PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Did Dorsey win the the Mitch Morse/Hudson flip?

BlackOp
01-25-2016, 01:38 AM
It's looking like another shrewd move.....

Buehler445
01-25-2016, 01:45 AM
For the dollars he got, yeah.

Hammock Parties
01-25-2016, 01:46 AM
Without question.

mcaj22
01-25-2016, 01:46 AM
only way Dorsey loses this if Morse's injuries end his career early.

Direckshun
01-25-2016, 01:57 AM
I think we ultimately managed the loss.

People forget we almost inked him for 4-6m/year during the season. His price shot up by the end of the year.

Hudson is simply the better player right now, but Morse is a very sturdy recovery from losing him.

mdchiefsfan
01-25-2016, 02:30 AM

Yea, because it is so easy to project concussions. :facepalm:

Hudson was overpaid; Dorsey scouted the right guy in anticipation.

dannybcaitlyn
01-25-2016, 06:42 AM
Easy to say now, but you would think the staff doing the evaluating should have had a clue and knew that Fulton could have done the Job for the cheap and we draft Tyler Lockett.

RealSNR
01-25-2016, 06:55 AM
What the fuck has Tyler Lockett done that no other rookie WR has ever done?

People act like we missed out on Jerry fucking Rice. No we didn't. Lockett is a good player, but I'm sick and fucking tired of people whining about not drafting Lockett.

There are good players in every draft. You only have 7 picks. You can't draft them fucking all.

Christ.

wazu
01-25-2016, 06:57 AM
I wish we had drafted Lockett.

WhawhaWhat
01-25-2016, 07:36 AM
Yea, because it is so easy to project concussions. :facepalm:

He had 2 this season and with each concussion your chances to get another one increases dramatically. So yes, it's a concern.

Trivers
01-25-2016, 07:53 AM
What the **** has Tyler Lockett done that no other rookie WR has ever done?

People act like we missed out on Jerry ****ing Rice. No we didn't. Lockett is a good player, but I'm sick and ****ing tired of people whining about not drafting Lockett.

There are good players in every draft. You only have 7 picks. You can't draft them ****ing all.

Christ.

Rep!

Rausch
01-25-2016, 08:26 AM
It was a smart financial decision.

Hudson is still the better player but Morse is much better than anticipated (by fans/pundits.)

Plus that Hudson money was/will be used to resign other defensive guys...

Rausch
01-25-2016, 08:27 AM

People act like we missed out on Jerry ****ing Rice. No we didn't. Lockett is a good player, but I'm sick and ****ing tired of people whining about not drafting Lockett.

There are good players in every draft. You only have 7 picks. You can't draft them ****ing all.

Christ.

I think this will end up being as good a draft as Herm's foundation builder years ago...

scho63
01-25-2016, 08:33 AM

This for sure :clap:

BigMeatballDave
01-25-2016, 08:34 AM
http://www.ihop.com/menus/main-menu/dinner-favorites/-/media/ihop/MenuItems/Dinner%20Favorites/Fried%20Chicken%20Dinner/FriedChickenDinner.png?mh=367

mdchiefsfan
01-25-2016, 09:36 AM
He had 2 this season and with each concussion your chances to get another one increases dramatically. So yes, it's a concern.

Where did I state that it wasn't a concern? I was just stating that it is absurd to fault Dorsey for Morse's concussions.

DJ's left nut
01-25-2016, 09:58 AM

People act like we missed out on Jerry fucking Rice. No we didn't. Lockett is a good player, but I'm sick and fucking tired of people whining about not drafting Lockett.

There are good players in every draft. You only have 7 picks. You can't draft them fucking all.

Christ.

And we needed the guy we drafted more than we needed another gadget WR. Moreover, Morse did his job better than Lockett did his.

The narrative has now become that Morse would've been there in the 3rd so we still should've taken Lockett but pretty much every person that weighed in on that during the draft stated that Morse was ticketed at the back of the 2nd.

People just bitch a lot. We nailed a 2nd round pick; snagged a guy that played an extremely difficult position to learn at a very high level. Yet people are still complaining about it.

If Morse's concussions aren't career threatening, the guy will be a better pick than 80% of the picks made in that round.

Buehler445
01-25-2016, 10:31 AM
It was a smart financial decision.

Hudson is still the better player but Morse is much better than anticipated (by fans/pundits.)

Plus that Hudson money was/will be used to resign other defensive guys...

Assuming similar production with some improvement from being a rook, I'd say Morse was a better value than Hudson. He isn't as good of a player as Hudson is, but in terms of production per salary cap dollar (the cash isn't really important, but the salary cap is), I'm down with Morse.

Thing is in salary cap sports, you have to build an ENTIRE team on the same dollars that everyone else is. Accordingly, you have to achieve an overall return on salary cap dollar spent over the entire team.

Every sunk ass bitch free-agent contract that you're getting fuckall for return from (think: Dunta Robinson, Grubbs, or Heynsworth in an extreme case) lessens the salary cap dollars available to account for the entire production required to win. That means you can't miss on any of the lower dollar guys, and they have to produce a lot. Where that really kills you is depth. It's tough to go pay for a guy like Ron Parker, Tyvone Branch, or even an ancillary guy like Anthony Fasano. Even though their salaries are relatively low, they still become impossible if you're saddled with too much money in non-producing personnel.

Look at the winners. They get production from no money. Russel Wilson making 700K? That's efficient. That's how they can afford to put together a defense. Donk signed a bunch of players that wanted to play with 5 head and signed shitty contracts to do it. Pitt never paid an OLB for years and kept getting production out of rookie deals. Patriots get all kind of productivity out of jackass motherfuckers that would otherwise be bagging groceries (I'm looking at you, Jonas Gray).

So yeah, on a production per salary cap dollar, I'm good with Morse.

Saccopoo
01-25-2016, 11:36 AM
I wish we had drafted Lockett.

They can draft Utah State's Hunter Sharp and get the exact same guy this year.

Lzen
01-25-2016, 03:16 PM

Christ.

:clap:

I have this guy at work that is a KSU fan. That is why people around here talk up Tyler Lockett so much. He's always talking about what Lockett did in the game. I just tell him that nobody here gives a rat's ass about the Seattle Seahawks. :grr:

IowaChiefs83
01-25-2016, 05:30 PM

Christ.

We actually did miss out on Jerry Rice. :doh!:

kccrow
01-25-2016, 06:28 PM
I'd say from a pure talent standpoint, Morse looks to be a win over paying Hudson. Morse was light years ahead in ability as a rookie. The concussions though, they are a huge concern. Offensive lineman, particularly centers, take more blows to the head than any other positions on the team. Sure, they don't normally take the huge, high speed blows like receivers and what not, but they take more repetitive blows which are more damaging overall.

Deberg_1990
01-25-2016, 06:39 PM

Ethan Horton over Jerry Rice!!

:facepalm:

Iconic
01-25-2016, 07:56 PM
Could have traded up five spots and gotten our Derrick Johnson replacement... sigh. What could have been...

I'm still happy with the Morse pick though.

RealSNR
01-25-2016, 08:02 PM

Please die

threebag
01-25-2016, 08:03 PM

Christ.

Wasn't there another Jerry Fucking Rice post that turned a thread upside down?

RealSNR
01-25-2016, 08:13 PM
Wasn't there another Jerry Fucking Rice post that turned a thread upside down?

When I said that Jerry Rice had problems with drops his rookie year because he fucking did?

That one?

DaneMcCloud
01-25-2016, 08:21 PM
If Tyler Lockett had gone to Rutgers, very few people on Chiefsplanet would know his name.

It's same as when people were calling for the Chiefs to draft Chase Daniel(s) in the first round back in 2008.

Big 12 players are way overvalued here.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-25-2016, 08:23 PM
I was not a fan of drafting Morse to play center because he legitimately could not snap a football at Missouri, but he played really well during the season.

Sometimes, I think Dorsey's clock is off on some of the decisions he makes (waiting on Houston and Hudson, re-signing Jah Reid during the season when he would have had a meh market), but he generally makes the right choice in player evaluations.

OldSchool
01-25-2016, 08:24 PM
Most definitely.

Saved a bunch of money and both Morse and Fulton were pretty solid at C.

Mr. Laz
01-25-2016, 08:28 PM
If Tyler Lockett had gone to Rutgers, very few people on Chiefsplanet would know his name.

It's same as when people were calling for the Chiefs to draft Chase Daniel(s) in the first round back in 2008.

Big 12 players are way overvalued here.
The state of California is way overvalued everywhere

DaneMcCloud
01-25-2016, 08:43 PM

Man, you're in a mood today.

Maybe you should catch a flight to LAX and Uber over to the Hermosa Pier where I'll meet you and drink to our heart's content.

Deal?

:D

RealSNR
01-25-2016, 08:52 PM

Especially in San Francisco

(Get it?)

dannybcaitlyn
01-26-2016, 06:55 AM
Loss = Morse /Hudson Flip a win would have been Fulton/Hudson flip. The other win would have been drafting Tyler ****ing Lockett the Son of Kevin Lockett. We were shit entering the draft at the WR position and could have had this dual threat versatile home run hitting, taking it to the house , game changing, momentum changing, alligator wrangling, Shark diving, running with the Bulls Receiver!! Now we're talking about how Morse is one more concussion from being out of the league. Instead we should have been gloating about having a Defense rookie of the year candidate it the first round in Peters and A Offense rookie of the year candidate in Lockett in the second round! Dorsey would have been GM of the year!

ChiefGator
01-26-2016, 07:05 AM
Just for discussion purposes, let's say Dorsey didn't do that flip. Then he would have a second round pick to use, for... say.... Tyler Lockett perhaps? ;)

Buehler445
01-26-2016, 08:02 AM
Loss = Morse /Hudson Flip a win would have been Fulton/Hudson flip. The other win would have been drafting Tyler ****ing Lockett the Son of Kevin Lockett. We were shit entering the draft at the WR position and could have had this dual threat versatile home run hitting, taking it to the house , game changing, momentum changing, alligator wrangling, Shark diving, running with the Bulls Receiver!! Now we're talking about how Morse is one more concussion from being out of the league. Instead we should have been gloating about having a Defense rookie of the year candidate it the first round in Peters and A Offense rookie of the year candidate in Lockett in the second round! Dorsey would have been GM of the year!

He tried to get Hudson to sign during last season. Then he figured out what he would "likely" get in FA. Quite frankly he probably made the right decision. Hell, I'd probably even go to the Faid for that much money. And Dorsey was smart to not pay it. Again, it comes down to return on salary cap dollars spent.

dannybcaitlyn
01-26-2016, 08:13 AM
He tried to get Hudson to sign during last season. Then he figured out what he would "likely" get in FA. Quite frankly he probably made the right decision. Hell, I'd probably even go to the Faid for that much money. And Dorsey was smart to not pay it. Again, it comes down to return on salary cap dollars spent.

I agree with that. Most likely will happen again with Howard. Sucks we can't have any continuity on the o-line though. Seems like every year it's musical chairs now.

RunKC
01-26-2016, 08:24 AM
I can't believe people would take Lockett over Conley. It just blows my mind.

Lockett is no more than a #3 WR that you can find in most drafts. Guys like Conley don't come around often. This guy has a real chance to be a big time starter.

I think Conley can be a 800 yd/8 TD kinda WR next year when he starts and has more understanding of the system.

Buehler445
01-26-2016, 08:29 AM
I agree with that. Most likely will happen again with Howard. Sucks we can't have any continuity on the o-line though. Seems like every year it's musical chairs now.

Agreed. It is not really advisable to get in the same situation we were in during the Vermiel days, O-Line that whips pussy all day every day, but we can't afford fuckall for skill players not named Tony Gonzalez Travis Kelce.

ChiefGator
01-26-2016, 08:44 AM
I can't believe people would take Lockett over Conley. It just blows my mind.

Lockett is no more than a #3 WR that you can find in most drafts. Guys like Conley don't come around often. This guy has a real chance to be a big time starter.

I think Conley can be a 800 yd/8 TD kinda WR next year when he starts and has more understanding of the system.

I agree. I was really just poking fun at this thread.

HOWEVER, Lockett would have been a good draft pick in retrospect with DAT fading away and Kniles looking like he may be replaced. I would take Lockett over Hammond as WR #3 or WR #4 and returning punts and kicks any day.

I think if hindsight was 20/20, Dorsey would have gone Lockett AND Conley in the 2nd and 3rd, except we probably don't trade up to get Conley this time and maybe lose him. I like the promise of Morse though.

I still think it was all a win though... we have lots of good young talent that we will need to get under contract in the next several years.

O.city
01-26-2016, 09:18 AM
I don't think conley is a fit in the offense here.

Ducks for cover

Buehler445
01-26-2016, 09:21 AM

Ducks for cover

I like boobs.

Doesn't duck for cover.

ChiefGator
01-26-2016, 09:53 AM

Ducks for cover

He has several things going for him, but I assume you mean because he isn't QUICK in and out of breaks? I think he can learn the rest and polish his game over the next year or two, but time will tell I guess.

RealSNR
01-26-2016, 11:58 AM

Are you trying to make me mad?

O.city
01-26-2016, 12:27 PM
He has several things going for him, but I assume you mean because he isn't QUICK in and out of breaks? I think he can learn the rest and polish his game over the next year or two, but time will tell I guess.

I don't think he will ever be a precise route runner, because of his size.

Bowser
01-26-2016, 12:29 PM
Yes, he did. He may have won it further by Fulton playing as well as he did at center after Morse was down.

ChiefGator
01-26-2016, 12:35 PM
I don't think he will ever be a precise route runner, because of his size.

Isn't he nearly identical in size to Larry Fitzgerald? There have been plenty of WRs his size that could learn to run precise routes.

Chiefnj2
01-26-2016, 12:55 PM
Lockett is no more than a #3 WR that you can find in most drafts. .

When is the last time KC had #3 WR go over 650 yards and 6 TDs?

BossChief
01-26-2016, 02:14 PM

Ducks for cover

Give him time with these coaches and Maclin.

They wouldn't haven traded up and drafted him without a clear plan for his specific skill set.

Hammock Parties
01-26-2016, 02:32 PM

Ducks for cover

I think he'd be fine if he could actually catch the ball.

He must have dropped 10 passes this year counting the playoffs.

Anyone got the PFF numbers on Chris Dropley?

staylor26
01-26-2016, 02:54 PM

Ducks for cover

I don't think you have a clue.

staylor26
01-26-2016, 02:56 PM
I think he'd be fine if he could actually catch the ball.

He must have dropped 10 passes this year counting the playoffs.

Anyone got the PFF numbers on Chris Dropley?

RealSNR
01-26-2016, 03:09 PM
When is the last time KC had #3 WR go over 650 yards and 6 TDs?

In this offense Lockett probably wouldn't sniff half those numbers in his rookie season.

It's the same shit when people talk about how amazing Kelvin Benjamin is. "Why didn't we draft him????!!!"

Different team. Different offense. Different coach. Different QB.

Ming the Merciless
01-26-2016, 03:15 PM
Ethan Horton over Jerry Rice!!

ethan horton was a stud

CHUEFS!

The Franchise
01-26-2016, 03:21 PM
In this offense Lockett probably wouldn't sniff half those numbers in his rookie season.

It's the same shit when people talk about how amazing Kelvin Benjamin is. "Why didn't we draft him????!!!"

Different team. Different offense. Different coach. Different QB.

The only improvement that he would have brought to this team was his impact on special teams.