016, 03:34 PM

Vance Joseph was the Cinci DB coach when the Broncos requested permission to talk to him. They couldn't block a HC interview but they did block a DC interview, and we ended up with Wade Phillips instead.

listopencil
01-19-2016, 03:36 PM
At that point, a real NFL QB would have taken the game over himself and started calling his own plays.

I also saw on twitter that the Chiefs had headset problems in Foxboro. Go figure.

Remember Grbc standing around waiting for the play from Marty? I think Gannon would have just called his own plays. It's not the exact same situation but it's similar.

Iowanian
01-19-2016, 03:49 PM
Find whichever one thinks Trips Right, WR Screen is a good play call and punch him in the FUPA!

That shit never works and whichever one calls it every damn game is a tongue chewing, booger eater.

DJ's left nut
01-19-2016, 04:02 PM
Find whichever one thinks Trips Right, WR Screen is a good play call and punch him in the FUPA!

That shit never works and whichever one calls it every damn game is a tongue chewing, booger eater.

With as badly as the Pats struggled against bunch formations it actually might have worked against them.

So of course it was pretty much absent from the gameplan...

Hammock Parties
01-19-2016, 04:06 PM
Chiefs first/second-half offensive pts by game since Pittsburgh (includes Pitt):

9/14
24/21
19/10
12/14
14/16
7/21
10/0
17/3
17/0
14/7
6/17
6/14

Average: 12.9/11.4

temper11
01-19-2016, 04:07 PM
If this is true, then absolutely.

How many times this season did the offense coming out firing on all cylinders in the first half, only to crawl into a shell of conservatism in the second half?

Part of that though is also playing with the lead.

Mr. Laz
01-19-2016, 04:29 PM
Pederson took the blame for what happened -- or at least explained his reasoning. He said he was sharing play-calling duties with Chiefs coach Andy Reid earlier in the game before being handed the reins in the second half.

"I'll even go back a little bit further. I was able to call plays really since the Pittsburgh game -- if you followed the Kansas City Chiefs -- from the Pittsburgh game on," he said. "Coach Reid and I had a great understanding, a great feel for the game. He allowed me to call the second half of every football game from that Steeler game on. The second half of our playoff game the other night, I had the second half."

FloridaMan88
01-19-2016, 04:35 PM
Wouldn't it just be easier to have one playcaller, calling plays through the entire game?

Preferably a playcaller who is not named Andy Reid?

I don't understand why Andy Reid is making this so difficult.

rtmike
01-19-2016, 04:41 PM
With as badly as the Pats struggled against bunch formations it actually might have worked against them.

So of course it was pretty much absent from the gameplan...

Isn't that Haley's favorite play?

I thought I remember reading a Chiefs defender saying something similar the 1st time Pitt & KC played when Haley was OC.

Brock
01-19-2016, 04:45 PM
Actually the only interview teams can't block is for head coach.

OnTheWarpath15
01-19-2016, 05:15 PM
I'm wondering why the fuck Andy was letting Pederson do anything in the playoffs, considering we scored a whopping TEN offensive points in the second halves of our last four regular season games.

The second half offense was a trainwreck leading into the playoffs.

DaneMcCloud
01-19-2016, 05:17 PM
I'm wondering why the fuck Andy was letting Pederson do anything in the playoffs, considering we scored a whopping TEN offensive points in the second halves of our last four regular season games.

The second half offense was a trainwreck leading into the playoffs.

To help him get a HC gig?

Seriously, that's the only reason that even makes sense.

OnTheWarpath15
01-19-2016, 05:21 PM

Talk about gross negligence.

Everyone wants to talk about how big and bad this team is, but we were potentially two plays away from being 9-7 and missing the playoffs completely because we couldn't score in the second half of games down the stretch, and left the defense to clean up the mess.

The more I think about Andy - his days in Philly and what we've witnessed in three seasons in KC - Dorsey's going to have to assemble one of the greatest rosters of all time to keep this fuckwit from jamming everything up each gameday.

philfree
01-19-2016, 06:06 PM

It worked and he didn't have to fire him. Makes good sense to me.

scho63
01-19-2016, 06:38 PM
So Pederson ****ed us on the last drive?

That was my first thought! :clap:

Second thought was he SUCKS as a playcaller because we have been horrible in second half of games.

mikeyis4dcats.
01-19-2016, 06:41 PM
Second half of each game, or second half of the season?

Deberg_1990
01-19-2016, 06:42 PM
Well, Bye

HemiEd
01-19-2016, 06:59 PM
damn

MahiMike
01-19-2016, 07:10 PM
That's why Andy 'recommended ' him to philly.

Mr. Laz
01-19-2016, 07:14 PM
It worked and he didn't have to fire him. Makes good sense to me.

so let's just put our season into hands of a guy you want to fire but are too big a pussy to do it? You want to fire him because he's not any good presumably, so let him trash our playoff game on the way out?

so much sense.

Mr. Laz
01-19-2016, 07:15 PM
Second half of each game, or second half of the season?
second half of each game since the pittsburgh game

Allegedly

Doesn't fucking matter, Reid is still "in charge" and responsible

BigMeatballDave
01-19-2016, 07:17 PM
Talk about gross negligence.

Everyone wants to talk about how big and bad this team is, but we were potentially two plays away from being 9-7 and missing the playoffs completely

That's how this game goes sometimes. Goes both ways.

Week2 vs Denver, take a turnover away and the Chiefs have the 1 seed.

srvy
01-19-2016, 07:20 PM
Could be Pederson just fell on the sword for his old mentor. He didn't say any of this till the ink dried on his new contract.

wazu
01-19-2016, 07:23 PM
Could be Pederson just fell on the sword for his old mentor. He didn't say any of this till the ink dried on his new contract.

Nah, I think Andy and him were both culpable. The last thing he would want to do is introduce himself to his new city and team by taking responsibility for a screw up that wasn't his.

philfree
01-19-2016, 07:24 PM
so let's just put our season into hands of a guy you want to fire but are too big a pussy to do it? You want to fire him because he's not any good presumably, so let him trash our playoff game on the way out?

so much sense.

No I really think Andy thought he was ready and gave him room to grow. And then he helped get him a HC job. I'm not sure it's that big of deal at this point unless you hate Andy Reid.

Mr. Laz
01-19-2016, 07:24 PM
Not at the risk of his own reputation in a new city who will turn on him in about 1.5 seconds.

Mr. Laz
01-19-2016, 07:27 PM
No I really think Andy thought he was ready and gave him room to grow. And then he helped get him a HC job. I'm not sure it's that big of deal at this point unless you hate Andy Reid.
It's a big deal since he did the same thing in a playoff game after Pederson had gotten his job already.

makes no sense unless you are looking for any excuse you can find

makes no different, Andy Reid is responsible for the plays regardless of whoever calls them.

Reid is also responsible for the clock management, no Pederson

Hydrae
01-19-2016, 07:38 PM
Not really.
I've been part of coaching staffs where we had coordinators/play callers up top (booth) during the first half to get a better view/perspective of what opponent's are trying to do with personnel/formations based on what we scripted. Other coaches track tendency. At half, we would meet, discuss a few key considerations and tendencies, then the coordinator would be down on the sideline to not only call plays, but be present to reinforce the adjustments and technique considerations for the players.....

I am not saying the situation is similar, but, Reid could be setting up his offensive staff to track tendency through his scripted calls. Pederson could be the guy who analyzes the defensive tendency and then generates/decides on the best matchups/plays to use moving forward once situational defensive looks have been tested or revealed.

So the comparison should be between the second half of games before and after Pittsburgh. Should be more balanced than comparing first and second halves.

mikeyis4dcats.
01-19-2016, 07:41 PM
second half of each game since the pittsburgh game

Allegedly

Doesn't ****ing matter, Reid is still "in charge" and responsible

I think the quote could be intended either way. It would make more sense my way

Psyko Tek
01-19-2016, 08:16 PM
Boss posted this in another thread but it fits here. DP explaining the reasoning and confirming he was the play caller.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000625398/article/pederson-explains-chiefs-clockburning-drive-vs-pats

this just fucks up everything I have believed for the last 2 years, sorry Andy

stevieray
01-19-2016, 08:23 PM
I can't believe I'm a head coach...soon cool...oh shit ! Play clock is down to 10.....uhhhhhhhh.

Brock
01-19-2016, 08:26 PM
It's a big deal since he did the same thing in a playoff game after Pederson had gotten his job already.

makes no sense unless you are looking for any excuse you can find

makes no different, Andy Reid is responsible for the plays regardless of whoever calls them.

Reid is also responsible for the clock management, no Pederson

^

rabblerouser
01-19-2016, 09:05 PM

so much sense.

Why would Andy care??

He still gets paid.

jd1020
01-19-2016, 11:16 PM
I think the quote could be intended either way. It would make more sense my way

If it were meant to be taken as 2nd half of the season he simply could have just said since the Steelers game and completely omitted the "2d half of Chiefs games" part.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
01-19-2016, 11:42 PM
Philly must be feeling the buyer's remorse right now. Ouch.