PDA

View Full Version : Football Former NFL receiver Antwaan Randle El regrets ever playing football

DaKCMan AP
01-20-2016, 06:58 AM
Former NFL receiver Antwaan Randle El regrets ever playing football

Former Washington Redskins and Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Antwaan Randle El is perhaps best remembered for his 43-yard touchdown pass in Super Bowl XL that aided a Pittsburgh win over Seattle, but a decade later, the physical and mental drawbacks have been so significant that he regrets ever playing in the NFL.

“If I could go back, I wouldn’t” play football, he told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (http://newsinteractive.post-gazette.com/10toBen/) in a Steelers-themed project posted Tuesday. “I would play baseball. I got drafted by the Cubs in the 14th round, but I didn’t play baseball because of my parents. They made me go to school. Don’t get me wrong, I love the game of football. But right now, I could still be playing baseball.”

Randle El, who played in Washington from 2006 to 2009 between two stints in Pittsburgh, said he regularly experiences trouble walking down stairs — “I have to come down sideways sometimes, depending on the day” — and has serious memory lapses.

“I ask my wife things over and over again, and she’s like, ‘I just told you that,’ ” Randle El told the Post-Gazette. “I’ll ask her three times the night before and get up in the morning and forget. Stuff like that. I try to chalk it up as I’m busy, I’m doing a lot, but I have to be on my knees praying about it, asking God to allow me to not have these issues and live a long life. I want to see my kids raised up. I want to see my grandkids.”

In 2013, Randle El and three other former players filed a lawsuit against the NFL in a Manhattan federal court alleging the NFL “has done everything in its power to hide the issues and mislead players concerning the risks associated with concussions,” according to The Village Voice. (http://www.villagevoice.com/news/a-legal-hail-mary-might-throw-the-nfls-765-million-concussion-settlement-for-a-loss-6440377) In 2015, after that suit was consolidated with more than 2,000 others, he was one of more than 5,000 players that received more than $900 million in settlement money from the NFL to resolve a concussion lawsuit. (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiM0Yi_x7bKAhWCmh4KHfaVBBQQFgggMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.washingtonpost.com%2Fnews%2Fearly-lead%2Fwp%2F2015%2F04%2F22%2Fjudge-approves-plan-for-landmark-nfl-concussion-settlement%2F&usg=AFQjCNEVyxaV_PWcBJcgm9oJq99ISse13Q&sig2=CLRS365ZlLbv-YlTEx9G-Q)

Since retiring in 2010, Randle El helped to found the Virginia Academy, a Christian high school in Ashburn, where he serves as the school’s athletic director. Originally, he was a proponent for the development of a football program at the school, but he has no remorse after it was cut two years in when it became too expensive.

“The kids are getting bigger and faster, so the concussions, the severe spinal cord injuries, are only going to get worse,” he said in the interview. “It’s a tough pill to swallow because I love the game of football. But I tell parents, ‘You can have the right helmet, the perfect pads on, and still end up with a paraplegic kid.’

“There’s no correcting it. There’s no helmet that’s going to correct it. There’s no teaching that’s going to correct it. It just comes down to it’s a physically violent game. Football players are in a car wreck every week.”

Randle El is not naive to the profitability of the sport or the impact it has on society, but with the concussion and life-long injury issues getting more attention than ever before, the nine-year veteran thinks the end may be near.

“Right now, I wouldn’t be surprised if football isn’t around in 20, 25 years.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/01/19/former-nfl-receiver-antwaan-randle-el-regrets-ever-playing-football/
<object data-extension-version="0.4.0.129" data-install-updates-user-configuration="true" id="__symantecPKIClientMessenger" style="display: none;"></object><object data-extension-version="0.4.0.129" data-install-updates-user-configuration="true" id="__symantecPKIClientMessenger" style="display: none;"></object>

loochy
01-20-2016, 08:26 AM
“I ask my wife things over and over again, and she’s like, ‘I just told you that,’

yeah I do that too, and I didn't play football

it happens when you are married

Coochie liquor
01-20-2016, 08:28 AM
yeah I do that too, and I didn't play football

it happens when you are married

Me too... Because I got high

Iowanian
01-20-2016, 09:09 AM
I understand these guys take a beating, but I'm so over their whining.

There is a club for all of the men who only hear or remember half of the things our wives say...it's called "Everyone".

Football players make big money in relatively short careers, and often suffer injuries that cause them pain in later life.
....So do Construction workers, iron workers, Deep sea welders(lung issues from gas), rodeo cowboys, ranchers, farmers, factory workers with repetitive motion injuries....and they do it for far less money and work far more years.

Your dream was to play in the NFL. You've made at a minimum hundreds of thousands of dollars for a single season in the league.

I know a shitload of people who have trouble getting out of bed in the morning, or have knees or backs that cause them problems.

I didn't play in the NFL and my hands swell, I've had knee surgeries and get swelling often, have had broken bones and back injuries that make some days pretty rough to get moving. So do a lot of other people and they're still going to work every day at 60 years old.

Stop bitching.

loochy
01-20-2016, 09:11 AM

Football players make big money in relatively short careers, and often suffer injuries that cause them pain in later life.
There is a club for all of the men who only hear or remember half of the things our wives say...it's called "Everyone".

....So do Construction workers, iron workers, Deep sea welders(lung issues from gas), rodeo cowboys, ranchers, farmers, factory workers with repetitive motion injuries....and they do it for far less money and work far more years.

Your dream was to play in the NFL. You've made at a minimum hundreds of thousands of dollars for a single season in the league.

I know a shitload of people who have trouble getting out of bed in the morning, or have knees or backs that cause them problems.

I didn't play in the NFL and my hands swell, I've had knee surgeries and get swelling often, have had broken bones and back injuries that make some days pretty rough to get moving. So do a lot of other people and they're still going to work every day at 60 years old.

Stop bitching.

Seriously

Don't act like you JUST NOW figured out that repeatedly getting hit in the head might cause some problems

Iowanian
01-20-2016, 09:15 AM
I should go take a video of the old guy who owns our local feed store. He's probably outside shoveling snow or something right now. He looks like a gold mine collapsed on him and still works every day. Guy can't stand halfway straight up, looks like the letter r and still works in his 70s.

Most of the NFL players bitching about how terrible they had it, are doing so from a golf course somewhere warm, living in nice homes, and are basically retired by age 40.

BlackHelicopters
01-20-2016, 09:17 AM
Front page even

KC_Lee
01-20-2016, 09:29 AM
I should go take a video of the old guy who owns our local feed store. He's probably outside shoveling snow or something right now. He looks like a gold mine collapsed on him and still works every day. Guy can't stand halfway straight up, looks like the letter r and still works in his 70s.

Most of the NFL players bitching about how terrible they had it, are doing so from a golf course somewhere warm, living in nice homes, and are basically retired by age 40.

I was thinking the same thing. There's men out there who have worked harder jobs, for less pay, and for more years that have physical issues. Hell, go talk to a waitress with arthritis in most of her (or his) joints carrying endless trays of food.

Or how about the family of 4 (mom, dad and two kids) that are trying to make ends meet and working 4 jobs? Think they have some physical issues or total exhaustion?

No saying the NFL isn't a physical league with former players having long lasting issues but get over yourself. There are everyday people that deal with this stuff too.

To quote the immortal Tyler Durden; "You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. "

BigRedChief
01-20-2016, 10:07 AM
I'm glad my son gave up football now. Pissed me off back then. His teammates got 22 football scholarships. He was only a sophomore but he was starting to show Division 1 talent. He wanted to do something with his brain. He's currently working towards a masters in Physics. Wants to to scientific research. He's probably going to have a better life from that choice.

ChiefsCountry
01-20-2016, 10:07 AM
He is pissed because baseball players make more.

Chromatic
01-20-2016, 10:38 AM

I imagine he's doing that because he has to and can't afford to retire. If not, 99% of the people in his position are doing it out of necessity than out of pure work ethic.

Also, pointing out something else and saying "bu-but this guy over here is worse!" doesn't really cut it. Brain damage and CTE is a very real thing among people who have played football and when they're finding CTE among dead high school players, you know it's a problem that should be studied further.

Beef Supreme
01-20-2016, 10:41 AM
I imagine he's doing that because he has to and can't afford to retire. If not, 99% of the people in his position are doing it out of necessity than out of pure work ethic.

Also, pointing out something else and saying "bu-but this guy over here is worse!" doesn't really cut it. Brain damage and CTE is a very real thing among people who have played football and when they're finding CTE among dead high school players, you know it's a problem that should be studied further.

Well, no shit he's doing it because he can't afford to retire. I think you missed the point.

Chromatic
01-20-2016, 10:42 AM
Don't bitch because some people have it worse isn't really a good point, imo.

Beef Supreme
01-20-2016, 10:44 AM

I think it's an excellent point.

loochy
01-20-2016, 10:47 AM

so we can't whine about andy reid or the chiefs or axl smiff because browns?

Chromatic
01-20-2016, 10:47 AM
I think it's an excellent point.

100% disagree but hey, this is america. You're allowed to be wrong.

brb heading to st. judes to tell the sick kids there that they're not allowed to feel upset because a bunch of children in africa starved to death yesterday so no bitching!

Chromatic
01-20-2016, 10:49 AM
so we can't whine about andy reid or the chiefs or axl smiff because browns?

When did I say that? I'm pretty sure I'm arguing for the opposite of that.

loochy
100% disagree but hey, this is america. You're allowed to be wrong.

brb heading to st. judes to tell the sick kids there that they're not allowed to feel upset because a bunch of children in africa starved to death yesterday so no bitching!

but did the sick kids knowingly make themselves sick in the pursuit of millions of dollars?

loochy
When did I say that? I'm pretty sure I'm arguing for the opposite of that.

im just throwing stuff

Beef Supreme
01-20-2016, 10:50 AM
95% of the world or more have it worse than this guy. Oh, woe is me. I forget to do shit and have to ask my wife. Welcome to the human race.

Chromatic
01-20-2016, 10:51 AM
but did the sick kids knowingly make themselves sick in the pursuit of millions of dollars?

Dude was drafted in 2002. The concussion stuff, CTE, dementia, memory loss and all that wasn't even a thing that was known by most of society yet.

loochy
01-20-2016, 10:52 AM
Dude was drafted in 2002. The concussion stuff, CTE, dementia, memory loss and all that wasn't even a thing that was known by most of society yet.

:rolleyes:

yes, people knew that getting hit in the head over and over messes you up

people have known that for a LONG time

CoMoChief
01-20-2016, 10:59 AM
I dont feel sorry for them at all.

headsnap
01-20-2016, 11:00 AM
Regrets, everyone has them...

KCUnited
01-20-2016, 11:01 AM
Smoking cigarettes is linked to cancer.
This pill is linked to [insert list of specific side effects].
Playing football may "cause some problems".

I don't feel sorry for anyone, but there's nothing wrong with continuing research to let people know as much as possible about what they may be getting into.

DaneMcCloud
01-20-2016, 11:01 AM
:rolleyes:

yes, people knew that getting hit in the head over and over messes you up

people have known that for a LONG time

I don't think that people knew to what extent is damages the brain.

There's a big difference between guys that played from the 1920 to the late 1980's. The speed, strength and mass were completely different than from around 1990-to present due to nutrition, training, performance enhancing drugs and salaries.

Salaries play the biggest role because guys are no longer required to sell insurance or work on the farm or any other financially motivated work because their earning cover them for a year (or more).

I don't think that Randle-El is "whining". I think he's stating that with the full information (which the NFL withheld), he likely would have chosen baseball over football.

That's going to be a trend in coming years unless the NFL and NCAA don't make further changes to the game. It's going to become like boxing, which used to be America's favorite sport in which Heavyweight Championship Fights aired regularly on Network TV, to becoming a "fringe" sport.

Some see the writing on the wall, some don't. But when Super Bowl winning players are saying "I wish I hadn't played", that's a big problem for the sport.

FloridaMan88
01-20-2016, 11:02 AM
I'll bet the Washington Redskins wished he didn't play football either after wasting a big free agent contract on him.

Randle El probably currently has financial issues, and since he already went to the concussion gravy train once (with the concussion settlement), he is now looking for more sympathy money.

loochy
01-20-2016, 11:02 AM

There's a big difference between guys that played from the 1920 to the late 1980's. The speed, strength and mass were completely different than from around 1990-to present due to nutrition, training, performance enhancing drugs and salaries.

Salaries play the biggest role because guys are no longer required to sell insurance or work on the farm or any other financially motivated work because their earning cover them for a year (or more).

I don't think that Randle-El is "whining". I think he's stating that with the full information (which the NFL withheld), he likely would have chosen baseball over football.

That's going to be a trend in coming years unless the NFL and NCAA don't make further changes to the game. It's going to become like boxing, which used to be America's favorite sport in which Heavyweight Championship Fights aired regularly on Network TV, to becoming a "fringe" sport.

Some see the writing on the wall, some don't. But when Super Bowl winning players are saying "I wish I hadn't played", that's a big problem for the sport.

Ok, fair enough.

loochy
01-20-2016, 11:03 AM
Smoking cigarettes is linked to cancer.
This pill is linked to [insert list of specific side effects].
Playing football may "cause some problems".

I don't feel sorry for anyone, but there's nothing wrong with continuing research to let people know as much as possible about what they may be getting into.

Oh, absolutely not.

Skyy God
01-20-2016, 11:07 AM
As always, the "rub some dirt on it, you pussies" contingent of CP is coming in hot.

Beef Supreme
01-20-2016, 11:10 AM

And the guy who's been popping tongues at the meat packing plant for 20 years for 10 bucks an hour who can't open his hands anymore, I'm not seeing the outcry for research and rule changes there.

Skyy God
01-20-2016, 11:10 AM
I'll bet the Washington Redskins wished he didn't play football either after wasting a big free agent contract on him.

Randle El probably currently has financial issues, and since he already went to the concussion gravy train once (with the concussion settlement), he is now looking for more sympathy money.

If by sympathy money you mean monetary damages for injuries incurred due to the NFL's decade-long attempts to cover up the impact of football on the brain, then yes.

Skyy God
01-20-2016, 11:12 AM
And the guy who's been popping tongues at the meat packing plant for 20 years for 10 bucks an hour who can't open his hands anymore, I'm not seeing the outcry for research and rule changes there.

No one spends 3 hours on Sunday watching a meat cutter work.

FloridaMan88
01-20-2016, 11:15 AM
If by sympathy money, you mean monetary damages for injuries incurred due to the NFL's decade-long attempts to cover up the impact of football on the brain, then yes.

If Randle El had played baseball, getting drafted in the 14th round, he very likely would not have had the same financial earnings that he had in the NFL.

Also baseball isn't a risk free sport either. He could have taken a fastball to the face, blown out his knee, etc.

Chromatic
01-20-2016, 11:17 AM
Also baseball isn't a risk free sport either. He could have taken a fastball to the face, blown out his knee, etc.

Which are injuries absolutely in the same league as traumatic brain injuries and CTE.

Skyy God
01-20-2016, 11:18 AM
If Randle El had played baseball, getting drafted in the 14th round, he very likely would not have had the same financial earnings that he had in the NFL.

Albert Pujols went in the 13th.....

FloridaMan88
01-20-2016, 11:19 AM
Which are injuries absolutely in the same league as traumatic brain injuries and CTE.

Yeah getting hit in your head by a baseball going 100+ MPH doesn't cause traumatic brain injury.

ThaVirus
01-20-2016, 11:20 AM
CTE issues aside, it must be nice to have the athletic potential to play two different sports professionally.

Why Not?
01-20-2016, 11:21 AM

Stop bitching.

Yeah, I'm pretty over it. The NFL has done about all it can to safen up the game. Sucks these guys have debilitating injuries. No one from this point forth should say they weren't warned. Now STFU and play football or don't(guys from this point in history on)

Skyy God
01-20-2016, 11:21 AM
Also, your point is irrelevant in that he opted in to the class action and is already being paid.

The NFL had a terrible case, and they were lucky to settle for only $900M.

Chromatic
01-20-2016, 11:23 AM
Yeah getting hit in your head by a baseball going 100+ MPH doesn't cause traumatic brain injury.

Misread that srysrysry.

It does happen but not enough for it to become an epidemic among retired players who have memory problems, dementia, depression related to brain damage, etc.

Baby Lee
01-20-2016, 11:24 AM
Don't tell me he's boycotting the Oscars too. . .

Skyy God
01-20-2016, 11:25 AM
Don't tell me he's boycotting the Oscars too. . .

Nurse, 30 cc's of race injection, stat.

DaneMcCloud
01-20-2016, 11:26 AM

That's a ridiculous analogy.

That person had a choice. I'm sure that he/she had the option to go to junior college, to attend university, to do something other than work at a meat packing plant. WE ALL DO.

I played elementary, junior high and high school football. NEVER ONCE did anyone mention that you could get BRAIN DAMAGE from playing. No one. Broken bones, torn muscles, sprains, even paralysis but brain damage?

Nope.

You don't have to feel "sorry" for anyone. But I'm absolutely certain that armed with the information that we have today about CTE (in which the NFL willingly withheld), more and more people will choose NOT to play the game.

It's pretty simple.

Rain Man
01-20-2016, 11:27 AM
No one spends 3 hours on Sunday watching a meat cutter work.

Maybe they're just not marketing well enough.

I can see Randle El's point. If you can play both football and baseball, the smart move is to play baseball if you can handle the boredom. You'll play longer, make more money, and you're unlikely to ever suffer a significant injury. Football is far more fun and entertaining, but I too wonder if it'll exist in 25 years, at least in its current form.

DaneMcCloud
01-20-2016, 11:27 AM
The NFL has done about all it can to safen up the game.

LMAO

DenverChief
01-20-2016, 11:28 AM

LMAO. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-amxcRImBfys/VTGL-Q_CJzI/AAAAAAAAEV0/hAyca_oAKLE/s1600/EVEN.jpg

Marco Polo
01-20-2016, 11:29 AM
I'm actually surprised that some of these athletes aren't playing baseball. Longer careers, guaranteed contracts...it's just not as cool in younger culture but it is far more rewarding and better for your body.

Beef Supreme
01-20-2016, 11:30 AM

That person had a choice. I'm sure that he/she had the option to go to junior college, to attend university, to do something other than work at a meat packing plant. WE ALL DO.

I played elementary, junior high and high school football. NEVER ONCE did anyone mention that you could get BRAIN DAMAGE from playing. No one. Broken bones, torn muscles, sprains, even paralysis but brain damage?

Nope.

You don't have to feel "sorry" for anyone. But I'm absolutely certain that armed with the information that we have today about CTE (in which the NFL willingly withheld), more and more people will choose NOT to play the game.

It's pretty simple.

I'm sure Randle El had the opportunity to do something other than work at a NFL Football plant. WE ALL DO.

DaneMcCloud
01-20-2016, 11:30 AM
Football is far more fun and entertaining, but I too wonder if it'll exist in 25 years, at least in its current form.

I seriously doubt it will exist in its current form.

Personally, I think they need to go helmetless and adopt soccer's Red Card rules.

The game can still be exciting and fun without guys spearing, like we saw on Saturday, or guys getting serious head and neck injuries on the field.

People will still watch because there's no other sport like it in the world.

DaneMcCloud
01-20-2016, 11:31 AM
I'm sure Randle El had the opportunity to do something other than work at a NFL Football plant. WE ALL DO.

And had he known the implications of playing in the NFL, he would have chosen to play baseball.

Reading comprehension is your friend.

Chromatic
Football is far more fun and entertaining, but I too wonder if it'll exist in 25 years, at least in its current form.

It absolutely won't. I'm seeing more and more people saying they won't let their kids play football than ever before. The people I hear saying that seems to double every year.

They'll have to change since the participation and talent pool is already starting to decline.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/page/popwarner/pop-warner-youth-football-participation-drops-nfl-concussion-crisis-seen-causal-factor

KCUnited
Takes a lot of years, if ever, to get paid in baseball.

Baby Lee
01-20-2016, 11:36 AM
If by sympathy money you mean monetary damages for injuries incurred due to the NFL's decade-long attempts to cover up the impact of football on the brain, then yes.

I'm perfectly on board with people expressing regret over the toll their profession took on their body. But this 'gimme money for trying to cover up' shit is specious. It right up there with 'I believed cigarette makers when they said cigarettes were good for me.'

We have a societal interest in rooting out fraud wherever it occurs [doctoring groundwater purity results, asbestos, investment decisions], but when you come to premises as obvious as 'inhaling smoke might hurt your lungs' and 'banging your head around all day every day might hurt your brain' the obviousness of the risk outweighs the nefariousness of denial.

Beef Supreme
01-20-2016, 11:38 AM
And had he known the implications of playing in the NFL, he would have chosen to play baseball.

I comprehend just fine. He would have chosen baseball, probably never sniffed the majors, and still be asking his wife wtf she just said.

Or, he still would have played football, because, let's face it, that's probably what he would do.

Rain Man
01-20-2016, 11:38 AM
It absolutely won't. I'm seeing more and more people saying they won't let their kids play football than ever before. The people I hear saying that seems to double every year.

They'll have to change since the participation and talent pool is already starting to decline.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/page/popwarner/pop-warner-youth-football-participation-drops-nfl-concussion-crisis-seen-causal-factor

That's really interesting.

The NFL has massive money and influence, but I'm not sure what they can do about parental decisions at the peewee level.

There'll always be people who play. The game is fun. But it looks like the talent pool may decline over time. It'll be an interesting battle between smaller talent pools and ever-improving training and nutrition to see how the NFL product changes over time.

I want to conclude that a smaller talent pool could be the NFL's demise, but I don't think it will be. I don't know that we as viewers would be able to discern the impacts of a smaller talent pool. It seems like the only way to kill the league would be a regulatory ban, but you'd have not just the NFL fighting that, but every Division I college. I don't think you can kill it via regulation, either.

So can the NFL be killed? Maybe not. Maybe the long-term fate is that interest fades since fewer people grow up playing the sport, and it declines back into the pack of other sports as opposed to being the 600-lb. gorilla. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but then it would make the league more vulnerable to being killed by internal issues such as the concussion lawsuit.

Baby Lee
01-20-2016, 11:39 AM

That's a little simplistic. It's more 'had he known FIRSTHAND what he dismissed in the abstract' he would have chosen different.

That said, I fully endorse his right to publicize his personal experience to drive the implications home to present and future generations.

Baby Lee
01-20-2016, 11:43 AM
Regrets, everyone has them...

I've had a few, but then again. . .

DaneMcCloud
01-20-2016, 12:10 PM
I comprehend just fine. He would have chosen baseball, probably never sniffed the majors, and still be asking his wife wtf she just said.

:facepalm:

Or, he still would have played football, because, let's face it, that's probably what he would do.

That's complete and utter speculation. Guys all over the country are walking away from football due to the CTE and concussion issues.

For you to make his decision for him is outright dumb.

DaneMcCloud
01-20-2016, 12:15 PM
There'll always be people who play. The game is fun. But it looks like the talent pool may decline over time. It'll be an interesting battle between smaller talent pools and ever-improving training and nutrition to see how the NFL product changes over time.

In many people's mind, the talent pool has dwindled over the past generation but the TV ratings are higher than ever and continue to climb.

The NFL has Fantasy Football to thank for its increasing audience and would be wise to continue an effort to make the game safer each and every year, otherwise, it'll lose that audience.

I want to conclude that a smaller talent pool could be the NFL's demise, but I don't think it will be. I don't know that we as viewers would be able to discern the impacts of a smaller talent pool.

32 teams have difficulty fielding a 45 man game day roster in 2016. If the NFL is really serious about reducing injuries and especially concussions, they need to raise the game day roster to 53, the full roster to 60 with a practice squad of at least 10.

That would allow healthier bodies in games and practice, would allow players to develop while reducing injuries.

Hoopsdoc
01-20-2016, 12:21 PM
Randle El was the best college player I've ever seen. Played on some really horrible teams at Indiana, though.

Sully
01-20-2016, 12:23 PM
I think the football can do a lot more than it has to help (but never eliminate) the head trauma. I think the reason they haven't taken a lot of the steps necessary is a simple matter of aesthetics.

The Kelso/Wallace helmets from the 90s? They looked goofy, but it's hard to argue that much padding wouldn't do a ton of good. But they'd look "dumb" so I bet there would be a ton of pushback (just like no NBAer will shoot free throws granny-style, though it's proven to be better).

Take away facemasks, and soften helmets (rugby-style skulls caps) would eliminate all but the most idiotic spear-ers. But then guys would mangle their faces, and no one wants to give up any chance at a TV/Advertising/ Acting career for that.

Those three things alone would go a long way to lessening head trauma. But no one is going to do that, simply due to the optics, IMO.

Skyy God
01-20-2016, 12:31 PM
What's really going to impact the NFL is when network/cable TV collapses in about 5 years due to cordcutting. No more billion dollar deals.

Perineum Ripper
01-20-2016, 12:34 PM
I think the football can do a lot more than it has to help (but never eliminate) the head trauma. I think the reason they haven't taken a lot of the steps necessary is a simple matter of aesthetics.

The Kelso/Wallace helmets from the 90s? They looked goofy, but it's hard to argue that much padding wouldn't do a ton of good. But they'd look "dumb" so I bet there would be a ton of pushback (just like no NBAer will shoot free throws granny-style, though it's proven to be better).

Take away facemasks, and soften helmets (rugby-style skulls caps) would eliminate all but the most idiotic spear-ers. But then guys would mangle their faces, and no one wants to give up any chance at a TV/Advertising/ Acting career for that.

Those three things alone would go a long way to lessening head trauma. But no one is going to do that, simply due to the optics, IMO.

http://www.helmethut.com/procap.jpg

ChiefsCountry
01-20-2016, 12:37 PM
What's really going to impact the NFL is when network/cable TV collapses in about 5 years due to cordcutting. No more billion dollar deals.

Funny considering NFL makes it money off OTA tv.

FloridaMan88
01-20-2016, 12:41 PM
If Randle El had played baseball and said his memory is bad after getting a 100 MPH pitch driven into his face, and his knees were bad after years of taking tough slides is this even a story?

Girls soccer has a higher rate of concussions than football does, yet that doesn't stop the same people in the media who bash football over concussions from celebrating women's soccer.

Sully
01-20-2016, 12:50 PM
If Randle El had played baseball and said his memory is bad after getting a 100 MPH pitch driven into his face, and his knees were bad after years of taking tough slides is this even a story?

Girls soccer has a higher rate of concussions than football does, yet that doesn't stop the same people in the media who bash football over concussions from celebrating women's soccer.

I'm not sure if you are trying to win a contest for typing the silliest thing you can, but if you are, I bet you are winning.

FloridaMan88
01-20-2016, 12:58 PM
I'm not sure if you are trying to win a contest for typing the silliest thing you can, but if you are, I bet you are winning.

You are a dumbshit who wants to buy into the "football is pure evil" narrative that those with an agenda/motivation to destroy football are pushing.

Sully
01-20-2016, 01:08 PM
You are a dumbshit who wants to buy into the "football is pure evil" narrative that those with an agenda/motivation to destroy football are pushing.

ROFL

Sure I do.

DaneMcCloud
01-20-2016, 01:11 PM

There aren't many people that will sympathize with athletes who have knee injuries. That's part of the sport. Everyone knows that as fact.

But I seriously doubt that one concussion from a baseball to the head while wearing a helmet would cause long term issues, especially CTE.

DaneMcCloud
01-20-2016, 01:12 PM

The $2 billion dollar per year deal with ESPN won't go away because people will just use the app on their mobile device, Blu Ray player, Roku, Fire, etc.

And the major contracts with the networks are OTA's, so those won't go anywhere, ever.

FloridaMan88
01-20-2016, 01:18 PM
There aren't many people that will sympathize with athletes who have knee injuries. That's part of the sport. Everyone knows that as fact.

But I seriously doubt that one concussion from a baseball to the head while wearing a helmet would cause long term issues, especially CTE.

Fair enough, but my point is I think most of the attention and outrage on this subject... especially in the media... comes from the fact that many believe football is inherently evil and must be stopped.

If it is strictly being motivated out of concern for safety/public health, then there would be attention given to sports with higher concussion rates, including women's soccer and wrestling and their potential connections to CTE.

Was there any talk during the Women's World Cup last summer about how half of the women playing in the tournament might end up with CTE because of the prevalence of concussions in their sport?

Is there any talk of shutting down high school wrestling because of the concussion risk and CTE risk in that sport?

DaFace
01-20-2016, 01:20 PM
While the headline isn't untrue, it's certainly leading. His statement was basically, "I wish I would have been a professional baseball player," which makes the assumption that he would have been a successful baseball player (we'll never know on that one).

That's a far cry from "I wish I wouldn't have played football" and instead been just an everyday Joe, which is what the headline makes it sound like he's saying.

DaneMcCloud
01-20-2016, 01:21 PM
Fair enough, but my point is I think most of the attention and outrage on this subject... especially in the media... comes from the fact that many believe football is inherently evil and must be stopped.

I haven't seen any articles stating that football is "evil and must be stopped" so it's likely we're reading different websites.

Marcellus
01-20-2016, 01:22 PM
Don’t get me wrong, I love the game of football. But right now, I could still be playing baseball

Doesn't sound like huge regret other than he still isn't making $ playing a professional sport.

FloridaMan88
01-20-2016, 01:34 PM
I haven't seen any articles stating that football is "evil and must be stopped" so it's likely we're reading different websites.

There is a segment of the liberal media that thinks football represents sexism, creates a culture of rape/entitlement on college campuses, the game is too violent, the game is too dangerous, etc.

They will take any potential negative news about football, such as the Randle El story and use it as a sign that football is finished.

Sully
01-20-2016, 01:42 PM
There is a segment of the liberal media that thinks football represents sexism, creates a culture of rape/entitlement on college campuses, the game is too violent, the game is too dangerous, etc.

They will take any potential negative news about football, such as the Randle El story and use it as a sign that football is finished.

I mean it, you are knocking this "craziest poster in this thread" contest out of the park.

FloridaMan88
01-20-2016, 01:46 PM
I mean it, you are knocking this "craziest poster in this thread" contest out of the park.

Obviously you have no capacity to look at bigger picture/macro forces at play.

Thanks for confirming that.

Sully
01-20-2016, 01:49 PM
Obviously you have no capacity to look at bigger picture/macro forces at play.

Thanks for confirming that.

Bigger picture/macro forces at play = crazy conspiracy theories?

Yeah. You're a nut.

loochy
01-20-2016, 01:51 PM

Yeah. You're a nut.

YOU ARE THE ONE THAT COACHES KIDS TO THEIR IMPENDING DOOOOOOOM

DaneMcCloud
01-20-2016, 01:53 PM
There is a segment of the liberal media that thinks football represents sexism, creates a culture of rape/entitlement on college campuses

Well, it is hard to argue against this notion.

Did you go to an NCAA Division I football school and hang out with any of the players?

Hell, I had friends that played at Coffeyville and the entitlement was unreal. The guys would take over a movie theater, for free I might add, eat all the concessions and act rowdy, then not pay a cent. And that was nothing.

FloridaMan88
01-20-2016, 01:54 PM

Yeah. You're a nut.

You are clearly too stupid to understand, but keep doing a good job of letting everyone know that fact about you.

Baby Lee
01-20-2016, 01:55 PM

I largely agree that they won't prevail, but is it your sincere opinion that the sentiment that footballs is too violent, misogynist and dangerous to society is so fringe as to be near nonexistent?

That's like an ardent states rights advocate saying that racism is completely over in society.

DaneMcCloud
01-20-2016, 01:59 PM
I largely agree that they won't prevail, but is it your sincere opinion that the sentiment that footballs is too violent, misogynist and dangerous to society is so fringe as to be near nonexistent?

I think you may have misread my quote, as I stated I've never seen an article declaring that football was "evil" or even too violent.

Discuss Thrower
01-20-2016, 02:00 PM
I think you may have misread my quote, as I stated I've never seen an article declaring that football was "evil" or even too violent.

Welp.... (http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/07/nfl-evil-unstoppable/395306/)

DJ's left nut
01-20-2016, 02:04 PM

Nope.

It's pretty simple.

I feel like you and I are close enough to the same age that we probably played within a few years of each other at worst.

Did we have meetings on possible brain damage? No, no we did not. Did I know after Cordelle the man-eating safety absolutely destroyed my ass over the middle that vomiting in the huddle was probably a pretty damn bad sign? Yes, yes I did. And even in high school I knew that enough injuries to my ankles would probably cost me some long-term dexterity there - how could I argue that enough injuries to my head wouldn't cause long-term issues?

I ultimately side with the concussion folks for one reason and one reason only - the NFL evidently HAD done some studies on this, knew about the risk and not only did they not disclose it (which doesn't bother me a lot), but they took active steps to bury the science (which does).

Beyond that, however, I think it takes a ton of willful ignorance to suggest that players and/or parents didn't know that football can take a toll on your brain. Now I think there's a fair argument to make that we didn't know to the extent of that toll, but I don't think the NFL knew the extent of the possible damage either.

Beef Supreme
01-20-2016, 02:08 PM

Google "Football is too violent"

DJ's left nut
01-20-2016, 02:10 PM
I'm actually surprised that some of these athletes aren't playing baseball. Longer careers, guaranteed contracts...it's just not as cool in younger culture but it is far more rewarding and better for your body.

Higher hill to climb with far less guarantee of money.

If you're good enough to play college football, you're one step away from getting paid big money to play professionally. If you're good enough to play college baseball, you're one step away from riding a bus around South Carolina and pooling meal money so you can split a bag of shrimp.

Do even half of all first round picks every play in MLB? I'd be not. Whereas every first round pick in the NFL immediately signs a contract that gives them, at worst, a fantastic jump start on the rest of their lives.

I understand why guys who can earn a living playing football end up doing it. I'm a little more confused as to why parents would hand their kid a set of pads rather than a bat and glove when they're 8, however.

That being said, if my kid wanted to play, I'd probably let him. Some of my fondest memories and most vivid feelings of true comradarie came from HS football. Oh sure, some shitty ones did as well, but that's growing up.

DJ's left nut
01-20-2016, 02:14 PM
So can the NFL be killed? Maybe not. Maybe the long-term fate is that interest fades since fewer people grow up playing the sport, and it declines back into the pack of other sports as opposed to being the 600-lb. gorilla. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but then it would make the league more vulnerable to being killed by internal issues such as the concussion lawsuit.

Simple answer: people watch college football and watch it rabidly.

The argument that the NFL will fade from popularity presupposes that the skill level is what draws viewership. It isn't. The college game is played at nowhere near as high a level and people turn out to watch it in droves despite a stark contrast from Saturday to Sunday.

Now take that contrast and make it on a sliding scale over 10-15 years of dwindling talent and A) I doubt anyone would even notice and B) even if they do, they won't care.

Discuss Thrower
01-20-2016, 02:15 PM
Higher hill to climb with far less guarantee of money.

If you're good enough to play college football, you're one step away from getting paid big money to play professionally. If you're good enough to play college baseball, you're one step away from riding a bus around South Carolina and pooling meal money so you can split a bag of shrimp.

Do even half of all first round picks every play in MLB? I'd be not. Whereas every first round pick in the NFL immediately signs a contract that gives them, at worst, a fantastic jump start on the rest of their lives.

I understand why guys who can earn a living playing football end up doing it. I'm a little more confused as to why parents would hand their kid a set of pads rather than a bat and glove when they're 8, however.

That being said, if my kid wanted to play, I'd probably let him. Some of my fondest memories and most vivid feelings of true comradarie came from HS football. Oh sure, some shitty ones did as well, but that's growing up.

Kids don't really need to be tackling before they turn 14, IMO.

Sully
01-20-2016, 02:16 PM

That's like an ardent states rights advocate saying that racism is completely over in society.

Too "violent?" I guess there are some housewives that probably see about 3 minutes of the sport a year and conclude that. but i don't believe that is any grand amount of people. I've never once heard any complaints of football being misogynistic (any more than any other male-dominated sport) or "dangerous to society." So yeah, I would say that the sentiment you described is so fringe as to be near nonexistent. I certainly don't think the discussion about concussions is due to some cabal of anti-football libbies.

Baby Lee
01-20-2016, 02:21 PM
Too "violent?" I guess there are some housewives that probably see about 3 minutes of the sport a year and conclude that. but i don't believe that is any grand amount of people. I've never once heard any complaints of football being misogynistic (any more than any other male-dominated sport) or "dangerous to society." So yeah, I would say that the sentiment you described is so fringe as to be near nonexistent. I certainly don't think the discussion about concussions is due to some cabal of anti-football libbies.

First off, I'd say your complete dismissal is rarer in society than the detractors.

Second I didn't say, nor do I think anyone is, that the concussion issue is a fabrication or exclusive vehicle of detractors. It's just information that they are exploiting to bolster their opinion.

DJ's left nut
01-20-2016, 02:24 PM
Kids don't really need to be tackling before they turn 14, IMO.

You may be right.

That said, I didn't play organized ball until I was 13 or 14. I played pickup ball where we tackled each other, but never anything structured. Then I played organized ball against guys that had played since they were 8. Those guys did everything better than me. They were more decisive, more technically sound and simply more in control of their bodies than people that came to the sport later. They weren't all better athletes than me, but they all know how to move control themselves a hell of a lot better than I did. They also weren't thinking through things but rather reacting and as every coach will tell you, indecision will absolutely get you hurt on that field. Be the hammer, not the nail.

So if you prevent tackling until kids turn 14 (right about the time they've started to grow out of their parts anyway), you're going to have a lot of kids that have little/no body control out there and I don't think it will actually do much to prevent serious injury. In fact, the rate of traumatic serious injury could very easily go up, IMO. I could see an argument that it would prevent brain trauma by simply reducing the volume of violent collisions kids are subject to, but I think the tradeoff would be more limb/spinal injuries and by a fairly substantial amount.

Sully
01-20-2016, 02:26 PM
It's just information that they are exploiting to bolster their opinion.

That's fine. But as a whole, I don't believe the topic is being pushed by that fringe. i think it's a legit concern from a league and it's sponsors who want the cash cow to keep producing, to make sure that it is still wholesome enough for those non-hardcore followers. The fact that a few barnacles on the bottom of a boat does not mean they are floating the thing.

DaneMcCloud
01-20-2016, 02:29 PM
I feel like you and I are close enough to the same age that we probably played within a few years of each other at worst.

Beyond that, however, I think it takes a ton of willful ignorance to suggest that players and/or parents didn't know that football can take a toll on your brain.

I don't think that anyone knew back in the late 70's/early 80's the extent of brain damage a concussion could cause. But even thought my high school played in three straight 6A state championships, we really didn't have any "monster" players.

I mean, guys were pretty strong and pretty fast for their size but there were very few that weighed more than 200 and those few that did, if they were any good, went on to play a JC's and a few at Division I.

But I never saw any vomiting and I certainly don't recall anyone getting a concussion. I can absolutely assure you that my parents had no idea.

But today? Good grief. When Jadeveon Clowney plays at 6'5, 255 in high school, yeah, the rules are different.

DJ's left nut
01-20-2016, 02:33 PM
I don't think that anyone knew back in the late 70's/early 80's the extent of brain damage a concussion could cause. But even thought my high school played in three straight 6A state championships, we really didn't have any "monster" players.

I mean, guys were pretty strong and pretty fast for their size but there were very few that weighed more than 200 and those few that did, if they were any good, went on to play a JC's and a few at Division I.

But I never saw any vomiting and I certainly don't recall anyone getting a concussion. I can absolutely assure you that my parents had no idea.

But today? Good grief. When Jadeveon Clowney plays at 6'5, 255 in high school, yeah, the rules are different.

So we are NOT close to the same age, then. I played (by the loosest definition of the term) in the mid-late 90s and yeah, we had plenty of concussions by then.

In the 70s and 80s, the NFL had no more of an idea than you did about any of this. Should they have known? Hell, I don't know - they weren't 'the shield' then; they weren't the massive corporate monolith with money to burn. They were still a fairly small shop with teams genuinely at risk of folding much of the time.

Anything that happened before the early 90s, I think the NFL largely gets a pass on. They weren't actively burying data then and the incidents of head injuries were so rare as to not be worthy of additional study.

Baby Lee
01-20-2016, 02:34 PM
That's fine. But as a whole, I don't believe the topic is being pushed by that fringe. i think it's a legit concern from a league and it's sponsors who want the cash cow to keep producing, to make sure that it is still wholesome enough for those non-hardcore followers. The fact that a few barnacles on the bottom of a boat does not mean they are floating the thing.

Sounds like the early 90s when we were working on a safer cigarette.

Sully
01-20-2016, 02:36 PM
Sounds like the early 90s when we were working on a safer cigarette.

Yes. I believe the NFL is doing half-measures to make it look like they are trying, as I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Rain Man
01-20-2016, 03:03 PM

Yeah, back then it was a joke to get a concussion. People would laugh if someone "got their bell rung". I don't think anyone thought of a concussion as something more than a short-term inconvenience. It's kind of incredible to think about that now, but then again, we still have boxing as a sport in 2016 so maybe we haven't evolved that far.

Hoopsdoc
01-20-2016, 03:04 PM

If it is strictly being motivated out of concern for safety/public health, then there would be attention given to sports with higher concussion rates, including women's soccer and wrestling and their potential connections to CTE.

Was there any talk during the Women's World Cup last summer about how half of the women playing in the tournament might end up with CTE because of the prevalence of concussions in their sport?

Is there any talk of shutting down high school wrestling because of the concussion risk and CTE risk in that sport?

I think there may be something to this. Heck, I listen to Bomani Jones on the radio, simply because he's on during my commute, and he's always ragging about how terrible football is and how we shouldn't be proud of watching something so inherently violent and evil.

It's a golden opportunity for people like that to lecture us on what we should and shouldn't like.

Beef Supreme
01-20-2016, 03:11 PM
Yeah, back then it was a joke to get a concussion. People would laugh if someone "got their bell rung". I don't think anyone thought of a concussion as something more than a short-term inconvenience. It's kind of incredible to think about that now, but then again, we still have boxing as a sport in 2016 so maybe we haven't evolved that far.

Evolved ... we humans always like to think that we are more evolved than the last generation and particularly more evolved than people a thousand or two thousand years ago. We aren't.

If people want to get paid to get their head knocked in, that's the deal with the devil they made.

Rain Man
01-20-2016, 03:14 PM
Evolved ... we humans always like to think that we are more evolved than the last generation and particularly more evolved than people a thousand or two thousand years ago. We aren't.

If people want to get paid to get their head knocked in, that's the deal with the devil they made.

I agree. I suspect that the difference is that people have more information now. A thousand years ago our lifestyle choices were probably much less well-informed. So what we tend to think of as 'evolving' or 'advancing civilization' is probably less about how enlightened we are, and more about how much knowledge we have before making decisions.

DJ's left nut
01-20-2016, 03:15 PM
I think there may be something to this. Heck, I listen to Bomani Jones on the radio, simply because he's on during my commute, and he's always ragging about how terrible football is and how we shouldn't be proud of watching something so inherently violent and evil.

It's a golden opportunity for people like that to lecture us on what we should and shouldn't like.

Bomani Jones has become a human wet blanket.

Everything fun, Bomani Jones shits on.

Then he calls you a racist and spends an hour talking about the NBA.

I liked him as a columnist going all the way back to his Page 2 days but his radio show is nigh on unlistenable.

FloridaMan88
01-20-2016, 03:29 PM

USA Today Sports Columnist/general blowhard Christine Brennan is another member of the media who uses every opportunity to attack football and its "inevitable downfall" because of concussions/CTE.

At the same time she is also an unabashed champion of women's soccer, and wrote several drooling columns after last year's Women's World Cup about the great future for the sport.

Why doesn't Christine's concern for concussions/CTE transfer from the NFL to women's soccer? Again women's soccer has a higher rate of concussions than football and also a higher rate of more severe concussions as well.

Where is Christine's outrage about concussions and women's soccer?

DaneMcCloud
01-20-2016, 03:36 PM
So we are NOT close to the same age, then. I played (by the loosest definition of the term) in the mid-late 90s and yeah, we had plenty of concussions by then.

In the 70s and 80s, the NFL had no more of an idea than you did about any of this. Should they have known? Hell, I don't know - they weren't 'the shield' then; they weren't the massive corporate monolith with money to burn. They were still a fairly small shop with teams genuinely at risk of folding much of the time.

Anything that happened before the early 90s, I think the NFL largely gets a pass on. They weren't actively burying data then and the incidents of head injuries were so rare as to not be worthy of additional study.

Yeah, I agree and mentioned as much. The guys pre-1990 weren't all 6'5, 325 pounds running 5.1 40's or 5'10, 210 running 4.4's. The on-field collisions from about 1990-2005 were brutal at times.

Fortunately, the game has changed for the better but I think it continues to change. Will it become flag football? I doubt it but I do believe we'll continue to see an evolution of the game and its safety.

DaneMcCloud
01-20-2016, 03:39 PM

The difference being that boxing has evolved, too. Shorter bouts, better refereeing which has led to many more stoppages, better trainers, better doctors. But with that and the rise in value of NFL contracts, boxing has seen a steady but steep decline from its heyday of the 70's.

Now, UFC, which is three rounds, has taken over the public's fascination despite the lessor padded gloves and people claim it's safer than boxing due to the short fights.

Time will tell.

alpha_omega
01-20-2016, 03:54 PM
Front page even

Ha...your post should have been said by this cartoon character....

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/hanna-barbera/images/5/51/Snagglepuss_1-0.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150711150858

Valiant
01-20-2016, 05:12 PM

Wow dead highschoolers? Were these kids not using helmets and their heads as weapons.

i have a feeling before long youll find this in every sport. Hell probably a lot in people who never played.

I am shocked 90% of the former nfl players from the past havent died from it yet from the way people explain it.

any intelligent person should know using your head as a weapon can cause brain problems.

brucey_72
01-20-2016, 05:22 PM
I will never let my son play football, it is not worth it. I love football but regret it.

This is my story which I have told here before, I will make it brief. In High School I thought I was invincible, young and had dreams of playing college ball. I was a pass rusher and ended up getting a few concussions. My doctor told me I need to quit because once you get concussions, they will become frequent even without hard contact,especially if not healed fully. I did not listen and went back out a week later, I then got a concussion during a walk through with little contact.
I then went on to play college rugby, against my family and doctors will. I ended up getting a concussion while playing that resulted in swelling and bleeding of the brain.

Now I am 24, is married with 2 daughters. I now live with body shakes, mini seizures, memory loss, and get to look forward to being in a wheelchair by the time I'm 50, and I lose a lot of body functions including my memory by the time I'm 50, which my doctor says is a certainty unless medical research can find ways to help people like me. Which all could have been avoided by listening to the doctor.

Luckily for me, now I just live life like it is my last day with my family. Because any day could be my last day capable of living a normal life.

Trust me, football is not worth it.

Dayze
01-20-2016, 05:52 PM

LMAO

ThaVirus
01-20-2016, 05:57 PM
I will never let my son play football, it is not worth it. I love football but regret it.

This is my story which I have told here before, I will make it brief. In High School I thought I was invincible, young and had dreams of playing college ball. I was a pass rusher and ended up getting a few concussions. My doctor told me I need to quit because once you get concussions, they will become frequent even without hard contact,especially if not healed fully. I did not listen and went back out a week later, I then got a concussion during a walk through with little contact. I continued to play.
I then went on to play college rugby, against my family and doctors will. I ended up getting a concussion while playing that resulted in swelling and bleeding of the brain.

Now I am 24, is married with 2 daughters. I now live with body shakes, mini seizures, memory loss, and get to look forward to being in a wheelchair by the time I'm 50, and I lose a lot of body functions including my memory by the time I'm 50, which my doctor says is a certainty unless medical research can find ways to help people like me. Which all could have been avoided by listening to the doctor.

Luckily for me, now I just live life like it is my last day with my family. Because any day could be my last day capable of living a normal life.

Damn, dude. That's horrible.

Sorry to hear it.

Iowanian
01-20-2016, 07:34 PM
As always, the "rub some dirt on it, you pussies" contingent of CP is coming in hot.

As usual the attorney is chasing the ambulance like a dog looking for someone holding his neck.

ClevelandBronco
01-20-2016, 07:38 PM

This is my story which I have told here before, I will make it brief. In High School I thought I was invincible, young and had dreams of playing college ball. I was a pass rusher and ended up getting a few concussions. My doctor told me I need to quit because once you get concussions, they will become frequent even without hard contact,especially if not healed fully. I did not listen and went back out a week later, I then got a concussion during a walk through with little contact. I continued to play.

It's stuff like this that makes me question whether I should even be watching this goddamn game. God bless you, sir.

TimBone
01-20-2016, 08:22 PM
Maybe they're just not marketing well enough.

I can see Randle El's point. If you can play both football and baseball, the smart move is to play baseball if you can handle the boredom. You'll play longer, make more money, and you're unlikely to ever suffer a significant injury. Football is far more fun and entertaining, but I too wonder if it'll exist in 25 years, at least in its current form.

So, we're looking at the very serious possibility that the Chiefs never ever win a second Super Bowl.

underEJ
01-20-2016, 08:26 PM
I frequently question my watching football. I remember big hits like the first hit Greg Wesley ever made in arrowhead that you could probably have heard all the way out on the highway if anyone was still in line for the parking lots. Nasty hit, and we all cheered and laughed. Over time, my appreciation of that type of hit has declined, and by the time Trent Green was laid out on the field by Gaethers, dirty hit argument aside, my already fading enjoyment of big hits dropped cold to zero.

I still enjoy the game and enjoy great plays of skill and athleticism, but I cringe at several hits every game. I am likely not alone in this. Will it make me walk away? I don't know yet, but I think about it, and I would not be considered just a casual fan.

Chief Pagan
01-20-2016, 10:19 PM
Why doesn't Christine's concern for concussions/CTE transfer from the NFL to women's soccer? Again women's soccer has a higher rate of concussions than football and also a higher rate of more severe concussions as well.

I think the outrage is coming. I understand that kids soccer is moving towards not allowing heading until a certain age.

Rain Man
01-20-2016, 11:43 PM
So, we're looking at the very serious possibility that the Chiefs never ever win a second Super Bowl.

I've pretty much accepted that anyway.

01-21-2016, 01:58 AM
The $2 billion dollar per year deal with ESPN won't go away because people will just use the app on their mobile device, Blu Ray player, Roku, Fire, etc.

And the major contracts with the networks are OTA's, so those won't go anywhere, ever.

keep in mind, the ESPN app is worthless if you don't have a cable subscription. I sure can't use it.

Smed1065
01-21-2016, 02:58 AM
No, I did not read the thread.

I know I would have a different tune if I had made a many dollars and couldn't play anymore versus 21 and broke.

That is life, no?

Jimmya
01-21-2016, 06:22 AM
Football will never go away, the SEC had a revenue of over 300 million for the college football playoffs! Wow..... People love the game and love their teams!

rabblerouser
01-21-2016, 06:30 AM

Godspeed.

rabblerouser
01-21-2016, 06:43 AM
I frequently question my watching football. I remember big hits like the first hit Greg Wesley ever made in arrowhead that you could probably have heard all the way out on the highway if anyone was still in line for the parking lots. Nasty hit, and we all cheered and laughed. Over time, my appreciation of that type of hit has declined, and by the time Trent Green was laid out on the field by Gaethers, dirty hit argument aside, my already fading enjoyment of big hits dropped cold to zero.

I still enjoy the game and enjoy great plays of skill and athleticism, but I cringe at several hits every game. I am likely not alone in this. Will it make me walk away? I don't know yet, but I think about it, and I would not be considered just a casual fan.

^ all of this.

I actually played football, 6, 7 & 8th grade, because you could play football and be in the school band in 6-8. When I got to 9th grade, I had to choose.

Easy choice - music.

I knew that I would do more playing music than I would throwing a ball.

I had also suffered my first concussion during a game towards the end of my 8th grade year. I didn't like it. Couldn't just shake it off. Bright lights have ****ed with me ever since.

I was a skinny string bean but I was a decent passer who made great decisions and I really like the game. Had a knack for it.

But I was also weary. Everyone was getting bigger and faster by 8th grade...and so were the hits.

I don't remember anything about the game where I was concussed, really at all. I guess I asked someone why I wasn't playing after I got hit. Idk. My cousin said it was vicious and that he couldn't believe I got up at all. So I took that as the sign that I wasn't cut out of the qb cloth.

I sometimes wonder if I missed out on the 'glory days' by not playing any sports in high school. I took a class on coaching and refereeing football in college so I could ref games and stay close to the action, so to speak. I really wanted to coach, but...life is full of those simple twists of fate.

No point, other than...I wouldn't wish a concussion on anyone. Ever.

Marcellus
01-21-2016, 07:09 AM

With your experience I understand why you wouldn't want your son to play. This is bad deal and I don't mean to be harsh but there was always the option to listen to what people were telling you.

The sport isn't whats to blame here. Failure to listen to the doctor is the issue.

rabblerouser
01-21-2016, 07:19 AM
With your experience I understand why you wouldn't want your son to play. This is bad deal and I don't mean to be harsh but there was always the option to listen to what people were telling you.

The sport isn't whats to blame here. Failure to listen to the doctor is the issue.

Or failure to listen to one's own body. I got one concussion, in 8th grade.

I never played another down of organized football...but I was lucky.

But what he's getting at is that mentality, that 'rrub some dirt on it and get back out there' is at EVERY LEVEL - Jr. High, high school, college, pros. And it becomes a branding, a badge of how 'tough' you are when you play through injuries.

We've only started hearing about this because the NFL got sued and doesn't want to be culpable for any more damages.

Marcellus
01-21-2016, 07:24 AM
Or failure to listen to one's own body. I got one concussion, in 8th grade.

I never played another down of organized football...but I was lucky.

But what he's getting at is that mentality, that 'rrub some dirt on it and get back out there' is at EVERY LEVEL - Jr. High, high school, college, pros. And it becomes a branding, a badge of how 'tough' you are when you play through injuries.

We've only started hearing about this because the NFL got sued and doesn't want to be culpable for any more damages.

This is what is changing, not saying it completely has, but it is definitely changing as far as head injuries go.

Skyy God
01-21-2016, 12:21 PM

We've already reached peak ESPN, and its decline will put downward pressure on sports TV deals from all networks.

http://deadspin.com/espns-uncertain-future-is-already-here-1753901086

rabblerouser
01-21-2016, 12:23 PM
We've already reached peak ESPN, and its decline will put downward pressure on sports TV deals from all networks.

http://deadspin.com/espns-uncertain-future-is-already-here-1753901086

To be honest, I've quit watching and listening to the talking heads.

I'd rather get my sports info here.

Rain Man
01-21-2016, 12:32 PM

Yeah, good post. This is kind of where I'm at.

The athletes are too good these days. They're artificially constructed hitting machines, and the hits are becoming too violent for my liking (unless they're on Broncos).

brucey_72
01-21-2016, 02:42 PM

I agree, I should have listened to a doctor. I don't blame the sport, I blame myself but the point of the post was to raise awareness that concussions are serious. But honestly try telling a 15 year old kid hey all your dreams of playing football are over. Something that you have been dreaming and preparing your entire life for. At this point back in 2006, concussions were not as big of a deal in the media as they are now.

I never thought the concussions where a huge deal and didn't have any lasting affects until my last one. I only had 3-4 documented concussions.

In all honesty it only takes 1 hit that can change your live. Whether it is your 1st concussion or your 5th.

Otter
01-21-2016, 03:01 PM

Trust me, football is not worth it. That's a pretty brutal story dude and I'm sorry to hear about it and wish you nothing but the best.</br></br> I had two concussions in four year of wrestling, one was minor and the other was a real bell ringer. I felt like I was stuck in a dream and couldn't get out of it. It's easy to shrug off because many times they really don't hurt, you're just foggy and don't realize that ball of jelly in your head that controls everything just got blasted.</br></br> It didn't mean a difference in the world to me back then either. You were young invulnerable and on a mission</br></br> If I had to guess (note: guess) the NFL is so big and powerful it's going to start placing the liability on the player. I doubt it will ever have a shortage of young 20 year old guys willing to put their body at risk for millions of dollars, fame and women throwing themselves at them just because, well their 20 something years old.</br></br> A kind of weird analogy but relevant; listen to the Henry Hill interview back in the mob heyday where guys were getting shot, tortured and beaten for money and power. Young guys were in line waiting to take the next guys place. The consequences don't get more apparent than that situation. You're not thinking 20 years down the road at that age. You still think you're 10 foot tall and bullet proof.

Discuss Thrower
01-21-2016, 03:05 PM
I'm 100% fine with the "YOU GOT JACKED UP" sideshow going away from football.

temper11
01-21-2016, 03:37 PM
I think the outrage is coming. I understand that kids soccer is moving towards not allowing heading until a certain age.

This is true. My girls play competitive soccer at ages 8 and 6 and next year the rule changes that any ball that strikes the head will be considered the same as a hand ball.

Otter
01-21-2016, 03:43 PM
This is true. My girls play competitive soccer at ages 8 and 6 and next year the rule changes that any ball that strikes the head will be considered the same as a hand ball. I recently read, can't recall where, that wrecking on water skis over a period of time is a really easy way to get a consecutive series of minor concussions that add up to be just as bad as a couple bad hits.</br></br>If you picture your brain and how it sloshes around on impact and how quick and violent a water skiing accident is it doesn't seam that unreasonable.</br></br>PS - I'm not doctor

Discuss Thrower
01-21-2016, 03:47 PM
I recently read, can't recall where, that wrecking on water skis over a period of time is a really easy way to get a consecutive series of minor concussions that add up to be just as bad as a couple bad hits.</br></br>If you picture your brain and how it sloshes around on impact and how quick and violent a water skiing accident is it doesn't seam that unreasonable.</br></br>PS - I'm not doctor

I wonder about karate. At some point isn't it expected that you'll get thrown to the mat in a quick manner?

Otter
01-21-2016, 03:51 PM
I wonder about karate. At some point isn't it expected that you'll get thrown to the mat in a quick manner? Karate is more of a stand up sport. I'd be more worried about catching a foot to the dome.</br></br>Judo, Jiu Jitsu, wrestling I'd think you're more likely to get taken down head first on the mat. Krav Maga is a pretty sick hybrid of all the above.

Discuss Thrower
01-21-2016, 03:53 PM
Karate is more of a stand up sport. I'd be more worried about catching a foot to the dome.</br></br>Judo, Jiu Jitsu, wrestling I'd think you're more likely to get taken down head first on the mat.

It's not about going down head first.. It's about your skull moving one direction rapidly and the brain not accelerating accordingly.

temper11
01-21-2016, 03:54 PM
I recently read, can't recall where, that wrecking on water skis over a period of time is a really easy way to get a consecutive series of minor concussions that add up to be just as bad as a couple bad hits.</br></br>If you picture your brain and how it sloshes around on impact and how quick and violent a water skiing accident is it doesn't seam that unreasonable.</br></br>PS - I'm not doctor

But here's the problem... football, soccer, water skiing, wrestling, snow skiing, snow boarding, etc, etc. We can't live in a f'ng bubble. I absolutely hate the fact that the NFL tried to, and successfully did, bury research on long term effects of concussions. But I don't think football should stop, or anything else for that matter. Research should continue and people should be informed of everything there is to know, as it becomes known, so they can make their own educated decisions and be at peace with the consequences.

There are many fantastic things that come from competitive physical sport, and if we limit that to curling and badminton, we will be losing more than just CTE.

DenverChief
01-21-2016, 04:03 PM
USA Today Sports Columnist/general blowhard Christine Brennan is another member of the media who uses every opportunity to attack football and its "inevitable downfall" because of concussions/CTE.

At the same time she is also an unabashed champion of women's soccer, and wrote several drooling columns after last year's Women's World Cup about the great future for the sport.

It's just a money grab on her part. She knew the risks of journalism and the potential of landing a crappy job writing about women's soccer for USA Today. So she has latched onto the gravy train. She probably has financial problems and is likely out shopping right now despite her financial woes.

Otter
01-21-2016, 04:04 PM
But here's the problem... football, soccer, water skiing, wrestling, snow skiing, snow boarding, etc, etc. We can't live in a f'ng bubble. I absolutely hate the fact that the NFL tried to, and successfully did, bury research on long term effects of concussions. But I don't think football should stop, or anything else for that matter. Research should continue and people should be informed of everything there is to know, as it becomes known, so they can make their own educated decisions and be at peace with the consequences.

There are many fantastic things that come from competitive physical sport, and if we limit that to curling and badminton, we will be losing more than just CTE. Agree 100%. You can't take away competitive sports from young men and women. It's part of the successful growing process of how to handle discipline, success and failure for a large portion of youth.</br></br>Being vigilant and aware of concussions is pretty much the only answer. Much like any other medical condition we're going to have to learn to address it before it becomes a problem or at least before it becomes a life altering problem.

HMc
01-21-2016, 08:07 PM
Studies have demonstrated, and it was kinda obvious anyway, that eliminating the helmet will alleviate these issues to a large degree.

Give the players an incentive to protect their heads and they'll generally do so. Give them a helmet and they have a false sense of security.

Discuss Thrower
01-21-2016, 08:08 PM
Studies have demonstrated, and it was kinda obvious anyway, that eliminating the helmet will alleviate these issues to a large degree.

Give the players an incentive to protect their heads and they'll generally do so. Give them a helmet and they have a false sense of security.

Rugby has concussion problems.

bricks
01-21-2016, 08:37 PM
I don't feel sorry for them.

I hate to sound like a cold hearted bastard but these guys make millions and millions of dollars. They have enough money to hire the best doctors, surgeons, receive the best medical treatment necessary, hire the best consultants, you name it! And to top it off, they can still support generations of families.

These aren't your average joes that worked physically demanding jobs and barely have enough money for retirement saving or receive little to no benefits.

**** them. They made the choice. They knew the consequences that were involved with the sport. DEAL. WITH. IT! You have the money, move on and take of yourselves and stop complaining to the rest of the world about your problems!

Discuss Thrower
01-21-2016, 08:40 PM
I don't feel sorry for them.

I hate to sound like a cold hearted bastard but these guys make millions and millions of dollars. They have enough money to hire the best doctors, surgeons, receive the best medical treatment necessary, hire the best consultants, you name it! And to top it off, they can still support generations of families.

These aren't your average joes that worked physically demanding jobs and barely have enough money for retirement saving or receive little to no benefits.

**** them. They made the choice. They knew the consequences that were involved with the sport. DEAL. WITH. IT! You have the money, move on and take of yourselves and stop complaining to the rest of the world about your problems!

NFL players aren't the problem in the eyes of the public.

Kids who got fucked up with CTE but never got beyond HS are the problem.

Chief Pagan
01-21-2016, 08:58 PM

Yikes. I spent my adolescence doing that.

J Diddy
01-21-2016, 09:29 PM
I thought the gazillions of dollars these barely literate bastards made was compensation for the damage to their bodies.

These guys have been playing a damn game their whole lives. It's given them grade A educations. It's given them a high ring of social status. It's made them rich. Now in the end it's coming to collect and they're screaming foul. Fuck them. You knew it was a violent sport when you first played tackle.

DaneMcCloud
01-21-2016, 10:02 PM
I thought the gazillions of dollars these barely literate bastards made was compensation for the damage to their bodies.

These guys have been playing a damn game their whole lives. It's given them grade A educations. It's given them a high ring of social status. It's made them rich. Now in the end it's coming to collect and they're screaming foul. Fuck them. You knew it was a violent sport when you first played tackle.

Now that's the kind of compassion I'd expect from a psychologist

Hammock Parties
01-21-2016, 10:22 PM
"Barely literate bastards" is a little unfair.

I mean, we have a future MD playing RG.

Demonpenz
01-21-2016, 11:01 PM
The only reason I like football or hockey is the physical aspect. Oklahoma drills and awesome.

Saccopoo
01-22-2016, 12:40 AM
It was worse at one point in history...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qTj8UlZSsCQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u0H0el_Ep1k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Direckshun
01-22-2016, 01:28 AM
Now that's the kind of compassion I'd expect from a psychologist

Please tell me J Diddy is not a psychologist.

Marcellus
01-22-2016, 07:18 AM
"Barely literate bastards" is a little unfair.

I mean, we have a future MD playing RG.

Which in itself should tell you all you need to know on this subject.

rabblerouser
01-22-2016, 07:21 AM
Which in itself should tell you all you need to know on this subject.

ROFL

YUP.

Valiant
01-24-2016, 05:31 PM

There are many fantastic things that come from competitive physical sport, and if we limit that to curling and badminton, we will be losing more than just CTE.

This is why I have been saying we need to change. I think it takes another league doing it first.

Get rid of the helmets and pads, Give them a leather rugby helmet and very small leather shoulder pads. Make any hit to the head illegal on both sides and an ejection. All other pads for legs and such need to be thin foam.

Will force people to wrap up tackle, will also make the game faster.