PDA

View Full Version : 2016 NFL Draft: Safeties

kccrow
01-28-2016, 09:05 PM
Post your scouting reports and thoughts on safeties/tweeners (SS/OLB Hybrids and FS/CB Hybrids) here.

CleveSteve
02-10-2016, 10:25 AM
This guy has been the best player on the Houston defense for the past three years, going back to picking off Bortles on the goal line vs. UCF in 2013. He has started for Houston at corner (where he was recruited), free safety, and nickel. It seems like they let him roam around and make plays because his instincts are off the charts. He's small but he is a very sure tackler. I've seen him make one bad play in the 8-10 Houston games I've watched over the past three years, and he came back and made one of the most athletic INT's I've ever seen later that same game (last year vs. BYU.) This year, when Houston was down big against Memphis in the 4th quarter, he made a huge play on a toss where he read the play off the snap, knifed into the backfield from his safety position and was on the RB by the time the ball got to him, causing a fumble which Houston recovered. They were down two scores in the 4th quarter at this point (IIRC... might have been late 3rd quarter) and they came back to win, preserving their undefeated season at the time. I kinda hate even mentioning him here because he is the one player that if my Browns don't draft I feel like he will be the one that got away.

Urc Burry
03-14-2016, 08:59 AM
Damn just came here to post about Karl Joseph... WVU's other safety

Louis Riddick had this to say

Karl Joseph best overall DB in draft..versatile,competitive, run support, blitz, tackle, zone pattern recognition, man skills, ball skills.

If this kid didn't get hurt, he would/should be being talked about as one of best defensive players in draft. Could watch his tape all day.

Ramsey a bigger better athlete, not a better football player.

staylor26
03-14-2016, 09:29 AM
Damn just came here to post about Karl Joseph... WVU's other safety

Louis Riddick had this to say

Karl Joseph best overall DB in draft..versatile,competitive, run support, blitz, tackle, zone pattern recognition, man skills, ball skills.

If this kid didn't get hurt, he would/should be being talked about as one of best defensive players in draft. Could watch his tape all day.

Ramsey a bigger better athlete, not a better football player.

Karl Joseph is one of my favorite prospects in this years draft.

If we're truly looking at BPA at 28, he has to be in play.

Urc Burry
03-14-2016, 09:51 AM
Yeah I'm not sure where he's projected to go, but I'm definitely a fan. He reminds me of Tyrann Mathieu a bit. Extremely versatile, and plays way bigger than his size

O.city
03-14-2016, 10:39 AM
You know what, Joseph makes alot of sense.

He can be the third safety right away, is very versatile a d can probably be a nickel cb as well.

Seems to check alot of boxes

RunKC
03-14-2016, 10:48 AM
No love for DeAndre Houston-Carson? Tall guy with solid speed who was a man CB before going to safety. Very good production, ball skills and football IQ.

Urc Burry
03-14-2016, 10:49 AM
I'll admit.. I didn't know a lot about him before the Riddick tweets.. But I already may be sold on him. The dude is a stud
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/INOG00WUbkg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/fo6_AlMemOA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Urc Burry
04-01-2016, 07:43 AM
That's why I was pimping Joseph so hard. He's my favorite in the class, and I think he could play deep, box, and in the slot. He's a game changer and I'm all for it as long as his medical checks out. I would prefer corner, but if Jackson, Alexander, and Apple are all gone then I'd be all for it

staylor26
04-01-2016, 08:07 AM
I'll admit.. I didn't know a lot about him before the Riddick tweets.. But I already may be sold on him. The dude is a stud
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/INOG00WUbkg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/fo6_AlMemOA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My favorite prospect in the draft this year. Hope he's on Dorsey's short list at 28.

smith11
04-02-2016, 01:42 AM
My favorite prospect in the draft this year. Hope he's on Dorsey's short list at 28.

do you downgrade him at all for concussion risk...great looking player but looks like he leads with his head alot

Chief Northman
04-03-2016, 04:28 PM
I think this safety class has been overshadowed by the strength at DL and corner. Even though there may not be blue chippers outside of Ramsey, there is much quality available at the position. Given league trends to see multiple safeties employed in defensive sub-packaging, there is no doubt many young prospects can have meaningful impact to defensive schemes around the league.

Just because the Chiefs picked up two safeties in FA recently doesn't mean they will ignore the position come the draft. There are good prospects available and hopefully a steal or bargain of a pick comes KC's way as a result of the position being overlooked...

Chiefshrink
04-03-2016, 07:45 PM
Definitely a thumper for sure and will take on anybody.