PDA

View Full Version : 2016 NFL Draft: Edge Defenders

kccrow
01-28-2016, 09:03 PM
Post your scouting reports and thoughts on edge defenders (3-4 OLB/4-3 DE) here.

kccrow
01-31-2016, 02:13 AM
Correa is a compact player for the defensive end position but will fit in well as an outside or inside linebacker in a 3-4 defense in the NFL. Sports an explosive first step and excellent burst to get into defenders quickly. Maintains good balance and uses his hands extremely well to fight off lineman. Can jolt lineman backwards on initial contact. Excellent closing speed to the ball-carrier. Very good recovery speed and change of direction ability to make second effort plays. Great lateral quickness to make plays away from his area. Can get skinny and slip past blockers. Plays the run very well, especially for his size. An impact pass rusher. Sports the athletic ability to also make a move inside, similar to Jaime Collins in New England. Size, competition, and a deep draft along the defensive front may be the only reasons Correa may slip in this draft.

kccrow
02-03-2016, 03:44 PM
Schobert is a compact player as an EDGE defender and should continue to fit there as a situation player, but might be best as an inside linebacker in a 3-4 defense in the NFL unless he can bulk up. Sports a solid first step and good burst to get into defenders quickly. Maintains good balance and uses his hands extremely well to fight off lineman, great hand placement off the snap. Adequate punch but doesn't jolt lineman backwards on initial contact. Good, not elite, closing speed to the ball-carrier. Good recovery speed and change of direction ability to make second effort plays. Sports enough lateral quickness to make plays away from his area. Can get skinny and slip past blockers. Plays the run relatively well, especially for his size, but can get washed out at times based purely on his size. An impact pass rusher. Sports the athletic ability make a move inside, similar to Jaime Collins in New England. Shows enough ability to cover Tight Ends and Running Backs in space. Needs to get stronger, especially in his upper body. Made big plays against two of the better O-lines in college football in Alabama and Iowa. Former walk-on that needs to continue adding weight and muscle, but the desire and abilities are there.

Not too many differences between Correa and Schobert in my opinion, although I think Correa can make more of an impact at OLB as a rookie.

kccrow
02-04-2016, 02:17 PM
I'm not going to do a full-on write up of Robinson but I do want to mention him. He's a guy I see more as a 4-3 WOLB than a 3-4 OLB simply due to his size. At 6'3" 239, he's similar to Schobert of Wisconsin. He brings alot of the same attributes to the table as Schobert and, likewise, I see his best chance in a 3-4 as a SILB. One thing that will benefit Robinson is that he was dropped into coverage quite a bit more as a Senior. Just a guy to keep an eye on in the process.

Wilson8
02-06-2016, 04:02 PM
I really liked Victor Ochi a lot from the Shrine practices and game. His size of 6'2" and 256 is a problem but he can really motor and get to the QB. He also has long arms, 33 inches, that help him in his battles with the OT and his reach for the QB.

I really liked him for a later round pick to be used as a pass rusher and special teams player, but unfortunately his draft stock may have risen so much that he is no longer a bargain.

Saccopoo
02-06-2016, 07:56 PM
They'll have to bolster it in the later rounds due to the expenditure on Ford and Houston's contract. Zombo also had a good season. However, they do need someone in there that starts pushing Ford to get him to ramp up his game and to see if they can improve on the athleticism, or lack thereof, of Zombo. Moses is a jag.

Everyone was really high on Ochi, though I've never seen him. Absolutely love Tyrone Hughes from Montana. Absolutely relentless with a high level of athleticism.

O.city
02-07-2016, 12:50 PM
Minnesota DE josh Gordan. Can he play olb

Saccopoo
02-07-2016, 01:04 PM
Minnesota DE josh Gordan. Can he play olb

DeVondre Campbell of Minnesota as well. Dude had a very nice year as a senior and is prototype in terms of size/length. (92 tackles from the OLB position in 2015.)

Just starting to scratch the surface IMO after starting his college career at Hutchinson JC.

He was one of the standouts during the Shrine game week.

A tall, athletic linebacker who could cover the field and make plays, Campbell was like a ptyedactyl. He could rush the passer, stop the run and drop into coverage. He finished third on the team with 92 tackles, including six-and-a-half tackles-for-loss with a team-high four sacks. Campbell also broke up three passes to go along with an interception and forced fumble.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/minn/sports/m-footbl/auto_aa_storywide_new/11452803.jpeg

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PPkr51nrRyc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jonzie04
02-21-2016, 02:41 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-super-bowl/0ap3000000633019/Joey-Bosa-models-his-game-after-Tamba-Hali

Pretty sweet. Oh Tamba is getting old.

kccrow
02-23-2016, 10:11 PM
I've talked about Ronald Blair a bit in a couple of previous off-season plans, but now its time to start talking about this guy a whole bunch because he's starting to rise up boards. If he follows in the lines of guys I've tabbed in previous years, such as Jamie Collins (now LB for NE) or Shea McClellin (now LB for CHI), then he's going to see a meteoric rise come draft day. Some people are already talking that way:
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<iframe title="Twitter Tweet" data-tweet-id="698018839137660928" style="position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; width: 500px; height: 186.5px; padding: 0px; border: medium none; max-width: 100%; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowfullscreen="true" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="twitter-widget-0" frameborder="0"></iframe>
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

All the twitter mumble-jumble aside, I love me some Ronald Blair. This is a guy with a pro-read frame at 6'3" 272. He has a good step off the line and bends off the edge well, balanced. Explosive once he gains the edge and in pursuit to the ball carrier. Long arms. Uses his hands extremely well for a collegiate player, and will only get better. Stout run defender, can stack and shed. Gets good leverage. Plays off blocks laterally. Splits gaps, makes himself small, and has a developed swim move. Good field awareness, locates the ball carrier quickly. Physical and powerful defender, strong tackler that can lay the lumber. Has a non-stop motor and makes plays across the field. Leader.

Reminds me of a young Tamba Hali. Was great against Clemson in one of his few showings against strong competition. Great game tape overall. Currently projected round 4-5. I have him as a 3rd at this point. might rise further if he has great workouts.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wl0Rrp5VG1U" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/d0iXyVN-8KI" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SQApJa7eaqg" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><iframe class="rkaugvltgohjynnyqbhz" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" allowfullscreen="true" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" allowfullscreen="true" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" allowfullscreen="true" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" allowfullscreen="true" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" allowfullscreen="true" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" allowfullscreen="true" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0"></iframe>

kccrow
02-23-2016, 10:12 PM
not sure why my twit embed didn't work... anyhow this was it:

(https://twitter.com/dpbrugler) Late night draft thought: #AppState (https://twitter.com/hashtag/AppState?src=hash) DE Ronald Blair is one of the top-40 talents in this draft class. His tape is the real deal. - Dane Brugler

https://twitter.com/dpbrugler/status/698018839137660928

Saccopoo
02-23-2016, 10:27 PM
App State had a really great defensive backfield. It will be interesting to see Blair's numbers from the combine. I wonder if he's a product of the coverage or the coverage defense was considered so good because of Blair.

Saccopoo
02-24-2016, 12:57 AM
And I see Blair more of a 43 DE than a 34 OLB.

If we are going small school edge rusher, I think I'd rather see Montana's Tyronne Holmes at OLB than Blair. Holmes is faster and longer and was a bit more productive. Won the FCS Defensive Player of the Year.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xIv1Di9S1gc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also, Southern Utah's James Cowser, who is 6'3", 245 lb., was an absolute sack machine for his college career and owns the FCS career sacks and tackle for loss records. (And while Holmes won FCS Defensive Player of the Year, Cowser, who was third in that voting, won their Conference (Big Sky) Player of the Year honors - intradesting.)

Has a high*-end motor that never stops. FCS Defensive Player of the Year. Active pass rusher with quick hands and well*timed hand swipes at the top of his rush. Rushes from both ends and has a tight, basketball spin move from either direction that puts him in position to win. Quick second and third steps for darting inside moves. Sheds with proper timing to make the tackle. Studious in classroom and film room.

When it comes to production, there is nobody better in FCS history than Cowser who owns the all¬time records in sacks (43) and tackles for loss (80). Cowser's above average hand usage, diversity of attack and relentless motor were the keys to his FCS success, but he has to prove he is athletic enough and strong enough to become a productive NFL starter as a 3-4 outside linebacker. At worse, Cowser is a backup and special teams ace.

Both would be better fits at the 34 OLB spot than Blair IMO - even though both Houston and Hali sport larger frames/heavier. If you look at Ford, I think that's the Dorsey Decision Lens profile you get versus Hali, who has managed to remain at the OLB spot through his dedication, tenacity and professionalism despite the lack of "protoypical" physical attributes that you want in a 34 OLB.

kccrow
02-24-2016, 02:46 AM
I'll be surprised if Holmes even gets drafted. Maybe, late in the 7th.

As for Blair, he's prototype 34OLB material. He should run pretty damn well.

kccrow
02-24-2016, 11:00 AM
Edit: Wrong spot, moved to ILBs.

Saccopoo
02-28-2016, 12:17 PM
Mayock just asked Joey Bosa who he models his game after and he just said he likes watching Tamba Hali, the way he uses his hands and flips his hips.

Wilson8
02-28-2016, 12:20 PM
Victor Ochi - 4.86 40 - not good for a speed rusher

kccrow
02-28-2016, 04:31 PM
Here's some guys that hit the "decision lens" at 3-4 OLB:

Kyler Fackrell - Utah State
6'5" 245
33-1/4" arms
10-1/8" hands
4.72 forty
15 reps
34-1/2" vertical
121" broad jump

Joshua Perry - Ohio State
6'4" 254
33-7/8" arms
10-1/4" hands
4.68 forty
20 reps
33-1/2" vertical
124" broad jump

Stephen Weatherly - Vanderbilt
6'4" 267
34-1/2" arms
10-1/4" hands
4.61 forty
23 reps
31" vertical
117" broad jump

Emmanuel Ogbah - Oklahoma State
6'4" 273
35-1/2" arms
10" hands
4.63 forty
20 reps
35-1/2" vertical
121" broad
7.26 3-cone
4.50 shuttle

Matt Judon - Grand Valley State (Div. II, MI)
6'3" 275
33-7/8" arms
9-1/2" hands
4.73 forty
30 reps
35" vertical
109 broad jump
7.67 3-cone
4.52 shuttle

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-28-2016, 04:43 PM
Mayock just asked Joey Bosa who he models his game after and he just said he likes watching Tamba Hali, the way he uses his hands and flips his hips.

Yeah, was watching that. He looks pretty impressive.

kccrow
02-28-2016, 05:38 PM
Matt Judon is a guy that really has my attention. Very comparable measurements to Justin Houston coming out, albeit Houston has the edge on some things. Level of competition is a concern, but Judon dominated his competition (NCAA best 20 sacks in 2015). Brandon Carr (CB) came from the same school.

He's probably shot up from 6-7th round to 4-5th round.

Here's the comparison:

Judon
6'3" 275
33-7/8" arms
9-1/2" hands
4.73 forty
30 reps
35" vertical
109" broad jump
7.67 3-cone
4.52 shuttle

Houston
6'3" 270
34-1/2" arms
10-7/8" hands
4.68 forty
30 reps
35" vertical
125" broad jump
6.95 3-cone
4.37 shuttle

Here's some footage...

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RfL_l-0K9Vc" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Saccopoo
03-06-2016, 12:52 PM
Emmanuel Ogbah.

Just hit me like a truck in terms of our first round pick.

Length, size, good measurables.

He's on the short list. Conklin, Lynch, Ogbah, Apple. I think that's your four for the first round.

kccrow
03-06-2016, 01:18 PM
Emmanuel Ogbah.

Just hit me like a truck in terms of our first round pick.

Length, size, good measurables.

He's on the short list. Conklin, Lynch, Ogbah, Apple. I think that's your four for the first round.

I really like him, but after his combine there are talks he could go top 15.

Saccopoo
03-06-2016, 01:34 PM
I really like him, but after his combine there are talks he could go top 15.

With all of the players in the Top 15, there won't be anyone left to pick.

Someone is going to fall.

Looking at the numbers, I'm going with Conklin, Ogbah, Lynch and Apple as the four who fit the profile for our potential first round pick. One of those guys is going to be there. Maybe not though. It's going to be an interesting first round I think.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-06-2016, 03:52 PM
I hate picking so far back in the draft . Winning is overrated.

kccrow
03-06-2016, 07:19 PM
With all of the players in the Top 15, there won't be anyone left to pick.

Someone is going to fall.

Looking at the numbers, I'm going with Conklin, Ogbah, Lynch and Apple as the four who fit the profile for our potential first round pick. One of those guys is going to be there. Maybe not though. It's going to be an interesting first round I think.

My opinion is this: Teams put a premium on throwing the football and stopping teams from throwing the football. Enter in QB, LT, CB, and EDGE as your premium first round positions. Those are the guys that are going to go high and even be over-drafted. Anything else, they better be an excellent physical specimen or just flat out very, very good. You get guys like Myles Jack, Ezekiel Elliott, Laquon Treadwell, Darron Lee, and Robert Nkemdiche.

Putting this thought process into perspective, I think you cross off the following:

QB: Goff, Wentz, Lynch
RB: Elliott
WR: Treadwell
OT: Stanley, Tunsil, Spriggs
EDGE: Bosa, Buckner, Lawson, Ogbah, Spence, Floyd
DT: Nkemdiche, Robinson
LB: Jack, Lee
CB: Ramsey, Alexander, Hargreaves, Apple

After that, I think you start looking at the primary guys that will fall. I think fewer DTs will go early than are currently projected. It's a good class, but there aren't that many "incredibly dominant" defensive tackles. I think WRs are really overrated and many of them will fall. There aren't any lights out safeties unless a team puts Jalen Ramsey at safety. He's a top 5 type of pick anyhow. I think Taylor Decker falls, he's not an NFL left tackle in my opinion. I think Conklin and Spriggs go before him. That said, Conklin could just as easily be there too. He's a borderline guy for me. He might be able to handle LT in the NFL, but at this point he's more of a right tackle to me. A team could take a chance though, and I think they'd do it for him before Decker. Spriggs is alot like Eric Fisher, he needs strength work but his athleticism on the edge is off the charts. I think he's going higher than projected.

kccrow
03-08-2016, 02:19 AM
Patriot Prisco mocked Correa to the Jets at #20 :eek:

I love Correa, and he's shooting up boards (CBS has him at #69, some guy from NFL or some shit has him at #33). He's starting to get unwarranted comparisons to Clay Matthews. I dunno man, he's a really solid player I'd take in the 2nd, but he's way to linear to be a 1st rounder in my opinion.

CleveSteve
03-08-2016, 07:55 AM
I think that's a solid list, but I would not be surprised if Floyd is still around. I don't see first round player with him.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-23-2016, 07:02 PM
Right here you go, the Marcus Peters of DE's . I see the Chiefs have checked him out. This guy can flat out get to the QB. his first step is unbelievable. Anybody know where he's projected ? I think he got booted off Ohio State and played at Eastern Kentucky. The next Justin Houston. We need this guy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/S68wjetIcT4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>