PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs paid to honor military

Marada
01-28-2016, 05:44 PM
I was watching the news today and there was a segment about 14 NFL Teams receiving money from the Defense Department to honor the Military. After hearing it my 1st thought was that no way would that be the Chiefs. After all, they have flyovers, parachutists, presenting of the colors, and the fans stand up and cheer for all of this. My wife did a quick Google Search and lo and behold, the Chiefs billed $250,000.00 to honor a hometown hero.

I do not know how the rest of you feel about this but to me it's a slap in the face to think what appears to be a sign of Patriotism from the Chiefs is simple capitalism. Here is a snippet from just 1 of the articles I read.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/defense-department-paid-5-4-million-nfl-honor-troops/

The United States Department of Defense paid the National Football League more than $5 million in taxpayer money between 2011 to 2014 to honor U.S. soldiers and veterans at games, an investigation revealed this week.
Nearly $5.4 million was given to 14 NFL teams across the country, the bulk of which ($5.3 million) was supplied by the National Guard and the rest paid by the Army and Air Force, according to government records obtained by NJ.com.
But instead of purely heartfelt salutes to soldiers from hometown football teams, the halftime segments were reportedly part of paid promotions under federal advertising contracts for the military.
Earlier this week, U.S. Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) called out the spending as an “egregious and unnecessary waste of taxpayer dollars.”
“Those of us go to sporting events and see them honoring the heroes; you get a good feeling in your heart,” Sen. Flake told NJ.com. “Then to find out they’re doing it because they’re compensated for it, it leaves you underwhelmed. It seems a little unseemly.”

kysirsoze
01-28-2016, 05:49 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Tt5qg.jpg

ModSocks
01-28-2016, 05:49 PM
It's advertising like anything else. A story similar to this was posted months ago and we went over it then. Overall, idc.

The NFL is a business. Players are entertainers.

I care about an NFL team's sponsors about as much as i care about NFL players building their brand through reality T.V.

LoneWolf
01-28-2016, 05:50 PM
Q

jspchief
01-28-2016, 05:53 PM
Old story. I think it's a bit shady because it's not really presented as an advertisement/PR for the military.

I believe the nfl has since said they will no longer accept money for this type of thing.

Mr. Laz
01-28-2016, 05:54 PM
I was watching the news today and there was a segment about 14 NFL Teams receiving money from the Defense Department to honor the Military. After hearing it my 1st thought was that no way would that be the Chiefs. After all, they have flyovers, parachutists, presenting of the colors, and the fans stand up and cheer for all of this. My wife did a quick Google Search and lo and behold, the Chiefs billed $250,000.00 to honor a hometown hero.

I do not know how the rest of you feel about this but to me it's a slap in the face to think what appears to be a sign of Patriotism from the Chiefs is simple capitalism. Here is a snippet from just 1 of the articles I read.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/defense-department-paid-5-4-million-nfl-honor-troops/

The United States Department of Defense paid the National Football League more than $5 million in taxpayer money between 2011 to 2014 to honor U.S. soldiers and veterans at games, an investigation revealed this week.
Nearly $5.4 million was given to 14 NFL teams across the country, the bulk of which ($5.3 million) was supplied by the National Guard and the rest paid by the Army and Air Force, according to government records obtained by NJ.com.
But instead of purely heartfelt salutes to soldiers from hometown football teams, the halftime segments were reportedly part of paid promotions under federal advertising contracts for the military.
Earlier this week, U.S. Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) called out the spending as an “egregious and unnecessary waste of taxpayer dollars.”
“Those of us go to sporting events and see them honoring the heroes; you get a good feeling in your heart,” Sen. Flake told NJ.com. “Then to find out they’re doing it because they’re compensated for it, it leaves you underwhelmed. It seems a little unseemly.”
full threads about it somewhere around here already if you want to read through them.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=292403&highlight=Military+Chiefs+Paid

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=292580&highlight=Military+Chiefs+Paid

Meatloaf
When this came up before, I thought I saw something from Hunt saying that the Chiefs did not accept money from the military for such things. Anyone else remember it that way?

cosmo20002
I also heard they billed Budweiser and Sprint for publicizing their stuff.

eDave
01-28-2016, 05:55 PM
Old story. I think it's a bit shady because it's not really presented as an advertisement/PR for the military.

I believe the nfl has since said they will no longer accept money for this type of thing.

That what I felt. Detoxing is correct though. But it taints it for me. Fake.

ClevelandBronco
01-28-2016, 05:56 PM
The NFL is a business.

And for better or worse, so is the U.S. military.

Marada
01-28-2016, 06:00 PM
Sorry about the repost of something old. It was new to me and I hope after reading the old posts that The Chiefs no longer accept money for that. I am a Military Brat and have seen 1st hand the sacrifices that families make for the Military and this country.

eDave
01-28-2016, 06:03 PM
Sorry about the repost of something old. It was new to me and I hope after reading the old posts that The Chiefs no longer accept money for that. I am a Military Brat and have seen 1st hand the sacrifices that families make for the Military and this country.

You are all good man. No worries. First time I am seeing it so thank you.

ModSocks
01-28-2016, 06:05 PM

Don't sweat it, man. The article was posted quite awhile ago and you don't post often enough to notice.

Now, if some asshole with 50K+ posts posted it....HELL SHALL RAIN DOWN FROM THEY SKY. DOOOOOOOOOM

eDave
01-28-2016, 06:06 PM
Don't sweat it, man. The article was posted quite awhile ago and you don't post often enough to notice.

Now, if some asshole with 50K+ posts posted it....HELL SHALL RAIN DOWN FROM THEY SKY. DOOOOOOOOOM

Posting a Q is the only way I get any got damned attention around here.

BWillie
01-28-2016, 06:17 PM
I really really really don't see what the issue is.

Marada
01-28-2016, 06:25 PM
The issue is that this country was founded and prospered because of the citizen soldier. A rag tag group of farmers, businessmen, and politicians who stood up for the values and traditions we enjoy to this day. Todays Military operates the same, ordinary citizens volunteer and take an oath to protect and defend this country from all enemies, foreign or domestic. Whatever a persons motivation is for joining the military is secondary to that oath and for that those that have, that are and who will serve have my respect and gratitude.

vailpass
01-28-2016, 06:34 PM
McCain took care of this shit...

Rasputin
01-28-2016, 07:54 PM
It was heartfelt throughout Arrowhead Stadium game vs Steelers when they honored the fallen fire fighters.

Kman34
01-28-2016, 08:40 PM
The issue is that this country was founded and prospered because of the citizen soldier. A rag tag group of farmers, businessmen, and politicians who stood up for the values and traditions we enjoy to this day. Todays Military operates the same, ordinary citizens volunteer and take an oath to protect and defend this country from all enemies, foreign or domestic. Whatever a persons motivation is for joining the military is secondary to that oath and for that those that have, that are and who will serve have my respect and gratitude.

I agree with these thoughts... I think any way these men and women can be recognized is a good thing, even if the Chiefs get paid for it or not..

vailpass
01-28-2016, 08:48 PM
It was heartfelt throughout Arrowhead Stadium game vs Steelers when they honored the fallen fire fighters.

That there. In every stadium. Not one of those that were honored need feel that honor was any less sincere or deserved...

Baby Lee
01-28-2016, 09:35 PM

How does this state an issue relevant here?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GUtyuOToM8o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cosmo20002
01-28-2016, 10:46 PM
How does this state an issue relevant here?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GUtyuOToM8o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://rlv.zcache.com/tv_addict_funny_zombie_mousepad-rb5142a3d32fd4eca878e61c6d47ae22e_x74vi_8byvr_324.jpg

Baby Lee
01-28-2016, 11:06 PM
Sorry Marada, looks like I drug some dog shit in on my shoe.

BlackHelicopters
01-29-2016, 05:10 AM
Big business

Nightfyre
01-29-2016, 07:17 AM
I don't see a problem with the Army/National Guard paying the NFL for marketing events.

ChiefGator
01-29-2016, 08:01 AM
I don't see a problem with the Army/National Guard paying the NFL for marketing events.

Yep, exactly.

And they need to, isn't signing up for the military in general down over the last ten to fifteen years?

cosmo20002
01-29-2016, 09:19 AM

I don't either, but the way it is presented, they make it SEEM like it is some altruistic noble gesture by the Chiefs when it really isn't at all.
Maybe it shouldn't matter to the fans...we get to clap for a veteran and they get applauded, but when people hear the Chiefs got paid to do that, some people might feel a little duped. It's definitely not a goodwill gesture from the Chiefs.
The Royals do the "salute a veteran" thing as well. I don't know if they are paid, but I'd assume so.

BigRedChief
01-29-2016, 09:39 AM
I don't see a problem with the Army/National Guard paying the NFL for marketing events.Neither do I. They need to recruit. A football game seems to be a good place to so some targeted marketing for your message.

The problem I have was that it was not labeled a marketing commercial. I was under the belief that we were honoring our service men because they have earned it, not because the Chiefs has been paid.

Earthling
01-29-2016, 01:35 PM
This would have been much more palatable if the money was then donated to Wounded Warriors or something.

Cheater5
01-29-2016, 06:45 PM
This would have been much more palatable if the money was then donated to Wounded Warriors or something.

Hmm. I get our point, but there are quite a few "non profit" organizations better than the lie that is the Wounded Warrior Project.

BigRedChief
01-29-2016, 06:51 PM
Hmm. I get our point, but there are quite a few "non profit" organizations better than the lie that is the Wounded Warrior Project.Spend the money instead of giving it to the Wounded warriors...:shake:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/28/us/wounded-warrior-project-spends-lavishly-on-itself-ex-employees-say.html?_r=0

The organization has also spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in recent years on public relations and lobbying campaigns to deflect criticism of its spending and to fight legislative efforts to restrict how much nonprofits spend on overhead.

About 40 percent of the organization’s donations in 2014 were spent on its overhead, or about $124 million, according to the charity-rating group Charity Navigator. While that percentage, which includes administrative expenses and marketing costs, is not as much as for some groups, it is far more than for many veterans charities,

listopencil
01-29-2016, 10:31 PM
Posting a Q is the only way I get any got damned attention around here.

You could always start another game thread.

DaneMcCloud
01-29-2016, 10:35 PM
How else are they supposed to recruit?

Using a Godsmack song on a TV commercial during CSI isn't effective in 2016.

eDave
01-29-2016, 10:37 PM

^ Dead man.

Baby Lee
01-29-2016, 10:37 PM

http://i.imgur.com/ywQ8lmp.gif?noredirect

Bowser
01-29-2016, 10:38 PM

http://i.imgur.com/Zjwo4.gif?noredirect

Baby Lee
01-29-2016, 10:41 PM
Neither do I. They need to recruit. A football game seems to be a good place to so some targeted marketing for your message.

The problem I have was that it was not labeled a marketing commercial. I was under the belief that we were honoring our service men because they have earned it, not because the Chiefs has been paid.

Do you also assume Mulder and Scully remark on the convenience of a backup camera on the new Toyota Carolla because it's integral to the plot?

Baby Lee
01-29-2016, 10:42 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Zjwo4.gif?noredirect

eDave remarked upon seeing the newscast, 'if I have lost Bert, I have lost America.'

Bowser
01-29-2016, 10:47 PM
How else are they supposed to recruit?

Using a Godsmack song on a TV commercial during CSI isn't effective in 2016.

I'd love to hear how many bumps you've made in your down time with that heavy riff guitar sound.....

Bowser
01-29-2016, 10:48 PM
eDave remarked upon seeing the newscast, 'if I have lost Bert, I have lost America.'

The problem is, eDave IS a criminal. At least around here. NEVAH FERGIT!!!!

Bowser
01-29-2016, 10:49 PM
(I keed, eDave. You're the shit, even if you did fuck up our playoff game. I KEED AGAIN!!!)

Baby Lee
01-29-2016, 10:59 PM
(I keed, eDave. You're the shit, even if you did fuck up our playoff game. I KEED AGAIN!!!)

I can't imagine being in a place where everything in crumbling around me, and I must face the unassailable fact 'I should have left this in the more capable hands of bigolKCnastynut!!'